Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,987 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:18 PM

ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike (49159 Views)

ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike (read) / ASUU Gives New Conditions To FG / Governor Lamido Appeals To ASUU To End Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by Mikechinos(m): 3:08pm On Nov 25, 2013
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has given three conditions to be tabled before President Goodluck Jonathan today. If the terms are acceptable to the Federal Government, the union will call off the strike.

The ASUU leadership has banned its local chapters and zonal chairmen from talking to the media until after the session with the President.

ASUU President Dr. Nasir Issa Fagge and other leaders of the union were being expected in Abuja last night.

According to a source, who was part of the ASUU session at Mambayya House in Kano, the conditions are:

•Commitment from the President that any review or reconsideration or renegotiation of the 2009 Agreement will not substantially affect the pact which is the cause of the ongoing strike;

•Immediate payment of all outstanding salary arrears and allowances of varsity teachers without victimization; and

•A written commitment from the President that the Federal Government will commit N225billion annually to the funding of universities for the next four years.

There is a fourth condition, which is said to be “personal” to ASUU, bordering on the need to be wary of gradual loss of public sympathy.

The union leaders were said to have recognised public goodwill for the strike and the need to avert any action that could erode such confidence.

The source said: “Our leaders are meeting with the President on Monday to table these conditions. Once the President accepts these three terms, the strike will be called off.

“In principle, members voted about 60-40 per cent to call off the strike, but they added a caveat – that ASUU leaders should extract a commitment (signed and sealed) from the President.

The union is said to have insisted on the three conditions because during talks with the Federal Government, it was apparent that the government wanted a renegotiation of the 2009 Agreement.

“If ASUU had accepted to renegotiate the entire Agreement , it means there will be no basis for the ongoing strike. The worst that can happen is either having the abridged version of the 2009 Agreement or a phased implementation of the document,” the source added.

The Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko (AAUA), Ondo State became at the weekend the third institution to break ranks with the striking union.

It asked its students to return to the campus today. Lecture are to start on December 2, according to the Registrar, Mr. Bamidele Olotu.

Enugu State University of Technology (ESUT), Enugu, and the Ibrahim Badamosi University, Lapai, in Niger State had earlier directed the reopening of the schools.

The registrar directed students to begin their registration on the school portal immediately.

AAUA Student Union President Julius Adeniyi welcomed the resumption plan and assured his fellow students of a hitch-free semester.

He said: “We are dying and wasting away our time at home; and I am backing my Vice Chancellor on the resumption date. We are coming in and nothing will happen.”

http://www.nigerianeye.com/2013/11/latest-on-strike-ASUU-gives-three.html

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by Mikechinos(m): 3:10pm On Nov 25, 2013
Here is d link 411diary.com/?p=3533

1 Like

Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by link2ok(m): 4:04pm On Nov 25, 2013
I cnt believe am actually on FP! Wat a day 2rememba! Wnt to dedicate this victory to my pastor who tru his constant prayer made me attain dis height,2d deacons in ma church and entire member who have prayed tirelessly for me, also wnt to say a big thnk u @home who gave me this opportunity,praying that soon it wuld b ur day! Thank U,gracia,inapenga. I love U.

18 Likes

Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by kings009(m): 4:15pm On Nov 25, 2013
If they like... undecided
Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by cumpaddre(m): 5:07pm On Nov 25, 2013
link2ok: I cnt believe am actually on FP! Wat a day 2rememba! Wnt to dedicate this victory to my pastor who tru his constant prayer made me attain dis height,2d deacons in ma church and entire member who have prayed tirelessly for me, also wnt to say a big thnk u @home who gave me this opportunity,praying that soon it wuld b ur day! Thank U,gracia,inapenga. I love U.
Are u dreaming?

5 Likes

Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by senrino(m): 5:54pm On Nov 25, 2013
link2ok: I cnt believe am actually on FP! Wat a day 2rememba! Wnt to dedicate this victory to my pastor who tru his constant prayer made me attain dis height,2d deacons in ma church and entire member who have prayed tirelessly for me, also wnt to say a big thnk u @home who gave me this opportunity,praying that soon it wuld b ur day! Thank U,gracia,inapenga. I love U.

Nt oonly ur pastoor,u 4 tnx d ooracle 4ur vila join...'Villa juju' grin grin ;Dal diz na ASUU fault #teamblameitonASUU

1 Like

Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by senrino(m): 5:56pm On Nov 25, 2013
Mike chinos: After almost five months of failed
negotiations, Nigerian university lecturers
have agreed to end the ongoing strike.
However, the teachers, under the umbrella of
the Academic Staff Union of Universities
(ASUU) have stated three conditions which
must be met before the strike could be called
off.
The conditions will be presented to President
Goodluck Jonathan along with the Federal
Government team today and if all parties are
in agreement with the terms, the strike
would be called off.
Nigerian Eye reports:
The ASUU leadership has banned its local
chapters and zonal chairmen from talking to
the media until after the session with the
President. ASUU President Dr. Nasir Issa
Fagge and other leaders of the union were
being expected in Abuja last night.
According to a source, who was part of the
ASUU session at Mambayya House in Kano,
the conditions are:
•Commitment from the President that
any review or reconsideration or
renegotiation of the 2009 Agreement
will not substantially affect the pact
which is the cause of the ongoing strike;
•Immediate payment of all outstanding
salary arrears and allowances of varsity
teachers without victimization; and
•A written commitment from the
President that the Federal Government
will commit N225billion annually to the
funding of universities for the next four
years.
There is a fourth condition, which is said to
be “personal” to ASUU, bordering on the
need to be wary of gradual loss of public
sympathy.
The union leaders were said to have
recognised public goodwill for the strike and
the need to avert any action that could erode
such confidence.
The source said: “Our leaders are meeting
with the President on Monday to table these
conditions. Once the President accepts these
three terms, the strike will be called off.
“In principle, members voted about 60-40
percent to call off the strike, but they added
a caveat – that ASUU leaders should extract a
commitment (signed and sealed) from the
President.
The union is said to have insisted on the
three conditions because during talks with
the Federal Government, it was apparent that
the government wanted a renegotiation of
the 2009 Agreement.
“If ASUU had accepted to renegotiate the
entire Agreement , it means there will be no
basis for the ongoing strike. The worst that
can happen is either having the abridged
version of the 2009 Agreement or a phased
implementation of the document,” the source
added.

Fake news.... No source... angry angry angry
Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by immkels(m): 6:01pm On Nov 25, 2013
Lmao. I pray this is true tho! I was thinking I'd be hearing shouts of joy if They called it off Buh my area is quite calm. BTW FP things└(^o^)┘

1 Like

Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by Nobody: 6:45pm On Nov 25, 2013
Congratz grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by Bash92(m): 6:46pm On Nov 25, 2013
Mikel and Moses need your vote to win the BBC
African footballer of the year.
The voting is closing tonight. www.nairaland.com/1531069/lets-vote-mikel-moses-bbc

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by Cubeet: 6:47pm On Nov 25, 2013
Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by Nobody: 6:48pm On Nov 25, 2013

May the Lord continue to put you on FP... can i get an Amen please
Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by Eneze1(f): 6:48pm On Nov 25, 2013
Immediate payment of all outstanding salary arrears and allowances of varsity teachers

since they did not work for that period of time they should not be paid, IMO, no work no pay

13 Likes

Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by alkanes1(m): 6:48pm On Nov 25, 2013
What shall it profit ASUU to call off the strike when christmas is near

12 Likes

Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by Dominionng(m): 6:48pm On Nov 25, 2013
Poo ASUU news yet again!
Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by Jusmudi(m): 6:50pm On Nov 25, 2013
Abeg mak dem liv d strike till next january because man must keep workin. Bt lik dis na ist page oooo, i dedicate dis 2 moda mary d moda of all

1 Like

Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by kennyonthrone(m): 6:50pm On Nov 25, 2013
I 4see FG turnin down dia so called conditions.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by Sard(m): 6:51pm On Nov 25, 2013
space for sale.. You can contact my agent for any negotiation.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by alphaconde(m): 6:51pm On Nov 25, 2013
I don't care about the build up to the end of the strike, I don't even care if they will strike again, all I want is that this current strike be called off. How and what manner doesn't bother me. So stop all this meeting here and there and do d Needful

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by greall1: 6:51pm On Nov 25, 2013

1 Like

Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by astronautog(m): 6:51pm On Nov 25, 2013
There are two little black birds sitting on d wall,
nwannem peter, nwannem paul,.fly away peter, fly
away paul,..........

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by Allohrandy(m): 6:53pm On Nov 25, 2013
Its only in Nigeria workers will strike for days and still expect to be paid for the days they didn't work. In most western countries including America, you don't get paid for the days you missed while on strike. The national assembly should pass a law that no worker should be paid for the days they are out of work when they go on strike

10 Likes

Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by Cubeet: 6:54pm On Nov 25, 2013
ASUU, WE CANT WAIT TO RESUME

1 Like

Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by alphaconde(m): 6:54pm On Nov 25, 2013
Sard: space for sale.. You can contact my agent for any negotiation.

If you don't sell this space today, God will punish you.
Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by Spencer63(m): 6:54pm On Nov 25, 2013
a beg... who has seen season 9... I couldn't get it here in Lagos
Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by lymelyte(m): 6:55pm On Nov 25, 2013
Jusmudi: Abeg mak dem liv d strike till next january because man must keep workin. Bt lik dis na ist page oooo, i dedicate dis 2 moda mary d moda of all
My friend shaaraap!
Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by Quelme: 6:55pm On Nov 25, 2013
Vote ASUU as President come 2015...
Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by Nobody: 6:57pm On Nov 25, 2013
see this selfish group.this is one of the most one sided negotiations ever,where only one sect(ASUU) benefits.they are talking about salary when they didnt do one thing for 5 months what about the students,dont they deserve some compensation for losing almost half a year of their academic life.just call off the strike already or shut up and stop all these multiple repetitive meatpie meetings and blackmail of the govt and an entire nation.i understand ASUU wants to improve education but the are very unreasonable in their request.ASUU as una want plenty money the FG should make them account for every pencil,cement bag,light bulb,nut and screw,wire and biro they spend it on.200+billion no be beans.seun hold me i dey vex.

18 Likes

Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by sagio09: 6:58pm On Nov 25, 2013
Please we're tired of this daily update about diz ASUU,let dem call of the strike if they would.if not let dem allow us be naw.
Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by raytony: 6:59pm On Nov 25, 2013
Bash92: Mikel and Moses need your vote to win the BBC
African footballer of the year.
The voting is closing tonight. www.nairaland.com/1531069/lets-vote-mikel-moses-bbc
. Thanks, I don vote for Yaya Toure.

10 Likes

Re: ASUU Gives Conditions To End Strike by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:02pm On Nov 25, 2013
I think ASUU is getting weak and probably loosing this game.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

JAMB Exam Malpractice: Oloyede In Tears At The Release Of 2019 UTME Result / Success Adegor Is Michybal JJ Cl Kids Clothing Ambassador, Rocks Their Outfit / Hilarious Pic Of A UNIBEN Student Preparing For Exam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.