Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,276 members, 7,815,466 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:48 PM

ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home (20360 Views)

FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike / ASUU To Call Off Strike On Monday / Breaking News: ASUU To Embark On Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by Leadn(m): 9:46am On Dec 02, 2013
Like I said in the other thread, ASUU is being self-centred!
http://xtremegists.com/ASUU-strike-update-ASUU-begs-parents-to-keep-wards-home/
Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by LMAyedun(m): 9:47am On Dec 02, 2013
The Drama is getting really interesting.
Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by dvmwizzy(m): 9:48am On Dec 02, 2013
DonColz1: The Academic Staff Union of Universities on Sunday advised parents not to endanger the lives of their children and wards by sending them to their university campuses.
ASUU which also told its members not to sign attendance registers in their institutions, lashed out at the Federal Government for lack of consistency in its statements on the ongoing strike.
The Supervising Minister of Education, Mr. Nyesom Wike, had at a news conference in Abuja on Thursday, warned that any ASUU member that failed to resume on or before Wednesday would be sacked.
Wike also directed vice-chancellors to advertise vacancies (internal and external) in their institutions.
He told the vice-chancellors to open attendance registers for lecturers that resumed in their universities.
The Federal Government then directed the Inspector-General of Police, Alhaji Mohammed Abubakar, to deploy policemen in all the federal universities.
On Friday, President Goodluck Jonathan, who described the strike by the university teachers as a “subversive action,” added that ASUU had ceased to be a trade union.
But the Chairman, University of Ibadan chapter of ASUU, Dr. Segun Ajiboye, said parents should keep their children and wards at home as no academic activity would resume until the five-month-old strike was called off.
Ajiboye added, “Don’t risk the lives of your children and wards. Keep them at home because ASUU will not teach. Soldiers and the police deployed by the Federal Government will not teach. Wike can come and teach in the universities. It is a huge joke to sack lecturers. Our strike must not be in vain. Our students must see the results.
“It is funny. We thought we are in a democracy. I assure Nigerians that we know what the law says about the strike. Our job is statue backed. We are not threatened. “We do not trust the government. The record of the government is clear. This government is dishonouring agreements. Our members are resolved to pursue this to a logical conclusion.”
Ajiboye also said that the Federal Government’s stance was from a script that was played out by the military administration of Ibrahim Babangida in the 1990s.
He stated, “Dear members, stay calm and remain resolute. There is nothing wrong in asking government to do what it says it will do immediately. ASUU is not making any new demands as the supervising minister is propagating. Government is only repeating a ‘one act play’ scripted by the IBB dictatorship in early 90s. It didn’t work then, and, it won’t work now. All branches are intact. We cannot be intimidated.
“If ASUU could withstand Babangida, this government cannot threaten us. We have worked this road before, the only thing that will work is peaceful resolution. It is sad that government wants to sack us because we are asking for the resolutions. We are ready to be sacked but government should learn from the University of Ilorin experience. We are going to stay the course.”
ASUU President, Dr. Nassir Fagge, urged university teachers on Sunday not to sign any attendance register.
Fagge, in a message to the UI chapter , urged the lecturers to be resolute in their demands despite the threat of insecurity to their jobs.
He said, “Comrades, can you see the unfolding drama? Now Jonathan says they didn’t give ultimatum. That the vice -chancellors did and Wike became their trumpet. But NUC’s (National Universities Commission) ultimatum is by the Federal Government to us to resume or get sacked.
“Wike’s press address says ‘FG has directed’ not ‘VCs have directed.’ Be calm, stay resolute. By God’s grace, we are on course.”
The Chairman, University of Lagos chapter of the union, Dr. Karol Ogbinaka, said Jonathan’s description of the strike as a “subversive action,” was unfortunate.
“How can our action be subversive when we do not have arms and ammunition? We take exception to that. We are academics not coup plotters. I have a feeling he was misquoted. I wish to deny this on his behalf because it is an extreme statement,” Ogbinaka said.
He also faulted the buck passing on the directive to reopen universities, saying it pointed to the fact that the government was “somersaulting.”
According to him, the Federal Government is now shifting the blame among the pro-chancellors, Committee of Vice-Chancellors and Wike.
But the Presidency on Sunday insisted that those behind the strike were enemies of the state.
It said this could be the reason why the ASUU leadership refused to call off the strike even when 42 out of its 61 chapters voted against its continuation.
The Senior Special Assistant to President Goodluck Jonathan on Public Affairs, Dr. Doyin Okupe, stated these at a news conference in Abuja on Sunday.
He wondered why the leadership of the union also refused to call off the strike even after its 13-hour meeting with the President.

When dis madness go end.......who is 2 b blame self....ASUU or fg
Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by uzeba(m): 9:49am On Dec 02, 2013
Iheabunike Duke Obinna
Have u seen what the nation is sliding into? All
the schools in SW have not responded yet, but
almost all the schools in SE and SS have
responded. The ones in NW and NE are yet to
open but some in NC have opened. Are u
reading meaning in what ASUU has turned into?
Political group. That is ASUU now

3 Likes

Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by LordBabs(m): 9:52am On Dec 02, 2013
Idi Amin: I can now authoritatively confirm that ASUU leader is high on marijuana. How on earth does he think that an ordinary selfish body like ASUU can stop a presidential directive. GEJ should sack that 1diot from his job, let me see how he will continue as ASUU chairman when he joins ladipo market traders association. Non sense undecided

Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by KolaShangOne(m): 9:52am On Dec 02, 2013
threatening ASUU is a wrong move. The government should meet the demands of ASUU. Afterall, the politicians share billions everyday and amongst other things, ASUU is asking for their share.
Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by safarigirl(f): 9:53am On Dec 02, 2013
luvinhubby: ASUU is claiming democracy when it's national executive is grossly undemocratic.
42 out of 61 chapters voted against the strike, why continue? undecided
are you an illiterate? They voted to end it on the condition that the FG signs an agreement which the FG have failed to sign. Wasn't UNILAG part of the schools that voted to end the strike? Why then is the chairman of that school speaking against the FG if truly they voted to end the strike just like that? You have to make sacrifices for a greater good, even students that died in this strike, will their deaths also be in vain? Did they die only for the strike to be called off without ASUU achieving anything? Did they die for ASUU to call off the strike now and go on another one in 5-6 months time and endanger the lives of more students? ASUU is backed by law, FG can't sack civil servants, GEJ knows that, the reason he withdrew his threat. Please think

3 Likes

Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by GEJfan(m): 9:53am On Dec 02, 2013
i thank GOD that my University will be holding ASUU congress meeting today. I guess our ASUU chairman has also come to his senses like his counterparts.

1 Like

Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by Fiilosofer(m): 9:55am On Dec 02, 2013
While the current indefinite strike action embarked upon by the Academic Staff Union of Universities(ASUU) has had no visible effect on the Rivers State University of Science and Technology (RSUST), as lecturers are busy teaching in all the lecture halls available in the institution, the strike has however crippled academic activities in nearby universities like the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT) and the newly established Rivers State University of Education (UOE).

The industrial action was embarked upon by the Academic Staff Union Universities (ASUU) last week to press for what they referred to as the non-implementation of their agreement reached with the federal government during their last prolonged strike action.

The RSUST where Bariname Bekee Fakae, the erudite researcher/professor, holds sway as two-term vice chancellor is calm. BusinessDay checks around universities in the Rivers State capital indicated that tests and serious teaching are going on in the RSUST.

At the Uniport, the lecture halls were empty while students have since either vacated or are loitering about, hoping to hear good news. This is the same situation at UOE.

RSUST had been in the news over incessant strike actions called by the local ASUU headed by Felix Igwe over appointment of the vice chancellor by the Visitor. The university authorities and the state government later lost patience and crushed the confrontation, employing about 100 fresh lecturers to replace recalcitrant ones. The rest rushed back to classes. Later, the lecturers created a slogan; “strike not an option.”

Now, lecturers in RSUST have disassociated themselves from the strike. According to one of them, “strikes are evil and destructive to the education system.”

Adolphus Ejetobi, a professor and financial management expert and lecturer in the University, told BusinessDay in an exclusive interview that they are not part of ASUU and will not join the strike action. He said, “RSUST is not part of ASUU. We are not on strike. We have already agreed that strike is no more an option in this University because we see strike as evil and destructive to the public university system. We believe in dialogue and more so, RSUST is one of the highest paid universities in Nigeria.”

Desmond Wosu, the public relations officer [PRO], said the academic staff of RSUST had no intention of embarking on any strike action. “The lecturers that we employed do not have any problem with the management of this university nor do they have with the Council. They are teaching,” he said.

The ASUU chapter in UNIPORT has joined the nationwide strike action. This was confirmed by Lawrence Chuku, a lecturer and former deputy chairman, ObioAkpor Local Government Council. He said that lectures had been put on hold as a result of the ongoing strike.

Besides, BusinessDay checks revealed that the ASUU members at the Ignatius Ajuru University of Education Port Harcourt have joined the strike action as directed by the national body. According to a lecturer who preferred to remain anonymous, lecturers in the institution had had downed tools

1 Like

Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by uzeba(m): 9:56am On Dec 02, 2013
ASUU is saying parents keep your children at
home,are Nigerian students still children That
is why they take the students for granted,not
minding their feelings and frustration.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by Idrismusty97(m): 9:56am On Dec 02, 2013
ASUU will not teach. Soldiers and the police
deployed by the Federal Government will not
teach. Wike can come and teach in the
universities. It is a huge joke to sack lecturers.
Don't mind them o.grin.House of assembly will teach,GEJ will teach zoo maintenance, Dame patience was awarded with PH.d na.She will teach english grin.The ministers can also teach.
Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by jackal001: 9:56am On Dec 02, 2013
Obere4u: 42 out of 61 voted for the strike to b called off, but in that 42 some members voted with a clause that the government should let AGN, CBN govo, and NLC to signed d agreement. Is it too much to ask?....

It's so true that Nigerians and especially those in government have a very short memory. Is it not the same Federal government that said 16 defeated 19 and congratulated some1 that scored 16 as the winner? Borrowing a leaf from that, why cnt they agree that 42 out of 61 is a minority and therefore losses the vote? Funny bunch

4 Likes

Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by Nobody: 9:57am On Dec 02, 2013
sum stubborn students will take the advice for granted.
Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by LordBabs(m): 9:58am On Dec 02, 2013
Bossforeva: Girls are very wicked creatures,Infact not only girls,It is every female creature.For example,-Femaledogs becomes wicked when they give birth-Female chickens chases people when they give birth too-Male lions don't eat humans no matter how hungry they are, but female lions do.-Female human beings spend average 30yrs of their lives asking for recharge cards.The most annoying one is..-It is the female mosquitoes that transmit Malaria.Gosh! Federal Gov't need to do something about this females starting from Nairaland Girls before they kill us all o0.. Abeg make una look into my Siggy and vote it works on Computers and phones on desktop views. U need to like the Facebook page b4 u can vote 4 Timothy Chukwunwogor. Tnx AS 4 ASUU STRIKE, I SENSE COUP D' ETAT WHERE ARMY GENERALS, BECOMEs D NEXT VC.

1 Like

Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by Nobody: 10:04am On Dec 02, 2013
ubongutioh: ASUU de madt o. Advice of the century. Maybe they think parent and students are still in support of them.
after go resume na,i dey wait to write "rest in pieces" for you head.
Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by wasak(m): 10:05am On Dec 02, 2013
like someone said this generation of students is nothing to be proud of. when the renaming of Unilag was announced protest broke out, logically one would conclude that such an issue has no effect whatsoever on the standard of education in the school.
back to the present ASUU strike is on for over 5 months, yet students are content sitting behind their laptops to type all sorts of senseless rants on the paralysis, even though It's quite clear that their ranting is Akin to the bark of a toothless dog.
Even here on Nairaland a couple of threads were opened with a theme of finding a solution to the strike, such threads have over 100 views but less than 5 posts.
little wonder our political situation is at It's postmortem, when youths are satisfied with the recycling of old politicians in power .
they rather go clubbing and devote their time on meaningless gists about Wizkid and psquare than think about the sorry state of the Nation.
I weep for this generation if truly we are the leaders of tomorrow!!!

6 Likes

Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by Nobody: 10:10am On Dec 02, 2013
Bossforeva: Girls are very wicked creatures,Infact not only girls,It is every female creature.For example,-Femaledogs becomes wicked when they give birth-Female chickens chases people when they give birth too-Male lions don't eat humans no matter how hungry they are, but female lions do.-Female human beings spend average 30yrs of their lives asking for recharge cards.The most annoying one is..-It is the female mosquitoes that transmit Malaria.Gosh! Federal Gov't need to do something about this females starting from Nairaland Girls before they kill us all o0.. Abeg make una look into my Siggy and vote it works on Computers and phones on desktop views. U need to like the Facebook page b4 u can vote 4 Timothy Chukwunwogor. Tnx AS 4 ASUU STRIKE, I SENSE COUP D' ETAT WHERE ARMY GENERALS, BECOMEs D NEXT VC.
why didnt you exclude females from voting for you? Holoshi
Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by Emerald120(f): 10:12am On Dec 02, 2013
what is this one saying?
Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by Danhumprey: 10:15am On Dec 02, 2013
Obere4u: 42 out of 61 voted for the strike to b called off, but in that 42 some members voted with a clause that the government should let AGN, CBN govo, and NLC to signed d agreement. Is it too much to ask?....
I wonder oooo! undecided
Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by chi2012(f): 10:16am On Dec 02, 2013

Way Rey angry
Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by djproxy(m): 10:17am On Dec 02, 2013
satowind: My birthday loading jooh

Sato if i catch u eeh water works no go enta me and you
Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by Sowhizy(f): 10:18am On Dec 02, 2013
Jokers
Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by oladosuphemmy: 10:18am On Dec 02, 2013
if we resume now,what will be the essence of the strike.it will mean we wasted 5 month without achieving wat will benefit all of us espescially we the student.WE NEED TO BE PATIENT NOW THAT WE ARE CLOSE TO BREATHROUGH.
THANKS.
Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by Danhumprey: 10:19am On Dec 02, 2013
Chidera Favour: I don't understand the stand of federal government again, what is too hard in what ASUU have said? Fg promised to be giving ASUU 220b yearly for five years and ASUU accepted it just that it must be in written form and sign by different corporation(central Bank and co.), secondly, their four months salary must be paid to them. Then if government is really serious about Nigerian student why can't they pay ASUU their four months salary and let the suposed corporation to sign the agreement? And everybody is busy pouring blame and insult on ASUU, please lets call a spade a spade. Okay even if they succeed in sacking all the lecturers and employ new ones won't they be paying them? won't they be spending in renovating schools if the need arise? Yes I am 200L student been affecting by this strike but am not siding government in this things, I don't see anything too hard in those ASUU's conditions
Thumb up! You've just said my mind! The Federal Government have shown that they can't be trusted!
Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by Seyixyz: 10:19am On Dec 02, 2013
Evrybody is jus makin noise..Both F.G & ASUU..Includin evry1 here..Me too

2 Likes

Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by skyluv2000(m): 10:21am On Dec 02, 2013
Its now am fully aware, that northerners and bokoharam are identical twins,otherwise hw cn this man called Nasir Faggea,keep children at home for over 5months,without havin a single remorse, faggea and Buhari are really materializing and practicalizing bokoharam in the education system of this nation. They only believed that western knowlegde is valueless.hw i wish the westerners will reason beyond politcal inclination,and join in the quest for reopening our institutions, to the shame of the of our enemies. God bless Nigeria!!!
Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by oyeludef(m): 10:21am On Dec 02, 2013
where is dat NANS president n wat does he av to say to this threats?

2 Likes

Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by Mickey7(m): 10:22am On Dec 02, 2013
" parents not to endanger the lives of their
children and wards by sending them to their
university campuses." What does this mean?

1 Like

Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:23am On Dec 02, 2013
uzeba: Iheabunike Duke Obinna
Have u seen what the nation is sliding into? All
the schools in SW have not responded yet, but
almost all the schools in SE and SS have
responded. The ones in NW and NE are yet to
open but some in NC have opened. Are u
reading meaning in what ASUU has turned into?
Political group. That is ASUU now
Universities in the SW can not be cowered.
Re: ASUU To Parents: Keep Your Children At Home by Nobody: 10:24am On Dec 02, 2013
satowind: My birthday loading jooh

Who cares?? Ugly thing!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ijebu School Nursing Form: How I Got Scammed / "Barb" Your Hair Is Wrong. See The Right Word / Real Reasons Ladies Prefer To Live Off-Campus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.