Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,244 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:56 AM

Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final (7734 Views)

Classic Ways African Parents Set Their Kids Straight(pics) / When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? / Should Parents Tell Their Kids How Much They Earn?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by Nobody: 3:09pm On Dec 01, 2013
Obinoscopy: Oh apologies. It was actually a question (not a rebuttal) addressed to Efe. I had thought the coodinator allowed the debaters to ask questions. I acted based on this post by the coodinator:

You are right. I may be the one getting it wrong then. My comment was based on the order of proceedings in previous rounds. It's possible Tgirl changed it for this round. Sorry about the confusion.
Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by Obinoscopy(m): 3:10pm On Dec 01, 2013
ileobatojo:

Lol. cheesy

Okay.

But why is this fizzling of the bond only limited to teenage relationships? Why doesn't the bond between an adult and their parent ultimately fizzle out to zero after they get married for instance? grin
Who says theirs doesn't fizzle out with time as well? cheesy grin

Just joking.

The teenagers are different from matured adults. Teenagers tend to look for a reason to disentangle from their parents. Sometimes they even get hostile. Thus when that avenue comes via the establishment of a relationship with an opposite sex, the bonding will dwindle and will approach the zero mark. However when such teenager becomes an adult and eventually, a parent, he/she will understand the reasons behind those actions taken by their parents in the past and ultimately the bond will increase, I don't think the bond will fizzle out in this case
Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by Nobody: 3:22pm On Dec 01, 2013
Obinoscopy: Who says theirs doesn't fizzle out with time as well? cheesy grin

Just joking.

The teenagers are different from matured adults. Teenagers tend to look for a reason to disentangle from their parents. Sometimes they even get hostile. Thus when that avenue comes via the establishment of a relationship with an opposite sex, the bonding will dwindle and will approach the zero mark. However when such teenager becomes an adult and eventually, a parent, he/she will understand the reasons behind those actions taken by their parents in the past and ultimately the bond will increase, I don't think the bond will fizzle out in this case

Thank you for your time and your answers. I have no further questions. Good luck! smiley
Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by Obinoscopy(m): 3:34pm On Dec 01, 2013
Sisi_Kill:

First of all, I believe the scenario you painted can apply to both hetro and homo sexual relationships. Secondly is it your contention that stopping the child from dating will automatically erase those feelings? If yes....how? If no....what has the parents' actions achieved? The latter part of my question can be expanded to this - How does your NO TO DATING stance deal with that feeling of attraction.
There is no direct yes or no answer to your question. There are instances where my NO TO DATING stance will deal with such feeling of attraction and there instances it can't affect such feeling.

All I am saying is that its best to wait till when the teenage kid attains full maturity before he/she can be sure of his sexual orientation. We've seen case scenarios where a previously heterosexual teenager later realises his true homosexual orientation when he becomes an adult.
Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by Obinoscopy(m): 3:37pm On Dec 01, 2013
ileobatojo:

Thank you for your time and your answers. I have no further questions. Good luck! smiley
Thanks, it was a pleasure smiley.
Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by Nobody: 4:41pm On Dec 01, 2013
Hey mods, can this and the other two go to front page pls?

No other qualifies than these.
Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by ifyalways(f): 4:57pm On Dec 01, 2013
^ ^ Objection.
No FP until atleast we get a winner,done with the questions and rebuttals. FP would only give one effect- trolls, ASUU products and the inevitable this post has been hidden.
Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by Nobody: 5:06pm On Dec 01, 2013
Pardon me, of course it must be after a winner has emerged.
I forgot entirely.
Thanks @ify.
Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by Tgirl4real(f): 6:08pm On Dec 01, 2013
Sorry ladies. The thread cannot make front page. Embargo has been placed on such threads making front page.

May be after the debate, it can be granted.

The debate is officially closed for this round. I believe all grounds have been covered.
Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by ifyalways(f): 6:22pm On Dec 01, 2013
I see you Obino. This debate must have sapped you. No worries,I go find you one correct 35 years old lady to step down with . No complain about the age ooh,after all na you say dating should start at 24. tongue

You and Efe did well. I no envy the judges.

1 Like

Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by Nobody: 6:49pm On Dec 01, 2013
Waoh!

This is what I call debate!

To me, everybody is a winner.
Its not easy to do this at all.
I can't even pass tru elimination round!
Kudos to u 2!
I enjoyed this a lot.

Honestly I was spell bound.

U guys deserve to be thrown a party!
So name ur choice venue.
I'm equal to d task!
Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by Tgirl4real(f): 7:18pm On Dec 01, 2013
lol

I wish we had a tangible gifts for d winners.
Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by Fynestboi: 7:30pm On Dec 01, 2013
when are we to kwn the winner mami tmama sad sad sad
Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by luxanne(f): 7:36pm On Dec 01, 2013
Just here to say, welldone, first to my Mod, Obinoscopy smiley and then to all smiley

1 Like

Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by Tgirl4real(f): 7:45pm On Dec 01, 2013
Fynestboi: when are we to kwn the winner mami tmama sad sad sad

Hello Fynest.

Results will be announced any moment from now.
Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by debosky(m): 7:52pm On Dec 01, 2013
Excellent performance by both debaters. You are both worthy finalists - your dedication, focus and determination sets a good example for all debates on nairaland.

I wasn't able to interact as much as I'd like on this final but I really enjoyed your exchanges.
Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by Fynestboi: 8:04pm On Dec 01, 2013
Tgirl4real:

Hello Fynest.

Results will be announced any moment from now.
ok am waiting....
Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by Fynestboi: 9:10pm On Dec 01, 2013
Waiting 9:09 sad
Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by Tgirl4real(f): 9:41pm On Dec 01, 2013
Fynestboi: Waiting 9:09 sad

Lol

Results may not show again tonight. One of our judges is unavoidably absent.

I no say you can't wait...so that the pepper soup n drinks you ordered will not waste.

Please bear with us. grin
Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by Fynestboi: 9:45pm On Dec 01, 2013
Tgirl4real:

Lol

Results may not show again tonight. One of our judges is unavoidably absent.
sad sad sad so bad!!!!

.:
I no say you can't wait...so that the pepper soup n drinks you ordered will not waste.

Please bear with us. grin
how do you knw my plan? Mami tmama thats why i love u kiss ehm ehm please do fast b4 this ice block turns to water gringringringringrin

and morever the cheerleaders i hired are gettng tired.. sad
Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by ifyalways(f): 10:56pm On Dec 01, 2013
So,I'm watching this movie titled "Trust" and remembered this debate.

I'm so freaking out, wondering what I would have done,how I would have reacted if I were Annie's mom.

Good movie for parents with teen kids.
Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by Sagamite(m): 11:21pm On Dec 01, 2013
chaircover: Well done debaters . . . YPP when you finish with your dico please can you lend it to me. I need it.

Thank You God that I didnt even volunteer to debate . . .so is this how efe and obi would have dragged me on the floor by my weave with my 0.4 grammar. Na wa o! embarassed grin

Saga you left out the bit where the girl gave you a hot dirty slap for hitting her butt and you went crying home to mummy. Ore please finish the story tongue grin grin

I know how to chop my slaps without crying like a sissy. Especially when I slapped the butt twice to make sure there was no error in my motion that hindered the juju. tongue
Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by Fynestboi: 8:06am On Dec 02, 2013
*Streching*
Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by Tgirl4real(f): 8:39am On Dec 02, 2013
Good morning all,

smiley

Omolola, I have been seeing you around lately. Hope all is good. wink
Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by jaybee3(m): 9:47am On Dec 02, 2013
Final results

Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by Tgirl4real(f): 10:25am On Dec 02, 2013
Wow!

Thanks Jaybee...

Congrats OBINOSCOPY winner of the first ever Family Section Debate.

It's been a tedious 2 weeks..I say kudos to all the contestants especially Obinoscopy, Efemena, Lerrie John and TV01

I congratulate you all.

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by Tgirl4real(f): 10:44am On Dec 02, 2013

1 Like

Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by Nobody: 10:54am On Dec 02, 2013
Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by ifyalways(f): 11:02am On Dec 02, 2013
Congrats Efe. Congrats Obino. Not an easy feat. Some of us would have run away in the heat,I would have, kpata kpata I claim say I dey get connection/network problems.

To all the contestants, lerrie,fynestboi,Xynerise,Tv etc, congratulations a tous.
Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by Omolola1(f): 11:04am On Dec 02, 2013
Tgirl4real: Good morning all,

smiley

Omolola, I have been seeing you around lately. Hope all is good. wink

Lol grin
Tgirl, I'm doing fine. Thanks for noticing me tongue

Congratulations Obi!!! You deserved it.
Congrats to Efe as well, you were excellent
Re: Should parents support teenage relationship for their kids? - Final by Nobody: 8:08pm On Dec 02, 2013
Obinoscopy: [color=blue]Once again, I am most honored to be given the opportunity to speak on a topic I so cherish: Teenage relationship. My esteemed Judges, illustrious coordinators, fellow contestants, informed audience, all other protocols duly observed, I remain my humble self, Obinoscopy (Contestant 2), and I am indeed honored and privileged to, yet again, make this epic presentation/debate. Teenage relationship, in the context of this debate, is a loving, romantic and/or sexual friendship between two people of opposite sex who are within the age range of 13 to 19 years. I had purposely included the term ‘opposite sex’ in my definition so as to limit my presentation to heterosexual relationship thereby precluding homosexual relationship. Homosexual relationship among teenagers is a very vast, sensitive and controversial topic that should be beyond the scope of this presentation. I would suggest that such topic needs to be presented separately and not merged with today’s topic of discuss.

@ Obinoscopy, I would like to emphasize the brilliance of what you did here! Now that's the way to approach a deliberately incomplete/partial or inadequate definition. With your subsequent explanations, you get everyone on board with you right away as to why you have chosen to narrow your submission to only a section of the population involved. By the way, your explanation was also stellar as the problems with same sex teenage dating are quite different (though there is some overlap) and certainly more controversial than heterosexual dating. It is very permissible for that to be out of the scope of your discussion. Great stuff!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Anyone Here That Doesn't Want To Get Married? / Can You Marry A Lady That Has Cohabited With Another Man? / Traditional Wedding Is Bullshit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.