Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,078 members, 7,818,231 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:48 AM

Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? (8470 Views)

Obama To Reveal Isis Strategy – But Pledges 'no Iraq War' - The guardian / Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch / Voting Machines Altering Votes From Obama To Romney In Pennsylvania (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by Bastage: 12:18pm On Sep 05, 2008
Name one particular bad policy and maybe we look at both sides of it to determine how "BAD" it is.

How about foriegn policy for a start?

The US had huge goodwill after 911 and has managed to totally squander it and has become by far the most hated nation on Earth. However right or wrong you may think that international view is, it unfortunately remains a fact.
In this modern era of globalisation, terrorism and easily accessible information that must change. Actions and reputations abroad affect both domestic and international economies. The US is fast running out of allies due to it's actions and policies abroad - ie: heavy fisted "diplomacy" and military action. I see even the UK moving away from the US and further into the arms of Europe and therefore the US risks isolation over any of it's foriegn policies.

Tell me how McCain isn't going to offer more of the same old same old.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by Kobojunkie: 12:20pm On Sep 05, 2008
Bastage:

How about foriegn policy for a start?

The US had huge goodwill after 911 and has managed to totally squander it and has become by far the most hated nation on Earth. However right or wrong you may think that international view is, it unfortunately remains a fact.
In this modern era of globalisation, terrorism and easily accessible information that must change. Actions and reputations abroad affect both domestic and international economies. The US is fast running out of allies due to it's actions and policies abroad - ie: heavy fisted "diplomacy" and military action. I see even the UK moving away from the US and further into the arms of Europe and therefore the US risks isolation over any of it's foriegn policies.

Tell me how McCain isn't going to offer more of the same old same old.

Lol,  I knew you were going to go for the famous "FOREIGN POLICY"!!! Anywho, be more specific please. What Foreign policy, to be exact?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by Bastage: 12:39pm On Sep 05, 2008
As I've already stated, foreign policy is a major issue that affects the whole world so I don't see it as being a trivial issue.

OK.
Start with Middle Eastern policy.

You can go for the Palestinian problem if you prefer or take up Iraq or Afghanistan.

Or maybe go for all three.

I'll give you the international viewpoint on them. Not necessarily what I believe, but the view most of non-Americans.

Palestine: Unbridled US support for Israel is biased and causes much more harm than good.

Iraq. It never should have been invaded in the first place and once it was it descended into chaos.

Afghanistan. Again, never should have been invaded, but also has descended into chaos and looks like it's going to get even worse.

As stated, not necessarily my views but they are some of the major views of non-US citizens.

Once you've answered those, you can move onto relationships with Iran, relationships with other Middle East countries and the "War on Terror".
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by Kobojunkie: 12:42pm On Sep 05, 2008
Please don't try to play around this one. I asked you for facts, not opinions. What exactly do you know that is wrong with our Foreign policy?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by cold(m): 12:46pm On Sep 05, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Lol, I knew you were going to go for the famous, FOREIGN POLICY!!! Anywho, be more specific please. What Foreign policy, to be exact?

Let me taq it 4rm here.In 2002 America was just smartin 4rm the attack on the wtc and Bush was realy "rarin to go".He had already chased the Taliban & Al Qaeda out of Afghanistan but that wasn't enuf so he & his cohorts concocted a lie about WMD in Iraq & sold it to the American populace.They sold the same story to the Security Council of the UN but nobody was buyin.While the IAEA was sitll carryin out their investigations the war monger cldn't wait & inspite of repeated warnings 4rm nations in the UN to allow the IAEA wrap up their investigations Bush chose to go it alone with their lap-dog Britain.today we know beta .This unjust war amongst may other actions(which i will refer to after the rejoinder because i can see it coming)hav further estranged the USA from the rest of the world and has emboldened other nations to acquire nuclear arms to defend themselves against any untoward American agression rather than intimidate them.This is what Obama intends to change & put America bak on the path of glory & align it wit it's estranged allies.Because no matter how strong a nation is, it can't isolate itself/herself from other nations in the global constellation.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by Bastage: 12:47pm On Sep 05, 2008
I would say you're the one skirting around the facts.

OK. Stated fact.

Iraq is in a mess.
Afghanistan is in a mess.
Israel is in a mess.

All deeply involved with US foreign policy.

Do you need it any more clearer or are you just going to state that this is an opinion?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by Bbng(f): 12:54pm On Sep 05, 2008
Truth be told - I DO NOT CARE!!!

Oh please! Don't give me that "it will affect you o" speech.

Whatever policies Obama or McCain or whoever makes in the US is for the good of the US and not to better Nigeria or any other country for that matter.

Apart from some African leaders who will favour other countries over theirs because they are either not thinking right, are misguided or just want to fill their own bellies, no sane leader will put any policy in place that will benefit other countries while his/her country suffers!

The ONLY reason I am supporting Obama, which is the reason a lot of Africans are supporting him is because he is BLACK!!!

If you disagree, truthfully search your mind except of course, you are not one of the "a lot of Africans" I'm referring to.

Anyway, wishing Obama all the best.

My life is hid in CHRIST JESUS and I am under HIS policies!!!

Next topic please!!!
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by Bastage: 12:59pm On Sep 05, 2008
Bbng.

First and foremost this is a discussion forum and this topic is regarding the US elections. What are you doing here if you don't care?

Secondly, it's true US policy is primarily aimed towards it's own interests but it also benefits or hurts the international community.

Without US involvement, the world would probably be under the Nazi or Soviet jack-boot just as, at times, without it, it could possibly be a more peaceful place.

US policy affects everyone.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by eminemkayc: 1:35pm On Sep 05, 2008
ITS EITHER MC CAIN OR NO ONE ELSE!! tongue tongue tongue tongue IF HE DOESN'T OCCUPY THAT POSITION, IT MIGHT AFFECT ME PSYCHOLOGICALLY angry angry angry COS AM A COMPLETE REPUBLICAN CHAUVINIST!! sad sad sad
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by MrCrackles(m): 1:41pm On Sep 05, 2008
eminemkayc:

ITS EITHER MC CAIN OR NO ONE ELSE!! tongue tongue tongue tongue IF HE DOESN'T OCCUPY THAT POSITION, IT MIGHT AFFECT ME PSYCHOLOGICALLY angry angry angry COS AM A COMPLETE REPUBLICAN CHAUVINIST!! sad sad sad

Ok we have heard!
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by 1luvkipsus: 2:02pm On Sep 05, 2008
Inferiority complex and racism.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by carmelily: 2:04pm On Sep 05, 2008
He is the split image of what their president isnot lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by Bbng(f): 2:24pm On Sep 05, 2008
Bastage

That's your personal opinion and I can live with that!

But, I repeat (and for even more emphasis), I repeat this again "I don't care!"

I support Obama but I will certainly not lose any sleep if he doesn't win!!!
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by cold(m): 2:37pm On Sep 05, 2008
I wonda y anybody wld want Mccain to b president wen it's obvious he won't live to see 76.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by carmelily: 2:50pm On Sep 05, 2008
eminemkayc:

Him promise you green card if e win?

cold:

I wonda y anybody would want Mccain to b president when it's obvious he won't live to see 76.

flesh and blood has not revealed that to you. My thoughts exactly.

Bbng:

I support Obama but I will certainly not lose any sleep if he doesn't win!!!

That's the spirit. And he's winning, anyway. Unless the Florida votes are recounted this time around again
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by gentysho(m): 3:14pm On Sep 05, 2008
well i guess this is simply because the guy is black, so the answer is as simple as that
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by Kobojunkie: 3:15pm On Sep 05, 2008
Bastage:

I would say you're the one skirting around the facts.

OK. Stated fact.

Iraq is in a mess.
Afghanistan is in a mess.
Israel is in a mess.

All deeply involved with US foreign policy.

Do you need it any more clearer or are you just going to state that this is an opinion?

What particular policy do you seriously think you state above? I was hoping you were actually going to offer up facts and not the same old wiggle reason for claims. I asked you to specifically state the policies you refer to and you come back with your list above? What does that mean when we talk of policies? You mean policies are meant to produce perfect results or something? I still ask you, what particular policy is it that you have a problem with?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by FifiO(f): 4:24pm On Sep 05, 2008
well i guess this is simply because the guy is black, so the answer is as simple as that
, or perhaps because he is cute? wink
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by Kobojunkie: 4:30pm On Sep 05, 2008
d_chosen1:

who says he is cute?

beauty is surely in the eye of the holder. One man's prince is another man's monkey !!! ROFLMAO!!!
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by Bastage: 6:42pm On Sep 05, 2008
What particular policy do you seriously think you state above?

OK. Now you're just acting dumb. You're well aware that I'm referring to US foreign policy in those areas. Do you expect me to dissect every single policy regarding each particular issue? Are you incapable of giving a general overview? If you aren't then you clearly haven't listened to a word of any of McCain's speeches. Either that or he hasn't spoken of policy, in which case you're prepared to vote for someone who has made even fewer policy statements than Obama!! But then that would smack of ignorance wouldn't it?

Want me to narrow it down even more so you can skirt around the issue yet again?

Here goes:

Republican US policy in Afghanistan was to remove the Taleban, Since then, there has been no clarified exit strategy, hardly any reconstruction and the installed government has shown itself to pander to warlords and corruption. The strategies used by US forces are fuelling extremism to the nth degree.

Just so you can't wriggle out with yet more inane small talk, I'll clarify again:

Dealing with and supporting a corrupt government.
Fighting a losing battle against an enemy that is gaining ground and influence.

What would McCain bring to the table that is any different? Or would it be more of the same?

Now. Do you understand that? Stop playing petty semantics and answer the question. Otherwise don't bother challenging me on an issue you seem either unwilling or unable to reply to.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by Kobojunkie: 6:51pm On Sep 05, 2008
Bastage:

OK. Now you're just acting dumb. You're well aware that I'm referring to US foreign policy in those areas. Do you expect me to dissect every single policy regarding each particular issue? Are you incapable of giving a general overview? If you aren't then you clearly haven't listened to a word of any of McCain's speeches. Either that or he hasn't spoken of policy, in which case you're prepared to vote for someone who has made even fewer policy statements than Obama!! But then that would smack of ignorance wouldn't it?

Want me to narrow it down even more so you can skirt around the issue yet again?

Here goes:

Republican US policy in Afghanistan was to remove the Taleban, Since then, there has been no clarified exit strategy, hardly any reconstruction and the installed government has shown itself to pander to warlords and corruption. The strategies used by US forces are fuelling extremism to the nth degree.

Just so you can't wriggle out with yet more inane small talk, I'll clarify again:

Dealing with and supporting a corrupt government.
Fighting a losing battle against an enemy that is gaining ground and influence.

What would McCain bring to the table that is any different? Or would it be more of the same?

Now. Do you understand that? Stop playing petty semantics and answer the question. Otherwise don't bother challenging me on an issue you seem either unwilling or unable to reply to.

What particular policy are you refering to here

policy¹

Definition
pol•icy (päl′ə sē)
noun pl. -•cies
a. OBSOLETE government or polity
b. NOW RARE political wisdom or cunning
2. wise, expedient, or prudent conduct or management
3. a principle, plan, or course of action, as pursued by a government, organization, individual, etc. foreign policy

[quote][/quote]
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by Bastage: 7:15pm On Sep 05, 2008
Pathetic. Still you balk, yet I've made it absolutely clear which policies I'm referring to. You've even managed to find a definition that clarifies it for you yet still you can't answer.

. a principle, plan, or course of action, as pursued by a government, organization, individual, etc. foreign policy

I can only assume that you don't have any answers.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by Kobojunkie: 7:20pm On Sep 05, 2008
Bastage:

Pathetic. Still you balk, yet I've made it absolutely clear which policies I'm referring to. You've even managed to find a definition that clarifies it for you yet still you can't answer.

I can only assume that you don't have any answers.
OK. Maybe you are right. I will wait for someone else who can answer my question then. Thanks for your time. grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by Ohenry(m): 9:18pm On Sep 05, 2008
I think he will work to bring peace to a world that has been so divided since 2001 if he wins. But no one can really predict what will happen because American politics is not like Nigeria where results are written by INEC before elections even take place.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by Kobojunkie: 9:36pm On Sep 05, 2008
Ohenry:

I think he will work to bring peace to a world that has been so divided since 2001 if he wins. But no one can really predict what will happen because American politics is not like Nigeria where results are written by INEC before elections even take place.

How can anyone bring peace to a world that was not even at peace pre 2001? By Making sure Americans smile at the rest of the world so they suddenly
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by tbanj07(m): 1:01pm On Sep 06, 2008
@ SeanT21, Who are you to say Nigerians are mostly a racist group of people IF you dont have anything to contribute to the convo. just have your lips sealed, End Of Story!
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by vescucci(m): 1:46pm On Sep 06, 2008
@topic. Maybe it has something to do the fact that he's of African descent.? Or he's a democrat. The whole world suffers (or enjoysdepending, ) from U.S. policy. So maybe we have the good sense to wanna breath of fresh air. Or maybe it's that quasi-Bush Mccain's face that's just so darn disgusting. It reeks of a dishonest politician. He can't even look the camera in the eye, let alone real eyes. All this is just a guess
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by SeanT21(f): 2:34pm On Sep 06, 2008
tbanj07:

@ SeanT21, Who are you to say Nigerians are mostly a racist group of people IF you don't have anything to contribute to the convo. just have your lips sealed, End Of Story!

If You can read I said "SOME".
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by merge(f): 3:04pm On Sep 06, 2008
I don't care if he wins or not.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by merge(f): 3:13pm On Sep 06, 2008
He is not black.

Actually, I prefer if he loses

He is claiming black to get black votes and to make history.

He is the first black and white president.

Only a 100% Black men can say he is BLACK.

My opinion.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by kehinde26: 7:08pm On Sep 06, 2008
He is not black.

My opinion.

Merge, how can you say the man is not black?!
Please change your screen as its apparent that even Kanayo O. Kanayo looks white on it!!! lol

But serious Merge, even a 25% black and 75% white would still be termed 'black' or 'coloured' and far as the oyinbo is concerned, coloured ain't white!
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Want Obama To Win? by SeanT21(f): 8:16pm On Sep 06, 2008
merge:

He is not black.

My opinion.

That has gotta be one of the most ridiculous shit I have ever read. If Obama was born during slavery, He was going to be lynch as any other black men. Black mix with anything is BLACK. He doesn't need to claim that he is black because he IS.

STOP BEING RIDICULOUS!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Robert Mugabe Is Dead? / See The Last Picture Of Adolf Hitler Before His Death. / Bill Clinton's Speech At The 2012 DNC & The Nigerian Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.