Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,833 members, 7,817,445 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:22 PM

Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) - Fashion (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) (859078 Views)

Run Way Photos From Valisimo Fashion Show.Enjoy / Lagos Party...........get Inspration On Styles To Sew.......(valisimo Fashions) / Fashion School Practicals......enjoy The Pics (from Valisimo Fashion School) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (74) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by helen4(f): 7:37pm On Sep 07, 2014
you are indeed a blessing to us. Been following quietly with my notebook and pen. i adore you.
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 9:38pm On Sep 07, 2014
helen4: you are indeed a blessing to us. Been following quietly with my notebook and pen. i adore you.

Thanks dearie cheesy
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 11:45pm On Sep 07, 2014
Let me place the measurement I will be working with.

It's for a pretty big lady. wink

Shoulder 17
Sleeve 14
Bust 46
Waist 39
Hip 52
Length 43

Time to divide our measurement into blocks. (Front block and back block)
I will divide the bust waist and hip into two.

bust 46÷2 =23
Waist 39÷2=19.5
Hip 53÷2=26

Because it's a free dress I need to add extra inches to make it free.
I will be using the biggest part to place my fabric on fold
Which is 26 +4 to make it free,that's- 30. I also must add seam allowance 1 inch.

So I have 31 inch placed on fold
Now let's talk about the length of the dress
The length of the dress is 43.but I will have to factor the different colours into the length. The dress we are using as a guide has two different colours but I want to make this one 3 colours .All I need to do is Identify the inches I want to make each colour. I also factor in seam allowance and deduct it from the 43 inch of the length. What ever is left will be part of the dominant colour of the dress.

I want to make my main dress 30 while the added fabric will be 13.
Now coz I am dividing 13 into 3, I will have it as 4+4+5 =13.
On each piece I must add 1 inch seam allowance to join it together.
This is the theoretical explanation

Now let do the placement on fabric so we can cut.

1 Like

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 11:49pm On Sep 07, 2014
So for my fabric on fold I will be working with 31 inch on fold by 30 inch length+1 inch for seam.

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 11:58pm On Sep 07, 2014
Next I shape out my dress using the bust waist and hip also I shape out my shoulder, neck and arm hole area.my shoulder is 17 since my fabric is on fold it will be 17÷2 = 8.5
Neck is 4 by 4
Arm hole is 10 inch

2 Likes

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 12:04am On Sep 08, 2014
So I cut out the unwanted parts.

The same thing is done to the back only I add seam allowance for the zip and the neck is higher

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 12:11am On Sep 08, 2014
Here is my combination part

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 12:15am On Sep 08, 2014
Next is my sleeve.14 + 1 inch for seam allowance

Now we are ready to join all the parts together. grin
It's work time people.

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by Tushmum(f): 7:32am On Sep 08, 2014
God bless you for this Selfless Service Madam Efosaval....I am jotting till I get my materials and I will start doing shakara with my gown*dancingshoki*...lols
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by ladylaurel(f): 8:48am On Sep 08, 2014
cheesy u make dis sound so easy, n here I am still trying to learn how to step on the machine.
e no easy o. cheesy

But I'm determined to learn, so learn I WILL.

1 Like

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by helen4(f): 12:14pm On Sep 08, 2014
cant wait to start sewing.
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 8:50pm On Sep 08, 2014
Lol...... grin cheesy there is no profession without some level of difficulty but when you get u get used to it it becomes second nature and people generally think it easy for you. Don't worry as long as you don't give up you will get there wink.This goes to all the beginners in the house.trust me it gets better.

2 Likes

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by ladylaurel(f): 2:25pm On Sep 09, 2014
EFOSAVAL: Lol...... grin cheesy there is no profession without some level of difficulty but when you get u get used to it it becomes second nature and people generally think it easy for you. Don't worry as long as you don't give up you will get there wink.This goes to all the beginners in the house.trust me it gets better.
Thanks ma. U r really a God sent. God bless u real good. smiley
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by ladylaurel(f): 2:27pm On Sep 09, 2014
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by Nobody: 8:51am On Sep 11, 2014
Please who has the book on dress making to spare. I can make a copy n return. Thank you and God bless you. Help someone.
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by ladylaurel(f): 5:33pm On Sep 12, 2014
where has everyone gone to?

Anyway, will soon post my first skirt wink
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 8:40am On Sep 13, 2014
Doing their projects I hope.anyways we hope to see urs soon too.

The joining part of this dress is pretty basic.join shoulder to shoulder . side to side.fix the zip the sleeve and the combination part.at the end this is what u get.

Note that it's like this on this Manequin because was was made for a big person.go back to the measurement to see it.

1 Like

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by helen4(f): 4:39pm On Sep 13, 2014
following.
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by Xone3(f): 5:40pm On Sep 13, 2014
please will the extra 4 inches for free ness be added only to the hip or will it be added to the bust and waist also.
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by Aloli(f): 6:49pm On Sep 13, 2014
Among the measurements listed is the arm hole, please how do you measure this on a person's body. Thanks
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by tushwitch(f): 7:33pm On Sep 13, 2014
Ma, there's something wrong with my dress, it looks ill fitting when loose, guess I'm gonna make it fitted instead, cause i *'borrowed ' the machine i used

1 Share

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by tushwitch(f): 7:40pm On Sep 13, 2014
See

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by sssob: 9:00pm On Sep 13, 2014
if its ill fitting put darts ..
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by Bootybuttchic(f): 9:24pm On Sep 13, 2014
ladylaurel: cheesy u make dis sound so easy, n here I am still trying to learn how to step on the machine.
e no easy o. cheesy

But I'm determined to learn, so learn I WILL.
same probs i encounterd when i began sewing oo grin .....the wheel will be going back instead of front making the shuttle hook...grin ...just calm down and first roll that shld i say wheel with ur hand,and ur leg shld now folow the way ut pedal goed,dont over step,...i hope dis helps.......and learn to use one leg too smiley
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by mamatwo: 12:31am On Sep 14, 2014
EFOSAVAL: Doing their projects I hope.anyways we hope to see urs soon too.

The joining part of this dress is pretty basic.join shoulder to shoulder . side to side.fix the zip the sleeve and the combination part.at the end this is what u get.

Note that it's like this on this Manequin because was was made for a big person.go back to the measurement to see it.
madan efosa, does the dress have darts and lining?
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by tushwitch(f): 11:58am On Sep 14, 2014
I finally did it!, tis loose and pretty...lol

6 Likes

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by omaimoje(f): 7:55am On Sep 15, 2014
EFOSAVAL: Doing their projects I hope.anyways we hope to see urs soon too.

mama uwese ooooo.... he did u turn d neck? since d didn't use lining
N.B m new, v been followin tho wink
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by oluwaphemiee(m): 8:05am On Sep 15, 2014
EFOSAVAL: Next I shape out my dress using the bust waist and hip also I shape out my shoulder, neck and arm hole area.my shoulder is 17 since my fabric is on fold it will be 17÷2 = 8.5
Neck is 4 by 4
Arm hole is 10 inch

1 Like

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by oluwaphemiee(m): 8:05am On Sep 15, 2014
EFOSAVAL: Next I shape out my dress using the bust waist and hip also I shape out my shoulder, neck and arm hole area.my shoulder is 17 since my fabric is on fold it will be 17÷2 = 8.5
Neck is 4 by 4
Arm hole is 10 inch
how do we knw d measurement to use for arm hole
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by iclass: 9:41am On Sep 15, 2014
@tushwitch your dress is beautiful, well done!
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 10:10pm On Sep 15, 2014
Hummmmm where do I start from grin......so many questions
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 10:12pm On Sep 15, 2014
Xone3: please will the extra 4 inches for free ness be added only to the hip or will it be added to the bust and waist also.

U need to add It to all.2 inch on both sides

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (74) (Reply)

Pictures Of Various Ankara/kente Styles / Best Skin Lightening/toning Soap / ~ The Hair Gallery For Short,Natural,Weave Or Braids ~

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.