Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,369 members, 7,819,328 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport (7572 Views)

INEC Office In Delta State Set Ablaze / Construction Of Seaport, Airport Begins At Lekki / Akwa Ibom State Set To Be The First Fully Developed State- Impressive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Bigflamie(m): 8:13am On Dec 26, 2013
This is a campaign strategy for another criminal like him to suck the Abians dry again. God help us from these heartless mofos.
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Ngwakwe: 8:28am On Dec 26, 2013
I think you need a short tutorial. There are various names for large body of waters depending on the size, climatic behaviour, depth, source, content etc.

Sea is just a large body of flowing SALT waters while River is a large body of flowing FRESH waters, we have Ocean, lakes, ponds, streams etc - all are body of waters with differences.

Now, to your question, there is no large body of Salt water in Rivers State rather body of Fresh waters and flowing (few distance) into the Atlantic Ocean.

I believe this helps you.

emmatok:

Yes Rivers State got access to the sea, but not Abia.
What Abia is building is riverport and not seaport.

Thesame noise was made about Anambra seaport, until they realized Anambra can only have riverport.

2 Likes

Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Nobody: 9:08am On Dec 26, 2013
emmatok:

Yes Rivers State got access to the sea, but not Abia.
What Abia is building is riverport and not seaport.

Thesame noise was made about Anambra seaport, until they realized Anambra can only have riverport.
abia is much more closer 2 atlantic ocean than anambra.

Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by passion007: 9:09am On Dec 26, 2013
I believe the place Obuaku is a variant of Oboakpu.
The Imo river traverses Oboakpu.
For comparison, look at the tributary that's Onne--I think this project is do-able. Except T A Orji hasn't much history of doing.

Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by ak47mann(m): 9:37am On Dec 26, 2013
so the land lock thing is really past government lack of interest in dredging SE river,once the project is actualized,umuofe will be disappointed again cool

4 Likes

Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by OneNaira6: 9:49am On Dec 26, 2013
This Is Coming From Orji, Abians Should Not Hold Their Breath. It's A Good Idea But Orji Would Never Actualize It.
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by emmatok(m): 10:45am On Dec 26, 2013
Ngwakwe: I think you need a short tutorial. There are various names for large body of waters depending on the size, climatic behaviour, depth, source, content etc.

Sea is just a large body of flowing SALT waters while River is a large body of flowing FRESH waters, we have Ocean, lakes, ponds, streams etc - all are body of waters with differences.

Now, to your question, there is no large body of Salt water in Rivers State rather body of Fresh waters and flowing (few distance) into the Atlantic Ocean.

I believe this helps you.

The issues here is not just large water bodies, but access to the coast.

Rivers is a coastal state, Abia is not.

Imagine Abia and Rivers in two different countries.

Can Abia dredge through another country to get a sea/riverport?
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by IGBOSON1: 11:01am On Dec 26, 2013
emmatok:

^^^Why not if not? It's not like the countries concerned would be enemies? Besides, a precedence has already been set with the Suez canal that's a man-made international shipping lane. Of course such a situation would be done on a multi-lateral agreement basis between the nations of Alaigbo, Efik/Ibibio/Annang, and Niger-Delta......that's in the event that they don't form a confederation of independent nations.
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Onlytruth(m): 5:53pm On Dec 26, 2013
I like this idea even if TA Orji is not credible enough to opine it. In fact I have so much faith in Abia state, and I am a STRONG believer that ALL Igbo states should have DIRECT access to the outside world (America, Asia, Europe etc) whether by water or air.
This will strengthen our negotiated position in case Nigeria splits.
So whoever brought up this idea should be patted on the back, not ridiculed.
I would borrow for such a project than what others have borrowed for in SE.
This is my idea of a capital project that will tranform the economy of Abia and environs.
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Nobody: 6:14pm On Dec 26, 2013
Onlytruth: I like this idea even if TA Orji is not credible enough to opine it. In fact I have so much faith in Abia state, and I am a STRONG believer that ALL Igbo states should have DIRECT access to the outside world (America, Asia, Europe etc) whether by water or air.
This is my idea of a capital project that will tranform the economy of Abia and environs.
someone is making sense. My problem is just they TA orji guy, If he can achieve this.
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Ngwakwe: 6:24pm On Dec 26, 2013
Let me bring you up to speed, there are UN laws governing coastal lines. Abia State has two or three rivers that empties themselves into the Atlantic Ocean few miles from Rivers State.

By UN law governing coastal waters, Rivers State cannot and will never block Abia State assess to the Atlantic Ocean through these rivers.

6. The system of straight baselines may not be applied by a State in such a manner as to cut off the territorial sea of another State from the high seas or an exclusive economic zone.

www.un.org/depts/los/convention_agreements/texts/unclos/part2.htm

emmatok:

Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by investnow2013: 9:02pm On Dec 26, 2013
Onlytruth: I like this idea even if TA Orji is not credible enough to opine it. In fact I have so much faith in Abia state, and I am a STRONG believer that ALL Igbo states should have DIRECT access to the outside world (America, Asia, Europe etc) whether by water or air.
It is a good idea to have a seaport in Abia-state,but THE PROBLEM IS THE MAN PROPOSING IT.NO HISTORY OF DELIVERING ON BIG! BIG! CAPITAL INTENSIVE & ECONOMIC TRANSFORMING PROJECT LIKE THIS!.DO ORJI REALLY MEAN THIS OR IS HE UP TO SOMETHING?
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by rafindo(m): 9:38pm On Dec 26, 2013
invest-now2013:
It is a good idea to have a seaport in Abia-state,but THE PROBLEM IS THE MAN PROPOSING IT.NO HISTORY OF DELIVERING ON BIG! BIG! CAPITAL INTENSIVE & ECONOMIC TRANSFORMING PROJECT LIKE THIS!.DO ORJI REALLY MEAN THIS OR IS HE UP TO SOMETHING?
.pls correct urself inland port not seaport.i will only believe the reality of this project if it is a ppp agreement or FDBOM template.if not mma2 mismanagement wil be a childs play.GOD bless the East.
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Nobody: 9:45pm On Dec 26, 2013
rafindo: .pls correct urself inland port not seaport.i will only believe the reality of this project if it is a ppp agreement or FDBOM template.if not mma2 mismanagement wil be a childs play.GOD bless the East.
abia is quite close to atlantic ocean, its a seaport, and beside it a PPP project.
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by rafindo(m): 10:10pm On Dec 26, 2013
customized13: abia is quite close to atlantic ocean, its a seaport, and beside it a PPP project.
.geographicaly abia has no coastal access to the ocean.i dont know how the avowal 'sea' is feasible in the geography of the area.khana l.g.a and the island lga of opobo/nkoro and ikot abasi blocks the communities of akwete and azumiri from the continental shelf.imo river is only empting into the ocean.
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by obitwo: 10:15pm On Dec 26, 2013
The guy has not built roads within his territory, it is a seaport outside his domain that he wants to build

These people are a bunch of clowns I swear

1 Like

Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Ngwakwe: 10:41pm On Dec 26, 2013
Abia State will dredge the river five miles to Atlantic Ocean simple.

UN law of the Sea guiding Coastal Access

6. The system of straight baselines may not be applied by a State in such a manner as to cut off the territorial sea of another State from the high seas or an exclusive economic zone.

rafindo: .geographicaly abia has no coastal access to the ocean.i dont know how the avowal 'sea' is feasible in the geography of the area.khana l.g.a and the island lga of opobo/nkoro and ikot abasi blocks the communities of akwete and azumiri from the continental shelf.imo river is only empting into the ocean.

1 Like

Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by emmatok(m): 10:37am On Dec 27, 2013
Ngwakwe: Abia State will dredge the river five miles to Atlantic Ocean simple.

UN law of the Sea guiding Coastal Access

You still don't get it, even if you dredge the Imo twenty times. The port will be on the Imo river, it is still a riverport not a seaport.

E.g the Lagos lagoons is linked to the sea.
But any port built on the Lagoon is not a seaport.

1 Like

Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Ngwakwe: 7:45pm On Dec 27, 2013
emmatok:

You still don't get it, even if you dredge the Imo twenty times. The port will be on the Imo river, it is still a riverport not a seaport.

What is the difference between Seaport and your so-called Riverport?

What do you call Abonnema port that is three to four miles to Atlantic Ocean?

An inland port (riverport) with seaport function
Port of Montreal, Canada's second busiest port

See the snapshot below

2 Likes

Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Nobody: 8:14pm On Dec 27, 2013
emmatok:

I don't think you like the idea of the seaport
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Nobody: 9:07pm On Dec 27, 2013
customized13: I don't think you like the idea of the seaport

why would he like it when it develops the east and denies the west of valuable duty on imports/exports
and other associated economic activities
the guy is defending his interests grin

1 Like

Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Nobody: 9:07pm On Dec 27, 2013
btw great idea!
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by emmatok(m): 9:27pm On Dec 27, 2013
Ngwakwe:

What is the difference between Seaport and your so-called Riverport?

What do you call Abonnema port that is three to four miles to Atlantic Ocean?

An inland port (riverport) with seaport function
Port of Montreal, Canada's second busiest port

See the snapshot below

I am glad you called the Port of Montreal inland port(riverport).

That's the point I have been making since.
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by emmatok(m): 9:37pm On Dec 27, 2013
customized13: I don't think you like the idea of the seaport

I have no problem with seaports, with the terms used to describe this particular port.

Thair are difference btw lake, rivers and oceans.
Ibeka is having a seaport and the name suites it.
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Nobody: 9:53pm On Dec 27, 2013
emmatok:

I have no problem with seaports, with the terms used to describe this particular port.

Thair are difference btw lake, rivers and oceans.
Ibeka is having a seaport and the name suites it.

is the water at onne port harcourt "seaport" saltwater?
you dodged this question
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Nobody: 11:11pm On Dec 27, 2013
re@lchange:

why would he like it when it develops the east and denies the west of valuable duty on imports/exports
and other associated economic activities
the guy is defending his interests grin
is onne seaport at the bank of the ocean? Just stop hating
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by citizenY(m): 12:21am On Dec 28, 2013
invest-now2013:

The former governor, OUK, is a major player in the maritime industry and maybe he did not see the prospects. We need to be careful.

A project like this this is no piece of cake and the cost involved may demand a higher cost in terms of freight, time, bureaucracy and labour input when compared to a rail line , road haulage or nearby port.

These are not political decisions. Let us avoid sentiments and make rational decisions. A rail line from a nearby port, supported by an inland port will certainly cost less.
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Southborn: 8:56am On Dec 30, 2013
What many nigerians don't know is this-south east is not landlocked . Azumini in abia state is only 5 nautical miles from the atlantic coast, the greatest mistakes that the military govt made was not ceding ukwa west to rivers or akwa ibom state to make igbos landlocked.

Incase you don't know, azumini is direct acess to the atlantic coast without trespassing other people's territory.
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by baralatie(m): 1:16pm On Oct 11, 2015
any development about the sea port project?
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Scholes007(m): 1:38pm On Oct 11, 2015
baralatie:
any development about the sea port project?
not yet...there has been some
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by baralatie(m): 1:41pm On Oct 11, 2015
Scholes007:
not yet...there has been some
some issues like?
Re: Hmm!!! Abia State Set To Build A Seaport by Scholes007(m): 1:42pm On Oct 11, 2015
baralatie:

some issues like?
financial and bureaucratic bottle neck... I think the federal govt see it as a non feasible venture

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari's Colored Original Result And Old School Pics: Channels Tv / Breaking!! No Fuel Subsidy In 2016 - Federal Government!! / Strong Momentum & Continuous Growth In Economy Further Show Buhari Is Working

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.