Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,845 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:30 AM

Boys Night Out Discussions - Family (142) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Boys Night Out Discussions (304413 Views)

I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism / Girls night out discussions / 11-yr-Old Girl Gets Pregnant For Five Boys (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) ... (182) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Nobody: 10:34pm On Nov 21, 2015
pickabeau1:

Good day ma'am
We like to have the ladies post but the posts must be something we can relate to
Lol

Post something we can relate to

angry

I got myself a new pair of shoes today, better? grin
Men are wonderful creatures. Best? cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Nobody: 10:45pm On Nov 21, 2015
5minsmadness:

Good evening.
Interesting response.
@bolded pls I would really like to know how you got to this point. How do you generate inner happiness/satisfaction or whatever regardless of being surrouded by unappreciativeness and hostility?

I focus on the positive all day and every day. There is something positive in everyone and everything and this is what I direct my attention to all day and every day. It requires some practice but the more you do it, the easier it gets and the more positive people and experiences you encounter.

I have stopped looking for love and appreciation in the wrong places and that is outside of myself. If I receive love and appreciation from someone, it feels good but I don't need it from anyone else because I love and appreciate myself enough. I don't allow myself to think negatively about myself. My love is unconditional.

I read a story once about a man who survived the Holocaust. His family, 4 or 5 kids and his wife, were killed by the Nazis. He was saved because he spoke many languages and the Nazis decided that he would be useful to them. He became a person who offered help and love to everyone around him in the midst of the most terrible circumstances because he knew that it was hatred that killed the people he loved the most and this is why he made the decision to love anyone who comes his way, no matter how long he would live, even the Nazis. This was my inspiration and this is how it started. I am not saying I am as good or strong as he was though, far from it. grin

@red bolded what about an abusive spouse? How does the victim cope when every day the spouse is out to make the other's life miserable?

Nobody should cope with an abusive spouse. The person should remove him-/herself from the situation, if only temporarily.

I'm seeing Buddhism and suddenly an alarm goes off in my head.
I know you said your philosophy doesnt have a name but i dont know why i find it hard to beleive. What are you selling ma'm?

I meditate and this is where my Buddhist lifestyle begins and ends.
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by RoyalRoy(m): 10:48pm On Nov 21, 2015
pickabeau1:
Please can you leave all this philosophy girlie stuff from here

This is the boys room

Hehehe
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by pickabeau1: 10:49pm On Nov 21, 2015
Mindfulness:

I got myself a new pair of shoes today, better? grin
Men are wonderful creatures. Best? cheesy cheesy cheesy

Good to know y you are happy with your new shoes but we can't help you here on that

Men?

I feel its women who are wonderful....muses over the centuries, cause of countless conflicts over the eons.

Why do u think men are reason to wonder about
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Nobody: 10:51pm On Nov 21, 2015
pickabeau1:

Good to know y you are happy with your new shoes but we can't help you here on that

Men?

I feel its women who are wonderful....muses over the centuries, cause of countless conflicts over the eons.

They are rather full of wonders and occasionally a reason to wonder, which is what makes relationships exciting. cheesy
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Nobody: 10:51pm On Nov 21, 2015
pickabeau1:

Men?

They are rather full of wonders and occasionally a reason to wonder, which is what makes relationships exciting. cheesy

It was a compliment, BTW. I could have also said great creatures. wink
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Nobody: 10:58pm On Nov 21, 2015
What drinks are available at a boys night out?

I am not very picky but I am quite thirsty because I have been talking a lot. cheesy
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by bellong: 11:05pm On Nov 21, 2015
Mindfulness:
What drinks are available at a boys night out?

I am not very picky but I am quite thirsty because I have been talking a lot. cheesy

Sapele water and burukutu
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Nobody: 11:09pm On Nov 21, 2015
bellong:

Sapele water and burukutu

Good you didn't offer anything non-alcoholic. I am very funny when tipsy. Give me the burukutu. cool
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by pickabeau1: 11:11pm On Nov 21, 2015
Mindfulness:

It was a compliment, BTW. I could have also said great creatures. wink

Hmmm.....makes sense

Let me ask a q

Can gender be changed or its immutable
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Nobody: 11:13pm On Nov 21, 2015
pickabeau1:

Hmmm.....makes sense

Let me ask a q

Can gender be changed or its immutable

Well, some people have changed it so it can be changed. It is quite expensive though, isn't it? I don't know much about it because I don't care. undecided
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by MizMyColi(f): 11:19pm On Nov 21, 2015
@RoyalRoy
That was unfairsad
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by bellong: 12:15am On Nov 22, 2015
Mindfulness:

Good you didn't offer anything non-alcoholic. I am very funny when tipsy. Give me the burukutu. cool

Obviously, you don't know the two.. They conc. alcoholic drinks. It will be nice to see your "very funny" side.. wink
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by TV01(m): 12:53am On Nov 22, 2015
Mindfulness:
I ask a lot of questions to acquire a deeper and profound understanding. I was very neutral on one of the threads, which I think you are referring to here, until I was confronted with a huge amount of bias, which I felt needed some balance. Whatever the result of all it was, I had a lot of fun and I learned many things.
I can understand learning about specific situations, issues or topics, but where there is a moral call to be made, does your belief provide a ready made answer?A directive say or perhaps a template?

Mindfulness:
That's the problem and that's the reason why so many discussions end in insults or long-lasting hostility. People defend their positions like they know it all and like they are in possession of an objective truth.
Are you saying there is no, or no such thing as objective truth? I believe truth is eternal and unchanging.

Mindfulness:
It would be more fun and more fruitful if we were able to accept the fact that our opinions are just opinions, which are often based on our very subjective experience and perception.
To some degree perhaps - but some things are fixed. Some objective and undeniable. Truth cannot be based purely on experience and perception.

Mindfulness:
We should also remember that we are evolving beings, who continuously learn and therefore should feel free and be open-minded enough to change our views. I don't think anyone here has the same views at the age of 25 or 30 that he or she had when they were 14.
Even if we as humans grow, if our understanding develops, that does not mean that objective truth evolves with us.

Mindfulness:
This is why I love children and teenagers so much. They are so much more open-minded. They don't have extremely rigid opinions but their brains are also much more plastic - which is why it is easier for them to acquire new knowledge and therefore to change their perspective. wink
True, but this speaks nothing to the nature of the divine, objective truth or morals. May I ask, do you have children of your own?

Mindfulness:
Everyone has the right to pursue happiness. The rest of the statement is taken out of context and I wouldn't subscribe to it unconditionally.
And where is this right derived from? On what principle is it based? You've said it's not unconditional, where does it start and end?

Mindfulness:
Nobody is responsible for someone else's happiness.
Is this also conditional?
In as much as I am not expressly responsible for my wife' happiness, I owe her a duty of care, not least because of the vows I took, the commitment we made, how much we have both invested into the relationship and our shared responsibilities including our lovely children.

I discharge my duty and obligations as best I can and don't prioritise her happiness per se, but if I fail in my responsibilities, she has every right to be unhappy.

If I were to abandon our home and kids for a younger, fresher, sexier version - and there is always one - just because it would make me "happy/happier", have I done no wrong, am I within my rights to pursue happiness? does she not have the right to feel aggrieved?

Is she supposed to remain happy with the burden I've left her with, the loss our children will suffer, or else be considered "emotionally unhealthy"?

Mindfulness:
I can judge behavior but I don't want to judge or condemn a human being.
I agree with this, judgement is not ultimately with me, but I know who it is with. And I don't believe un-repented wrong-doing or behaviour will go unpunished. I can't gloss this over with "go and heal". It's "repent of your ways" or "go and sin no more".

How does one heal of bad behaviour or a wicked character? Are human being intrinsically good,or capable of self-healing?

Mindfulness:
Emotionally healthy people surround themselves with people and things that are good for them. I don't want to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do
So why judge behaviour then?

And how do you reach out charitably to those in need, hurting or fallen, if you are only concerned with surrounding yourself with the good,and for your own sake?

Mindfulness:
but it is possible to be happy regardless of conditions and circumstances. It has been a very liberating lesson for me to understand that I do not need anyone to feel good
Ok, as a Christian, I have joy and hope whatever, but how I feel - good or bad - counts for very little.

Mindfulness:
and that my spouse's presence or absence is not necessary for me to feel great. From this place, I can love my spouse unconditionally even when the person leaves and I am so full of happiness and joy that my spouse loves to be around me. I do not place on anyone the responsibility and burden of me feeling good and satisfied. Whatever you do for me, you do it freely and if you can't do it from a place of joy, you don't have to do it at all. I, for my part, have a lot of love to share.
In all then, why do you need a spouse if you feel great regardless?
Why take marital vows and commit if they can depart - with your blessings - if they no longer feel it?
What are your honest views on the traditional concept of marriage?

Mindfulness:
My ideology is that it is good to be selfish and that by being selfish I have a lot to offer. My theology is that we are all Gods / Goddesses.
This would be a good place to revisit what you define as love - not self-love though, that's already quite cler cheesy

Mindfulness:
It is my pleasure to share it with you as long as we can remain friendly and respectful. MizMyColi, just like I, discovered a great spiritual teacher along the beautiful journey called life and this is what we have in common. However, my beautiful, spiritual journey didn't begin and end with this teacher and I have taken the whole thing a step further meanwhile.
More on this teacher andtheir teachings please - even if only briefly

Mindfulness:
I feel honored. cheesy
You should - but the expectation is high.

Mindfulness:
It doesn't have a name. It is a spiritual journey but my personal one and not bound to any particular school of thought, philosophy or ideology. I am notorious for cherry-picking. I am in love with Buddhism as a life style and I embrace many of the Christian core values, as I understand and interpret them, but I am neither a Buddhist nor a Christian. I am a divine and eternal being and I believe that everyone else is, too. Even those who irritate me at times. cheesy wink
I can't speak for Buddhism,but if you value Christianity as you personally interpret it, its not Christianity in any real sense.

Thanks for your responses so far. Nothing surprising or to change my opinion thus far, but at least I have not left that opinion unquestioned.

TV
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by TV01(m): 12:58am On Nov 22, 2015
MizMyColi:

If you would, I'd prefer I answer questions directed at me.

Thanks and Good Evening From Nigeria, TV01.
No problem Miz, it may be better 1 on 1. Greetings from the "just turned really cold" angry UK.

TV
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by RoyalRoy(m): 5:55am On Nov 22, 2015
MizMyColi:
@RoyalRoy
That was unfairsad

I don't think so madam. There is a certain rule against that you know!

Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by pickabeau1: 6:31am On Nov 22, 2015
Mindfulness:

Well, some people have changed it so it can be changed. It is quite expensive though, isn't it? I don't know much about it because I don't care. undecided

Do you think changing the physical container changes the substrate within?
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by MizMyColi(f): 7:22am On Nov 22, 2015
RoyalRoy:

I don't think so madam. There is a certain rule against that you know!

If I knew, I wouldn't have continued with.

I'm really not the kind that breaks forum rules except I have to, and when I do, I take full responsibility.

T's all good though.
Lesson learned.
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by MizMyColi(f): 7:26am On Nov 22, 2015
TV01:

No problem Miz, it may be better 1 on 1. Greetings from the "just turned really cold" angry UK.
TV

Aha
I thought as much @UK.

I'd do anything to have a feel of that "really cold" on my skin.
cheesy

I'm game when you're game @1 on 1.
wink

Good Morning.
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Nobody: 10:47am On Nov 22, 2015
TV01:

I can understand learning about specific situations, issues or topics, but where there is a moral call to be made, does your belief provide a ready made answer?A directive say or perhaps a template?

Yes, I do have a "template". Anything that disconnects humans from their divine core within them is wrong in the way that it violates their most natural desire , which is well-being.

Are you saying there is no, or no such thing as objective truth? I believe truth is eternal and unchanging.

To some degree perhaps - but some things are fixed. Some objective and undeniable. Truth cannot be based purely on experience and perception. Even if we as humans grow, if our understanding develops, that does not mean that objective truth evolves with us.

Define objective truth, please.

True, but this speaks nothing to the nature of the divine, objective truth or morals. May I ask, do you have children of your own?

What is the nature of the divine? Which morals are universal?

And where is this right derived from? On what principle is it based? You've said it's not unconditional, where does it start and end?

It is based on the knowledge that EVERY living being desires to feel good. This is the most natural trait that all humans and possibly animals and maybe even plants have in common. It starts and ends with our connection to the divine. Whenever there is a disconnection, there is a disconnection from well-being.

Is this also conditional?
In as much as I am not expressly responsible for my wife' happiness, I owe her a duty of care, not least because of the vows I took, the commitment we made, how much we have both invested into the relationship and our shared responsibilities including our lovely children.

You took these vows and you made the commitment and investment because you desired it. It feels good and right to you and this is why it works so well (I have the impression that it does based on your submissions). You derive pleasure from taking care of your wife and children and I imagine that they enjoy and appreciate this care immensely - but you and they wouldn't - if you didn't come from a place of joy. You should stress the pleasure and joy you derive from your family more than anything else. I think that this is the most effective way to advertise successfully for marriage and healthy families, which is what you are trying to achieve here most of the time, don't you?

If I may add, I have the impression that you often miss your goal by focusing too much on the negative. Your latest submissions on this thread had a good intention but the good was clouded by a huge amount of negativity. You chose the heading "Run young man, run" and then directed the young man's attention to the unwanted which brought him / them to a long description of women you wanted them to avoid. It would be a much more positive and much more effective and aim-oriented approach to bring them to the wanted by directing their attention to it instead of directing their attention to the unwanted, one-sidedly. You could have written about the desired traits in a woman because you cannot get to the wanted by focusing on the unwanted. In this way you would have helped them to look for the "right" traits in a woman, the only way to find them.

I discharge my duty and obligations as best I can and don't prioritise her happiness per se, but if I fail in my responsibilities, she has every right to be unhappy.

You have freely, consciously and - I believe - joyfully made the decision to take on some certain responsibilities and this is why you stick to it. Your joy is the most important factor in the success of your marriage. It is your motivation. This is where an important lesson can be learned for all of those who are not yet married. Some people consider marriage a sacrifice when in fact they desire to enjoy marriage. The only way to a long lasting marriage and a healthy family is the pursuit of exactly this desire.

As for the rest, your wife would have every right to feel whatever she would feel in such a situation - be it sadness, resentment or hatred. The question is, would it help?

If I were to abandon our home and kids for a younger, fresher, sexier version - and there is always one - just because it would make me "happy/happier", have I done no wrong, am I within my rights to pursue happiness? does she not have the right to feel aggrieved?

If you stayed with her even though you felt unhappy, and even though you didn't fancy her and considered her a burden and annoying, do you think you would give her anything that would serve her? Is it what she truly wants? A man who stays with her even though he resents her?

Like I said, she has the right to feel the whole variety of emotions - but then again - would it help?

Is she supposed to remain happy with the burden I've left her with, the loss our children will suffer, or else be considered "emotionally unhealthy"?

She is not supposed to do anything, I would just recommend for her to find ways to soothe herself because this is what she has control over. She can't control you but she can control they way she feels. I don't consider people who feel sadness emotionally unhealthy. This is not what I said.

I agree with this, judgement is not ultimately with me, but I know who it is with. And I don't believe un-repented wrong-doing or behaviour will go unpunished. I can't gloss this over with "go and heal". It's "repent of your ways" or "go and sin no more".

This is where subjective truth sets in. I have a totally different image or concept of the divine. I don't share the notion that God is someone who created humans evil and is punishing them for the mistakes he made even though he is almighty. Is he a psychopath? He is responsible for the creation and yet others have to be punished for the way he made them? undecided

How does one heal of bad behaviour or a wicked character? Are human being intrinsically good,or capable of self-healing?

By living life's lessons of we reap what we sow. I believe that humans are intrinsically good. As a father you actually know it. wink
And yes human beings are capable of self-healing because we always learn and develop.

So why judge behaviour then?

We need to evaluate and re-evaluate our choices to find ways to achieve what we want to achieve. This is what we came here for.

And how do you reach out charitably to those in need, hurting or fallen, if you are only concerned with surrounding yourself with the good,and for your own sake?

If I don't feel good in the first place, there is nothing I have to offer. If I feel love, joy and pleasure in abundance, I can share it and give people what they need. This is why I love the following Bible passage so much 'Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these.' It means that we need to love ourselves FIRST. If we succeed, love for others comes naturally and unstoppably.

Ok, as a Christian, I have joy and hope whatever, but how I feel - good or bad - counts for very little.

As above, if you don't feel good, there is nothing you can do for others that is of greater value.

In all then, why do you need a spouse if you feel great regardless?

I don't need my spouse to feel good but I love sharing my happiness with him. I also cherish the times when he reflects to me that I am not in a place of unconditional love because it helps me practice unconditional love and it helps me connect with God.

Why take marital vows and commit if they can depart - with your blessings - if they no longer feel it?

People should take marital vows, which suit them best, and do it out of pure joy.

What are your honest views on the traditional concept of marriage?

What is the traditional concept of marriage?

This would be a good place to revisit what you define as love - not self-love though, that's already quite cler cheesy

You are a father, you know what unconditional love means, words can't express it.

More on this teacher andtheir teachings please - even if only briefly

His name is Eckhart Tolle. He was a university teacher with a very promising academic career but suffering greatly from depression. He was about to kill himself due to the unhappiness and discord he was feeling within himself. In the midst of his most profound suffering he discovered that it was his mindset, his way of thinking that led to his suffering. He discovered that his source of unhappiness are his thoughts and the identification with them. He found ways to stop this unbearable flow of negative thoughts and found peace.

You should - but the expectation is high.

I am connected to God, there is nothing I can't do. wink

I can't speak for Buddhism,but if you value Christianity as you personally interpret it, its not Christianity in any real sense.

I value some of the Christian values.

Christianity in the real sense? What is it? Why are there so many different churches if there is Christianity in any real sense?

Thanks for your responses so far. Nothing surprising or to change my opinion thus far, but at least I have not left that opinion unquestioned.

TV

I am not here to change your views but I do hope that you enjoy the interaction.
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Nobody: 11:09am On Nov 22, 2015
This thread:
www.nairaland.com/2752991/two-nigerians-street-fight-italy

Does anyone agree with me that the victim was exaggerating the degree of harm? Na so e easy to kill pesin?

As an addendum, what's y'all take on violence and giving as good as you get? I posit that sure, 9 times out of 10,you should walk away from a fight. But how about that one time your back's to the wall? Or your partner is at risk.
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by Fkforyou(m): 12:24pm On Nov 22, 2015
futurewise11:

You are a Fool for bringing that nonsense over here.....Stick around this thread if you want to learn alot otherwise carry your baggage and leave....mtschwww.

1 Like

Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by MichealEmeritus: 12:52pm On Nov 22, 2015
MizMyColi:

Aha
I thought as much @UK.

I'd do anything to have a feel of that "really cold" on my skin.
cheesy

I'm game when you're game @1 on 1.
wink

Good Morning.

You want to go to Obodo Oyinbo

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by ApexTitan(m): 1:19pm On Nov 22, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKcWu0tsiZM

This video probably deserves a thread of its own but I think I'll just leave it here. Enjoy!
Re: Boys Night Out Discussions by An0nimus: 2:11pm On Nov 22, 2015
Fkforyou:

You are a Fool for bringing that nonsense over here.....Stick around this thread if you want to learn alot otherwise carry your baggage and leave....mtschwww.
No 1 reason why I follow this thread. Please ignore him, you have passed across your message.

(1) (2) (3) ... (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) ... (182) (Reply)

My Madam And Me / Introverts Lounge (Extroverts Pls Keep Off !!) / The Family Section Fun Room!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.