Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,842 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

ASUU Gives New Conditions To FG - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Gives New Conditions To FG (57890 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike / ASUU And ASUP Strike: How Have You Been Spending Your Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Gives New Conditions To FG by opylas(m): 12:33am On Nov 10, 2013
Bossforeva: Mtchew! Strike should go on till Jan. Currently enjoying my work.
What work gan sef? Hw much r u getting?! Evry1's saying nxt yr, una no get plans? una nor dey think?? U beta start thinking str8. m sure u'r @ home doing nothing! U'r jst one of dem guys claiming to b making money.

LB: I hv bn reading many comments lyk urs, sry I took it on urs.

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Gives New Conditions To FG by Swiftboy(m): 3:33am On Nov 10, 2013
greatgod2012: All i'm interested in is that the strike should be called off. The students have suffered enough! Their time have been wasted enough! Haba! Do they want them to grow grey hairs before they are back to school The president tried and showed a quality of a good leader by negotiating, persuading and appealing the ASUU, yet, we haven't heard anything about calling off the strike! Sometimes, it's wise to shift ground because of a certain reason, wich they (ASUU) can do because of the students' life and time that are involved, but seems they aint concerned. This is not fair o.

I Know you just want to go back to school but its not good enough if the problems still persist! I think its lame for FG to wait for ASUU to compel them to do what they ought to have done...you dont know politicians,they are good at reserving funds for looting.At first I almost tot Nigeria does not have money{at least thats what they try to tell us}my sister its not ASUU,Its FG!They should do the right thing so student can resume for good...so that ASUU wont have to go on strike again!
Re: ASUU Gives New Conditions To FG by dikenna: 5:50am On Nov 10, 2013
utumunta: This is what you get when you put extremists in positions of Authority. From Nasir Faggae, Kwankwaso, Ahmadinejad to Buhari, what we have are men who must have their way against the collective good of the people.
Nigerian students, whenever your lecturers decide to call off the strike and you get back to school; ensure that those lecturers who do not know what they teach, demand for monetary or sexual gratification, guilty of plagiarism and pretended intellectuals are exposed for the frauds that they are. It is high time they are held accountable and made to up their ante. Government cannot fulfill their own side of the bargain with the lecturers only for the students to be shortchanged by lecturers. Since ASUU is interested in arresting the decay in the education sector, let the students help and arrest the rot within their various universities. Say no to the culture of impunity pervading our universities, occassioned by the lecturers.
This is a nice one but the major question here is are the students ready to read? Exposing the inadequacies of the lectures would also expose that of the students too. Truth be told there are even students who go seducing lecturers for marks. So its a two way thing. Very sad situation occuring in our tertiary institutions

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ASUU Gives New Conditions To FG by dechif(m): 6:18am On Nov 10, 2013
Please i want to know if calling ASUU' strike off will automatically call off that polytechnic since it is the same 2009 MoU
Re: ASUU Gives New Conditions To FG by dechif(m): 6:25am On Nov 10, 2013
please i want to know if calling off ASUU's strike will automatically call off that of polytechnic
Re: ASUU Gives New Conditions To FG by dechif(m): 6:26am On Nov 10, 2013
please i want to know if calling off ASUU's strike will automatically call off that of polytechnic since it is the same 2009 MoU
Re: ASUU Gives New Conditions To FG by paragon40(m): 7:28am On Nov 10, 2013
The strike by Academic Staff Union of
Universities (ASUU) may end on or before
15th November,2013 if feelers from the
union’s zonal congresses are anything to go by.
Journalists gathered from reliable sources that
the national leadership had briefed the zonal
chapters of the union on the outcome of the
recent meeting with President Goodluck
Jonathan.
A source close to the leadership told
journalists in Zaria yesterday that “The zonal
congresses where held on Wednesday 6th
November, 2013. For example, the Kano Zone
meeting was held at the Ahmadu Bello
University (ABU) Zaria.
“At the end of the meeting the body language
of ASUU chairmen that make up the zone and
attended the meeting indicated that they may
accept the offer of the president, but you
know this depends on the outcome of the
congresses of the various universities that make
up each zone.
“All the universities in Nigeria that are
participating in the strike will now hold their
individual congresses on Monday, 11th
November,2013 to brief their lecturers on
what the president has offered. If majority of
the lecturers in every university agree to accept
the offer of the federal government, it means
that the national leadership of ASUU will call
off the strike on or before Friday, 15th
November,2013 as all the results of the
congresses would have been collated latest by
Wednesday.
“We are optimistic but it depends on the
decision that individual lecturers would make,”
the source said.
Chairman of ASUU-ABU Zaria chapter, Dr.
Muhammad Kabir Aliyu, confirmed that ABU
Zaria would have its congress on Monday next
week. Source osundefender
Re: ASUU Gives New Conditions To FG by nairacodedcom(m): 9:24am On Nov 10, 2013
ASUU 0 : 0 FG. Half time. Let's wait for the second half
Re: ASUU Gives New Conditions To FG by Heffalump(m): 9:32am On Nov 10, 2013
Alert! Alert!! Alert!! ALARMMMM..... There are many ASUU members on this forum!!! Watch your back. However, the truth must prevail at all times. Both FG and ASUU have their roles to play to better the university education system in Nigeria. As it stands, there are many rotten eggs among university lecturers currently, and such must be weeded out! Is it extortion from students? sexual harassment against female students (previous internet video uploads have proven this)? plagiarism and clueless behaviour? Poor, shallow knowledge and dumbness? sadism? victimization? poor lecturer-student relationship? Very poor pedagogical delivery and research?...........Please name them. All these have contributed to more than 50% debasement/ devaluation of our tertiary educational system.

I therefore posit that FG should give their own conditions and make this damn agreement a ratio 50:50.

(good and sincere fellas, pls watch the reactions of ASUU members on this forum, because the truth has been spoken)

WE MUST ALL FIGHT COLLECTIVELY TO MAKE NIGERIA BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: ASUU Gives New Conditions To FG by Onosbillion(m): 10:58am On Nov 10, 2013
The issue at hand is that of trust. ASUU do not trust FG, and can never trust FG again. Just like the saying "Ashawo nor dey fall mugu twice". So, to ensure that this "promisory note" of the FG, be implemented, this new step taking by ASUU is a good one. It is very easy to make promises but difficult to fulfil them. If FG can not honour the 2009 agreement it entered into with ASUU, then what is the probability that the FG will honour this one at hand? To me, if FG agrees with this ASUU's new step, then, probity is assured. As a matter of fact government should be honest to their subjects so that their credibility will not be doubted. Education should be regarded as "primos inter pares non secondum". That's my stake on this.
Re: ASUU Gives New Conditions To FG by Nobody: 11:27am On Nov 10, 2013
All i want is to be a signatory to that agreement. I wan follow sign am. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: ASUU Gives New Conditions To FG by benity: 12:02pm On Nov 10, 2013
Benue State Governor, Gabriel Suswam, has alleged that the strike embarked upon by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) was aimed at bringing down the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan.

In an interview with our correspondent, Suswam, who is the chairman of the Federal Government's Needs Assessment Committee for Nigerian Universities said: "ASUU's leadership is determined that PDP government must be brought down and the easiest way to do it is ensuring that every family is affected. And so, the Nigerian family will simply say, 'look, to keep this government in place, our children will be out of school. So it is better that we kick this government out and bring another government.

"That is all they are doing. There is nothing to it. Otherwise, the Federal Government has touched on all the requests that led to the strike by ASUU. They have no basis rather than playing politics with the strike and then holding the nation hostage and destroying the future of this country."

Buttressing his claim, Suswam said: "I feel that if it is not that they have introduced politics, you know people can't say that they don't have political leanings. ASUU's leadership, we know where they are standing in this whole political process. They can't deny that they are sympathising with opposition parties and they are determined to destroy the PDP government. That is what they are doing and it is nothing more than that."

The Benue State governor, who had attended several meetings with ASUU on government side, said the nine issues raised by the academic union had been attended to, though not 100 per cent.

He said: "I think that it is unfair. And I keep saying it that they have introduced politics into it. It's purely political. There is no way that any person can say any other thing. It is just to portray the government in bad light so that people will say that you have a government that is not capable of keeping the children in school. That is pure politics. There is nothing more to it because if you present nine issues and all of them have been attended to, even if not attended to 100 per cent, at least you should appreciate that efforts have been made and you should say that it is okay because this has been done.

"There were a lot of issues that were presented. Constitution of governing councils has been done; they said they should help them set up pension administrator, N250 million was given to them; they said they wanted the properties of universities handed over to them, government said go and form companies and compete, we will do that. You know a couple of other things, the need assessment, an initial N100 billion has been distributed.

"The retirement age, they say they don't want to retire at 65, it has been approved, all the academic staff in the university retire at 70. Earned allowance, out of N57 billion, N30 billion has been given."

Suswam said the issue that had kept the universities closed were not because government could not pay salaries but the earned allowances, adding, "Academic staffs of universities collect more than civil servants in this country.... They have been paying that consistently and nobody is being owed salary. These are issues of allowance.

"This earned allowance; it is not every lecturer in the university that is entitled to it. So, why must it be a reason why you keep the children out of school? It doesn't make sense and I am surprised most Nigerian are looking at this differently. If in a nation, the whole leaders of tomorrow are being kept out of school, then its means that in future, you can imagine the kind of leaders we would have."

Recalling his involvement in the efforts to resolve the crisis in the Nigerian university system, Suswam said when he was invited by the President to chair the Needs Assessment part of the ASUU strike, he took the responsibility very seriously.

"Out of this three weeks, may be I spent like just four days in Benue because I was determined that we must raise money for this Needs Assessment. And within those three weeks, that committee which I chaired was able to raise the N100 billion, which has since been shared. Once we shared that money, this people (ASUU) moved to other areas; which is issue of earned allowances, which was being handled by the SGF", he said
Re: ASUU Gives New Conditions To FG by Oludrex(m): 12:22pm On Nov 10, 2013
iwanchop: ASUU has taken the right step,once beaten twice shy.

U dey ma.d abi, or Na because Uni ilorin U and Ur younger brother dey abi?
Re: ASUU Gives New Conditions To FG by Nobody: 12:53pm On Nov 10, 2013
Some people are really short-sighted. U are advocating for higher pay please advocate that this lecturers pls stop harrasing female students also stop failing students without cause teach them what is to be taught stop pouring page by page of textbooks.....
Re: ASUU Gives New Conditions To FG by ZacckyOchai: 2:39pm On Nov 10, 2013
Make I hear say ASUU call off this strike without proper documents being signed, then, I go say waiten lecturers d teach us 4 class na rubbish!
Re: ASUU Gives New Conditions To FG by samuelkew(m): 3:04pm On Nov 10, 2013
Season film ends when it end.
Re: ASUU Gives New Conditions To FG by masterquaz(m): 3:07pm On Nov 10, 2013
Yes.... Sealing this agreement with proper documentatn is the only way to avoid future misunderstandns. Pray d whol problm wud be over this week.
Re: ASUU Gives New Conditions To FG by dayoade2007(m): 3:30pm On Nov 10, 2013
Mr. Minister, u no do wel o
Re: ASUU Gives New Conditions To FG by skyfall: 4:30pm On Nov 10, 2013
I love this new ASUU (nASUU). I guess their motivation for fight-to-finish this time is that they see the FG wasting billions of naira everyday on bullet-proof cars, N1bn feeding allowance etc. They've realised that this is a dishonourable govt.
Re: ASUU Gives New Conditions To FG by freshblazine(f): 5:02pm On Nov 10, 2013
Anuoluwap:
young ke?
#confused
Re: ASUU Gives New Conditions To FG by bobbynelson: 6:01pm On Nov 10, 2013
Both can go and f**k dem self men I'm on my 3d swag
Re: ASUU Gives New Conditions To FG by saintNinoBran(m): 9:00pm On Nov 10, 2013
Hmmmmmm, ASUU shld becarefull wth the governments abt dis new condition and dey shld as well endeavour to call off the strike wth immediate effect.
Re: ASUU Gives New Conditions To FG by AdeKamal(m): 7:21am On Nov 11, 2013
[quote
author=L.M Ayedun..]Members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities
have given the Federal Government certain conditions to be met before
the union could call off its four-month old strike.

Part of this condition, Saturday PUNCH learnt, is that all federal
parastatals in charge of fund, labour, and education must sign the
agreement purportedly reached between its leadership and the Federal
Government on Tuesday.

A prominent member of the union, who craved anonymity because he was not
authorised to speak on behalf of the union, told Saturday PUNCH that
doing this would give the association the confidence that “the Federal
Government knows what it is doing when it signed the agreement.”

He said, “I must tell you that our mandate remains. The only mandate we
have is that 2009 agreement must be met. We have not reached any
agreement with the Federal Government.

“Since the Federal Government  wants to be releasing N220bn every
year for five years, then all monetary and regulatory agencies must
sign. The  Central Bank of Nigeria, Ministries of Finance and
Labour, National Assembly, Office of the Presidency, National
Universities Commission, Tertiary Education Trust Fund, Trade Union
Congress and our umbrella body, the Nigeria Labour Congress, must sign
with consequences stated.

“The reason we will ensure this is that we don’t want argument tomorrow
that the agreement was entered in error or that they don’t know the
implication of signing the agreement. If possible, documents that will
provide for automatic deduction of the agreed money at a
particular/agreed date must be provided.”

The leadership of the union had engaged in a 13-hour marathon meeting
with  government delegation  led by President Goodluck
Jonathan in Abuja between Monday and Tuesday.

Though it was generally perceived that both ASUU and the Federal
Government  achieved breakthrough in negotiation for the first time
after the lengthy meeting with the President, Saturday PUNCH learnt
that the lecturers might not be  in a hurry to go back to class.

Another  source close to ASUU who was also part of the marathon
meeting  with the President in Abuja, said there was nothing new in
what the President promised members of the union.

According to him, government had always failed in implementing
agreements reached with ASUU. He said, “Truly the President sat down for
more than 13 hours with us. He told us that we were not leaving the
venue until the issues were resolved.  The Federal Government also
promised to inject funds into the system, but a promissory note is not
enough.

“Where would the money come from? There  is no assurance that
government will provide money especially with the mop-up policy in place
that ensures that unspent money is refunded to government’s coffers at
the end of every year.’’

Asked when the lecturers would call off the strike, he said, “I doubt if
the strike is ending soon.  The problem is with the Finance
Minister. Where is government getting N1trn  from? A government
that could not implement agreement between 2009 and 2013, what is the
guarantee that they would honour this agreement.

“It is all politics.  We are still awaiting directives from our
branches. We have told them the outcome of the meeting with the
President but we are waiting for them to tell us what they think of
government’s proposal.

“Imagine the Minister of Education has travelled out of the country. He
was appointed Vice President for UNESCO General Assembly.  How can
he travel out of the country without resolving the crisis in the
education sector?’’

He said the Federal Government should spend the trillions of dollars in
its Sovereign Wealth Fund to finance university education and improve
infrastructure in the country.

A key component of the agreement reached by both ASUU and the Federal
Government was that government would inject N1.1trn into public
universities in the next five years. Government is expected to inject
N220bn yearly into the public university sector beginning from
2014.  But government said it could only release N100bn this year,
noting that the amount had already been processed.

The Federal Government also indicated that the N1.1trn would be
domiciled at the Central Bank of Nigeria to show its commitment to the
agreement. The money is expected to be released on quarterly basis to
the universities so that there won’t be any problem about funding the
deal.

The National Universities Commission and the Trade Union Congress will
be the joint guarantors of the agreement while the Minister of Education
will be the implementing officer. Government, according to sources at
the meeting, also agreed to revamp public universities by ensuring that
all the issues that always lead to strike are dealt with once and for
all.

Asked to confirm if lecturers were planning to call off their strike,
ASUU Chairman, University of Calabar branch, Dr. James Okpiliya, said
the local chapter was yet to get formal briefing on the meeting with
President Goodluck Jonathan.

He, however, said the union would make its position known to the press
on the President’s offer after the end of a meeting scheduled for
mid-night Thursday.

Also, Chairman of ASUU in Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Prof.
Adegbola Akinola, said that members must be properly briefed on the
resolution between the Federal Government and representatives of ASUU in
the last marathon meeting.

He said the only condition that could make its members accept any offer
would be the provision of necessary documents.

He said, “The NEC meeting may not hold now. It is the local congress
that is expected to hold first which is either tomorrow or Monday.

“Our members are not yet briefed about the details, so it is when we
meet that we will know the details and then discuss whether what we got
is sufficient enough to justify our action or demand.

“I can’t really pre-empt the mind of other members. But if we are to
accept any offer, there must be document to back that up. We need to
obtain documents on that. Maybe if there is a document, people may look
at it critically.”

However, the Federal Government said it would include the N1.1trn
promised ASUU in the education budget starting from next year. It also
said it was waiting for the union to know the next step to take.

The Director, Press and Public Relations of the Ministry of Education,
Mr. Olu Lipide, told one of our correspondents on Thursday that
government was waiting for ASUU to take the necessary steps.

Meanwhile, the Dean of Social Sciences, University of Lagos, Prof.
Omololu Soyombo, has said that the general ASUU body must agree before
the strike could be called off.

He said, “It is difficult to believe the President but we give him the
benefit of doubt. We believe that the President is noble, the ASUU
president promised to give him a feedback. If this had been done
earlier, the strike wouldn’t have extended for so long.”

Corroborating his view, the Chairman, Lagos State University, ASUU, Dr.
Jamiu Oluwatoki said, “It won’t be long again. By next week there should
be a NEC meeting and subsequently the congress meetings before the
president can call off the strike.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/ASUU-seeks-watertight-deal-from-fg/?[/quote]

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

IMT Student And His "Customised Vehicle" Storm School In Enugu. Photos / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? / See Why Male Students Don't Pay Attention In School (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.