Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,132 members, 7,825,552 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:37 PM

Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons - Career (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons (181388 Views)

2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. / Towards Achieving Financial Independence! / Your Dream Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by chyegems(f): 10:55pm On Dec 26, 2014
Merry xmas all! This is one of the best threads in NL. I read political science in school (though I had wanted law) but wen I couldn't get law,I opted for pol sc cos I hated any course that had maths. I guess,I just wanted to be a graduate and didn't really think of what career opportunities would be out there for me. I regret it now! Well,after nysc,I went into insurance marketing as that was what I could get. I became frustrated and left sometime in june this year. I had flair for customer service so I took a course in it. The problem is,this customer service job which I so love and have passion for has eluded me time and again. Right now,am jobless and hoping that 2015 will smile on me. I will keep following this thread. In fact,I ve book marked it. Thanks.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Jetson1(m): 3:41pm On Dec 27, 2014
Please like my facebook official page @www.facebook.com/jetson651
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 3:06pm On Dec 28, 2014
xfire:
Welcome to the new year 2014!

I will be sharing my experience and lessons on achieving the dream career of my choice amidst challenges. I will also share various ways you can enhance yourself and improve your skills. In the course of my write-up, I will touch on job hunting, good CV writing skills, aptitude test writing, interview skills, certifications, presentation skills, career progression, personal fulfilment and investment. I will also say a little about scholarship opportunities (both undergraduate and postgraduate) and job scams.
This is NOT a textbook theory on achieving a great career. Thus, don't expect text book approaches to career issues. The thread doesn't answer all career questions. It focuses on my peculiar experience and lessons learnt, including my modest career achievements, mistakes and obstacles. I will also refer to other people's experiences in many cases.
I'm still an ambitious young man, who is looking forward to achieving more in life and progressing my career. I am not perfect. I just wanna share this so that we can all learn. I hope my story inspires many. This is because I know that true life stories inspire far more than motivational write-ups. I am not a blogger and I am not here to promote any blog. Other people with varied experiences can also contribute.

It promises to be interesting, detailed and elaborate.

I also promise to update this thread at least once a week in 2014. I can't promise to do more for now. smiley

I wish us all a fulfilled career and personal life in 2014.

Hello sir... am the guy from nairaland who
requested for your number...
i have few questions i need clerifications sir.
1. during your time in the university, how did
you handle your Project / thesis report?

2. did you ace it? , if no, what then was your
grade?

3. am a computer scientist, currently in my final
year, my cgpa is well above 3.6/5 , which is a
2.1, but sir, i do read posts where people say
strong 2-1 and weak 2-1, is that true or it is a
fallacy?

4. where can i get complete Project samples?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by bidey4real(m): 6:20pm On Dec 28, 2014
Xfire Sir! and Darellriver Ma! Kudos to you and other great minded person here!

As you're contributing your effort to help people out there,may the Lord of heaven & earth make you achieve your dream in life.

My questns goes thus:
[1] Is it possible that an undergraduate student of Forest Resources Management(UI) with excellent CGP also benefit from these scholarships?. Because,not seeing scholarship for agric-related course beat my heart.

[2] Is there any age restriction to scholarships for the Undergraduates and also for government jobs?

[3] kindly give us sir/ma,like 2 or 3 websites of effective scholarship board that a student of Forestry can apply to.

And lastly....
[4] Apart from government job,which other field or company can a graduate of Forest Resources Management work?

Your response will assist alot. Thanks.....
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by justfree1(m): 3:47am On Dec 29, 2014
"The reason why most people face the future with apprehension instead of anticipation is because they don’t have it well designed." -- Jim Rohn
I am working on a new project, has unlimited income potential. I won't promise you much but you would make over $5000 monthly working the project between 6 to 12 months, and it won't affect your current job. I am simply looking for 10 success oriented persons that needs more money in 2015 to join me. Interested or needs more details send me a message.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by onwards: 9:46am On Dec 29, 2014
olujastro:

To add to what darellrivers has said, coming out with a 2.1 is very much ok as u almost get same opportunities as first class guys would. But I'll prefer you work hard to end up with a very high 2.1 (btwn 4.16-4.49 GPA). I put that GPA cos during my scholarship hunts, I've seen many top overseas schools peg their minimum undergraduate GPA ranging from 4.15-4.20 to mk one eligible for their masters scholarship. (it could be less or more depending on d school)
As for ur choice of course, u did d perfect thing by sticking to Mechanical guy! No bragging.. but Mechanical appears to be the father of Engineering when it comes to opportunities. I've met many friends who wish they did mechanical in their first degree because of d privileges I've had over time that dey don't. Would av given countless examples but am not a guy of too many words. Though I chose mechanical out of passion right from primary 5 for particular reasons.
Summary is, the highest GPA doesn't guarantee a brighter future as u'll still av to compete out dere for same opportunities. Having worked in two engineering coys just within 1.5yrs of completing NYSC compared with those with higher GPA than me and yet to get an offer, I can only say...do ur best in school and let God handle d future.
compliments of the season!! cheesy cheesy

Thanks a lot!
I appreciate the effort and time you put into your reply to that post.
I'm currently safely between the range you recommended and i intend to try my very best to close the gap between my current grade and the 4.5 mark.
Funnily, I share the same sentiments as you. I've had the passion for mechanical engineering since my uncle taught me how to make paper models of boats, planes and cars. That's a very long way back into my childhood. I still can't understand how i missed it along the way.

Thanks again for the moral support. I will give my all from now henceforth and let God handle the rest.

I also need a bit of enlightenment on this issue.
Do any of these choices of options in mechanical engineering affect a possible future switch to power systems engineering.
1) industrial production engineering
2) automotive engineering
3) air conditioning and refrigeration engineering.

Is any choice going to reduce or improve the chances of furthering in the direction of power systems engineering?

To the rest of the team:
Xfire, darellriver and all.
Thank you all, Merry Xmas in arrears and a wonderful and prosperous new year in advance.
God bless.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 10:31pm On Dec 29, 2014
Misterkay, your request kept coming to my mind this evening. I tried calling this evening, but your line was apparently switched off. I'm so sorry for keeping you on hold (for so long!). I will call you tomorrow unfailingly.

@ bidey4real and Ezechinwa, I will be back.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by gcey2k(m): 11:02pm On Dec 29, 2014
onwards:

compliments of the season!! cheesy cheesy

Thanks a lot!
I appreciate the effort and time you put into your reply to that post.
I'm currently safely between the range you recommended and i intend to try my very best to close the gap between my current grade and the 4.5 mark.
Funnily, I share the same sentiments as you. I've had the passion for mechanical engineering since my uncle taught me how to make paper models of boats, planes and cars. That's a very long way back into my childhood. I still can't understand how i missed it along the way.

Thanks again for the moral support. I will give my all from now henceforth and let God handle the rest.

I also need a bit of enlightenment on this issue.
Do any of these choices of options in mechanical engineering affect a possible future switch to power systems engineering.
1) industrial production engineering
2) automotive engineering
3) air conditioning and refrigeration engineering.

Is any choice going to reduce or improve the chances of furthering in the direction of power systems engineering?

To the rest of the team:
Xfire, darellriver and all.
Thank you all, Merry Xmas in arrears and a wonderful and prosperous new year in advance.
God bless.

Let me guess, you are a FUTO student...
if you want to venture into power systems engineering, then you have to go with ATE... That's the best option for you, though none will hinder you in furthering in that direction
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by misterkay(m): 11:20pm On Dec 29, 2014
xfire:
Misterkay, your request kept coming to my mind this evening. I tried calling this evening, but your line was apparently switched off. I'm so sorry for keeping you on hold (for so long!). I will call you tomorrow unfailingly.

I'm glad you still remembered me. Happy xmas and a wonderful new year by the way. My phone's been on; I will pm you my other line.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by lexaydfg(m): 3:01am On Dec 30, 2014
SEASON GREETINGS TO YOU ALL.

Xfire, darellrivers and every other person(s) that has contributed to this wonderful and inspirational thread, i really appreciate you all and may God bless you.

It surprising that i havent seen any question asked pertaining to transport management or entrepreneurship.

Anyway, that's where my questions will be coming from.

I studied Transport planning and Management at Tai Solarin University of Education, Ogun state with a 2.1 and am currently serving at Kwara State. 23 year old though, my questions are,

1) I don't really have a flair to work under anyone, i aspire to become a philanthropist and CEO of my company someday, i love anything that entails business and making money, but am a little bit confused now. DO YOU THINK I SHOULD CONTINUE WITH THE LITTLE BUSINESS I JUST STARTED LIKE FISHERY BUSINESS AND TYPING AND PRINTING OF EXAMINATION QUESTIONS FOR SCHOOLS AROUND MY VICINITY OR I SHOULD START SEARCHING FOR JOBS AND PREPARING MY C.V, SO I COULD LEARN ABOUT THE BUSINESS WORLD PROPER, SINCE AM JUST AN UPCOMING ENTREPRENEUR SINCE IT WILL HELP ME GAIN MORE EXPERIENCE.

2) With the kind of course i studied in school, what are the job opportunities that awaits me in the FAVOUR (LABOUR) MARKET, i.e. which companies can i easily get employed, (i know transport companies is one) what other companies are available.

3) I plan to enroll for CILT( Chartered Institue of Logistics and Transport) next year so as to boast my C.V and gain more knowledge about my field of study, i never heard about NIM not until i read it on this THREAD, DO YOU THINK I SHOULD STILL REGISTER AND ENROLL FOR IT OR SHOULD I FORFEIT IT BECAUSE I WILL BE ENDING MY NYSC PROGRAMME NEXT YEAR JUNE/JULY.
I ASKED A FRIEND HE TOLD ME THEY JUST WROTE THE EXAM.

I STILL HAVE MORE QUESTIONS, BUT LET ME ALLOW YOU TO ANSWER THIS ONES FIRST.

Thank you very much, looking forward to your response soonest.

XFIRE AND OTHER GREAT MINDS GOD BLESS YOU ALL

SEASON GREETING ONCE AGAIN
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 7:44am On Dec 30, 2014
xfire:

Happy new year boss..
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Carmal90(m): 8:25am On Dec 30, 2014
Hon xfire,pls i read mech engr in polytechnic and graduated with a nice grade,am currently undergoing my mandatory service in lagos state,, pls wat are d proffesional course i can do to enhance my academic qualification. Ur response is highly needed
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 12:36pm On Dec 30, 2014
lexaydfg:

Xfire, darellrivers and every other person(s) that has contributed to this wonderful and inspirational thread, i really appreciate you all and may God bless you.

It surprising that i havent seen any question asked pertaining to transport management or entrepreneurship.

I studied Transport planning and Management at Tai Solarin University of Education, Ogun state with a 2.1 and am currently serving at Kwara State. 23 year old though, my questions are,

1) I don't really have a flair to work under anyone, i aspire to become a philanthropist and CEO of my company someday, i love anything that entails business and making money, but am a little bit confused now. DO YOU THINK I SHOULD CONTINUE WITH THE LITTLE BUSINESS I JUST STARTED LIKE FISHERY BUSINESS AND TYPING AND PRINTING OF EXAMINATION QUESTIONS FOR SCHOOLS AROUND MY VICINITY OR I SHOULD START SEARCHING FOR JOBS AND PREPARING MY C.V, SO I COULD LEARN ABOUT THE BUSINESS WORLD PROPER, SINCE AM JUST AN UPCOMING ENTREPRENEUR SINCE IT WILL HELP ME GAIN MORE EXPERIENCE.

2) With the kind of course i studied in school, what are the job opportunities that awaits me in the FAVOUR (LABOUR) MARKET, i.e. which companies can i easily get employed, (i know transport companies is one) what other companies are available.

3) I plan to enroll for CILT( Chartered Institue of Logistics and Transport) next year so as to boast my C.V and gain more knowledge about my field of study, i never heard about NIM not until i read it on this THREAD, DO YOU THINK I SHOULD STILL REGISTER AND ENROLL FOR IT OR SHOULD I FORFEIT IT BECAUSE I WILL BE ENDING MY NYSC PROGRAMME NEXT YEAR JUNE/JULY.
I ASKED A FRIEND HE TOLD ME THEY JUST WROTE THE EXAM.

XFIRE AND OTHER GREAT MINDS GOD BLESS YOU ALL

Well, Seasons Greetings bro...
In my opinion, I feel you shouldn't waste your 2.1, just get a good job and save maybe 40% of your salary for 2-4 yrs... this would enable you to gather enough capital to start your business/ Company.

but if you already have enough capital to start up your company, then fire on bro... lol, i can also send my CV to you...
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by lexaydfg(m): 2:57pm On Dec 30, 2014
Ezechinwa:

Well, Seasons Greetings bro...
In my opinion, I feel you shouldn't waste your 2.1, just get a good job and save maybe 40% of your salary for 2-4 yrs... this would enable you to gather enough capital to start your business/ Company.

but if you already have enough capital to start up your company, then fire on bro... lol, i can also send my CV to you...

Thanks very much sir, i really appreciate the advice. No problem, here's my email address
alabialex91@gmail.com
thanks again

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 8:57pm On Dec 30, 2014
lexaydfg:

1) I don't really have a flair to work under anyone, i aspire to become a philanthropist and CEO of my company someday, i love anything that entails business and making money, but am a little bit confused now......

3) I plan to enroll for CILT( Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport) next year so as to boast my C.V and gain more knowledge about my field of study.....

Let me drop my little contribution.

I believe the Transport Logistics business in Nigeria is bigger than you think( at least from the little you wrote smiley ) as there are a tonnes of Transport Logistics Firm in the country. I didn't know this a couple of months back too smiley.
The opportunities there are abound and It's nice you're thinking in the right direction( already thinking Certifications).

Transport Logistics Firm, e-commerce Firms, FMCGs, Transport management/Support Firms, Telecoms are the ones that come to mind but your Course goes way beyond these.

If I were you, these are what I will do.

1. Start Thinking professionalism, not that you are not already.
2. Gather Test and Interview Experience as they'll come in handy
3. Go ahead and Take the CILT Certification and maybe an NIM course/Certification
4. Learn another Language(Probably French)

Cheers smiley
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by lexaydfg(m): 9:10pm On Dec 30, 2014
taiwolusol:

Let me drop my little contribution.

I believe the Transport Logistics business in Nigeria is bigger than you think( at least from the little you wrote smiley ) as there are a tonnes of Transport Logistics Firm in the country. I didn't know this a couple of months back too smiley.
The opportunities there are abound and It's nice you're thinking in the right direction( already thinking Certifications).

Transport Logistics Firm, e-commerce Firms, FMCGs, Transport management/Support Firms, Telecoms are the ones that come to mind but your Course goes way beyond these.

If I were you, these are what I will do.

1. Start Thinking professionalism, not that you are not already.
2. Gather Test and Interview Experience as they'll come in handy
3. Go ahead and Take the CILT Certification and maybe an NIM course/Certification
4. Learn another Language(Probably French)

Cheers smiley
Thanks boss, i will do just that. thanks 4 d advice really appreciate
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by temi4fash(m): 12:41am On Dec 31, 2014
Good day Xfire, darellrivers and every other person(s) that has contributed to this wonderful and inspirational thread,

I have been following these thread from the beginning before the NL hack.. i want to sincerely appreciate u guys may God cont to bless you and increase you.

Please Sirs/Ma, i am recent graduate of Electrical Electronics Engr and presently serving in ilorin and i intend to go for PMP certification but i wanna what value it would add to me because when i was researching about it i saw something about Prince2 pls what is the difference and which has more economic advantage for me as regards Nigeria. I also took your advice about the NIM and have started the process of enrolling.

Thanks and God bless.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Odunharry(m): 11:04am On Dec 31, 2014
A happy new year to you all...it
been a nice 2014 with you
guys....love you all
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by peter1994(m): 1:58pm On Jan 01, 2015
happy new year people.

May the all mighty God shower his unlimited favour on us all throughout the days of 2015.

@ xfire thanks for the wonderful contributions.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by gcey2k(m): 7:37pm On Jan 01, 2015
engrsyer:
I am interested but can u purchase d form for me and finish every other processes dat is involve den wen i start work and got paid for like six months den i will give u my two months salary as appreciation.

I just liked your comment...

2 Likes

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by sexybash(f): 9:13pm On Jan 02, 2015
I love this thread
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jan 03, 2015
Kudos to all* please advise: i did ART in my secondary school,but currently i'm studying business administration in polytechnic ND1, i wish to write another jamb this year my question is: 1.should i wait for direct entry or register for jamb 2.which course is better between business administration and english in labour market to quickly get job an well pay..tnx
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Bigdreams(m): 2:36pm On Jan 03, 2015
Sadia1992:
Kudos to all* pls advise: i did ART in my secdary skul,bt currently studying bus admin in poly ND1, i wish to write anoda jamb dis year my que is 1.sud i wait 4 d.e or reg. 4 jamb 2.wich course is better btw bus admin an english in labour market to quickly get job an wel pay..tnx

Please,

Kindly state your question in understandable English.

Stop all the abbreviations, it doesn't help and will not help you at all. Continuing this will destroy your writing ability.

Even if you are making use of a mobile phone, take the pains to write your words/sentences in complete form.

Can you kindly rewrite please?

Thanks.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by enet1(m): 4:19pm On Jan 03, 2015
McWhillion:

Can u Tell me the problem you encountered so I could correct it.
pls send the documents to tayowumi@yahoo.com
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jan 03, 2015
Kudos to all* please advise: i did ART in my secondary school,but currently i'm studying business administration in polytechnic ND1, i wish to write another jamb this year my question is: 1.should i wait for direct entry or register for jamb 2.which course is better between business administration and english in labour market to quickly get job an well pay.thank you.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jan 03, 2015
Bigdreams:

Please,

Kindly state your question in understandable English.

Stop all the abbreviations, it doesn't help and will not help you at all. Continuing this will destroy your writing ability.

Even if you are making use of a mobile phone, take the pains to write your words/sentences in complete form.

Can you kindly rewrite please?

Thanks.

Kudos to all* please advise: i did ART in my secondary school,but currently i'm studying business administration in polytechnic ND1, i wish to write another jamb this year my question is: 1.should i wait for direct entry or register for jamb 2.which course is better between business administration and english in labour market to quickly get job an well pay..tnx

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (40) (Reply)

Interview Question: 'What Time Are You Available To Start Work?' / How To Become A Nse, Coren Registered Engineer In Nigeria / CFA Candidates In The House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.