Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,855 members, 7,828,084 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:51 PM

Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? (17698 Views)

Are We Nigerians Really Smart? / Anti-corruption War: What Do Nigerians Really Want? / Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? by SisiKill1: 12:11am On Feb 01, 2012
kingoflag:

No, this isnt Williams.

This is Harry. And you'll do yourself good to hurry up and read past Page four because youre missing out on a lot.
Oh shoot!! I was gonna guess Harry but I thought nah. . .Harry is the happy go lucky one, William seems to be more socially aware, no?

Ah! Either way, it's an honor to have you in our midst!

We're not worthy, we're not worthy

Okay this is the part you say. . ."You are worthy, You are worthy get up" cheesy
Re: Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? by Nobody: 12:12am On Feb 01, 2012
bookface:

Your dad

Your Mum

So now we established the dumb factor must be genetical.

Now you want to deny those parents of yours that shielded you from the poor of society, not fair! undecided
Re: Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? by SisiKill1: 12:14am On Feb 01, 2012
Enough with the insults on the parents jo, ahn ahn, what is wrong with you two? angry angry

If I have to say that again, it is time out for both of you. . .I don't care if the Saudi Prince is your God father!!
Re: Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? by Nobody: 12:15am On Feb 01, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Oh shoot!! I was gonna guess Harry but I thought nah. . .Harry is the happy go lucky one, William seems to be more socially aware, no?

Ah! Either, it's an honor to have you in our midst!

We're not worthy, we're not worthy

Okay this is the part you say. . ."You are worthy, You are worthy get up" cheesy

And how hard was that?Paying homage didnt kill you, did it?

This is all these dum*mies had to do from jump instead they wanted to impress on me how they eat $30/plates of Eba and how there are no poor people in Nigeria.

Omo daa da. You can get up now. Obviously, you were trained by your parents.
Re: Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? by Kobojunkie: 12:19am On Feb 01, 2012
Arosa

Re: Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ?
« #193 on: Yesterday at 08:17:13 PM »

here is a link to something similar.
How a cash-strapped teacher beat credit crunch by living on £1 a day for a YEAR after drunken bet

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1052710/How-cash-strapped-teacher-beat-credit-crunch-living-1-day-YEAR-drunken-bet.html#ixzz1l46rpNhM
The cash-strapped teacher had an alcohol-induced wager with friends that she could beat the credit crunch by living on just £1 a day for a whole year - and won.
Miss Kelly, 47, ate at free buffets, shopped at jumble sales and scavenged food discarded by grocery stores and restaurants.

She picked fruit from bushes and trees and collected £117 in loose change dropped in the street - a third of her annual budget.
She even managed a free trip to France by hitchhiking through the Channel Tunnel.
And to cap it all, she found love while working as a volunteer on an organic farm during the holidays.
Miss Kelly was sharing a house in Hotwells, Bristol, when she complained to her friends over a few glasses of wine that she could not afford a wedding present for her brother Danny.
She boldly announced that she would survive on £1 a day for the 12 months up to the wedding.

Oh!! So you want the poor people to come tell you there story, in sort of the format above, before you will believe they do exist and are poor? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? by SisiKill1: 12:29am On Feb 01, 2012
kingoflag:

And how hard was that?Paying homage didnt kill you, did it?

This is all these dum*mies had to do from jump instead they wanted to impress on me how they eat $30/plates of Eba and how there are no poor people in Nigeria.

Omo daa da. You can get up now. Obviously, you were trained by your parents.
Ehn. . .you too you didn't help matters. We are talking about poverty here and you just stroll in with your messiah complex, flashing your membership card to the who is who club. That kinda attitude is bound to set people on edge naa. Next time just sprinkle some humility into the dish of "rescue" you are serving, okay.

Hey, don't worry, I got your back. . .protecting Oblivious Royals is my second. . .third job. wink
Re: Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? by chei: 12:41am On Feb 01, 2012
emiye:

Nigeria’s high poverty level

PDFPrintE-mail

Written by . Thursday, 27 January 2011 00:00
inShare
SocButtons plugin

Only recently, at the Annual Microfinance Conference and Entrepreneurship Awards held in Abuja, the Central Bank Governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, stated that that 70 percent (105 million) of Nigerians are now living below the poverty line, up from 54 percent a year or two ago. Sanusi added that such high incidence of poverty threatened national economic growth and development. Included in this troubling reality is over 12 million youths, mostly educated and potentially productive, who are unemployed.

The authorities must recognise this development for what it really is: a threat to the security and stability the nation.

From a monetary perspective, Sanusi emphasized the need to develop a financial sector that is inclusive, geared to empower potential investors big and small so as to improve people’s lives, lamenting that 46.3 percent of Nigerians are financially excluded due to low level bank penetration in the country, and that beside the 815 Microfinance Banks, the 24 ‘big banks’ have only 5,789 branches, mostly concentrated in a few urban centres.

\http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10864:nigerias-high-poverty-level&catid=17:editorial&Itemid=9

How exactly did the poverty index leapfrog from 54 percent to 70 percent in just a year or two? Abi na subsidies?
Personally, I dont believe the poverty rate is 70 percent. If it is seventy percent, that means seventy percent of nigerians are unemployed/underemployed, don't save, barely feed, dont go to school etc. And the economy depends on the remaining 30 percent for survival

thats definitely not true
Re: Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? by Kobojunkie: 12:58am On Feb 01, 2012
^^^ Poverty index in Nigeria was never at 54%. It has not been near that since the last 20 years ago at least.

And No, you do not need to be UNEMPLOYED to be poor or very poor. That is why there is the below $1.25 a day and below $2 a day marks to help guage how poor people are.
Re: Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? by chei: 1:11am On Feb 01, 2012
Kobojunkie:

^^^ Poverty index in Nigeria was never at 54%. It has not been near that since the last 20 years ago at least.

The Central Bank Governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, stated that that 70 percent (105 million) of Nigerians are now living below the poverty line, up from 54 percent a year or two ago.
No be me talk am o

Kobojunkie:

And No, you do not need to be UNEMPLOYED to be poor or very poor. That is why there is the below $1.25 a day and below $2 a day marks to help guage how poor people are.

I know. But remember I also said underemployed.
Re: Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? by Nobody: 1:17am On Feb 01, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Ehn. . .you too you didn't help matters. We are talking about poverty here and you just stroll in with your messiah complex, flashing your membership card to the who is who club. That kinda attitude is bound to set people on edge naa. Next just sprinkle some humility into the dish of "rescue" you are serving. Don't worry, I got your back. . .protecting Oblivious Royals is my second. . .third job. wink

Ok, yeah maybe in a way it might have come off as over the top. But, this is a faceless online forum and if youre putting your point forward (in this case that theres abject poverty in Nigeria and that we all have to bandy together to fight it) and someone is trying to belittle you by telling you "We'll theres no poverty in Nigeria because I do not know anyone that poor" or "I eat $30 plates of Eba so wheres the poverty?" or "My mother pays her employees bla bla bla and they survive, so where are the poor people?", my only recourse was to deflate their puny little egos a little bit especially as they started to get personal over an obvious truth.

I met, know, or spoke to an NBA player (even) in passing--- big deal. I made an analogy of a car I was driving, and I sighted impoverished people staring into space--my companion thought they were staring at the car; I thought otherwise.Categorically, I refrained from mentioning the name of the car---jealousy kicked in "Hey, you know poor people why should you now claim to have ever been in a luxury car?". I mentioned the Ex.Govs kids in Boston and the Govs concubines in Atl and various other cities----public knowledge. All kinds of insults because they want to pretend to be rich kids and pretend poverty is non-existent.

I'm sorry, but I'll retaliate if hit and if pissed I'll strike. End of Story

So, yeah, maybe I should have shown a little restraint, but they were going for my jugular, so I went for their hearts. In war its any means necessary.
Re: Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? by Kobojunkie: 1:19am On Feb 01, 2012
chei:

No be me talk am o
Where did you get 54% from?
chei:

I know. But remember I also said underemployed.
I know everyone is running on this NEW minimum wage daze that they forget the true reality of life pre- the increase.

Before minimum wage was increased to Naira 18,000 last July or so, it was Naira 6500. Majority of Nigerians, even civil servants earned Naira 6500 and were very poor, not just poor.  Fast Forward now to post-minimum-wage-increase, and we forget that in Nigeria

a) the increase affected more immediately those who worked in government, and to a lesser extent those who worked in the public sector --- essentially, there still many out there who probably never got a raise.

b) Since majority of Nigerians are self-employed( hawkers, market women, truck pushers, okada riders, farmers, bricklayers, construction workers etc.) They likely cannot afford to give themselves this raise and so have probably not seen their realities change in all that time as well.
Re: Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? by emiye(m): 2:02am On Feb 01, 2012
chei:

How exactly did the poverty index leapfrog from 54 percent to 70 percent in just a year or two? Abi na subsidies?
Personally, I dont believe the poverty rate is 70 percent. If it is seventy percent, that means seventy percent of nigerians are unemployed/underemployed, don't save, barely feed, dont go to school etc. And the economy depends on the remaining 30 percent for survival

thats definitely not true
The problem with that your boldened statement is that you are looking at your immediate environment and doubting what several well reputed agencies have worked on. The 54% is more from the Nigerian govt.

Your problem of not believing the poverty rate is 70 percent is the same problem many of our elected leaders have, what they see in their immediate environment does not look grimming, so all should be relativelly well.

You need a bigger picture and not just a myopic way of looking at things in life to have a fairer understanding of the situation.

Your case is like that of an election observer who went to a polling unit in Nigeria, and observed that voters came out enmasse, were orderly, and voted freely and fairly, and came out to say Election in Nigeria was free and fair.

What many nigerians (both poor and rich) lack is empathy, they can not see things objectively as long as it is well around them.

I believe if the power situation improves in your neigbourhood for some weeks, you might come out and scream power supply has improved in NIGERIA, when actually the reverse might have been the case.
Re: Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? by emiye(m): 2:06am On Feb 01, 2012
Additionally, in a very recent study by CBN, 6% of Nigerians own 90% of the money in the banks.
Re: Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? by dasparrow: 3:25am On Feb 01, 2012
emiye:

Additionally, in a very recent study by CBN, 6% of Nigerians own 90% of the money in the banks.

Why am I not suprised? undecided
Re: Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? by Kobojunkie: 2:10pm On Feb 01, 2012
Seems plausible as many of those
Re: Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Feb 01, 2012
emiye:

Lies
Re: Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? by banku: 6:28pm On Feb 01, 2012
Instead of focusing on the topic, we have turned this into personality issues.

So what if anyone wants to flash what he has. Remember that the savior of the poor do not usually come amongst the poor. It is one of the rich or their children that risk everything and become a rebel in favor of the poor.

Our problem in Nigeria is that those that are really rich are even less than one ie 1%. Others are their cronies wanting to be like them or join the jones. The vast majority of our people are just dirt poor and some of them may not know it. I did not know I grew up in the getto until I came back to Nigeria. Nobody that made it live in Campos area Lagos anymore. I even thought we were rich.

And you know what? We were compared to Nigerians living in that area today. In my days, we had water, the gutter runs and we even race with paper boats, we had light unless ECN lost a football match, we ate well and our parents wear damask and all kinds of clothes. Now that is Brazilian quarters turned into abject getto. What do you expect in rural areas?

When I went to secondary school in the west, pipe born water finally came. You can not find that in many parts of Lagos today. It was Umaru Dikko who said that in America poor people pick food from dust bins and Nigerians don't. Fast forward, many poor Nigerians in all the cities live and make their living on environment harzard dump. We got mad because foreign press saw what is under our nose and we did not see or pretend as we are now, that it is not there.

Why are we denying the obvious?

Violent made good points but then go on and argue against himself.

Emiye, thanks.

Sisi-kill, if you can get William, I am Harry! Cool it my dear sister. King has a right to be mad. Why should we look good and others born like us make do on meagre earnings? Why not a living wage? We must develop conscience like Kingo,  in other words, it may be nice to live amongst decent people even if everyone is not.

emiye:

The problem with that your boldened statement is that you are looking at your immediate environment and doubting what several well reputed agencies have worked on. The 54% is more from the Nigerian govt.

Your problem of not believing the poverty rate is 70 percent is the same problem many of our elected leaders have, what they see in their immediate environment does not look grimming, so all should be relativelly well.

You need a bigger picture and not just a myopic way of looking at things in life to have a fairer understanding of the situation.

Your case is like that of an election observer who went to a polling unit in Nigeria, and observed that voters came out enmasse, were orderly, and voted freely and fairly, and came out to say Election in Nigeria was free and fair.

What many nigerians (both poor and rich) lack is empathy, they can not see things objectively as long as it is well around them.

I believe if the power situation improves in your neigbourhood for some weeks, you might come out and scream power supply has improved in NIGERIA, when actually the reverse might have been the case.

Re: Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? by emiye(m): 10:05pm On Feb 01, 2012
J12:

Lies
You mean i lied with the figure , i will search for that online and copy it here.
Re: Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? by emiye(m): 10:09pm On Feb 01, 2012
6% customers owned 88% of bank deposits in 2010 – NDIC
Category: Nigerian Economy

Read (761)
6% customers owned 88% of bank deposits in 2010 – NDIC

November 17, 2011

The imbalance in the Nigerian financial system has been brought to the fore with 2,512,531 depositors, or six per cent of those who placed their money in the Deposit Money Banks in 2010 having N9.53tn or 88 per cent of the total N10.84tn bank deposits during the year.

The remaining 41,926,817 or 94 per cent bank customers deposited a paltry N1.311tn or 12 per cent of the total deposits with the 24 DMBs within the period under review.

However, each of the high net worth depositors would have got only N500,000 from the Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation if their banks had collapsed during the period because that was the total amount for which the NDIC partially insured their deposits.

Those who deposited between N1 and N500,000 would, however, have received their full deposits if their banks had gone under.

What this means is that the heavy depositors would have lost N8.274tn if the banks had been liquidated during the year under review as their individual N500,000 entitlement would have added up to only N1.256tn.

However, they might have got varying amounts back as the law states that individuals who deposited beyond the stipulated insured sum should be paid dividends from the funds generated after the sales of the fixed and risk assets of the liquidated banks.

Information sourced from the NDIC indicated that the total number of depositors in the 24 banks grew by 11 per cent from 30,331,614 in 2008 to 44,439,348 in 2010, with 41,926,817 fully covered by the NDIC.

The N500,000 maximum deposit that an individual depositor is entitled to has, however, been a source of concern to bank customers, with many of them expressing apprehension as to what will be their fate should their banks go under.

Despite the disparity in the volume of funds deposited and the classes of depositors, the Head, Communication and Public Affairs, NDIC, Mr. Hadi Birchi, explained that the focus of the corporation in insuring funds in the banks was to protect a greater percentage of people who placed their money in the banks.

He noted that though the total insured amount of N1.311tn could not be compared to the N9.53tn that was partially insured, the NDIC was poised to protect the interest of the larger depositors in accordance with global standards.

“The focal point in deposit insurance is to protect many savers. The moneybags or those normally referred to as the big customers of banks, usually have the wherewithal to employ the services of financial advisers, who tell them, go to this bank, don’t go to the other; invest here, don’t invest there; or put your money in this bank, or don’t put it there,” Birchi said.

He explained that from the corporation’s findings, most bank customers deposited well below the N500,000 mark.

He said, “In fact, the first time we started, we were paying N50,000. And how do we arrive at N50,000? We arrived at this sum by doing a survey and we discovered that at the time we started in 1989, most of the depositors; more than 80 per cent of the depositors at that time, had from N1 to about N50,000, and that was how we came about the new figure.

“And for those with deposits that are more than the limit, what we do is that after selling the physical and risk assets, we pay them in form of dividends, just like the payment of dividends on shares. What this means is that those with large sums in failed banks stand the chance of getting more when the dividends are shared.”

http://www.proshareng.com/news/15519
Re: Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? by Nobody: 3:50am On Feb 02, 2012
banku:

So what if anyone wants to flash what he has. Remember that the savior of the poor do not usually come amongst the poor. It is one of the rich or their children that risk everything and become a rebel in favor of the poor.

Our problem in Nigeria is that those that are really rich are even less than one ie 1%. Others are their cronies wanting to be like them or join the jones. The vast majority of our people are just dirt poor and some of them may not know it. I did not know I grew up in the getto until I came back to Nigeria. Nobody that made it live in Campos area Lagos anymore. I even thought we were rich.

And you know what? We were compared to Nigerians living in that area today. In my days, we had water, the gutter runs and we even race with paper boats, we had light unless ECN lost a football match, we ate well and our parents wear damask and all kinds of clothes. Now that is Brazilian quarters turned into abject getto. What do you expect in rural areas?

When I went to secondary school in the west, pipe born water finally came. You can not find that in many parts of Lagos today. It was Umaru Dikko who said that in America poor people pick food from dust bins and Nigerians don't. Fast forward, many poor Nigerians in all the cities live and make their living on environment harzard dump. We got mad because foreign press saw what is under our nose and we did not see or pretend as we are now, that it is not there.

Emiye, thanks.

Sisi-kill, if you can get William, I am Harry! Cool it my dear sister. King has a right to be mad. Why should we look good and others born like us make do on meagre earnings? Why not a living wage? We must develop conscience like Kingo,  in other words, it may be nice to live amongst decent people even if everyone is not.

End of story!
Re: Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? by Kobojunkie: 3:14pm On Feb 13, 2012
Again it is brought up. More than 60% live on less than  $1 dollar a day. The National Bureau of Statistics in Nigeria has announced this as it's number. And when you consider those who live on less than $2 dollars a day, the percentage is above 80%. So, yes, the situation has not gotten better.
Re: Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? by SisiKill1: 2:03am On Feb 14, 2012
banku:

Emiye, thanks.

Errr.  . . 

In poor man.  . .woman's language please.   embarassed
Re: Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? by Orikinla(m): 12:44pm On May 09, 2012
The Youthspeak articles on Poverty in America vis-a- vis Nigeria by Ebenezer Leo the Great published on Monday May 7, 2012, and Life below a dollar by Olorunfemi Owoyemi published on Wednesday May 9, 2012 on the back covers of The Guardian newspaper of Nigeria almost moved me to tears, because of the gripping realities of the disparities of lives in Nigeria where the government and the elites of the ruling class live in denial of the tragedies of widespread poverty plaguing millions of Nigerians in dire straits.

As much as we know that maladministration is the cause of the collapse of democracy and governance in Nigeria and also caused the systemic collapse of manufacturing and human capital development, but ignorance has done more collateral damage to the poor masses than maladministration. The people are their own worst enemies since they have failed to help themselves by over relying on the government for their survival and welfare.

It is annoying to see students of tertiary institutions going on rampage on campus over lack of water supply and power outages by the school authorities when they can use their skills to dig boreholes to build wells and pump water into tanks to supply water for their various uses on campus. But they would prefer to spend hundreds of thousands of naira to buy expensive smart phones, laptops and clothes which they use as status symbols to impress their peers when they can form campus cooperatives and contribute money and skills to build wells for water supply and solar panels for solar power supply for their classrooms, laboratories and campuses. Students in the engineering department should be challenged to build these wells and solar panels and stop mere studying to just pass exams and writes theses to obtain their paper qualifications that in most cases have failed to equip them for the critical challenges and emergencies of contemporary life in a mismanaged economy of a dysfunctional civilian government.

The thousands of naira female students spend on buying expensive Brazilian hair and other imported hairweave attachments and wigs and BlackBerry smart phones will be enough to build wells and solar panels to supply water and power for their hostels, but they would rather waste their questionable monies on such perishable status symbols and continue to use their dilapidated and stinking toilets and bathrooms described by a visiting tourist as worse than the toilets of refugee camps in many war zones in Africa and a government minister said the toilets in female hostels on Nigerian campuses are worse than piggeries!

The poor people in both urban and rural areas have also failed to help themselves even though most of them are regular church goers and mosque goers pretending to be pious Christians and Muslims, but they don’t practice the tenets of their respective Christianity and Islam outside the walls of their churches and mosques, because they are hypocrites or wolves in sheep clothing. If they are ready to obey their teachings of the founders of their respective religions, they will fare better in addressing and solving the social and economic problems causing their poverty and insecurity.

They would fare well if they could put heads together and join hands to form neighbourhood cooperatives in their various towns and villages to help themselves as many such cooperatives in other developing countries have been successful in building wells, solar panels and profitable startups of cottage industries to turn their subsistence farming and trading into lucrative enterprises to become self-employed and even create many jobs for the jobless members of their communities and contributed funds for both academic and professional sponsorships and scholarships to assist needy members among them.

The poor and other concerned citizens should stop their lamentations of the woes of the dog eat dog situation in Nigeria and join hands to address and solve the various social, ethno-religious and political problems plaguing their lives, because as we can see that the dysfunctional government has failed woefully.
Re: Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? by jeddyMay(f): 10:27pm On May 09, 2012
Kobojunkie:

You left out the fact that many of those on Naira 18,000 per month have about 2-3 other mouths they feed. This is the case with many married couples in Nigeria. Many of them with at least 2.5(this is being seriously conservative)kids.
If we were to assume that the two parents worked and earned Naira 18,000, it still comes down to about $1- $2 dollar a day for each mouth in the family, which is still within the margin of SERIOUSLY POOR.
@times, jst one of d parents works for salary. Dat means d whole family r depending on d 18k while som married men earn less dan 10k as monthly salary n dey r married wt kids.
Re: Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jun 12, 2013
Okay meaning nigérians lives better than what the western worlds re repoting . Nigeria came second in poping champagnes after france.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Airforce Invents Bomb Detecting Robot To Fight Boko Haram / Who Is Your Local Government Chairman And What Project Have He/she Executed? / Boko Haram Victim, Ali Ahmadu Returns From UAE After Surgery (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.