Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,164 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:09 PM

Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU (15975 Views)

LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY / UNILORIN--FUNAAB: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: FUNAAB / OAU--ABU ZARIA: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by Nobody: 4:28pm On Nov 29, 2013
You can read my signature and ban me for the least i care. IDGAF about posting on Nairaland again.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by AbuMikey(m): 4:29pm On Nov 29, 2013
Damitism:
Holy Jesus! And you said it is only a debater who the question is directed to that can answer it! What a .......! What a waste of my time, never again, never! It has been a while i felt so cheated. *stands up, shake head, and walks out by unfollowing the thread thinking something is fishy about the result*

www.nairaland.com/1454855/short-story-competition-nuges11-wins

Check up on that thread, and lookout for the contestants response to the judging result they got,and stop being so vexed over an e-debate that you weren't even too sure of coming tops! smiley

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by AbuMikey(m): 4:31pm On Nov 29, 2013
FrancisTony: You can read my signature and ban me for the least i care. IDGAF about posting on Nairaland again.

Disappointed I am! angry

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by boay(m): 4:33pm On Nov 29, 2013
Our audience we will love to hear from you
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by olalerey(m): 4:33pm On Nov 29, 2013
so u mean d judges did nt need any clarification frm d opposin sides or does it mean that their essay is more convincing than d supporting side? I had knwn dis wil happen bt sha no p..."unfollows thread"
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by AbuMikey(m): 4:36pm On Nov 29, 2013

Team UI..

Your loss on today's match-up didn't kick you out of the competition, just take a seat and watch other debates go down,those progressing to the next round are being judged by the points they garnered and not the wining positions they got. smiley

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by agrovick(m): 4:37pm On Nov 29, 2013
JUDGE 1
UI (Damitism)
1. Presentation - 3marks
2. Logic of arguments - 3mrks
3. Strength of facts, examples, cases - 4mrks
4. Persuasiveness - 4mrks
5. Demonstration of knowledge and understanding of the subject - 5mrks
Total - 19
UI (aysuccess)
1. Presentation - 4marks
3. Strength of facts, examples, cases - 2mrks
5. Demonstration of knowledge and understanding of the subject - 3mrks
Total - 16
sum total : 35
Delsu (E-paul)
1. Presentation - 5marks
2. Logic of arguments - 4mrks
Total - 23
Delsu (Dr. Amanda)
1. Presentation - 3marks
5. Demonstration of knowledge and understanding of the subject - 4mrks
Total - 18
sum total : 41

JUDGE 2
Debater
School
Presentation
Logic
Strength of Facts
Persuasiveness
Demostration of Knowledge and Understanding of Subject
TOTAL
AySuccess 99
UI
Damitism
UI
E-PAUL
DELSU
DR. AMANDA
DELSU
School Totals
U.I.
DELSU

GRAND TOTAL
U.I - 73
DELSU - 78
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by king94(m): 4:40pm On Nov 29, 2013
Why ar UI vexed?
Futa got 56.5 nd we didn't kill any1

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by Nobody: 4:44pm On Nov 29, 2013
agrovick: From the Judges desk
UNIBADAN ended up with a grand total of 73 marks out of the available 100 while DELSU ends up with 78/100.
Going by this result, I hereby declare DELSU the winner of this debate

NB: i will post the breakdown as soon as possible
wow! We won, we won! ~wipes tears of joy with the back of palm~ So elated. First and foremost, i want to thank the organisers of this debate: Fynestboi, boay et al.
Damitism i must commend u for your piece and i must quickly say its however sad you didn't display the spirit of sportsmanship going by your comments against the fairness of the Judges. This was not a do or die affair. On the contrary, it was an avenue, a platform to learn and increase in knowledge. I must fess up that I learnt so much today. @Snoppy and Maclatunji, i doff my cap for you sirs. I intend taking lessons from you on how to ask trickish questions.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by snoopy(m): 4:46pm On Nov 29, 2013
i think both sides did a very good job but like i said in the planning thread....where i think U.I struggled a bit was their delivery aspect. they were not really tailoring their points to maximize the strength of their argument unlike the delsu folks particularly the Epaul guy, but i must commend damitism for his gallantry. mehn dude really fought questions from the judges bravely without relenting grin grin.....but then in the end i believe the spirit of sportsmanship is what matters. just accept the result and work on where u feel you were not at full strength and then come out better in subsequent debates. the judges and coordinators might also need to work on some grey areas as regards rules on who answers questions and all that so there wont be any question regarding the credibility of results.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by snoopy(m): 4:50pm On Nov 29, 2013
Epaul: wow! We won, we won! ~wipes tears of joy with the back of palm~ So elated. First and foremost, i want to thank the organisers of this debate: Fynestboi, boay et al.
Damitism i must commend u for your piece and i must quickly say its however sad you didn't display the spirit of sportsmanship going by your comments against the fairness of the Judges. This was not a do or die affair. On the contrary, it was an avenue, a platform to learn and increase in knowledge. I must fess up that I learnt so much today. @Snoppy and Maclatunji, i doff my cap for you sirs. I intend taking lessons from you on how to ask trickish questions.

you just might if DELSU, luckily or unluckily (with the latter being the most likely situation) meets UNILAG at the knockout phase grin grin grin
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by boay(m): 4:52pm On Nov 29, 2013
boay: Our audience we will love to hear from you
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by boay(m): 4:53pm On Nov 29, 2013
Judges please post your comments and criticism
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by snoopy(m): 4:55pm On Nov 29, 2013
Abu Mikey:

Team UI..

Your loss on today's match-up didn't kick you out of the competition, just take a seat and watch other debates go down,those progressing to the next round are being judged by the points they garnered and not the wining positions they got. smiley

exactly! they even scored higher than FUTA (56) who had a walk over
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by snoopy(m): 4:57pm On Nov 29, 2013
agrovick: JUDGE 1
UI (Damitism)
1. Presentation - 3marks
Total - 19
UI (aysuccess)
1. Presentation - 4marks
3. Strength of facts, examples, cases - 2mrks
5. Demonstration of knowledge and understanding of the subject - 3mrks
Total - 16
sum total : 35
Delsu (E-paul)
1. Presentation - 5marks
2. Logic of arguments - 4mrks
Total - 23
Delsu (Dr. Amanda)
1. Presentation - 3marks
5. Demonstration of knowledge and understanding of the subject - 4mrks
Total - 18
sum total : 41

JUDGE 2
Debater
School
Presentation
Logic
Strength of Facts
Persuasiveness
Demostration of Knowledge and Understanding of Subject
TOTAL
AySuccess 99
UI
Damitism
UI
E-PAUL
DELSU
DR. AMANDA
DELSU
School Totals
U.I.
DELSU

GRAND TOTAL
U.I - 73
DELSU - 78

we are not allowed to know the identity of the judges with their respective grades?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by boay(m): 4:59pm On Nov 29, 2013
snoopy:

we are not allowed to know the identity of the judges with their respective grades?
My fellow considered it unnecessary to avoid futher insinuations. Besides, it is not our practice. Thanks
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by Nobody: 4:59pm On Nov 29, 2013
How come Dr. Amanda got that point when she didn't answer any question?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by boay(m): 4:59pm On Nov 29, 2013
boay: Judges please post your comments and criticism
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by boay(m): 5:01pm On Nov 29, 2013
boay: Our audience we will love to hear from you
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by DesChyko1(m): 5:03pm On Nov 29, 2013
Great job guys.. Honour to whom honour is due, I'll love to evaluate the work of Epaul, and generally, the DELSU team, which I feel is best here.

Epaul, I'll have to say you're completely amazing, a blessing to your people. You surely know your onions. Your unique style of introduction shows you know we're more interested in your argument, not your identity. Your foolproof arguments and rock-hard evidences were a joy to behold. You bring something new and amazing to this debate. It's a honour to have experienced you.

However, you'll need to devote a little more time to thinking some points all the way through. Those Death facts were weak. Death is inevitbble inspite of your disposition in life. And your mathematical calculations were quite befuddling. Also, the 'poor preparation/accomodation' argument needed one final nail to drive it home.

One thing I'm sure of is you'll only get better.. TEAM DELSU.. Congatulations!!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by DrAmanda(f): 5:06pm On Nov 29, 2013
FrancisTony: How come Dr. Amanda got that point when she didn't answer any question?
Oh please! I didn't answer ANY question? That's not true. I answered some questions before network got bad.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by Fynestboi: 5:11pm On Nov 29, 2013
Standing...
RANKING

DELSU 78
UI 73
FUTA 56
UNIJOS 0
NDU
UNN
UNIBEN
FUNAAB
OAU
KSU
NU
ABU ZARIA
IMSU
FUTMINNA
UNILAG
LAUTECH
LASU
AAUA
OSUSTECH
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by boay(m): 5:12pm On Nov 29, 2013
Judges please drop your comments for the debaters
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by boay(m): 5:17pm On Nov 29, 2013
On behalf of the initiators, organisers and coordinators, I hereby declare this debate CLOSED

To the debaters, keep following on the planning thread. Remember the schools with the least points will be eliminated

To our judges, we doff our caps for you. God bless you.

To our audience, you are wonderful.

This is just a phase out of the whole competition. Keep following

Normal comment and criticism may continues

Thanks

Agrovick and Boay

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by Omolola1(f): 5:21pm On Nov 29, 2013
Congratulations to the DELSU team. You guys deserved it.

However, both teams (UI and DELSU) need to improve on their use of english and punctuation. There were so many grammatical blunders which made the essay difficult to read. UI's essay wasn't properly spaced out as opposed to that of Delsu.

Also, the points made in UI's arguments were very weak, they kept on repeating the same thing over and over again, thereby contradicting themselves.

Delsu's delivery on the other hand was excellent. Infact, I learned a lot from Epaul's essay.

Personally, I am of the opinion that Delsu won this debate with very WIDE margin...

UI, there's something called sportsmanship, accept this defeat and move on.

Cheers!!!
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by maclatunji: 5:28pm On Nov 29, 2013
My Observations

The debate was really hot as I could feel the passion in the debaters. However, there were a lot of technical errors that I had to overlook as a judge for the debate to make progress. Let me start with Team University of Ibadan:

@AySuccess99, you made a lot of sweeping generalizations like:”…experiences in UI and other universities have shown that those candidates with fantastic grades from JAMB exam could not defend their scores”. The word “those” used in this context indicates that all students with fantastic scores in JAMB that apply for admission to U.I. at least cannot justify them at the Post-UTME level. This is a case of overgeneralization; it should not happen in the future unless you can back it up with empirical data.

@Damitism, can you please check the meaning of the word “conduction” in any decent dictionary not that one that is with you in your mind? I had to check too, the word “conduction” has nothing to do with the organisation of Post-UTME in Nigerian universities. This blunder lost you marks with me.

In addition, you were making statements like: “you will agree” “life is not always a bed of rose”. The first one is inappropriate, we your readers do not “agree”, that is why the debate is holding in the first place, the second is bad English "life is not a bed of roses" is the correct term. Then you said the product of 20 and 20 is 40? This is wrong and removes from your credibility as a debater. Please check for the correct answer from mathematicians.

I read you disrespecting one of the judges, that should earn you a disqualification if we want to be strict, always maintain discipline my friend.

Team U.I. both of you did not even type the topic of the debate correctly, you typed- “SHOULD POST UTME BE CONDUCTED IN NIGERIA UNIVERSITIES?” The word "NIGERIAN" is the adjective that should be used there, you simply did not. Even the organizers forgot to add a question mark (?) after the question in their introduction.

I like the fact that you guys made a lot of effort to provide references for your work, it could be better with direct quotes though.

Keep your heads up, at least you won with me. smiley
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by maclatunji: 5:30pm On Nov 29, 2013
TEAM DELSU

@Epaul, you made a great observation that the Post-UTME goes against the act establishing JAMB but failed to quote the section verbatim. You would have probably won with me had you done that. It is not enough to mention it, tell us what exactly the act says next time. In addition, you kept attacking people not the topic, when you use the word “you” in a debate, you are not attacking the issue but somebody.
By the way, you are in a debate to give answers not ask questions, some of the other debaters also did this, but you are the most culpable in this regard. Statements like: “It is above my head to apprehend why POST UTME should be conducted in the first place” and “I am yet to come to terms with the fact” have little or no value in a debate. They imply that you do not know what you are talking about.

One more point for you, big words do not win debates, clear, logical and articulate presentations do. Go easy on the big words, they will only get you into trouble because you might and did misuse them.

I like the fact that you also referenced your work and made some very good points.

@Dr. Amanda, I call your presentation, “short and sweet” but it was just a little bit too short, you could have quoted sources and provided references at the end of your presentation.

Of all the four debaters, you are the only one who did not provide references. Had you done that, the debate would have ended in a draw on my score sheet but you did not.

Congratulations to the organisers, debaters, judges and readers for a worthwhile event.

Thank you.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by Nobody: 5:33pm On Nov 29, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:
Great job guys.. Honour to whom honour is due, I'll love to evaluate the work of Epaul, and generally, the DELSU team, which I feel is best here.

Epaul, I'll have to say you're completely amazing, a blessing to your people. You surely know your onions. Your unique style of introduction shows you know we're more interested in your argument, not your identity. Your foolproof arguments and rock-hard evidences were a joy to behold. You bring something new and amazing to this debate. It's a honour to have experienced you.

However, you'll need to devote a little more time to thinking some points all the way through. Those Death facts were weak. Death is inevitbble inspite of your disposition in life. And your mathematical calculations were quite befuddling. Also, the 'poor preparation/accomodation' argument needed one final nail to drive it home.

One thing I'm sure of is you'll only get better.. TEAM DELSU.. Congatulations!!
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by Nobody: 5:44pm On Nov 29, 2013
Omolola1: Congratulations to the DELSU team. You guys deserved it.

However, both teams (UI and DELSU) need to improve on their use of english and punctuation. There were so many grammatical blunders which made the essay difficult to read. UI's essay wasn't properly spaced out as opposed to that of Delsu.

Also, the points made in UI's arguments were very weak, they kept on repeating the same thing over and over again, thereby contradicting themselves.

Delsu's delivery on the other hand was excellent. Infact, I learned a lot from Epaul's essay.

Personally, I am of the opinion that Delsu won this debate with very WIDE margin...

UI, there's something called sportsmanship, accept this defeat and move on.

Cheers!!!
thank u ma. We appreciate.
Now, I must direct the spotlight on my fellow team-mate Dr. AMANDA, she is the backbone of our team. I must say, I hold her in high esteem.. DR. AMANDA you rock! To my other team mate - Maxwellokuma, its been long we saw you. Wherever you are, know that we love and miss you. If you had been around we would have performed more.
We worked and won as a team and the Glory goes to the team. We are and always will be the GREAT DELSU TEAM!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by Nobody: 6:14pm On Nov 29, 2013
maclatunji: TEAM DELSU

@Epaul, you made a great observation that the Post-UTME goes against the act establishing JAMB but failed to quote the section verbatim. You would have probably won with me had you done that. It is not enough to mention it, tell us what exactly the act says next time. In addition, you kept attacking people not the topic, when you use the word “you” in a debate, you are not attacking the issue but somebody.
By the way, you are in a debate to give answers not ask questions, some of the other debaters also did this, but you are the most culpable in this regard. Statements like: “It is above my head to apprehend why POST UTME should be conducted in the first place” and “I am yet to come to terms with the fact” have little or no value in a debate. They imply that you do not know what you are talking about.

One more point for you, big words do not win debates, clear, logical and articulate presentations do. Go easy on the big words, they will only get you into trouble because you might and did misuse them.

I like the fact that you also referenced your work and made some very good points.

@Dr. Amanda, I call your presentation, “short and sweet” but it was just a little bit too short, you could have quoted sources and provided references at the end of your presentation.

Of all the four debaters, you are the only one who did not provide references. Had you done that, the debate would have ended in a draw on my score sheet but you did not.

Congratulations to the organisers, debaters, judges and readers for a worthwhile event.

Thank you.
lol, I beg to differ sir, in as much as I read from the same hymn with you on some of your observations, I do not agree with you on some.
Firstly, You were wrong when you opined i was using big words. I'm afraid there's no big words as it were in my debate. Except you want to tell me my audience were pupils in primary school. We are all scholars here - undergraduates and graduates. If I can not use such words and dictions here, i wonder where i would be able to use them. Perhaps, In the market while buying garri?
Secondly, you were way off point when you asserted that in debate you are not meant to ask question. Let me ask you, what is rhetoric? Is it not a form of questioning? Most of my questions where rhetoric questions which did not seek an answer as the answers were already apparent. In debate, you are not only require to provide answers, you are also require to prove that a particular answer is wrong esp. for an opposing side.
Thirdly, you are quite right when you said i was attacking people. Be that as it may, this opinion of yours is also quite mendacious. I wasn't exactly attacking anybody, i was driving my point home and at the same time addressing the issue.

In all though, thank you for your observations. i must say i have picked useful tips from
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by Nobody: 6:16pm On Nov 29, 2013
Menn! See prof them. I hail una o. I don learn alot today o. Thanks to the organisers of this debate for providing an avenue for me to learn more. "Not Am but I'M" One good turn oyibo say deserves anoda. I'm Glad we won UI.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate::Winner:DELSU by maclatunji: 7:13pm On Nov 29, 2013
Epaul: lol, I beg to differ sir, in as much as I read from the same hymn with you on some of your observations, I do not agree with you on some.
Firstly, You were wrong when you opined i was using big words. I'm afraid there's no big words as it were in my debate. Except you want to tell me my audience were pupils in primary school. We are all scholars here - undergraduates and graduates. If I can not use such words and dictions here, i wonder where i would be able to use them. Perhaps, In the market while buying garri?
Secondly, you were way off point when you asserted that in debate you are not meant to ask question. Let me ask you, what is rhetoric? Is it not a form of questioning? Most of my questions where rhetoric questions which did not seek an answer as the answers were already apparent. In debate, you are not only require to provide answers, you are also require to prove that a particular answer is wrong esp. for an opposing side.
Thirdly, you are quite right when you said i was attacking people. Be that as it may, this opinion of yours is also quite mendacious. I wasn't exactly attacking anybody, i was driving my point home and at the same time addressing the issue.

In all though, thank you for your observations. i must say i have picked useful tips from

A great way to lose out in debates is to be asking rhetorical questions when your opponents are making lucid points

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ekpoma Indigenes Protest In AAU Over Sack Of Security Officers, Cleaners (Photo) / Nigerian Students Top Indian University In Accountancy And Physcology / Which Of These Punishment Did You Hate Most During Your High School Days?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.