Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,069 members, 7,818,183 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

So You Think You Can Cook! - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / So You Think You Can Cook! (5639 Views)

Thread For Guys Who Can Cook / 10 Ways You Didn’t Know To Cook An Egg / Dishes You Know You Can Cook Anytime, Anyday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

So You Think You Can Cook! by Nobody: 2:09am On Dec 03, 2013
If there is anything my mother always taught me, it was that all men should learn how to cook so no woman can ever hold your belly to ransom. Not only did i learn by watching my mother, i've also taken the opportunity to buy cook books and give different recipes a shot and i have to say... with the exception of perhaps one or two, i have always been able to recreate the recipes.

So dudes... can you cook? Better than many women out there? Here is your chance to show off your skills. This is in no way a means to shut out our ladies... please by all means let us have your best culinary creations! Here we go!

My first shot - Egusi as my mother taught me. From scratch.
Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by Ishilove: 5:46am On Dec 03, 2013
My younger brother can cook even more than I. embarassed

I'm a mediocre cook sad
Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by Nobody: 6:37am On Dec 03, 2013
Starting ingredients -

1. I'm a big fan of switching my meat types so i decided to use beef tongue and tripe. I also add ground habaneros.

2. From experience (yours may differ), romaine lettuce has consistently given me the best taste for egusi. You can either buy them shredded in a container like i did or in bundles. I typically wash and shred this. Others use frozen shredded spinach but these do not taste as good in my opinion. Better to just shred your fresh leaves.

3. What is egusi without palm oil?

4. And of course, the egusi! Here in the states, you're more likely to get the ground powder form which saves you having to blend your own. I simply add small water to make a paste and i'm ready to go.

6. Salt, 1 knorr cube, ground crayfish and small ground pepper to taste. Note that if you use the beef stock then you should use less salt when cooking the soup.
Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by Nobody: 6:41am On Dec 03, 2013
Starting the cooking...

First things first... i shredded the beef tongue into bitesize chunks and boiled in water, salt, 2 knorr cubes and onions. I typically save the stock to use to cook the soup rather than use ordinary water. That way the meat juices and onion flavor are incorporated in the soup.... and you save water!
Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by Nobody: 6:45am On Dec 03, 2013

The tripe. Looks like normal tripe you would get in naija. I didnt know what else to do with this so i just cut them up into small strips and cooked in a small pot with water, salt and knorr.
Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by Nobody: 6:50am On Dec 03, 2013
The soup...

After the meat was done, i put some palm oil in a larger pot, fry it a little bit with some meat and then pour my egusi paste and stir. All you get is some funny reddish-white mix. At this point you may not even need to add seasoning as you will be using the meat stock. I only add crayfish and ground pepper at this stage. You can also use freshly ground habaneros if you like your soups piping hot.

After letting the mix simmer for a few minutes (5-7 minutes for me) i add some okazi (you can buy this only at your naija store) and my shredded romaine lettuce. Stir and let simmer for a few more minutes. Sometimes i add some more palm oil just to redden the soup a little.
Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by Nobody: 6:53am On Dec 03, 2013
Stir vegetables thoroughly into soup and let simmer on low heat for 10 minutes (for me i wait until i have dried out some of the water and i can now see chunks of egusi). In some cases, i may let the bottom burn a little just to get that sweet "burnt" flavor. Your soup is ready!

Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by Nobody: 6:54am On Dec 03, 2013
I dont like eba or other starchy lumps so rice will do. Enjoy!

Next... my adventures making nigerian meatpies!

1 Like

Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by SugaryBelle(f): 7:22am On Dec 03, 2013
Hmm!You put onions in egusi soup?

1 Like

Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by Ngokafor(f): 7:34am On Dec 03, 2013
@op nice one,it's always refreshing seeing a man that can cook..

...but i cant imagine making my egusi or any other soup without driedfish and stockfish..

..i guess i am being a typical igbo chic embarassed

2 Likes

Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by Nobody: 7:41am On Dec 03, 2013
Following...

Will post mine too as soon as I have the chance.
Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by Joshthefirst(m): 7:52am On Dec 03, 2013
Egusi with rice? shocked

I can list the things I can cook grin

-stew(tomato)
-cereal(do we cook that?)
-egusi soup
-beans porridge
-jollof rice
-indomie
-stew(tomato)
-egusi soup
-jollof rice

I can and will continue to survive

[size=5pt]some items on the list may have been listed twice grin[/size]

1 Like

Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by yemi2plus(m): 8:37am On Dec 03, 2013
Ishilove: My younger brother can cook even more than I. embarassed

I'm a mediocre cook sad
Like seriously? You can't cook? Anyways, I can manage that. Hope you're good in the b-part?
Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by Loskee(f): 8:40am On Dec 03, 2013
nice one, davidylan. in fact it is a total turn-on to have a guy that can cook. even if i would not let him control the kitchen, it is fun to have him willing to shred beef, chop onions and do the cooking and dishes together. wow

meanwhile, the soup looks delicious too! kudos to you, being able to afford urself a nice soup in the states. i hope the ingredients are not so expensive or difficult to find.
Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by Ishilove: 8:47am On Dec 03, 2013
yemi2plus:
Like seriously? You can't cook? Anyways, I can manage that. Hope you're good in the b-part?
Do you seriously expect me to answer this question?
Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by Ishilove: 8:49am On Dec 03, 2013
Joshthefirst: Egusi with rice? shocked

I can list the things I can cook grin

-stew(tomato)
-cereal(do we cook that?)
-egusi soup
-beans porridge
-jollof rice
-indomie
-stew(tomato)
-egusi soup
-jollof rice

I can and will continue to survive

[size=5pt]some items on the list may have been listed twice grin[/size]
Ta, comot indomie!! Even a toddler can cook indomie grin
Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by Joshthefirst(m): 8:56am On Dec 03, 2013
Ishilove:
Ta, comot indomie!! Even a toddler can cook indomie grin
grin
Abeg I no wan reduce the number of that list. Its scanty as it is. grin
Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by yemi2plus(m): 8:58am On Dec 03, 2013
Ishilove:
Do you seriously expect me to answer this question?
I seriously didn't expect you to quote my post, but since you did you may seriously answer the question.
Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by Miner13: 9:15am On Dec 03, 2013
yemi2plus:
I seriously didn't expect you to quote my post, but since you did you may seriously answer the question.
lolz grin
mem
Loskee: nice one, davidylan. in fact it is a total turn-on to have a guy that can cook. even if i would not let him control the kitchen, it is fun to have him willing to shred beef, chop onions and do the cooking and dishes together. wow

meanwhile, the soup looks delicious too! kudos to you, being able to afford urself a nice soup in the states. i hope the ingredients are not so expensive or difficult to find.

Are you saying you are handing over kitchen to your guy?
@op, i suggest our nairaland babe should enrol in your school. So that they can be a better cook
Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by Ishilove: 11:08am On Dec 03, 2013
davidylan: I dont like eba or other starchy lumps so rice will do. Enjoy!

Next... my adventures making nigerian meatpies!
Yummy, just the way my dadda likes it. Makes me miss my momma's cooking. sad
Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by Ishilove: 11:10am On Dec 03, 2013
yemi2plus:
ASUU needs to call off the strike for your sake. Like seriously
Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by Ishilove: 11:17am On Dec 03, 2013
davidylan: Starting ingredients -

1. I'm a big fan of switching my meat types so i decided to use beef tongue and tripe. I also add ground habaneros.

2. From experience (yours may differ), romaine lettuce has consistently given me the best taste for egusi. You can either buy them shredded in a container like i did or in bundles. I typically wash and shred this. Others use frozen shredded spinach but these do not taste as good in my opinion. Better to just shred your fresh leaves.

3. What is egusi without palm oil?

4. And of course, the egusi! Here in the states, you're more likely to get the ground powder form which saves you having to blend your own. I simply add small water to make a paste and i'm ready to go.

What is 'ground habaneros' bikonu?? Avavav And romainian leave?? Are these like forgeign ugu or sumfin? undecided
Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by Nobody: 11:19am On Dec 03, 2013
Good one, bro. Following.
Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by Nobody: 10:21pm On Dec 03, 2013
The egusi looks superb. Thumbs up.
Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by Feraz(m): 1:19am On Dec 04, 2013
Nice thread...here's mine
The 1st picture is my first attempt at cooking stew... grin grin

2 Likes

Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by Nobody: 6:26am On Dec 04, 2013
The making of meatpies! The dough is flattened to no more than 5 mm thick and cut out into circles with a pot cover. Scooped the meat (cooked with chopped baby carrots, onions and potatoes... thicken with some flour), covered and then baked for 40 mins or until golden brown at the top. Perfecto!

Sorry folks, the meatpies came out so good i ate them all before i could take pictures of the final product!
Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by Nobody: 11:34am On Dec 04, 2013
Feraz: Nice thread...here's mine
Looks very delish.

Your Math assignment and plate are side by side. Aren't you afraid of spilling stew on it, or you just want us to know you're doing Math sha? tongue. And why are you using pen? tongue
Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by Nobody: 12:04pm On Dec 04, 2013
Lol. And that math... lhs, rhs.. lol
Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by jumzzy448: 6:36pm On Dec 04, 2013
So impressed to see men who can cook. I've promised myself to ensure that my son learns how to cook. Cooking should not be meant for the ladies alone.
Davidylan, pls e- dish my own rice n egusi. Bikonu.
Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by Feraz(m): 8:53pm On Dec 04, 2013
Yield:
Looks very delish.

Your Math assignment and plate are side by side. Aren't you afraid of spilling stew on it, or you just want us to know you're doing Math sha? tongue. And why are you using pen? tongue

grin grin
Thank you!
I was reading before my stomach came calling... cheesy

aManFromMars: Lol. And that math... lhs, rhs.. lol
grin grin
So una fit see am!

One thing my mother did was never let me stay back to watch tv while she was in the kitchen unlike now.
Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by armyofone(m): 11:17pm On Dec 04, 2013
David, well done. Lol ewoo romaine for nig egusi soup, shocked grin
Two western vegies i try not to use are romaine and baby spinach.
I only cook egusi when i have native melon or egusi enu ali (sp), onugbu, tinko & magala, some real afri-spinach.
Re: So You Think You Can Cook! by armyofone(m): 11:23pm On Dec 04, 2013
Feraz: Nice thread...here's mine

Umm you try well well but oyel catch the egusi.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Illustrated Naija Cookbook / I Went To An Occasion Today At Oriental Hotel I Was Served Beans And Dodo / Dark Chocolate, Milk Chocolate And White Chocolates Aavailable For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.