Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,736 members, 7,809,819 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:28 PM

Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons - Career (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons (180923 Views)

2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. / Towards Achieving Financial Independence! / Your Dream Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 4:41pm On Jul 30, 2015
simiolu1:
I'm a serving Corper. Studied Physics in the University and did a project on ZnO Thin Films.

I and my partner worked our butt off for the project and spent a considerable amount of money, time and other resources to get it done. One of the motivating factors for me was that I really needed an A in it to make a Second Class Upper.

When the project was almost finished, my Supervisor informed me he would love to Publish a paper on it. I guess he was impressed with the quality of work we did (even though we made some errors along the way).

It's been over a year now since I finished school and this afternoon, I read an e-mail from my Supervisor (which was sent 7 days ago) informing me that he has reviewed the paper (which I wrote by the way), made necessary corrections and chances are it's going to be published soon. I was elated until I read the next paragraph/sentence which requested for 10,000naira as payment for my name to be part of the authors. And that I have 3weeks to make the payment (one week has already elapsed).

I was shocked to say the least and was honestly furious at first. However, I just went online and discovered that people pay to publish their research in journals.

Now this is my dilemma. I'm currently fiddling with the idea of a Master's degree and I know that having my name as an author on that paper if published would go a long way. I also know that it'll look good on my CV and create a good impression to potential employers.

But I'm cash strapped and my meager allawee isn't helping matters.

What do I do?
Cc Jarus, Xfire, Darrelrivers
Sorry...just seeing this. I guess the 3 weeks has elapsed. Have you finally resolved the issue?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 4:57pm On Jul 30, 2015
Sashafm:
I must say, I am really lucky to have been opportuned to stumble on this thread. Thank you so much Xfire and darellrivers etc for the wonderful inspiration.
I am 22years old, a graduate of Geography with 2.1,from one of the best federal universities in southwest. I actually had passion for Geography that was why I went to study it in the University. Unfortunately for me, I never for once though about what career opportunities the course would open me up too. I guess it has just began to done on me that Although i went for the course because I love it, there might not be more to it. I saddens me now when people advice me to go into teaching after my service year, when they find out I studied Geography. I would really appreciate it if someone can mentor me in career part to tow as a Geographer asides teaching and lecturing.
cc: xfire, darellrivers, bigdreams.
thank you for your anticipated response.
Unfortunately I am not a geographer so I might not be able to go indepth on the applications of geography in our society.

Nonetheless, a degree in geopgrahy offers you the badic platform to be able to specialize in an array of disciplines such as town planning, GIS, surveying, environmental science, hydrology, climatology, etc. You may even be able to delve into geology. You may however require a 2nd degree if you want to continue in any of these lines.

However at your young age and with a good grade, there will be many opportunities open to you outside Geography as a discipline. Many jobs today only require you to have a good grade in any discipline. At your stage, you could consider a variety of options and then choose whichever you find passion in. I have seen geographers end up in banks, institutions of learning, oil firms, audit firms and breweries all serving in various capacities.

cheers......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 5:24pm On Jul 30, 2015
Ehimenboy:
Hello everyone.
I'm a second year undergrad student in the Sciences in one of Nigeria's "top" schools. I have an inkling of what 'doing' (by 'doing', I mean 'research in') science is like in some of Nigeria's best institutions: I don't want to do (even) my masters in the country. (I'm looking at anglophone European countries and North America.) I'm from a typical average Nigerian family and to think that my financiers 'd foot schooling overseas is itself a miracle. By the way, I see myself getting through a 1. upon graduation: degree class is not an 'issue.' What seems to be the only hope is getting a scholarship (shortly before/after school by plan/hope). No visa, passport and the likes at the moment.

How do I go about it?

P. S.: I'll need answers as explicit as possible please. (xfire, darellrivers, taiwolusol et al, I've long been waiting for this time.) Thanks in advance.
Hi..

Like you said, the first step is to be serious with your academics and graduate with a solid CGPA. That way your chances of getting a scholarship will be higher.

Secondly, you need to start saving money since you come from an 'average' home. How do you go about that? I can deduce from your enquiry that you are above avergae academically. Why not apply for the numerous undergraduate scholarship opportunities and win a few? That way, you will be getting extra cash which you can save (in dollars if you ask me. Naira seems to be too unstable). They are not that difficult to win. Most of the scholarships are only open to first and second year students so if you are yet apply, plea start doing so. The saved money will come in handy when you want to write GRE and TOEFL or when application fees for schools.

Thirdly, start gathering information. This is vital. There are a few overseas scholarship opportunities in Nigeria like Exxon, Agip and PTDF (not sure if PTDF still offers overseas scholarship). There is also Commonwealth and a host of others. You need to find and get mentors who have passed through that journey before so that they can give you proper guidance and information. For instance, there are countries where tuition is free. Each country and school also have different requirements. Some schools are more open to foreign students than others. Some countries, like UK have strict policies against giving foreign graduates work permit. You need to know all these information and more. I know many people that can be of help but it's pretty too soon. Even darellrivers and tanimola22 of Nairaland will be very helpful. For now, focus more on your academics, be open to information and wait till your final year before you start a rigorous search.

cheers......

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 5:44pm On Jul 30, 2015
Lordbinsmar:
thanks for
creating this wonderful thread and sharing your useful
experience with other people.i am a 18years old newly
admitted mechanical engineering student in a OAU.am very
passionate about this course that i had to drop my previous
course (Architecture) in other to follow my heart...but due to
the high level of unemployment in Nigeria.I decided to learn
a Trade that will improve my enterpenuer skills and that will
also increase my possibility of employment in the labour
market...soo i decided to start learning
WELDIND&FABRICATION at a very big metal work
fabrication factory in the town where i live....but the nature
of the trade is very hard and physical demanding but am
ready to endure since i wud only be learing during holidays
or strike and it wont be affecting my academic work.but my
question is that,how relevant is welding and fabrication to
engineering.?can it improve my skill as an engineer.?...No
reply yet pls i need your advice.
I will advise that you continue learning. If your purpose of learning welding is to enhance your mechanical engineering skill (and not necessarily to get a job), then you are on the right path. I am of the view that people should be passionate about their area of discipline.Welding and fabrication is an integral part of mechanical engineering.

Learning welding from a roadside will not necessarily boost your chances of getting a job, but it will help boost your interest in mechanical engineering. I know a mechanical engineer working in oil firm as a manager who has a machine shop in his house. He developed interest in practical work right from his undergraduate days. Even though he doesn't require the skill in his current job, the skill has helped me in some instances in his career.

However, your physical wellbeing comes first. If learning welding is physically stressful and it's taking a toll on your health, please stop it. There are many other aspects of mechanical engineering that does not require welding and fabrication. As a matter of fact, you may never weld or fabricate as an engineer. Typically, technicians do the welding. However, you will need to have an indepth understanding of the concept.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 5:48pm On Jul 30, 2015
Seunvense:
Greetings sir...I will appreciate it if u can send copies of your writeups(including this) to this email VINCENTOLUWASEUN@GMAIL.COM...Thanks sir.
Unfortunately, I don't keep copies of my write-ups. Check jarushub.com and ask McWhillion. He has a neat copy of my write-up here. Such a great guy.

cheers....

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 5:53pm On Jul 30, 2015
I guess I have answered all the questions thrown at me. Sorry for the late response. No excuses.

I have been so inactive on this forum. Maybe I consider expanding my base from career to family section...lol. So much to share but I have not been active lately.

Later in the week, I will share one of the most defining moments of career, and the lessons I learnt from it.

Cheers....

4 Likes

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Odunharry(m): 6:15pm On Jul 30, 2015
Viewing this topic: dearpreye ( m), xfire

I hail o
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by neahyo(m): 9:32pm On Jul 30, 2015
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by simiolu1(m): 11:23pm On Jul 30, 2015
xfire:

send it to xfire2014@gmail.com. Please quote your nairaland username so that I can identify you.

Thanks. would do that asap.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by favour220(f): 2:13am On Jul 31, 2015
From all indication Mr. Xfire, you are very intelligent, disciplined, focused,smart,compassionate,and humane, the kind of man I would like to spend the rest of my life with, Please will you marry me? I'm single and 34yrs but very smart, intelligent and caring, and that is, If you are still single...

14 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by McWhillion(m): 6:38am On Jul 31, 2015
xfire:

Unfortunately, I don't keep copies of my write-ups. Check jarushub.com and ask McWhillion. He has a neat copy of my write-up here. Such a great guy.

cheers....
Am humbled.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by McWhillion(m): 6:48am On Jul 31, 2015
Seunvense:
Greetings sir...I will appreciate it if u can send copies of your writeups(including this) to this email VINCENTOLUWASEUN@GMAIL.COM...Thanks sir.
You've got mail
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by beau49: 9:43am On Jul 31, 2015
favour220:
From all indication Mr. Xfire, you are very intelligent, disciplined, focused,smart,compassionate,and humane, the kind of man I would like to spend the rest of my life with, Please will you marry me? I'm single and 34yrs but very smart, intelligent and caring, and that is, If you are still single...

Wow....you are so boldsmileysmileysmiley
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Odunharry(m): 10:00am On Jul 31, 2015
beau49:

True. can you take such step?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by beau49: 10:06am On Jul 31, 2015
Odunharry:
True. can you take such step?

Truthfully I can't....am way too shygringrin
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 10:08am On Jul 31, 2015
neahyo:
Haa bro xfire u don forget me oo...this was my post

Good day sirs, please i need some advice on my career choice, I am a 400l student on the verge of graduating with a first class degree in Statistics by the grace of God. Having read all your valuable advice given to various people across all fields, I must say you are doing a very great job may God continue to bless the fruit of your hands.
Back to my case, as a Statistics student aptitude tests has never been my fear, but my greatest fear is job prospects for a Statistics graduate. I would also love to know if there are any certifications that will boost my skills as i have valuable experience as a research assistant and student tutor in my department. I would be anticipating your prompt and favorable responses. Thanks!

As a first class graduate in statistics, I see no reason why you won't get job offers if you are good. There are many job opportunities that only require good grades in any course of study. Statistics is analytical by nature, so smart guys like you will find it easy to ace through aptitude tests once you prepare.

Having said that, I think your best bet as a statistician is to improve your computer skills. Statistics goes with computer science. As a matter of fact, some schools offer computer science with statistics. I will advise that you learn some valuable computer application packages like Excel, Matlab and SPSS. You can also learn a few programming languages and probably be certified in a few of them.

To me, improving your computer skills seems to be the most important step for you right now. When you start working and you discover your areas of interest, you can now start thinking of specializing or pursuing certifications in that career line.

cheers.....
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by AlphaMaximus(m): 10:12am On Jul 31, 2015
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 10:16am On Jul 31, 2015
favour220:
Thanks Favour for the compliment smiley So sweet
However, I think I am just a normal everyday guy with all the weaknesses and idiosyncrasies associated with men. I may not be as perfect as you think.
The anonymous nature of this forum sometimes creates an image of which we may not represent smiley

cheers.....

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by temi4fash(m): 10:22am On Jul 31, 2015
xfire:

Thanks Favour for the compliment smiley So sweet
However, I think I am just a normal everyday guy with all the weaknesses and idiosyncrasies associated with men. I may not be as perfect as you think.
The anonymous nature of this forum sometimes creates an image of which we may not represent smiley

cheers.....
Xfire,
Have dropped a messages a couple of times but you have not been able to reply them. Would like if you could help with my C.V review. So can I send it to you.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 10:35am On Jul 31, 2015
AlphaMaximus:
It is no longer news that the oil and gas industry is in trying times ; with the discouraging daily news of staff retrenchment and what not. Going by these events, oil coys will be somewhat picky in graduate recruitment. That said, I wish to ask the ask what viable skills(programming,management,certifications,etc) a graduate can attain that would give him an edge in the job market ; a first class degree doesn't seem to suffice these days.
You aee right. These are not great times for the oil and gas industry. There is massive streamlining of activities going on. Some of the major oil firms have placed embargo on recruitment while a few have gone further to relieve staffs.

In this modern day economy, one should focus more on skill security rather than job security. If you have marketable skill set, you will always bring in the money. The era of job security is gradually fading away.

To answer your question, computer programming (like you mentioned) seems to be in great demand. One of my relative finished with a 2.2 and immediately delve into computer programming. Today, he is a manager in one of the 3 major online shopping mall. He is currently scouting for good programmers, and his firm had to go all the way to South Africa to recruit some seasoned programmers. He told me that programmers are in high demand.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Odunharry(m): 10:39am On Jul 31, 2015
beau49:

Truthfully I can't....am way too shygringrin
Lol....thought a woman can do better what a man can do ?

There's no harm in trying though
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by beau49: 10:50am On Jul 31, 2015
Odunharry:
Lol....thought a woman can do better what a man can do ?
There's no harm in trying though
Some men can't ask a lady out,so I will copy this onescheesy.

Err...I don't even want to try,I will pass thank you lol.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 11:04am On Jul 31, 2015
beau49:

Lol. You don't necessarily need to ask the guy out. All you have to do is to give the guy some greenlight. A sharp guy will understand wink

temi4fash:

Xfire,
Have dropped a messages a couple of times but you have not been able to reply them. Would like if you could help with my C.V review. So can I send it to you.
xfire2014@gmail.com
Please quote your username.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 11:08am On Jul 31, 2015
beau49:

Girls are not smiling.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by temi4fash(m): 11:55am On Jul 31, 2015
xfire:

Lol. You don't necessarily need to ask the guy out. All you have to do is to give the guy some greenlight. A sharp guy will understand wink

xfire2014@gmail.com
Sent
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Odunharry(m): 12:21pm On Jul 31, 2015
beau49:

Lol....like I said earlier, no harm in trying
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Odunharry(m): 12:23pm On Jul 31, 2015
artisticallyart:
Girls are not smiling.
Things don Change bro. . Gals are not smiling tru true
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by beau49: 1:41pm On Jul 31, 2015
Odunharry:

Lol....like I said earlier, no harm in trying

Lol

artisticallyart:
Girls are not smiling.

Yes...we aren't tonguetongue.

xfire:

xfire2014@gmail.com

cheesy the greenlight path I can still manage but to outrightly tell him how I feel is a big no. I can't shoutgrin.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Odunharry(m): 2:40pm On Jul 31, 2015
beau49:

cheesy the greenlight path I can still manage but to outrightly tell him how I feel is a big no. I can't shoutgrin.
P: you can shout o. ..but seriously is it a crime? The guy might be the shy type you know
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jul 31, 2015
Odunharry:

P: you can shout o. ..but seriously is it a crime? The guy might be the shy type you know
Yeah!!! It ain't a crime but you know girls from this angle.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by simiolu1(m): 3:22pm On Jul 31, 2015
xfire:

send it to xfire2014@gmail.com. Please quote your nairaland username so that I can identify you.

You've got mail!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (40) (Reply)

Interview Question: 'What Time Are You Available To Start Work?' / How To Become A Nse, Coren Registered Engineer In Nigeria / CFA Candidates In The House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.