Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,328 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:53 AM

Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? (44198 Views)

Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? / Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? / Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by tosingcfr(m): 2:53pm On Nov 28, 2013
gratiaeo: I de tidy one yoruba damsel as am typing this.
You need pix?
Anybody can tidy but it takes a lot to father a child. cheesy
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by jmoore(m): 2:54pm On Nov 28, 2013
felifeli: Na dem sabi. Who wan marry Igbo sef? grin grin

sorry

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Truckpusher(m): 2:55pm On Nov 28, 2013
lorretta u: I'm igbo but I must confess that's something I really hate about our culture. Every other aspect is good IMO but that osu thingy. Eww
I used to tell my folks if I want to marry and the guy is osu,it won't stop me. Trust them na they gave me the mouth-trashing of my life.
I wish there's something I can do about it

It's not fair.
I really want to be educated on who is an osu and how is it determined that one is an osu?
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by tosingcfr(m): 2:56pm On Nov 28, 2013
felifeli: Na dem sabi. Who wan marry Igbo sef? grin grin
Eyeing one already grin
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by mencade6: 2:56pm On Nov 28, 2013
$on of anarchy:
Some one is watching ooh....e-gladiators get ready for ban
oh my Gad! I remember this face. He was one of the e-gladiators that banned my other monicker.

Wafiiiii
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Nov 28, 2013
[quote author=$on of anarchy]Some one is watching ooh....e-gladiators get ready for ban [/quote. U made me lol
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Afam4eva(m): 2:58pm On Nov 28, 2013
Truckpusher: I really want to be educated on who is an osu and how is it determined that one is an osu?
From my understanding, an OSU is a descendant of those that were sacrificed to the gods and the only way you'll know an Osu is if you're told. It's not written on the forehead. I've never seen an Osu in my life and invariably have not seen the discrimination people keep talking about. Though i heard there are communities that are wholly Osu people.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by collins2good(m): 2:58pm On Nov 28, 2013
Tapout: Maybe b'cos once married, igbo women remain faithful 2 d end
I pray
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Nov 28, 2013
Orlando Owoh: They are still living in the past. Imagine the "osu" caste still being practised.
Hey dude.. try ur best to always stick to the topic for once undecided undecided undecided

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Nov 28, 2013
I wonder how the OP arrived at this outrageous conclusion!!! SMH!
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by kcjazz(m): 3:00pm On Nov 28, 2013
3 reasons

1. Tradition and culture affects the way Igbos do things at least in the past. Divorce was frowned upon hence its easier with one who you can understand their language and culture. Igbos are weary of family lines and history, before marriages or iju ajuju investigations are made about families if they are osu or whatever. But if it is from Kano it becomes hard to understand the dynamics involved. Certain kingdoms dont marry from certain Igbo tribes not to talk of outside Igbo. A prince might lose his throne.

2. The civil war created a sort of siege mentality among surviving Igbos hence they advice marry close to home. Keep your enemies close

3. Again Igbo culture is a patrilineal culture. A womans wealth is based on her husband not her fathers. But the wealth line requires a male in most cases so other cultures might be wary about handing their daughters to folks who hand over wealth to their son or hisbrother including the wife when he dies

At the end for this reasons above I married a non Igbo . Things are changing
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by zannie(f): 3:00pm On Nov 28, 2013
The way anything Igbo just pricks some people like needle ehhh.
Una well done o

Anyway, I think its not just an Igbo thing. Generally people like to stick to what they are familiar with when it comes to marriage, not just Igbos.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by freecocoa(f): 3:01pm On Nov 28, 2013
jay bee:
So we don't value and respect you?

I could have sworn all these qualities are not tribe specific

A good man irrespective of tribe/ethnicity/religious bias should have all 'em qualities, No?
Chill out boo, I just gave my answer is all, I said that because its what I've noticed, I only know so many igbo ladies married to igbo men, you know?

Its not a tribe specific qualities thing, its more like a proven thing to some extent atleast, let's just say men from other tribes are that way too but the igbos are more like that.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Acidosis(m): 3:01pm On Nov 28, 2013
Sarah a: I can't marry tribe which I don't understand.

are you to marry a tribe you understand or a man you understand?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 3:03pm On Nov 28, 2013
BrutusOj: Undiluted lie...70% of d ashis on badoo are igbo ladies,bot divorced,married n single..
I'm seriously tempted to label you A R.ETARD!
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by achi4u(m): 3:04pm On Nov 28, 2013
igbos are afraid of other tribes because of that civil war.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 3:05pm On Nov 28, 2013
Like I told you, it's a general belief
I'm not the one who said it. And I'm not the one who stops them from marrying other women. I just told you the reason they give for such acts. My handsome friend undecided
Truckpusher: Messing around while married doesn't have anything to do with one's tribe or ethnicity ,but self discipline and a lot of factors that cannot be generalized as a common trait belonging to a particular people.
So, my beautiful friend if you don't have anything reasonable to offer on this topic, just shut it shocked shocked grin tongue
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by kubi240: 3:05pm On Nov 28, 2013
u can marry frm any where joor as far there is luv
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Nov 28, 2013
Psychedelia:

Those communities that still engage in that practice are mostly in Anambra today.

Biggest lie I've ever read on nairaland. This is just ridiculous

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by dozai: 3:06pm On Nov 28, 2013
stonebridge: Who is scolding pSquare for marrying a Yoruba woman?. Who is scolding Emeka anyaoku for marrying a Yoruba woman?. Is Gowin Okpara not married to a Yoruba woman?.Ike Nwachukwu married Yoruba and he is no less Igbo than others. There are thousands of Igbo men married to women from western Nigeria, the statistics is low with northerners mainly because of religious issues.
Even John Amechi is trying to get married married to a gay Yoruba man.

Even me self marry yoruba, my people never kill me. and she is da bomb.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by chiwits: 3:07pm On Nov 28, 2013
most Nigerians are principld peeps hence m assuming they prefer wat they familiar wth, i am a zimbabwean lady living in zimbabwe and once dated a Nigerian wo swore to me that he never imagined dating a foreign woman as it was just not proper...............good peepls they stick to wat they familiar with until they meet hotnessssssss
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by jaybee3(m): 3:08pm On Nov 28, 2013
freecocoa: Chill out boo, I just gave my answer is all, I said that because its what I've noticed, I only know so many igbo ladies married to igbo men, you know?

Its not a tribe specific qualities thing, its more like a proven thing to some extent atleast, let's just say men from other tribes are that way too but the igbos are more like that.
A proven thing? How is it scientifically proven hun?

Please point me to any research paper that substantiates this claim cocoa

I personally don't think any sane man would decide against marrying someone because of their tribe.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Acidosis(m): 3:08pm On Nov 28, 2013
Whatever makes them happy smiley

Who cares, really?
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nattydonatus(m): 3:10pm On Nov 28, 2013
Capableben: One hardly sees an ibo man succumb to marrying a lady from a contrasting origin.
The few that end up marrying ladies from other tribes are always scolded at or not given much support.. Why is this so Is it culturally inclined? maybe other ladies are not as good as good as igbo ladies

Give me answers!
.....;joblessness... U can't find any other way to talk of Igbos... Mumu, dis ur thread is as useless as u !
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Nov 28, 2013
Do people even know what the stats for Igbo girl/Edo boy marriages are? The stats must be significantly high!
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by troy20(m): 3:13pm On Nov 28, 2013
Tittos: Nawa o..Why are u lying like this.who marries from other tribes more than the igbos..My sister is married to an edo man and so many igbo ladies and guys are married to other tribes.count the number of Nigerian celebrities married to other tribes and a handful of them are igbos .Even our neighbour is married to yoruba.Is Buhari's child not married to igbo and Obasanjo's child too(You can google them)..Igbos have no problem marrying anybody,wether their tribe or not(at least the ones I know).I've never seen an igbo lady(or any lady for that matter) that tribe has to do with her dream man..Its always,height,money,complexion and other unnecessary things which at the end of the day their husband may not even have.
its a strange ironical topic really cause no tribe marries outside more than the igbo tribe
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Nov 28, 2013
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:13pm On Nov 28, 2013
[size=20pt]WHY ARE PEOPLE BEHAVING LIKE WITHIN-TRIBAL MARRIAGES IS A BAD THING!

SO NOW HAVE WE COME DOWN TO THIS?

MY GODS! SO IF I MARRY MY OWN HAUSA BABE I AM DOING A BACKWARD CRIME??!!!

TUFIAKWA!

ALL NA PROPAGANDA!

IT SHOULD NOT BE JUST IGBOS, BUT ALL TRIBES MUST TRY THEIR BEST TO MARRY WITHIN THEIR OWN TRIBES OR RELATED ETHNIC GROUPS

I STILL CANT BELIEVE THIS! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

SAY NO TO INTER-TRIBAL MARRIAGES!

SUPPORT TRIBAL MARRIAGES!

LET US SAVE OUR CULTURES AND BLOODLINES!

LET US REDUCE DIVORCE AND PRESERVE THE EXTENDED FAMILY SETTING.[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by flinton(m): 3:14pm On Nov 28, 2013
Same reasons why Isaac sent Jacob to marry Rebecca and also the same reason why Nathan Mayer of Rothschild family arranged marriages for his sons
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by coogar: 3:14pm On Nov 28, 2013
Afam4eva:
From my understanding, an OSU is a descendant of those that were sacrificed to the gods and the only way you'll know an Osu is if you're told. It's not written on the forehead. I've never seen an Osu in my life and invariably have not seen the discrimination people keep talking about. Though i heard there are communities that are wholly Osu people.

shouldn't such practises of discrimination be outlawed? osu my foot!!! let me see a mazi or igwe that would prevent me from marrying someone they think is OSU......i would start a riot in that village.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Acidosis(m): 3:14pm On Nov 28, 2013
But wait oo grin

I thought Igbo men are scared to marry their ladies cos of the outrageous bride price
grin grin

Things don change ni?
grin

My Igbo besties, Tchidi...

Make una no vex oo, no harm intended cool cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom / Outrage As Nigerians Perform Traditional Rituals Publicly In South Africa.Photos / The Official Ukwuani Thread: Ukwuani Bu Ani Eze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.