Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,673 members, 7,955,478 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:00 AM

Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). (43666 Views)

My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace / 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job / "JUJU" Assistance To Get a Job (is It Possible?) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by Nobody: 6:27pm On Nov 28, 2013
flexyonline: OP..... Your course mate David Osho, did he require a godfather to get into Chevron?
I don't know about his friend but i know two people who used God father connections to scale the aptitude test and the earlier stages of interview. One was eventually employed but the other was dropped after the final interview.

@i believe the op. some very expensive private schools pay their teachers very well while some pay very low.Unfortunately, the ones that pay their teachers well are very few too.

My class mate (msc class in the uk) mum owns one of the very expensive schools in port Harcourt, I remember a particular month when she sponsored 14 teachers in her school to a 3days teachers seminar in the UK. My classmate was in charge of their hotel reservations.

1 Like

Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by Chars1289: 6:27pm On Nov 28, 2013
Black Peni5: OP your command of English Language is poor. No wonder you couldn't land a job as planned. I feel sorry for your students. Our educational system is doomed.

dont knw why we hve to judge someone due to d extent of hs/her fluency in English lang, its a wrong notion.English is a lang jst lik d German, Chinese, Arabic lang.Nationalities frm oda countries will not be concerned if dey speak it well or not ask d chinese...its only in Nigeria someone becomes a social pariah if he/she doesnot speak english lang fluently.

7 Likes

Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by Nobody: 6:28pm On Nov 28, 2013
double post.
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by BrutusOj(m): 6:35pm On Nov 28, 2013
akubudejud:

..it is well with you sir,it is only the wise that will apply knowledge at the appropriate time this whole issue is all about time..after which regret will set in..!

akubude_jude@yahoo.com
permit me to add my email..I'm an experience Physics/maths teacher wit over 7yrs of xperience..with ma 2.1 in Physics n passion for teaching,I ve not been able to get a gud school..pls contact me if dere is any of such school--echolotubuenyi@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by Malakh: 6:49pm On Nov 28, 2013
the best and greatest profession is teaching....it depends on what you teach

1 Like

Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by odion81(f): 7:00pm On Nov 28, 2013
l'm a presently preschool teacher, although l started my career as a pry school teacher. Now l can teach a child of 4yrs how to read becos of d training l recently undertook. This is d highpoint of my career. l just love teaching.

3 Likes

Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by zicobass11: 7:28pm On Nov 28, 2013
pls I want to ask if u knw of any institution wia I can run a part time PGDE programme here in Nigeria. Probably in d west (Lagos or Ogun state). Thank you .
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by pricelessmr: 7:30pm On Nov 28, 2013
Thanks OP for sharing. This will encourage smart youths getting into teaching profession, impact positively on children and earn a living big time.
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by Tinyemeka(m): 7:37pm On Nov 28, 2013
OP, your grammar is atrocious. angry
I don't normally comment in this manner but given the fact that you are a teacher, it is a serious cause for concern.
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by Ninilowo(m): 8:18pm On Nov 28, 2013
ibkgab001: There are lot of private secondary schools in Ota ogun state that pays like ....oh heaven is coming down anyway just have trust in God lots of jobs out there that are not publicly exposed to people and they pay heavy salaries
One of them is KFC
Yes.......like
The Ambassadors
The Bells
Dalos College
Adedokun International Schools
Jacobs High School
Ota Total Academy
Grait International School
Leadwell Academy.....etc....etc.
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by Ninilowo(m): 8:35pm On Nov 28, 2013
standecent: I have a B.Sc in Physics (2.1) and i can teach any of Physics, Maths, F/Maths, Basic Tech. Pls i will if u guyz can hook me up with any teaching job around Lagos. Pls u guyz shld help a brother in need.
Bros u cant teach Basic Tech in A standard school as a graduate of physiscs. I know what am saying. If you are confronted with Technical drawing and other aspects of the subject such as Auto mech, Wood work, metal work and building tech; oga, you go bend ooo.

1 Like

Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by MightyFortress: 8:37pm On Nov 28, 2013
Trachea: I am not surprised at the kind of response this thread has generated( so little). It only points to the kind of attitude nigerians show towards teaching. Everybody has this pipe dream of working in an oil coy or bank or multinational. I work in an international school and i must tell you that the op is not exaggerating. My take home is over 200k monthly and i have accomodation. some of my colleagues earn as much as 300-400k. A friend of mine just got a job as a vice principal for 750k in a new school. So instead of wasting away pounding the streets of lagos or ph, its better to start early and make something of yourself. @OP can we contact?
encouraging. I've always wanted to make education my career, though I'm a Biochemist.
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by Nobody: 9:06pm On Nov 28, 2013
Teaching is actually a wonderful profession, but the meagre pay associated with it has discouraged intelligent students from enrolling into education courses. I discovered majority of students in faculty of education are usually the less smart/below average pupils during high school days who could not find admission into esteemed field such as medicine and engineering, yet we expect them to return to high school to groom future engineers, doctors and teachers. This has been the bane of nigeria's falling academic standard.
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by Nobody: 9:21pm On Nov 28, 2013
Government should encourage brilliant participation in teaching by making the profession very lucrative, and thus making admission into education courses highly competitive, then the quality of education in this country will improve.
However, as we await the government intervention, I encourage smart graduates out there to take a cue from d OP's advice.
PS: Is there any graduate school in europe/america that offer scholarship or 50% tuition-cut for M. Ed in Educational Planning and Administration? I'm interested please.

1 Like

Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by wi5dom(m): 9:27pm On Nov 28, 2013
StephenAyo: Teaching is actually a wonderful profession, but the meagre pay associated with it has discouraged intelligent students from enrolling into education courses. I discovered majority of students in faculty of education are usually the less smart/below average pupils during high school days who could not find admission into esteemed field such as medicine and engineering, yet we expect them to return to high school to groom future engineers, doctors and teachers. This has been the bane of nigeria's falling academic standard.

Actually not nowadays. I am in economics and statistics education and I have witnessed all this people u may be calling "efikos" in pure courses being taught by an education student after lectures and even on weekends. So there is no point for it doesn't apply to dis century.

1 Like

Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by farellstone: 9:29pm On Nov 28, 2013
akubudejud:

akubude_jude@yahoo.com

be blessed..!
I need ur candid advice,I'm banking on your experience in teaching sector τ̅☺‎​ help me,I studied english and literature nd I want to go for my MA in international relations,can I lecture with the MA being that its a little deviation from my first degree.
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by ijbeauty(f): 11:34pm On Nov 28, 2013
CocoLoca: YOU ARE A TEACHER??!?!?? shocked shocked shocked WITH THIS GRAMMAR?? RIP English!! cry cry cry

Ode, he apologised about his grammar..
Or are you a dictionary? Why the plenty question mark since you know how to identify wrong grammar.

4 Likes

Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by 2rue(m): 12:14am On Nov 29, 2013
CocoLoca: YOU ARE A TEACHER??!?!?? shocked shocked shocked WITH THIS GRAMMAR?? RIP English!! cry cry cry
chai! Your sense of reasoning is poor, I mean very very poor!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by Odunharry(m): 1:02am On Nov 29, 2013
Austarson: Pls sir, i am a final yr microbiology student.i so desire to teach someday,but i want to know if someone can still be employed with a b.sc instead of a b.ed
go 4 pgde and register with the TRC
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by Odunharry(m): 1:03am On Nov 29, 2013
zicobass_11: pls I want to ask if u knw of any institution wia I can run a part time PGDE programme here in Nigeria. Probably in d west (Lagos or Ogun state). Thank you .
lasu,unilag
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by Odunharry(m): 1:07am On Nov 29, 2013
StephenAyo: Teaching is actually a wonderful profession, but the meagre pay associated with it has discouraged intelligent students from enrolling into education courses. I discovered majority of students in faculty of education are usually the less smart/below average pupils during high school days who could not find admission into esteemed field such as medicine and engineering, yet we expect them to return to high school to groom future engineers, doctors and teachers. This has been the bane of nigeria's falling academic standard.
crap crap crap....ds days if u are an indigene,u stand a chance of gainin admission to study a major course than other students who performed better in the post utme..talking 4m experience
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by Odunharry(m): 1:29am On Nov 29, 2013
you asked for it now this is it,
a thread where we can all meet and discus issues relating to education,this is for all educationist,teachers,those who would love to teach.Btw,other people are also welcome
www.nairaland.com/1535600/thread-education-students#19866003
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by platorepublic(m): 5:46am On Nov 29, 2013
I came to Lagos 2 months ago after wasting so many years at home waiting for govt jobs. I applied to a Secondary and i was employed I was giving14,000 but today I am now working in a hospital where I am collecting double of my previous salary. Dear graduate don't fold your arms doing nothing

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by jonath0012(m): 7:37am On Nov 29, 2013
Yeah.... I studied Physics education. Currently, am still a corps member hoping to join the teaching profession soon. My love for teaching has no bound. My teaching experience started as far back as when I was in secondary school. As soon as I left secondary sch, even without higher education, I applied to teach physics in a school not far from my domicile. On the day of interview, I met three other applicants with higher qualifications than I had, waiting to be interviewed. We were all asked to teach SS3 students any topics we so desired. After the interview session, the principal hinted me that I was the best candidate, and asked for my credentials, but I had only 'O' level certificate then. he was astonished, to say the least, when he learnt that I just concluded my secondary education. Though he was a bit reluctant to hire me he promised not to disclose the fact to anyone, even to the proprietor. And warned me not to disclose to the students my qualifications. This is how my teaching career began. Since then, I have taught in more than three secondary schools. Hoping to take up more teaching jobs after my NYSC and apply for advance degree in science education area.

2 Likes

Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by Mintayo(m): 7:46am On Nov 29, 2013
I am interested too,school around Yaba,Sabo-yab,unilag=home/private lesson,pls contact me,my number is on my signature.
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by chuqudy(m): 8:42am On Nov 29, 2013
akubudejud:

..let me start this way,..the Mustard seed is known to be very small if not the must smallest of the seeds but when humbled by been buried (planted) it is known to be a giant tree even in the middle East..I started with such a small amount because I was humbled by frustrations but now the only regret is that I started almost too late.Today I am grateful to God to have made a move at least, No more jumping from one bus (Molue)to the other soon By His grace I will be a Landlord please don't wait until it is too late .God only bless the hand that works...many careers are evolving now and teaching is not an exception act fast.! remain blessed.

Mustard seed does not grow into giant tree but a small plant like shrub. I don't know why people make the mistake of saying that mustard seed grow into a tree. It is not a big tree oooo.
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by Ugokings4luv(m): 8:49am On Nov 29, 2013
A
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by BrutusOj(m): 9:28am On Nov 29, 2013
Jenams: dnt come to education because u want quick money, go for PGDE first b4 u can teach! Say no to auxillary teachers! Na ur type dey sleep wit female students because of lack of edu. professional ethics. Do u know how to prepare a lesson note? Hogwash!
don't be silly..work experience can't be gained if there is no job to learn from..I read pure Physics and I bet u I can compete wit any graduate of Physics wit B.Sc.(Ed) in the class room..A lot of graduates with educational qualification neva planned to study educational course,so many found themselves in education cos they couldn't make it to other areas.Infact,in my school days,we all looked at those in education departments as dull brains...
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by Shinatu: 9:34am On Nov 29, 2013
My son's teacher is a wonderful teacher, she studied Geology and was good enough to pick up a job anywhere and according to her ,was actualy preparing to join Slumberger, but while at home on their street one day she saw a baby in a pool of her urine crying on the floor in front of the house while the Nanny that was supposed to be taking care of the Child was busy gisting with the gate man, she made up her mind that day to go for a job that would enable her stay with her kids more,now she is consulted throughout the South South, she has resigned from a well known private primary School in PH and started her own Nursery School last September, she has more passion for Pre School because she beleives it is the foundation.

What is my point? Many people did not study Education in the University because they were not previledged to think of what they really wanted due to the way the Teaching profession is perceived,some people discover their love for it accidentally/unplanned and they may make better teachers than those who read Education in School, ofcourse these people will have to then go for some form of Teaching training e.g PGD/Masters in Education.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by isleman(m): 9:34am On Nov 29, 2013
we all claim the standard of education is falling in Nigeria. why wont it fall? when the intelligent and the good ones with the distinctions will not teach and train younger ones and leave vacancy for quacks and those with pass or drop-outs to teach their children after paying heavy school fees from the money gotten from their dream oil firm and multinational jobs.

The op is right, that's how i climbed the ladder. a parent and friend in the school i teach discovered and admired my intelligence and took me into a multinational company he works for. i was not even interviewed, i only sent my cv and got a job offer.
Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by akubudejud(m): 10:39am On Nov 29, 2013
willibounce:

So only English language teachers should speak and write good english? The OP needs to improve. The school isn't paying u above 100k for nothing. U gotta give ur very best. Abi u wan mke students giv u name?

..what make you feel that your English is impeccable as a person?We are not in a competition here you know, if you want to exhibit your brilliancy you can apply as a teacher and do all the corrections..watch your self before you correct others..

(U gotta give ur very best. Abi u wan mke students giv u name?)..professor of English indeed..!

2 Likes

Re: Teaching Job Is Now Hot Cake In Nigeria(My Experience). by standecent: 11:19am On Nov 29, 2013
Jenams: dnt come to education because u want quick money, go for PGDE first b4 u can teach! Say no to auxillary teachers! Na ur type dey sleep wit female students because of lack of edu. professional ethics. Do u know how to prepare a lesson note? Hogwash!
my dear, dnt u think u are too harsh on me? For ur information, u must not have a (B.ed) before u can be a good teacher. I believe in the school of tought that 'some teachers are made while others are born), and i think i belong to the latter. Although i have plans of doing my PGDE, i have two years post nysc teaching experienc in PHysics ans Maths. All i need is somewhere i can build a career for myself in education.
And for ur information, i knw hw to write a lesson note.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I'm In Love With My Boss. Pls Help / I Graduated With 2.2,can I Have My Masters In Canada? / 100 Excavators Worked Together To Dismantle A Bridge Overnight In China(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.