Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,110 members, 7,814,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:24 PM

Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football - Sports (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football (48553 Views)

Nigeria, Hope Of African Football / Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief / Why Does The West Dominate African Football? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by PurestBoy(m): 10:26am On Jan 03, 2014
slimthugchimee: My view is HOW DID THAT CHANGE THE PRICE OF GARRI FOR MARKET

Keep devouring garri when your mates are eating friend rice and turkey, at your age you're still worrying yourself about the price of garri. I pity your girlfriend for dating a "clownister" like you. I miss the good old days when we have intelligent nairalanders
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by sucess001(m): 10:26am On Jan 03, 2014
Some people like the OP watch football different from the one we see on tv.

How can one make this kind of argument?

i would rate Milke's chances @ par with that of enyeama.

Mikel won the europa league, and the afcon...beating and overshadowing yaya toure's in nigeria's dismatling of CIV, ..was impressive in the confed cup and played hs part in nigeria's qualification.

i dont knw where the 'bench warmer' argument came from cos he is regular under mourinho. despite having a flu, mou even played him against liverpool.

If he is a bench warmer like you claim, who then is chelsea's starting defensive midfielder? is it essien?

no one has deserved it better than mikel and enyeama..

no other african even comes close in the last calendar year.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by bettermike: 10:27am On Jan 03, 2014
If the award is supposed to motivate African players to be outstanding where ever they are, then giving the award to mikel will be a big calamity. Players will no longer see it important to remain first 11. They'll say, "i dont need to work hard. I'll just encourage my teammates from the bench to win trophies and i'll surely become Africa's best"

2 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by omar22(m): 10:28am On Jan 03, 2014
chelseaguy:

Still a rumour my friend besides Matic is a Central Midfielder. I hope you know your football?

Matic is a box to box player like Essien who could also play as destroyer like Tiote and Chelsea are concerned about his buyout clause
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by thinkdip(m): 10:28am On Jan 03, 2014
heykims: It is January and very soon , the African footballer of the year 2013 will be named in Lagos Nigeria precisely on the 9th of January. The player to be crowned with this feat should however be very much evaluated and deemed fit to earn this prestigious honour because his personality on the field of play either in the national team or club will go a long way in speaking for African football.

CAF released the final 10-man shortlist of the contenders of this prestigious award last year and interestingly, four Nigerian players made the list. Many Nigerians and even Africans have however tipped John Obi Mikel as the possible winner evident from the fact that he won the Nations cup last year, Europa cup in Europe, participated in d Confederations cup and so on.

MY VIEW
As a Nigerian and a proud African, I see it as not just underscoring but extremely insulting to African football if a player like Mikel wins the award. How can a mere bench warmer in Europe be crowned the African footballer of the year just by virtue of the fact that his national team wins a title or his club wins the European league?
A deserving footballer of the hear should be such that is very resourceful both at home and in clubs. A reigning footballer of the year should at least even make the top three best player in his club even if he doesn't get a spot in the FIFA ranking.

Mikel Obi surely can't make the best ten in Chelsea's team despite being a senior player. I'm of the view that its better not to name anyone the footballer of the year than titling a bench warmer in Europe, what a mock, an insult I can't tolerate as an African.

Nigerians should be please stop being sentimental, selfish and self centred and canvass for a better representative for African football.

Left to me, if at all a Nigerian merits the award, it is Vincent Enyeama, the Nigeria's assistant skipper at goal but Cote d'Ivoire's Yaya Toure surely represents Africa better.

What's your view?
its called African footballer of the year, not European. so it doesn't matter if he plays in any continent, so far he his the best in Africa for now you don't have a say

1 Like

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by PurpleHouse(m): 10:29am On Jan 03, 2014
Op, you're a Disgrace to Nigeria, i wish i can see you right now and Knack you One Akpako Knock for head! You don't hear or see this kinda rubbish u posted up there from Ghana, North Africans or even other African Countries for that Matter... Shame on you! A chance is here for a Nigerian to win this award for the first time in som Many years, and here you are spoiling our luck. Do you think CAF won't read this thread? Do you think Africans and the World aren't reading every thread we create here? Don't talk about sentiments cuz when it comes down to My Beloveth Country in Whom i am well pleased, i get very sentimental..... If i don't support my fellow Brothers and Countrymen, who else will, Ghanians? You dissapoint me Man!

You talk of Mikel being on the Bench... Is it the same Mikel that Single handedly pocket Yaya in Afcon? Is it the same Mikel that shown like a star in Brazil? Is it the same Mikel that should have won thiss Award long Ago when Chelsea won the UCL? Is it the same Mikel that without him Chelsea funbles and Strugle in Midfield? He started poorly this season because he didn't train with the team during pre-season, but has now got his grove back....
I don't care what you think but if Mikel fails to win this Award, We #TeamMikel# will hunt you down and chase you Outta here!
You don't deserve being called a Nigerian, you have no Country!
You're Lost Man!
Go find yourself!
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by heykims(m): 10:30am On Jan 03, 2014
bettermike: If the award is supposed to motivate African players to be outstanding where ever they are, then giving the award to mikel will be a big calamity. Players will no longer see it important to remain first 11. They'll say, "i dont need to work hard. I'll just encourage my teammates from the bench to win trophies and i'll surely become Africa's best"
'GBAM!'
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Nobody: 10:30am On Jan 03, 2014
omar22: Look, we are all debating on the issue, because the winner hasn't been announced, Next week if they hand it to Mikel then fair enough theirs nothing we could do, but until then everyone has the right to say who they feel should win the award. But what I cant stand is the hypocrisy of some Nigerian here. When it was the Final 5 Nominees for the award, it was Yaya Toure vs Enyeama, Everyone gave their support for the Lille goalie, no one gave Mikel a prayer, but now that Enyeama dropped off the running Mikel became the best thing since slice bread. So are people supporting Mikel because he is the next Nigerian on the list? Because I bet most people here will be the same if it was Efe Sodje vs Yaya Toure

Its not about being Nigerian.. Its about doing the right thing.. If Mikel wins it, it undermines the state of Football in Africa.. The whole world is watching and I don't count MIKEL as Africa's best..

Imagine The Fact that Yaya Toure is from Nigeria and MIKEL from Ivory Coast.. Nobody'll ever talk about MIKEL..

Mikel's Good buh he's still a pet | Yaya's a Beast..

1 Like

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by dubienatti(m): 10:31am On Jan 03, 2014
heykims:
Exactly chief.
guy remenber it is AFRICAN footballer of the year. the person that should win must hav contributed a lot to AFRICAN FOOTBALL(AFCON) last year.not european or epl.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Nobody: 10:33am On Jan 03, 2014
03/01/2014
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Bigmayor4real: 10:33am On Jan 03, 2014
Job! Job!! Job!!! Opportunity foe immediate employment..
A fast growing new event centre(Success Hall ) seek the service of the following who lives around or within IKORODU :
*1 Event supervisor. With minimum requirement of BSC or HND in a relative field. Experience will b an added advantages
* 3 Event officers. With minimum requirement of BSC or HND in a relative field. Experience will b an added advantages
* 2 event assistant. With minimum requirement of OND in a relative field. Experience will b an added advantages
General requirements :
*Fluency in English Language and interpersonal relationship.
* proximity to office
* honesty, trustworthy, hard working and team player. Ladies Job.
* Available to work on weekends (fri, sat,sun). Ladies should apply asap
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by dubienatti(m): 10:34am On Jan 03, 2014
bettermike: If the award is supposed to motivate African players to be outstanding where ever they are, then giving the award to mikel will be a big calamity. Players will no longer see it important to remain first 11. They'll say, "i dont need to work hard. I'll just encourage my teammates from the bench to win trophies and i'll surely become Africa's best"
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by eyitayo007(m): 10:34am On Jan 03, 2014
@OP and ur fellow Arsenal and Man U fans ,, make una try hang una selves ......Bad belle
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Danpersie31(m): 10:36am On Jan 03, 2014
thank God u said in ur profession.4 crying out loud ur yearly salary and allowance savings is mikel obi's 2months salary and bonus.xo bone dat yarn,mikel is a director in d midfield of chelsea.he is a tiki taka player.xo jst 4get abt dat talk
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by dubienatti(m): 10:37am On Jan 03, 2014
yes encourage them to win AFCON from the bench n u ar good to go..
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by bettermike: 10:38am On Jan 03, 2014
I can already imagine chelsea fans and Jose laughing out loud at Africans if mikel wins Africa's best. I remember when Newcastle boss said Ameobi should be Nigeria's president, every Nigerian saw it as a big insult on our country. This is the same way it will be a big insult if mikel is supposed to be the best player out of Africa rightnow. As in, mikel. A poor lazy player. A serial bench warmer. A one-legged Yaya is still far better than 10 complete mikel. Honestly.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by hollyfat(m): 10:39am On Jan 03, 2014
Ustec: 'Non-Sense'Rubbish talk....when cannavaro a defender, won the world footballer of the year, why u no write to FIFA that its a disgrace 2 world football...all this Man U fans ehn..make una leave obi alone abeg...
Even when Fredick Kanuote of Mali won the award in 2007 at expense of Drogba and Essien you didn't see that has a disgrace to African football. Mtchew
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Socrates05(m): 10:40am On Jan 03, 2014
Yaya Toure won AFOY @ 1st term by scoring only 6goals in Barcelone later came to Premier League again, he was crowned AFOY when Dider Drogba desevered the title when he lifted CL to Chelsea, y can u complain that broad daylight rape. Did u know that Mike was instrumental to CL victory. Mikel had lifted 4 FA cups, 2 Capital One CUPS, one CL, One Premier League CUp and Europa Cup, Most value Player in African Cup of Nation and he won CAF Cup too dis yr. How Naija can moves forward wen u guys never see somtin Good in ur life to suppportt unless always tribalised and ethnicity bias. When Carnavaro of Italy won World footballer of the year, many Goals he scored. Mikel is not a Benchwarmer if u dont know how to use words. Mouriho used Mikel strong matches, take note of dat. For Europa Benitze tried to Convert David Luiz to play defensive midfielder which played very well but too overlap. Stop sentiments cos Mikel Deserved it to be AFOY. Thanks
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by realbee(m): 10:41am On Jan 03, 2014
Its obvious that the op knows little about football awards, like someone noted, its caf award and not bbc award. hw u performed as an african footballer to bring glory to ur continent wins u the award and hence, in a nations cup year, your performance in the tournament takes priority, fifa uses the same idea before they merge it with balon dior, in a world cup yr its the the world cup performance that determines d winner, dats y canavaro won in 2006 (captain of the winnin team, and as a defender, played 90 mins of evry game without conceding a single yellow card) and ronaldo de lima in 2002 upon d fact dat he was out injured for 8months. also in south america, messi wasnt voted d best player in 2011 because he dindt performed very well in copa america, nt considerin d fact that he was voted world player of the yr. it was iniesta's performance in euro 2012 dat earns him d best playr in europe dat yr, d rule is d same evrywhere, evry organiztn gives priority 2 their competitns, and caf follows d same rule, u can check d history of d award in nations cup yrs, so base on this, mikel deserve it most among the 3 so dont be suprised if it goes to him.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by safarigirl(f): 10:41am On Jan 03, 2014
pek: if you are a coach and you are to choose between Mikel or Yaya to be in your team, who will it be?
MIKEL OBI. Football is a team sport, not an individual game, hence, I'll pick the one person who can help the cause of the team, not one oversabi. Lamouche had Toure in his team and they were kicked out, Keshi had Mikel and won AFCON. Now answer your question without a biased mind.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by naijanoni(m): 10:41am On Jan 03, 2014
Djangocode:

Whatchu saying Brova.. Mou says Mikel's his best defensive MF yet he doesn't start any of the games, he only uses him around 85mins.. There's no difference between Mikel of Chelsea and Diame of WestHam.. Slow | Sideways Passes | Not attack Minded..
@bolded
Hahahahaha.Majority of people saying mikel doesnt start matches or is a "bench-warmer" don't watch football.When last did u watch chelsea ??.
In chelsea's last 10 matches mikel started and played full 90 minutes in Seven.
Started 4rm d bench just 3 times.
U can use any sports site 2 confirm.
I advice u start watching d EPL/chelsea dis weekend.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by bettermike: 10:45am On Jan 03, 2014
dubienatti: yes encourage them to win AFCON from the bench n u ar good to go..
Count the best Nigerian players in Afcon, mikel will come a distant sixth! Emenike, Moses, Onazi, Oboagona, Omeruo then mikel and the rest.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by andyanders: 10:47am On Jan 03, 2014
Roon9: Your comment is smeared with so much hate and its glaring that you know nothing in football. Mikel obi might not be so much of an outstanding player but he his very good playing his role in chelsea and nigeria especially. U know nothing about what a defensive midfielder does n you obviously didn't watch chelseas games last season. Surely he won't get d crown but he deservingly made the list. Stop blabbering bros! Cheers

Well spoken. In fact, op can only state here that he has personal issues with Mikel Obi than what he just stated here. I see hatred with anger from the op.

As Op stated here, If Mikel were to be all that bad, was he chosen by himself or his parents to have made the best 3 by CAF? Was Mikel nominated by Nigerians ONLY?
What of Drogba making it and Iyama you mentioned here never made it?
You call Mikel bench warmer in his club? Remember it is very rear having one play with a club like Chelsea and note for your information, Mikel is NEVER bench warmer as you stated and tell me who among Chelsea player that plays week in and week out?

Even if you are having issues with Mikel, that will not change his salary and poor you is here ranting when nobody from your family is successful. This is someone talent you want to destroy and can you tell me why you cannot make the team of voters that nominated these players and vet your anger on Mikel?
Give me the name of any of your family member or sibling that has contributed to Nigeria development? Do not hide under this cover of nairaland and be ranting and asking people to run your fellow country man down because of a position any of your family member and generation can EVER attend in their life time? Answer these questions hater and envious man.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by omar22(m): 10:47am On Jan 03, 2014
bettermike: Count the best Nigerian players in Afcon, mikel will come a distant sixth! Emenike, Moses, Onazi, Oboagona, Omeruo then mikel and the rest.

Thats my argument Mikel wasnt the best Nigerian player in SA

1 Like

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by alobright1010: 10:47am On Jan 03, 2014
obioraop: mikel had a better 2012/ 2013 than any african player ,mikel may not flourish in your said profession but you aint either and believe it or not you wont be fit to lace mikels boot in a million years. Enuf said
you are making no point all you needed is to rain insult if Mikel is not a Nigerian you will never even notice him Enyama should've been there but since they omitted him I strongly believe Yaya will take it
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by boombell: 10:47am On Jan 03, 2014
Its obvious that OP is totally against Mikel.If Mikel wins given the award he deserves it and its a plus for Nigeria football and Nigerian.OP try to value and celebrate your stars,see how England celebrates David Beckham,did Nigeria celebrate Austin Okocha same way?
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by davedave1: 10:48am On Jan 03, 2014
Bros, u laid ur words well, but lets both look at some things togeda, the crown is surely between Mikel and Yaya, now, throughout 2013, lets both lokk at both of them, i mean head to head when they met, both at Europe and our our soil here.
I believe they met 4times or so in England, Mikel (chelsea) won twice and Yaya (Man city) won twice as well, now down to Africa, They met once and Mikel (Nigeria) won , having said that gives Mikel an edge over Yaya.
In 2013 again, Mikel bags in Europa cup, Nations cup and a "WONDERFUL" performance at the nations cup and the Confederations cup. I understand ur point very well, but cut Mikel some slack, he deserves it too.....Cheers
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by larimo(m): 10:48am On Jan 03, 2014
I think we are getting this whole award process wrong again just as FIFA is about to make the same errors.
FIFA and CAF (or whoever) should simply say they are rewarding just the talented footballers, so we know it's very clear.

This is same saga between Ronaldo and Ribery this year (Messi vs Iniesta, Messi vs Sneidjer, Drogba vs Aboutrika). While Ribery is the best player in 2013, FIFA is playing politics to favour Ronaldo, who achieved nothing compared to Ribery's 6 titles or more.

The award is for the 'footballer of the year' not the 'most talented footballer'. In all ramifications, Mikel has been more influential for country and club than Yaya Toure. Mikel was outstanding and influential for Nigeria in the ANC and world cup matches as well as the CONFED cup. In his club, he featured importantly in Chelsea's Europa title and run-up to fourth place in the EPL. Yaya was the opposite, failing to even beat a weak Wigan side, faltering in the title race and ineffective in the ANC. He is more talented than Mikel, but Mikel has been a most influential player in 2013.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (22) (Reply)

Amara And Kanu Nwankwo Kiss In Fitness Photo / David Beckham insists Messi is level above Ronaldo. / Neymar Scores Stunning Bicycle Kick Goal On Return From Injury (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.