Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,229 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:06 AM

Why The Old Testament Cannot Be Separated From The New Testament? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why The Old Testament Cannot Be Separated From The New Testament? (1805 Views)

The New Testament Prophets Defined. / Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? / Can Religion Be Separated From Culture? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Old Testament Cannot Be Separated From The New Testament? by Kunlecelica(m): 10:05pm On Nov 13, 2013
WHY THE OLD TESTAMENT CANNOT BE SEPERATED FROM THE NEW TESTAMENT?

BY ARCHBISHOP (DR) S.O.SHOWUNMI & MSP KUNLE ABIMBOLA
CELICA CHURCH OF CHRIST
The Old Testament is the word of God .It cannot be changed because there are hundreds of definite prophecies or promises of Christ in the Bible from the Old Testament to the New Testament respectively. People talk about white garment churches practicing the Old Testament .Thus the question is does the Old Testament not contain the word of God. Can it be separated from the bible? It is wrong because the bible will not be complete without the whole 66 books. The New Testament is hidden in the Old Testament while the Old Testament is revealed in the New Testament.
There are two items which must be isolated from the Old Testament, the person promised and the promised person.
After God’s first promise of Christ as “the seed of the woman” (Genesis 3:15). He is never lost sight of in the Old Testament as the Promised One. In all of its 39 books, there is the air of expectancy. Someone is coming! Hundreds of years before Christ came God graciously unveiled Him. It has been asserted that exclusive of numberless typical predictions of Him, that “the prophecies and references to Christ in Old Testament Scriptures, which are expressly cited in the New Testament, either as predictions fulfilled in Him, or as provisions applied to Him, number not less than 333.” Therefore, it is with utmost confidence that we can affirm that He dominates the Old Testament, and is before us as the One who is the Substance of its messages and the Goal of its hope. All its avenues lead to Him. He is the golden thread binding the diverse books together, giving them an amazing unity.

He is the key to Old Testament promises, profiles and pictures.

“In the volume of the book it is written of Me.” Hebrews 10:7.

Our Lord Jesus Christ made us a promise in the book of John 14 vs. 26 “the Holy Spirit will come and help you because the father will send the spirit to take my place. The spirit will teach you everything and will remind you of what I said while I was with you”.It is the Holy Spirit that revealed to us that Our Lord Jesus Christ has existed from time immemorial.

Re: Why The Old Testament Cannot Be Separated From The New Testament? by Kunlecelica(m): 10:11pm On Nov 13, 2013
Christ and the Bible then cannot be separated. The written Word and the Living Word are one. Christ is the secret of the structural, historical, prophetical doctrinal and spiritual aspects of the Bible. Christ gives value to the Bible not the Bible to Christ.
In our quest for truth, whether we deal with facts or figures, prophecies or promises, let us realize that the secret of interpretation is to find the Man Christ Jesus on the back, because all Scriptures exists to reveal Him. It brings sustenance to our souls when we discover how Christ and Scriptures are similarly presented. For instance, think of these features

1. Both are called the Word of God “His name is called the word of God
Revelation 19:13, John 1:1 “The Word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever” 1st Peter 1:23, the living and enduring word of God”’
2. Both are spoken of as Truth “I am the Truth” John 14:6, full of truth” John1:14 and all thy commandments are truth Psalm119:151.
3. Both are described as light. “In Him was life and the life was the light of men” John 1 vs. 4 and“ The law is light” Psalm 119:105
4. Both are defined as Life “ I am the Life” John 14:6 and “Holding forth the word of life Philippians 2:16
5. Both are praised as being precious “Unto you which believe he is precious” 1st Peter 2:7.
6. Both are extolled as being wonderful “ His name shall be called Wonderful” Isaiah 9:6 and “ Thy testimonies are wonderful” Psalm 119:129
7. Both are written of as being tried. “I lay in Zion………..a tried stone” Isaiah 28:16 “The word of the Lord is tried” Psalm 18:30
8. Both are presented as being everlasting “ The Lord shall endure for ever Psalm 9:7 “ The word of the Lord endureth for ever” 1st Peter 1:25
9. Both are said to contribute to our salvation. “Born of God” 1st John 5:18 “Born again…………………… by the word of God’’,Hebrew 7:25 “The engrafted word which is able to save your souls” James 1:21
10. Both are channels of cleaning “ The Blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin” 1st John 1:7 and now are ye clean through the word John 15:3.
11. Both are able to sanctify. “By which will we are sanctified” Hebrews 10:10 and “Sanctify them through thy truth” John 17:17.
12. Both can result in healing. “He healed them” Matthew 4:24 and “He sent his word and healed them” Psalm 107:20

Re: Why The Old Testament Cannot Be Separated From The New Testament? by Kunlecelica(m): 10:24pm On Nov 13, 2013
Promises Relative to Christ:

These outstanding Old Testament Messianic promises along with their New Testament performances are cited to buttress John 1 vs 1”in the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God. Our Lord Jesus Christ has been in existence from the creation.
As the external Son of God –
Promise – “Thou art My Son this day I have begotten Thee. Psalm 2:7
Performance – “He shall be called the Son of Highest…………… He shall be called the Son of God” Luke 1:32, 35 “Thou art my Son” Acts 13:30-39

As the Seed of the Woman –
Promise – “I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed: it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel” Genesis 3:15

Performance – when the fullness of the time was come, God sent forth his son, made of a woman” Galatians 4:4 “Mary was found with child of the Holy spirit” Matthew 1:18

As the Seed of Abraham –
Promise – “I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee” Genesis 3:15

Performance – “Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made Galatians 3:16
“Jesus Christ……………. The Son of Abraham” Matthew 1:1

As the Seed of David –
Promise – “The Lord hath sworn in truth unto David; he will not turn from it “Of the fruit of thy body will I set upon thy throne” Psalm 132:11

Performance – “Jesus Christ, the Son of David” Matthew 1:1
“I will raise unto David a righteous Branch Jeremiah 23:5 “David ……….. Of this man’s seed hath God according to his promise raised unto Israel a Saviour Jesus” Acts 13:23 “Jesus Christ…………………. Of the seed of David” Romans 1:3
As to His Birth at a set time –
Promise – “The scepter shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come Genesis 49:10 “After threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for Himself” Daniel 9:24-26

Performance – “it came to pass in those days” Luke 2:1 “when the fullness of the time was come God sent forth his Son, made of a woman” Galatians 4:4
As to His Birth in Bethlehem –
Promise - : But thou Beth-lehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall He come forth unto Me that is to be ruler in Israel” Micah 5:2

Performance – “Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king” Matthew 2:1; Luke 2:4-6

As to those adoring Him-
Promise – “ The kings of Tarshish and out of the isles shall bring thee presents…………………. Offer gifts” psalm 72:10

Performance – “The wise men presented unto Him gifts” Matthew 2:1-11

As to His forerunner –
Promise – “prepare ye the way of the Lord, make Straight in the desert a highway for our God” Isaiah40:3 “My messenger, he shall prepare the way before me’’ Malachi 3:1

Performance – John the Baptist ………….. The voice of one crying in the wilderness, prepare ye the way of the Lord” Matthew 3:1,3; Luke 1:17
As to His Anointing with the Spirit
Promise- “Anointing with the oil of gladness above thy fellows” Psalm 45:7
“The Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him” Isaiah 11:2 “The Spirit of Lord God’s upon me Isaiah 61:1

Performance “God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him” John 3:34 “ God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power” Acts 10:38

As to His entrance into public ministry –
Promise – “To Preach good tiding unto the meek……….. to bind up the brokenhearted………. to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord” Isaiah 61:1-2

Performance – “Jesus came to Nazareth …………..opened the book. He found the place where it was written………. I must preach the kingdom of God to other cities also” Luke 4:16-21. 43

Re: Why The Old Testament Cannot Be Separated From The New Testament? by Kunlecelica(m): 10:28pm On Nov 13, 2013
As to His Galilean ministry –
Promise – “In Galilee of the nations. The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light” Isaiah 9:1,2

Performance – “Jesus departed into Galilee…………………. Galilee of the Gentiles, The people which sat in darkness saw a great light” Matthew 4:12-17,23

As to His appearance in the Temple –
Promise – “I will fill this house with glory” Haggai 2:7,9

Performance – “Jesus went into the temple of God.” Matthew 21:12; Luke 2:27-32
As to His parabolic teaching –
Promise – “I will open my mouth in a parable; I will utter dark sayings of old” Psalm 78:2

Performance – I will open my mouth in a parable, I will utter things which have been kept secret” Matthew 13:35

As to His miraculous ministry –
Promise – “God will come……….. then the eyes of the blind shall be opened and the ears of the deaf shall be unstopped” Isaiah 35:4-6

Performance – “Jesus answered the blind receive their sight Matthew11:4-6; John 11:4
As to His undeserved reproach –
Promise – A reproach of men, and despised of the people all that see me shall laugh me scorn. Because for thy sake I have borne reproach ………….. The reproaches of them that reproached tee fall upon me” Psalm 69.7.9, 26

Performance – “Even Christ pleased not himself, but as it is written. The reproaches of them that reproached the fall upon me.”Romans 15:3

As to His rejection by His brethren –
Promise – “I am become a stranger unto my brethren, and an alien unto my mother’s children” Psalm 69:8; Isaiah 63:3,5

Performance – “ He came unto his own and his own received him not His brethren, therefore said unto him. Depart hence” John 1:11, 7:3 “ Neither did his brethren believe in him” John 7:5

As a stone of stumbling to the Jews –
Promise – “He shall be …………..a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the house of Israel” Isaiah 8:14

Performance – “ They stumbled at that stumbling stone” Romans 9:32. 33
“A stone of stumbling and a rock of offence 1st Peter 2:8
As to His encounter with Jewish hatred-
Promise- ‘’ They that hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of my head.’’ Psalm 69:4
‘’To Him whom man despiseth, to Him whom the nation abhorreth.’’ Isaiah 49:7.
Performance- ‘’ He that hated me… They have both seen and hated both me and my father.’’ John15:23-25.

As to His rejection by Jew and Gentiles-
Promise-‘’the Kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord, and His anointed.’’ Psalm2:1, 2

Performance-‘’ Pilate and Herod were made friends together for before they were at enmity between themselves. Luke 23:12.
The Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together. Acts 4; 25-29

As to His betrayal by a friend-
Promise-‘’yea, mine own familiar friend in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up His heel against me.’’ Psalm 41:9 ‘’ it was not an enemy that reproached me… it was those … mine acquaintance.’’ Psalm55:12-14.

Performance-‘’He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me… One of you shall betray me.’’ John 13:18, 21
Re: Why The Old Testament Cannot Be Separated From The New Testament? by Kunlecelica(m): 10:30pm On Nov 13, 2013
As to His intercession for His crucifiers-
Promise- He made intercession for the transgressors.” Isaiah 53:12

Performance –then said Jesus, father forgive them; for they know not what they do.” Luke 23:34

As to his ultimate death –
Promise- “he hath poured out his soul unto death.” Isaiah 53:12

Performance – “Jesus when he had cried out again with a loud voice yielded up the ghost.” Matthew 27:50

As to His being pierced-
Promise-“they shall look upon me whom they have pierced.” Zechariah 12:10

Performance – “one of the soldiers pierced his side……..they shall look on him whom they pierced.” John 19:34, 36

As to his burial-
Promise-“he made his grave with the wicked and with the rich in his death.”Isaiah 53:9

Performance-“when Joseph had the body it in his own new tomb.” Matthew 27:57-60

As to His glorious resurrection –
Promise –“for thou wilt not leave my soul in hell (or grave).”Psalm 16:10
“The dead shall live…….my dead body shall they rise.”Isaiah 26:19
Performance-“He His not here but risen……the Lord is risen indeed.”
Luke 24:6,31; I Corinthians 15

As to salvation of Gentiles –
Promise-“A root Jesse ……..to it shall the gentiles seek.”Isaiah 11:10
“He shall bring forth judgment to the gentiles.”Isaiah 42:1

Performance –“That on the gentiles was poured out the gift of the holy spirit “
acts 10:45, john 10:16

As to His universal dominion-
Promise-“he shall have dominion also from sea to sea, and from the river unto the end of the earth.” psalm 72:8
“There was given unto him dominion, glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nation, and languages should serve him.”Daniel 7:14

Performance-“at the name of Jesus every knee should bow ………that every tongue should confess that Jesus is Lord.”
Philippians 2:10, 11.

As to the perpetuity of His kingdom-
Promise- “The throne of David to establish it with Judgment and with justice from henceforth even forever.” Isaiah 9:7
“His dominion is an everlasting dominion”Daniel 7:14

Performance- ‘’He shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end; Luke 1:33.
Re: Why The Old Testament Cannot Be Separated From The New Testament? by Kunlecelica(m): 10:33pm On Nov 13, 2013
Conclusion

Prophecies are actually promises that God will perform all that the prophecy presents.The difference between the old testament and new testament is simply one word,blotting out sins with the blood of animals while the new testament washes our sins away once and for all with the blood of our Lord Jesus Christ.He made the ultimate sacrifice for us all.
Our Lord Jesus Christ said himself “I have not come to abolish the law but to fulfill them” Matt 5 vs. 17. He came to fulfill all the promises of God in the Old Testament through its performances in the New Testament. We however do not to offer the blood of animals to atone for our sins because the promised one, our Lord Jesus Christ has used his blood to atone for our sins, Hebrews 9 vs. 7-14”he entered the most Holy place once for all by his own blood, having obtained eternal redemption”. We therefore have a new covenant with Christ our saviour.
One cannot meditate upon the foregoing selected messianic citation without realizing how the Lord Jesus Christ permeates the Bible. How wonderfully He is woven into the texture of such a divine revelation! He is everything from A to Z in the bible. These first and last letters of the Greek alphabet are used by Jesus himself –‘’ I am first and the last” Revelation 22:13. Whether we think of creation, revelation, redemption, or experience, Christ is the beginning and the end.‘’ Christ is the end, for Christ was the beginning, Christ was the beginning for the end is Christ.’’

(1) (Reply)

Woman Goes Topless For The Pope(photos) / Happy New Year, Religion Section! / Questions For The Athiests

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.