Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,163 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:47 AM

we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. (6992 Views)

When Our Spiritual Leaders Err/backslide / Atheists Err When Asking For Material Evidence To Prove God's Existence / Crucifixion Of Jesus In Err - Bible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by MEILYN(m): 7:30am On Dec 21, 2013
"For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men," (Titus 2:11).
"Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;" (Titus 2:12)
.<<<For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men teaching us that to deny ungodliness, we must live righteously. How do we live righteously? What does living righteously mean?

"And it shall be our righteousness, if we observe to do all these commandments before the LORD our God, as he hath commanded us." (Deuteronomy 6:25).<<< righteousness is when you obey the Laws of the Lord. So that verse means the grace of God that brings salvation to all men has appeared to teach us that to deny ungodliness you must have to obey the laws of God.

"Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law." (Romans 3:31).<< do we then destroy the law because grace has come unto us? God forbid, yea we establish the law, they kept the law, all the disciples did, including Paul.

"What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?" (Romans 6:1).
"God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?" (Romans 6:2).
<< what shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin? What does sin mean? Sin is the transgression of the Law, so what Paul was saying is this, should we continue to break the law because we are under grace? God forbid, how shall we that are dead to not breaking the laws anymore continue in breaking the laws?

"Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law." (1 John 3:4).<<< sin is the transgression of the law.

"For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid." (Romans 6:14-15).<<the law shall not have dominion over you because you are under grace and not the law, but shall we keep breaking the laws because we can now ask for forgiveness easily without killing goats etc? God forbid.

Secondly, what laws did Christ abolish/ fulfil?

"For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ." (John 1:17). << for the law was giving by moses[sacrificial laws] but grace and truth came by Christ. What does truth mean?

"Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and thy law is the truth." (Psalm 119:142). <<<the law is the truth, so what does that mean? Christ brought grace and the law to mankind, Christ's own law, the magnification of the law of Moses, abolished/ fulfilled the sacrificial laws of Moses and not the Moral laws of Moses, except for the an eye for an eye part.

"And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me. " (Luke 24:44).<< now lets see the laws Christ fulfilled.

"For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those SACRIFICES which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect." (Hebrews 10:1). << the law which is sacrificial laws cannot make any man perfect.

"For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins." (Hebrews 10:2). << but they did. Because they kept sacrificing their lambs repeatedly every single year.

"For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins." (Hebrews 10:4). << this is the main reason why Christ died, putting himself in place of the sacrificial laws, Christ has abolished that, but he didnt abolish the moral laws.

"Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me: In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure." (Hebrews 10:5-6). << when Christ came into the world he said, Sacrifice and Offering you guys shouldnt do it anymore, for in burnt offerings thou has had no pleasure.

"Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God." (Hebrews 10:7). << which will did Christ come to do?

"Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;" (Hebrews 10:8 )....

In Summary, back then it was Sacrifice and Laws, you keep the laws and then you sacrifice goats for forgiveness of sins but Christ brought Grace and Truth what is the Truth? The law is the truth, which means, Christ came to Abolish the Sacrificial laws but we still have to keep the laws of God, anytime we sin, we dont have to kill rams and goats anymore for forgiveness of sins, but what we have to do is to pray for forgiveness and we will be forgiven because Christ is the Lamb who died for Israel for forgiveness of sins. The Moral Laws wasnt Abolished, just the sacrificial laws, so the law of moses continues.

"And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;" (2 Peter 3:15)."As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction." (2 Peter 3:16). <<people dont understand what grace is and why Christ died. Thats the problem. You Christians misunderstand Pauls word.

2 Likes

Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by haibe(m): 8:34am On Dec 21, 2013
Oga Meilyn. I do not totally agree with this.

Let's start from here:

Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring
us unto Christ, that we might be justified by
faith. (Galatians 3:24)

But after that faith is come, we are no longer
under a schoolmaster. (Galatians 3:25)

But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under
the law.(Galatians 5:18)

what's your take on these verses?
Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by haibe(m): 8:47am On Dec 21, 2013
MEILYN: "For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men," (Titus 2:11).
"Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;" (Titus 2:12)
.<<<For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men teaching us that to deny ungodliness, we must live righteously. How do we live righteously? What does living righteously mean?

"And it shall be our righteousness, if we observe to do all these commandments before the LORD our God, as he hath commanded us." (Deuteronomy 6:25).<<< righteousness is when you obey the Laws of the Lord. So that verse means the grace of God that brings salvation to all men has appeared to teach us that to deny ungodliness you must have to obey the laws of God.

But now the righteousness of God without the
law is manifested, being witnessed by the law
and the prophets (Romans 3:21)
Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by MEILYN(m): 8:57am On Dec 21, 2013
haibe: Oga Meilyn. I do not totally agree with this.

Let's start from here:

Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring
us unto Christ, that we might be justified by
faith. (Galatians 3:24)<<wherefore the sacrificial laws taught us how to come unto Christ through faith.

But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. (Galatians 3:25)<<all talking about sacrificial laws.

But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.(Galatians 5:18)<< sacrificial laws. Paul can not be contradicting himself.

what's your take on these verses?
the sacrificial laws that is... You dont have to agree with me, the bible spoke for itself.

Jesus brought grace and truth to the world, and the bible says truth is the law. Do u wanna argue that bro?. Secondly those verses you posted up there supports my claim actually, if you read my post, i handled that already bro. Anyway let me digress a little.

"(For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified." (Romans 2:13). <<<Paul said it not me, the doers of the law shall be justified. Yes you dont have to keep the sacrificial laws, it doesnt profit anybody but the moral laws we must keep. In other verses he said the law can not justify anybody, and on this verse he says the doers of the law shall be justified. Is that a contradiction? No. Why? Because he is talking about two different laws, Hebrew 10 tells us the laws Christ abolished. Its that simple.

"For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous." (1 John 5:3). << the love of God is keeping the law [moral laws].

"But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him." (1 John 2:5). << saying the same thing.

"Repent ye therefore, and be CONVERTED, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;" (Acts 3:19).<< what converts you?

"The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple." (Psalm 19:7). << the law.

Stop preaching that grace and law stuff bro. Yes there is grace, but the grace came to teach us something which is the law, and there is truth, what is truth? The law. Everything leads you back to the law.
Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by haibe(m): 8:59am On Dec 21, 2013
MEILYN:
"Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law." (Romans 3:31).<< do we then destroy the law because grace has come unto us? God forbid, yea we establish the law, they kept the law, all the disciples did, including Paul.

I don't think they did after christ died, read Acts 15.

The concept of faith does not nullify the law as such since we are said to fulfil the law by love. So paul hasn't contradicted all he has said in several passages here.
Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by haibe(m): 9:01am On Dec 21, 2013
MEILYN: the sacrificial laws that is... You dont have to agree with me, the bible spoke for itself.

Jesus brought grace and truth to the world, and the bible says truth is the law. Do u wanna argue that bro?. Secondly those verses you posted up there supports my claim actually, if you read my post, i handled that already bro. Anyway let me digress a little.

"(For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified." (Romans 2:13). <<<Paul said it not me, the doers of the law shall be justified. Yes you dont have to keep the sacrificial laws, it doesnt profit anybody but the moral laws we must keep. In other verses he said the law can not justify anybody, and on this verse he says the doers of the law shall be justified. Is that a contradiction? No. Why? Because he is talking about two different laws, Hebrew 10 tells us the laws Christ abolished. Its that simple.

"For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous." (1 John 5:3). << the love of God is keeping the law [moral laws].

"But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him." (1 John 2:5). << saying the same thing.

"Repent ye therefore, and be CONVERTED, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;" (Acts 3:19).<< what converts you?

"The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple." (Psalm 19:7). << the law.

Stop preaching that grace and law stuff bro. Yes there is grace, but the grace came to teach us something which is the law, and there is truth, what is truth? The law. Everything leads you back to the law.

Do you know Christ came to fulfill the law as a whole?

Do you know if Christ did not fulfill all, we are still under the sacrificial laws and no jot will pass away?
Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by MEILYN(m): 9:04am On Dec 21, 2013
haibe:

But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law
and the prophets (Romans 3:21)

read the whole chapter 3.
Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by haibe(m): 9:09am On Dec 21, 2013
MEILYN: the sacrificial laws that is... You dont have to agree with me, the bible spoke for itself.

Lol The law is truth, Jesus is truth, the Holy Spirit is truth, a lot of things are said to.be truth.

So why do you equate only the law with truth.

Jesus brought truth, the truth of salvation from sin through grace, not by the law.

2 Likes

Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by haibe(m): 9:11am On Dec 21, 2013
MEILYN: read the whole chapter 3.

I have done that.

The bible says the following:

Now we know that what
things soever the law
saith, it saith to them
who are under the law:
that every mouth may be
stopped, and all the
world may become guilty
before God.

Are we among those under the law here?
Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by MEILYN(m): 9:21am On Dec 21, 2013
haibe:

Do you know Christ came to fulfill the law as a whole?

Do you know if Christ did not fulfill all, we are still under the sacrificial laws and no jot will pass away?
Okay, lets read Hebrew 10, lets see the laws Christ fulfilled in the book of the prophets.

"For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect." (Hebrews 10:1). <<<, These are the laws Paul was talking about, Sacrificial laws can not justify anybody, it can not make anybody perfect, it is stated clearly here the Laws which are abolished.

"For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins." (Hebrews 10:2) .<< what does this mean? They would have stopped the sacrificial laws because after the offerings they still had the conscience of sin in them.

"But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year." (Hebrews 10:3). With the sacrifices, sins are still remembered

"For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins." (Hebrews 10:4). << it is impossible that blood of goats should take away sin, but my blood can take away sin, meaning when you sin you dont have to kill goats e.t.c anymore for forgiveness of sins because Christ has abolished that law, hence why Paul said you just have to confess with your mouth now, no more killing of goats.

"Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:" (Hebrews 10:5). << self explanatory, he came to abolish the sacrificial laws, thats reason why he came.

"In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure." (Hebrews 10:6). << in burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin, it hasnt pleased anybody, even God, this law doesnt please God, it cant justify anybody

read further. Hebrews 10 gives you the full picture of the Laws Paul was refering to and how you can be saved by the law through faith. And not faith alone, James further explains this.

1 Like

Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by MEILYN(m): 9:25am On Dec 21, 2013
haibe:

Lol The law is truth, Jesus is truth, the Holy Spirit is truth, a lot of things are said to.be truth.

So why do you equate only the law with truth.

Jesus brought truth, the truth of salvation from sin through grace, not by the law.
And can you explain with scriptures? You see the way i do mine lol. I have explained what grace is, its not what you think it is, all in the post, you just have to read with diligence and with an open mind, the bible says Truth is the law, why is Christ the Truth? Because he teaches the law, Christ taught the Law, Paul, James, Peter did too. The Holy spirit is the Truth because, it teaches us truth which is the law bro.
Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by haibe(m): 9:32am On Dec 21, 2013
MEILYN: Okay, lets read Hebrew 10, lets see the laws Christ fulfilled in the book of the prophets.

"For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect." (Hebrews 10:1). <<<, These are the laws Paul was talking about, Sacrificial laws can not justify anybody, it can not make anybody perfect, it is stated clearly here the Laws which are abolished.

"For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins." (Hebrews 10:2) .<< what does this mean? They would have stopped the sacrificial laws because after the offerings they still had the conscience of sin in them.

"But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year." (Hebrews 10:3). With the sacrifices, sins are still remembered

"For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins." (Hebrews 10:4). << it is impossible that blood of goats should take away sin, but my blood can take away sin, meaning when you sin you dont have to kill goats e.t.c anymore for forgiveness of sins because Christ has abolished that law, hence why Paul said you just have to confess with your mouth now, no more killing of goats.

"Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:" (Hebrews 10:5). << self explanatory, he came to abolish the sacrificial laws, thats reason why he came.

"In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure." (Hebrews 10:6). << in burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin, it hasnt pleased anybody, even God, this law doesnt please God, it cant justify anybody

read further. Hebrews 10 gives you the full picture of the Laws Paul was refering to and how you can be saved by the law through faith. And not faith alone, James further explains this.

you are right, Hebrews centred mainly on those sacrificial parts of the law but I wasn't even quoting from hebrews.

Here are the words of christ:

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law,
or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, BUT TO FULFILL

18 For verily I say unto you, TILL HEAVEN AND EARTH PASS AWAY, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, TILL ALL BE FULFILLED

In verse 17, christ says he came to fulfill the law
In verse 18, he says the law, not even a jot, not sacrificial will pass away till ALL is fullfilled.

Now was Jesus successful in fulfilling the law?
Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by haibe(m): 9:33am On Dec 21, 2013
MEILYN: And can you explain with scriptures? You see the way i do mine lol. I have explained what grace is, its not what you think it is, all in the post, you just have to read with diligence and with an open mind, the bible says Truth is the law, why is Christ the Truth? Because he teaches the law, Christ taught the Law, Paul, James, Peter did too. The Holy spirit is the Truth because, it teaches us truth which is the law bro.

I should explain what? that Jesus did not bring salvation by the law?
Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by MEILYN(m): 9:53am On Dec 21, 2013
haibe:

you are right, Hebrews centred mainly on sacrificial laws but I wasn't even quoting from hebrews.

Here is the word of christ:

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law,
or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, BUT TO FULFILL

18 For verily I say unto you, TILL HEAVEN AND EARTH PASS AWAY, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, TILL ALL BE FULFILLED

In verse 17, christ says he came to fulfill the law
In verse 18, he says the law, not even a jot, not sacrificial will pass away till ALL is fullfilled.

Now was Jesus successful in fulfilling the law?

grin, now you dont understand these things bro, you know why? Because you are getting things mixed up. Hebrew clearified the statement of Christ, the death of Christ fulfilled something, what did it fulfil? the Sacrificial laws, thats what Hebrews is telling you, Christ sacrificed himself in place of goats etc. That is the fulfilment of that law, I will explain why.

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. " (Matthew 5:17). <<< what did Christ fulfil?, he didnt fulfil all laws, he only fulfiled a particular law, thats what the verse 17 and 18 is saying.

"And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me. " (Luke 24:44). << saying same thing, He came to fulfil the sacrificial laws by sacrificing himself. Lets go further.

"For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. " (Matthew 5:18). << this is a different statement entirely, all has not been fulfilled until the second coming when the laws shall be written in our inward part, there will be nothing like sin anymore, the verse 17 says he came to fulfill the law, which means his coming has fulfilled a particurlar law. The verse 18 says the law shall not pass until heaven and earth pass away and all be fulfilled, all has not been fulfilled yet, so which law do you think Christ came to fulfil?. Dont you see those verses are talking about different laws? The verse 19 is talking about the moral laws, it explains it all.
Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by haibe(m): 10:02am On Dec 21, 2013
MEILYN: grin, now you dont understand these things bro, you know why? Because you are getting things mixed up. Hebrew clearified the statement of Christ, the death of Christ fulfilled something, what did it fulfil? the Sacrificial laws, thats what Hebrews is telling you, Christ sacrificed himself in place of goats etc. That is the fulfilment of that law, I will explain why.

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. " (Matthew 5:17). <<< what did Christ fulfil?, he didnt fulfil all laws, he only fulfiled a particular law, thats what the verse 17 and 18 is saying.

"And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me. " (Luke 24:44). << saying same thing, He came to fulfil the sacrificial laws by sacrificing himself. Lets go further.

"For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. " (Matthew 5:18). << this is a different statement entirely, all has not been fulfilled until the second coming when the laws shall be written in our inward part, there will be nothing like sin anymore, the verse 17 says he came to fulfill the law, which means his coming has fulfilled a particurlar law. The verse 18 says the law shall not pass until heaven and earth pass away and all be fulfilled, all has not been fulfilled yet, so which law do you think Christ came to fulfil?. Dont you see those verses are talking about different laws? The verse 19 is talking about the moral laws, it explains it all.

Will I then be right to say Christians are still under the sacrificial laws since christ didn't fulfill all? look at those verses carefully

Christ says not one jot will pass away until all is fulfiled, so why is the sacrificial law passing away since according to you christ didn't fulfill all but only a part?
Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by noblefada: 10:09am On Dec 21, 2013
Smh, New wine in old wine bottles! @op u´ve no idea of what your saying. Pls just read Galatians 3, 4, 5 & 6.
It's still beats me, the main teaching of Paul in all his epistles is still not understood by the church. What a pity just smh
Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by spencerwilliams(m): 11:36am On Dec 21, 2013
People kip on sayin we ar unda grace nd nt unda d law,agreed but in terms of justification,we ar nt 2 b dependent on observin d law 2 b justified,but dat does nt mean d law is totaly abolished lets see wat d bible said in romans3:31 it says do we nulify d law becos of grace,in oda words do we forget about d law becos Jesus has brought grace,nd wat was d answer it say no rather we establish we uphold d law.d bible say we ar nt decleared righteous by observing d law,why,becos righteousnes is a gift.Now lets see wat galatians3:10 says from NIV bible:it says all who RELY on observing d law are unda a curse,now i want us 2 luk at d word RELY it means 2 b dependent,to put confident in sometin,dat was why Jesus neva told nicodemus dat he should nt observ d law but he told him dat he needed 2 b born again in oda 2 b justified in d sight of God becos he could nt be justified by observing d law,in oda words if nicodemus could hv said i'm nt interested in bein born again it means he has now relyin on his own works(observin d law) 4 justification,nd dat was d kind of situation Galatians3:10 was talkin about wen it say All Who RELY on observin d law ar unda a curse.So d law was nt totaly abolished thank u.
Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by Goshen360(m): 12:42pm On Dec 21, 2013
Interesting! This one no be jokes o. grin
Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by MEILYN(m): 12:55pm On Dec 21, 2013
haibe:

Will I then be right to say Christians are still under the sacrificial laws since christ didn't fulfill all? look at those verses carefully

Christ says not one jot will pass away until all is fulfiled, so why is the sacrificial law passing away since according to you christ didn't fulfill all but only a part?
You are not understanding me thats why u are not getting the full picture, now let me keep it simple and short, i typed something long earlier but my phone went off so i lost it all.

Christ said it him self, he said the sacrificial laws are no more, but no where did Christ tell us to stop keeping the commandments that is the moral laws.

"Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me: In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure." (Hebrews 10:5-6)<<when Christ came into the world, he told the people to stop the sacrificial laws, Christ said it him self, so your question is void, Christ abolished this law. See you think Christ died so you could sin? Thats a lie, Christ died for forgiveness of sins.

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9).<<< that is why Jesus died, so you can ask for forgiveness with your mouth and not with sacrificing goats e.t.c anytime you break the law.

Now what is sin?

"Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law." (1 John 3:4)<< sin is the trangression of the law, so why did Christ die? So that in keeping the laws, anybody who goes astray can ask for forgiveness with the mouth and not with sacrifices.

What you are trying to say is, the death of Christ is worthless since all has not been fulfilled, but what you dont know is, christ only fulfilled the sacrificial laws with his blood. The law will be abolished but not now, it is when christ comes the second time, then the laws will be put in our inward parts.

Secondly, without the law, there is no sin, and without sin there is no hell / judgment. So everybody will goto heaven right? Is that what you mean? Since God died for their sin?.

Now look at this statement from Paul, is Paul contradicting himself?

"What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?" (Romans 6:1).
"God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?" (Romans 6:2).<<Should we continue to break the law since we can now ask for forgiveness with the mouth? God forbid, how shall we break the law no more when we still commit sin?.

You guys should really read your bible in an unbiased way. Christ fulfilled the sacrificial laws with his death, but he never abolished the law of moses, what he did was to magnify it, modify it. He taught the law, why will he teach the law when he knows it will be abolished?. Simple as that.
Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by MEILYN(m): 1:01pm On Dec 21, 2013
How did he magnify and correct the law of moses?

"Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. " (Matthew 5:38-39).<< this is how christ modified the law. He never abolished it. Paul was talking about sacrificial laws, when you read the bible precept upon precept thats when you will understand the bible. The book of Hebrew exactly tells us why Christ died, now added up with what Paul wrote, you will get the picture.

2 Likes

Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by MEILYN(m): 1:05pm On Dec 21, 2013
noblefada: Smh, New wine in old wine bottles! @op u´ve no idea of what your saying. Pls just read Galatians 3, 4, 5 & 6.
It's still beats me, the main teaching of Paul in all his epistles is still not understood by the church. What a pity just smh
yea, and i can see you have the full idea. Your explanation is the best so far. grin
Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by Goshen360(m): 1:08pm On Dec 21, 2013
@ Meilyn,

You dey fall hands. Shey you know? grin
Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by haibe(m): 1:12pm On Dec 21, 2013
MEILYN: You are not understanding me thats why u are not getting the full picture, now let me keep it simple and short, i typed something long earlier but my phone went off so i lost it all.

Christ said it him self, he said the sacrificial laws are no more, but no where did Christ tell us to stop keeping the commandments that is the moral laws.

"Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me: In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure." (Hebrews 10:5-6)<<when Christ came into the world, he told the people to stop the sacrificial laws, Christ said it him self, so your question is void, Christ abolished this law. See you think Christ died so you could sin? Thats a lie, Christ died for forgiveness of sins.

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9).<<< that is why Jesus died, so you can ask for forgiveness with your mouth and not with sacrificing goats e.t.c anytime you break the law.

Now what is sin?

"Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law." (1 John 3:4)<< sin is the trangression of the law, so why did Christ die? So that in keeping the laws, anybody who goes astray can ask for forgiveness with the mouth and not with sacrifices.

What you are trying to say is, the death of Christ is worthless since all has not been fulfilled, but what you dont know is, christ only fulfilled the sacrificial laws with his blood. The law will be abolished but not now, it is when christ comes the second time, then the laws will be put in our inward parts.

Secondly, without the law, there is no sin, and without sin there is no hell / judgment. So everybody will goto heaven right? Is that what you mean? Since God died for their sin?.

Now look at this statement from Paul, is Paul contradicting himself?

"God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?" (Romans 6:2).<<Should we continue to break the law since we can now ask for forgiveness with the mouth? God forbid, how shall we break the law no more when we still commit sin?.

You guys should really read your bible in an unbiased way. Christ fulfilled the sacrificial laws with his death, but he never abolished the law of moses, what he did was to magnify it, modify it. He taught the law, why will he teach the law when he knows it will be abolished?. Simple as that.

Take this chapter as a bible study today, I will come and clearify things later, I am busy now.

And certain men which came down from Judaea
taught the brethren, and said , Except ye be
circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot
be saved.
2 When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small
dissension and disputation with them, they
determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain
other of them, should go up to Jerusalem unto the
apostles and elders about this question.
3 And being brought on their way by the church, they
passed through Phenice and Samaria, declaring the
conversion of the Gentiles: and they caused great
joy unto all the brethren.
4 And when they were come to Jerusalem, they were
received of the church, and of the apostles and
elders, and they declared all things that God had
done with them.
5 But there rose up certain of the sect of the
Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was
needful to circumcise them, and to command them
to keep the law of Moses.
6 And the apostles and elders came together for to
consider of this matter.
7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter
rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye
know how that a good while ago God made choice
among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should
hear the word of the gospel, and believe.
8 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them
witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did
unto us;
9 And put no difference between us and them,
purifying their hearts by faith.
10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke
upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our
fathers nor we were able to bear?
11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord
Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.
12 Then all the multitude kept silence, and gave
audience to Barnabas and Paul, declaring what
miracles and wonders God had wrought among the
Gentiles by them.
13 And after they had held their peace, James
answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto
me:
14 Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit
the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his
name.
15 And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it
is written,
16 After this I will return, and will build again the
tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will
build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:
17 That the residue of men might seek after the Lord,
and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called,
saith the Lord, who doeth all these things.
18 Known unto God are all his works from the
beginning of the world.
19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not
them, which from among the Gentiles are turned
to God:
20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain
from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and
from things strangled, and from blood.
21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that
preach him, being read in the synagogues every
sabbath day.
22 Then pleased it the apostles and elders, with the
whole church, to send chosen men of their own
company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas;
namely, Judas surnamed Barsabas, and Silas, chief
men among the brethren:
23 And they wrote letters by them after this manner;
The apostles and elders and brethren send
greeting unto the brethren which are of the
Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia:
24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which
went out from us have troubled you with words,
subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be
circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no
such commandment:
25 It seemed good unto us, being assembled with one
accord, to send chosen men unto you with our
beloved Barnabas and Paul,
26 Men that have hazarded their lives for the name of
our Lord Jesus Christ.
27 We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who shall
also tell you the same things by mouth.
28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to
lay upon you no greater burden than these
necessary things;
29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and
from blood, and from things strangled, and from
fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye
shall do well. Fare ye well.
Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by MEILYN(m): 1:28pm On Dec 21, 2013
haibe:

I don't think they did after christ died, read Acts 15.

The concept of faith does not nullify the law as such since we are said to fulfil the law by love. So paul hasn't contradicted all he has said in several passages here.
you are wronged. They kept the law. Do you even read the bible?

"Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law." (Romans 3:31)<< this verse tells you they kept the laws.

"Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." (Philippians 2:12).<<they kept the laws.

"Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works." (James 2:18). << they kept the laws, you do err.

What does love mean? You think love is an emotion?

"For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous." (1 John 5:3).

"But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him." (1 John 2:5). <<< yea, that is love. The love of God is keeping His commandments. Anything you say goes back to the law.
Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by Nobody: 2:00pm On Dec 21, 2013
Interesting OP..Good job@ Meilyn..Will contribute shortly.

1 Like

Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by MEILYN(m): 2:06pm On Dec 21, 2013
haaaaa. You are still supporting my point. When you are born, you dont jump from milk to meat, you have to start from milk. Thats what that verse is saying.

"For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;" (Acts 15:28).<<< there are necessary laws you must keep you know?.

Are these not laws? They kept the law my friend. its not about giving out verses, its about, understanding them.

"That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well." (Acts 15:29).

The pharisees were telling them to keep all laws including sacrificial laws, this Paul rebuked and told them the laws to begin with. The gentiles that is, the Israelites were still keeping the law as it was modified by Christ. You need to understand scriptures bro.

1 Like

Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by MEILYN(m): 2:14pm On Dec 21, 2013
Goshen360: @ Meilyn,

You dey fall hands. Shey you know? grin
this right here is the word bro... Let me just give you a verse.

"Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. " (Matthew 5:19). << it is as simple as that. The law still stands bro. The sacrificial laws have been done with. But the modified moral laws are still intact.
Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by haibe(m): 2:26pm On Dec 21, 2013
MEILYN: you are wronged. They kept the law. Do you even read the bible?

"Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law." (Romans 3:31)<< this verse tells you they kept the laws.

I have told you the law is established by operating in love.

"Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." (Philippians 2:12).<<they kept the laws.

"Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works." (James 2:18). << they kept the laws, you do err.

You do err, works here have nothing to do with law but good deeds, read the preceding verses to understand the context.
The apostles did not support keeping the mosaic law, read Acts 15 which I quoted above

What does love mean? You think love is an emotion?

"For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous." (1 John 5:3).

"But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him." (1 John 2:5). <<< yea, that is love. The love of God is keeping His commandments.

And what is this commandment?

A new commandment I give unto you , That ye love
one another; as I have loved you, that ye also
love one another.(John 13:34)

Also commandments are not necessarily mosaic laws, they could be spiritual instructions
Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by haibe(m): 2:32pm On Dec 21, 2013
MEILYN: haaaaa. You are still supporting my point. When you are born, you dont jump from milk to meat, you have to start from milk. Thats what that verse is saying.

"For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;" (Acts 15:28).<<< there are necessary laws you must keep you know?.

Are these not laws? They kept the law my friend. its not about giving out verses, its about, understanding them.

"That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well." (Acts 15:29).

The pharisees were telling them to keep all laws including sacrificial laws, this Paul rebuked and told them the laws to begin with. The gentiles that is, the Israelites were still keeping the law as it was modified by Christ. You need to understand scriptures bro.

We are talking of the mosaic law here, not spiritual instructions.

Did you notice they admitted they could not bear the mosaic law too and you think they were under it after they themselves couldn't keep it? smh!
Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by spencerwilliams(m): 2:38pm On Dec 21, 2013
Nice Job OP,more grace on u.Remain blesed in JESUS NAME.AMEN

1 Like

Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by haibe(m): 2:41pm On Dec 21, 2013
MEILYN: this right here is the word bro... Let me just give you a verse.

"Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. " (Matthew 5:19). << it is as simple as that. The law still stands bro. The sacrificial laws have been done with. But the modified moral laws are still intact.

Nah, read the preceding verses, also at the time Jesus said this, the mosaic law was still in action.

Christ fulfilled the law as a whole, not just sacrificial laws. If he did not fulfill all, then you are still under the sacrificial laws.
Re: we are no longer under law but grace, but you do err christians. by haibe(m): 2:53pm On Dec 21, 2013
Galatians 4:4-7
New International Version (NIV)

4 But when the set time had fully come, God sent
his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, 5 to
redeem those under the law, that we might
receive adoption to sonship. [ a ] 6 Because you are
his sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our
hearts, the Spirit who calls out, “Abba , [ b ]
Father.” 7 So you are no longer a slave, but God’s
child; and since you are his child, God has made
you also an heir.

No Christian is a slave to the law, we are now heirs with christ.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Are Black Africans The Descendants Of Ham? / When A Christian Person Claims That Islam Spread By Sword.... / How Can I Read The Bible Well?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 160
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.