Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,273 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:15 AM

Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft (13525 Views)

Buratai Arrests Soldiers Involved In Benue Killings, Hands Them Over To NHRC / Oil Theft: NNPC To Deploy Drones In Nigeria’s Territorial Waters / Suicide Bomber Kills Civilian JTF In Maiduguri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by adamooye5(m): 8:48am On Nov 21, 2013
In addition to providing security cover for oil theft, JTF officials own shares in oil theft consortiums, the report says.

A new report detailing the complexities of ongoing massive oil theft in Nigeria’s oil rich Niger Delta says there is extensive evidence that some corrupt members of the Joint Task Force, JTF, actively participate and profit from oil theft and illegal oil refining.

The report, published by Stakeholder Democracy Network, SDN, in October this year, says the entire oil theft is carried out under the watch and protection of the JTF. The report is the first that explains the complexities of the oil theft business in the Niger Delta region and relied on observation and anonymized respondents.

JTF, a joint operation of Nigeria’s defence outfits, is currently trusted with protecting Nigeria’s oil investments and ensuring most physical oil theft is stopped.

The JTF was deployed in the region at the peak of youth restiveness in the Niger Delta to combat militants that almost crippled Nigeria’s oil production. But that approach failed, forcing the government to adopt an amnesty strategy to end the blockade on Nigeria’s oil production in 2009.

In January 2012, following the recession of militancy in the region, and the escalation of oil theft, the JTF’s mission in the region was restructured to fighting crude oil theft – Operation ‘Pulo Shield’.

But the SDN research suggests that a “relatively small number” of top ranking JTF officers have criminal ties to the tap point owners, oil theft unions and camps managers – the most profitable part of the chain.

The reports adds that at the top of the oil theft chain, the tapping point, the most lucrative part of the business chain, top ranking JTF officers own shares alongside technicians and couriers.

“A consortium typically made up of at least three key parties (security, technical capacity and operational access) own each tap point,” the report said. “During the tapping process, the JTF ensure the surrounding waterways are clear so workers can install the tap without disturbance.”

The research also suggests that lower ranking officers are criminally involved in the low earning segments of the business. They “share the relatively small “transportation taxes” from distributor vessels as a supplement to their official wages,” the report said.

Outside the tapping points, some members of the JTF and marine Police collect cargo-by-cargo “transportation taxes” from boats carrying stolen crude or illegally refined products.

“Essentially a kind of protection money, these fees grant vessels open passage through the transport corridor. During their routine patrols of the inland waterways, officers will stop vessels and demand payments in cash,” the SDN report said.

Refiners interviewed for the research claimed JTF officials collect a flat rate fee for each trip, which sometimes vary depending on how much product a ship was carrying.

“If harassed by the security agencies during transportation, the middlemen pay security fees ranging from N20, 000 – N30, 000 per trip,” an informant in Delta State claimed.

A source in Bayelsa claimed that “sometimes, the JTF collect N10, 000 from us per trip but still seize our products.”
In some cases, camps in a given area network, pool their funds to make “regional payments” to security force members involved in protection rackets.

“Where the need arises, we pay a security fee to the security agencies of N300,000 monthly. We group together to make payments of N20,000 per refining camp, which is collected and handed over to them; they then advise us to “be careful.”

Camp operators pay security fees to the JTF to avoid raids even though these fees do not guarantee they will not be targeted if a clampdown is ordered by top officers.
http://premiumtimesng.com/news/150055-new-report-shows-jtf-neck-deep-niger-delta-oil-theft.html

Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by Fkforyou(m): 9:02am On Nov 21, 2013
This is serious,thesame people paid to solve the problem are the ones creating the problem......sometimes I feel revolution is the key to all dis nonsense.....OPERATION FLUSH THEM OUT angry

1 Like

Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by Emmanuel602(m): 9:15am On Nov 21, 2013
that is Nigeria for you. every body is as corupt as the politicians we accuse of being corupt

8 Likes

Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by Ugom38(f): 9:38am On Nov 21, 2013
the falcon can't hear the falconer
a knife has come in between the thing that held us
now things has fallen apart
the centre can no longer hold[W,B.YEATS ]
culled from Things Fall Apart

pls i just remembered my best home author CHINUALUMOGU ACHEBE
i remembered him because he was one man that refused to get corrupt in a corrupted society,i still believe i can make it just lyk you.
Nigerians will breathe the fresh air they've been waiting for when i enter the p. arena, by God i shall cheesy
MAY YOUR SOUL REST IN PEACE
ADIOS SENOR ACHEBE cry cry

9 Likes

Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by skullz: 9:40am On Nov 21, 2013
Ha!! There is nothing new here. This is the sad reality of what has been happening, the JTF in charge of securing various oil pipelines in the niger delta, have always been making deals with the pipeline vandals. When the heat is too much on them they would just parade random folks for the media. As long as you pay your money to the right officer, you are in business!!
Who no like oil money?

1 Like

Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by DonColz1(m): 9:40am On Nov 21, 2013
Nollywood can lie eh, how can somebody put 5 million inside an envelope

4 Likes

Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by BrosG: 9:40am On Nov 21, 2013
not enough proof
Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by LMAyedun(m): 9:42am On Nov 21, 2013
SMH!!!
Which way Nigeria?
People employed to secure the products, are the one stealing.

Corruption! Corruption!!
Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by badmrkt(m): 9:43am On Nov 21, 2013
A clear picture of asking a cat to guard a piece of meat....
Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by damibravo(m): 9:43am On Nov 21, 2013
Leave them alone

1 Like

Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by cold(m): 9:44am On Nov 21, 2013
Fkforyou: This is serious,thesame people paid to solve the problem are the ones creating the problem......sometimes I feel revolution is the key to all dis nonsense.....OPERATION FLUSH THEM OUT angry
Who will spearhead the revolution?You?Abeg forget naija jare.Nigeria is like someone with terminal cancer,It's a hopeless case
Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by talktimi(m): 9:44am On Nov 21, 2013
What is new about this report ? If you need confirmed & protected access to c/o now now sef i can provide it for you. Why else do you think the jtf refused to leave the niger delta even with the relative peace when a korofo is sure of a clean ride 3 months after deployment to the region. Abegi make we hia word bo

4 Likes

Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by Nobody: 9:45am On Nov 21, 2013
Bros G: not enough proof
I guess you haven't visited the region.
Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by akachajega: 9:45am On Nov 21, 2013
I think change must come from the grass root not from the elite,be cause the are just less than 1percent of the population
Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by Nobody: 9:45am On Nov 21, 2013
Reports such as this which are damning reports on the state of our nation always makes my stomach churn.

I am not surprised that such endemic corruption has found a way to bind itself to the molecules of our being when our president in open media said people stealing stealing is not corruption, i guess nothing would be done to this because GEJ thinks its mere stealing and not corruption.

It was Thomas Paine who said that doing the wrong thing over long periods of time legitimizes that wrong to become an accepted right. we may have unwittingly legitimized corruption.

#sad.

2 Likes

Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by gbanikiti(m): 9:47am On Nov 21, 2013
DonColz1: Nollywood can lie eh, how can somebody put 5 million inside an envelope
... Because you haven't seen 5 million naira before. Mind you, envelope gat big sizes too. You're used to seeing the smaller ones. grin grin

Crude oil theft na chop I chop. Na naija we dey. No one will do anything to stop it.

2 Likes

Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by Nobody: 9:47am On Nov 21, 2013
Who no like mega bucks?

Instead of going high tech on the whole thing, the government will rather stick to inefficient security methods that benefits them too.

1 Like

Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by khattab02: 9:47am On Nov 21, 2013
Emmanuel602: that is Nigeria for you. every body is as corupt as the politicians we accuse of being corupt
Gbaam!! And that is how we keep on having injustice here and there. The people themselves are not just.
Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by Dygeasy(m): 9:47am On Nov 21, 2013
It Will Continue Happening. Flush The Supposed Bad Ones Out And No Guarantee Of The Seemingly Good One Coming In Staying Honest And Good.

I've Lost Hope In Nigeria Sincerely. undecided
Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by ekaromail: 9:48am On Nov 21, 2013
Can you now blame d people who call us corrupt?

http://www.karosstoryblog..com
Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by Leadn(m): 9:48am On Nov 21, 2013
In other news,,,

If you're missing thousands of pounds, UK police is seeking yu o, they found yur money cheesy cheesy
http://xtremegists.com/police-seek-owner-of-fortune-found-in-river/
Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by Nobody: 9:49am On Nov 21, 2013
Emmanuel602: that is Nigeria for you. every body is as corupt as the politicians we accuse of being corupt
GOD BLESS U
EVERYBODY DEY POINT FINGER
THOSE POINTING FINGERS NEVER GET THEIR OPPORTUNITY
Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by LMAyedun(m): 9:49am On Nov 21, 2013
badmrkt: A clear picture of asking a cat to guard a piece of meat....
Gbam!!!
Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by Nobody: 9:50am On Nov 21, 2013
everybody in naija wana b rich..even the op. so let them chop...my turn is coming
Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by Nobody: 9:52am On Nov 21, 2013
i am in Delta state,it is also true that,our operatives do this.go to their camps and see the state of the art cars and SUVS on display.Its an open secret that if you want to punish any of these operatives,just transfer them from Niga Delta.this country is doomed am sorry to say.

3 Likes

Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by Ukutsgp(m): 9:53am On Nov 21, 2013
If this is true, it means Nigeria is finish. In Nigeria corruption is eaten raw like salad.
Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by BabaEleko(m): 9:53am On Nov 21, 2013
JEG na their mentor.

1 Like

Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by phtemie(m): 9:54am On Nov 21, 2013
cold:
Who will spearhead the revolution?You?Abeg forget naija jare.Nigeria is like someone with terminal cancer,It's a hopeless case
Nigeria's case isn't hopeless yet...
I think the revolution needs to start by changing the mentality of pessimists like you..

1 Like

Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by Nobody: 9:57am On Nov 21, 2013
This is what have been happening for long, It didn't start today. the military collects money from people and watch them sabotage a pipeline and steal oil. thats why I don't really blame the FG for oil theft because even the people employed to protect and safeguard our pipelines are the ones sabotaging it, GEJ wont carry gun to watch the pipelines or the water ways. Everyone in Nigeria has his or her duty to perform.

3 Likes

Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by Ramcie(f): 9:59am On Nov 21, 2013
Na today? mstw. This is not news. I have a frnd whose father was sent there ( he is a Brigadier general). The man made so much money even the daughter would be telling us that her father does "Oil Bunkering".
Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by slap1(m): 10:00am On Nov 21, 2013
Man Must Wack!

2 Likes

Re: Report Shows JTF Involved In Niger-Delta Oil Theft by Nobody: 10:00am On Nov 21, 2013
nija80: i am in Delta state,it is also true that,our operatives do this.go to their camps and see the state of the art cars and SUVS on display.Its an open secret that if you want to punish any of these operatives,just transfer them from Niga Delta.this country is doomed am sorry to say.

Right on point, Lots of people doesn't know what goes on in Nigeria, It is an open secret that is not even hidden, There was a time they fixed prices depending on the quantity of oil you need.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Senate Drops Okoi Ofem Obono-Obla, Already Cleared Buhari’s NCC Nominee / ‘I Was Trained To Be Combative’ – Adams Oshiomhole Tells Critics / Nigeria Set To Get 15 Rivs As CG Fire Service, Liman Completes Inspection Tour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.