Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,353 members, 7,839,633 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 04:30 AM

Marriage: Relationship Or Contract? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Marriage: Relationship Or Contract? (1005 Views)

What's The Factor That's Kept Your Relationship Or Marriage Till Today. / Will You Marry A Lady That Sleep With A Man To Get You A Job Or Contract? / Will U Marry A Girl That Sleep With Other Man To Get U Job Or Contract (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marriage: Relationship Or Contract? by HRhotness(f): 8:08pm On Sep 14, 2008
I was in church today (yes i do go to church!  smiley) and being the second sunday of the month, we had a bible study and discussion session. The topic today was Marriage and divorce. Being a sensitive one, service was an extra hr longer because everyone had something to say.

One thing that stood out for me tho was that at the end of the study session. our Vicar advised that marriage is a relationship, not a contract and should be approached as such.

Although i fully understand his point of view personally i don't see approaching marriage as a contract as such a bad thing. if everyone knws their place and all expectations are defined and outline, things would be easier and fu*k-ups can be handled properly. In my opinion d problem today with many marriages is that different people have different expectations and without being properly defined, it is inevitable that there would be disappointments which inturn leads to all other unpleasantries in marriages. . .

whats your take?
Re: Marriage: Relationship Or Contract? by milknhoney(f): 8:13pm On Sep 14, 2008
In a sense, everything in life is a contract. Certain expectations, certain guidelines. Both parties "sign" their promise to eachother.
Re: Marriage: Relationship Or Contract? by tope2000(f): 8:15pm On Sep 14, 2008
I agree but i still believe a marriage should be seen as a relationship rather than a contract, so when the contract ends what happens - divorce undecided
Re: Marriage: Relationship Or Contract? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Sep 14, 2008
Na both.

Nor be papers them dey sign for church during the wedding?
Re: Marriage: Relationship Or Contract? by HRhotness(f): 8:20pm On Sep 14, 2008
but relationships end too. . .

You wont go into a long term contract with someone u dont trust wld u? thats what i mean basically. ,  both parties sit down and decide what it is they want out of the union, negotiate differences, come to an agreement and have regular reviews of their marriage.
Re: Marriage: Relationship Or Contract? by tope2000(f): 8:22pm On Sep 14, 2008
well it think its both then undecided
marriage is relationship based on contract
Re: Marriage: Relationship Or Contract? by HRhotness(f): 8:24pm On Sep 14, 2008
Or a contract based on a relationship. . . wink
Re: Marriage: Relationship Or Contract? by 8ball(m): 8:46pm On Sep 14, 2008

@ poster

Don't muddle up vis issue.

Marriage is essentially a relationship wiv a solid foundation on friendship.

Viewing it From a contractual perspective is utterly denigrating to the feeling shared by couples.

Even business transactions these days av gone beyond profiteering

i trust u katch ma drift now
Re: Marriage: Relationship Or Contract? by onyinye2(f): 9:08pm On Sep 14, 2008
Marriage is what you make it.
If you make it like a contract i. e. signing a pre-nupt, well that's the way you like your tea.
But if you make marriage into something more than guidelines and expectation, well all the power to ya.
Re: Marriage: Relationship Or Contract? by chika98: 9:13pm On Sep 14, 2008
Yup! Marriage is what you make of it. Whatever works for you.
Re: Marriage: Relationship Or Contract? by tpia: 3:37am On Sep 23, 2008
Re: Marriage: Relationship Or Contract? by dyabman(m): 3:44am On Sep 23, 2008
saying contract ur just tryin to worsen it , i dont think its contract just RELATIONSHIP
Re: Marriage: Relationship Or Contract? by tpia: 3:15pm On Sep 23, 2008
Re: Marriage: Relationship Or Contract? by BabaSala1(m): 3:45pm On Sep 23, 2008
Na both contract and relationship. If you manage as a contract alone, you can lose for those of you that are bad business people, and if you treat as relationship alone, some will lose for those who are poor managers of relationship. So my advice, handle as both contract and relationship, You can never lose the 2!
Re: Marriage: Relationship Or Contract? by Gamine(f): 3:58pm On Sep 23, 2008
It is indeed Both.

A Contract is needed to show that Marriage is a Serious Business.

You sign Contracts for your car, house, why wont you sign one for Marriage.
Re: Marriage: Relationship Or Contract? by kemisuga(f): 4:38pm On Sep 23, 2008
Marriage is defined according to oxford dictionary as "a legal relationship between a husband and wife".

Legal is connected with the Law - In other words: This can be term an agreement, a union, a promise or[b] a contract[/b] made with somebody.

Marriage is not complete with just having relationship, it goes with the agreement.

MARRIAGE IS THEREFORE A CONTRACT RELATIONSHIP.
Re: Marriage: Relationship Or Contract? by HRhotness(f): 11:27am On Oct 02, 2008
kemisuga:

Marriage is defined according to oxford dictionary as "a legal relationship between a husband and wife".

Legal is connected with the Law - In other words: This can be term an agreement, a union, a promise or[b] a contract[/b] made with somebody.

Marriage is not complete with just having relationship, it goes with the agreement.

MARRIAGE IS THEREFORE A CONTRACT RELATIONSHIP.

For this reason,

why then cant there be a negotiation of terms and conditions, like every other contract?
I think this wld make everyones expectations clear and allow for everyone to take proper responsibility for their actions

(1) (Reply)

Strenght Of A Woman Or Juju? / Is Cheating The Worst Relationship Vice? / Why Are Guys Like This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.