Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,943 members, 7,817,768 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:06 PM

Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? (44288 Views)

Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? / Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? / Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by thewarrior72: 3:55pm On Nov 28, 2013
Truckpusher: Absolutely you lack the basic ingredients to comprehend properly before quoting and rushing into conclusion reasoning from your butt.

In a layman's language :
1) People tend to drop some cultures because they are educated
2) Rich people do not believe in some culture because the society they must have encountered somehow would have made them to become acculturated
3)Most of these cultures that are very backward like your osu system are usually upheld in the villages where you have a larger population of a people belonging to one tribe,region and religion or way of life

And yes, the more successful and enlightened you become you'll generally drop some unhealthy cultures that constantly clash with your environment .For example if i'm an Osu wanting to marry a free born that has an educated father and mother living in a far away land will the issue of being an osu come into play?

The Osu thing has been abolished in igboland for a very long time, so stop peddling this ur unfounded rumour undecided

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:56pm On Nov 28, 2013
coogar:

so we should drop christianity that preaches love your neighbour as yourself then embrace the one that discriminates against our kindred because of some idiotic myths?

hahahaha - you are smarter than einstein.

christianity preaches love your "christian neighbour" and r.ape, massacre and destroy the beliefs of the rest.

enough of christianity.

it has made Nigeria poor.

we used to worship the Gods.

now we worship jewish man.

what a decay.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Nov 28, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

That is not true. Again it is all propaganda spread by missionaries and the church, (just like twin-killing).

Osus did not need titles. The Osu title itself could strike fear into the hearts and minds of men.

Reverting to Paganism is the only way for Nigerias mental progress.

What is not true? The fact that osu and non-osu did not intermarry? Or the fact that paganism won't solve their discrimination problem?
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 3:59pm On Nov 28, 2013
sniperliz: I disagree with op, I have lived in virtually all states in south south, and our men tend to marry the indigenes of the various state in which they reside..... 60% of Igbo men marry outside....

Lie of the year.
60%
Nah
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by coogar: 4:00pm On Nov 28, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Lie of the year.
60%
Nah

so ngozi would rather choose an igbo miscreant over a rich yoruba gentleman?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Truckpusher(m): 4:01pm On Nov 28, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

You are a big egg-head. Im more educated than you (im sure) so i don't need you to teach me the "layman's language".

1) People tend to drop cultures only when they feel a foreign culture is superior to theirs. this is called "slave mentality".
It is a very backward way of thinking.

2)That is the biggest bullsh.it Ive ever heard.
Go to places like East Asia and the Middle East. These people , especially the rich stick to culture and value it more closely than the middle-class. Infact these are the people who spend big amounts to preserve their peoples cultures.

3)Osu System is not backward. It is christianity that has cause Osu discrimination ( i have explained this in a previous post above. go check.) Therefore again, it is slave mentality all over again.
and stop generalizing by saying "most of these cultures".

so what is forward? Wearing skimpy clothes? watching "p.ornography"?, doing drugs and listening to rap music?

Why drop your culture if you are Osu? Drop christianity for decreasing your social status and discriminating against you!
You can be educated but still lack the ability to comprehend. Please do not mistaken it for being a block head.
People preserve their culture and discard those ones that constantly come into conflict with their immediate environment.

once again i understand that you're in a constant conflict with yourself and Christianity that is your dogma it's none of my business.........if you like believe it or not there is nobody that isn't culturally altered in the last two centuries till this very moment.

From your comments i can actually say that you dislike western ideology and culture ? fine. why then did you get the education and the ability to type and use the internet, after all western education was born out of religion.You should have diligently followed the killing of twins and all that barbaric culture of yours.

I'm not saying that western culture is the best ,but copy those culture that will emancipate people's mind from the fear of your small god that live under the trees and in the forest yet demands human sacrifice and define the way you live .
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Nov 28, 2013
Tittos:
My sister lived and grew up in the east..she did all her schooling here and she married an edo guy who lives in abuja,no one cared about it..the only thing that generated a bit controversy was that the dude attebded a pentecostal church,while we are catholics,but suprisingly he switched to catholic church and got baptised. That immediately shut my uncle up. Btw,they still attend catholic church together

I never said there are no exceptions, I have told u the conditions that usually make Igbo women to marry outside igboland.
And Edo is not even that far a region for the igbos sef.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Nov 28, 2013
That might be true
But the mistreatment isn't a norm at all
the warrior72:
That's why they are been mistreated& nobody comes to they rescue kiss
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by jkross(m): 4:03pm On Nov 28, 2013
It depends on individual choice..though some families are conservatives when it comes to their son choosing a wife..In OWERRI where i come from we are liberals we welcome any tribe as long as she wants to stay,and understands she becomes on of us the moment she marries our son..I have uncles with yoruba wives,cousins with Tiv/Edoma/Ogoni/kalabari/ wives some are married to ladies from other African countries..
But the Truth is most Igbo girls are beautiful..even my Isoko friend Obaro confesses it all the time..
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by collynzo2(m): 4:03pm On Nov 28, 2013
The Osu shît has been abolished in Igbo land decades ago, if it is still practiced in your village then you are in the overwhelming minority. Name your village where it is being practised let the whole world know, stop disgracing Igbos as a whole. Nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Nov 28, 2013
felifeli: Na dem sabi. Who wan marry Igbo sef? grin grin
Igbo woman is the dream of most yorubas that can afford it.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by achi4u(m): 4:05pm On Nov 28, 2013
kcjazz: 3 reasons

1. Tradition and culture affects the way Igbos do things at least in the past. Divorce was frowned upon hence its easier with one who you can understand their language and culture. Igbos are weary of family lines and history, before marriages or iju ajuju investigations are made about families if they are osu or whatever. But if it is from Kano it becomes hard to understand the dynamics involved. Certain kingdoms dont marry from certain Igbo tribes not to talk of outside Igbo. A prince might lose his throne.

2. The civil war created a sort of siege mentality among surviving Igbos hence they advice marry close to home. Keep your enemies close

3. Again Igbo culture is a patrilineal culture. A womans wealth is based on her husband not her fathers. But the wealth line requires a male in most cases so other cultures might be wary about handing their daughters to folks who hand over wealth to their son or hisbrother including the wife when he dies

At the end for this reasons above I married a non Igbo . Things are changing

nice one.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by onecola: 4:05pm On Nov 28, 2013
when it comes to marriage Igbos want to ensure they marry to people they can understand. marriage within ones town of origin was prevalent then due to there was little urban migration, my father and his 2 brothers all married from my community no even from other towns in the same local government, so is their sisters who all got married to people of same town. In contrast both my maternal and paternal grand mothers are not from my town though nearby town, the eldest of my maternal mother's brother married a fulani woman who if she is still around will be 90+old. The trend is quite changing as none of my immediate sibling is married from local govts that is close to my town.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by coogar: 4:07pm On Nov 28, 2013
onecola: when it comes to marriage Igbos want to ensure they marry to people they can understand. marriage within ones town of origin was prevalent then due to there was little urban migration, my father and his 2 brothers all married from my community no even from other towns in the same local government, so is their sisters who all got married to people of same town. In contrast both my maternal and paternal grand mothers are not from my town though nearby town, the eldest of my maternal mother's brother married a fulani woman who if she is still around will be 90+old. The trend is quite changing as none of my immediate sibling is married from local govts that is close to my town.

this reeks of inbreeding.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Nov 28, 2013
coogar:

so ngozi would rather choose an igbo miscreant over a rich yoruba gentleman?
which one is Igbo miscreant and rich Yoruba gentleman?
Even by stereotypes, ur question should be the other way round.

10 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:08pm On Nov 28, 2013
Radoillo:

What is not true? The fact that osu and non-osu did not intermarry? Or the fact that paganism won't solve their discrimination problem?

both.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by coogar: 4:09pm On Nov 28, 2013
ngozievergreen:
which one is Igbo miscreant and rich Yoruba gentleman?
Even by stereotypes, ur question should be the other way round.

upgrade your cognitive reasoning.

since tribe is the most important for you - i am asking you a question where you have only 2 options to either marry a gentleman from another tribe or a miscreant from your own tribe........which of them would you marry, it's a hypothetical statement...no offence given.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by fabulousdubby(m): 4:10pm On Nov 28, 2013
Ibo guyz are unique

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by thewarrior72: 4:12pm On Nov 28, 2013
gratiaeo: I de tidy one yoruba damsel as am typing this.
You need pix?
wink grin
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Nov 28, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

both.

I am Igbo, and I can tell you that the idea of osu and non-osu not intermarrying didn't start with the advent of Christianity.

Don't make assertive statements about cultures you don't know firsthand.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by kershley(f): 4:13pm On Nov 28, 2013
[quote author=babyosisi]There is something in an Igbo man that makes him adore Igbo women
We understand them and they understand us
My two first bobos were Yoruba ( they were very good to me by the way) but when it came to marriage,I still preferred an Igbo man too.
Three times I had tried to matchmake some folks
The moment I mentioned the woman was Yoruba,without even seeing a picture,the men lost interest including a girl whose mom was Igbo and father Yoruba.
One of the guys I was matchmaking with (quote)
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Nov 28, 2013
Coogar why are you getting upset
Igbo men prefer to marry Igbo women
That is just a fact
Meanwhile there are many Yoruba men that swear that they will not marry Yoruba women
There are those that dream of marrying Igbo women
If my memory serves me right aren't you one of the Yoruba guys that told us here that you don't don't like Yoruba women
There has been several with those confessions

But like I said,if you have money,we can manage you despite your tribal persuasions
Madu agaghi Abu ogbenye buru kwa amusu

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:17pm On Nov 28, 2013
Truckpusher: You can be educated but still lack the ability to comprehend. Please do not mistaken it for being a block head.
People preserve their culture and discard those ones that constantly come into conflict with their immediate environment.

once again i understand that you're in a constant conflict with yourself and Christianity that is your dogma it's none of my business.........if you like believe it or not there is nobody that isn't culturally altered in the last two centuries till this very moment.

From your comments i can actually say that you dislike western ideology and culture ? fine. why then did you get the education and the ability to type and use the internet, after all western education was born out of religion.You should have diligently followed the killing of twins and all that barbaric culture of yours.

I'm not saying that western culture is the best ,but copy those culture that will emancipate people's mind from the fear of your small god that live under the trees and in the forest yet demands human sacrifice and define the way you live .

Dude just shut up and stop making a f00l of yourself.

Im not saying people are not altered. However the way you generalize things, reeks of arrant ignorance.

western education was born out of religion?

LMfao! are you aware that the first forms of education as we know today in schools and universities, was basically started by the Pagan Greeks, Egyptians, Hindus, Chinese, etc.?

Are you also aware that the mathematical and scientific concepts we study today are derived from these sources?

Are you also aware that europe had largely abandoned your christianity in the last 50-60 yrs.

See again how ignorant you are and how you generalize?

How did you know I kill twins?

Are you aware that I am Hausa and not Kalabari ? (a small section of the Ijaws).

Are you aware that I follow Maguzanci religion?

This shows your ignorance.

You deemed my entire culture barbaric and human sacrifice just because it is of indigenous NIGERIAN background. You didnt even bother to know my culture and religion!

This shows what christianity has done to your brain and thinking. you have become narrow minded and BACKWARD.

you will never fit on the Global international scale. I hope you never leave Nigeria and stay in your village, because your narrowness will be an embarassment for us.

Its ok if my God lives under trees surrounded by its natural creations.

Atleast my God doesnt live under a concrete roof built by the hard earned money , sweat and blood of many innocent common men.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Truckpusher(m): 4:17pm On Nov 28, 2013
the warrior72:
The Osu thing has been abolished in igboland for a very long time, so stop peddling this ur unfounded rumour undecided
You can actually lie to everyone ,but certainly not to your heart because the very lie you tell people originates from your heart. undecided

Go google up things and see the systemic application of your shameful culture,infact somebody in this thread actually said that she jokingly brought up the issue before her people and that she was seriously rebuked .

Denying the obvious is as shameless as those that carry out such barbaric acts in this 21st century.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by thewarrior72: 4:17pm On Nov 28, 2013
Afam4eva:
From my understanding, an OSU is a descendant of those that were sacrificed to the gods and the only way you'll know an Osu is if you're told. It's not written on the forehead. I've never seen an Osu in my life and invariably have not seen the discrimination people keep talking about. Though i heard there are communities that are wholly Osu people.
undecided I will advice u stop commenting on that, that's not the topic of this thread

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:18pm On Nov 28, 2013
Radoillo:

I am Igbo, and I can tell you that the idea of osu and non-osu not intermarrying didn't start with the advent of Christianity.

Don't make assertive statements about cultures you don't know firsthand.

It is BECAUSE you are Igbo that I cant take your word seriously, especially if you are christian. (you are christian yes?)

see the ignorance first-hand of many Igbos on this thread.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by coogar: 4:18pm On Nov 28, 2013
babyosisi: Coogar why are you getting upset
Igbo men prefer to marry Igbo women
That is just a fact
Meanwhile there are many Yoruba men that swear that they will not marry Yoruba women
There are those that of dream of marrying Igbo women
If my memory serves me right aren't you one of the Yoruba guys that told us here that you don't don't like Yoruba women
There has been several with those confessions

But like I said,if you have money,we can manage you

why should i get upset of their backward reasoning? it's more like disappointment than anger. i have had plenty of babes cutting across all tribes & races & i can tell you each of them is a product of her environment.

an igbo chic raised in lagos would have the same character as a yoruba chic raised in lagos. promiscuity has no tribal code. bianca ojukwu is an igbo woman & she has several promiscuity charges hanging over her head.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by sueto471: 4:19pm On Nov 28, 2013
Tapout: Maybe b'cos once married, igbo women remain faithful 2 d end
faithful in what sence? if what u meant is that they don't cheat on their husband. Bros, na lie coz me I one wey dey fire left, right and center so need to give us anoda reason
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by 50calibre(m): 4:20pm On Nov 28, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Ofourse Paganismis better! That is my religion you ---- lipsrsealed
There are some Igbo Pagan women. Ofcourse Igbos these days wont agree with complete Paganism because theyve been brainwashed heavily.
christianity did good to Igbo culture? You are joking right?
christianity DESTROYED Igbo culture. (or atleast tried to wherever possible)

Dont talk nonsense. You were not born then.
In fact during the Pagan era, women were very powerful. Hausaland especially had many Pagan Queens and even today, the Chief (pope) of us Hausa Arna Pagans is a Woman by compulsion.

so you are theory is nil and void. (propaganda).

The foolishness of this era is incredible, where every woman is seen by every man as a mere s.ex object.

What Igbo culture are you talking about, is it the one of barbarism & savagery, all in the name of appeasing the gods?

You are a pagan right? If the chief priest asks you to bring the head of your child for a sacrifice to appease the gods, will you?

And can you tell me one prominent Igbo female figure from the pagan era
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Gudiza(m): 4:20pm On Nov 28, 2013
BIG FAT LIE..... In fact, the reverse it's the case. I can't think of any other tribe in Nigeria that marries out than igbos. What kind of tribe prefers women of other tribe than their own? Rubbish thread.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by heo88(m): 4:20pm On Nov 28, 2013
$on of anarchy:
if I hear.....see this bicycle spear part seller for aba dey form Yankee...bred ke bread ni

Na lie, see ur head! What reason do I have to lie. If I was bicycle seller from Abia state I would say so proudly!!! Igbo kwenu!!!
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by thewarrior72: 4:23pm On Nov 28, 2013
Psychedelia:

Those communities that still engage in that practice are mostly in Anambra today.
undecided Akpa-amu

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

The Official Ukwuani Thread: Ukwuani Bu Ani Eze / Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri / The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.