Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,308 members, 7,819,051 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football (48580 Views)

Nigeria, Hope Of African Football / Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief / Why Does The West Dominate African Football? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by freeman533: 5:16am On Jan 03, 2014
Yoruba and their jealousy.Had it been it was Taiwo that was named now,this guy would have started arranging for "cerimoni"
Abeg go hug transformer there.Am sure that you are not even recognised in your own field because you hate to see your mates progress.
Onye Efulefu
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by omar22(m): 5:16am On Jan 03, 2014
Area-Fada:

Can you please list them head to head in order of importance like Champions league, AFCON, Europa cup etc?

Premier League (1): 2009–10
FA Cup (4): 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10, 2011–12
League Cup (1): 2006–07
FA Community Shield (1): 2009
UEFA Champions League (1): 2011–12
UEFA Europa League (1): 2012–13
Nigeria
Africa Cup of Nations (1): 2013

JOM = 10 Silverwares

ASEC Mimosas
Côte d'Ivoire Premier Division: 2001
Olympiacos
Super League Greece: 2005–06
Greek Cup: 2005–06
Barcelona
La Liga (2): 2008–09, 2009–10
Copa del Rey: 2008–09
Supercopa de España: 2009
UEFA Champions League: 2008–09
UEFA Super Cup: 2009
FIFA Club World Cup: 2009
Manchester City
Premier League: 2011–12
FA Cup: 2010–11
FA Community Shield: 2012

YT 13 silverware
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by emmabest2000(m): 5:19am On Jan 03, 2014
sicily4u: Yaya deserve it 100%
what about Taiwo ? grin
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by omar22(m): 5:21am On Jan 03, 2014
vislabraye:

Though I'm not a Chelsea fan, Mikel deserves it. He did a lot for his country and club last year. At least he won a trophy.
For Nigeria, I need not mention his many achievements. See, AFOY does not always go to the perceived best player, but the player who made the most impact.

So when Adebayour won it in 2008 what did Togo or Arsenal win?

1 Like

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by omar22(m): 5:28am On Jan 03, 2014
nduaj: If CAF decides to give this award to yaya instead of Mikel, to me it means they have sold their 'birth right' to the Europeans. How else would you explain awarding someone whose bragging rights come from what he plays in Europe rather than what he played in Africa?
In a year that the nations cup w was played, the winner of the Africa player of the year should come from an outstanding player from the champions of Africa (AFCON is bigger than the English premiere league)

And to all those saying Mikel is a bench warmer, please check your facts ….. as at last weekend Mikel has been capped 597 times for Chelsea... He has played regularly under 6 different Chelsea coaches so I don't understand why anyone would rate him a bench warmer

WOW Talking about moving the goal post... so when Ikpeba and Kanu won it in 97 and 99 what did Nigeria do in Africa if you could remind us

And Mikel wasnt the outstanding player in South Africa

1 Like

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by darbuk(m): 5:29am On Jan 03, 2014
Why would u publicly antagonize ur fellow being that's not competing with u in any form. It means u 4got what's called unmerited favour. Pray for it, it can as well work for u.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by omar22(m): 5:30am On Jan 03, 2014
darbuk: Why would u publicly antagonize ur fellow being that's not competing with u in any form. It means u 4got what's called unmerited favour. Pray for it, it can as well work for u.

Your right
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by busayochic: 5:35am On Jan 03, 2014
heykims: How can a mere bench warmer in Europe be crowned the African footballer of the year just by virtue of the fact that his national team wins a title or his club

What's your view?
how can y call Mikel Obi a bench warmer U obviously haven't been following the EPL... FYI for years, JMO has been an integral part of Chelsea FC and d super Eagles. A player who plays in the defensive midfield position for Chelsea and an attacking midfield role for his national team (performing both roles exceptionally well) is simply world class! Chelsea has had several managers over the years and none has been able to confine Mikel to the bench... so one wonders what u mean when u say Mikel is a bench warmer...
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by chiswaggs: 5:40am On Jan 03, 2014
heykims:
Im a Nigerian nd I hold nothing against Mikel as a player, in fact am a fan esp then when he represented Nigeria in d U21 category in d world cup back in 2005. I just like to be factual.
U re right Mikel is doing what he does best, but unfortunately some others re doing it better.
Ans ds:
does it make sense for a palyer who warms d bench in europe to come to africa nd is crowned d footballer of d year? Pls just YES or NO..
Some things don't require just yes or no. For instance is Ribery better than Ronaldo? Then how come Ribery won the UEFA best player award. Would it not also be a thing of comedy if Ronaldo wins the balon d'or ahead of Ribery? How can a European player be the best in the world when he is not the best in Europe. If Ribery was given the award based on what he won in Europe why can't we give Mikel this award based on what he's won both in Africa and at club level?

1 Like

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by omar22(m): 5:53am On Jan 03, 2014
chiswaggs:
Some things don't require just yes or no. For instance is Ribery better than Ronaldo? Then how come Ribery won the UEFA best player award. Would it not also be a thing of comedy if Ronaldo wins the balon d'or ahead of Ribery? How can a European player be the best in the world when he is not the best in Europe. If Ribery was given the award based on what he won in Europe why can't we give Mikel this award based on what he's won both in Africa and at club level?

Ribery won the best player in the Champions League competition not Europe, The European player of the year (Ballon D'or) has been scrapped they have merged the WPOTY and the Ballon D'or together as one
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by omar22(m): 5:54am On Jan 03, 2014
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Bertivogt: 6:14am On Jan 03, 2014
Krasid: They should just give the award to yaya, so as not to disgrace Africa.Mikel is good but he is not world class.
YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T KNOW WHAT 'BEING A WORLD-CLASS PLAYER' IS...
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by akposking(m): 6:15am On Jan 03, 2014
Ok.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by nopecin(m): 6:21am On Jan 03, 2014
salemdv: If him win am abeg go wrestle am 4rm am. Bad belle wey no fit last 20min ontop pitch

U dey go far dude evene for bed e no fit last 2 mins enemy of progress if nah ur blood u go say e no worth am abi....
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by valentinegibbs(m): 6:29am On Jan 03, 2014
let us just face the fact,mikel is not qualified for such honours,we should face reality and stop being sentimental,i believe those if you that are against this post are chelshit fans......i tipp enyeama for de award,he has helped both his former club,new club and country
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by yetunsbay(m): 6:30am On Jan 03, 2014
heykims:
.....wch is why I'm not a footballer, and am sure Mikel is also a nuisance in d profession where I flourish.
then tell us what you have also achieved in your endeavour.......................mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeew bad belle
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by salemdv(m): 6:37am On Jan 03, 2014
Beemhan: sharap dia! so anyone who cn last 20mins on a pitch. deservs to be africa's best playa, montula
ode buruku so na 20 mins mikel dey play week in week out abi alainironu
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by yetunsbay(m): 6:39am On Jan 03, 2014
Krasid: They should just give the award to yaya, so as not to disgrace Africa.Mikel is good but he is not world class.
no be Yaya na Tata.y pple dey reason lyk dis sef? d last tym I checked @op is not even a Nigerian
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by arthurflex(m): 6:39am On Jan 03, 2014
What is this guy talking about here, you play pass mikel? He is a defensive midfielder, he's not even a striker or an attacking midfielder like yaya toure, you should be praying for him to perform more and not dragging his name to the mud, after all Ribery won the European best while Ronaldo, rooney and many other players are performing brilliantly. It's a matter of voting and choice, you have made your stupid choice so shut up.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by victorlexa(m): 6:40am On Jan 03, 2014
omar22:

Premier League (1): 2009–10
FA Cup (4): 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10, 2011–12
League Cup (1): 2006–07
FA Community Shield (1): 2009
UEFA Champions League (1): 2011–12
UEFA Europa League (1): 2012–13
Nigeria
Africa Cup of Nations (1): 2013

JOM = 10 Silverwares

ASEC Mimosas
Côte d'Ivoire Premier Division: 2001
Olympiacos
Super League Greece: 2005–06
Greek Cup: 2005–06
Barcelona
La Liga (2): 2008–09, 2009–10
Copa del Rey: 2008–09
Supercopa de España: 2009
UEFA Champions League: 2008–09
UEFA Super Cup: 2009
FIFA Club World Cup: 2009
Manchester City
Premier League: 2011–12
FA Cup: 2010–11
FA Community Shield: 2012

YT 13 silverware
mehn stats dont lie,yaya wins it
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by giles14(m): 6:48am On Jan 03, 2014
heykims: It is January and very soon , the African footballer of the year 2013 will be named in Lagos Nigeria precisely on the 9th of January. The player to be crowned with this feat should however be very much evaluated and deemed fit to earn this prestigious honour because his personality on the field of play either in the national team or club will go a long way in speaking for African football.

CAF released the final 10-man shortlist of the contenders of this prestigious award last year and interestingly, four Nigerian players made the list. Many Nigerians and even Africans have however tipped John Obi Mikel as the possible winner evident from the fact that he won the Nations cup last year, Europa cup in Europe, participated in d Confederations cup and so on.

MY VIEW
As a Nigerian and a proud African, I see it as not just underscoring but extremely insulting to African football if a player like Mikel wins the award. How can a mere bench warmer in Europe be crowned the African footballer of the year just by virtue of the fact that his national team wins a title or his club wins the European league?

A deserving footballer of the hear should be such that is very resourceful both at home and in clubs. A reigning footballer of the year should at least even make the top three best player in his club even if he doesn't get a spot in the FIFA ranking.

Mikel Obi surely can't make the best ten in Chelsea's team despite being a senior player. I'm of the view that its better not to name anyone the footballer of the year than titling a bench warmer in Europe, what a mock, an insult I can't tolerate as an African.

Nigerians should be please stop being sentimental, selfish and self centred and canvass for a better representative for African football.

Left to me, if at all a Nigerian merits the award, it is Vincent Enyeama, the Nigeria's assistant skipper at goal but Cote d'Ivoire's Yaya Toure surely represents Africa better.

What's your view?
my view?na wetin igbo's do una.at d mention of an igbo name every mostly yoruba's will be scared
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by leggo: 6:50am On Jan 03, 2014
striker9: @op,its either your a clown or desperate in need of undue attention,well congrats cause you ve gotten one today.Mikel might no be an outstanding player but bad mouthing and hating on him won't do you and your entire family any good.This is a player that is serving the nation,wearing the green white green jersey just to represent his nation,its obvious you are such an ingrate cause this guy has been the doing the nation proud,I'm sure you were happy when naija won the AFCON.Its such a shame the only thing you could come up with is to open a thread about him,tongue lashed him for doing what he knows how to do best.Mikel has created name for himself,why don't you in your idle time think of how to make name for yourself rather than hating on another man's way of life.Waiting for your reply......................
no matter how much you nigerians whine mikel is wack.. fernadinho plays the same position as him and in one season already has better stats.. lol back pass mikel

1 Like

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by victorlexa(m): 6:50am On Jan 03, 2014
mehn yaya is d favourite o,sm1 dts among d top 15 midfielders in d world in d last 1 yr,nd d only african 2 b among d top best players in d world,his performances for mancity dis last yr has bn breathtaking,d guy is a beast of a player.As a Nigerian nd given d exploits of mikel at afcon,mikel shud win it,bt na yaya dem go give... watch dis space

1 Like

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by solidhomes: 6:54am On Jan 03, 2014
heykims:
Ans ds:
does it make sense for a palyer who warms d bench in europe to come to africa nd is crowned d footballer of d year? Pls just YES or NO..

YES
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by aquabeing: 6:59am On Jan 03, 2014
[quote author=heykims]It is January and very soon , the African footballer of the year 2013 will be named in Lagos Nigeria precisely on the 9th of January. The player to be crowned with this feat should however be very much evaluated and deemed fit to earn this prestigious honour because his personality on the field of play either in the national team or club will go a long way in speaking for African football.

CAF released the final 10-man shortlist of the contenders of this prestigious award last year and interestingly, four Nigerian players made the list. Many Nigerians and even Africans have however tipped John Obi Mikel as the possible winner evident from the fact that he won the Nations cup last year, Europa cup in Europe, participated in d Confederations cup and so on.

MY VIEW
As a Nigerian and a proud African, I see it as not just underscoring but extremely insulting to African football if a player like Mikel wins the award. How can a mere bench warmer in Europe be crowned the African footballer of the year just by virtue of the fact that his national team wins a title or his club wins the European league?

A deserving footballer of the hear should be such that is very resourceful both at home and in clubs. A reigning footballer of the year should at least even make the top three best player in his club even if he doesn't get a spot in the FIFA ranking.

Mikel Obi surely can't make the best ten in Chelsea's team despite being a senior player. I'm of the view that its better not to name anyone the footballer of the year than titling a bench warmer in Europe, what a mock, an insult I can't tolerate as an African.

Nigerians should be please stop being sentimental, selfish and self centred and canvass for a better representative for African football.

Left to me, if at all a Nigerian merits the award, it is Vincent Enyeama, the Nigeria's assistant skipper at goal but Cote d'Ivoire's Yaya Toure surely represents Africa better.

My View
Its either you are a Man U fan or an Arsenal
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Nobody: 7:04am On Jan 03, 2014
Mikel all the way. For affordable housing solutions, visit

https://www.nairaland.com/1428136/affordable-3-bedroom-bungalow-nairalanders
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by LizzyAnn(f): 7:10am On Jan 03, 2014
grin grin grin
tellwisdom: Op, you are very jobless. See vein for all your neck as you dey type with vex sad
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Pasblack(m): 7:14am On Jan 03, 2014
some pple in dis forum are not just matured, he made his point with analysis, I think d fair thing to do is to counter him with another gud analysis instead of insulting d dude and his family....
well bfor now, I've always tipped mikel too but with dis thread, I think someone else deserves it without any form of sentiment
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by vocalprince(m): 7:18am On Jan 03, 2014
heykims:
.....wch is why I'm not a footballer, and am sure Mikel is also a nuisance in d profession where I flourish.
If not for ban sake i for say U are very S*T**P**D carry the award go give ur papa na. If U really have one yeye field where U "flourish" then the word is really coming to an END!!! Nuisance!! WTF!! *spits on him, slaps him, bites him, poos on him* mind ur business! Happy new year!
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by boss1310(m): 7:19am On Jan 03, 2014
somethings i dont understand about nigerians and their knowledge of football.some players add balance to their team and are so important they are played in a match even when not in top form,mikel is one of those players.
chelsea has bought many players for DM position yet mikel play more minutes there.he has been used in that position by every coach that has been to chelsea even on the second coming of the so called"special one"
mikel hasnt been rumuored even for once that chelsea wants to terminate his contract,sell him off,loan him or even sitting on the bench for long.he play approximately 50 matches per season for chelsea.and for those calling him a wasted player google how much he is being.paid then you will know that chelsea values him than we do
our problem in this country is that we dont value our own but for those who dont know there other things that helps a team score goals and dont conceed many,mikel does this in chelsea midfield.ask his chelsea team mates and coaches.
am not saying he must win AFOY but if he does win it,i wont be surprised cos he had a good year
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Arnoldo(m): 7:24am On Jan 03, 2014
heykims:
Im a Nigerian nd I hold nothing against Mikel as a player, in fact am a fan esp then when he represented Nigeria in d U21 category in d world cup back in 2005. I just like to be factual.
U re right Mikel is doing what he does best, but unfortunately some others re doing it better.
Ans ds:
how many chelsea match did u watch in d season 2012/13 cos dats where d judgment comes frm and which other african won an european and african trophy during dat period ...pls be realistic ..he was d best at d nations cup...wat ar u saying? bench warmer? no player at chelsea cnt be benchd even hazard has been benched severally
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Abbey2sam(m): 7:26am On Jan 03, 2014
If you think mikel obi deserve the award, kindly hit the like button and if you think otherwise kindly hit the like button.

Either way hit the like button

Up mikel

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Amara And Kanu Nwankwo Kiss In Fitness Photo / Cristiano Ronaldo Drips Hard As He Arrives In Style To Boxing Match (Pix, Video) / Neymar Scores Stunning Bicycle Kick Goal On Return From Injury (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.