Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,760 members, 7,824,182 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:15 AM

Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons - Career (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons (181366 Views)

2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. / Towards Achieving Financial Independence! / Your Dream Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by radiantochi: 12:10pm On Aug 14, 2015
TheCode:

Have you considered applying to the graduate school of any university in Nigeria, then applying for a scholarship? There are quite a number of scholarships around for 2.1 or first class graduates who intend to further their education. You could explore this option.

I would love to do that especially with a foreign University but I don't know how to go about this scholarship of a thing
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 5:36pm On Aug 14, 2015
Ademat7:
sometimes typing might be hard have u consider putting info in audio file?
You are right. I have been very engaged lately. I will try and put some effort into writing some stuffs this weekend.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 6:04pm On Aug 14, 2015
radiantochi:
Mr xfire, please I need your advice, am a graduate of Microbiology, graduated with second class upper
, and I just finished my service in July, I have started applying for jobs but am confused about
what to do with this Microbiology I studied cus it has limited job opportunities even though I love the course so much
* There is absolutely nothing to fear. You just finished service a few weeks' ago. Keep applying and don't give up.

* Network and distribute your CV's as much as possible. Make sure your CV is well written and laid out. Networking is key. Do not be afraid of meeting people and asking them for help. You will be shocked bow much can come out of that. A job seeker should never be timid.

* Be open to jobs not related to microbiology. Most graduate jobs out there only require only Bachelors degree in any field. You can considering furthering your studies abroad if you insist on only microbiology-related career.

* Enhance your skills particularly your communication skills and computer skills.

* Practice answering aptitude test and interview questions.

* Be informed! Information is paramount. Many people wallow in joblessness because they are not informed. Connect with fellow job seekers for information. The job section in Nairaland is a good starting point

* Get a mentor(s) in your field(s) of interest. Search for and meet people that are professionals in the career fields that interest you. It takes determination and effort to search. You don't sit down at home and hope they will just appear. They can guide you. However, this is not mandatory.

* Again, be optimistic and don't entertain any fear.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 6:10pm On Aug 14, 2015
HEADYWORLD:
I want your sincere advise on the subject above. I have national
diploma in mechanical engineering and am also in
my Hnd1 second semester.
May this year I applied for nestle technical
training program and I am among the top 20
selected which we are done with medical and we are to report to their HR on the 1st of september because the program will kick start September this year. The
program is 18month intensive training and we
will be awarded CITY AND GUILDS OF LONDON.
During the program the company will be paying us
for the upkeep and we have access to lunch and
all other incentives. After the completion of the
program the top five student will be sent abroad
for additional 3months training and there is also
employment opportunity for the students.
Is advisable to leave my HND program in pursuit
of this, because I cant combine the two together.
And also considering the benefit that comes with
the training.
Thanks in anticipation for your sincere advise.
I have 5 questions for you
1) What's your age?
2) What grade did you obtain in your OND?
3) Where did you do your one year internship?
4) How much will you be paid during the training?
5) Do you mean that the 5 selected students will be given automatic employment while others will be given certificates and let go?

The answers will help in throwing more light to your question.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 6:14pm On Aug 14, 2015
kayceerilyn:
Good morning Sir X-fire. Please I need your advice and recommendation. Someone told me of a program Young Africans Leaders Initiative,YALI founded by President Barack Obama and well,you can take courses on leadership and how to start up a business. But it involves a lot of travels,for instance,to Benin republic in September. I'm an undergraduate in the university. Will you suggest I go for the stuff owing to the fact that i I willll be given certificates and I'll increase my network?? Will such a certificate be said to be a professional certificate??
Of course I will advise you to try your luck. Having that in your CV will be a massive boost, in addition to expanding your network and reputation. I wish you good luck wink
From what you have described, the certificate will not be a professional certificate, but will be very relevant.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by youngklem: 7:21pm On Aug 14, 2015
should you need help to further your career, consider me helpful.

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by HEADYWORLD: 8:53pm On Aug 14, 2015
xfire:

I have 5 questions for you
1) What's your age?
2) What grade did you obtain in your OND?
3) Where did you do your one year internship?
4) How much will you be paid during the training?
5) Do you mean that the 5 selected students will be given automatic employment while others will be given certificates and let go?

The answers will help in throwing more light to your question.
1= I AM 24YRS OLD
2. DISTINCTON 3.72 from Fed polytechnic Ilaro
3. at GTBANK
4. 20K
5. NO, the top 5 will taking abroad for additional 3 months training and judging from the last two set, they are all given automatic employment and certificate. my set is going to be the third set and its once every 2 years
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by crudedude(m): 3:47am On Aug 15, 2015
Been a while. Welldone xfire and other contributors.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by toyobambam: 5:22am On Aug 15, 2015
toyobambam:
Hello everyone, please I need your help on my situation. I have been reading nairaland a lot lately and it has become a very informative source to me.Please any advice is needed. I graduated with a bachelors degree in petroleum engineering in the U.S. Due some issues I graduated with a second class lower. My first few undergrad classes were tough but I did reasonably well in all my petroleum engineering courses and geology courses. I graduated last year may 2014.As an international student I decided to job hunt using my OPT, I wasn't even sure I would get a job due to my grade point average but I did. After three months I eventually started working with one of big oil service companies.last week I had to quit my job due to issues of work permit renewal and sponsorship not being processed.Even my manager and hr were confused, they didn't know what to do. i was a bit down but not distraught. The job really challenged me, I gained a ton of experience and did things I didn't think I could accomplish ....now if feels like I'm back to square one. Struggling with grades and me finally pushing myself my last year to get a high grade point Lin my major courses really changed me as a person., but sometime it leaves me and my parents Disappionted that I didn't get it right from the beginning(I was 16/17 going in).My parents are advising me to go for masters, but I always think what are my chances with my low grade point average. And I know they dont have the funds for it right now to make it happen, In meantime I'm studying for my GRE and heading to Nigeria for the next nysc to do my service while I apply to grad programs or job hunt.

Please I need your advice for anyone that has been in a similar situation.
1. What are My chances of getting into a grad program with a low gpa and how have individuals accomplished this ?
2[b][b]. What are my chances for employment in Nigeria after service?
, i have seen some many threads about the Nigerian job market being more reliant on grades.
[/b]
I have searching through linkedin for possible contacts for a over a month now, but i nothing fruitful has yielded

*i posted this on another thread, but im looking for alternative views

please i need honest advice.

Thanks
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Feex: 11:40pm On Aug 23, 2015
mickey45:

Can you give any run-down of the total cost for such online courses?
hmmm......be prepared to set aside about 30 thousand pounds for fees, travel, project work, etc.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by simiolu1(m): 3:39am On Aug 30, 2015
xfire:

You are right. I have been very engaged lately. I will try and put some effort into writing some stuffs this weekend.

My Oga at the top, I sent my CV for a review some time ago but I haven't gotten a reply. I know you are quite busy but would you please acknowledge receipt of the Cv. Also, I'll be glad if you do the review very soon. Thanks
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Inioge(f): 7:47pm On Aug 31, 2015
Please do you know any scholarship for education course
darellrivers:

I know a bit about the commonwealth scholarship as I was a Commonwealth Professional Fellow (scholars are sponsored to school, Fellows are sponsored to work in the UK). The scholarship is open to those who had first class or second class upper and takes care of everything (Fees AND living expenses). There are different scholarships but the most common ones are
- Scholarships for Master’s and PhD study at UK universities (this is the one where you have to be nominated by the Nigerian Government- it is the one that ministry of education advertises http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/scholarships-developing-cw/)

-Shared Scholarships for Master’s study at selected UK universities (here the commonwealth scholarship commission AND specific UK universities SHARE the funding. This has nothing to do with the Nigerian Government). This is however, restricted to certain courses in certain universities- you can check the prospectus http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/prospectus-shared-scholarships-2014.pdf
search for the course you are interested in doing, the university that offers scholarship for your course, go to the school's website and find out criteria for the shared scholarship.

e.g. The University of Strathclyde in Scotland is one of the schools in the shared scholarship scheme (see the prospectus link above) and they offer the scholarship for the following courses
• Advanced Computer Science
• Applied Economics
• Advanced Mechanical Engineering
• Electronic and Electrical Engineering
• Environmental Engineering
• Finance
• Forensic Science
• International Law and Sustainable Development
• Internet Law and Policy
• Pharmaceutical Analysis

If you are interested in one of these courses, all you need to do is go to strathclyde's website, find out what their criteria is and apply.

So make good use of the internet smiley and for more information, go to http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/

It is a great scholarship- I thoroughly enjoyed my Fellowship Programme

Hope this was helpful
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 11:16am On Sep 02, 2015
what advice can you give to those who studied the "non marketable or lucrative courses" especially in the Arts and Humanities so has to enhance their employment and career prospects. I need a quick response. Cc. Xfire,darellrivers and others
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Bigdreams(m): 9:05pm On Sep 04, 2015
Glad to see this thread kicking with life.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 2:27pm On Sep 06, 2015
Toyobambam, it can suck to have a bad GPA but it sucks even worse to give up and get drowned in self pity. One thing is obvious now and that is the fact that you are motivated. Just come back home, give yourself couple of weeks and plan how to tackle this head on.
If you are planning to look at grad school, prepare for the GRE and do well. Some good letters from faculty in your undergraduate institution would boost your profile. There is a thread on the travel section for students studying in the US and a good number are in a grad school and doing well. https://www.nairaland.com/2557843/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part

Wish you luck, man.

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by petengine(m): 7:09pm On Sep 06, 2015
Hello Xfire, good evening.
please is there anything like being "over qualified for employment"? I was discussing with a friend about getting the necessary certifications and Msc degree to stand a better chances for employment and he told me, if one get all those qualifications especially from a reputable university and training centers, the potential employers see such a person as being over qualified for the job and the can not afford to pay such an individual if they offer him employment so they'd prefer employing someone else with lower qualifications as compared to the former. please how true is this? Contributions from others NLers are also welcome. Happy Sunday
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Sambest2(m): 7:44pm On Sep 06, 2015
petengine:
Hello Xfire, good evening.
please is there anything like being "over qualified for employment"? I was discussing with a friend about getting the necessary certifications and Msc degree to stand a better chances for employment and he told me, if one get all those qualifications especially from a reputable university and training centers, the potential employers see such a person as being over qualified for the job and the can not afford to pay such an individual if they offer him employment so they'd prefer employing someone else with lower qualifications as compared to the former. please how true is this? Contributions from others NLers are also welcome. Happy Sunday
A company advertised for a entry level position seeking individuals with a first degree/HND holder and a PhD holder with say 6 years apply for that position, what will you call it?.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by petengine(m): 8:56pm On Sep 06, 2015
Sambest2:

A company advertised for a entry level position seeking individuals with a first degree/HND holder and a PhD holder with say 6 years apply for that position, what will you call it?.
hmmm, making sense. so what's your advice on getting certifications & Msc along with first degree.

more contributions pls. xfire still awaiting to hear from u soon
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Sambest2(m): 5:35am On Sep 07, 2015
petengine:

hmmm, making sense. so what's your advice on getting certifications & Msc along with first degree.

more contributions pls. xfire still awaiting to hear from u soon

My interaction with people, captains in their chosen industries reveals that people are too after certifications, and most of these certifications are dummy. Xfire has always said a Msc is better than pursuing certification. I believe after each degree, a work experience will be worthy.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by petengine(m): 8:49am On Sep 07, 2015
Sambest2:

My interaction with people, captains in their chosen industries reveals that people are too after certifications, and most of these certifications are dummy. Xfire has always said a Msc is better than pursuing certification. I believe after each degree, a work experience will be worthy.
I appreciate. God bless!
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nafizzey(m): 12:14pm On Sep 07, 2015
Greetings to Mr xfire and all other great contributors in the thread.

Please i will appreciate if any good Samaritan here will help me with latest/current CV sample so as to review mine..Thank you!
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by TheCode(m): 7:43pm On Sep 09, 2015
Hello house, please I need your wisdom on a choice of MSc to go for considering the latest trend in the industry and the need for 'in-demand' knowledge or skills. I am considering the following graduate programs:

Flow Assurance
Reservoir Engineering
Subsea Engineering
Offshore Engineering
Production Engineering

Could you please help me rank them bearing in mind importance/relevance, 'in-demand' and diversity of application.

The schools I am considering are University of Houston, Cranfield University, University of Aberdeen, Robert Gordon's University, IPS and OTI-UNIPORT. Most especially the foreign colleges.

cc. xfire, etc, etc. Please I am respectfully directing this question to every experienced person here, forgive the fact that I do not know your handles.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by radiantochi: 1:39am On Sep 10, 2015
Hello, I would like to know certifications a Microbiologist can get in Nigeria
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by RIchieSuazo(m): 10:13am On Sep 12, 2015
petengine:

I submitted my application to the HRM in Lagos.

Pls, is it at Victoria island or ikeja...
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by petengine(m): 10:43am On Sep 12, 2015
RIchieSuazo:

Pls, is it at Victoria island or ikeja...
V.I but presently, they are no longer accepting applications for I.T
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by RIchieSuazo(m): 1:39pm On Sep 12, 2015
petengine:

V.I but presently, they are no longer accepting applications for I.T

Thank You but its for next year February. Thats when my IT starts.. Can i still submit it now?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by petengine(m): 3:55pm On Sep 12, 2015
RIchieSuazo:

Thank You but its for next year February. Thats when my IT starts.. Can i still submit it now?
Submit your application February next year against March, 2016 intake. contact me before then, I'll let you know the format of application.
Hope you have a wonderful weekend.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by RIchieSuazo(m): 8:59pm On Sep 12, 2015
petengine:

Submit your application February next year against March, 2016 intake. contact me before then, I'll let you know the format of application.
Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

okay, i'll keep in touch
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by petengine(m): 11:52pm On Sep 19, 2015
@ x-fire
pls what is the best format (doc or pdf) to submit a CV online either through an email or company portal for job application?
others are free to respond as well. God bless!
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by simiolu1(m): 5:07pm On Sep 25, 2015
petengine:
@ x-fire
pls what is the best format (doc or pdf) to submit a CV online either through an email or company portal for job application?
others are free to respond as well. God bless!

Docx format is the best (latest file type of MS Word)

But some websites like etisalat portal would ask for other formats like doc (MS Word 2003) file type or even pdf (MainOne asked for pdf file)

So what I do is have pdf and docx CV types whenever I want to process applications
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by aghr(m): 10:26pm On Sep 25, 2015
Ok, after so long of having a bbm which i barely use, i thought it thoughtful to find some good useof the app- luckily for me, we have BBM channels these days. Hence i created a BB channel for freelancers to connect with clients & share ideas. More importantly, a community for like-minded professionals in this most unlikely place... The world is all about connection, and every opportunity you get, you should connect with people(i mean thats how they can know you exist right?). So if you're in Nigeria and looking to a hangout spot on your BBM where you can connect and meet clients and other professionals, then you should
join us on jober BBM channel today... C001E0B69
It promises to be fun, educative, and gainful... atleast much more than chatting and laughing away our precious time on social media, we can put our time to meaningful use
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by petengine(m): 11:13pm On Sep 25, 2015
simiolu1:

Docx format is the best (latest file type of MS Word)

But some websites like etisalat portal would ask for other formats like doc (MS Word 2003) file type or even pdf (MainOne asked for pdf file)

So what I do is have pdf and docx CV types whenever I want to process applications
thanks bro. pls if am sending a cover letter through email, is it ok to just write it in the email or attach to the email as Doc file?
once again, thanks so much

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (40) (Reply)

Interview Question: 'What Time Are You Available To Start Work?' / How To Become A Nse, Coren Registered Engineer In Nigeria / CFA Candidates In The House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.