Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,944 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:25 AM

I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho - Sports (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho (54102 Views)

Suarez: I Came To Barca To Score Goals, Not Assist Messi / 'I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals' - Mourinho / Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by loswhite(m): 11:41am On Jan 06, 2014
rman: Mourinho should shut up.

You never recognized his ability to score goals or you always play conservative tactics even when you have only coached extremely talented teams.
The only striker to have flourished under you is Drogba. Benzema and Higuain became shadows of themselves immediately u took over Madrid. Apart from C Ronaldo that has exceptional talent, which striker has actually flourished under Mouh?

It happened to Shevy, Kezman, Torres and now Eto. You are a not the special one if you couldn't understand that Mikel was actually compared to Zidane in 2005 ,but u have turned him into a back passing, side passing can't run with the ball midfielder. What happened today is Mikel displaying the inherent talent u suppressed.
poor analyses. Strikers dat flourish under mourinho include Diego milito drogba ibrahamovich. Torres did not flourish under all d numerous managers dat were In Chelsea b4 he arrived so adding Torres to d list is plain silly plus comparing mikel to zindane in 2005 is really laughable sha. Maybe na only u and ur family do this comparison.

2 Likes

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by eprynce(m): 12:04pm On Jan 06, 2014
Bantino: Sharap there Mourinho, you killed our boy by assigning him a defending midfield role instead of the attacking midfield role that made him second best behind Messi

Why still cry over this already spilled milk 8 years after? Move on dudes!
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by xtervaganza(m): 12:28pm On Jan 06, 2014
luvable sam: See him saying he didn't realize Mikel had eyes for goals. As if he wasn't the one that almost killed Mikel's talents in relation to attacking football...mtcheew....
even if its once in a while, use your brain. How did Jose kill mikels talent? Mikel is/was never an attacking midfielder, he used to be a central midfielder like b4 José turned into a DM.

Or maybe you should tell me the number of goals Mikel scored for Nigeria or Lyn Oslo as an attacking midfielder.

P.s all mikel's goals were scored under José meaning he played with more freedom under José unlike other coaches who limited him
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by aspiliqueta(m): 12:31pm On Jan 06, 2014
OMO U GET TIME WRIT ALL THIS U RELY NO GET WRK t's why he has so many fans viewing the thread ; Johanu80, arimahoseloka, treasureboy09(m), mainkendo, Olu'femi Abbey(m), osasdiddy, horluwashegun, la furia(m), slyfoxxjoe(m), Imperial McHæl(m), Oba_
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by xtervaganza(m): 12:58pm On Jan 06, 2014
rman: Mourinho should shut up.

You never recognized his ability to score goals or you always play conservative tactics even when you have only coached extremely talented teams.
The only striker to have flourished under you is Drogba. Benzema and Higuain became shadows of themselves immediately u took over Madrid. Apart from C Ronaldo that has exceptional talent, which striker has actually flourished under Mouh?

It happened to Shevy, Kezman, Torres and now Eto. You are a not the special one if you couldn't understand that Mikel was actually compared to Zidane in 2005 ,but u have turned him into a back passing, side passing can't run with the ball midfielder. What happened today is Mikel displaying the inherent talent u suppressed.
I think you're mentally derailed. How did José ruin mikels career? By playing him ahead of equally illustrious teammates?

And Mikel a Zidane? Are you insane? How many goals did Mikel have at the 2005 u/20 world cup? Even Taiye Taiwo a fullback scored 3goals. Mikel is never a goal scorer and never will be. It was only José' forward thinking that saved mikels career by changing to a DM.

And tell me one youth prospect that played in the same position he started his career? Messi started as a winger now a forward(false 9), Nistelrooy started as a midfielder but ended up as a striker, Gerrard started as a DM later an attacking midfielder now a central midfielder, Beckham a right sided midfielder played more than half of his Madrid career as a central midfielder, pirlo from attacking midfileder to a deep lying playmaker so shut up if you don't understand football
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by xtervaganza(m): 1:00pm On Jan 06, 2014
And besides, fernandinho plays DM for man city just like Mikel for Chelsea and he has scored more for city already
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by Babamide(m): 1:55pm On Jan 06, 2014
This Mikel vs Messi and Mikel vs Yaya Toure war would cause riot in Nigeria one day
From my own point of view, Mourinho has helped Mikel career in every way possible.
It is a certainty that John Obi Mikel is atleast 3yrs older than lionel messi
Now, for an african player to play in an U20 competition and still have a blossoming career 9yrs after is an achievement!
Messi is a better goal scorer and contributor to his club but whenever they come against Mikel and Chelsea, they always dread the result.
On country level, Messi has a better statistic against mikel but they are both Indispensible to their country.

Yaya toure.
It is a known fact that what mikel has achieved with his club and country, Yaya 'Agbaya' Toure would never achieve!Yeah I said that.

Finally, if the AFOTY award is given on individual performance bases, Yaya Toure would win it
But if the award is strictly on team contribution, Mikel is the man.
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by safarigirl(f): 2:00pm On Jan 06, 2014
xtervaganza: And besides, fernandinho plays DM for man city just like Mikel for Chelsea and he has scored more for city already
ok, and how many did Makalele score for Chelsea in the same role in ten years?
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by Felixjude(m): 2:27pm On Jan 06, 2014
Mikel is a good player no doubt, but when I imagine the kind of player he would have been if not for mourinho who deployed him to the defensive mid field position, I shake my head. If u saw mikel @ the U-17 & U-20, you'd know what am talking about.
Even in the position he now plays, I do wonder why he is so scared of moving forward, in the modern game, all over the world, defensive mid field players score goals, unfortunately, he doesn't.
Therefore I don't why people are making a lot of noise, just because he has just scored one goal in as many games
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jan 06, 2014
airmark:

The rate at which your man utd is going down, they may find crude oil.

Kai, I don die. This guy is wicked grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by Chartey(m): 3:37pm On Jan 06, 2014
safarigirl: ok, and how many did Makalele score for Chelsea in the same role in ten years?
Football evolves. Nowadays, a defensive midfielder is required to join the attack when he's not intercepting passes and throwing tackles especially when his team are going for the kill. Makelele would have found present day football difficult.
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by Chartey(m): 3:39pm On Jan 06, 2014
Felixjude: Mikel is a good player no doubt, but when I imagine the kind of player he would have been if not for mourinho who deployed him to the defensive mid field position, I shake my head. If u saw mikel @ the U-17 & U-20, you'd know what am talking about.
Even in the position he now plays, I do wonder why he is so scared of moving forward, in the modern game, all over the world, defensive mid field players score goals, unfortunately, he doesn't.
Therefore I don't why people are making a lot of noise, just because he has just scored one goal in as many games
See what i typed earlier
Chartey:
That's really not an excuse for underperformance from Mikel. Schweinsteiger was converted from a winger to a central midfielder and he's one of the best midfielders in the game today. Ancelotti converted Ramires from a winger to a central midfielder, and he's ahead of Mikel at Chelsea. Fernandinho isn't really a defensive midfielder but he's playing the position so well at City. Please Mikel simply didn't live up to our expectation. There are many players who that happened to e.g Pato, Freddy Adu, Giovanni Dos Santos, Adiyiah(u20 golden ball winner just like Messi n Aguero), Seidou Keita(he could have been a much more better player) and a long list of others. Please leave Mourinho alone.
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jan 06, 2014
Swiftboy: where were you when they both played the world youth championship in Holland back in 2005/06?
Hahaha! He was still at pre-nursery school then.
Bros no vest na joke oo!!
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by texaco1: 5:21pm On Jan 06, 2014
Bantino: Sharap there Mourinho, you killed our boy by assigning him a defending midfield role instead of the attacking midfield role that made him second best behind Messi
someone please tell me this is a joke,how can somebody compare mikel and messi!!!!!! Haba
It will be a sin to even compare mikel to yaya touire or even etoo. Na wah for nigerians oooo

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by Emmycheeze: 9:09pm On Jan 06, 2014
Swiftboy: where were you when they both played the world youth championship in Holland back in 2005/06?
I get ham before no mean say u still get ham tongue tongue
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by xtervaganza(m): 9:19pm On Jan 06, 2014
safarigirl: ok, and how many did Makalele score for Chelsea in the same role in ten years?
listen, my point about Mikel not scoring wasn't to demean him. Mikel is a good player but its idiotic for anybody to suggest he would flourish as an attacking midfielder, he would have failed miserably as an AM.

and let's not compare Makelele to Mikel, during Makelele's time, he was peerless, no defensive midfielder ever came close to him so much the post ion was named after him. Have u ever come across the term “Makelele role in football?

Makelele was the best DM of his time so him not scoring was never a problem. Is Mikel the best DM of his own era?
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by thegoodjoehunt(m): 10:19pm On Jan 06, 2014

SHOCKING!!!!! FIFA Belittles Cristiano Ronaldo’s 2013 Achievements

https://www.nairaland.com/1583216/shocking-fifa-belittles-cristiano-ronaldo#20720193
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by babyboy3(m): 10:37pm On Jan 06, 2014

I didnt know Makalele spent 10 years for Chelsea
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by Alexsmith20(m): 12:10am On Jan 07, 2014
Toluwarni: Sign of greater things... grin grin I predict 20 goals for Mikel this season.. 2 down, 18 to go
mikel scored only 1 goal while oscar scored the second
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by thegoodjoehunt(m): 1:31am On Jan 07, 2014
Aifey: That cartey guy has d best football analysis on NL. Bravo. Abt mikel, I started liking his person at d finals in 2005 when Nigeria lost 2 howarb webb argentina + card. Mikel was spot crying like a baby on d side lines. It was so persionate. Seein tears like bebeto crying 4brazIl after loosin in d WC 94.
Yes, it was a very touching scene, especially when Sepp Blatter was consoling Mikel. I remember watching the game and screaming Maradona, I hope you are seeing how to play the 10 role (Maradona was in the stadium that day).
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by thegoodjoehunt(m): 1:37am On Jan 07, 2014
esshman:

Pls don't forget the fact that mikel was P'square's friend at Pepsi Academy. Meaning He probably trimmed his age for that 2005 tournament. if That's true, it is obvious that the age difference between him and Messi caused the little gap in-between them in 2005. As the two grows older, Mikel will obviously decline faster than Messi. We should rather be grateful to Mourinho for believing in him. Fergie would have dumped him just as He did Pogba, Manucho etc. Let's not forget that of all our players who have excelled at age-grade tournaments, only Mikel is close to world class. Where are Opabunmi, Chrisantus, Rabiu, Obasi, Promise, Bala Ezekiel and Yakubu Alfa?
Mikel is not as old as people make it. Mikel was in Pepsi football academy and he was a boy. Pepsi academy was for small boys. I have a friend who was in Pepsi academy at that time and he is in Mikel's stated age group. Or are they saying Mikel was 20 years old at Pepsi football academy?

Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by thegoodjoehunt(m): 2:05am On Jan 07, 2014
sucess001: to the OP who is just hating...see a review by a british journalist on mikel...

this shud shame you...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2534573/John-Obi-Mikel-How-Chelsea-man-transformed-seven-years-crucial-component.html
You notice when Mikel does make a mistake or misplace a pass, because it's so rare for him to do so.

Mikel is the best screen in front of the defence that Chelsea have - and is one of the best in the world at this role.

It does lead people to wonder why he hasn't contributed more goals and assists, but given his role in the side it's safety first for Mikel.

Too accurate. I have never read an article of someone who really understands Mikel as this. Nice post success001.
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by thegoodjoehunt(m): 2:20am On Jan 07, 2014
Mikel is also a big game player. His finest performance to date for the club came in the Champions League final, against Bayern Munich, the greatest night in Chelsea's history.

He was arguably man of the match on that day, although Didier Drogba's brilliant equaliser and cup-winning penalty kick overshadowed him on that day.

That's often the story for Mikel. A quiet, under-appreciated but crucial part of a trophy-winning side.
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by thegoodjoehunt(m): 12:37pm On Jan 07, 2014
xtervaganza: I think you're mentally derailed. How did José ruin mikels career? By playing him ahead of equally illustrious teammates?

And Mikel a Zidane? Are you insane? How many goals did Mikel have at the 2005 u/20 world cup? Even Taiye Taiwo a fullback scored 3goals. Mikel is never a goal scorer and never will be. It was only José' forward thinking that saved mikels career by changing to a DM.

And tell me one youth prospect that played in the same position he started his career? Messi started as a winger now a forward(false 9), Nistelrooy started as a midfielder but ended up as a striker, Gerrard started as a DM later an attacking midfielder now a central midfielder, Beckham a right sided midfielder played more than half of his Madrid career as a central midfielder, pirlo from attacking midfileder to a deep lying playmaker so shut up if you don't understand football
Mikel is actually that good if given the opportunity to play the central attacking midfield role. I believe he will give the world a shocker at the world cup.

Honestly, at the U20 final match. Mikel was better than Messi. It took two penalties for Mess I to make a true impact.

When Mikel was announced the Silver ball winner, the commentator said, "The world can now see why two of the biggest clubs in World football are fighting for JOHN MIKEL OBI".
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by NDprudent(m): 1:04pm On Jan 07, 2014
Ppl can talk nonsense shaa!!!! Afta mou's 1st reign @ cfc, dere has been series of coaches...y hasn't ,y of dem convertd him bak 2 an AMF?

He's doin well as a DMF, he's a great player, n he has a unique playing style.

As far as m concerned, nobody in cfc plays dat position beta dan mikel does... Giv d guy a break
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by thegoodjoehunt(m): 1:15pm On Jan 07, 2014
xtervaganza: listen, my point about Mikel not scoring wasn't to demean him. Mikel is a good player but its idiotic for anybody to suggest he would flourish as an attacking midfielder, he would have failed miserably as an AM.

and let's not compare Makelele to Mikel, during Makelele's time, he was peerless, no defensive midfielder ever came close to him so much the post ion was named after him. Have u ever come across the term “Makelele role in football?

Makelele was the best DM of his time so him not scoring was never a problem. Is Mikel the best DM of his own era?
Mikel would have excelled as a CAM. Of he wouldn't have, how come he flourished and did well against the best midfield players in national team football(Spain)?

He did well at the Nations Cup also. He was never given the opportunity, so writing him off is wrong.

Many didn't know Yaya could do well as a player in an attacking role till Mancini tried it.
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by thegoodjoehunt(m): 1:18pm On Jan 07, 2014
NDprudent: Ppl can talk nonsense shaa!!!! Afta mou's 1st reign @ cfc, dere has been series of coaches...y hasn't ,y of dem convertd him bak 2 an AMF?

He's doin well as a DMF, he's a great player, n he has a unique playing style.

As far as m concerned, nobody in cfc plays dat position beta dan mikel does... Giv d guy a break

Many of this coaches are not as bright as we think they are. As Mou put him in dmf, many are scared to be adventurous. Even Nigerian National team coaches couldn't. It took Coach Stephen Keshi to remind everyone how great Mikel is as a creative attack midfield player.
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by Chartey(m): 2:10pm On Jan 07, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: Mikel would have excelled as a CAM. Of he wouldn't have, how come he flourished and did well against the best midfield players in national team football(Spain)?

He did well at the Nations Cup also. He was never given the opportunity, so writing him off is wrong.

Many didn't know Yaya could do well as a player in an attacking role till Mancini tried it.
The truth is Yaya was making forward and defense-splitting through passes even as a DM at Barca. Most of Mikel's passes are diagonal and sideways being why he's got a high completed pass rate. He rarely makes adventurous passes. If he was that good as CAM at the Confed Cup, why didn't he have so many assists? Well, you may say the strikers wasted chances and there will be some truth in that. But the thing is if Nigeria had world class AMs like Chelsea has, Mikel would be played as a DM. National teams improvise in positions where there is dearth being why Uruguay used Forlan as an AM behind Suarez and Cavani at the 2010 world cup even though he was one of the best strikers in Europe that year. Michel Bastos was also used as a left-back to good effect by Brazil even though he was the best winger on the Lyon team and maybe France that season. Mikel is decent as a DM and when Nigeria gets a great AM to partner him, the midfield will be far better than it is right now.
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by thegoodjoehunt(m): 2:23pm On Jan 07, 2014
Chartey:
The truth is Yaya was making forward and defense-splitting through passes even as a DM at Barca. Most of Mikel's passes are diagonal and sideways being why he's got a high completed pass rate. He rarely makes adventurous passes. If he was that good as CAM at the Confed Cup, why didn't he have so many assists? Well, you may say the strikers wasted chances and there will be some truth in that. But the thing is if Nigeria had world class AMs like Chelsea has, Mikel would be played as a DM. National teams improvise in positions where there is dearth being why Uruguay used Forlan as an AM behind Suarez and Cavani at the 2010 world cup even though he was one of the best strikers in Europe that year. Michel Bastos was also used as a left-back to good effect by Brazil even though he was the best winger on the Lyon team and maybe France that season. Mikel is decent as a DM and when Nigeria gets a great AM to partner him, the midfield will be far better than it is right now.
Mikel has always made defense splitting passes. Did you see the passes he was spraying against Derby?

There was a pass under Ancelotti Mikel gave Anelka. When Anelka scored, everyone left Anelka and went to Mikel to celebrate.

Mancini turned Yaya from a defensive midfielder/defender at Barca into one of the best mid fielders in the world. No Ione knew Yaya could do it. If it is passes, Mikel is amazing.
Re: I Never Knew Mikel Could Score Goals - Mourinho by thegoodjoehunt(m): 2:30pm On Jan 07, 2014
Chartey:
If Forlan is was converted to a defensive midfielder early in his career and never given a chance to play forward, he would never have been known as one of the best attacking players of a generation. Mikel has never, not even once been given a chance at Chelsea to play there because of the amount of attacking players that have been at Chelsea. Like Deco, Joe Cole, Ballack, Tiago, Lampard, Raul Meireiles etc. Even now you have Oscar, Hazard, Willian, Mata, Van Ginkel, De Bruyne, Schurlle, Josh McEachran. On loan are Marin, Lucas Paizon, Oriol Romeu.

So Mikel hasn't even gotten the opportunity. Only Coach Keshi gave him the chance and he did well.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Mikel Obi's Jersey Number At Middlesbrough Unveiled, To Wear No 12 / Victor Osimhen scored another hat-trick in the Napoli jersey / Iheanacho Debut New Hairstyle As He Returns To Leicester City For Pre-season

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.