Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,618 members, 7,827,316 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:30 AM

Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons - Career (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons (181403 Views)

2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. / Towards Achieving Financial Independence! / Your Dream Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Shinasijison: 11:06pm On Jan 29, 2015
FINANCIAL MODELLING

Register Now!

Lagos Weekend Classes 7th & 8th February

Financial models can be constructed in many ways, either by the use of computer software, or with a pen and paper. What's most important, however, is not the kind of user interface used, but the underlying logic that encompasses the model. A model, for example, can summarize investment management returns, such as the Sortino ratio, or it may help estimate market direction, such as the Fed model.
Financial modeling demands a logical consistent approach and this workshop builds a financial analysis and a valuation model through a series of practical stages. Upon completion, delegates will have a comprehensive understanding of financial modeling, as well as how each technique can applied.
At Sijison Training, Our training session is delivered by certified and highly experienced trainers. Our class is always interactive and based on practical experience. Our training covers all the areas you need to be a successful Personnel and provides an invaluable base upon which to build.

Register with us today to Learn More

The course covers:
• Cash flow modeling
• Determining debt capacity
• Developing key outputs for credit analysis
• Scenario analysis
• Guidelines for good modeling practice
• Excel tips and tricks
• Financial modeling methodology

Who Should Attend?
• Project Finance Companies
• Finance KPO’s
• Individual involve in financial decision making/planning (Management Level)
• Investment Bankers
• Project Finance Persons
•Equity Research

Register For Our January Training Session and Enjoy a 20% Discount
Please Visit: www.sijisontraining.com or call +234– 8180224477, 09092777877 BBPin: 33422647, 21B704A5 or send us an email: training@sijisontraining.com for more details

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by adibababa1: 4:20pm On Jan 30, 2015
Are you an applicant from kogi east?does your father,mother,uncle,Aunty or any relatives has political to support the political ambitions of the Dg Nasrda airport road Abuja.Grab the opportunity to to talk to them to present your cv to the Dg and you are employed.Requirement:you must be an igala from kogi east,you must have somebody capable of influencing Dg senatorial ambitions,and his future governertorial ambitions.even husbands and wives can be employed because it happen recently there.you can claim another state to make it easier.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Huw(m): 3:16pm On Jan 31, 2015
McWhillion:
Sign up for dropbox first, it's not convenient sending a 0.82 mb file to everyone.

Am also interested in the PDF file, pls mail me a copy johnfeni@yahoo.com
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by TheCode(m): 12:33am On Feb 02, 2015
Please you all should stop clogging up this thread with your advertisements. I am not against what you do, but there are there are better ways of getting the ℹnformation across to people, for example you can open your own thread - it's free. There is also the advert section, created exclusively for posts like these. Please let us respect the thread and the vision behind it. It's mission is not yet over, so I don't see why you all should be erecting different billboards here as if it's an abandoned land. Please... I am appealing to the nobler part of your personalities. We don't need to involve the mods yet .One love.

2 Likes

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 1:11am On Feb 02, 2015
liricyst:

Please what is the range of cost for a program there?

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by nerdyorion: 1:03pm On Feb 02, 2015
An IT firm in Ikeja, Lagos desires to employ a female fresh graduate (Awaiting NYSC, Serving or recently completed NYSC)

- Strong knowledge of IT, preferably a background in computer science, engineering or other relevant disciplines
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Tools (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Customer Service / Relationship Skills
- Social Media savvy
- Not more than 28 years.
- Knowledge of Business Development is a plus.

Please send CV to info@mobilixe.com on or before Thursday 6th of February 2015.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by reachnaija: 11:43am On Feb 03, 2015
I need serious bloggers - experienced, fun and professional - 0806 874 7333 / 0902 865 3466
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by damsie(f): 1:42pm On Feb 03, 2015
Dear friend and subscriber,

Do you want to start earning unlimited income without any stress from the comfort of your bedroom?
Then be prepared to sack that your bossy boss at work. Here is how: I am often moved by the rate of unemployment in our nation, after going through the different rigours of life to study and make a headway in life,  unemployment sets in. That is one of the major reasons why I came up with these offers because I want the youths  out there that are unemployed to enjoy from what has turn me into an overnight millionaire.

If you are going for this offer, be prepared you will become the toast of the world and you will be subject to envy because you will be made for life.
This offer is one is one of its kind in Nigeria and the offer is very limited, because no internet guru will give you all am offering at that very ridiculous price, take this advantage before it expires.

Here are some of the benefits you stand to enjoy when you order for this comprehensive package

1) how to fund your liberty reserve account with credit cards

2)the $200 a day cash machine system

3) mobile profits system, how to earn a guaranteed #5,000 to #10,000 daily your mobile phone.

4) how to raise money online from a donor agency.

5) free oversea study programme up to PHD level free.

6) how to get free computer from an NGO based in united kingdom (uk) without paying a dime or kobo

7) sources of cheap but brand new laptops for #10,000 _#15,000 or where to start importing laptops for $100 _ $300 abroad.

cool how to enjoy free airfare, free accomodation, grants  etc as agent to a south africa engineering company.

9) where to get paid to #100,000 monthly as agents to online shopping mart in nigeria.

10) access to 50 top -on- demand  products with re-sale rights

11) website for purchase of used 'tokunbo' cars as low as $500

12) free software source you can sell

13) website for free cars in usa, uk and canada

14) membership link of profitable clubs.

Click here to order and to veiw some other benefits u stand to enjoy when you purchase this ebook.

NOTE: I only need 20 slots after which the price goes up and later the door closed. Grab yours fast!!!

http://www.infobiznaija.com/oyinda/
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Shinasijison: 10:27pm On Feb 03, 2015
Lagos Weekend Classes on 7th, 8th, 20th and 21st February

Sijison Training offers a comprehensive and detailed training on Business Analysis; this Comprehensive Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP/CCBA) Program is aligned with the industry standard Business Analysis Body of Knowledge® Guide (BABOK®).
Participate in our Business analysis Training and get expose to the following: Business Systems Analysis assignment using tools, Methodologies and Techniques in Software Development Life Cycle Phases. You'll delve into the role and responsibilities of the Business analyst (BA)- the communication link between all Business areas and a Critical player in Project success. Learn Techniques for ensuring Project success every step of the way-from identifying and analyzing potential systems applications.
You will learn to Perform key functions of the business analyst by applying a business analysis framework and Conduct a business needs analysis.
Also you will apply business analysis techniques to identify key problems and evaluate the feasibility of business initiatives and Optimize organizational performance and realize benefits downstream.
MODULES COVERED:
• BA Introduction
• BA Elicitation
• Process Modeling
• Requirement Documentation
• Solution Assessment
• Enterprise Analysis
• Management and Communication
• Solution Validation and Acceptance

What you will learn:
• Perform key functions of the business analyst by applying a solid business analysis framework
• Conduct a business needs analysis to elicit stakeholder requirements
• Apply business analysis techniques to identify key problems and potential opportunities in your enterprise
• Create effective requirements and communication plans
• Analyze and specify requirements using industry best practices
• Manage solution assessment and validation
• How the exams are constructed, what they cover, and important exam practices to keep in mind
• Increase your comfort in the exam environment through drills and practice exams
• Underlying structure of the BABOK® Guide and tips for remembering it
• Develop a practical plan for exam preparation that is customized to your needs

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by suzelle: 3:57pm On Feb 04, 2015
Need a very good paying part time job, register at http://www.cashripe.com/?id=Suzelle its easy, free n fun
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Bigdreams(m): 5:51pm On Feb 04, 2015
Please,

While I am not against anyone promoting his or her business or training programmes, I want to humbly crave your indulgence that you should kindly stop advertising on this thread.

This thread is very crucial to its present and would-be readers.

Filling it up with your posts might tend to derail the good work Xfire started.

Please, kindly take note.

Thanks.

4 Likes

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Sirgenerouz(m): 3:28pm On Feb 05, 2015
Have you ever taught of making money online but was cut short by doubt? well it is very possible, here is how you can make up to 150,000 naira monthly from the comfort of your home.
The following guides are available to guide you in becoming the newest millionaire in a matter of months.
1.The Secret To Making 100k Monthly With Bulk SMS
2.INSTANT CASH SECRETS
3.How To Start Electronics Importation Business From The Comfort Of Your Home With Less Than N10,000 Online, And Have Your Items Shipped To Your Door-Step In Less Than 5 Days!
4.How To Get A World-Wide Accepted
Visa Prepaid Card For Your Online Transactions In Nigeria.
5.How To Make An Extra $412 a Week Thanks To Fiverr.com
6.How To Create Mini Websites In Less Than 60 Minutes.
7. HOW TO MAKE NOTHING LESS THAN 450,000 NAIRA ON FOOTBALL BETS
all these and more will be in your possession, and you know what that means. what are you waiting for? get started here www.netbiznaija.com/ishola/
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by mainestman: 3:39pm On Feb 06, 2015
The truth is that a lot of big companies would rather get temporary/contract staff, and a lot of people end up being full time staff, saves them the stress of employing someone fully who doesnt fit it with their cutlure. If you're interested visit @tempjobs on twitter for the latest temporary jobs in Nigeria
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by mainestman: 3:39pm On Feb 06, 2015
@tempjobsng
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by boyebussy: 11:10pm On Feb 06, 2015
@damusie pls this fiverr cash secret will I just search for it and start because we can't click on it
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by supoadexy: 12:52pm On Feb 07, 2015
Let me share this with everybody here so I don’t look selfish. I just got a job at the Nigeria office of a multinational private equity firm. Pay and benefits is very ok….lol…I wnt say more than…its good!
I never applied for the job and seriously don’t know anything about them until now. There is this Institute that sent me an sms early November last year…Institute of Finance and Strategic Business Management…to take a short online course on Global Finance and Investments .

How they got my number and details I don’t know. They said I am one of the top hundred selected for the category. Programme fee was meant to be N96,000 but they said the scheme comes with 90% discounts, so I paid just N9,600.
I took the course that spanned for 8 weeks online ( on my tab) and seriously it was worth more than a million naira to me. I got a certificate in the course and to my surprise less than two weeks after completion I got a call from my present place of work that i was invited on the professional recommendation of the Institute for a management trainee position.

The short course was like an expo for the Interview ..thank God I took it seriously. I think they have schemes in management, finance, accounting etc. They are very thorough … maybe this can help someone. You can send email for further details or your cvs to their enquiries@ifsbm.org.ng. or visit their website and get a contact num there. Even if you don’t get a job through it like I did I’m sure you will love the knowledge. All the best guys. Supo Adeagbo (supoadeagbo@yahoo.com)
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by enet1(m): 7:53pm On Feb 07, 2015
Pls anyone who has written any KPMG test should inform me if the test is shl,gre,gmat or any other format.Pls I need the info asap.God bless us all
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by TheCode(m): 9:05am On Feb 08, 2015
Bigdreams:
Please,

While I am not against anyone promoting his or her business or training programmes, I want to humbly crave your indulgence that you should kindly stop advertising on this thread.

This thread is very crucial to its present and would-be readers.

Filling it up with your posts might tend to derail the good work Xfire started.

Please, kindly take note.

Thanks.

They no go hear now.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by TheCode(m): 9:15am On Feb 08, 2015
supoadexy:
Let me share this with everybody here so I don’t look selfish. I just got a job at the Nigeria office of a multinational private equity firm. Pay and benefits is very ok….lol…I wnt say more than…its good!
I never applied for the job and seriously don’t know anything about them until now. There is this Institute that sent me an sms early November last year…Institute of Finance and Strategic Business Management…to take a short online course on Global Finance and Investments .

How they got my number and details I don’t know. They said I am one of the top hundred selected for the category. Programme fee was meant to be N96,000 but they said the scheme comes with 90% discounts, so I paid just N9,600.
I took the course that spanned for 8 weeks online ( on my tab) and seriously it was worth more than a million naira to me. I got a certificate in the course and to my surprise less than two weeks after completion I got a call from my present place of work that i was invited on the professional recommendation of the Institute for a management trainee position.

The short course was like an expo for the Interview ..thank God I took it seriously. I think they have schemes in management, finance, accounting etc. They are very thorough … maybe this can help someone. You can send email for further details or your cvs to their enquiries@ifsbm.org.ng. or visit their website and get a contact num there. Even if you don’t get a job through it like I did I’m sure you will love the knowledge. All the best guys. Supo Adeagbo (supoadeagbo@yahoo.com)

Na wah o. They come in all manner of guises now angry

2 Likes

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Funpeter: 11:38pm On Feb 08, 2015
TheCode:

Na wah o. They come in all manner of guises now angry
was funny is the 90 percent discount.

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by oshdot(m): 5:59pm On Feb 09, 2015
I have been an avid follower of this thread since its inception and I must confess that xfire, Bigdreams, Darellrivers, TheRealAdonye and other notable contributors have touched lives in unimaginable ways.

I have read well crafted opinions cum professional advice you people chun out on this thread every now and then and I think I need one those right now. I'm a graduate of Mechanical engineering, though I finished with a CGPA of 3.29/5, I have never for once allowed my finishing with a 2.2 detter me from pursuing my dream of becoming a true professional in a not too distant future. The journey hasn't been smooth though as I have had to settle for a maintenance technician job in a rather small FMCG company for the time being. Though I get paid a very small salary, one thing the job has helped me to discover is the line of Mechanical engineering I would really love to pursue a career - Plant Maintenance and asset management with a a great desire to get certified as Reliability engineer someday.

My concern right now is my job responsibility as it only requires me to work as a technician meaning I don't get to carry out the maintenance functions of a maintenance engineer viz planning, designing, scheduling and monitoring of preventive and predictive maintenance programs, hence I feel the need for me to pursue professional trainings. But the only trainings available are administered online, so do you think potential employers would fancy such trainings as I would be spending a lot to undertake them, or I should just wait till a job opportunity where I would fully work in the capacity of a maintenance engineer presents itself and then learn through the ropes?

Thanks for your time, your opinions and advice would be really appreciated.

NB: Apologies for the long write up, just really feel I need to come out clear enough.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by TheCode(m): 7:01am On Feb 12, 2015
Funpeter:
was funny is the 90 percent discount.

My brother I tire o
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by MissDetermined: 10:02am On Feb 13, 2015
This thread has not only impacted lives but has also served as an eye opener that will re-shape destinies...Kudos to xfire,darellrivers,bigdreams and all other contributors of the thread.

You have a new message ma'am@darellrivers,please kindly check your email as I await your prompt response

Yours truly.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by yetundefadeyi(f): 10:28am On Feb 13, 2015
Hello FRIENDS,
WHAT DO YOU REALLY WANT?
A JOB OR A CAREER

DO NEBOSH IGC TODAY!
Atlantic Solutions Limited is offering the REAL NEBOSH Level 3 International General Certificate for #230,000 including fantastic lunch and refreshments. The first five people from this platform to register gets NEBOSH for #200,000
THIS IS REAL NEBOSH with very comprehensive trainings and practicals leaving you at the end of the course an expert and not a quack.
Guaranteed 99.9% pass, no REPEAT.

This is an opportunity that should not be traded! TELL your friend to tell their friends' friend about it! Paint a future or help someone paint a FUTURE. Hurry while it lasts till the end of the month! Grab the opportunity with both hands! you can also pay instal mentally. Classes start on the 16th–27th Mar., 2015.

Call or text 08182020857 for more details.
BBM: 534A1F42
info@atlanticsolutions-nl.com
WHO SHOULD ATTEND: Managers, supervisors, graduates both employed and unemployed, students and individuals giving them the skills and know-how to fulfill their health and safety responsibilities in any country and in any kind of organization. Also suitable for those embarking on a career in health and safety.

.....I do not want a job, I want a career
Safety is priceless, training is key.

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Frakpa36: 11:36am On Feb 13, 2015
BEST OPPORTUNITY TO FINANCIAL FREEDOM
Hello people! I am looking to partner with 25 people who have winning and i-can-do mentality and would like to experience financial freedom by late-march 2015. If you are SERIOUS about changing your circumstances, out of a job, fed up with your current job, open to ideas, coachable and ready to work hard, want to be in a business with no limits to your earning potential, lots of international travels (a major trip to the Sun city by September 2015, plus many more) and the opportunity for the 25 people to earn 30% of the Company's Revenue every month for life among other bonuses and commissions then send your email enquiries to jobprovidersandbizorg@gmail.com! Return on investment is very high as you can break even within your first 1 month. SERIOUS ENQUIRIES ONLY PLEASE and be ready to start this February so you can join the training and start earning. Though in the present day Nigeria it is pretty hard to trust anyone rest assured this is no FLUKE as testimonies you will hear will marvel you! Please note: "Whatever money you will invest still remains yours as you will get it back! Do not pay a dime until you are CONVINCED! A trial will convince you. Just 25 persons...!
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by yetundefadeyi(f): 11:56am On Feb 13, 2015
Seun (not real name), a 26 year old Mechanical Engineer from Ibadan polythechnic, recently passed his NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety.

Seun’s achievement was important to him as it helped him secure a new position and a step up the career ladder.

Seun was surprised when he learned of the additional significance of his success.
“It just shows how much good health and safety knowledge there is out there,” he told us. “It’s not like it’s a throwaway two day course where you’re given a certificate for attending. You have to study hard and take exams and assessments to gain your NEBOSH Certificate.”

Seun recently began working for engineering, project management and consultancy company AMEC, in the area of mechanical design. It’s the kind of role he’s been looking for.

He worked hard to gain an OND and HND in Mechanical Engineering.

Seun believed his degree would open up more opportunities for him. He is a contractor, so it’s important for Seun to demonstrate his qualities to prospective employers.

“I sent my CV off and I got one or two replies, but nothing certain,” explained Seun. “I think every qualification and every piece of experience and knowledge is
important, so I decided to go for my NEBOSH Certificate too. I knew it was a qualification that was recognised and respected.”
For the position at AMEC, a good understanding of health and safety management was vital. Ensuring compliance with Construction, Design and Management (CDM) regulations, for example, features heavily in Seun’s day-to-day activities.

“As soon as I put NEBOSH on my CV I was offered four different jobs straightaway,” he said. “Now I’m forever getting phone calls and emails asking me to apply for jobs. My NEBOSH Certificate has certainly opened doors for me.”

Seun says he’s happy as an engineer, but is also pleased to have another career option in health and safety thanks to his NEBOSH qualification. He thinks he’ll go on to take a NEBOSH Diploma course in the future.

THIS CAN BE YOU TOO! REGISTER FOR NEBOSH NOW!
NEBOSH IGC is still on!!!!!!! First five people to register from this platform gets to pay #200,000 as against #230,000 and we have an instalment plan for you in place.
REGISTER TODAY AND BUILD A WORTHWHILE CAREER
Call 0818 202 0857
or visit us at 554A, Aina Akingbala Street, Omole Phase Two, Ikeja
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Buildingthelife(m): 9:36pm On Feb 13, 2015
During our kindergarten and high school levels, we probably had a lot of dreams about how our lives, from how big a house we would live in, to the flashy cars we would ride in and our professional careers as well, we would always say to our parents about our dream to become a doctor, a lawyer, an engineer, a nurse or even a pilot, but as we grow older, we begin to see life for what it is, and as a result our dreams become nothing more than a reverie. After reading this post, you will be able to understand that finding your dream job is far from impossible but can be very demanding and may prove difficult.

How To find Your dream job

Learn About Yourself: Know what you are able to do even when you aren’t getting paid. Not just something you are good in, but something you do best. Know your weaknesses, and your strengths, and see whether you fit into that department.

Look In To Other Jobs: It is best to look into other jobs that give you similar feelings, for example, if you dream of getting a job as a physicist, it is best not to be limited to that idea alone, enlarge our greatness possibility by searching for other jobs related to the field like astronomy, hydrology, engineering and a host of other synonymous professions.

Look At Your Educational Qualifications: Find out if your options meet the requirement for the job, if it doesn’t, you can simply apply for internships to boost your experience, or further your education.

Start Early: Early search for your dream jobs can be just what you need. The early period of one’s life, I think is the best time to find that dream job.

Financial Factor: Although am someone that would advise anyone who does not have at all (money I mean), to take a job even with a little pay, but in case where you spend more than the income for a particular job, don’t settle for it. Look into other jobs related to your calling.

With all this, I think you know the perfect job for you now. Let’s get on to the next part.

How To Get Your Dream Job

While finding a job is an aspect, getting the job is another aspect. I am sure you want no compromises right? I’ll show you how to get it.
Read Complete post here>>>>>> http://buildingthelife.com/how-to-find-and-get-your-dream-job/
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 12:05pm On Feb 16, 2015
(D) EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATION
Most books will advise that you that you place work experiences before educational background. But for a recent graduate with little or no experience (maybe only NYSC and internship experience) , it is better too place your educational background before experience. There is no hard and fast rule about it anyway. You will need to supply your
• Name of institution (where you obtained you MSc, BSc, WASSCE/ NECO). You don't need to include primary education except if required
by the organization.
• Degree obtained and year you obtained the degree
• Grade obtained: Due to the fact that I had a very good CGPA (despite not graduating with a first class), I always include my CGPA because I think it's a selling point for me. If you missed 2.1 or 1.1 narrowly, then I advise you include your CGPA. if you have a very high CGPA, please do include it e.g. 4.8 /5.0! If you have a low grade (third class or pass), you may decide to omit it so that it won't serve as a disadvantage (you might not be there to defend yourself when you are screened out!). I have seen 2.2 graduate simply write 'Second class (Hons)' on their CV without including the 'lower'. Again, the level of detail you supply for your grades depend on your judgment, so far as you don't lie

I continue………………

I will be talking about the lessons I learnt from my various interviews, both the successful and unsuccessful ones. I have about 12+ lessons to share. I will be sharing them gradually as time permits. This is particularly for recent graduates.

Lesson #1: Don't be too modest, display confidence
The reason you applied for the job is because you believe you are the best for it. It doesn't matter if you are a graduate with no experience. If you believe you are the most fitted for the role, then show it during the interview. Never get intimidated by the credentials of fellow interviewees like you. With my 'ordinary' 2.1 degree, I have been in two interview venues with candidates who had first class with relevant experiences and/or MSc degrees. And in both cases, I was picked ahead of them. This also applies to aptitude tests. Never get intimidated by the crowd. Be concerned with yourself.

Nobody else will market you except yourself. Never underestimate your ability. Be proud of your modest achievement. Many unemployed graduates come to interview sessions with the mindset that the company will be doing them a great favour if they are selected. Even if you have that mindset, don't show it in the interview. In reality, the company should be doing themselves a favour if they employ you, that's if you are good enough for the job. An interviewer wants you to make his job easier by succeeding.

I, alongside a friend of mine, got to the final stage of a recruitment process with a multinational oil company. Thousands of people applied but they ended up picking only two after the whole recruitment exercise! We were both unsuccessful and we both shared our experiences. It was panel interview. He is a gifted communicator and has won many debates in the past. He relayed his experience with me. They asked him a number of questions which he answered well. Then they asked him a final question - 'why are you the best amongst others for this role?'. And he answered with 'I think I am the best because......". Think? The interviewers immediately noted that and told him he shouldn't 'think' he is the best. He should be sure he is the best. Then why did he apply for the job in the first instance? He told me he was only trying to be modest being an 'ordinary' BSc holder with no oil and gas experience. He later got a regret mail. Display confidence during interviews.

Lesson #2: Avoid the regret syndrome
It is not uncommon to make commit blunders during interviews. Having a perfect interview is rare. We all make mistakes atimes. Recent graduates or graduates with little interview experience always think it is an unpardonable sin to make mistakes in interviews. Some lose their balance after being told that they made a mistake. They are full of regrets right there in the assessment center, and it affects their subsequent performance. Don't waste your time regretting during interviews. Never lose your steam. It is never over till it’s over. You can decide to wallow in regrets afterwards but not during the interview.

Maybe except for once, I have never had a perfect interview in which everything went so smoothly. I was once in an interview panel in which I was asked to name 3 of their executive directors. Though the names are quite conspicuous in their website, I didn't know up to 2! I only knew the MD's name. I mentioned the name of an assistant secretary I just met during the interview as one of the directors and the interviewers all laughed mockingly. I still ended up being one of the six that got the job nonetheless. I was once in an interview panel in which the one of the interviewers told me point blank that my answer was wrong, and I accepted right there because he convinced me I was wrong. I still passed the interview despite that. I was once in a one-to-one interview in which the I was not able to answer a technical question. I politely told the interviewer that I didn't know the answer. I still scaled through anyway. Never lose that steam.

Lesson #3: Have basic understanding of corporate organizations
It is not expected that you have indepth understanding of the corporate world but it is expected that you are able to understand basic knowledge of corporate organizations. You should be versatile and be able to talk about basic business issues such as personnel management, work-life balance, leave/vacation, branding, advertisement, finance, profit, investment decision, labour issues, community issues / CSR, workplace safety, etc. This is mostly important if you interview is in form of assessment centers, or in different stages. Many atimes, interviewers test you by asking you scenario based questions in which your knowledge of the corporate world will help you. This is important in business case exercises, in-tray exercises, team work and impromptu presentations. This is why I will advise most corpers (especially non-management graduates) to enroll for NIM during their NYSC period, not necessarily because of the almost irrelevant certificate, but because of the knowledge to be gained.

One of the exercises in my first job interview was a business case exercise. We were given lots of information and data about a fictitious company, including graphs, tables, memoranda, correspondences, etc. which contain a variety of challenges the company face on a daily bases. We were required to study the data in 35-45 minutes after which we were interviewed on the business case. I can't remember most of the questions I was asked but one that readily comes to mind was about work-life balance. I was asked a question about how I will handle a work-life balance scenario. Believe me, I had never heard of the term 'work-life balance' at that time. It was utterly new to me. I was still a corps member then. To keep the story short, my performance in that exercise was very poor. This made me develop interest in the corporate world. I also took my NIM modules seriously.

In my next interview session after NYSC, I was asked to give a 5 minutes impromptu presentation on 'globalization and the corporate world' in front of a panel of 4 interviewers. This time around, I had better understanding of organizations and I was able to give a fairly good presentation. To cut the story short too, my success in that interview enabled me to get my first major job.

pls am a graduate of mech engine and am currently waiting for. service batch A 2015....my question is wats NIM and how do i find the trainees of this program during Service

thanks
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by kfrosh: 7:31am On Feb 22, 2015
Be like say God wan punish all of u na wey dey do advert for here bah. Be like say u nameno wan make heaven abii. Cos I no understand how u na no fit reason to dey use u na common sense @all. Msssheeeeeew undecided sad angry. Anybody wey do advert for here again na supernatural visitation devil go give am. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (40) (Reply)

Interview Question: 'What Time Are You Available To Start Work?' / How To Become A Nse, Coren Registered Engineer In Nigeria / CFA Candidates In The House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.