Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,113 members, 7,821,823 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:29 PM

Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons - Career (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons (181304 Views)

2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. / Towards Achieving Financial Independence! / Your Dream Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by SundayPhilip: 9:25pm On Oct 19, 2014
@xfire and other experienced fellow. Please i need an urgent advice on this. I am a graduate of agric engineering and i want to add more value to myself by enrolling for piping engineering training. Please is it a nice decision, as per, possibility of getting a job easily. Please advice me and b blessed.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 10:00pm On Oct 19, 2014
Odunharry:
xfire morning
I am in my final year my cgpa is currently on second class upper division..
Studyin Accounting education and i am really thinking of going for a professional examination...(CIPM) is what i have in mind though.
I have always love to work in corporate organisations..
I love teaching too right from when i was young..

Would u advice me take professional exam or go for a masters first.?
My childhood drm is working in a large corporate firm..

What are the chances of breakng through the corporate world knowing fully well i am an Educational student...

Thanks very much for ur input.
Why not? You can definitely work in a corporate organizations. I hope you know that corporate organizations include banks, FMCG coys, service coys, audit firms, oil coys, etc. Many of these firms only require your BSc degree to qualify. Why CIPM, if I may ask? Do you want to be an HR professional or consultant?
It will be easier for you to break into the corporate world as an accountant considering the fact that you are a student of Accounting Education. But that will require you to enrol for a professional accounting certification if you choose to be proactive. You should pursue an ICAN/ACCA certification first before acquiring a Masters since you are educational student. That is a more viable option except you have preferences for CIPM for personal reasons.

Cheers..
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Odunharry(m): 10:55pm On Oct 19, 2014
xfire:

Why not? You can definitely work in a corporate organizations. I hope you know that corporate organizations include banks, FMCG coys, service coys, audit firms, oil coys, etc. Many of these firms only require your BSc degree to qualify. Why CIPM, if I may ask? Do you want to be an HR professional or consultant?
It will be easier for you to break into the corporate world as an accountant considering the fact that you are a student of Accounting Education. But that will require you to enrol for a professional accounting certification if you choose to be proactive. You should pursue an ICAN/ACCA certification first before acquiring a Masters since you are educational student. That is a more viable option except you have preferences for CIPM for personal reasons.

Cheers..
Thank sir..I have always love human resources practioner and hope to be one..
I wouldnt mind ICAN/ANAN bt CIPM is what i have in mind for now,thanks sir for ur advice

We are still following ur thread for the cv sample
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by lagostradefair: 2:40pm On Oct 21, 2014
The Lagos Chamber of Commerce & Industry is BMO with over a hundred and fifty member companies. The Lagos Chamber was established in 1888 as the private sector advocate for the business community in Nigeria.
We require the service of a social media expert in the are of publicity. This individual is required to define and develop strategies/ initiatives aimed at enhancing the Chambers social media activities.
The job is a part time job that allows flexibility and and proper time management
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by misterkay(m): 10:32pm On Oct 21, 2014
@xfire, still waiting o
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by buoye1(m): 12:30am On Oct 22, 2014
xfire:

Don't just hope so. Know so. Believe you have what it takes to secure the scholarships. Confidence is critical to success. The role of 'man-know-man' is highly exaggerated in Nigeria.

@all, I will re-post the last piece of my write-up just before the Nairaland attack later.

In the coming days as time permits, I will write on cover letter writing (based on demand) and how to maintain professional networks. I will also discuss some of the current challenges I am facing in my career and how I am working towards overcoming them. Stay tuned.
Brother please could you help me with a
copy of a cover letter sir...I'm about to
apply for a training programme with
exxnnomobil but the cover letter is needed
and I have no idea on these

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 8:24am On Oct 24, 2014
Allteemate Quote:
Speak sweetly..
So that if ever u have to EAT ur words back, they don't TASTE bad..!
Think upon it..!

G๑๑δ M๑яทïทg, wish you a peaceful weekend.

Featured Professional Courses In Oil & Gas Sector, Management & Safety.
http://allteemate.com/enrol/
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 11:12am On Oct 24, 2014
lagostradefair:
The Lagos Chamber of Commerce & Industry is BMO with over a hundred and fifty member companies. The Lagos Chamber was established in 1888 as the private sector advocate for the business community in Nigeria.
We require the service of a social media expert in the are of publicity. This individual is required to define and develop strategies/ initiatives aimed at enhancing the Chambers social media activities.
The job is a part time job that allows flexibility and and proper time management
Hello, I have experience in social media and online marketing.

How do I reach you? Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by crudedude(m): 6:35pm On Oct 24, 2014
SundayPhilip:
My good people. Please somebody should should help and tell me where is the best in porthacourt to enroll for NDT training. Thank you as i await your response

Google TrinityNDT. Can't say its the best but its an NDT training centre in PH. All the best.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 6:55pm On Oct 24, 2014
lagostradefair:
Let me also add that I am the own of www.exxons.com which was set up to cater for website design needs. If there is any means to reach you, kindly drop an email or phone number and I will call you.

Thank you in anticipation of you response.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by olajobsmaster(m): 7:22pm On Oct 24, 2014
Wow!
What an exposé!

Please visit www.jobsmaster.com.ng for all your Career adventures...
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 8:09am On Oct 25, 2014
xfire:

I think I went through it once. Eventhough I didn't read it in detail, I must still commend your work. And you have also done well to share it with all. Well done.

@all
I will post the 4 sample CV's with some notes and explanation, hopefully early next week. They are not meant to be used as templates per se. They are to serve as guides to CV writing. CV writing is an art and not a mechanical process. I will attach snapshot copies of the CV here for everyone's use. I will also send MS Word soft copies to napsbrada, McWhillion (those 2 friends have been wonderful here) and 3 other Nairalanders for the purpose of sending to others that may need the soft copies. I want to avoid a situation in which the thread is inundated with excessive requests for the e-copies.

@Evergreen4
Forgive me for not responding to you yet. I will do that as soon as I am settled, possibly before the end of the day.

Cheers......!
Still here,still interestedsmiley
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 8:42am On Oct 25, 2014
Okay guys / ladies,

I have not been on the thread for a few days. I temporarily got some added responsibilities at my workplace and in my personal life.

I digress a bit.....

Lemme give a brief explanation on the minor challenge at my workplace which has kept me busy for the past few days and has prevented me from updating the thread:

My workload has increased over the past few days because my boss has given me some added responsibilities. I am currently working with a colleague on a major assignment with a deadline of December 2014. Unfortunately, my colleague has not been as effective as expected. Thus, my boss has been transferring his/her share of work to me! This has greatly increased my already bloated workload cry Wetin man go do na? In addition, I still have almost 3 weeks' leave pending for the year, and I am really hoping it will not put jeopardize my planned vacation cry
I will also soon start pushing for a change of job role because I want to gain multi-disciplinary engineering experience. I hope my boss and in extension, my department will release me. It may likely be an uphill task and a battle. But I will determined to move.

LESSON LEARNT 1: In the workplace, the reward for good work is more work cry i.e. more challenging assignments or added/higher responsibilities It's always good for a new employee to distinguish him/herself and be effective at work. Effectiveness means producing results i.e. to deliver. Once your boss has confidence in your ability to deliver, he/she will likely give you more responsibilities because of the trust. He/she may sometimes put pressure on you but don't be bothered, it's all part of the job demand.

LESSON LEARNT 2: Have your mind set on what you want i.e. Be clear about your career goals, and pursue it wisely I spent my first year in the company trying to understand the organisation and clarifying my career goals. Now I know clearly what I want. Eventhough all is going well with me in the department and boss seems to trust in my ability, I will still request and push for a change in job assignment. Why? Simple, because a change of job role is important and necessary to achieve my career objectives.

Over the course of my entire work experience, I see people who get stuck in their career path because they became too comfortable, lethargic and complacent in their current position. Many of them did not utilize early opportunities that were available to them because they became too comfortable at their current level. Now many of them eagerly desire to move ahead but it's almost too late. Though I must add that it's good to be contented with your current position. That's important if you want to live a happy life. But it's also essential that you evaluate your progression periodically.

Cheers.......!

Note:
1) I will soon post the sample CV's as promised. I am yet to do so because I need adequate time to include some helpful explanations and points as I post them. I will find that time.

2) Misterkay, I see you oo. Forgive my sins. I will give you a call soon, very very very soon!

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Sambest2(m): 5:25pm On Oct 26, 2014
Sir, your write up has been an eye opener to me. I'm blessed... grin
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by petengine(m): 2:52pm On Oct 29, 2014
hello xfire et al

please can this email bassey_essien@yahoo.com be used on a CV? am asking this because of the underscore sign.
thanks
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by darellrivers: 4:42pm On Oct 29, 2014
petengine:
hello xfire et al

please can this email bassey_essien@yahoo.com be used on a CV? am asking this because of the underscore sign.
thanks

I Don't see why not smiley
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 6:26pm On Oct 30, 2014
With all due respect and permission from our very own sir xfire,ma'am darrelrivers,Bigdreams,Mods and other great minds here,i humbly seek for you supports

@All..Okay house,I'm sorry to bring this up at a time
like this,but if we wait until we are ready,I
guess we'll never be ready

I CAN'T DO THIS ON MY OWN...support
nabsprada for MISS NAIRALAND...http://
www.nairaland.com/nabsprada
I'm counting on you all
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by kfrosh: 1:20pm On Oct 31, 2014
I wonder how best to move.forward with my career after a disappointing third class degree (2.37) in Mechanical Engineering. I would appreciate any useful advise or tips from my fellow nairalanders. sad cry
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Etfash(m): 2:25pm On Oct 31, 2014
kfrosh:
I wonder how best to move.forward with my career after a disappointing third class degree (2.37) in Mechanical Engineering. I would appreciate any useful advise or tips from my fellow nairalanders. sad cry

Your life is definitely more than the class of degree you graduated with.

I think life has presented you a good challenge very early; Decide on what you want and pursue it vigorously!

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Ehimenboy(m): 3:16pm On Oct 31, 2014
nabsprada:
With all due respect and permission from our very own sir xfire,ma'am darrelrivers,Bigdreams,Mods and other great minds here,i humbly seek for you supports

@All..Okay house,I'm sorry to bring this up at a time
like this,but if we wait until we are ready,I
guess we'll never be ready

I CAN'T DO THIS ON MY OWN...support
nabsprada for MISS NAIRALAND...http://
www.nairaland.com/nabsprada
I'm counting on you all
How do I vote, pls?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 8:24pm On Oct 31, 2014
Ehimenboy:

How do I vote, pls?
By dropping the comment "I vote nabsprada"smileyon the election thread sir...link to the thread will be shared when the time comes..thanks for askingsmiley
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Mixty: 6:28am On Nov 01, 2014
^^^^
Mr Ebang. Stop using this thread for your adverts.
Crazyman, 1forall, abeg do something.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 8:34pm On Nov 01, 2014
Pls enlight me which course is better btw business admin managment and marketing.whic 1 also has little calculation
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by engrsyer(m): 8:52pm On Nov 01, 2014
Sadia1992:
Pls enlight me which course is better btw business admin managment and marketing.whic 1 also has little calculation
Marketing has little calculation but Biz Admin is better. D choice is urs
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by mrarranger: 9:27pm On Nov 01, 2014
Please xfire i need your help
I just finished my ND programme but i got admitted to the university this year.I will like to work part time as a teacher in a secondary school and combine it with my academics.My question is;is it advisable to write unsolicited application to schools
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by mrarranger: 9:28pm On Nov 01, 2014
Please xfire i need your help
I just finished my ND programme but i got admitted to the university this year.I will like to work part time as a teacher in a secondary school and combine it with my academics.My question is;is it advisable to write unsolicited application to schools

Please reply xfire and co
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 12:46pm On Nov 02, 2014
engrsyer:
Marketing has little calculation but Biz Admin is better. D choice is urs
..tnx

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (40) (Reply)

Interview Question: 'What Time Are You Available To Start Work?' / How To Become A Nse, Coren Registered Engineer In Nigeria / CFA Candidates In The House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.