Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,853 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby - Family (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby (36074 Views)

9 Baby Names Banned By Governments / How To Make My Baby Hair Soft / How Do I Treat Navel Pain In My Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by bennysucre(f): 2:50pm On Nov 10, 2013
I can see some people already calling for a divorce, una harsh oo.

Op, if u like, follow dem. Wen ur eye clear, na under bridge u go dey sleep. Such a stupid lot here.

Call ur hubby, apologise, wen he's calm, talk things over. Its not an issue pls, don't sweat it.

I know a yoruba muslim marid to an igbo xtian n their son is a priest. Some may say that's extreme but that's what they both settled for. Dialogue is very impt in any union.

God grant you wisdom!
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by enigmatique(m): 2:51pm On Nov 10, 2013
De Beauvoir:

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

However, it will take me a very long time to completely show you how flawed your reasoning is and I am not sure I want to put myself through the stress of doing that so let me just mention a bit of what I wanted to say.

A lot of the behavior you see people displaying today has nothing to do with 'how god created them', no offense. People are conditioned into believing certain things and once they believe those things, their behavior is shaped by those things and they act in accordance with their beliefs. The mind/brain is a very powerful thing you see. It can work wonders, the thoughts you have in your brain about yourself go a long way to shape who you actually are as a person. There was a research carried out sometime ago that showed that people who believe they have good memories end up with better/improved memories than those who didn't. The only thing boosting their mental powers was their beliefs.

Even on Nairaland sometime ago, there was thread posted about some people who were raised by animals. The mature ones among them who had spent a great part of their lives believing that they were lower animals, had a difficult time adapting to the civilized world. One of them even ran back into the forest to live with her animal friends after she was rescued because she had been conditioned her whole life to believe that she was an animal.
Read it here;
https://www.nairaland.com/1494144/9-children-raised-animals

So what I'm saying is that whoever you turn out to be is greatly determined by what society shaped you into believing about yourself. People's abilities and talents and the roles they should play in life is not and should not be determined by gender.
I hope my point is clear to you, I was a bit sleepy while typing this.
You didn't really get my point. Let me reply one-by-one:
1. I agree that society has an influence, but I wish to strongly state that its influence is only part of what CAN(not will) shape anybody. I believe you know cases of people who grew up in violence-plagued societies but became peaceful adults? What about the Reconciliation process that Mandela carried out in South Africa, even though he himself grew up and suffered under the Apartheid admin? Wasn't he taught by society to hate the Whites? Why did he do otherwise?

As a Christian, with the much that I know, irrespective of society, a person's future is greatly determined by CHOICE. For example, that was why God was vexed with Adam(I assume you know the story). He wanted to know why Adam CHOSE to follow his wife's suggestion instead of the CHOOSING to follow God's instruction.

2. Believe you me, I so agree that the mind is powerful. Totally. Your mind even determines how your body responds to stress! I've read the human-raised-by-animals thread you posted before (coz it made front page back then). It's just one of the myriads of examples of the power of the mind.

All in all,I say that men and women are EQUAL(they are both human beings) but they are DIFFERENT, so they have different PURPOSES i.e what they are meant to achieve.
Let me stop here lest I say too much. Waiting for your response, if you want to.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by clnzo: 3:14pm On Nov 10, 2013
ednut1: No one force u to marry him, bear it alone abeg
no wonder ur name sounds like idiot!
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by deols(f): 3:16pm On Nov 10, 2013
luvable sam:

Ouch....it hit her where it hurts...

I still insist ...it would be a CURSE for any man to blinddate u, talkless marry u..
U really finished...I tel ya..gone beyond repairs

who is this ediot? what has this got to do with the topic?

hahahah..this dolt actually thinks that what he thinks of me matters??

blind date me?? uv been fantasizing abi? I assure you that you wouldn't walk a mile close to me, let alone raise your head to look at my face.

ok..I have seen you.. ode..

4 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by BarryX(m): 3:40pm On Nov 10, 2013
chineloSA:

What na? smiley smiley

Where have you been? A very good morning. You were missed. cheesy cheesy cheesy
grin I've been here and there ...
You were so missed too dear

So how's the "feminists" ministry going?? grin

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Biggoozz: 3:46pm On Nov 10, 2013
@Kendradrops so you discuss your marriage on Nairaland and allow kids insult your husband? Except you already have been insulting the man the way people do here, he can never have respect in your eyes again. Too bad.

3 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by ladygogo: 3:52pm On Nov 10, 2013
De Beauvoir:

I didn't receive it sad

Could you please send it again?

No o. My profiles says de beauvoir has sent you an email. Lol
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by ladygogo: 3:56pm On Nov 10, 2013
COOLDUN: Your husband is right as you confessed not speaking your language fluently; this might be his reason so that you will not teach your children bad Yoruba language. Like Great Fela Kuti said that Teacher don't teach me Nonsense !!

I suggest you beg him to allow you to teach them but not to dominate and assimilate them because the children are more Essan than Yoruba.

I know many of my brother’s children born in Yoruba land, who don’t know how to speak our native language. You don’t have to dominate the children because that is what I am sensing here. Nigeria children follow father and not mother. They're your children but their father's surname and not yours.

You have to beg your husband and not force him, because he has the upper hand on your children. In my tribe we tell people to answer their father’s name and not their mother’s name. Only bastardds that answer their mother’s name. Thank you.

cheesy cheesy
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Nobody: 3:56pm On Nov 10, 2013
kendraloops:
I was actually forced to marry him at gunpoint. Didirin!

Abeg diccck point?
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by chineloSA(f): 4:04pm On Nov 10, 2013
BarryX: grin I've been here and there ...
You were so missed too dear

So how's the "feminists" ministry going?? grin

Oooh cheesy cheesy cheesy The congregation is growing I thank the Lord. Amen.

Hope your sunday is good o. smiley smiley
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by mvem(m): 4:20pm On Nov 10, 2013
GSKing: I didn't know some people still live in the 20th century!!!
....21st century oyibo kid ,oya leave ur culture na ..
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by mvem(m): 4:23pm On Nov 10, 2013
Freiburger:
That's not a 20th century mentality, it is more like a stone age way of thinking. cheesy
.....so which one na modern thinking.......u people to dey imitate anoda person culture...u won borrow white msn culture while u have yours....dey claim modernize african
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by mvem(m): 4:23pm On Nov 10, 2013
Freiburger:
That's not a 20th century mentality, it is more like a stone age way of thinking. cheesy
.....so which one na modern thinking.......u people to dey imitate anoda person culture...u won borrow white man culture while u have yours....dey claim modernize african
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by touche(m): 4:49pm On Nov 10, 2013
This kind of shallow reasoning is the main reason why Nigeria and Africa remains undeveloped. Since its an inter-tribal marriage, what the heck is wrong with the kids speaking English, (the common language between between the op and her hubby)?
So much emphasis is placed on religion, tribe, marriage and having kids. Tell me, what major impact can the kid make in this world of ours if he is fluent in either yoruba or esan?
Is the kid going to be more successful in life if he is fluent in his mother tongue or esan?
You should focus on supporting your husband towards building a house for the family, setting up a trust fund for the kid etc rather than tribal differences.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by davo90tico(m): 4:51pm On Nov 10, 2013
Freiburger:
sad sad sad
Vat is not the solution my friend, the bible clearly stated "be fruitful and multiply" not be fruitful and multiply in ur own tribe alone pls give uplifting advice not tribal segregation and monumental apartheid. Whether igbo or yoruba or hausa, whatever the language God still gave us one head two eyes one nose one mouth and so on plus a brain with thousands of cells making us capable of understanding lots of stuf including languages. So pls stop misinterpreting things, lets not be like craig david who always walks away from the problems in his life face them after all what doesnt kill u makes u stronger
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by zaynie(f): 4:55pm On Nov 10, 2013
Dis matta neva rish lyk dis nah!
Op the case is very simple, sooner or later the boy wil undastand yoruba very well, meanwhile start teaching him esan small small; how, by getting ur husby to teach u d simplE phrases, u get to kill 3 birds wiv 1 stone(now u don't aff to look lost wen dey speak esan in his family cos u undastand it, u would aff endeared ur husby to u, ur son becomes tri-lingual). Wen husby isn't dre kall him by his yoruba name n speak ur language with him.
Patience Patience Patience
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by lobell: 4:57pm On Nov 10, 2013
De Beauvoir:

@bold, Oh please.
Human beings really know how to pretend to get what they want. If theman really wanted to marry the girl, maybe cos she was a virgin or a good cook or a very good looking person then he could have pretended to be an angel just to marry her thus keeping her from knowing his dark side smiley
@ rest of your post; the Bible clearly says that wives should submit to husbands, it doesn't say husbands should submit to wives. I don't know what religion it is you are following that teaches you that men can also submit to their wives.

It's not really pretense per se. The bible says "in the beginning, everyman bring bringeth forth the good wine and when the guests are well drunk that which is not so good". This implies that the first time I meet you and I'm getting to know you, i wont feel free to mess in your presence. frankly i would die of embarrassment but after I marry you I let go (literally) and let God. You'd be extremely naive to think that I dont poop or mess simply because when I was courting you I didn't do any of those things.
@OP There are two decisions one of which you need to make. a.) if you love peace ad treasure your marriage, do as hubby says. He'll get your respect and there'll be peace in the house for baby to grow up in a stable home. b.) If you love fight, dont do as hubby says and you might get divorced or bring up baby in a war zone and the attendant consequences. At this point I'm guessing Esan, Yoruba, English wont matter anymore.
My two kobos worth.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Nobody: 5:01pm On Nov 10, 2013
My real problem with inter tribal marriage is the ladies trying to claim the children from the husbands subtly. An aunty of mine who is Benin always struggled with her husband who is Kogi over child naming. She always fought to made sure her childrens name were benin which almost caused a break up in their marriage. She even tells the children that they are benin from time to time and the children claim to be benin now that they are grown. They often say they are benin when asked, only when quizzed further do they say their dad is Kogi. In most cases the children end up being more acquainted with their mothers culture and people than their dads' , and every man wanting to lose his identity should try inter tribal marriage, its the quickest way to lose it. Your children will never find their way back home, its the reality.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by lobell: 5:01pm On Nov 10, 2013
Biggoozz: @Kendradrops so you discuss your marriage on Nairaland and allow kids insult your husband? Except you already have been insulting the man the way people do here, he can never have respect in your eyes again. Too bad.

He's also probably a nairalander and might come across this seeing as it has made front page! I wonder how I'd feel if it happened to me. Smh for some women sha. "A wise woman builds her house but a foolish one tears it down with her hands" - from the book of proverbs (paraphrased)
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Nobody: 5:05pm On Nov 10, 2013
touche: This kind of shallow reasoning is the main reason why Nigeria and Africa remains undeveloped. Since its an inter-tribal marriage, what the heck is wrong with the kids speaking English, (the common language between between the op and her hubby)?
So much emphasis is placed on religion, tribe, marriage and having kids. Tell me, what major impact can the kid make in this world of ours if he is fluent in either yoruba or esan?
Is the kid going to be more successful in life if he is fluent in his mother tongue or esan?
You should focus on supporting your husband towards building a house for the family, setting up a trust fund for the kid etc rather than tribal differences.

Love your comment bro. You are a wise $man.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by lobell: 5:13pm On Nov 10, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Your hubby is wrong and since he has proven stubborn about it invite friends or family into the matter. You can start by telling a feiend he respects to advise him on the issue. Also tell him (assuming he speaks Esan fluently) that the baby can learn both languages. He speaks Esan, you speak Yoruba, the child learns English in school. If your hubby is not so available he should still allow you speak to the child that way since ot's better the child is fluent in an indigenous language than none.
These are one of the foolish people that set other peoples houses on fire. You're probably not married and I should not be surprised. "bring friends and family into the matter?!" WHAT MATTER!!! for goodness sake! The man says he doesn't want his son learning yoruba and that is a matter?
Answer these questions and give yourselves some brain please.

1. Baby's state of origin?
2. Baby's LGA?

The answer to the above is who baby is first and foremost. Baby can decide to be kanuri or fulani in the future but for now baby is Esan!
I'm guessing baby will be so proud of mummy when he grows up and finds out that mummy fought for him to the point of breaking up her marriage just so he can speak yoruba.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by lobell: 5:22pm On Nov 10, 2013
gothrones:
Isn't that what you have been doing all along? You claimed that the man is the head. You talked about marital roles. You have been advocating for the man's rights in almost all your comments; but heavens forbid that a woman have her own rights. The child has a first and last name given by the father; but if the mother wants to give the child a middle name, then she is "claiming rights." The child must speak the father's language, but if the mother wants the child to speak her own language too, then she is "claiming rights." I detest how women's rights in Nigeria do not matter.

What Afam is saying is that for a woman, marriage means leaving your former identity and identifying with your husbands. That is why OP was previously called Sikiratu Obadofin = Yoruba and she's now called Mrs. (she has gained a title) Sikiratu Oseronwenmenmenmen = Esan. or Mrs. S. X. Y. Z. Oseronwenmenmenmen which tells anybody anywhere that the bearer of that name is Esan. As soon as OP said 'she did' she disowned the Yoruba and identified with Esan.

2 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by kendraloops(f): 5:29pm On Nov 10, 2013
obi alfa: it doesn't matter. Satan has shown me the future of your son: At 25 years old, he will naturalise as a ghanian citizen then 7 years later marry a sierra-leonan and I can assure you that the language they will be speaking in their family will be neither yoruba nor esan.

Ur so damn silly. I guess dis comment was meant to be funny or what?
FYI, satan's gat no future to show u cos I didn't go to him for a child. Abi u fit call glo customer care to ask abt mtn's products? I'm sure twas ur children's future he showed u, ask him well.

Dim wit.

2 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Nobody: 5:32pm On Nov 10, 2013
kendraloops:

Ur so damn silly. I guess dis comment was meant to be funny or what?
FYI, satan's gat no future to show u cos I didn't go to him for a child. Abi u fit call glo customer care to ask abt mtn's products? I'm sure twas ur children's future he showed u, ask him well.

Dim wit.

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Nobody: 5:54pm On Nov 10, 2013
chineloSA:
Personally, how I would treat this is, my child has to know all his father culture, language etc before mine.

Though I do not think the guy may have meant bad, but he meant it. The son is his son hence he bears his surname.

I think you overreacted, since you said the child can still learn Yoruba either way. Teach your son all his fathers culture before yours. Your son may blame you when he does not fit in, in future. Your son is not Yoruba, he is Esan.
Even with names, he has a right to deny you to give your son a Yoruba name, its his Esan son, not Yoruba son, so you were just pushing your luck.

Are you sure you are not pregnant again cheesy cheesy cheesy
No. It would be his Father's job to teach his son how to be Esan. The mother can facilitate that but it should not be at the expense of her own culture (that may even prove more useful to the child's future if he is living in Yoruba 'territory'). He should have married within his tribe if he felt so strongly about it.

When I have my baby, his father will teach him how to speak and be Igbo, not me, who is from the Caribbean undecided.

2 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Nobody: 5:57pm On Nov 10, 2013
gothrones: Inter-tribal, inter-racial, inter-religious, etc marriages should only be for people with tolerance and understanding. If you cannot tolerate other people's culture, languages, religion, etc, abeg stay in your zone.
Correct!

1 Like

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by deols(f): 6:00pm On Nov 10, 2013
lobell:

What Afam is saying is that for a woman, marriage means leaving your former identity and identifying with your husbands. That is why OP was previously called Sikiratu Obadofin = Yoruba and she's now called Mrs. (she has gained a title) Sikiratu Oseronwenmenmenmen = Esan. or Mrs. S. X. Y. Z. Oseronwenmenmenmen which tells anybody anywhere that the bearer of that name is Esan. As soon as OP said 'she did' she disowned the Yoruba and identified with Esan.

and in what culture is this practised?

For marrying an Esan man, she becomes Esan?? You are making it seem like she's a property passed to the hubby and is now entirely his. she can no longer make claim to her ethnicity nor can she have a say in her marriage.

what part of our culture even says that a woman must change her name??

At this age and time, I didnt expect to hear many people speak this way. o ga o.

2 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Freiburger(m): 6:06pm On Nov 10, 2013
mvem: .....so which one na modern thinking.......u people to dey imitate anoda person culture...u won borrow white msn culture while u have yours....dey claim modernize african
Whats my culture? Whats the modern culture? and what do you mean by another persons's culture? Look, I know your types, you hardly takes corrections whenever you 're being urged to approach issues in a more rational manner without bringing divisions and boarderlines into it. Give me a break.

1 Like

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by lobell: 6:17pm On Nov 10, 2013
deols:

and in what culture is this practised?

For marrying an Esan man, she becomes Esan?? You are making it seem like she's a property passed to the hubby and is now entirely his. she can no longer make claim to her ethnicity nor can she have a say in her marriage.

what part of our culture even says that a woman must change her name??

At this age and time, I didnt expect to hear many people speak this way. o ga o.

It is practiced in almost every culture in the world (except in Indonesia where they dont have surnames and some tribes in Ghana where they bear the mothers' name. These are extreme exceptions). But generally sppeaking, if you marry an american, you automatically become one or qualify to become one depending on the amount of 'Red Tape' you have to cross but this is the norm everywhere. If you marry from a different nationality/culture from yours, you automatically adopt that nationality/culture. This is common knowledge except if you're from outer space which I doubt very much but if true, welcome to Earth!
I fail to see where I insinuated she's a property. Does your car or shoe become a Nupe car or an Ebira shoe when you acquire it? No!, emphatically. When she got married to her man, she automatically became a part of him something akin to his eyes or elbow or even brain. Technically she can still lay claim to her ethnicity but she now belongs to a new one (leaving her Yoruba people doesn't mean forgetting who she is) and as a functional part of her hubby she has a say in her marriage provided it doesn't undermine the proper functioning of the marriage (for instance your eyes can decide that they want to stay shut and don't want to see anything the whole of Monday simply because an insect flew inside and it hurts very bad. News flash! Because the rest of the body has to get to the office on Monday morning and they heavily depend on the eyes to see the way there, the eye has no choice but to open and see the way despite/in spite the pain - that's what marriage is all about)
At this age and time I expect everybody including you dear Deols to know how relationships work especially with respect to adopting your spouses culture if/when you do decide to hitch your wagon to his.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by Freiburger(m): 6:24pm On Nov 10, 2013
lobell:

It is practised in almost every culture in the world. If you marry an american, you become one. If you marry from a different nationality/culture from yours, you automatically adopt that nationality/culture. This is common knowledge except if you're from outer space. I fail to see where I insinuated she's a property.

Automatically becomes a slave to that culture
Now I can understand why a lot of people here are crying for the dislike button.

2 Likes

Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by spectator2001: 6:33pm On Nov 10, 2013
chineloSA:
Personally, how I would treat this is, my child has to know all his father culture, language etc before mine.

Though I do not think the guy may have meant bad, but he meant it. The son is his son hence he bears his surname.

I think you overreacted, since you said the child can still learn Yoruba either way. Teach your son all his fathers culture before yours. Your son may blame you when he does not fit in, in future. Your son is not Yoruba, he is Esan.
Even with names, he has a right to deny you to give your son a Yoruba name, its his Esan son, not Yoruba son, so you were just pushing your luck.

Are you sure you are not pregnant again cheesy cheesy cheesy

"I think you overreacted, since you said the child can still learn Yoruba either way". For dis comment I love u already. The child is definitely gonna learn Yoruba either way. For ppl talking about insecurity on d part of d husband, pls read d most reasonable assertion postulated by dis user n avail urself some knowledgeable awareness of Reality n stop sounding unnecessarily abrasive.

FYI Dad is Isoko, Mom is Isoko, I grew up in Lagos wiv d rest of d fam n we speak Yoruba like d Language is about 2 be banned d next day. Lol. Dad never, Mom never spoke Yoruba 2 us buh we picked it from d environment. We also speak Isoko too but mind u we d children communicate more in Yoruba than our native lingua except we r talking to Dad n Mom or others.
Re: Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby by deols(f): 6:59pm On Nov 10, 2013
lobell:

It is practiced in almost every culture in the world (except in Indonesia where they dont have surnames and some tribes in Ghana where they bear the mothers' name. These are extreme exceptions). But generally sppeaking, if you marry an american, you automatically become one or qualify to become one depending on the amount of 'Red Tape' you have to cross but this is the norm everywhere. If you marry from a different nationality/culture from yours, you automatically adopt that nationality/culture. This is common knowledge except if you're from outer space which I doubt very much but if true, welcome to Earth!
I fail to see where I insinuated she's a property. Does your car or shoe become a Nupe car or an Ebira shoe when you acquire it? No!, emphatically. When she got married to her man, she automatically became a part of him something akin to his eyes or elbow or even brain. Technically she can still lay claim to her ethnicity but she now belongs to a new one (leaving her Yoruba people doesn't mean forgetting who she is) and as a functional part of her hubby she has a say in her marriage provided it doesn't undermine the proper functioning of the marriage (for instance your eyes can decide that they want to stay shut and don't want to see anything the whole of Monday simply because an insect flew inside and it hurts very bad. News flash! Because the rest of the body has to get to the office on Monday morning and they heavily depend on the eyes to see the way there, the eye has no choice but to open and see the way despite/in spite the pain - that's what marriage is all about)
At this age and time I expect everybody including you dear Deols to know how relationships work especially with respect to adopting your spouses culture if/when you do decide to hitch your wagon to his.

You need to try harder. I am a Yoruba person. What in Yoruba history or culture says that a woman changes her name after marriage?

and don't start to say what you don't know about. In many parts of the world, women retain their identity- the one they are born with. Even in Northern Nigeria, many women retain their Fathers' name after marriage.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Child Found Along Lagos-ibadan Expressway Presently At Ibafo Police Station (pho / 2 Spoons: Wife Who Demonstrated Loyalty To Husband Gets Over ₦2M Cash Gift / What Is The Right Age To Start School?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.