Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,181 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor (34971 Views)

Breaking: Dr Oby Ezekwesili Likely next CBN Governor. To Replace Emefiele / Governor Of The Bank Of England Should Be Appointed As The Next CBN Governor. / Jonathan, Okonjo-iweala Tip Aig-imoukhuede As Next CBN Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by adconline(m): 8:24pm On Dec 28, 2013
Ola one:

I have always said this: Gordon Brown who was a Chancellor of the Exchequer in Britain didn't study Economics. He's widely respected in the same field because of his stellar performance in Britain.

More importantly, Christiane Largade, the woman in charge of the IMF didn't study economics at any level. She was also the minister of finance in France.

Nigerians or should I say NLanders need to grow up.

Gordon Brown knew how to calculate his numbers while SLS doesn't.
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by mbulela: 8:26pm On Dec 28, 2013
Omooba77: If not for the skimming of things; Erastus Akingbola would have been the ideal candidate....................
No be nite of a thousand laughs we dey o!
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Pain(m): 8:26pm On Dec 28, 2013
Ola one:

I have always said this: Gordon Brown who was a Chancellor of the Exchequer in Britain didn't study Economics. He's widely respected in the same field because of his stellar performance in Britain.

More importantly, Christiane Largade, the woman in charge of the IMF didn't study economics at any level. She was also the minister of finance in France.

Nigerians or should I say NLanders need to grow up.

Thank you. Dont mind all these "Nairaland Intellectuals" most of whom may only achieve a tenth of what SLS has achieved if they are ever lucky enough in their lifetime. Anyway, the "short bouts of delusions granduer" nairaland provides has helped to stabilise the number of potential destitutes and trolls we would have had physically on our streets. Thanks to Seun for his rather latent contribution to our social capital.

1 Like

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by chenzola(m): 8:26pm On Dec 28, 2013
grin
solomon111: yoruba ko,indian ni.
We need the right man or woman.
grin
solomon111: yoruba ko,indian ni.
We need the right man or woman.
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Omooba77: 8:28pm On Dec 28, 2013
mbulela:
No be nite of a thousand laughs we dey o!
Ask any one who was at Intercontinental bank................
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by MayorofLagos(m): 8:28pm On Dec 28, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

You are like a smelly piece of tribal feces. You see everything through your tribal lenses. Can't even reason properly because of your bigotry. You sound so much like EKO-ILE.

Omambala, if i catch you angry
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Olaone1: 8:29pm On Dec 28, 2013
Elumelu's Africapitalism . . . I dey laugh oo. grin grin

Let me define "Africapitalism sef: a covert policy attempt to buy the whole of black Africa through dodgy business deals, over-invoicing and 'privatization'. smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by hercules07: 8:30pm On Dec 28, 2013
I will prefer Ben Akabueze as the CBN governor, he was a banker and has served meritoriously in the LASG.
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by mbulela: 8:30pm On Dec 28, 2013
Omooba77:
Ask any one who was at Intercontinental bank................
How do you know I was not there?
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by naijaking1: 8:32pm On Dec 28, 2013
Omooba77: If not for the skimming of things; Erastus Akingbola would have been the ideal candidate....................

Akingbola remains an idol to enterpreneurship in Nigeria!
In any societies, he would be praised for his innovation and foresight. In Nigeria, where the bad people ALWAYS win, I'm not surprised that the man is not respected.
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Idokosolomon(m): 8:34pm On Dec 28, 2013
Tribe should nt be the issue but we need person who can deliver the goods of CBN for the benefit of all Nigeria citizens
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by hercules07: 8:34pm On Dec 28, 2013
naijaking1:

In any societies, he would be praised for his innovation and foresight. In Nigeria, where the bad people ALWAYS win, I'm not surprised that the man is not respected.

Erastus ko, Erasmus ni, someone who could not run a bank successfully, please how much is intercontinental shares right now? Confirmed round tripper and money launderer.
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by kennosklint(m): 8:35pm On Dec 28, 2013
Aaaaa only dat name nor reach 2 put cbn 4 one chance..abeg ooo
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Nobody: 8:37pm On Dec 28, 2013
I respect Him for his achievement so far!

However, Nigeria need someone with vast experience and knowledge on how to run an economy (both practical and theoretical) and not how to run 'A' bank or business holdings.
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Pain(m): 8:37pm On Dec 28, 2013
I see more of ethnic bile than brains on this thread...it's such a shame. I weep for this country. Sometimes I wonder what the sacrifice is all for...
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by mbulela: 8:38pm On Dec 28, 2013
naijaking1:

Innovation and foresight in what exactly?
Please educate me.
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by naijaking1: 8:39pm On Dec 28, 2013
mbulela: If you have heard Tony elumelu talk and subsequently you concluded that he is the CBN gov that this country needs,then you have no clue what the role of a reserve governor much less the reserve bank is.
To those clamouring for AIG, managing a reserve bank is not the same America publicity and deposit chasing which is the hallmark of retail banking.
We need a reserve bank governor that is not an attention sseeking w.hore, is very long on policy,a team player and has a strong track record of institution building.
We do not need all these banking cowboysbwith loads of skeletons in the graveyard.
No to Tony Elumelu and AIG.
They should enjoy their loot in peace.

OMG!!!
Welcome home brother, welcome home!
I hope you brought Jarus along with you!!
A typical CBN governor is usually publicity shy, guarded, and quite serious in outlook. Our guy started as a road show perfomer: calling people names, taking credits for work done by Tunde Lemo, Sara Alade and others at the bank. When the governor of the CBN says that the stock exchange is a gambling house, and he's stays in office for one more day, then you must be in Nigeria!
Anyway, welcome home to reality and the truth!
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by naijaking1: 8:40pm On Dec 28, 2013
hercules07:

Erastus ko, Erasmus ni, someone who could not run a bank successfully, please how much is intercontinental shares right now? Confirmed round tripper and money launderer.

Your question should be how much it was worth before Sanusi, yes that CBN governor came to power.
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by adconline(m): 8:44pm On Dec 28, 2013
Pain:

Thank you. Dont mind all these "Nairaland Intellectuals" most of whom may only achieve a tenth of what SLS has achieved if they are ever lucky enough in their lifetime. Anyway, the "short bouts of delusions granduer" nairaland provides has helped to stabilise the number of potential destitutes and trolls we would have had physically on our streets. Thanks to Seun for his rather latent contribution to our social capital.
I think you are missing the point here. You cannot lower the standard of hiring the CBN governor to minimum qualification of average Nigerian/NLer. It's the apex bank in Naija , and should attract folks with apex qualifications and accomplishments. We don't need ordinary folks running CBN!

"I ain't no ordinary nigga .Look around, this aint what ordinary gets ya . Extraordinary figures . I'm a extra-ordinary nigga" Jay-Z
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Nobody: 8:45pm On Dec 28, 2013
Tony Elu what? Of all the great economic minds we have in Nigeria, a business man should be CBN governor?

I know for a fact the op had his freaking ethnic bias in mind. Tony Elumelu? For CBN governor?

I'll tell you this: The reason Nigeria has not yet collapsed totally is because we have been using pro active CBN governors since 1999.

One slide in the monetary policies and Nigeria will be done for.

Awon oloshi ak ba eda won yi. Tony Elumelu?> CBN governor? una dey mad? You cant think of a pat utomi? o wait, intelligent folks won't make it in this administration.

Oteh Ibadan lo ko eyele with adiye mehn, if not I no go hold the same citizenship with dullards and economically/politically unschooled brain dead zombies like una!

Tony Elumelu? CBN GOVERNOR? WHY NOT GIVE IT TO DANGOTE NOW... AWON OLOSHI AKO BA EDA WON YI.

3 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by ketoprofen(m): 8:47pm On Dec 28, 2013
atlwireles:

Who was responsible for those loses?? Soludo or Sanusi? As far i'm concern, the person that screamed fire in the market is responsible. Soludo did not bury the confidence of the Nigerian stock market and our financial sector. Sanusi was the one that called everybody a thief, only to leave the industry in worst shape than he met it. No amount of fake awards and noise will change this fact.
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by naijaking1: 8:48pm On Dec 28, 2013
mbulela:
Innovation and foresight in what exactly?
Please educate me.

Not sure if you alluded to working for intercontinental or not. But the issue is simple. What was Intercontinental before Akingbola? How much was it worth, the stocks, and how many employees, I mean able bodied Nigerian men and women who make a living off the bank?
All these did not matter, because there was a petty personal agenda by Sanusi to destroy what he didn't build with allegations, more allegation, and he even convinced some well meaning Nigerians like yourself that he should be trusted. He claimed unimaginable crimes, coined phrases like round-tripping all in an attempt to neutralize what Akingbola built.
It will take years to fully unfold the damages done to our financial system by Sanusi. The Akingbolas, the Okadas, and Ubongs of this attacks were nothing but innocent bystanders of system gone horribly wrong.

1 Like

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by owobokiri(m): 8:53pm On Dec 28, 2013
Jokes apart, what do you need a strong naira for? For the feel good factor, abi? The bragging right? HOW DOES THAT HELP EXPORT? Which of the export driven economies in the world still boasts of a strong currency? Isnt the strong nature of the dollar part of the reason why American exports are declining? Why buy costly american goods when you can get that cheaper in shanghai? We dont need a strong naira, we just need an erudite cbn gov who can introduce a pro sme-export foreign exchange regime that will grow exports thereby enhancing massive production and factory activities. If it is cheaper to invest here, with Nigerias high RoI, there will be an healthy influx of investments especially from Asia. All things being equal.

donjazet: We need someone who wld be able 2 deliver without political inteference, sm1 who wld work 2wards increasing the strenght of naira above Dollar. Who wld effectively introduce nd implement the use of credit cards truout the country. Nd also fully implement d cashless policy.

3 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by naijaking1: 8:54pm On Dec 28, 2013
0lumide: Tony Elu what? Of all the great economic minds we have in Nigeria, a business man should be CBN governor?

I know for a fact the op had his freaking ethnic bias in mind. Tony Elumelu? For CBN governor?

I'll tell you this: The reason Nigeria has not yet collapsed totally is because we have been using pro active CBN governors since 1999.

One slide in the monetary policies and Nigeria will be done for.

Awon oloshi ak ba eda won yi. Tony Elumelu?> CBN governor? una dey mad? You cant think of a pat utomi? o wait, intelligent folks won't make it in this administration.

Oteh Ibadan lo ko eyele with adiye mehn, if not I no go hold the same citizenship with dullards and economically/politically unschooled brain dead zombies like una!

Tony Elumelu? CBN GOVERNOR? WHY NOT GIVE IT TO DANGOTE NOW... AWON OLOSHI AKO BA EDA WON YI.

I know some people can never make a point without being tribalistic, but we don't need it here.
The op made his suggestion, is it possible to make yours without getting ridiculous

1 Like

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Omooba77: 8:56pm On Dec 28, 2013
hercules07:

You can ask SLS how Access bank bought over Intercontinental despite the huge debt Access was owing Intercontinental..................
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Olaone1: 8:58pm On Dec 28, 2013
naijaking1:

Not sure if you alluded to working for intercontinental or not. But the issue is simple. What was Intercontinental before Akingbola? How much was it worth, the stocks, and how many employees, I mean able bodied Nigerian men and women who make a living off the bank?
All these did not matter, because there was a petty personal agenda by Sanusi to destroy what he didn't build with allegations, more allegation, and he even convinced some well meaning Nigerians like yourself that he should be trusted. He claimed unimaginable crimes, coined phrases like round-tripping all in an attempt to neutralize what Akingbola built.
It will take years to fully unfold the damages done to our financial system by Sanusi. The Akingbolas, the Okadas, and Ubongs of this attacks were nothing but innocent bystanders of system gone horribly wrong.
I understand you bro but these guys aren't innocent
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Nobody: 9:04pm On Dec 28, 2013
naijaking1:

I know some people can never make a point without being tribalistic, but we don't need it here.
The op made his suggestion, is it possible to make yours without getting ridiculous

Oloshi ni e ni? where did I say anything tribal?

A Yoruba man asking why Pat Utomi isn't considered is now tribal.

Ba ankali!!!!
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by naijaswag1: 9:06pm On Dec 28, 2013
Deleted
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by naijaswag1: 9:08pm On Dec 28, 2013
Tunder Lemo.

They should give it to a yoruba man. Soludo, Sanusi and Tunde and the cycle is 3/4 complete. I believe these tribes including the minorities have the brains to run this country's financial system. After him, a minority from any of the tribes should be appointed then we start with an Igbo man again. However, GEJ may appoint someone from the minorities because this is the SS opportunity to implement policies that will give them some leverage in the financial system.

We have capable hands from all the regions, no region can claim to have the best. Let's teach Africa governance of inclusiveness. That's why I still advocate that the North should give GEJ the chance for 2015 and lay hold to 2019 and hand over to Ndi Igbo in 2027.
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by mbulela: 9:14pm On Dec 28, 2013
naijaking1:

Is that all? Or you are planning to say more? Cos I ma struggling to see the foresighted and innovation you are ttalking about.
The wrong I see that SOS did was that he was selectively his treatment. It is ashamed that an AIG ended up buying Erastus bank. Both deserved the same treatment.
Akingbola's house was built on quicksand.
Those cowboys and lady were empowered by Soludo to exhibit gross financial rascality.
Leave all that story about providing jobs. Do you know how many jobs he and his likes created. We need to stop hiding behind that excuse when addressing failures. after all, robbers are creating jobs for economy too,abi you no know?
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by 36STATES: 9:26pm On Dec 28, 2013
If any of you writing these things here had lost money in the stock market crash of 2008 you would have known that Soludo was a disaster. Solude is a big time crook and doesn't have the qualification and the uprightness to run a sensitive institution like CBN. Sanusi is the best thing that happened to the central bank ever. Though a lot of corruption is still going on there, but that is a discussion for another day. Soludo was 100% aware of all the thieving happening in the banks by people like Mrs Ibru of Oceanic, Erastus Akingbole of Int Continental Bank etc. OBJ, Soludo and Ndi Onyiuke was real axis of evil for investors in Nigeria when they were heading there respective offices.

1 Like

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by peleson: 9:29pm On Dec 28, 2013
PapaBrowne: I think the post of CBN would kind of belittle Elumelu. The guy is poised for much bigger. Boggling him down in regulatory bureaucracy would not cut it for Elumelu. The trending words today in global finance are impact investment, conscious capitalism and social entrepreneurship. Elumelu is at the forefront of these three with his Africapitalism model.

For a regulatory institution like CBN, we need folks who are long on policy framework design and implementation. A Soludo type who can easily create policy and convert it into practicality. Not a lot of people come to mind.
Atedo Peterside is the BEST!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

How We Will Stop Boko Haram, By Muhammadu Buhari--vanguard / Tinubu: I Never Described Buhari As A Religious Bigot / Pregnant Mother Delivers While Dancing With Muma Gee At Campaign Rally (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.