Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,298 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:27 AM

Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport (7551 Views)

INEC Office In Delta State Set Ablaze / Construction Of Seaport, Airport Begins At Lekki / Akwa Ibom State Set To Be The First Fully Developed State- Impressive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Nobody: 10:02am On Dec 25, 2013
Determined to remove Abia State  from its landlocked status  and enhance economic and commercial activities   the state government has concluded plans to build  its own  seaport.

The decision to build the seaport which  is to be located  at Obuaku in Ukwa West local  government is coming on the heels of government’s announcement that plans  are in top gear to  build an airport in the state.

Commissioner for information   and   strategy, Dr Eze Chikamnayo who disclosed this after the last state executive   council meeting in Umuahia  said the two projects would be executed  simultaneously.

The sea port which will be the first in the South East geopolitical zone would help importers  and exporter from  the   state carry out their business with more ease and  reduce the distance they have to travel to clear  their goods.

The  sea port he added would also create employment for the teeming unemployed youths in the state both skilled and unskilled.

Defending   the location of the seaport,   he said that  unlike Port Harcourt  Sea port which is about 10 miles from Port Harcourt City, the proposed Obuaku seaport is less than five miles to the Atlantic Ocean. 

The commissioner said that already   a committee has been set up to see to the development of  the seaport which will  see Governor Theodore Orji emerging as the first governor in the South East to build a sea port.

On the air port project, he said that   an appropriate site had been  acquired cutting across Ikwuano and Umuahia south local government areas covering an  area of 24 square miles.
www.leadership.ng/news/251213/abia-set-build-sea-port

3 Likes

Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Ngwakwe: 10:07am On Dec 25, 2013
The reporter should use maps to do the explanations.

However, if possible, then is far better than an Airport.
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by asha80(m): 10:07am On Dec 25, 2013
lipsrsealed undecided smiley
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Nobody: 10:10am On Dec 25, 2013
asha 80: lipsrsealed undecided smiley

Talk nau! grin
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by ckkris: 10:12am On Dec 25, 2013
The most unfortunate state in Nigeria. From Orji Uzor Kalu to Theodore Orji. Dem swear for them?

5 Likes

Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by asha80(m): 10:13am On Dec 25, 2013
ilugunboy:

Talk nau! grin
e get some kind things wey dey confusing to comment on unless someone shows me a map of that axis.

1 Like

Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Energito: 10:13am On Dec 25, 2013
customized13: Determined to remove Abia State  from its landlocked status  and enhance economic and commercial activities   the state government has concluded plans to build  its own  seaport.

The decision to build the seaport which  is to be located  at Obuaku in Ukwa West local  government is coming on the heels of government’s announcement that plans  are in top gear to  build an airport in the state.

Commissioner for information   and   strategy, Dr Eze Chikamnayo who disclosed this after the last state executive   council meeting in Umuahia  said the two projects would be executed  simultaneously.

The sea port which will be the first in the South East geopolitical zone would help importers  and exporter from  the   state carry out their business with more ease and  reduce the distance they have to travel to clear  their goods.

The  sea port he added would also create employment for the teeming unemployed youths in the state both skilled and unskilled.

Defending   the location of the seaport,   he said that  unlike Port Harcourt  Sea port which is about 10 miles from Port Harcourt City, the proposed Obuaku seaport is less than five miles to the Atlantic Ocean. 

The commissioner said that already   a committee has been set up to see to the development of  the seaport which will  see Governor Theodore Orji emerging as the first governor in the South East to build a sea port.

On the air port project, he said that   an appropriate site had been  acquired cutting across Ikwuano and Umuahia south local government areas covering an  area of 24 square miles.
good news
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Cuche: 10:14am On Dec 25, 2013
5miles from which of the Atlantic Ocean?

1 Like

Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Cuche: 10:14am On Dec 25, 2013
How many miles is Obuaku river through the stretch of Akwa-Ibom before the Ocean? I think it is typographical error on the part of the editors

1 Like

Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Nobody: 10:14am On Dec 25, 2013
ckkris: The most unfortunate state in Nigeria. From Orji Uzor Kalu to Theodore Orji. Dem swear for them?

that is from frying pan to fire.
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Energito: 10:14am On Dec 25, 2013
Ngwakwe: The reporter should use maps to do the explanations.

However, if possible, then is far better than an Airport.
two of them is good no one is better than others.
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by cashkid18(m): 10:24am On Dec 25, 2013
since its frm T.O lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by henrychubayo: 10:42am On Dec 25, 2013
Very good. But they should build a Seaport first and a large one, with standard facilities. So unfortunate we haven't had a sea port in East till now. Work should start immediately Biko Nu.
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Nobody: 10:49am On Dec 25, 2013
I couldn't get the exact location of obuaku, but these are some locations in ukwa west LGA, its quite close to Port harcourt, my problem is if TA can deliver.

1 Like

Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Nobody: 10:50am On Dec 25, 2013
This news should be taken seriously at your own peril!

1 Like

Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by phantom(m): 11:27am On Dec 25, 2013
useless man! The roads in aba are death traps and he wants to do a seaport.what is the states current internally generated revenue? Clowns!
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Akpaife(m): 11:40am On Dec 25, 2013
ckkris: The most unfortunate state in Nigeria. From Orji Uzor Kalu to Theodore Orji. Dem swear for them?

Lierrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Go n fine sometin doing
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by pluto04(m): 11:41am On Dec 25, 2013
I don't believe that the government said that. How do you build a sea port in a state without sea boarder? By building the sea first? tongue

3 Likes

Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by IGBOSON1: 12:14pm On Dec 25, 2013
Cuche: 5miles from which of the Atlantic Ocean?

^^^You know, i found myself asking the exact same question! undecided

Maybe a google earth screen-shot could help explain things further.
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Ngwakwe: 12:26pm On Dec 25, 2013
The quote as regarding the distance to Atlantic Ocean is correct.

The question is the route connecting the Abia State section of Imo River delta to Atlantic.

IGBO-SON:

^^^You know, i found myself asking the exact same question! undecided

Maybe a google earth screen-shot could help explain things further.
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Kponkwem(m): 12:38pm On Dec 25, 2013
Igbo haters need not shiver 'cos the project is still in the works. However, even if T.A. doesn't deliver, which I know he won't, this is a masterstroke.

Akwa Ibom is building the first Eastern deep sea port at Ibaka, which is just 30 mins drive from Azumini in Abia State. So far Eastern ports in PH, Onne and Calabar are not with direct sea access and are mainly for oil, and light goods barges.

All T.A. Orji need to do is to open up Obuaku as a barge hub for Ibaka or enter another mou with Akpabio as he did on the Aba-Uyo expressway, to build monorail for cargo goods direct to Aba dry port from the Ibaka sea port. The dry port has been stalled due to inadequate FG incentive to private sector investors.

If this is not done I'm afraid the project may be higher than the state purse to begin dredging. Remember Calabar port is yet to be dredged over 10 years after it free trade zone and Tinapa.

1 Like

Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by asha80(m): 12:42pm On Dec 25, 2013
Kponkwem: Igbo haters need not shiver 'cos the project is still in the works. However, even if T.A. doesn't deliver, which I know he won't, this is a masterstroke.

Akwa Ibom is building the first Eastern deep sea port at Ibaka, which is just 30 mins drive from Azumini in Abia State. So far Eastern ports in PH, Onne and Calabar are not with direct sea access and are mainly for oil, and light goods barges.

All T.A. Orji need to do is to open up Obuaku as a barge hub for Ibaka or enter another mou with Akpabio as he did on the Aba-Uyo expressway, to build monorail for cargo goods direct to Aba dry port from the Ibaka sea port. The dry port has been stalled due to inadequate FG incentive to private sector investors.

If this is not done I'm afraid the project may be higher than the state purse to begin dredging. Remember Calabar port is yet to be dredged over 10 years after it free trade zone and Tinapa.
about that mou on aba uyo highway nothing is being done on the abia section while the akwa ibom section is getting completed
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Abagworo(m): 1:25pm On Dec 25, 2013
customized13: I couldn't get the exact location of obuaku, but these are some locations in ukwa west LGA, its quite close to Port harcourt, my problem is if TA can deliver.

Azumini is closer to ocean than Port-Harcourt. Aba and Imo Rivers meet at Azumini. To build a seaport there is impossible for Abia with their meagre resources. To dredge Imo River to contain sizeable vessels will gulp billions of Dollars and needs assistance of both FG, Rivers and Akwa-Ibom States.
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by kubi240: 4:03pm On Dec 25, 2013
ler every state has its airport and seaport the economy must grow
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by fdigital(m): 7:56pm On Dec 25, 2013
This is a good move from the abia state govt but I doubt if he can actualize this with the ney so big revenue the state generates. Is high time the ss/sE leaders braise up, balance and demonopolize the econmic sabotage that have been going on in the west(lagos). And one more attribute the abia state govt needs to record in his archieves for its populace is Aba roads with a drainage system, roads in aba main town are terribly in a bad state.
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Nobody: 8:40pm On Dec 25, 2013
TA Orji is arranging his retirement fund grin

1 Like

Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by meforyou1(m): 8:52pm On Dec 25, 2013
How do u build seaport in a state where there is no sea
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by investnow2013: 9:04pm On Dec 25, 2013
customized13: Determined to remove Abia State  from its landlocked status  and enhance economic and commercial activities   the state government has concluded plans to build  its own  seaport.

I don't know Why important projects in The East are not started early enough,but left until very late when The Governor is about to leave.If Governor Orji is really serious about development of This blessed State,He should have mobilize funds internally to develop Aba into a great City!.He should have started The Airport & also The Seaport.
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Ngwakwe: 9:12pm On Dec 25, 2013
Is there any sea in Rivers State?

I assume you were asking if there is a large water body in Abia State, then Yes. There are Imo River, Aba River and Azumini River, some of which have routes/access to Atlantic Ocean.

me_for_you: How do u build seaport in a state where there is no sea

1 Like

Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Obiagu1(m): 9:26pm On Dec 25, 2013
This is silly.
Why not build rail line from Ibaka to Aba? How many kilometers is that?

It will be much more cheaper to build a rail line from Ibaka to Aba and a dry port than to build a river port that will eventually be hauling only barges from the same Ibaka to Aba.

Maybe I'm wrong. River port might be cheaper after all.

1 Like

Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by emmatok(m): 9:36pm On Dec 25, 2013
Ngwakwe: Is there any sea in Rivers State?

I assume you were asking if there is a large water body in Abia State, then Yes. There are Imo River, Aba River and Azumini River, some of which have routes/access to Atlantic Ocean.

Yes Rivers State got access to the sea, but not Abia.
What Abia is building is riverport and not seaport.

Thesame noise was made about Anambra seaport, until they realized Anambra can only have riverport.
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Nobody: 1:26am On Dec 26, 2013
I'm really surprised that people are taking this seriously. It's Theodore Orji, for God's sakes.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Return Jonathan Or Forget One Nigeria – Ijaw People / Onnoghen’s Trial Resumes Today / Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.