Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,429 members, 7,819,557 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:06 PM

Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). (43070 Views)

My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace / 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job / "JUJU" Assistance To Get a Job (is It Possible?) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by Slimcurtis1(m): 3:04pm On Nov 28, 2013
plz as a graduate of english n literary studies,what field can u work?
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by TYTAN(m): 3:07pm On Nov 28, 2013
I totally agree with you, my 2 kids after school(lesson) teacher collects N35K per month for 3sessions per week and she confided in me that she has about 7 other children she teaches after her normal school duties. give or take she nets home about N270k. she is just 23yrs old. I respect her. Think twice

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by boay(m): 3:07pm On Nov 28, 2013
This is wonderful, have learnt from this.

1 Like

Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by jamesbridget13(f): 3:10pm On Nov 28, 2013
am a teacher even though i didn't study an education course. planing 4 a PGD next year after which i hope 2 get a MED. i love the profession!

4 Likes

Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by truvine(m): 3:13pm On Nov 28, 2013
@OP I must first register my sincere gratitude for bringing up such a thread
I am a graduate of Economics (2.1) and in addition to that had 2 professional institute certification (NIM & ISMN)
Currently doing my CLARION CALL thing and will be rounding up in May 2014
Am in a school- although a rugged one- but am finding teaching interesting
My humble request is that,"before night fall' (may 2014) what are the necessary steps you do advise me on this line of career.
I do really appreciate your brotherly guide
and again saying thank you for this thread
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by slap1(m): 3:16pm On Nov 28, 2013
Nice one, OP.

I rep the Faculty of Education, Abia State University, Uturu. #B.A, B.Ed (English language). When I gained admission in 2009, I didin't really like it. I wanted 'pure' English, not under Education. Now, I'm happy to be an educationist. I went to work today, but now I'm through for the day. Teaching gives you time for other activities and developes you more than you can imagine.

I teach senior secondary English in a private school (waiting for ASUU for my final exams), and I've developed so much in under three months. I now speak and write better. When I read my hand-outs now, I see everything in 3D, HD and even ZD!

(if you find any error(s) in what I typed, congrats!)

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by Johnsinia(m): 3:20pm On Nov 28, 2013
CocoLoca: YOU ARE A TEACHER??!?!?? shocked shocked shocked WITH THIS GRAMMAR?? RIP English!! cry cry cry
somebody is offering help (solutions) to the jobless and all u can do is to judge his grammar. U need help, blw, which/what help ve u ever rendered to the unemployed?
@op am still an undergraduate, i will make gud use of ds opp. Tank u and God bless u.

8 Likes

Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by hariorh: 3:20pm On Nov 28, 2013
Not everyone can teach though. Peeps should discover what they are good at.

grin
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by slap1(m): 3:20pm On Nov 28, 2013
TYTAN: I totally agree with you, my 2 kids after school(lesson) teacher collects N35K per month for 3sessions per week and she confided in me that she has about 7 other children she teaches after her normal school duties. give or take she nets home about N270k. she is just 23yrs old. I respect her. Think twice
Bro, which state is that? No vex.
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by billyG(m): 3:22pm On Nov 28, 2013
How many unemplyed grads can those few schools take,some of them still collect huge sch.fees pay staffs peanuts,use yu like jackky.
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by slap1(m): 3:23pm On Nov 28, 2013
Slim curtis: plz as a graduate of english n literary studies,what field can u work?
Media, telecomms, etc. Or you teach English/literature for the mean time.
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by Kereokwu(f): 3:25pm On Nov 28, 2013
OP thanks I agree completely with u cos i once taught in one of the big schools in Abuja though the salary was small but i made money from private lessons as maths teacher. I resigned from teaching cos I got a another job which didnt work out so its not been easy really. I have a PGD in Edu and i live in Abuja, pls i need ur advice.
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by Nobody: 3:26pm On Nov 28, 2013
Teaching is a nice job. After my SSCE. i wrote my first jamb, i couldn't secure admission due to wrong subject combination. After staying at home 4 a whole year,idle, i was fustratd cos most of my mates have all gotten admission. One day,a friend of mine,told me that there is a school in need of a minder,if am interested,that the pay is 10k per month. I was reluctant at 1st. Bt after some serious think i accepted the offer. I worked as a minder 4 a term, the principal noticed how i talk,my gøod command of english,and how i help out the senior students in there assignments, she promoted me to the post of a basic 2 teacher. With a higher pay. Am enjoying my job now. I sat for jamb dis yr,i entered english education as my most prefered choice of course. My friends made jest of me for that,but am nt moved bcus am enjoying the teaching job,and will want to build a career in it.

2 Likes

Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by blank(f): 3:28pm On Nov 28, 2013
@op, please do let us know what school you teach in so that we don't send our kids there. I went to an international school, one of the ones you mentioned. However, you won't hear them making the kind of mistakes you have made in your write-up. It is a thing of fear. So, after paying such high school fees, my kids won't have good teachers?

Help me o Lord to make the right choices.
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by akubudejud(m): 3:28pm On Nov 28, 2013
flexyonline: OP..... Your course mate David Osho, did he require a godfather to get into Chevron?

..one out of one thousand lucky applicant out there sincerely no Godfather..!
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by ibkgab001: 3:28pm On Nov 28, 2013
There are lot of private secondary schools in Ota ogun state that pays like ....oh heaven is coming down anyway just have trust in God lots of jobs out there that are not publicly exposed to people and they pay heavy salaries
One of them is KFC
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by slap1(m): 3:32pm On Nov 28, 2013
Adaobi12: Teaching is a nice job. After my SSCE. i wrote my first jamb, i couldn't secure admission due to wrong subject combination. After staying at home 4 a whole year,idle, i was fustratd cos most of my mates have all gotten admission. One day,a friend of mine,told me that there is a school in need of a minder,if am interested,that the pay is 10k per month. I was reluctant at 1st. Bt after some serious think i accepted the offer. I worked as a minder 4 a term, the principal noticed how i talk,my gøod command of english,and how i help out the senior students in there assignments, she promoted me to the post of a basic 2 teacher. With a higher pay. Am enjoying my job now. I sat for jamb dis yr, I entered english education as my most prefered course of choice. My friends made jest of me for that,but am nt moved bcus am enjoying the teaching job,and will want to build a career in it.
My dear you're welcome.
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by Aizebioje(m): 3:35pm On Nov 28, 2013
hilario8898: Sir, pls I want your opinion on my current predicament.
During my secondary school days, I have always wanted to become an accountant, but due to the situation of Nigeria Universities, it became a hard ordeal.
I am currently a student of Uniben studying Accounting Education, my plan was to start first and try again next year, fortunately for me I recently got admission to study banking and finance in delsu.
Don't get me wrong Sir, I am very grateful to God for this opportunities, because I know how hard it is for one to secure admission in universities this days.
My question now Sir is, should I stay in Uniben and continue? Or should I do the banking and finance?
Thank you very much!
stay in Uniben! During your course tenure, do ur ICAN and other exams.
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by BlackPeni5: 3:35pm On Nov 28, 2013
OP your command of English Language is poor. No wonder you couldn't land a job as planned. I feel sorry for your students. Our educational system is doomed.
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by wogorparadise: 3:35pm On Nov 28, 2013
Hmmmmmm i jst laugh becos i knw one day nigeria will get there, i remenber teaching for a yr before joining one of the federal commission seven yrs ago, but i vat proudly say it in these forum that one yr is best i hv had in my last workin yr, they is nothin like bringing knwlegde n mentorship to someone

1 Like

Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by Odunharry(m): 3:37pm On Nov 28, 2013
Jenams: As a proud Educationist with a 2.1 in accountin education and currently doin masters in same course, I am sad that u people want to turn my beloved profession into a dumpin ground. This has bn our problem in education. Pls do not add to it, if u dnt hav a job, have patience and continue to search for one, leave edcuation alone for those who hav d passion + academic/professional requirement. We dnt want auxillary teachers in ours schools! If u dnt hav a first degree in education and a masters in same, pls keep off. God bless Nigeria. In Education we trust.
nyc one there...i am also an educationist too..currently studying accounting education..

Thank God teaching is gaining it place as a profession in Nigeria all thanks to the TRC..

Teaching is fun especially when u do it 4m ur hrt....i remembr when i did my T.P in a govt secondary school by 3pm im already home and it really gave me time to do other things
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by babaskool1: 3:37pm On Nov 28, 2013
Yes this is true, i attended O.I.S the 4th school the Op mentioned, and our teachers were paid close to this amount then, and this was 4 years ago, even now when i finish my degree and masters i wanna go back as a visiting teacher or something

1 Like

Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by Aizebioje(m): 3:38pm On Nov 28, 2013
blank: @op, please do let us know what school you teach in so that we don't send our kids there. I went to an international school, one of the ones you mentioned. However, you won't hear them making the kind of mistakes you have made in your write-up. It is a thing of fear. So, after paying such high school fees, my kids won't have good teachers?

Help me o Lord to make the right choices.
My thoughts exactly! It's almost as if he made a vow never to use punctuation! Op has a point but he's ripping the school off! IMO
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by bebechuks: 3:39pm On Nov 28, 2013
On my mind,starting January!
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by Odunharry(m): 3:40pm On Nov 28, 2013
truvine: @OP I must first register my sincere gratitude for bringing up such a thread
I am a graduate of Economics (2.1) and in addition to that had 2 professional institute certification (NIM & ISMN)
Currently doing my CLARION CALL thing and will be rounding up in May 2014
Am in a school- although a rugged one- but am finding teaching interesting
My humble request is that,"before night fall' (may 2014) what are the necessary steps you do advise me on this line of career.
I do really appreciate your brotherly guide
and again saying thank you for this thread
very good to know..go for pgde and then register with the Teacher registration council bt u wl pay them to become a member..i think for graduates it abt 4 or 5k while for lecturers who hasnt register is abt 8k...
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by Nobody: 3:40pm On Nov 28, 2013
Adaobi12: Teaching is a nice job. After my SSCE. i wrote my first jamb, i couldn't secure admission due to wrong subject combination. After staying at home 4 a whole year,idle, i was fustratd cos most of my mates have all gotten admission. One day,a friend of mine,told me that there is a school in need of a minder,if am interested,that the pay is 10k per month. I was reluctant at 1st. Bt after some serious think i accepted the offer. I worked as a minder 4 a term, the principal noticed how i talk,my gøod command of english,and how i help out the senior students in there assignments, she promoted me to the post of a basic 2 teacher. With a higher pay. Am enjoying my job now. I sat for jamb dis yr,i entered english education as my most prefered choice of course. My friends made jest of me for that,but am nt moved bcus am enjoying the teaching job,and will want to build a career in it.
my brother, u r welcome!
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by standecent: 3:41pm On Nov 28, 2013
I have a B.Sc in Physics (2.1) and i can teach any of Physics, Maths, F/Maths, Basic Tech. Pls i will if u guyz can hook me up with any teaching job around Lagos. Pls u guyz shld help a brother in need.
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by Nobody: 3:41pm On Nov 28, 2013
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by Nobody: 3:43pm On Nov 28, 2013
standecent: I have a B.Sc in Physics (2.1) and i can teach any of Physics, Maths, F/Maths, Basic Tech. Pls i will if u guyz can hook me up with any teaching job around Lagos. Pls u guyz shld help a brother in need.
dnt come to education because u want quick money, go for PGDE first b4 u can teach! Say no to auxillary teachers! Na ur type dey sleep wit female students because of lack of edu. professional ethics. Do u know how to prepare a lesson note? Hogwash!

1 Like

Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by Odunharry(m): 3:44pm On Nov 28, 2013
Kereokwu: OP thanks I agree completely with u cos i once taught in one of the big schools in Abuja though the salary was small but i made money from private lessons as maths teacher. I resigned from teaching cos I got a another job which didnt work out so its not been easy really. I have a PGD in Edu and i live in Abuja, pls i need ur advice.
since u av ur pdge..i wl advice u reg with d teacher registration council and go out in search of job in schools u like.
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by charlie193: 3:45pm On Nov 28, 2013
slap1: Nice one, OP.

I rep the Faculty of Education, Abia State University, Uturu. #B.A, B.Ed (English language). When I gained admission in 2009, I didin't really like it. I wanted 'pure' English, not under Education. Now, I'm happy to be an educationist. I went to work today, but now I'm through for the day. Teaching gives you time for other activities and developes you more than you can imagine.

I teach senior secondary English in a private school (waiting for ASUU for my final exams), and I've developed so much in under three months. I now speak and write better. When I read my hand-outs now, I see everything in 3D, HD and even ZD!

Errors

1. Your sentence:"When I gained admission in 2009, I didin't really like it. I wanted 'pure' English, not under Education".

It is not I didin't .... it is "I didn't"

2. Your sentence:"I went to work today, but now I'm through for the day".

This is a very simple rule in English Language. Use of "and" and "but". The first one is a conjunction for two positive statements or negative statements, while "but" is a conjunction use for one positive statement and negative statement. In your case "and" is the appropriate word.

3. Your sentence:" When I read my hand-outs now, I see everything in 3D, HD and even ZD!"

This is also a conjunction problem (I guess you need to improve or read up about joining your statement). Better write: "Reading my hand -out now, I see everything in 3D . . ." OR just removed the "comma" and reconstruct the phrase into a complete statement.

P.S. Meanwhile, It is a good one from you. I rate you 80% (Oops! Did you say you studied English? If yes . . . Rate=20%)

5 Likes

Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by akubudejud(m): 3:45pm On Nov 28, 2013
slap1: Nice one, OP.

...God bless you my brother for doing what you love, it is well with you..fault finder are normaly the worst kind of people leave them alone...!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Skills Have You Learnt That Can Earn You Money? / In-sourcing, New Way Of Hiring Desperate Job Seekers / Welder Omoniye Lesley Faith Celebrates Her Birthday With Cute Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.