Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,757 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:35 AM

Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football (48576 Views)

Nigeria, Hope Of African Football / Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief / Why Does The West Dominate African Football? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by omar22(m): 7:26am On Jan 03, 2014
Diary of a typical mad Nigerian man

I have an award to give to the best person

............2 options

.............A..........B

............A has the edge and deserves it

............B lives in my house like a brother

Who gets the award

Man in mirror - Michael Jackson
God help Nigeria
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by kingjooo(m): 7:28am On Jan 03, 2014
Peeps,with sentiment apart the most austanding play in 2012/2013 season is Vincent Enyeama. It's so unfortunate he didn't make it to the last three,but deep down in all african real football follower almighty Enyeama deserves it.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by trent9002(m): 7:32am On Jan 03, 2014
YAYA YAYA YAYA YAYA
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Iamzuna(m): 7:46am On Jan 03, 2014
@OP.. Its very obvious that you started watching football just recently. What you should consider first is that the award is for African excellence and not for European excellence. Do you think Yaya winning the award is not an insult to African football also? Well the reason why African football is backwards is because we only want to give these awards to player who flourish in Europe (not even flourish but sometimes its as bad as them just playing good for their club sides) and forget the heroes who make the African game worth watching. I am sure you will say a Zambian player does not deserve the award last year and you will also support that the Egyptian Aboutrika does not deserve to win the award at least twice. Now lets go to other continents, do you think its just players who do well in Europe that wins the best player award from those continents? Africa will want to copy from Europeans and Europeans are just selecting players from their own league (or have you seen the best player in South America compete for the EFOTY (before it was merged with FFOTY)). Now coming to the world cup calender year, why do you think that irrespective of the club performance its only the best at the world cup that wins the award *barring Messi 2010*(though his performance that year was something else). Once a major tournament takes place that year, the winner of the best player award should come from that tournament and i think for once it has to happen in Africa and since Mikel is the only one representing the champion of Africa then he has to win it. Also he does not play for a small team so he just has to win it.
Concerning the bench warmer argument, i think you guys have to start watching football all over again and understand that there is a difference between team rotation and bench warming. How can you argue that Mikel is a bench warmer when he is obviously getting much more playing time than Essien. Dont forget that there are other players in Chelsea that will leave this January and yet Mikel remains in the coach's plan and you call him a bench warmer.... Mourinho rotates his players and that is the reason why Mikel has had to sometimes sit on the bench and for your information Mikel is not a bench warmer and he has a better and a more successful last season than Yaya (generally not individually) so he has a claim for that award not for his performance in club (europe) but for his performance in the same AFRICAN football. For me all three players dont deserve to win the award as Eyeama or Petriopa should have won clearly (the later being the best player of the tournament).

7 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Iamzuna(m): 7:48am On Jan 03, 2014
kingjooo: Peeps,with sentiment apart the most austanding play in 2012/2013 season is Vincent Enyeama. It's so unfortunate he didn't make it to the last three,but deep down in all african real football follower almighty Enyeama deserves it.

True but until the Last 4/5 months he was not on fire as he is now. Just like Ronaldo who only until recently just started performing
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by omar22(m): 7:50am On Jan 03, 2014
Iamzuna: @OP.. Its very obvious that you started watching football just recently. What you should consider first is that the award is for African excellence and not for European excellence. Do you think Yaya winning the award is not an insult to African football also? Well the reason why African football is backwards is because we only want to give these awards to player who flourish in Europe (not even flourish but sometimes its as bad as them just playing good for their club sides) and forget the heroes who make the African game worth watching. I am sure you will say a Zambian player does not deserve the award last year and you will also support that the Egyptian Aboutrika does not deserve to win the award at least twice. Now lets go to other continents, do you think its just players who do well in Europe that wins the best player award from those continents? Africa will want to copy from Europeans and Europeans are just selecting players from their own league (or have you seen the best player in South America compete for the EFOTY (before it was merged with FFOTY)). Now coming to the world cup calender year, why do you think that irrespective of the club performance its only the best at the world cup that wins the award *barring Messi 2010*(though his performance that year was something else). Once a major tournament takes place that year, the winner of the best player award should come from that tournament and i think for once it has to happen in Africa and since Mikel is the only one representing the champion of Africa then he has to win it. Also he does not play for a small team so he just has to win it.
Concerning the bench warmer argument, i think you guys have to start watching football all over again and understand that there is a difference between team rotation and bench warming. How can you argue that Mikel is a bench warmer when he is obviously getting much more playing time than Essien. Dont forget that there are other players in Chelsea that will leave this January and yet Mikel remains in the coach's plan and you call him a bench warmer.... Mourinho rotates his players and that is the reason why Mikel has had to sometimes sit on the bench and for your information Mikel is not a bench warmer and he has a better and a more successful last season than Yaya (generally not individually) so he has a claim for that award not for his performance in club (europe) but for his performance in the same AFRICAN football. For me all three players dont deserve to win the award as Eyeama or Petriopa should have won clearly (the later being the best player of the tournament).

Where as Nigerians campaigned and protested and Lobbied for Jay Jay Okocha who won fuckall in 2004
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by phreakabit(m): 7:54am On Jan 03, 2014
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Nobody: 7:56am On Jan 03, 2014
This shows how backward african football is..see d kind of flops vying for its best player.. however mikel isnt supposed to win it... cos ribery too wont win it.. fenks
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by phreakabit(m): 7:59am On Jan 03, 2014
crixtex: This shows how backward african football is..see d kind of flops vying for its best player.. however mikel isnt supposed to win it... cos ribery too wont win it.. fenks

I see you have been getting high off latrines again. . . . Can't make sense of your post. Absolutely incoherent.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by mjizzie(m): 7:59am On Jan 03, 2014
heykims:
.....wch is why I'm not a footballer, and am sure Mikel is also a nuisance in d profession where I flourish.
are u. Dangote, Adenuga, 2face,CJ? Nobody kws u and ur profession. No dey beef peopl wit glory
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by safarigirl(f): 8:02am On Jan 03, 2014
omar22:

WOW Talking about moving the goal post... so when Ikpeba and Kanu won it in 97 and 99 what did Nigeria do in Africa if you could remind us

And Mikel wasnt the outstanding player in South Africa
when Neymar and Ronaldinho won South American player of the year in 2012 and 2013 respectively, neither of them were better than Messi, Suarez, Aguero or Cavani in Europe. It is only in Africa that they give awards to overhyped under-achievers based on European club performance. That is why I call you, that ret@rd3d OP and all the other slaves who think Yeye Toure should be given an award because he's a 'beast' for Man Shiitty, SHAMELESS NIGGURS!

1 Like

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Nobody: 8:03am On Jan 03, 2014
slimthugchimee: My view is HOW DID THAT CHANGE THE PRICE OF GARRI FOR MARKET

why do u always looking for things that changes the price if garri in the market?
can't u critically analyse a situation?
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by phreakabit(m): 8:04am On Jan 03, 2014
[size=14pt]Mikel : Won Europa ( Not same season), Won UCL, Won CAN in the same year.
Yaya: Won NOTHING! But was the better player of the two.
This is quite similar to what happened between Eto and Okocha. Okocha was the better player that year, Eto was the more successful trophy-wise that year, and ultimately. . . Won the Award. . . So, in that light, I will give it to Mikel.[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by chucky234(m): 8:04am On Jan 03, 2014
Emmanuel Amunike won the award not because he was impressive playing for FC Zamalek in Egypt but because he scored the two goals against Zambia that won the AFCON for Nigeria at Tunisia '94.
I'm not a fan of Mikel for his annoying back passes but the dude merit the award more than Toure this term,there is no doubt about that.
Mikel was instrumental in Chelsea winning the Europa League and played more games under Rafael Benitez, Yaya wasnt too impressive for City last season.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by kingjooo(m): 8:06am On Jan 03, 2014
I see u mami
safarigirl: when Neymar and Ronaldinho won South American player of the year in 2012 and 2013 respectively, neither of them were better than Messi, Suarez, Aguero or Cavani in Europe. It is only in Africa that they give awards to overhyped under-achievers based on European club performance. That is why I call you, that ret@rd3d OP and all the other slaves who think Yeye Toure should be given an award because he's a 'beast' for Man Shiitty, SHAMELESS NIGGURS!
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by striker9(m): 8:06am On Jan 03, 2014
Iamzuna: @OP.. Its very obvious that you started watching football just recently. What you should consider first is that the award is for African excellence and not for European excellence. Do you think Yaya winning the award is not an insult to African football also? Well the reason why African football is backwards is because we only want to give these awards to player who flourish in Europe (not even flourish but sometimes its as bad as them just playing good for their club sides) and forget the heroes who make the African game worth watching. I am sure you will say a Zambian player does not deserve the award last year and you will also support that the Egyptian Aboutrika does not deserve to win the award at least twice. Now lets go to other continents, do you think its just players who do well in Europe that wins the best player award from those continents? Africa will want to copy from Europeans and Europeans are just selecting players from their own league (or have you seen the best player in South America compete for the EFOTY (before it was merged with FFOTY)). Now coming to the world cup calender year, why do you think that irrespective of the club performance its only the best at the world cup that wins the award *barring Messi 2010*(though his performance that year was something else). Once a major tournament takes place that year, the winner of the best player award should come from that tournament and i think for once it has to happen in Africa and since Mikel is the only one representing the champion of Africa then he has to win it. Also he does not play for a small team so he just has to win it.
You sir,you are a very intelligent man,thanks for reminding us its an African award and not european.I want Enyeama to win it,but its obvious he was axed to pave way for Yaya.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by leksgcfr(m): 8:10am On Jan 03, 2014
The op was sure not in his right frame of mind when he posited those gibberish. How would somebody start this year gathering crowd to oppose another because he deems he is doing well in his own field and the other doesn't.
Since when has the AFOY award become an award given without sentiment or any affiliation? Who deserved it more in 2012 and who was it given to? Did the world refuse to play when players who are best for it are cheated? He even tells us about Mikel warming a bench. It's obvious he doesn't watch football but listens to rumour of it. Op, please get wisdom and educate yourself instead of displaying your ignonrance to the world .
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by munex007(m): 8:14am On Jan 03, 2014
I understand your objectivity.. We know Mikel doesn't score many goals as Yaya because of the deep Holding position he plays for chelsea...Mikel is a unique player,he gives the team Balance and he has been an unsung hero for chelsea. Mikel is a permanent anchor man - his calm touch a major contribution to the team..Bench warmer?Mikel did however pass the 200-appearances milestone for Chelsea and has been used consistently by all the Managers

That shortlist is a joke..Why not Enyeama ?.I won't be surprise if Yaya wins the award for the 3rd time...2012 he won it ahead of Drogba even with his invaluable performances in CL and FA cup..

I wish the voting of prestigious awards like AFOY,Ballon d or etc can be more open..
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by jomoh: 8:15am On Jan 03, 2014
heykims: It is January and very soon , the African footballer of the year 2013 will be named in Lagos Nigeria precisely on the 9th of January. The player to be crowned with this feat should however be very much evaluated and deemed fit to earn this prestigious honour because his personality on the field of play either in the national team or club will go a long way in speaking for African football.

CAF released the final 10-man shortlist of the contenders of this prestigious award last year and interestingly, four Nigerian players made the list. Many Nigerians and even Africans have however tipped John Obi Mikel as the possible winner evident from the fact that he won the Nations cup last year, Europa cup in Europe, participated in d Confederations cup and so on.

MY VIEW
As a Nigerian and a proud African, I see it as not just underscoring but extremely insulting to African football if a player like Mikel wins the award. How can a mere bench warmer in Europe be crowned the African footballer of the year just by virtue of the fact that his national team wins a title or his club wins the European league?

A deserving footballer of the hear should be such that is very resourceful both at home and in clubs. A reigning footballer of the year should at least even make the top three best player in his club even if he doesn't get a spot in the FIFA ranking.

Mikel Obi surely can't make the best ten in Chelsea's team despite being a senior player. I'm of the view that its better not to name anyone the footballer of the year than titling a bench warmer in Europe, what a mock, an insult I can't tolerate as an African.

Nigerians should be please stop being sentimental, selfish and self centred and canvass for a better representative for African football.

Left to me, if at all a Nigerian merits the award, it is Vincent Enyeama, the Nigeria's assistant skipper at goal but Cote d'Ivoire's Yaya Toure surely represents Africa better.

What's your view?

As much as you want a good representation for Africa in the presence of the whole, you have forgotten that you are trading your Primary heritage for a secondary one. MEANING irrespective of your "African patriotism, you are first and foremost a NIGERIAN" therefore you should strive to defend your "Primary heritage" before the "Secondary". That would have proven that you are not a tribalist.

Mikel might be a bench warmer in europe but you can bet he is the best representation for Africa and Nigeria in terms of contribution to his national team and achievement since Enyeama has being omitted by CAF.

FYI I am a Yoruba man before being a Nigerian and a Nigerian before being an African. I DON'T KNOW YOUR OWN COMBINATION?
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by heykims(m): 8:15am On Jan 03, 2014
Personal text : Love for all, hatred isn't in my dictionary.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by trigar12(m): 8:16am On Jan 03, 2014
To the OP

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by jomoh: 8:17am On Jan 03, 2014
heykims: It is January and very soon , the African footballer of the year 2013 will be named in Lagos Nigeria precisely on the 9th of January. The player to be crowned with this feat should however be very much evaluated and deemed fit to earn this prestigious honour because his personality on the field of play either in the national team or club will go a long way in speaking for African football.

CAF released the final 10-man shortlist of the contenders of this prestigious award last year and interestingly, four Nigerian players made the list. Many Nigerians and even Africans have however tipped John Obi Mikel as the possible winner evident from the fact that he won the Nations cup last year, Europa cup in Europe, participated in d Confederations cup and so on.

MY VIEW
As a Nigerian and a proud African, I see it as not just underscoring but extremely insulting to African football if a player like Mikel wins the award. How can a mere bench warmer in Europe be crowned the African footballer of the year just by virtue of the fact that his national team wins a title or his club wins the European league?

A deserving footballer of the hear should be such that is very resourceful both at home and in clubs. A reigning footballer of the year should at least even make the top three best player in his club even if he doesn't get a spot in the FIFA ranking.

Mikel Obi surely can't make the best ten in Chelsea's team despite being a senior player. I'm of the view that its better not to name anyone the footballer of the year than titling a bench warmer in Europe, what a mock, an insult I can't tolerate as an African.

Nigerians should be please stop being sentimental, selfish and self centred and canvass for a better representative for African football.

Left to me, if at all a Nigerian merits the award, it is Vincent Enyeama, the Nigeria's assistant skipper at goal but Cote d'Ivoire's Yaya Toure surely represents Africa better.

What's your view?

As much as you want a good representation for Africa in the presence of the whole, you have forgotten that you are trading your Primary heritage for a secondary one. MEANING irrespective of your "African patriotism, you are first and foremost a NIGERIAN" therefore you should strive to defend your "Primary heritage" before the "Secondary". That would have proven that you are not a tribalist.

Mikel might be a bench warmer in europe but you can bet he is the best representation for Africa and Nigeria in terms of contribution to his national team and achievement since Enyeama has being omitted by CAF.

FYI I am a Yoruba man before being a Nigerian and a Nigerian before being an African. I DON'T KNOW YOUR OWN COMBINATION but you an embarrassment to our nation.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by omajali2003(m): 8:19am On Jan 03, 2014
Mikel may not be a flashy player, but he is doing his job. According to Jose, he gives balance to the chelsea team and he is the reason why Lampard has the freedom to move forward and score goal. How can he be a disgrace to African football when he was the one that spearheded the midfield that won the nations cup and the chelsea team that won Champions league. Football is not all about how well you play but what you achieve with you play. Call Mikel a bad player, but he has won laurels with his play. Chelsea is a big team, you don't expect him to play evey match. Even Mata sometimes warm the bench
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by ahmedoba22: 8:21am On Jan 03, 2014

MY VIEW

What's your view?
o boy i dont think u use to watch football cos if u do u cant call mickel bench warmer, bad bele
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by emmadan(m): 8:21am On Jan 03, 2014
to me,the fact that yaya and drogba are ahead of enyeama its a disgrace itself.so giving mikel the award is 50/50 and nothing like disgrace.for the record,yaya and drog are not even among the africa best XI at afcon.for the fact that drog is ahead of emenike sef is a disgrace.ojoro.we all know that caf is french friendly.biased and stupid pple.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by emmanugo: 8:22am On Jan 03, 2014
omar22:

WOW Talking about moving the goal post... so when Ikpeba and Kanu won it in 97 and 99 what did Nigeria do in Africa if you could remind us

And Mikel wasnt the outstanding player in South Africa
Shocked and stil Breathing very hard over dis coment...if u wer ma blood brother i wil not alow u to play with my children
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by safarigirl(f): 8:22am On Jan 03, 2014
heykims: Personal text : Love for all, hatred isn't in my dictionary.
lol, this after making the controversial statement "...it's those in his geographical area that support him..." niggur please don't kill ma vibe. Love indeed.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by heykims(m): 8:25am On Jan 03, 2014
j_omoh:

FYI I am a Yoruba man before being a Nigerian and a Nigerian before being an African. I DON'T KNOW YOUR OWN COMBINATION?
I have a different combination. In any national affair, I rep Nigeria before I rep Africa for d country deserves good representation in d continent. However, in any affair in which d whole continent is involved, I will consider myself first an African before being a Nigerian because d continent deserves a better representation in d global scene.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by ahmedoba22: 8:25am On Jan 03, 2014

MY VIEW

What's your view?
you no no football
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by midetinz(m): 8:25am On Jan 03, 2014
I don't agree wt this. Using the obvious parameters, lionel Messi did not deserve all the Ballon d' or he's won. So some silent parameters come into play in awarding AFOY. Cos for me, if it's about club and country participation then JJ Okocha should still be in court with CAF. Once u are nominated as best three, u are good enough to win the accolade. Mikel Obi, if eventually given is worth beign the AFOY. Sentiments apart,it's when the going gets tough that coaches instantly pk the option of a Mikel as a sub and that is to depict how startegically important he is for chelsea f.c. He is indeed a special player. He's part of the very few that Abrahamovich gave an applaud for scoring a goal. He contributes better to his club than the present Drogba and he won more trophies than Yaya last season. I think in all, I suspect OP as an arsenal or Man U fan!
#teammikelobi#
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by emmadan(m): 8:29am On Jan 03, 2014
naija noni: .
A player starts 3 straight matches,then starts 4rm d bench in d next,then
Start another 3 straight matches,
That is RESTING.
Jose in a post-match conference after d liverpool match said he only "RESTED" mikel in dat match becos mikel had played full 90 minutes in 3 straight matches before dat match.No chelsea player plays every match like i said.

Currently,
no chelsea player's 1st team shirt is guaranteed aside cech.
If you've been watching all chelsea's matches this season,u'll know that.
Hardly any player(aside cech) has started 5 or 6 straight matches dis season for chelsea without being benched.
no,after the liverpool match,jose said he rested mikel cos he had a flu.mikel played that match with a flu.for the fact that essein was healthy and hearty but mou prefered a sick mikel to a healthy essien should tell you how important mikel is to chelsea.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by striker9(m): 8:29am On Jan 03, 2014
safarigirl: lol, this after making the controversial statement "...it's those in his geographical area that support him..." niggur please don't kill ma vibe. Love indeed.
Don't mind him,me confirm Yoruba boi will support Mikel anyday anytime,na only igbo dey watch epl?that op statement is lame.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Amara And Kanu Nwankwo Kiss In Fitness Photo / Cristiano Ronaldo Drips Hard As He Arrives In Style To Boxing Match (Pix, Video) / Neymar Scores Stunning Bicycle Kick Goal On Return From Injury (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.