Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,352 members, 7,839,626 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 03:41 AM

Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! (1525 Views)

"Ethnic Cleansing" At Nigeria Customs? - By Mefor / Ethnic Cleansing: NIMASA DG, Baba Jauro Sacks 200 South- South/ South-east NIMAS / This guy Wants Sectarian Killings And Ethnic Cleansing Of All Igbos 4 Voting GMB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by Nobody: 3:06pm On Dec 24, 2013
New evidence is emerging of alleged ethnic killings committed during more than a week of fighting in South Sudan.

The violence follows a power struggle between President Salva Kiir, a Dinka, and his Nuer ex-deputy Riek Machar.

A reporter in the capital, Juba, quoted witnesses as saying more than 200 people, mostly ethnic Nuers, had been shot by security forces.

The UN says it has discovered a mass grave in Bentiu in the oil-rich Unity State, containing about 75 bodies.

"There are reportedly at least two other mass graves in Juba," UN human rights chief Navi Pillay said in a statement.

A spokeswoman for the Geneva-based human rights office told the BBC the ethnicity of those killed in Bentiu was unclear - but there are reports they are ethnic Dinkas.

Ravina Shamdasani said the other two reported mass graves were in Jebel-Kujur and Newside, near Eden.

She said it was not clear who was responsible for the killings.

Personal rivalry

The fighting first erupted in Juba last week and has spread throughout South Sudan, with rebels supporting Mr Machar seizing the major towns of Bor and Bentiu, north of the capital.

James Copnall explains the fighting in 60 seconds

Bentiu is the capital of the oil-producing Unity State.

Mr Kiir has accused Mr Machar, whom he sacked in July, of plotting a coup. Mr Machar denies he is trying to seize power, while the government has denied it is behind any ethnic violence.

The fear is that the personal rivalry between the former allies will spark a full-scale conflict between the Nuer and Dinka groups.

Hannah McNeish, a journalist in Juba, told the BBC that she had interviewed a man called Simon, living at a UN camp, who said he was shot four times but managed to survive a mass killing by hiding under dead bodies.

"He tells of being rounded up with about 250 other men, driven to a police station in one of Juba's busiest suburbs. He describes an ordeal whereby over the course of two days, forces outside the windows fired into this room, killing all but 12 men," she said.

McNeish said this account had been corroborated by two other survivors at the camp.

Another man interviewed at the UN base in Juba reported that Dinka gunmen were shooting people in Nuer districts who did not speak the Dinka language.

UN humanitarian co-ordinator Toby Lanzer, who was in Bor over the weekend, told the BBC he had witnessed "some of the most horrible things that one can imagine".

The claims of atrocities have not been independently verified.

'Face the consequences'

The official death toll stands at 500, but aid agencies say the true figure is likely to be much higher.

There has also been fighting in Upper Nile State but few details have emerged.

Another 81,000 people have been displaced, the UN's humanitarian agency says, with about half seeking shelter at UN bases.

It warned many more people could be affected in more remote areas.

The UN has 7,000 soldiers deployed in South Sudan, but on Monday, Secretary General Ban Ki-moon urged the Security Council to reassign another 5,500 troops from UN missions in other African countries, including Liberia and the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Ban: "The world is watching all sides in South Sudan"

He also asked for hundreds more police, three attack helicopters, three transport helicopters and one military transport plane.

He has said all reports of human rights violations and crimes against humanity will be investigated and those responsible held accountable.

Two Indian peacekeepers were killed last week in a rebel raid on a UN compound.

President Kiir has said he is willing to hold talks with Mr Machar - and that a delegation of East African foreign ministers had offered to mediate - but that his former deputy would have to come to the table without any conditions.

Mr Machar told Reuters news agency that he was open to dialogue if his political allies were released from detention.

Sudan suffered a 22-year civil war that left more than a million people dead before the South became independent in 2011.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-25502457
Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by Ogbonaikenna(m): 3:08pm On Dec 24, 2013
Parasite. Prepare to answer your papa name. Idio.t

3 Likes

Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by Nobody: 3:09pm On Dec 24, 2013
Hmmm
Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by MagicBishop: 3:10pm On Dec 24, 2013
Han't there been systematic ethnic cleansing going on since 1960?

5 Likes

Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by jjcbuthot: 3:14pm On Dec 24, 2013
Interesting - they were hiding behind religion to break away from the formal Sudan.

Now it is ethnicity war... within the so called "xtian south" of Sudan.

Igbos should learn from this before it is too late.

3 Likes

Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by MagicBishop: 3:18pm On Dec 24, 2013
jjcbuthot: Interesting - they were hiding behind religion to break away from the formal Sudan.

The same christian south of Sudan that was ravaged by Arab north for over a thousand years does not need you to tell them were their main antagonist and enemies are.

If you feel this is an exclusively "christian " problem then please check out your arab masters in Syria behaving like the savages they are over which is the best interpretation of their terror manual.

4 Likes

Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by kettykin: 3:48pm On Dec 24, 2013
[size=16pt]The question Is : Is Nigeria another South Sudan in the making or is South Sudan another Nigeria in the Making[/size]
From BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-25502457
Sudan's arid north is mainly home to Arabic-speaking Muslims. But in South Sudan there is no dominant culture
The Dinkas and the Nuers are the largest of more than 200 ethnic groups, each with its own languages and traditional beliefs, alongside Christianity and Islam

from the posters post
ew evidence is emerging of alleged ethnic killings committed during more than a week of fighting in South Sudan.

The violence follows a power struggle between President Salva Kiir, a Dinka, and his Nuer ex-deputy Riek Machar

A reporter in the capital, Juba, quoted witnesses as saying more than 200 people, mostly ethnic Nuers, had been shot by security forces

My Analysis goes thus:
Nigeria and South Sudan actually have a lot in common , more than 200 ethnic groups , 2 or 3 dominant ethnic groups , Presence of oil in the country ,Diverse Ethnic and religious divisions

Like Nigeria Like South Sudan
The problem with South Sudan is the same Problem with Nigeria with more than 200 different Ethnic groups belonging to one country, if there is a miscalculation in the 2014 and 2015 conference and Elections Nigeria would end up worse than South Sudan . Nigeria as suggested by Ghadaffi should split along ethnic and Religious lines to ensure stability even if it means splitting into 10 countries averaging 20 Million people that would remain peaceful is very much better than a united country of 200 million people that will never know any peace and stability

A reflection of what has been happening recently in Nigeria where a corrupt ,power drunk, power hungry Olusegun Obasanjo has been going around trying to impose terminally sick and unwilling people as the country's president in total indifference with what is obtainable in mist civlized countries and writing subversive mails capable of threatening the over all peace and stability of a minority Presidency is worst than what is presently happening in South Sudan , this is the first miscalculation by south Sudan
Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by MagicBishop: 4:20pm On Dec 24, 2013
It will not happen in liberated Southern Nigeria unless Yorubas are allowed.
Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by DerideGull(m): 4:38pm On Dec 24, 2013
The Republic of South Sudan can burn to ashes, but I do not give a ratazz. However if Nigeria must disintegrate, which has been my profound wish, Republic of Igbo land remains nonnegotiable. This does not stop it from going into confederation with people of cultural affinity
Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by cjrane: 4:41pm On Dec 24, 2013
Better prepare for worse post 2015. I am taking my eye to count all these foreigners in PH. When it sets, none of them will escape.
Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by tpia5: 5:02pm On Dec 24, 2013
You for take your teeth count the foreigners.

2 Likes

Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by Kairoseki77: 5:15pm On Dec 24, 2013
DerideGull: The Republic of South Sudan can burn to ashes, but I do not give a ratazz. However if Nigeria must disintegrate, which has been my profound wish, Republic of Igbo land remains nonnegotiable. This does not stop it from going into confederation with people of cultural affinity

Landlocked?

2 Likes

Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by IdomaLikita: 6:29pm On Dec 24, 2013
DerideGull: The Republic of South Sudan can burn to ashes, but I do not give a ratazz. However if Nigeria must disintegrate, which has been my profound wish, Republic of Igbo land remains nonnegotiable. This does not stop it from going into confederation with people of cultural affinity

Are Sudanese not Africans? Does the Life of a Sudanese not worth the same as that of an Igbo man? Don't you have any atom of Compassion?? You are a War-Mongering Piece of HorseShit! An Old Fool! Egocentric, Selfish and Wicked! You care about Nothing But Yourself and thy Kin!
I have been monitoring your Posts for sometime and they are always filled with Hate!
Hate for Everybody!
Such a Wicked Old Fool!!!

11 Likes

Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by ba7man(m): 6:54pm On Dec 24, 2013
How can you say this?? Its so wrong.
Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by jmoore(m): 7:01pm On Dec 24, 2013
Keep on dreaming, Nigeria will never divide.

One Nigeria!!
Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by ImperialYoruba: 7:09pm On Dec 24, 2013
Why is there no war in Sudan? The South Sudanese agitated for independence to control their oil fields, they got it. Now they are killing one anothet. The lesson here is for Biafra, not Nigeria. You need Nigeria in order to have a secure home, Nigeria can do without you.
Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by ImperialYoruba: 7:18pm On Dec 24, 2013

You are not a skilled people in areas of diplomacy and tact, it is evident today as it has always been in your past political endeavors; you miscalculate risks. Currently, you are in least advantage amongst the cultures of Eastern Nigeria. Remember, political tussle is for territorial power, to have, hold and control a domain of power. Other cultures are consolidated in their home base, not Ibos. How then do you get an upper hand over Ijaw in politics? It seems the traditional Ibo majority is on paper only when it comes to Eastern region.

3 Likes

Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by fiizznation: 7:47pm On Dec 24, 2013
u r a very hopeless and useless old foool with a capital F for the above statement. They innocent children and woman that r killed in south sudan everyday, r they nt human beings who also hav dreams and ambitions? U r very wicked and hrtless and ur likes ll surely rot in HELL by God's grace •. And u guys ll still be wondering why r u hated in every corner of the world when u always breed hatred and wickedness in ur hrts.
Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by DerideGull(m): 8:03pm On Dec 24, 2013
Idoma Likita:

Are Sudanese not Africans? Does the Life of a Sudanese not worth the same as that of an Igbo man? Don't you have any atom of Compassion?? You are a War-Mongering Piece of HorseShit! An Old Fool! Egocentric, Selfish and Wicked! You care about Nothing But Yourself and thy Kin!
I have been monitoring your Posts for sometime and they are always filled with Hate!
Hate for Everybody!
Such a Wicked Old Fool!!!

I repeat, I do not give a ratazz if Republic of South Sudan burn to ashes. The citizens of Republic of South Africa can not have enough Nigerians and other Africans to kill. All I care about is Republic of Igbo land. If your idiocy does not allow you to perceive it correctly, I suggest you jump off the cliff.

1 Like

Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by jjcbuthot: 8:07pm On Dec 24, 2013
DerideGull:

I repeat, I do not give a ratazz if Republic of South Sudan burn to ashes. The citizens of Republic of South Africa can not have enough Nigerians and other Africans to kill. All I care about is Republic of Igbo land. If your idiocy does not allow you to perceive it correctly, I suggest you jump off the cliff.

The same way the rest of Nigeria will not give a damn if you decide to die of hunger again in millions.
Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by DerideGull(m): 8:07pm On Dec 24, 2013
ImperialYoruba:

You are not a skilled people in areas of diplomacy and tact, it is evident today as it has always been in your past political endeavors; you miscalculate risks. Currently, you are in least advantage amongst the cultures of Eastern Nigeria. Remember, political tussle is for territorial power, to have, hold and control a domain of power. Other cultures are consolidated in their home base, not Ibos. How then do you get an upper hand over Ijaw in politics? It seems the traditional Ibo majority is on paper only when it comes to Eastern region.

I have no use for silly diplomacy of yours. Those who played idiotic diplomacy in the face of aggression never lived to tell the story. Must I remind your hollow self that boundaries lines of Igbo land are not within your intellectual pedigree.
Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by IboKiller: 8:09pm On Dec 24, 2013
DerideGull:

You are a disturbed old f00l!
Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by DerideGull(m): 8:09pm On Dec 24, 2013
jjcbuthot:

The same way the rest of Nigeria will not give a damn if you decide to die of hunger again in millions.

I have never given a fig about Nigeria hence my incurable demand for disintegration. The last time to cross my mind is to regard you as a compatriot.
Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by DerideGull(m): 8:12pm On Dec 24, 2013
Ibo-Killer:

You are a disturbed old f00l!

I guess a deluded fiend such as you that has handle name, Ibo-killer, should have been sacrificed to gods of Igbo land, olodo.
Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by DerideGull(m): 8:16pm On Dec 24, 2013
fiizznation: u r a very hopeless and useless old foool with a capital F for the above statement. They innocent children and woman that r killed in south sudan everyday, r they nt human beings who also hav dreams and ambitions? U r very wicked and hrtless and ur likes ll surely rot in HELL by God's grace •. And u guys ll still be wondering why r u hated in every corner of the world when u always breed hatred and wickedness in ur hrts.

I guess you are more idiotic and foolish than your fore bearers and heroes who pathetically did the same to Biafrans. You are worthless as far as I am concerned.
Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by IboKiller: 8:18pm On Dec 24, 2013
DerideGull:

I guess a deluded fiend such as you that has handle name, Ibo-killer, should have been sacrificed to gods of Igbo land, olodo.

I am who I am. Go and die, old f00l.
Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by DerideGull(m): 8:27pm On Dec 24, 2013
Ibo-Killer:

I am who I am. Go and die, old f00l.

You can be what you thought you were. old drooling maggot. However your end appears sooner than you perceived, olodo.
Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by ImperialYoruba: 8:34pm On Dec 24, 2013
DerideGull:

You are correct in this convinction. You are an Igbo nationalist and your conscience should not be subjected to probity on South Sudan or anywhere else outside Igbo. I agree.
Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by MeAboki(m): 8:37pm On Dec 24, 2013
Hatred, greed, selfishness, money, diversity, foreign instigators = deadly recipe awaiting those who do not take heed.

1 Like

Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by ImperialYoruba: 8:40pm On Dec 24, 2013
DerideGull:

I have no use for silly diplomacy of yours. Those who played idiotic diplomacy in the face of aggression never lived to tell the story. Must I remind your hollow self that boundaries lines of Igbo land are not within your intellectual pedigree.

Do you care to explain how you intend to secure an equitable alliance in negotiations with those whose power in your region is consolidated around ethnic fronts and territorial ownership? You will end up with leftovers or be forced to exist as a landlocked and dependent economy.
Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by ba7man(m): 8:41pm On Dec 24, 2013
DerideGull:

You can be what you thought you were. old drooling maggot. However your end appears sooner than you perceived, olodo.
There's no insult or english that can refute the fact that you're wrong with your statement.

You seriously need to stop replying people, stay away from NL and spend time with your loved ones.
Re: Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! by Kponkwem(m): 8:56pm On Dec 24, 2013
jjcbuthot: Interesting - they were hiding behind religion to break away from the formal Sudan.

What about the yoruba? Btw there has always been ethnic cleansing in Nigeria since 1945, the hausa vs igbo, now with less Igbo in North they've turned against ethnic minority middle belt.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Will This Railway Carry Us Home? / I Killed Army Officers, Free My Men And I Will Bring Back Your Girls: Shekau. / APC Presidential Race: Atiku Dig In

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.