Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,280 members, 7,818,946 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:47 AM

Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem (19379 Views)

Some Common Misconceptions Nigerians Have About Other Nigerians. / Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! / Why Do Nigerians Have A Problem With Self Disclosure? Blame it on the witches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by RandomAfricanAm: 12:35pm On Dec 14, 2013
Fulaman198:

There's a difference between learning and utterly copying everything that isn't you. Whatever happened to originality ? Whatever happened to being oneself

^^
This
("African solutions for African problems" doesn't negate use of foreign knowledge & process it simply suggest an African configuration of them)

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by RandomAfricanAm: 12:46pm On Dec 14, 2013
Quick history lesson from a previous postsadenjoy)

RandomAfricanAm:

[s]osystein: Why do people take pride in being the first people, doesn't that fall into racists claims that certain people are more primitive and less evolved than others?[/s]

[s]No because that idea hinges on the notion that the "material progress" we see today is predicated on the human genetic evolution of some set of people ...which isn't true, or at least verified.

This actually plays into a discussion Physics and pleep were having a couple of months back about Jews, IQ, and genetics that I meant to insert myself into but never got around to.[/s] Todays worlds is built on the back of ideas not some random genetic leap among modern man which is largely genetically the same.

To put it simply:
1. Humans seek to meet their basic needs of food, security, shelter, etc. any method(s) they develop to meet those needs live and die within the confines of that group in the form of cultural Memes. These "methods of production" are largely based on environment.

2. If conditions force groups into close proximity and provides the ability to meet their basic needs those "methods of production" once confined to particular groups spreads replacing/coexisting with other models(for better or worse).

See: Nile valley

See: Ghana-Mali-Songhai Complex
[img]http://fpif.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/GHANA-MALI-SONGHAI-EMPIRE.jpe[/img]

See: Swahili coast
[img]http://davidderrick.files./2013/04/swahili-coast.jpg[/img]

See: Mesopotamia

See Indus valley civilization

See: Shang Dynasty

See: Olmec civilization

3. In that environment which sustains larger populations the chance, need, speed, and variety of production methods increase. Given the close quarters of people these cultural memes spread throughout the inhabitants increasing derivatives and improvements while also insuring survival.

4. Those "methods of production" are further spread by trade relations between said population centers. The extent to which you are isolated from those trade routes determines the extent to which you are isolated from the ideas of the world.
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/Niger_saharan_medieval_trade_routes.PNG[/img]

5. As the worlds cultural memes diversify and form ever complex configurations through increased population and means to fund more complex expressions of cultural memes you get todays world.

In conclusion:

No because the world is the way it is because of the accumulated population and subsequent ideas of man ...along with the massive influx of capital that went into the capitalist system that was birthed by the accumulated wealth gained off the backs of free African labor in the Americas along with the raw materials still being taken from the bowls of Africa today.

This materialized not on the back of some special strain of DNA but on the martialing of a huge subset of the accumulated ideas of man that was deposited in Europe at the fall of the Moorish occupation of Spain. [s] All you would really be saying is that the foundation of the worlds accumulated culture and genetic make up that facilitated that comes from "us"

But really everybody is a subset of "us" so what's the point <---That's the real question[/s]
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by cdz: 1:49pm On Dec 14, 2013
@OP: I bet if you were around when Western education first hit the shores of Africa you would have objected to receiving an education in your bid to preserve your culture. People like you make boko haram look good. The surest way to keep from imbibing Western culture and language is to shun Western education in the first place. But I see you have some Western education and you don't mind that you do. And then I wonder whether the Western education you received is a product of your African culture.

Seriously, the best way to judge a culture is to look at the finest products of that culture. The Chinese had Mao, the Greeks gave us Socrates, Aristotle, etc.; the Americans have a long list of fine gentlemen as past presidents. Please, name two outstanding individuals in your country, Nigeria, that are shining examples of what your culture can make of men.

Culture is made to serve man and not man to serve culture. Any culture that does not guarantee the advancement of the individual dies for that individual. And if it fails a generation, it ceases to exist for that generation. No amount of romanticizing can make an irrelevant culture relevant. All cultures must fight for relevance and the way to win is to show to the individual what he stands to gain by imbibing a given culture.

If academic culture were African, for instance, no young person would ever refute the theory propounded by an elder no matter how knowledgeable that young person is and no matter how wrong the elder's theory is. Why is this? Simple: Nigerian culture is a culture where the youth owe the elders everything and the elders owe the youth nothing - the same culture that your political elders exhibit in the present day.

Quit ranting about losing your culture and recognize which culture makes life and living in the present tense possible and exciting. The West was only able to take you as slaves because they came to you with a superior culture. And don't forget, it was the same Western culture that triggered the abolitionists' move. By the way, where were your gods when strangers plundered their shrines?

African culture, like Africa, needs help; and ranting isn't that help.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:00pm On Dec 14, 2013
cdz: @OP: I bet if you were around when Western education first hit the shores of Africa you would have objected to receiving an education in your bid to preserve your culture. People like you make boko haram look good. The surest way to keep from imbibing Western culture and language is to shun Western education in the first place. But I see you have some Western education and you don't mind that you do. And then I wonder whether the Western education you received is a product of your African culture.

Seriously, the best way to judge a culture is to look at the finest products of that culture. The Chinese had Mao, the Greeks gave us Socrates, Aristotle, etc.; the Americans have a long list of fine gentlemen as past presidents. Please, name two outstanding individuals in your country, Nigeria, that are shining examples of what your culture can make of men.

Culture is made to serve man and not man to serve culture. Any culture that does not guarantee the advancement of the individual dies for that individual. And if it fails a generation, it ceases to exist for that generation. No amount of romanticizing can make an irrelevant culture relevant. All cultures must fight for relevance and the way to win is to show to the individual what he stands to gain by imbibing a given culture.

If academic culture were African, for instance, no young person would ever refute the theory propounded by an elder no matter how knowledgeable that young person is and no matter how wrong the elder's theory is. Why is this? Simple: Nigerian culture is a culture where the youth owe the elders everything and the elders owe the youth nothing - the same culture that your political elders exhibit in the present day.

Quit ranting about losing your culture and recognize which culture makes life and living in the present tense possible and exciting. The West was only able to take you as slaves because they came to you with a superior culture. And don't forget, it was the same Western culture that triggered the abolitionists' move. By the way, where were your gods when strangers plundered their shrines?

African culture, like Africa, needs help; and ranting isn't that help.

Nigeria has abandoned its culture. This is why we were never able to produce those great men as you mentioned, except in the says of our Pagan ancestors.

Now the only 2 men close to greatness (GLOBALLY) who came up through culture in Nigeria, are Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe.

Both their works are studied by schoolchildren textbooks around the world.

As to your question about the Gods, the Gods are not human playthings to interfere directly in human affairs. The Gods work in their own ways , such as Karma.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by Nobody: 2:17pm On Dec 14, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Nigeria has abandoned its culture. This is why we were never able to produce those great men as you mentioned, except in the says of our Pagan ancestors.

Now the only 2 men close to greatness (GLOBALLY) who came up through culture in Nigeria, are Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe.

As to your question about the Gods, the Gods are not human playthings to interfere directly in human affairs. The Gods work in their own ways , such as Karma.
Educated of Western and by Westerners!
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by macof(m): 3:23pm On Dec 14, 2013
all4naija: It is the same Fulani or Northerners the OP praises are the ones who want to die for another man's religion. They are killing and bombing their own people all in the name of enthroning Islamic state through Boko Haram. That is laughable from that post.

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO WANT TO REMAIN SEGREGATED AND DON'T WANT TO EXPLORE THE ABUNDANT POTENTIALS OF THE MODERN WORLD CAN BE MY GUESTS!

Thank you.

True!

This is why A people must learn to appreciate wat they have and develop it rather than dumping it for a foreign one which is entirely different.

And then you start killing over wat isn't yours.

That's why I say Islam and Christianity are two of the tools bringing Africa down.

Just look wat happened to Somalia, Egypt, Sudan, Oyo etc.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by macof(m): 3:35pm On Dec 14, 2013
all4naija: Educated of Western and by Westerners!

many Jews and middle Easterns were educated by Kemetians
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by macof(m): 3:55pm On Dec 14, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

I want to talk about Africa and not just Nigeria

Africans have been Great people, producing Great individuals since civilization began in the continent
1. Thoth the inventor of mathematics and alphabets
2. Orunmila the inventor of Ifa, which contains explicit binary coding present in modern Computer
3. Medicine from herbs with incantations were first used by Africans
4. Sculptures and Images were first constructed by Africans
5. Advanced Building structures were made by Kemetians while Europe was still living under tree leaves
6. Mining first started in Swaziland
7. Africans first discovered America and not the fraud of Columbus, America was probably once attached with Africa before Pangaea
8. Ethiopia is the longest running country on earth
9. African philosophy is the first, oldest and most to be proven accurate
10. Yoruba have Co-existed with each other without the use of pen and paper, using their brains to calculate large amounts of farm produce and keeping history in their memory as the pass it from generations orally-.European history before they had pen and paper is lost
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by RandomAfricanAm: 5:21pm On Dec 14, 2013
@Fulaman198:

The self hate in this thread is debilitating man

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by Fulaman198(m): 5:48pm On Dec 14, 2013
RandomAfricanAm: @Fulaman198:

The self hate in this thread is debilitating man

Nigeria is the country with the lowest self & esteem in Africa. They don't want to be Africans, they want to be European.
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by Fulaman198(m): 5:52pm On Dec 14, 2013
I have said my piece, I am proud of being African. I would rather not be anything else. Like Baaba Maal the great Fulani says from the Senegal River to the Zambezi, from Lake Tanganyika to Lake Chad. I love all of Africa. I am proud of the Maasai, the Mbororo Fulani, Maguzawa Hausa, The Nuer, the Dinka, all the people who keep their African culture live and well.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by Adamskuty(m): 6:19pm On Dec 14, 2013
macof:
I want to talk about Africa and not just Nigeria

Africans have been Great people, producing Great individuals since civilization began in the continent
1. Thoth the inventor of mathematics and alphabets
2. Orunmila the inventor of Ifa, which contains explicit binary coding present in modern Computer
3. Medicine from herbs with incantations were first used by Africans
4. Sculptures and Images were first constructed by Africans
5. Advanced Building structures were made by Kemetians while Europe was still living under tree leaves
6. Mining first started in Swaziland
7. Africans first discovered America and not the fraud of Columbus, America was probably once attached with Africa before Pangaea
8. Ethiopia is the longest running country on earth
9. African philosophy is the first, oldest and most to be proven accurate
10. Yoruba have Co-existed with each other without the use of pen and paper, using their brains to calculate large amounts of farm produce and keeping history in their memory as the pass it from generations orally-.European history before they had pen and paper is lost
this is quite interesting!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by Hbuyosh(m): 6:39pm On Dec 14, 2013
That's untrue, Fulaman. So untrue. Nigerians are known for their supreme confidence that borders on arrogance. I saw them at my former uni and i have seen them in cafes and disco halls here how they act like they own the place.
They're confident, that is why they are famous for engaging in pretty risky business ventures where others wouldn't dare.
They boisterously speak in that english we can hardly understand, leaving the other patrons puzzled. On dating scene, they by far outdo us east Africans. Our women love them because of their confidence and percieve them as more romantic. So let's face it, the most outstanding people in Africa are probably Nigerians. We admit that. And u say they lack self esteem?
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by MamiWata: 6:42pm On Dec 14, 2013
Fulaman198:

Nigeria is the country with the lowest self & esteem in Africa. They don't want to be Africans, they want to be European.

You probably feel that way because you are Nigerian and your love of Nigeria saddens you into feeling that they have lost the most. However the race to the bottom of this barrel is something all African countries engage in. For example Cote D'Ivoire and Senegal provide Nigeria with very stiff competition.
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:31pm On Dec 14, 2013
Hbuyosh: That's untrue, Fulaman. So untrue. Nigerians are known for their supreme confidence that borders on arrogance. I saw them at my former uni and i have seen them in cafes and disco halls here how they act like they own the place.
They're confident, that is why they are famous for engaging in pretty risky business ventures where others wouldn't dare.
They boisterously speak in that english we can hardly understand, leaving the other patrons puzzled. On dating scene, they by far outdo us east Africans. Our women love them because of their confidence and percieve them as more romantic. So let's face it, the most outstanding people in Africa are probably Nigerians. We admit that. And u say they lack self esteem?

You dont understand it.

There is more to us than meets the eye.

This is an internal matter

We are not discussing how cool we Nigerians are.

We are discussing about Nigerian attitude to our religions and cultures.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by Fulaman198(m): 7:42pm On Dec 14, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

You dont understand it.

There is more to us than meets the eye.

This is an internal matter

We are not discussing how cool we Nigerians are.

We are discussing about Nigerian attitude to our religions and cultures.

Exactly this is something we have to deal with

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by Fulaman198(m): 7:47pm On Dec 14, 2013
MamiWata:

You probably feel that way because you are Nigerian and your love of Nigeria saddens you into feeling that they have lost the most. However the race to the bottom of this barrel is something all African countries engage in. For example Cote D'Ivoire and Senegal provide Nigeria with very stiff competition.

I agree with you about Cote D'Ivoire but not necessarily Senegal. Senegal still has their Laamb wrestling which has taken off. They play much more traditional music than Nigeria does. They speak their languages like Wolof, Fulfulde(Pular Fulani language), and Serer better than French. Nigerians take pride in speaking European languages more so than their own languages. Senegalese don't have such inferiority complex.
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by RandomAfricanAm: 9:19pm On Dec 14, 2013
Fulaman198:

I agree with you about Cote D'Ivoire but not necessarily Senegal. Senegal still has their [size=24pt]Laamb!!!!! [/size] wrestling which has taken off. They play much more traditional music than Nigeria does. They speak their languages like Wolof, Fulfulde(Pular Fulani language), and Serer better than French. Nigerians take pride in speaking European languages more so than their own languages. Senegalese don't have such inferiority complex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-Dy8n23yAM

This is not about total destruction. Its like chess but with fighting skills. you have to make masterful decisions based on patience. Its nothing like western fighting. These men have families to go home to. Its not about stomping a mans eye socket out. The western world will bring you the blood and violence you're looking for. This is more about respect, skill and not destruction
- random guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHr4ekIq2HQ
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by RandomAfricanAm: 9:26pm On Dec 14, 2013
I'm also liking Morengy in Madagascar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNwKdXNwuDg
Ok back on topic
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by MamiWata: 10:07pm On Dec 14, 2013
Fulaman198:

I agree with you about Cote D'Ivoire but not necessarily Senegal. Senegal still has their Laamb wrestling which has taken off. They play much more traditional music than Nigeria does. They speak their languages like Wolof, Fulfulde(Pular Fulani language), and Serer better than French. Nigerians take pride in speaking European languages more so than their own languages. Senegalese don't have such inferiority complex.

Laamb is awesome. My biggest issue with Senegalese is their disdain for traditional spirituality. The only region that has a semblance of respect for the spiritual traditions is in Casamance and they wanted to seceed (sp). Most Senegalese practice a version of Islam that has a lot of African elements (i.e. virtually everything we see in those laamb competitions before the fight starts) but the ones I know show so much disdain towards ceddo and other Senegalese traditions. It's really sad. At least Nigeria has universities of Ifa and I even finally met a traditional Igbo!

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by RandomAfricanAm: 10:31pm On Dec 14, 2013
MamiWata:

Laamb is awesome. My biggest issue with Senegalese is their disdain for traditional spirituality. The only region that has a semblance of respect for the spiritual traditions is in Casamance and they wanted to seceed (sp). Most Senegalese practice a version of Islam that has a lot of African elements (i.e. virtually everything we see in those laamb competitions before the fight starts) but the ones I know show so much disdain towards [size=28pt]ceddo!!!![/size] and other Senegalese traditions. It's really sad. At least Nigeria has universities of Ifa and I even finally met a traditional Igbo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ipcync79CI
(You guys keep bringing up some of my favorite things)
Ok back on topic

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by Nobody: 11:08pm On Dec 14, 2013
Promhize:

Bro God bless you. They won't listen, some are already celebrating halloween, thanksgiving (US's), baby showers, etc

Okay...the Halloween thing just cracks me up!
Like, really......nonsense raised to power 9
I cringe in embarrassment any time I see "such"

People name their children Tatiana, Beyoncé, Natasha, Adrian, Kimora, etc...chai!
(I also have an English name...but I excuse the generation that named us....colonialism mended them! )
I like it when a child has only ethnic names....from its tribe or outside of it, ....so long as it is African , I like!

I guess I am fake, as I have not totally done away with "oyibo" culture and especially the benefits, eg the device I use to type this
But, so help me, I want to be as African as possible, and have started repressing the fact of my non African name
I don't see oyibos with African names...

Okay...I am going to stop and stay within the topic ......
Languages? I don't think this is bad.....
Knowing how to communicate with people from different parts of the world is good and an advantage....world being a global village and all, with trade, sports, relations happening among the world' s different peoples
......but can I do that while bearing my native name, my identity?
Thanks.

I see Asians, contributing to world development, big time, and still retaining their identity and culture...super cool

If you travel outside of Nigeria (well not everybody believes this)..and see differences in race and experience even the tiniest bit of racism, stuff like wearing weaves, etc would start feeling like a betrayal of your identity, a lil bit, or a lot
Well, I feel this way (shrugs)
(Currently have weaves,...but feel like a total fraud! Oh well, I shall get there)

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by Nobody: 11:19pm On Dec 14, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Both their works are studied by schoolchildren textbooks around the world

I am guessing you forgot Fela
.....the book Americanah no matter what you may think of its writer or the book itself, is a celebration of African-ness
Kinda off point, but not really
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by Nobody: 11:46pm On Dec 14, 2013
I am Igbo, know next to nothing about politics
(I guess corruption made our politics unpalatable to me, and I never bothered to "know)
My post is about our president, and I am not hating ( truth is, I don't know anything about him)

So I like that GEJ dresses African
...but please, oh please can his people tell him there is a way to be smartly and natively dressed?
Imagine him with black tailored trousers and a nice Ankara short sleeved shirt.......or a plain shirt with Ankara pocket ? lapels and or similar details.....

Or nice linen safari outfit.....with maybe native material details like pocket inlay, buttons, etc
He should drop the hat

My point is that he can dress, and look smarter
and this is coming from a non hating place
He should sack his fashion advisers...

It is one thing to be Afro-centric...and quite another thing to look a certain way that makes one want to hide him any time he is shown with other presidents
He can keep the dressing I know him with for national holidays, etc
I really feel his dressing makes him appear ungainly and unserious
He really can do better

That buttoned up high neck "is it safari? " with a hat look makes me want to scream most times
And I am totally not a fashion person
Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!!

This post is strictly and solely about GEJ 's dressing
Let the records note this
Thanks
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by RandomAfricanAm: 12:01am On Dec 15, 2013
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by RandomAfricanAm: 12:07am On Dec 15, 2013
Nigeria this comes from a place of love ...just say [size=16pt]NO[/size]

Sigh sad cry

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by Nobody: 12:11am On Dec 15, 2013
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by RandomAfricanAm: 12:20am On Dec 15, 2013
Scorpionking: say no to what?

The fact that I had to answer that question says so much about the validity of this thread cry
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by Nobody: 12:23am On Dec 15, 2013
Re: Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem by RandomAfricanAm: 12:37am On Dec 15, 2013
Scorpionking: you mean your white neo -colonial masters?

there you go ...fixed it cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

An Emirati Singing Yoruba Praise And Worship In His Shop In Dubai. / Oluwo Of Iwo, Adewale Akanbi, Dancing (Photos, Video) / You're Missing Alot If You've Never Dated An Akwa Ibom Girl(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.