Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,814 members, 7,956,080 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:48 AM

Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons - Career (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons (184096 Views)

2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. / Towards Achieving Financial Independence! / Your Dream Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by TheCode(m): 5:59pm On Nov 23, 2014
taiwolusol:

Thank you Sir smiley

Bros, darellrivers na lady o (and a very remarkable one at that cool ).

You presumed she is male based on the quality of her posts, right? I and many others were guilty of that too (on this thread, before the nairaland '9/11'), and she encouraged us then to iron - as much as we can - the creases of male-chauvinism out of our idiosyncrasies grin

Well darellrivers, and by extension, ladies, an igbo proverb says, "anaghi amu aka ekpe na nka" (meaning its extremely difficult to learn how to use ur left hand as ur dominant hand in ur old age), but we the enlightened male folk shall definitely keep trying our best to be much more balanced in our judgement with respect to the above wink

May the good Lord bless ur hustle bros, and that of everyone on this thread.

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by darellrivers: 7:17pm On Nov 23, 2014
TheCode:

Bros, darellrivers na lady o (and a very remarkable one at that cool ).

You presumed she is male based on the quality of her posts, right? I and many others were guilty of that too (on this thread, before the nairaland '9/11'), and she encouraged us then to iron - as much as we can - the male-chauvinism creases out of our idiosyncrasies grin

Well darellrivers, and by extension, ladies, an igbo proverb says, "anaghi amu aka ekpe na nka" (meaning its extremely difficult to learn how to use ur left hand as ur dominant hand/arm in ur old age), but we the enlightened male folk shall definitely keep trying our best to be much more balanced in our judgement with respect to the above wink

May the good Lord bless ur hustle bros, and that of everyone on this thread.

lol... I noticed the "Mr. Darellrivers" and "sir" and just smiled to myself... smiley It is very very amusing when people, by default, refer to me as "sir"... hehehe

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 6:01am On Nov 24, 2014
darellrivers:

lol... I noticed the "Mr. Darellrivers" and "sir" and just smiled to myself... smiley It is very very amusing when people, by default, refer to me as "sir"... hehehe

Good to know we have a superWoman in our midst smiley
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by AMDEX5(m): 7:26am On Nov 24, 2014
xfire:
LESSON 4: Iron sharpeneth iron. Build contacts with people with similar dreams and ambitions. Most of my friends and mentors were also top students like me who inspired me and challenged me to do more. Many of them are currently pursuing their PhD on scholarship, while others are working in top companies all around the globe. I met a lot of them in final recruitment stages. Surround yourself with people that will encourage and motivate you. Never surround yourself with pessimists. Maybe one of the reasons I didn't make a first class was that I shared the same apartment in my final year with a coursemate of mine who was a pessimist and an underachiever. He was always complaining about one lecturer or one course or the other. He was simply overwhelmed, and unfortunately, I subconsciously allowed his negative attitude into my mind. I became overwhelmed and it affected my reading concentration. As expected, my CGPA dropped. Good enough, I got over it. Today, that friend of mine is still without a job.
Is it advisable for someone with lower CGPA, let say range of 3.0 to 3.4 to disclosed it in his CV or just write second class honour without stating d division.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by pioneer195(m): 4:30pm On Nov 24, 2014
good one...
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 6:05pm On Nov 24, 2014
kfrosh:
@Xfire plss respond to my question.Tanx
kfrosh and co, I will be back soon to respond to all your questions. Bear with me
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by darellrivers: 9:18pm On Nov 24, 2014
taiwolusol:

Good to know we have a superWoman in our midst smiley

Super woman ke... I am just your girl next door smiley

All the best
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by bartino: 11:52pm On Nov 24, 2014
plz I got invited for the weam and company interview in Dec 2 2015. please how's is it like has anybody got a previous experience? I am still serving in port Harcourt and hopefully ending my services by 2015 July....Please has anyone written the test or interview before? really appreciate any contributions or advise thanks.

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 4:24pm On Nov 25, 2014
bartino:
plz I got invited for the weam and company interview in Dec 2 2015. please how's is it like has anybody got a previous experience? I am still serving in port Harcourt and hopefully ending my services by 2015 July....Please has anyone written the test or interview before? really appreciate any contributions or advise thanks.

You mean Dec 2nd, 2014? I got the invite too. But I think I'll stab it.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by TCann(m): 11:14pm On Nov 25, 2014
MEMO TO X-FIRE

Hi bro, longest time, no show for your thread.

It is these national assignments that just seem to have no end.

Please, your attention is needed here: https://www.nairaland.com/1037972/nnpc-recruitment-2012-here/5

Thank you. God bless.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Tnycee(m): 11:58pm On Nov 25, 2014
@xfire and other guru's in the house, help out please...

I am a graduate of Elect/Elect Engineering(2.1). I want to venture into the oil and gas / energy industry. will a Master's in Business Administration (MBA) increase my chances? What course do i pursue to be on the right track. Should I diversify or should I stick to a course in engineering?? which one will make me more marketable?

Plus, I would love to take up lecturing after retirement from the industry, so should I pursue a master's degree in my field (eg. control & instrumentation, subsea, oil n gas Engineering etc) or should I go for an MBA. Please Nairalanders, I need your insight. PLEASE HELP
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by doziej84: 2:12pm On Nov 26, 2014
taiwolusol:
Mr XFire, I must confess my hidden love for your work, Ideology and Personality.....God bless you for us smiley
So I have a very big problem. I feel I am beginning to come across as confused professionally. I need HELP.
Where I'm I coming from?
I'm a graduate of Mechanical Engineering. I finished from Lautech with a 2:1 this year(precisely May), I got engaged exactly a week after my final exams in School and left for Bonny to take an NLNG sponsored Naval Engineering welding training with Hyundai Heavy Industries. I finished the training in August and did what every sane graduate would do, I started applying for jobs. I was lucky to land my 1st Interview just a couple of days after my welding Training ended..
The interview was for a Technical Management Trainee position with one of the top players in the downstream Oil and gas sector. I did a couple more interviews and my job search was brought to an halt after about 2 months of serious search.
Yes, I got the Technical Management Trainee job smiley
I'm presently a month into the job and I'm liking it....
Here is my problem sir, as you may have noticed, I'm yet to go for NYSC. Camp opens in 4 days and I'm almost certain I'll miss it. Sir, is it really worth it? Waiting another 4 months to commence the 1-year long scheme.
The other problem is my radical approach to job search. I'm seeing greener pastures everywhere! As a matter of fact, I recently received a trainee process engineer Interview with Weam and Company Limited in Portharcourt and I'm already contemplating going. I'm confused...... Please Sir, I need your Advice sad

@taiwolusol, how did you apply for the nlng training thing. is through their website?. when does the application normally come out?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 2:14pm On Nov 26, 2014
Chiscomax:
Can someone who made a 2:2 in engineering bSc and a 2:1 Masters still get a job in somewhere like shell,nnpc,chevron,etc?
You mean in oil majors? If that is what you mean, then I say such candidates can still get jobs in such organizations in some cases. Some companies accept 2.2 + Masters e.g. the current NNPC recruitment exercise made provision for 2.2 graduates but with Masters degree qualification. A few others, as a matter of policy, don't recruit graduates with less than a 2.1.

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 2:18pm On Nov 26, 2014
engrsyer:
Good job done xfire. What if ur CV entered 3 pages perhaps because of working experience that is within 2 years, is their anything wrong with it?
No, nothing wrong with it. However, it is preferable for a graduate with just 2 years experience in a particular coy to stick with 2 pages. Prioritize the details on your CV and remove the superfluous ones. Your CV will shrink to 2 pages
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 2:20pm On Nov 26, 2014
shakol91:
Good @ Oga xfire...nice posts. Please what should half baked accounting education with 2nd class lower do? Should she further and change course of study or continue with the same course with professional exams like ican,gmat etc
Please what do you mean by half-baked accounting education?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 2:22pm On Nov 26, 2014
cigie:
Brethren, please permit me to derail a bit.

Which is more difficult to get: a job (in a MNC) or a scholarship? I have the impression the later is harder to land.

What do you think?
There is no blanket answer to that question. It depends on the job or scholarship opportunity in question.

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 2:34pm On Nov 26, 2014
Horayce:

Wow, you left school in 2011 and ur still 25. Man u r young. I studied mech too but went thru an unconventional route to work in high finance out of love (not necessity, biko kwa). But after a career meltdown im now goingback to my engineering roots. All my peers( bar none) who left to study for an msc in pet engr or a related degree virtually all have good jobs with the top oil majors or service coys like schlum and subsea7. I'm about to do same now, got admitted into very good msc petrolem and subsea programs in the states There's simply no other option for me, study now or live to regret wondering what if i did. Instead of talking about it I'd advise you take the risk of applying to only the top programs in the UK --Heriot watt, imperial, Cranfield --and US-- Stanford, UT austin, Texas A&M. If you are admitted with funding or scholarships, weigh the cons and pros of leaving a job you dread for a very promising career prospect. It's night and day in my opinion. Personally i think the upside of an msc is higher at this point in your career, considering you want to break into an oil major.

@ olujastro

This is a detailed and well articulated response. I do not know how many years of experience you have. But with 3+ years of experience as an offshore engineer coupled with a Masters degree from a top university abroad, you will be at a good position to secure a great job. But then, as Horayce pointed out, there are uncertainties. But the opportunities outweigh the risk. However, I will advise you to have enough cash if you are planning on quitting, even if you get a scholarship.
I wouldn't advise you to go to a UK school. There are more opportunities in US and Canada, particularly in US where the oil industry is currently booming despite falling oil prices. Besides, it's easier to get a work permit in US.
But most importantly, make sure you clarify your career goals. Make sure it is what you want. No one can do that for you.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by engrsyer(m): 2:38pm On Nov 26, 2014
xfire:

No, nothing wrong with it. However, it is preferable for a graduate with just 2 years experience in a particular coy to stick with 2 pages. Prioritize the details on your CV and remove the superfluous ones. Your CV will shrink to 2 pages
Ok, thanks boss. But they r of two different coys within those two years.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 2:58pm On Nov 26, 2014
taiwolusol:
Mr XFire, I must confess my hidden love for your work, Ideology and Personality.....God bless you for us smiley

So I have a very big problem. I feel I am beginning to come across as confused professionally. I need HELP.

Where I'm I coming from?
I'm a graduate of Mechanical Engineering. I finished from Lautech with a 2:1 this year(precisely May), I got engaged exactly a week after my final exams in School and left for Bonny to take an NLNG sponsored Naval Engineering welding training with Hyundai Heavy Industries. I finished the training in August and did what every sane graduate would do, I started applying for jobs. I was lucky to land my 1st Interview just a couple of days after my welding Training ended..

The interview was for a Technical Management Trainee position with one of the top players in the downstream Oil and gas sector. I did a couple more interviews and my job search was brought to an halt after about 2 months of serious search.

Yes, I got the Technical Management Trainee job smiley
I'm presently a month into the job and I'm liking it....

Here is my problem sir, as you may have noticed, I'm yet to go for NYSC. Camp opens in 4 days and I'm almost certain I'll miss it. Sir, is it really worth it? Waiting another 4 months to commence the 1-year long scheme.

The other problem is my radical approach to job search. I'm seeing greener pastures everywhere! As a matter of fact, I recently received a trainee process engineer Interview with Weam and Company Limited in Portharcourt and I'm already contemplating going. I'm confused...... Please Sir, I need your Advice sad
Well, your question came a bit too late. You asked just 4 days before resumption to camp. I'm sure your decision was already made, or almost made on whether to go for NYSC or not. If you had asked me the same question a month earlier, I probably would have advised you not to miss NYSC. But then, my answer is belated.
It's good that you have another 4 months to sort out yourself with the organization, retain your employment and go for service. Make use of the 4 months to get necessary permissions from your office to resume to camp. You should be able to work that out. Don't miss the next service. NYSC is extremely important. The earlier you are done with it, the better.
I am happy that you are seeing green pastures all around you at a time that many others are bemoaning the high unemployment situation in the economy. I still believe that if one is diligent and wise enough to make the right choices at the right time, the sky is the limit. You appear to be doing well. Why not share your experience here for others to learn?
It is absolutely normal for people to be confused when they have more than one good choices. I know someone that once got job offers in NNPC, Shell, Mobil and Chevron at about the same period and I can still remember how confused, sad and exhilarated he was! What a hysterical feeling! The first step you need to take is to settle down on your job. At least you have a job so you aren't desperate. Then determine exactly what you want. Set a standard for yourself and don't go below the standard (except if your career goal changes). You do not have to apply for every job or go for every interview if you aren't interested in the organization. I never went for all the interviews I was called for. I went for only those I was really interested in. And I have worked for 3 organizations so far! So take it easy. I'm happy you are confused for the right reasons.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 2:59pm On Nov 26, 2014
AMDEX5:

Is it advisable for someone with lower CGPA, let say range of 3.0 to 3.4 to disclosed it in his CV or just write second class honour without stating d division.
I have said this a couple of times. You can include your CGPA on your CV if you think it will offer you an advantage.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 3:09pm On Nov 26, 2014
petengine:

Hello Xfire, how do I download a copy of these CV template? I need it as a PDF or doc file. my email: johnansa1@yahoo.com
thanks
I actually promised to send the MS Word version to nabsprada, Mcwhillion and 3 other nairalanders. My only concern is that I don't want this thread to be inundated with requests for the CV's. I will see what I can do.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 3:13pm On Nov 26, 2014
liricyst:
Very nice Mr Xfire..may God continue to keep you. Wish i saw this a long time ago..i wouldn't be where i am now

Anyways,I am a graduate of Elect/elect engineering but i got 2-2 and had an extra year in school and i am 26 (month of may).Finished nysc service in febrary this year. Of course, you can guess that Job hunting hasn't been easy.
Due to my grade and extra year,i decided i would have to start small. So i started applying for internships and temporary jobs in addition to full time jobs. I attended CCNA classes and compTIA A+ classes at CCT in benin during service,i have their certificate but yet to write the International exams. A friend of mine linked me to a coy looking for a temp contract staff who had basic knowledge of networking and computers. Funny enough,only TWO people applied in all,including me. I was able to edge out the other because i could explain the working principle of a laser printer which was a basic in A+
Long story short, i started work there in october but the contract runs out by Jan ending and could be subject to extension. The pay is 55k. I still apply for other jobs though and i'm hoping that i my little experience here will help me to look more employable.
You are on the right path sir. I admire your determination, hard work and foresight.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 3:16pm On Nov 26, 2014
Tnycee:

I am a graduate of Elect/Elect Engineering(2.1). I want to venture into the oil and gas / energy industry. will a Master's in Business Administration (MBA) increase my chances? What course do i pursue to be on the right track. Should I diversify or should I stick to a course in engineering?? which one will make me more marketable?

Plus, I would love to take up lecturing after retirement from the industry, so should I pursue a master's degree in my field (eg. control & instrumentation, subsea, oil n gas Engineering etc) or should I go for an MBA. Please Nairalanders, I need your insight. PLEASE HELP
If your desire is to venture into the oil and energy industry, then a masters degree in engineering is more desirable by far. You don't need an MBA now with you career objective. Most managers in the oil industry don't even have an MBA. With your BSc engineering, you can even get a job in the oil industry. A Masters in engineering will be more beneficial.

Cheers...

3 Likes

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 3:34pm On Nov 26, 2014
xfire:

If your desire is to venture into the oil and energy industry, then a masters degree in engineering is more desirable by far. You don't need an MBA now with you career objective. Most managers in the oil industry don't even have an MBA. With your BSc engineering, you can even get a job in the oil industry. A Masters in engineering will be more beneficial.

Cheers...
bros, I am still waiting o.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by iyisco2001(m): 3:46pm On Nov 26, 2014
@xfire
I sent you a pm a long time ago, I still await your response.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by TCann(m): 7:14am On Nov 27, 2014
TCann:
MEMO TO X-FIRE

Hi bro, longest time, no show for your thread.

It is these national assignments that just seem to have no end.

Please, your attention is needed here: https://www.nairaland.com/1037972/nnpc-recruitment-2012-here/5

Thank you. God bless.

Bro, FYA pls.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by shakol91(m): 2:54pm On Nov 27, 2014
xfire:

Please what do you mean by half-baked accounting education?
we weren't taught very well. The lecturers only give small handout to study for exam and it's a sure bet that the exam questions are in the handouts and this doesn't encourage excessive studying
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 7:25pm On Nov 27, 2014
doziej84:

@taiwolusol, how did you apply for the nlng training thing. is through their website?. when does the application normally come out?

I applied online and was lucky enough to be invited for their Test. I don't know for sure when the next series of applications will be advertised/entertained, I'll just advice you keep your eyes open smiley.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 11:47pm On Nov 27, 2014
Tnycee:

Electrical engineering what option did you do,cause am study Elect/Elect too telecommunication option this is my final year... so I think your option has more to link for your masters and I will advise you to stick to engineering
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by chemicstein: 4:06pm On Nov 28, 2014
I need your advice @xfire...I have a B.Tech in Industrial Chemistry (2.1), I really want to work in the oil and gas sector. Plz how can I obtain a good job in the oil n gas sector? Which certifications should I go for to increase my chances?...I still want to further my studies overseas but I want to acquire meaningful work experience before doin that, Is that a bad idea? Which course should I go for, with my industrial chem first degree to increase my chances of breaking into the oil n gas sector? Thank you for your time.
xfire:

Interesting story...
Still here

@nabsprada, how's service going?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Tnycee(m): 12:10am On Nov 29, 2014
frankben4real:
Electrical engineering what option did you do,cause am study Elect/Elect too telecommunication option this is my final year... so I think your option has more to link for your masters and I will advise you to stick to engineering

Power and Machines Engineering.(thanks for asking), any idea which university offer oil and gas engineering for master's degree?

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (40) (Reply)

Interview Question: 'What Time Are You Available To Start Work?' / How To Become A Nse, Coren Registered Engineer In Nigeria / CFA Candidates In The House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.