Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,497 members, 7,816,186 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:14 AM

"How Large Was Noah's Ark?" - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" (51232 Views)

Of What Use Was Noah's Flood If It Couldn't Stop Wickedness? / Real Reasons Titanic Sank And Noah's Ark Sailed / Are Large/Mega-churches Biblical? How Large Is A Church Supposed To Be? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:03pm On Jan 07, 2014
Adamskuty: Lol!

The whole world wasn't flooded.

They were few humans on earth by that time,let's say not more than a thousand!

And they all lived in Noah's hometown.

So only noah's hometown was flooded as the only humans on earth by then,lived there.

cool cool cool

What's your evidence?
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by MrAboki: 7:05pm On Jan 07, 2014
Frankenstein: 5000 people were fed with five loaves of bread. I'm sure you don't believe that too. The problem here is that some people are trying to use physical knowledge to understand spiritual things which is impossible.

grin

I believe that one... grin

4 Likes

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:06pm On Jan 07, 2014
pDude: I have a very little question though.

After the flood and the animals were allowed out of the ark, what did the carnivorous animals eat?

I mean, what did the lions, hyenas, wolves, cats, tigers, cheetahs (all flesh eating animals) etc. What did they feed on? They couldn't have eaten the goats, zebras, gazelles, that had just exited the ark because that would have led to the immediate extinction of these animals.

So please can someone tell me exactly what the carnivores ate for the next 3 years after they left the ark?

They ate steak. cool
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:08pm On Jan 07, 2014
AjaoMT2:

A servant can't be above his master. Jesus obviously believed these "incredible" stories and made reference to some of them (for example, the story of Jonah being swallowed by the fish). If he did believe them, and I have seen the effect of his work in my life, then I do certainly believe them.

Good point.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by adexsimply(m): 7:09pm On Jan 07, 2014
grin grin grin grin
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Nobody: 7:09pm On Jan 07, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

What's your evidence?

It is impossible for the whole world to be flooded mate. If you think it was I'M afraid you need to further ur education.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Proffdada: 7:10pm On Jan 07, 2014
God in His infinite wisdom coded Adam's genes to produce 6.5million different people. There's NOTHING impossible no matter how incredible it sounds. There are alluvial deposits on the pyramids that proves the deluge. Also walrus bones found Sahara desert. Solar system and d earth's shape was first mentioned in d bible. The credibility of d Holy book shouldn't be questioned but understood thru d Holy Spirit

2 Likes

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:11pm On Jan 07, 2014
cold:

There's simply no way any right thinking person would believe the Ark story.Even the most ardent supporters of the bible balk at the idea of discussing Noah's ark.Because the story is so riddled with inconsistencies it simply doesn't make any sense to believe it let alone discuss it.The safe option is to accept it was an allegory like many other biblical stories that have been debunked

There is nothing new under the sun. As it was in Noah's days....

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jan 07, 2014
AjaoMT2: A servant can't be above his master. Jesus obviously believed these "incredible" stories and made reference to some of them (for example, the story of Jonah being swallowed by the fish). If he did believe them, and I have seen the effect of his work in my life, then I do certainly believe them.

“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” BUDDHA

1 Like

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by wogorparadise: 7:19pm On Jan 07, 2014
Evil Brain: How did Noah fit 2 million insects (1 million species x 2) into the ark? And how did be manage to fit 12,000 amphibians, 20,000 birds, 11,000 mammals, 16,000 reptiles and god knows how many crustaceans, arachnids and mollusks into a boat that must have already been overflowing with insects? Where did he find space to keep a years worth of food for all those animals? How did he keep the meat for the Lions, tigers and other carnivores fresh for a whole year? Why did he take mosquitoes, tapeworms, guinea worms and the HIV virus aboard the ark? Did he infect himself with all those parasites, or did he force his wife and children to carry them? How come all the animals didn't freeze to death at 9,000 metres altitude (the height of Mount Everest which must have been underwater) Where did they find oxygen to breathe at that height? What did all the animals eat after getting off the ark? All the plants must have died after a year underwater, and all the animals would have drowned so no food for herbivores or carnivores. How come all the fish in the ocean survived? Saltwater fish can't survive in freshwater and the ocean would have been massively diluted with all that rain. Or did the ark also have a salty fish tank with space for 60,000 fish (30,000 species x 2)? And how did he feed all those fish?

Not that I'm doubting this ark story mind you. Its in the Bible after all, so it must be true. I'm just curious about a few technicalities. I'm sure you have good explanations for all of them.
dnt look into man for these explanations, mind u ther ar lots of stuff that ar not writen down. God reveal things that we need, to knw only but i tell u the rest u will knw by the spirit of God wen u stay in comunion with him.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Frankenstein: 7:29pm On Jan 07, 2014
phuck_NL:

You tell me to go to Genesis and read up? Here's my question to you. What proof is there besides what was WRITTEN and TYPED by MAN.
MAN wrote the bible so why should I just believe it. Isn't it possible they could have put some lies in there.

MAN wrote LACOMBES (heard from the old timers that book used to be hard) and people used it in primary school. If LACOMBES had written 2 + 2 = 7 without any proof, would anyone have believed it. Would faith LEAD you to believe 2 + 2 = 7?
If you can answer this, I will believe everything in the BOOK
Series of gainsaying will do us no good. Proofs and theories are physical things. I can't explain spiritual things with physical terms. And since you don't believe in the supernatural, there's no need for me to try and make you see things in the spiritual way.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by wogorparadise: 7:30pm On Jan 07, 2014
Evil Brain:

The numbers I quoted refer to the species alive today. If they weren't all admitted to the ark, then how did they survive?

And no, the saltwater fish could not have survived. Very few fish species can survive such drastic changes in salinity. The vast majority would have died long before all the land was covered.

I noticed that you didn't address the fact that there simply isn't enough space for even a tiny fraction of those animals to fit on the ark as described in the bible. Even a hundred arks couldnt have fit all the food (and shït) they would have gone through in a month, not to talk of a year. Also there's the altitude problem. And the post deluge food problem. And the problem of which one of Noah's family members was HIV positive.

I didn't even ask how all the animals only found on isolated islands and continents (like kangaroos, ostriches, lemurs and the various species of giant tortoises) managed to find their way to the middle east to climb into the ark. Did they swim across the oceans? Did they swim back after the flood? And how come kangaroos and lemurs didn't leave a single descendant behind in Eurasia or Africa during their long walk/swim back to Australia/Madagascar? You'd think you'd find every class of animal living around the area where the ark landed instead of species being geographically isolated the way they are.

Like I said before, I'm not doubting the story. The Bible is obviously 100% correct in every way. I just want to clear up a few grey areas.
do u knw that till the time of noah, there was no rain on earth, hv u asked urself hw plants wer waterd? But the book of genesis says that God put two rivers to water the garden, the river euphrates n tigris, these rivers ar there in asia,

1 Like

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by naira2009: 7:31pm On Jan 07, 2014
oluafolabi: This question is putting the bible in a very tight corner though. sad sad

1) If there is no explanation for how thousands of animal species including microorganisms stayed aboard that small ship then it could imply that the story was just a jewish myth.

2) If the story is a Jewish myth, then it implies that the bible does not contain 100% true stories.

3) If a myth such as this is in the bible, how can we prove the efficacy of other stories?

4) Did the good 'creator' create another set of animals after the flood?

I'm suspicious though.

Why would OlaAdegbu want to put himself and the 'holy book' in a tight corner like this?

undecided undecided

Jeremiah 8:8 says ' How can you say "We are wise and the law of the Lord is with us?" Look the false pen of the scribe certainly works falsehood. The bible is not 100% correct. The bible itself tells you that everything ib the bible is not the truth. Some lies have been put into the bible.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by naira2009: 7:34pm On Jan 07, 2014
oluafolabi:

Waiting for OlaAdegbu to provide answers. grin grin

The bible is 100% true. There must be some explanation lurking somewhere shocked .

Read Jeremiah 8:8 and you will see that the bible is not 100% correct. It never was. When Jesus was quoting the scripture was 1 Corinthians scripture? Was the book of John scripture?
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by naira2009: 7:38pm On Jan 07, 2014
phuck_NL:

Unless Noah's ark was as big as the entire earth itself, this story is a MYTH. It was written by PEOPLE. Why is it so hard to believe that PEOPLE LIE.
The same people who said the earth was flat, who said there was a ladder than connected HEAVEN to the earth?
Thank God for Astronauts, we know all that was a lie.

For those who say the bible is 100% correct let them read Jeremiah 8:8
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by phuckNL: 7:44pm On Jan 07, 2014
Frankenstein: Series of gainsaying will do us no good. Proofs and theories are physical things. I can't explain spiritual things with physical terms. And since you don't believe in the supernatural, there's no need for me to try and make you see things in the spiritual way.

If it is true and real, you shouldn't have to MAKE ME BELIEVE. Are we not equal? Why would you be able to feel it and not me? Why do I have to believe it to feel it. Am I different from you as a human being.

Maybe I should also ask you about the story you believe in so much. Do you know who wrote it? How can you tell me to believe something that was written by ANOTHER MAN without proof.

1 Like

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by LordAdam: 7:51pm On Jan 07, 2014
Certainly, some dudes here need adult supervision around sharp objects. Not to sound like I'm mocking but it's astonishing what people believe.

That an ark a little larger than two standard-sized football fields contained at least a pair of all the Animals that exist. Presently, a pair of all the animals existing, excluding those extinct or yet to be discovered, can not fit into the ark.

Then let's say a relatively smaller number of the animals existing where taken in, and the many different species and kinds we know today were offsprings of those select few, how is that not evolution?

I don't want to boggle myself down by the many intricasies that make this story fictitious. There's a sharp divide between Moses dividing the Red Sea (which can be done by magic) and Noah building an ark that accommodated all living animals.

I've had a good laugh reading through this thread, some of us have not read Jewish literature (that gave birth to the bible) you'd rofl like you'd do if you read an authentic Greek record of fables.

Serve God not for what he has, can or will do, but because you value what you have around you and want to be a beacon of joy, hope, tolerance, understanding and critical thinking; especially in times like this when people like to blame others for their misfortune or tend to be shockingly irrational.

Trying to prove God exists is foolhardy, because he most probably might not be what you posit him to be, nor do the vices you take as proofs remain infallible (a hole has/can be punched in anything you bring as proof).
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:56pm On Jan 07, 2014
Mr Aboki:

We shouldnt believe the Bible?!

Do you believe the Bible?
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by danzite(m): 8:02pm On Jan 07, 2014
Evil Brain: How did Noah fit 2 million insects (1 million species x 2) into the ark? And how did be manage to fit 12,000 amphibians, 20,000 birds, 11,000 mammals, 16,000 reptiles and god knows how many crustaceans, arachnids and mollusks into a boat that must have already been overflowing with insects? Where did he find space to keep a years worth of food for all those animals? How did he keep the meat for the Lions, tigers and other carnivores fresh for a whole year? Why did he take mosquitoes, tapeworms, guinea worms and the HIV virus aboard the ark? Did he infect himself with all those parasites, or did he force his wife and children to carry them? How come all the animals didn't freeze to death at 9,000 metres altitude (the height of Mount Everest which must have been underwater) Where did they find oxygen to breathe at that height? What did all the animals eat after getting off the ark? All the plants must have died after a year underwater, and all the animals would have drowned so no food for herbivores or carnivores. How come all the fish in the ocean survived? Saltwater fish can't survive in freshwater and the ocean would have been massively diluted with all that rain. Or did the ark also have a salty fish tank with space for 60,000 fish (30,000 species x 2)? And how did he feed all those fish?

Not that I'm doubting this ark story mind you. Its in the Bible after all, so it must be true. I'm just curious about a few technicalities. I'm sure you have good explanations for all of them.

you dont have to wonder how He did it or how He will do it, you only have to Bliv. if He could feed 5000 people with just 5 loavs of bread and 2 fishes, if He could creat the world by just speaking, if He could creat you from just dust, then Noah's ark was just a walk in the park. My God is Able!!!
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by vincencior(m): 8:06pm On Jan 07, 2014
For pets sake why would someone question the way God does his things? If christain, i mean real christians would believe that God send christ to us and believe in everything he does including the teachings about the kingdom of God and the miracles he performed, then i see no reason for this argument. Maybe i am mistaken some people who comment on this thread as true christians. May God deliver us all especially the iniator of this thread.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by mikwayne(m): 8:10pm On Jan 07, 2014
Nine words for all the doubting thomases: THE LORD GOD ALMIGHTY WORKS IN A MYSTERIOUS WAY. How dare you question the works of the only one that created you when you can not even explain satisfactorily the differen processes that brought you into this world? IN GOD ALMIGHTY,I TRUST!
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Rexyl(m): 8:11pm On Jan 07, 2014
Joshthefirst: Here's some evidence of the great flood from answersingenesis:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/am/v3/n2/world-graveyard

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/am/v3/n1/high-dry-sea-creatures

And how noah could fit in all the abimals:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab3/how-could-animals-fit-on-ark

If there had not been a link to global flood like the Noa's account, I wonder how such marine fossils could have been found in such height far above sea level
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Coefficient(m): 8:12pm On Jan 07, 2014
All these so called 'grey areas' are not exactly so. It's pointless trying to rationalize or disambiguate this biblical claim scientifically. Any true Christian will understand the Bible clearly spells out that there's no searching of His understanding. This story is just one of the many mysteries humans cannot unravel. The much we can do is debunk and dismiss it as many have done. I'm not particularly a Bible scholar but I'm a Christian enamoured by God's love. If anyone thinks I dogmatically follows Christianity, well, that's what I choose to be but I'm far from being a religious dunce or bigot. But on a flip side, I'd rather be a dogmatic Christ follower than join the ranks of atheists swarming NL.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by LordAdam: 8:16pm On Jan 07, 2014
vincencior: For pets sake why would someone question the way God does his things? If christain, i mean real christians would believe that God send christ to us and believe in everything he does including the teachings about the kingdom of God and the miracles he performed, then i see no reason for this argument. Maybe i am mistaken some people who comment on this thread as true christians. May God deliver us all especially the iniator of this thread.

Why must you be this gullible? Ask questions mister, it's different when you say I believe it's this way but can't prove it, than it's recorded by supposed men of God and so must be true.

If you ask your professor questions, why can't you ask your Preacher? According to the Bible, God communicated with his prophets, they asked him questions and he answered, the answers may have not been recorded, but surely if those guys can, you too can. Stop this laity conditioning, if you can't give reasonable reasons why you believe certain things, then you need to relinquish your certificate--it's hard to think you asked your lecturer any questions.

I'm sure that God (if he exists) would want you to know, possibly understand him. If you don't think so, then you worship a God that doesn't exist.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by donJ2(m): 8:22pm On Jan 07, 2014
phuck_NL:

Unless Noah's ark was as big as the entire earth itself, this story is a MYTH. It was written by PEOPLE. Why is it so hard to believe that PEOPLE LIE.
The same people who said the earth was flat, who said there was a ladder than connected HEAVEN to the earth?
Thank God for Astronauts, we know all that was a lie.

I dnt rilly think itz a Lie, I think there wer jst ambiguous wid d story, it cud b a matter of localized Massive flood, cuz I v alwayz wondered wer d Africans wer during d flood. Plz sum1 shud educate me more.

Am a xtian

1 Like

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Rexyl(m): 8:39pm On Jan 07, 2014
All arguments from the Bible, taken far away from the Bible will still come back to the Bible and land upon it. That is why God is God. People don't need any other proofs except the ones already spoken.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by phuckNL: 8:42pm On Jan 07, 2014
Coefficient: All these so called 'grey areas' are not exactly so. It's pointless trying to rationalize or disambiguate this biblical claim scientifically. Any true Christian will understand the Bible clearly spells out that there's no searching of His understanding. This story is just one of the many mysteries humans cannot unravel. The much we can do is debunk and dismiss it as many have done. I'm not particularly a Bible scholar but I'm a Christian enamoured by God's love. If anyone thinks I dogmatically follows Christianity, well, that's what I choose to be but I'm far from being a religious dunce or bigot. But on a flip side, I'd rather be a dogmatic Christ follower than join the ranks of atheists swarming NL.

Therein lies your problem. Who wrote the BIBLE. Lets start from there. Once you answer it, then the follow up question is How YOU as a person know that it is filled with lies/incorrect information. Put into consideration, the stories were written way before any of your ancestors. Please tell me why you believe it. Let me spare you though. You believe it because the doctrine of FEAR was fed to you from childhood. The writers used the concept of FEAR to make everyone believe their stories. "They put up lies and gave excuses such as, you can't question the word of God"
I know I can not question the word of GOD but I can CERTAINLY QUESTION WHAT MAN WROTE IN the Bible.

1 Like

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by billyG(m): 8:46pm On Jan 07, 2014
Why was dinosaurs not allowed into d Ark?why are dey allowed to be extinct,if they serve no purpose on earth why are they created in d 1st place?what purpose will mosquitoes,cockroaches,bedbugs,snakes serve that they are allowed into the said ark?i need answers.why are nothing said about pair or indains,pair of african,pair of america,pair of Asian in d ark.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by phuckNL: 8:48pm On Jan 07, 2014
Rexyl: All arguments from the Bible, taken far away from the Bible will still come back to the Bible and land upon it. That is why God is God. People don't need any other proofs except the ones already spoken.

If this trend continues, there will be less and less people that believe in the Bible and in the distant future, people will do away with it. Rather than telling people to JUST BELIEVE, we need to start asking questions. Then only can we know the truth. Otherwise you will keep on isolating people. Imagine the kids we have today that know how to handle IPADS by the age of 2 - 3. Imagine when they grow up and you still keep feeding them stories like Noahs Ark, don't you think they will one day stand up from the congregation and give you a well deserved SLAP.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by phuckNL: 8:51pm On Jan 07, 2014
billyG: Why was dinosaurs not allowed into d Ark?why are dey allowed to be extinct,if they serve no purpose on earth why are they created in d 1st place?what purpose will mosquitoes,cockroaches,bedbugs,snakes serve that they are allowed into the said ark?i need answers.why are nothing said about pair or indains,pair of african,pair of america,pair of Asian in d ark.

You wont get answers. The people on here will only tell you to just BELIEVE. The same way they believed every single story their colonizers and slave masters brought to them. Some will even tell you that it was missionaries that brought it to us : Who brought the missionaries in? No be d same slave masters and colonizers?

How come Africa didn't have these same stories until Columbus or whoever it was discovered us. Could it be that we were doing our own thing jejely in Africa while Noahs flood happened on another continent, hence we didn't hear about it? Again, they will tell me to just sit down and BELIEVE

1 Like

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Coefficient(m): 8:59pm On Jan 07, 2014
phuck_NL:

Therein lies your problem. Who wrote the BIBLE. Lets start from there. Once you answer it, then the follow up question is How YOU as a person know that it is filled with lies/incorrect information. Put into consideration, the stories were written way before any of your ancestors. Please tell me why you believe it. Let me spare you though. You believe it because the doctrine of FEAR was fed to you from childhood. The writers used the concept of FEAR to make everyone believe their stories. "They put up lies and gave excuses such as, you can't question the word of God"
I know I can not question the word of GOD but I can CERTAINLY QUESTION WHAT MAN WROTE IN the Bible.

Apparently, you chose the wrong person to argue with. I'm not one to join issues with people on public forums- at least not an unrepentant atheist bent on ridiculing God and his handiwork. I stated my belief in my first post, if you aren't cool with it, well, too bad. It's your hard luck my friend. But I do hope you see the light someday. Good luck and scurry along now.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply)

DSTV Censors "God" and "Jesus" On All Their Stations? / Deeper Life Lady Lists '20 Facts' About Godly Female Members Of Her Church / Prophet Has Sex With His Church Member's Wife And Threatens To Kill Him (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.