Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,144 members, 7,849,570 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 01:36 AM

Yoruba Obas A Let-down - Osoba - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Obas A Let-down - Osoba (831 Views)

Yoruba Obas Squatting To Snap With Buhari (Photo) / Osoba, Daniel Set To Join APC / GEJ Wasn't Cursed But Blessed By Yoruba Obas (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Obas A Let-down - Osoba by DeepZone: 8:00am On Aug 11, 2008
[size=14pt]Yoruba Obas a let-down - Osoba [/size]
By Tunde Abatan, Deputy Editor, Sunday

Former Ogun State governor, Olusegun Osoba has said that Yoruba monarchs are a let-down to both their race and the country.

He spoke during the week in response to a recent call by Yoruba monarchs and five governors of the South West for a stop to the criticisms against former President Olusegun Obasanjo.

According to Osoba, the Yoruba traditional rulers lost their respect by unwittingly looking the other way while Obasanjo "misruled" the country and "bastardised" the value system of the Yoruba in particular.

In an exclusive interview with the Sunday Independent, Osoba expressed dismay over the attitude of the Obas saying they never called the former President to order while his eight-year tenure lasted.

Osoba said as traditional rulers and leaders, the Obas are expected to provide insight and guidance for their subjects, adding that in Yoruba land, even before the emergence of modern system of government, there were checks and balances as regards how any Oba uses his position.

He regretted that today's traditional rulers who issued a statement recently in Ibadan, the Oyo state capital in defence of Obasanjo, have lost their respect among the people.

Osoba said as the protector of the Yoruba culture, the monarchs are expected to be above board adding, "I was thoroughly disappointed that our royal fathers would commit themselves into partisan politics and as the custodian and protector of the Yoruba culture, they should know that Yoruba culture does not suffer fools and does not tolerate misdemeanor, perfidy and the destruction of the core values."

He said for them to come out in defence of the negative aspect of the projection of Yoruba culture as done by Obasanjo for eight years is to say the least, "painful."

"By that statement are they saying that if a man is an armed robber we can swim and sink with that armed robber?

"What advice did they give him when he was misruling us for eight years and dragging the Yoruba name in disregard? "During the tenure elongation project when he was asking for life presidency, what advice did they offer him? Is life presidency tenable in Yoruba culture? Even in Yoruba culture, when an Oba falls out with his people and his kingmakers, he knows what to do.

"Obas in those days would go in and commit suicide. What did they do to correct Obasanjo?"

Osoba expressed surprise that the royal fathers could summon courage to come out in the open to "defend somebody who throughout his eight year tenure said he is not a Yoruba man, but a Nigerian."

His words: "Here is a man who created a wrong image of the Yoruba throughout his eight year rule and has always been saying that he is not a Yoruba man, but an Owu man. Somebody who made more enemies than friends during his reign. Are we now to inherit the enemies that Obasanjo made by this behaviour?"

Osoba wondered why the traditional rulers did not call him to order, when he was preaching transparency and honesty but was doing the contrary as reflected in the many revelations of corruption against him today.

Osoba also took a swipe at the traditional rulers for protesting against the tribunal judgement that asked Governor Segun Agagu of Ondo state to leave office saying, "that doesn't speak well of the institution of royal fathers."

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/aug/9/705.html
Re: Yoruba Obas A Let-down - Osoba by DeepZone: 8:02am On Aug 11, 2008
Na waah, people are just biting each other in Nigeria these days. No more brotherhood or sisterhood because of money.
Re: Yoruba Obas A Let-down - Osoba by AloyEmeka9: 8:57am On Aug 11, 2008
Did Obasanjo stop this man from winning the 2nd term? Why hate him so much? e don reach the time wey dem go begin shoot each other again. We never mourn(wetin be their names again for lagos & Ekiti gov aspirant?) finish .
Re: Yoruba Obas A Let-down - Osoba by dudubobo1: 1:52pm On Aug 11, 2008
Go and ask Ogun State civil servants what they think of Osoba. The man should keep quiet jare.
His wife was the tyrant, though unelected, in Ogun State. na wa for the woman yet her children na real spoilt ajebota dem. Osoba should Meshionu
Re: Yoruba Obas A Let-down - Osoba by DeepZone: 4:40am On Aug 12, 2008
Go and ask Ogun State civil servants what they think of Osoba. The man should keep quiet jare.
His wife was the tyrant, though unelected, in Ogun State. na wa for the woman yet her children na real spoilt ajebota them. Osoba should Meshionu

Do you know her personally?

@Bold,
Re: Yoruba Obas A Let-down - Osoba by TPS360: 5:06am On Aug 12, 2008
Osoba is saying the truth but I think he should also include himself
Re: Yoruba Obas A Let-down - Osoba by DeepZone: 5:58am On Aug 12, 2008

Roflmao.
Re: Yoruba Obas A Let-down - Osoba by dudubobo1: 1:38pm On Aug 12, 2008
DeepZone:

Do you know her personally?

@Bold,

Let's just say yes
Re: Yoruba Obas A Let-down - Osoba by Pataki: 1:45pm On Aug 12, 2008
A row call of animals with horns was proclaimed, cockroach sef carry hin antennae comot for show.

Rubbish and nonsense. Osoba is the last dolt to open his mouth and talk of corruption against any other person.
Re: Yoruba Obas A Let-down - Osoba by DeepZone: 4:20pm On Aug 12, 2008
A row call of animals with horns was proclaimed, cockroach sef carry hin antennae comot for show.

Rubbish and nonsense. Osoba is the last dolt to open his mouth and talk of corruption against any other person.

Who is not corrupt among our leaders? They are all fending for themselves and protecting their business and political interest.
Re: Yoruba Obas A Let-down - Osoba by lucabrasi(m): 5:12pm On Aug 12, 2008
TPS360:

y should he include himself,is he a traditional ruler?
Pataki:

irrespective of his moral standing the fact is that he is right
Re: Yoruba Obas A Let-down - Osoba by DeepZone: 10:35pm On Aug 12, 2008
irrespective of his moral standing the fact is that he is right
Here comes the moral compass again judging the Obas. Are you better than those Obas? How are you sure that what osoba said is true and he's not talking from strife and the fact that Obasanjo may have messed him up politically?
Re: Yoruba Obas A Let-down - Osoba by idupaul: 10:36pm On Aug 12, 2008
hmmmm so he tot they would stay loyal
Re: Yoruba Obas A Let-down - Osoba by AloyEmeka9: 11:21pm On Aug 12, 2008
For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God including my man, Osoba.
Re: Yoruba Obas A Let-down - Osoba by TPS360: 11:29pm On Aug 12, 2008
DeepZone:

Roflmao.

don't get me wrong, we all know that osoba is not a ruler , all am saying is that he as not moral grounds to say that yoruba leaders are corrupt when he himself was a let down
Re: Yoruba Obas A Let-down - Osoba by AloyEmeka9: 11:34pm On Aug 12, 2008

don't get me wrong, we all know that osoba is not a ruler , all am saying is that he as not moral grounds to say that yoruba leaders are corrupt when he himself was a let down

I think we all should have our right to speak out as provided by the Nigerian 10th amendment. Freedom of speech!!!!
Re: Yoruba Obas A Let-down - Osoba by idupaul: 11:36pm On Aug 12, 2008
I think we all should have our right to speak out as provided by the Nigerian 10th amendment. Freedom of speech!!!!

freedom of speech was never an amendment ooo, twas in he original article.
Re: Yoruba Obas A Let-down - Osoba by AloyEmeka9: 11:40pm On Aug 12, 2008
freedom of speech was never an amendment ooo[b], twas in he original article.[/b]

I don die for laughter here. Sorry sir. grin grin grin grin
Re: Yoruba Obas A Let-down - Osoba by idupaul: 11:44pm On Aug 12, 2008
Aloy.Emeka:

I don die for laughter here. Sorry sir. grin grin grin grin

An amendment is a change to the constitution of a nation or a state. In jurisdictions with "rigid" or "entrenched" constitutions amendments require a special procedure different from that used for enacting ordinary laws.

AS U KNOW GET SENSE and u think say u get.
Re: Yoruba Obas A Let-down - Osoba by DeepZone: 4:44pm On Aug 13, 2008
Do we have anything like free speech in our constitution?
Re: Yoruba Obas A Let-down - Osoba by lucabrasi(m): 9:43pm On Aug 13, 2008
DeepZone:

Here comes the moral compass again judging the Obas. Are you better than those Obas? How are you sure that what osoba said is true and he's not talking from strife and the fact that Obasanjo may have messed him up politically?
wats your pointlike i said irrespective of his personality,situation e.t.c the fact is that he is right in that assertion,which one is moral compass again, oga o
Aloy.Emeka:

i tire o,to think i was only contributing to his/her thread, nairaland

(1) (Reply)

I Wish Nigeria Luck — Obasanjo / Is Fashola taking Law Into His Hands? / Time Magazine Man Of The Year:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.