Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,186 members, 7,815,141 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won (18415 Views)

'Consequences' Short Story Contest / The Afrohbooks Short Story Contest / Short Story Contest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by wildbubble(f): 6:19pm On Aug 16, 2008
I have been so busy in school and ive missed Naira land, I'm in love with this story competition and i'm so happy that most people suspect it is a scam. That means we would be very few submitting our entries. The fewer, the better for me. I can't stop thinking of the millions of things i can do with 25,000.
The bad news is that i'd be through with my exams by 25th of this month and might not meet up with the deadline, im slowly working on it anyway, and would sure submit, especially if the deadline is moved A LITTLE. please, for those who are writing, but not for the money, if you eventually win it, i use inter continental bank, account no, 0079 gosh, i dont have it off hand. i'd be fully back with it by 25th. see ya.

by the way, Sisikill, i missed ya, hope you missed me too, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee say yes
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by Cch3coo: 7:05pm On Aug 16, 2008
agent911:

Good morning Mr. Seun, there is a defficiency of understanding in this note sent to me!

It has been over Ten years I left secondary School, so I may not still remember the last day I visited The Ministry of Education. So how can I know what is still happening in there?

This is a competition, isn't it? Even the money is too cheap, because right from the response of people responding to this brief, i discovered that you will have to increase the "Winning emolument" for you to get result.

They needed high pay before they can respond, isn't it?

O! I just looked down at the subject below, this is a pool either, that means if 200 people passes the Exam, you will all give them 25,000 Naira each (25,000 multiply by 200 people = N5,000,000.00 only.
Can you pay such a money?

Please, think after it.

Is it just me or does this post make little or no sense to anyone else? undecided
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by kumbibrown: 9:09pm On Aug 16, 2008
Seun

How do i start a topic?

Brgds

KB
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by isolution(m): 9:24pm On Aug 16, 2008
hi seun. i'm practically impressed abt the great work u're doing. May the God Lord crown ur efforts with whaooooooo, a huge success.
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by Sisikill: 10:15pm On Aug 16, 2008
Bubble I misssssssssssssed you too. I checked your blogs a few times but got page can't be found. I am so glad to hear school is almost over! Good luck with exams and everything and I hope you win. You still have my email right, holla anything, any day.

((((((HUGS))))))
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by jumobi1(m): 3:58am On Aug 17, 2008
give me 50000 and a movie script writing deal, and i'll write one. Honestly, $220 is NOT enough motivation.
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by Joseph6(m): 4:09am On Aug 17, 2008
jumobi1:

give me 50000 and a movie script writing deal, and i'll write one. Honestly, $220 is NOT enough motivation.
is dat a way 2 blackmail us into belivin dat u have wat it takes 2 write a novella??
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by taosola(m): 2:19pm On Aug 17, 2008
Wao very interesting. I will try my best to you the competition.
But do I need to be part of the story?
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by annabelle: 3:06pm On Aug 17, 2008
seun am quite impressed about ur new competition.but i have a few questions like when is it to be submitted must it be 1st of september?or can it be before on the first?.because from the very beginning have always wanted to write a book,storyline of a play or whatsoever though i haven't had a chance but i will try my best 2 make this one a unique story sumthin not typical of Nigerians.u said u wanted a secondary school setting and its supposed to be believable even if its a real life story OK and it must be sent to Ur email address rite?.
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by Seun(m): 3:48pm On Aug 17, 2008
taosola:

Wao very interesting. I will try my best to you the competition. But do I need to be part of the story?
No.

annabelle:
seun am quite impressed about your new competition.but i have a few questions like when is it to be submitted must it be 1st of september?or can it be before on the first?
The earlier you submit, the better, but September is the deadline.

because from the very beginning have always wanted to write a book,storyline of a play or whatsoever though i haven't had a chance but i will try my best 2 make this one a unique story sumthin not typical of Nigerians.
Nice!

u said u wanted a secondary school setting and its supposed to be believable even if its a real life story OK and it must be sent to your email address rite?.
It doesn't have to be a real life story, but it should be believable without being uninteresting. Yes, my email.
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by Sisikill: 6:47pm On Aug 17, 2008
Okay I know we've beaten this dead horse every which way possible but what's another round, eh? wink

Anyway, in the middle of our difference in opinions last week, I sent an email to John Dart, a writer on allexpert.com, who is also very up and up in copyright issues, below is the my question and his response. I've also included the link to the website, they are very good in giving you answers on anything and everything to do with writers & writing . . . I think it is an excellent resource for any writer (especially for us who haven't made it big enough to hire our own lawyers. smiley )

Again, it's not to force anyone to do anything, just hope it helps put your mind at ease for the future.

PS
Seun is not my brother, uncle, cousin. . . I don't know him from Adam, I don't have any stake in his movie . . . Well apart from hoping his movie makes it big and I can tell people I know him cheesy but right now, I am just a well wisher.

[Quote]Hi,
I'd like to know the copyright laws governing screen plays submitted for competitions. For instance, I came across an a call for screen plays on High School Experience. The winner gets a monetary prize and a credit in the movie. My question pertains to the non winning screen plays, it's only natural that the reader gets ideas from other scripts as he reads them, is there any law preventing him from using structure, dialogue, attitude, point of view, theme, invented characters and scenes or even your own private research culled from the other scripts?
Thank you,
Sandra

Answer

Sandra, sorry for the lengthy delay in getting back to you but I recently moved and that had to take precedence.

You will find that in most contests you are required to sign a release waiver indemnifying the contest from lawsuits. A waiver form may be completely upfront as something that you are supposed to read and agree to, or there is a check mark that you must agree to that says that you have read and agree to the contest's rules, regulations, etc. and within those rules and regulations will be similar terminology and disclaimers to protect the contest from lawsuits.

Right or wrong, the contest needs some basic protection from frivolous lawsuits. For instance, my company runs two contests a year. All of our principal owners and readers are also writers. We need basic protection just to prevent coincidences. Our latest contest in fact had a grand prize winner that has a storyline that has some basic similarities to an idea that I have been developing. Now, I didn't lift his idea, it just happens to have some basic similarities to my script. It is a pure coincidence. You have to expect that even if you feel that you have come up with the most original idea in the world, that someone else has probably already had the same idea. Ideas are a dime a dozen. There may already be 5 other scripts circulating around Hollywood right now that share basic similarities to your script/idea, etc. What makes your script unique is the execution of that idea.

The fear of having your "unique" idea or story elements stolen is a common one for writers. The thing is, in most cases you need to expose your script to everyone possible. Worry less about having your ideas stolen and concentrate more on how many MORE people can I expose my idea to! A contest is slightly different as you are not exposing your idea to a potential buyer. However, if you don't have an agent or manager, or your last name isn't Spielberg, than placing highly or winning a contest can assist you in your efforts to attract these people to your work. So, you pretty much have to just accept the risk and go forward. Theft is still pretty rare in Hollywood and just because someone "steals" your idea or other element, doesn't mean that they can write it as good as you have. Again, ideas are nothing in Hollywood. A great script based on a great idea is what sells.

Good luck and keep writing!

John Dart

www.storypros.com

http:/www.allexperts.com/user.cgi?m=6&catID=677&qID=4758115 [/quote]

I know, I know it says Hollywood but I figure since some of us aspire to be Hollywood writers someday, it shouldn't matter. . . right?
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by TrueBrit: 7:44pm On Aug 17, 2008
@ Seun,

I believe you never stated when the winner would be announced and the prize awarded. Or is this supposed to be a competition where you will read the entries at your own leisure?
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by naijacutee(f): 9:18pm On Aug 17, 2008
lol. You guys crack me up - I actually have tears streaming down my eyes!  Look at people complaining that N25,000 is too small as if it is a business contract! Look at people asking for more money when their "magnificent stories" may very well be worthless. Look at people calling someone a scammer for giving them an avenue to showcase their talents. Look at people placing absurd values on their (probably) underdeveloped creative writing skills.
Yet, the same people after seeing good job adverts asking for 5 years experience wonder where they should get the experience from. Don't you know that in life, things don't happen by magic? To get to the top of the ladder, you have to start climbing from the bottom. This might require you to take up poorly paid jobs - simply for the experience (as long as it's putting food on the table, and a roof over your head). Sometimes, you may even have to work for free, in the real world! It's this "easy money now" mentality that makes a good portion of our young, able citizens sit at cyber cafes and  generate badly typed "You-have-won-an-award" letters.

Sorry for the mini-preach, I do not expect to change your mentality in one post!  Sorry about the digression. Please keep writing.   
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by Joseph6(m): 9:29pm On Aug 17, 2008
about dis story writing. . . . . , the last time i wrote a soap opera like a full higher institution note it got stolen in school but dis one's short . . . . .moni's involved and its a gud way 2 start of my writing career.details pls
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by Sisikill: 12:26am On Aug 18, 2008
naijacutee:

lol. You guys crack me up - I actually have tears streaming down my eyes!  Look at people complaining that N25,000 is too small as if it is a business contract! Look at people asking for more money when their "magnificent stories" may very well be worthless. Look at people calling someone a scammer for giving them an avenue to showcase their talents. Look at people placing absurd values on their (probably) underdeveloped creative writing skills.
Yet, the same people after seeing good job adverts asking for 5 years experience wonder where they should get the experience will come from. Don't you know that in life, things don't happen by magic? To get to the top of the ladder, you have to start climbing from the bottom. This might require you to take up poorly paid jobs - simply for the experience (as long as it's putting food on the table, and a roof over your head). [b]Sometimes, you may even have to work for free, in the real world! [/b]It's this "easy money now" mentality that makes a good portion of our young, able citizens sit at cyber cafes and  generate badly typed "You-have-won-an-award" letters.

Sorry for the mini-preach, I do not expect to change your mentality in one post!  Sorry about the digression. Please keep writing.   

First THANK YOU for this post.

Second. . . working for free? Been there done that! Spent an entire summer working as "an assistant to the assistant script supervisor" of an Indie film. LOL, don't even laugh about the assistant to the assistant, nope laugh at what I actually did, I got coffee. . . by the time I was done, I knew all the different kinds coffee starbucks carried, I ordered lunches, I knew who liked Avian and who prefered Ice Mountain. When I  finally touched a script, it was to highlight words with my yellow highlighter, I'd sit in one tiny corner, legs hurting like crazy, sweating and higlighting my heart away. . .  never got a dime!! What's funnier. . . all the hoops we had to jump thru just be chosen as someone else's boyboy [/i]abi [i]girlgirl. LMOA

Sometimes, it's not the now that matters but where you wanna be and what you are willing to do to get there. . . that's the lesson I learnt.

And now I'll also oplogise for my mini-preach.  grin
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by Sisikill: 12:33am On Aug 18, 2008
A'ight not Oplogise but Apologise tongue
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by KarmaMod(f): 12:40am On Aug 18, 2008
what Indie film? tongue
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by Sisikill: 1:29am On Aug 18, 2008
KarmaMod:

what Indie film?  tongue

I hope you saw it oh! tongue
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by KarmaMod(f): 3:05am On Aug 18, 2008
No cry
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by Sisikill: 3:11am On Aug 18, 2008
LMAO. . . don't cry!

Check my profile.

@ Cch3coo
Thots?
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by Cch3coo: 3:46am On Aug 18, 2008
Sisikill:

@ Cch3coo
Thoughts?

Nice site.
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by Sisikill: 3:53am On Aug 18, 2008
Thanks  grin

Wait a minute. . . I just realized we have less than 3 weeks to go!

Exactly 2 weeks!!!

Tee hee hee
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by Cch3coo: 4:00am On Aug 18, 2008
Just two weeks to go on the competition wink Right Sisikill? tongue
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by KarmaMod(f): 4:06am On Aug 18, 2008
esp? Im confused

what's the movie?
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by Sisikill: 4:16am On Aug 18, 2008
@ KarmaMod
LOL!Oh my God! Now I see why you are confused.

As per ESP, I used deductive reasoning.

Sounds like he is saying he's got ESP. cheesy

Check my profile for the link.
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by Cch3coo: 4:21am On Aug 18, 2008
Maybe the deadline will be extended by Seun.
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by Sisikill: 4:26am On Aug 18, 2008
14 days to D-Day!!!

Is your script ready?? tongue
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by Cch3coo: 4:31am On Aug 18, 2008
Fat chance of that happening. . . LOL . . . Goodnight everybody. Or should i say Goodmorning. grin
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by Sisikill: 4:41am On Aug 18, 2008
Well you better get to it!!!

Times-a-wasting!!!

G'nite for me!
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by goodking1: 11:06am On Aug 18, 2008
pals Sen take every post as your script or if you need a writer i can connect you to one
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by Seun(m): 11:40am On Aug 18, 2008
"wildbubble":
The bad news is that i'd be through with my exams by 25th of this month and might not meet up with the deadline
I have a feeling you won't miss the deadline.  Your subconscious is already working on the story. wink

"True Brit":
believe you never stated when the winner would be announced and the prize awarded. Or is this supposed to be a competition where you will read the entries at your own leisure?
The winner will be announced 2 to 4 weeks after the last day of submission.  Before independence day.

"Cch3coo":
Maybe the deadline will be extended by Seun.
No, that would be unfair to those who submit early.  Writers should never miss deadlines. wink

By the way StephenP is no longer leading; the best entry so far is short, was written in all caps, and contains numerous grammatical mistakes.  Why?  It has heart and meaning, and seems original.
Re: Short Story Contest: Tuneh Won by olanajim(m): 12:59pm On Aug 18, 2008
you wanna buy script, seun?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Soyinka: Much Ado About Plane Seats By Deji Yesufu / Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 88th Birthday Today / Chinua Achebe Signing A Copy Of His Book 'Anthills Of Savanna' (Throwback Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.