Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,360 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:28 PM

Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons - Career (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons (181165 Views)

2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. / Towards Achieving Financial Independence! / Your Dream Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 11:51am On Nov 29, 2014
Robert Gordon UK, is a nice school my dad did his Masters with them but I think is expensive, because payment is on £
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by olujastro: 7:35am On Dec 01, 2014
Ok guys, this is for my friend and former course mate. Apparently, he's d most confused guy ryt now. A mech eng graduate, concluded NYSC wit me(june 2013), and tried to get a job to no avail. He later got a PG diploma scholarship to do pet eng at IPS. On rounding off, he got MSc pet eng wit IPS as well as a $50,000 MSc pet eng scholarship to d UK. Of course he took d latter.
Now this is d ish: Just a day before going to d embassy to apply for his UK visa, he got an offshore job wit an indigenous E & P coy but as an operator dis time.
I can tell u dat dis guy is as confused as he'll right now! Please guys, ur immediate response will be appreciated.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 9:45am On Dec 01, 2014
olujastro:
Ok guys, this is for my friend and former course mate. Apparently, he's d most confused guy ryt now. A mech eng graduate, concluded NYSC wit me(june 2013), and tried to get a job to no avail. He later got a PG diploma scholarship to do pet eng at IPS. On rounding off, he got MSc pet eng wit IPS as well as a $50,000 MSc pet eng scholarship to d UK. Of course he took d latter.
Now this is d ish: Just a day before going to d embassy to apply for his UK visa, he got an offshore job wit an indigenous E & P coy but as an operator dis time.
I can tell u dat dis guy is as confused as he'll right now! Please guys, ur immediate response will be appreciated.
This is serious.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by engrsyer(m): 10:32am On Dec 01, 2014
olujastro:
Guy on my own opinion, d guy should forgo d programme and take and concentrate on his new found love(E n P) operator job without wasting time. Millions of people are looking for dis opportunity while thousands of people are looking 4 d abroad PG programme. He can always further if he wishes but how 100% sure dat he will get a job immediately after the PG. Bros ur B.Eng has offered u a food on ur table so snob dat M.Eng unless u wants to be a lecturer now. The choice is yours. Congratulations on any choice u make.

2 Likes

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by TheRealAdonye(m): 10:46am On Dec 01, 2014
This is what I call a good problem. .

olujastro:
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 10:54am On Dec 01, 2014
TheRealAdonye:
This is what I call a good problem. .

seriously it is but honestly, if I were in his shoes, I will go with this:
engrsyer:
Guy on my own opinion, d guy should forgo d programme and take and concentrate on his new found love(E n P) operator job without wasting time. Millions of people are looking for dis opportunity while thousands of people are looking 4 d abroad PG programme. He can always further if he wishes but how 100% sure dat he will get a job immediately after the PG. Bros ur B.Eng has offered u a food on ur table so snob dat M.Eng unless u wants to be a lecturer now. The choice is yours. Congratulations on any choice u make.
Experience is what counts in this industry and I will never trade it for anything.

Within 3-5 years in the industry, he would be hot cake and can switch if he so desire. Msc can always be obtained at any given time, but job offer can be a bit difficult I tell you.

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by engrsyer(m): 11:15am On Dec 01, 2014
2sExy1:
seriously it is but honestly, if I were in his shoes, I will go with this: Experience is what counts in this industry and I will never trade it for anything.

Within 3-5 years in the industry, he would be hot cake and can switch if he so desire. Msc can always be obtained at any given time, but job offer can be a bit difficult I tell you.
Bros u r perfectly on point. Anywhere in the world, experience is ahead of certs so long as u have achieved the minimum level of qualification in getting to any height except in the educational sector. Certificate can take u to some certain height in this life but experience is what sustain you up there or even shoot u beyond ur sky.

4 Likes

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Ehimenboy(m): 4:56pm On Dec 03, 2014
Hello.
Do we have the title of 'chartered engineer' in Nigeria? If yes, what is it about?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by darellrivers: 6:53pm On Dec 03, 2014
olujastro:

I was in this kind of situation a few years ago (and i touched on this a bit when I told my story before the nairaland 9/11). I had a fully funded offer to go to Oxford University AND job offers at the same time. It was a big dilemma... Everyone around me told me to forgo Oxford and take one of the jobs (it was a really great offer- and in an organisation many Nigerians dream of getting into). I decided to try to "eat my cake and have it" as they say. I resumed at one of the jobs, summoned up courage and went up to see one of the directors of the organisation (note: I got the job on merit and knew no one in that organisation). I explained to him that I had gotten a scholarship to Oxford University and it would be impossible to defer that admission. I told him that I would add more value to the organisation if allowed to go...The director was very impressed and said "these are the kind of people we want in this organisation". He agreed to keep the job open for me to return after my Oxford degree. I finished from Oxford, got another great opportunity in the UK and I am back in Nigeria now AND working in that organisation. (they kept the job for me for 2years!!!!)

Bottom line is- NEVER GIVE UP... your friend can, like me, see a key decision maker in that organisation (they are humans) and ask nicely, if his appointment can be deferred. There is no harm in trying, the worst is that he will be told NO.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 7:59am On Dec 04, 2014
darellrivers:

I was in this kind of situation a few years ago (and i touched on this a bit when I told my story before the nairaland 9/11). I had a fully funded offer to go to Oxford University AND job offers at the same time. It was a big dilemma... Everyone around me told me to forgo Oxford and take one of the jobs (it was a really great offer- and in an organisation many Nigerians dream of getting into). I decided to try to "eat my cake and have it" as they say. I resumed at one of the jobs, summoned up courage and went up to see one of the directors of the organisation (note: I got the job on merit and knew no one in that organisation). I explained to him that I had gotten a scholarship to Oxford University and it would be impossible to defer that admission. I told him that I would add more value to the organisation if allowed to go...The director was very impressed and said "these are the kind of people we want in this organisation". He agreed to keep the job open for me to return after my Oxford degree. I finished from Oxford, got another great opportunity in the UK and I am back in Nigeria now AND working in that organisation. (they kept the job for me for 2years!!!!)

Bottom line is- NEVER GIVE UP... your friend can, like me, see a key decision maker in that organisation (they are humans) and ask nicely, if his appointment can be deferred. There is no harm in trying, the worst is that he will be told NO.

Inspiring!
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by engrsyer(m): 7:31pm On Dec 04, 2014
Ehimenboy:
Hello.
Do we have the title of 'chartered engineer' in Nigeria? If yes, what is it about?
Chartered Engr is same thing as been a member of COREN in Nigeria.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by dapotemi: 10:28pm On Dec 04, 2014
I cant stop learning,i wont stop learning from this thread..God bless the OP.

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Ehimenboy(m): 1:02pm On Dec 05, 2014
engrsyer:
Chartered Engr is same thing as been a member of COREN in Nigeria.
Oh. Many thanks!

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 4:04am On Dec 07, 2014
kfrosh:
I wonder how best to move.forward with my career after a disappointing third class degree (2.37) in Mechanical Engineering. I would appreciate any useful advise or tips from my fellow nairalanders. sad cry

GO FOR A TECHNICAL TRAINING IN POWER AND UTILITY AT AETI(Applied Engineering Technology Initiative Ltd.) IN LAGOS, IT WILL BOAST YOUR MORALE AND CHANCES OF GETTING HIRED.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 8:55pm On Dec 07, 2014
please my fellow narialander help me am very confused am runining a programme on ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC ENGINERRING telecommunication option and this my final year am not fully skilled on this is just that since my childhood age i had passion for telecommunication now i see myself falling in love with 3D rendering and animation am just trying to quit it but i can't am really going crazy for it...now am just confused if this has any connection to my field of study and if this new field is gonna give me a comfortable tomorrow ...

Please i need advice..
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by olumyde5(m): 4:09pm On Dec 12, 2014
nabsprada:

Welcome back once again...my question is in applying for a scholarship(for post graduate studies) which does one apply for first? The school or the scholarship?

Nice job nabsprada for reposting, kudos to you. I have really gained a lot from this thread
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by darellrivers: 7:14pm On Dec 12, 2014
I just got a heart warming email from a Nairalander who is currently on a fully funded scholarship abroad.

The essence of this thread is to encourage young Nigerians... those who feel that the jobs and scholarships are for the children of the rich... We are here to motivate and inspire you... you can achieve your dreams. If we could do it SO CAN YOU.

Be inspired.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by onwards: 7:04pm On Dec 13, 2014
Hi all,
I sort of stumbled upon this thread and i must accede, you guys are doing a great job here. so i registered to get better access to the experts in the field.
Alright, I am a 400 level student in the department of mechanical engineering and i'm in need of professional advice.
I got into school with the aim of graduating with a first class honors b.eng degree but unfortunately, along the line i just suddenly lost focus on my chosen career path. A part of me wanted to transfer to chemical engineering and the other wanted to remain in mechanical. The internal struggle took a huge toll on my grades and if i were to be honest with myself, a first class would be a tall order right now. I still stuck with mechanical engineering eventually.
I'm past the stage of beating myself up over that costly mistake and i am ready to seek advice on what to do in order to fill up the vacuum a 2.1 grade will create in my future CV.
I'm considering learning a new language most probably french.
I also want to learn matlab, solidworks/autocad and p&id .
And finally I intend to learn a programming language (most probably Java).
I want to know from the experts if i'm towing the right lane or if there is something more i need to do to add some more colour to my future cv.
Your replies would be greatly appreciated.

xfire, darellrivers.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Odunharry(m): 8:30pm On Dec 13, 2014
nice one guys..
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by darellrivers: 8:47am On Dec 14, 2014
onwards:
Hi all,
I sort of stumbled upon this thread and i must accede, you guys are doing a great job here. so i registered to get better access to the experts in the field.
Alright, I am a 400 level student in the department of mechanical engineering and i'm in need of professional advice.
I got into school with the aim of graduating with a first class honors b.eng degree but unfortunately, along the line i just suddenly lost focus on my chosen career path. A part of me wanted to transfer to chemical engineering and the other wanted to remain in mechanical. The internal struggle took a huge toll on my grades and if i were to be honest with myself, a first class would be a tall order right now. I still stuck with mechanical engineering eventually.
I'm past the stage of beating myself up over that costly mistake and i am ready to seek advice on what to do[b]in order to fill up the vacuum a 2.1 grade will create in my future CV.[/b]
I want to know from the experts if i'm towing the right lane or if there is something more i need to do to add some more colour to my future cv.

xfire, darellrivers.
Interesting... when I read the part about costly mistake, I was expecting to see you saying you would be graduating with a pass wink. In many instances, a first class and a 2-1 give you similar opportunities. Although you may not attain your personal goal of a first, a 2-1 will also open doors.

Now, I am going to ask you a question. What did you hope to achieve with a first class? A job, A scholarship or just the personal fulfillment of finishing school with the highest possible honours? If it is the first 2, you are still on track with your 2.1 but if it is the personal fulfillment part, then you need to make peace with yourself- you can learn all the things you want to learn but it should be for personal development and not just for the CV. You will come to realise, as life goes on, that the race is not always to the swift. A first class is great but not a guarantee to "success"

I wish you all the very best in all you do- and keep being a high flier.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by onwards: 9:45am On Dec 14, 2014
darellrivers:

Interesting... when I read the part about costly mistake, I was expecting to see you saying you would be graduating with a pass wink. In many instances, a first class and a 2-1 give you similar opportunities. Although you may not attain your personal goal of a first, a 2-1 will also open doors.

Now, I am going to ask you a question. What did you hope to achieve with a first class? A job, A scholarship or just the personal fulfillment of finishing school with the highest possible honours? If it is the first 2, you are still on track with your 2.1 but if it is the personal fulfillment part, then you need to make peace with yourself- you can learn all the things you want to learn but it should be for personal development and not just for the CV. You will come to realise, as life goes on, that the race is not always to the swift. A first class is great but not a guarantee to "success"

I wish you all the very best in all you do- and keep being a high flier.

Thanks a lot for your timely response. It was therapeutic to say the least.
The reason for my desire to graduate with a first class honors degree stems from those three reasons you cited up there. The personal fulfillment part is, unfortunately, a really big part of it. I'm learning to cope notwithstanding and your reply has cemented to my resolve to get over it completely as soon as possible.
Regarding the job and scholarship aspect, to be honest i have little or no solid foothold as to how to go about them. i am inclined to think that their criteria will be different from the usual Nigerian university scholarships i'm used to. The tons of information online doesn't even help one bit. I keep sifting through them without actually making substantial progress but upon stumbling on this thread i believe all that is going to change. Information and knowledge are indeed super powers. I hope to keep learning from you all. smiley

Now that i know those skills are for personal development (although I've always had the desire to master most of them especially the french language) i'll recondition my mind to learn them for the right reasons. No rush anymore but with a healthy pace.

Thanks for your best wishes. I will do my best to stand out whenever, wherever.
Happy sunday! smiley

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by darellrivers: 10:35am On Dec 14, 2014
onwards:

Thanks a lot for your timely response. It was therapeutic to say the least.
The reason for my desire to graduate with a first class honors degree stems from those three reasons you cited up there. The personal fulfillment part is, unfortunately, a really big part of it. I'm learning to cope notwithstanding and your reply has cemented to my resolve to get over it completely as soon as possible.
Regarding the job and scholarship aspect, to be honest i have little or no solid foothold as to how to go about them. i am inclined to think that their criteria will be different from the usual Nigerian university scholarships i'm used to. The tons of information online doesn't even help one bit. I keep sifting through them without actually making substantial progress but upon stumbling on this thread i believe all that is going to change. Information and knowledge are indeed super powers. I hope to keep learning from you all. smiley

Now that i know those skills are for personal development (although I've always had the desire to master most of them especially the french language) i'll recondition my mind to learn them for the right reasons. No rush anymore but with a healthy pace.

Thanks for your best wishes. I will do my best to stand out whenever, wherever.
Happy sunday! smiley

I am glad my post was therapeutic.

Now, there is something you can still do... You can decide to put in your best in your 500L and get the best results in your class... you may not come out with a first class but it might make you feel better if you have those bragging rights wink and you can even make it into an interesting story on your statement of purpose-if you are interested in applying for masters/phd abroad... something like "In my first (or whatever) year, I became disillusioned and wanted to move to chemical engineering, but as I remained, my love for the field increased and by the time I was in my final year, I had made up my mind to pursue research in this field. I ended up having the best research project and a commendation from my professors"

As you may have gathered from the thread (although the little I wrote was deleted after nairaland was attacked), I have a degree from the University of Oxford and it was a fully funded scholarship from the University (Fees+Living expenses). Here is my advice to EVERYONE who is interested in getting scholarships...

1. Know what course you want to do and know WHY you want to do it
2. Find out which TOP schools do your course (the richer the school, the higher the chances of funding)
3. Search for Nigerians who are in that school or doing that course in another school (trust me, Nigerians are EVERYWHERE).
4. Contact these people and find out their experiences

This was the advice I gave someone early this year and he sent me an email last week saying he is currently on a fully funded scholarship abroad.

Wish everyone all the best
Feel free to contact me (I am quite lousy at replying emails but will try to)

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by onwards: 11:24am On Dec 14, 2014
darellrivers:

I am glad my post was therapeutic.

Now, there is something you can still do... You can decide to put in your best in your 500L and get the best results in your class... you may not come out with a first class but it might make you feel better if you have those bragging rights wink and you can even make it into an interesting story on your statement of purpose-if you are interested in applying for masters/phd abroad... something like "In my first (or whatever) year, I became disillusioned and wanted to move to chemical engineering, but as I remained, my love for the field increased and by the time I was in my final year, I had made up my mind to pursue research in this field. I ended up having the best research project and a commendation from my professors"

As you may have gathered from the thread (although the little I wrote was deleted after nairaland was attacked), I have a degree from the University of Oxford and it was a fully funded scholarship from the University (Fees+Living expenses). Here is my advice to EVERYONE who is interested in getting scholarships...

1. Know what course you want to do and know WHY you want to do it
2. Find out which TOP schools do your course (the richer the school, the higher the chances of funding)
3. Search for Nigerians who are in that school or doing that course in another school (trust me, Nigerians are EVERYWHERE).
4. Contact these people and find out their experiences

This was the advice I gave someone early this year and he sent me an email last week saying he is currently on a fully funded scholarship abroad.

Wish everyone all the best
Feel free to contact me (I am quite lousy at replying emails but will try to)

Ah! That's a great Idea. I'll definitely give it a deserving shot. I stand to lose nothing but to gain a lot. I can't believe I'm not paying a dime for these top notch professional advice.
Wow, so stuff like that can be inputted in cover letters?
I still have a lot of things to learn.

Oxford is a prestigious institution. You must have proven your mettle and more to deserve a spot with them. I'm spurred now. I'll definitely take your advice and I'll start now to work towards these goals.
I will mail you as soon as I complete writing the epistle mail. Thanks for granting me that privilege.
I am grateful.

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by darellrivers: 12:02pm On Dec 14, 2014
onwards:

Ah! That's a great Idea. I'll definitely give it a deserving shot. I stand to lose nothing but to gain a lot. I can't believe I'm not paying a dime for these top notch professional advice.
Wow, so stuff like that can be inputted in cover letters?
I still have a lot of things to learn.

Oxford is a prestigious institution. You must have proven your mettle and more to deserve a spot with them. I'm spurred now. I'll definitely take your advice and I'll start now to work towards these goals.
I will mail you as soon as I complete writing the epistle mail. Thanks for granting me that privilege.
I am grateful.

That's the spirit... you still have one year to "prove your mettle" in schoolwink and a lifetime to be the best in your chosen career. Most importantly, a lifetime to share your experiences and help build others.

will be happy to hear from you.

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by onwards: 12:32pm On Dec 14, 2014
darellrivers:

That's the spirit... you still have one year to "prove your mettle" in schoolwink and a lifetime to be the best in your chosen career. Most importantly, a lifetime to share your experiences and help build others.

will be happy to hear from you. email me- darrellriver@gmail.com

Thanks a lot.
You've got mail.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by darellrivers: 1:02pm On Dec 14, 2014
Hello Everyone, I shared this story before the nairaland data saga (hmmm i like the sound of that-- smiley) and I decided to share it again.

[b]One day, a teacher asked his student “What are you going to do with your life?” The student was stunned for he loved this teacher and admired him. He had never felt such pressure from his teacher before. Stammering, this man replied, “I don’t know. Finish my studies and get a good job, I suppose"
“Get a good job,” his teacher repeated. “This is a phrase I have often heard. It is the single worst choice of your generation. Happiness is unlikely to come to the mind whose goal is to ‘get a good job.’” “Son,” this wise teacher asked, “Would you be interested in some specific advice from an old man who wished he had your youth and energy?”
“Of course, Doctor.”
“Look around you. Take a fresh, hard, and uncompromising look at life as you see it. Ask this question, ‘What needs to be done?’ When you have an answer, and it may take some time to get it, then go and do what needs to be done. Do it better than anyone else does it and the world will beat down your door for your help. Then you will not need ‘a good job’; and you will have more than a career.
You will have a mission.”[/b]

Many times, we focus on "getting a good job" and then when we get that job, we get disillusioned and want something "better".. Take the advise of this wise teacher (who, by the way, was the famous inventor, Buckminster Fuller) and really, "jobs" will come looking for you! But take heed... we need to all find the balance between AMBITION and CONTENTMENT

Wish everyone the very best...

12 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Tgirltemmy(f): 1:03pm On Dec 15, 2014
My God! Where have I been all this while. God bless u all (sir/ma). Teaching and learning as it said can take place anywhere. Am getting fully loaded for 2015. Mission, vision and a purpose. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by deewon56: 1:56pm On Dec 15, 2014
tanx xo much ma/sir for been enlightn us especially we young engr team may GOD BLESS US ALL,plz am a newly admittd
student to study mech engr in
polythecnic.my dream is to
become automobile engr plz
wat r d process will i take to
achieve my dream goal.
And What Are The
Career Options For A Mechanical
Engineer?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by olujastro: 9:01am On Dec 16, 2014
onwards:
Hi all,
I'm past the stage of beating myself up over that costly mistake and i am ready to seek advice on what to do in order to fill up the vacuum a 2.1 grade will create in my future CV.

xfire, darellrivers.

To add to what darellrivers has said, coming out with a 2.1 is very much ok as u almost get same opportunities as first class guys would. But I'll prefer you work hard to end up with a very high 2.1 (btwn 4.16-4.49 GPA). I put that GPA cos during my scholarship hunts, I've seen many top overseas schools peg their minimum undergraduate GPA ranging from 4.15-4.20 to mk one eligible for their masters scholarship. (it could be less or more depending on d school)
As for ur choice of course, u did d perfect thing by sticking to Mechanical guy! No bragging.. but Mechanical appears to be the father of Engineering when it comes to opportunities. I've met many friends who wish they did mechanical in their first degree because of d privileges I've had over time that dey don't. Would av given countless examples but I'm not a guy of too many words. Though I chose mechanical out of passion right from primary 5 for particular reasons.
Summary is, the highest GPA doesn't guarantee a brighter future as u'll still av to compete out dere for same opportunities. Having worked in two engineering coys just within 1.5yrs of completing NYSC compared with those with higher GPA than me and yet to get an offer, I can only say...do ur best in school and let God handle d future.

2 Likes

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by liricyst(m): 12:03pm On Dec 16, 2014
fluxview:

GO FOR A TECHNICAL TRAINING IN POWER AND UTILITY AT AETI(Applied Engineering Technology Initiative Ltd.) IN LAGOS, IT WILL BOAST YOUR MORALE AND CHANCES OF GETTING HIRED.

Please what is the range of cost for a program there?

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (40) (Reply)

Interview Question: 'What Time Are You Available To Start Work?' / How To Become A Nse, Coren Registered Engineer In Nigeria / CFA Candidates In The House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.