Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,718 members, 7,820,501 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

"How Large Was Noah's Ark?" - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" (51293 Views)

Of What Use Was Noah's Flood If It Couldn't Stop Wickedness? / Real Reasons Titanic Sank And Noah's Ark Sailed / Are Large/Mega-churches Biblical? How Large Is A Church Supposed To Be? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by AjaoMT2: 3:41pm On Jan 07, 2014
A servant can't be above his master. Jesus obviously believed these "incredible" stories and made reference to some of them (for example, the story of Jonah being swallowed by the fish). If he did believe them, and I have seen the effect of his work in my life, then I do certainly believe them.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by cold(m): 3:43pm On Jan 07, 2014
There's simply no way any right thinking person would believe the Ark story.Even the most ardent supporters of the bible balk at the idea of discussing Noah's ark.Because the story is so riddled with inconsistencies it simply doesn't make any sense to believe it let alone discuss it.The safe option is to accept it was an allegory like many other biblical stories that have been debunked
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by tomaagy(m): 3:46pm On Jan 07, 2014
Evil Brain: How did Noah fit 2 million insects (1 million species x 2) into the ark? And how did be manage to fit 12,000 amphibians, 20,000 birds, 11,000 mammals, 16,000 reptiles and god knows how many crustaceans, arachnids and mollusks into a boat that must have already been overflowing with insects? Where did he find space to keep a years worth of food for all those animals? How did he keep the meat for the Lions, tigers and other carnivores fresh for a whole year? Why did he take mosquitoes, tapeworms, guinea worms and the HIV virus aboard the ark? Did he infect himself with all those parasites, or did he force his wife and children to carry them? How come all the animals didn't freeze to death at 9,000 metres altitude (the height of Mount Everest which must have been underwater) Where did they find oxygen to breathe at that height? What did all the animals eat after getting off the ark? All the plants must have died after a year underwater, and all the animals would have drowned so no food for herbivores or carnivores. How come all the fish in the ocean survived? Saltwater fish can't survive in freshwater and the ocean would have been massively diluted with all that rain. Or did the ark also have a salty fish tank with space for 60,000 fish (30,000 species x 2)? And how did he feed all those fish?

Not that I'm doubting this ark story mind you. Its in the Bible after all, so it must be true. I'm just curious about a few technicalities. I'm sure you have good explanations for all of them.

Ask God how he created the earth, that's a simple way to answer all this question of technicality
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by MrAboki: 3:47pm On Jan 07, 2014
How Possible was it for Noah to build an Ark of that magnitude using the technology available to them at that time..

Also; How did only eight people, Noah and his wife, their three sons, and their wives, build an Ark of that size?

Remember that Noah was 600 Years old o!! grin

His Youngest son at the time should easily have been over 100 years old.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by tomaagy(m): 3:47pm On Jan 07, 2014
cold: There's simply no way any right thinking person would believe the Ark story.Even the most ardent supporters of the bible balk at the idea of discussing Noah's ark.Because the story is so riddled with inconsistencies it simply doesn't make any sense to believe it let alone discuss it.The safe option is to accept it was an allegory like many other biblical stories that have been debunked

If God created all those things in the beginning how difficult would it have been to recreate wat adam couldn't take into the earth, mind you it was human being God wanted to wipe out not insects.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by goldfish80(m): 3:54pm On Jan 07, 2014
Most scholars point out that the biblical flood story is actually two flood epics intertwined into one. However, unlike the two biblical creation stories (Genesis 1:1-2:4a and Genesis 2:4b-25), which were set one after the other in the Bible, the two original flood stories appear to have been edited into a single narrative. The combined story preserves vestigial indicators that the account was originally two separate narratives. For example, Genesis 6:19-20 states that there were to be one pair of each species of animal on the ark, one male and one female:
And of every living thing, of all flesh, you shallbring two of every kind into the ark, to keep them alive with you; they shall be male and female.Of the birds according to their kinds, and of the animals according to their kinds, of every creeping thing ofthe ground according to its kind, two of every kind shall come in to you, to keep them alive.
However, in Genesis 7:2-3, which was originally a separate flood account, it states:
Take with you seven pairs of all clean animals, the male and its mate; and a pair of the animals that are not clean, the male and its mate; and seven pairs of the birds of the air also, male and female, to keep their kind alive on the face of all the earth.
Thus, there are two different numbers given for the number of animals on the ark: one pair (male and female) in Genesis 6, and seven pairs of clean and one pair of unclean (male and female) in Genesis 7. The integration of two different numbers is evidence of two originally separate flood accounts.
Likewise, Genesis 7:17 states that the flood lasted 40 days:
The flood continued forty days on the earth; and the waters increased, and bore up the ark, and it rose high above the earth.
But Genesis 7:24, a portion of the second flood story, states that the flood remained for 150 days:
And the waters swelled on the earth for one hundred fifty days.
Shortly thereafter in Genesis 8:6, the story switches back to the first flood story, and the number 40 returns:
At the end of forty days Noah opened the window of the ark that he had made.
Thus, not only are different numbers used for the number of animals on the ark in the two Hebrew flood stories, but different time periods were given for the flooding after the rains: 40 and 150 days.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by CocoLoca(f): 3:55pm On Jan 07, 2014
Evil Brain: How did Noah fit 2 million insects (1 million species x 2) into the ark? And how did be manage to fit 12,000 amphibians, 20,000 birds, 11,000 mammals, 16,000 reptiles and god knows how many crustaceans, arachnids and mollusks into a boat that must have already been overflowing with insects? Where did he find space to keep a years worth of food for all those animals? How did he keep the meat for the Lions, tigers and other carnivores fresh for a whole year? Why did he take mosquitoes, tapeworms, guinea worms and the HIV virus aboard the ark? Did he infect himself with all those parasites, or did he force his wife and children to carry them? How come all the animals didn't freeze to death at 9,000 metres altitude (the height of Mount Everest which must have been underwater) Where did they find oxygen to breathe at that height? What did all the animals eat after getting off the ark? All the plants must have died after a year underwater, and all the animals would have drowned so no food for herbivores or carnivores. How come all the fish in the ocean survived? Saltwater fish can't survive in freshwater and the ocean would have been massively diluted with all that rain. Or did the ark also have a salty fish tank with space for 60,000 fish (30,000 species x 2)? And how did he feed all those fish?

Not that I'm doubting this ark story mind you. Its in the Bible after all, so it must be true. I'm just curious about a few technicalities. I'm sure you have good explanations for all of them.
grin cheesy why? cry
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by temi2013(m): 3:56pm On Jan 07, 2014
Larger than you can ever think. It shows the awesomeness of Almighty God
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by delmolle: 3:58pm On Jan 07, 2014
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by sunkoye: 3:58pm On Jan 07, 2014
oluafolabi: This question is putting the bible in a very tight corner though. sad sad

1) If there is no explanation for how thousands of animal species including microorganisms stayed aboard that small ship then it could imply that the story was just a jewish myth.

2) If the story is a Jewish myth, then it implies that the bible does not contain 100% true stories.

3) If a myth such as this is in the bible, how can we prove the efficacy of other stories?

4) Did the good 'creator' create another set of animals after the flood?

I'm suspicious though.

Why would OlaAdegbu want to put himself and the 'holy book' in a tight corner like this?

undecided undecided
bros...i believe in Noah’s ark as much as i believe in pyramid.

see, let check out Great Pyramid of Khufu, at Giza, Egypt. It's 756 feet long on each side, 450 feet high and is composed of 2,300,000 blocks of stone, each averaging 2 1/2 tons in weight. Despite the makers' limited surveying tools, no side is more than 8 inches different in length than another, and the whole structure is perfectly oriented to the points of the compass.

Even in the 19th century, it was the tallest building in the world and, at the age of 4,500 years, it is the only one of the famous "Seven Wonders of the Ancient World" that still stands. Even today it remains the most massive building on Earth. sometimes i laugh when simple minded call 5000 years ago folks as primitive wondered the level of technology of those time...it will simply be called great.

i am referring to the contradictions in the ways in which those long years people are portrayed as savages, or stupid, yet Scholars and scientists are unable to understand how they come about their inventions. these your so called primitive generations are have left many relics and structures that have us guessing why, what and how?

Even to this day some of the greatest creations of the past cannot be explained nor confirmed by modern science. We may have ideas, but nothing that is concrete here. Maybe Noah’s ark was built too just to mess with future generations? am so sure it does!

cheers

1 Like

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jan 07, 2014
goldfish80: Most scholars point out that the biblical flood story is actually two flood epics intertwined into one. However, unlike the two biblical creation stories (Genesis 1:1-2:4a and Genesis 2:4b-25), which were set one after the other in the Bible, the two original flood stories appear to have been edited into a single narrative. The combined story preserves vestigial indicators that the account was originally two separate narratives. For example, Genesis 6:19-20 states that there were to be one pair of each species of animal on the ark, one male and one female:
And of every living thing, of all flesh, you shallbring two of every kind into the ark, to keep them alive with you; they shall be male and female.Of the birds according to their kinds, and of the animals according to their kinds, of every creeping thing ofthe ground according to its kind, two of every kind shall come in to you, to keep them alive.
However, in Genesis 7:2-3, which was originally a separate flood account, it states:
Take with you seven pairs of all clean animals, the male and its mate; and a pair of the animals that are not clean, the male and its mate; and seven pairs of the birds of the air also, male and female, to keep their kind alive on the face of all the earth.
Thus, there are two different numbers given for the number of animals on the ark: one pair (male and female) in Genesis 6, and seven pairs of clean and one pair of unclean (male and female) in Genesis 7. The integration of two different numbers is evidence of two originally separate flood accounts.
Likewise, Genesis 7:17 states that the flood lasted 40 days:
The flood continued forty days on the earth; and the waters increased, and bore up the ark, and it rose high above the earth.
But Genesis 7:24, a portion of the second flood story, states that the flood remained for 150 days:
And the waters swelled on the earth for one hundred fifty days.
Shortly thereafter in Genesis 8:6, the story switches back to the first flood story, and the number 40 returns:
At the end of forty days Noah opened the window of the ark that he had made.
Thus, not only are different numbers used for the number of animals on the ark in the two Hebrew flood stories, but different time periods were given for the flooding after the rains: 40 and 150 days.

Best post on this thread.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by amunekeuto: 3:59pm On Jan 07, 2014
phuck_NL: The tale of Noahs ark is actually what it is "TALE"
I bet it was blown out of proportion. What probably happened was a localized flood where he probably saved a handful of domesticated animals.
If anyone believes he saved all the animals in pairs, you need to have yourself checked out. If the leaders that we have today CAN LIE to us with all the technological devices we have today, why is it implausible for people who lived centuries ago to have LIED also. The tale is a MYTH.
faith is the answer. just believe that it happened the way it is stated in the bible. period. don't add and do not subtract.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jan 07, 2014

you can not use science to explain the bible, just leave it as it is.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jan 07, 2014
Noah's ark is on mount arafat.
oluafolabi: This question is putting the bible in a very tight corner though. sad sad

1) If there is no explanation for how thousands of animal species including microorganisms stayed aboard that small ship then it could imply that the story was just a jewish myth.

2) If the story is a Jewish myth, then it implies that the bible does not contain 100% true stories.

3) If a myth such as this is in the bible, how can we prove the efficacy of other stories?

4) Did the good 'creator' create another set of animals after the flood?

I'm suspicious though.

Why would OlaAdegbu want to put himself and the 'holy book' in a tight corner like this?

undecided undecided
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by abacusCm(m): 4:40pm On Jan 07, 2014
Noah's ark story is actually truth but the only problem is that Bible exaggerates it.Actually the ark was not built for all the people and different animal species in the world but for the people and the animals around him.This is because Noah was not sent to the whole world but to his people only.

1 Like

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jan 07, 2014
Noah's Ark geological imprint in a mountain.

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by cold(m): 5:12pm On Jan 07, 2014
tomaagy:

If God created all those things in the beginning how difficult would it have been to recreate wat adam couldn't take into the earth, mind you it was human being God wanted to wipe out not insects.
I'm not sure you even read your bible. Otherwise you will not be too eager to discuss neither the creation story nor the ark story. Both are blatantly false and fraught with innacuracies

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by adexsimply(m): 5:15pm On Jan 07, 2014
delmolle: here is your answer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qmj5mhDwJQ

You mean we should get our answer from a 2 minutes 26 seconds-trailer? grin grin
And when did Hollywood start supporting the bible? Can't wait to watch that movie..Emma Watson? shocked Very Great!!!
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by cold(m): 5:18pm On Jan 07, 2014
abacus Cm: Noah's ark story is actually truth but the only problem is that Bible exaggerates it.Actually the ark was not built for all the people and different animal species in the world but for the people and the animals around him.This is because Noah was not sent to the whole world but to his people only.
If you admit that there are exaggerations in the bible,why should we take anything written in that book seriously? The only option left is to discard it as it is not fit for purpose
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Heathen(m): 5:22pm On Jan 07, 2014
How did Noah fit all the animals you ask?
its quite simply.....
He used those capsules they use in dragon ball...........well, either that or poke balls.
Noah was a gym leader.

1 Like

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by MrAboki: 5:26pm On Jan 07, 2014
sunkoye: bros...i believe in Noah’s ark as much as i believe in pyramid.

see, let check out Great Pyramid of Khufu, at Giza, Egypt. It's 756 feet long on each side, 450 feet high and is composed of 2,300,000 blocks of stone, each averaging 2 1/2 tons in weight. Despite the makers' limited surveying tools, no side is more than 8 inches different in length than another, and the whole structure is perfectly oriented to the points of the compass.

Even in the 19th century, it was the tallest building in the world and, at the age of 4,500 years, it is the only one of the famous "Seven Wonders of the Ancient World" that still stands. Even today it remains the most massive building on Earth. sometimes i laugh when simple minded call 5000 years ago folks as primitive wondered the level of technology of those time...it will simply be called great.

i am referring to the contradictions in the ways in which those long years people are portrayed as savages, or stupid, yet Scholars and scientists are unable to understand how they come about their inventions. these your so called primitive generations are have left many relics and structures that have us guessing why, what and how?

Even to this day some of the greatest creations of the past cannot be explained nor confirmed by modern science. We may have ideas, but nothing that is concrete here. Maybe Noah’s ark was built too just to mess with future generations? am so sure it does!

cheers

My Nigga..

Did you just compare the Ark to the Pyramids?! grin

The Pyramids for starters was built by so many people.. The fact that their survey tools wey archaic, the principles they used are just also as acurate as the tools we have today. Infact, students of Geomatics Engineering study these ancient survey methods today in class in order for them to fully appreciate how we got here.

The problem here with Noah's story is not the fact that he was able to build a ship of that Magnitude in a time even before Moses (which means before the Pyramids as well as Egypt is a direct descendant of one of the sons of Noah according to the Bible), but the whole story itself..

The issues surrounding the number of people it allegedly took to build the Ark according to the Bible (because everyone in the town Which I imagine couldnt be that plenty all called Noah a Drunkard), the fact that Noah was said to be 600years old and his sons over 100 years (And Methuselah who was alive at the time was about 1000 years old) at the time..

The gathering of all Animals from the entire world which first of all is a feat on its own, howhe managed to cater to that many number of animals for 1 year, how a ship of that size even stayed afloat with that number of cargo is another matter, How he catered to Fresh water fishes (which couldnt have possibly survived in the sea as it were, How he managed to keep animals like the Penguins, Grizzly bears and other animals that only survive in cold regions cool, how he was able to contain the insects like Mosquitoes and co (some of which have a life cycle that is very short), e.t.c..

The whole story sounds like a myth.. The ages of the Characters involved alone gives it away..

2 Likes

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by IdomaLikita: 5:32pm On Jan 07, 2014
Yet Every Tribe in the World mentions 'A. Great Deluge' at one point in their Creation Story!

Can Science Explain that too?
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by KoloOyinbo(m): 5:35pm On Jan 07, 2014
How large was Noahs ark?

How big is Santa's Sleigh?

(Nope I am NON a non believer! Just like the majority of Christians I believe the Bible to be a MORAL work full of parable and allegory rather than demean that Holy Book as literal history and science which we know is not the case.)

1 Like

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by MrAboki: 5:36pm On Jan 07, 2014

2 Likes

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by MrAboki: 5:37pm On Jan 07, 2014

1 Like

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by MrAboki: 5:38pm On Jan 07, 2014
I guess this explains what Happened to the Unicorns.... grin

2 Likes

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by KoloOyinbo(m): 5:39pm On Jan 07, 2014
Idoma Likita: Yet Every Tribe in the World mentions 'A. Great Deluge' at one point in their Creation Story!

Can Science Explain that too?

Yes it can but that will derail this thread into yet another irrelevant argument.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by MrAboki: 5:41pm On Jan 07, 2014

1 Like

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jan 07, 2014
delmolle: here is your answer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qmj5mhDwJQ

you mean paramount produced a christian movie? hmm this is interesting.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by MrAboki: 5:44pm On Jan 07, 2014
QUESTION

How long would it take for all the Animals in the world plus 4 Humans cramped up inside one ark to run out of Oxygen before they die?!

grin
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by KoloOyinbo(m): 5:47pm On Jan 07, 2014
Noah shovelled all the animal crap over the side and it became England!

Please FORGIVE an Irishman's natural bias and substitute any country of your choice here!

(Don't worry the English have a sense of humour too!)
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Mudley313: 5:48pm On Jan 07, 2014
You dont need to read the God delusion to be athiest...just read the damn bible. How about this for ridiculousness: when Noah is first mentioned in Genesis 5:32, he is 500 years old; when Noah enters the ark, he is 600 years old; the time it took to build the ark would depend on how much time had passed between Genesis 5:32 and the time that God commanded Noah to build the ark (Genesis 6:14-21)...at the absolute most, it took 100 years. Hmm...I guess cos this was back when the sun orbited the earth and years were a lot shorter n well...plus the earth was flat then...so years lasted a fraction of what they do now. smh...i guess the trip to australia and new zealand would have taken him at least a couple of decades, same for africa n the americas, not to mention all the small islands and island groups strewn across the pacific

oh i forgot the part where Noah is shooting all the other birds out of the sky with a shotgun while yelling "ONLY TWO OF EACH GODDAMMIT".

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Prophet Has Sex With His Church Member's Wife And Threatens To Kill Him (photos) / Church Of Satan Reacts As Daddy Freeze Says Marriage Vows Are Satanic / DSTV Censors "God" and "Jesus" On All Their Stations?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.