Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,764 members, 7,809,931 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:28 PM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (911063 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (508) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:59am On Aug 15, 2014
Testing the image links instead of the attach button.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by blazetitov: 8:19am On Aug 15, 2014
GAZZUZZ: Testing the image links instead of the attach button.
Boss, I need your advice before i will take my car to my mechanic. The car is a Camry 2000 V6 model.I noticed its making a high sound as if its been raised gradually when i put the gear into drive with no movement and actually when am accelerating but once i put it park into park, the engine becomes quite and you can hardly hear any sound even though the engine is on.
I opened the bonnet and i noticed the noise was coming from the side of the engine where the belts are and one hears the funny sound more when seating on the passenger side beside the driver. i told my mechanic on phone and he said its possibly one of the belts or the power steering pump that is making the noise that i should bring the vehicle. please assist.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:58am On Aug 15, 2014
blazetitov:
Boss, I need your advice before i will take my car to my mechanic. The car is a Camry 2000 V6 model.I noticed its making a high sound as if its been raised gradually when i put the gear into drive with no movement and actually when am accelerating but once i put it park into park, the engine becomes quite and you can hardly hear any sound even though the engine is on.
I opened the bonnet and i noticed the noise was coming from the side of the engine where the belts are and one hears the funny sound more when seating on the passenger side beside the driver. i told my mechanic on phone and he said its possibly one of the belts or the power steering pump that is making the noise that i should bring the vehicle. please assist.

Noises are not that easy to solve unless I can hear it, record the sound with your phone, add me up on bbm and send to me. Meanwhile you said you only hear the sound when putting the car in gear and when accelerating sounds like a transmission related sound.

Try this when driving slip the car into neutral and see if the noise persists.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Beautiful4u(m): 7:34pm On Aug 19, 2014
Hi Mr. GazZ, I changed the four spark plugs in my toyota camry 1998 since then the engine only comes on when I start the car six to seven times especially in d morning. My mechanic said is not d fuel pump. Pls I need your help. Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:01pm On Aug 19, 2014
Beautiful4u: Hi Mr. GazZ, I changed the four spark plugs in my toyota camry 1998 since then the engine only comes on when I start the car six to seven times especially in d morning. My mechanic said is not d fuel pump. Pls I need your help. Thanks

Sounds like a fuel pressure problem. Pump could be good but you might have a bad fuel regulator or a leaking case, but ideally with the right equipment you can rule out fuel pressure within minutes. (Fuel pressure tester)

Also check your coolant temp sensor
[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGQJ4sbL0KSeIEhQuxVmK4COhaB-oUgqwb1mRxdvLoLdlg8k53RlRYpO5k[/img]
The one with the green socket, if its not properly connected or if the cables are broken or joined together you will have same kind of problem you mentioned.

Ideally if you have a "check" light illuminated on your dash take your vehicle for a scan.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Beautiful4u(m): 2:31pm On Aug 21, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Sounds like a fuel pressure problem. Pump could be good but you might have a bad fuel regulator or a leaking case, but ideally with the right equipment you can rule out fuel pressure within minutes. (Fuel pressure tester)

[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGQJ4sbL0KSeIEhQuxVmK4COhaB-oUgqwb1mRxdvLoLdlg8k53RlRYpO5k[/img]
The one with the green socket, if its not properly connected or if the cables are broken or joined together you will have same kind of problem you mentioned.

Ideally if you have a "check" light illuminated on your dash take your vehicle for a scan.
there is no check engine light on the dash board and my mechanic as traced all the wires but the problem continues. hw do get the fuel pressure tester. thanks sir
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:34pm On Aug 21, 2014
Beautiful4u: there is no check engine light on the dash board and my mechanic as traced all the wires but the problem continues. hw do get the fuel pressure tester. thanks sir

You want to buy one?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by One4me: 2:54pm On Aug 22, 2014
\\\\\\
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:49pm On Aug 22, 2014
One4me: Hello Gazzuzz,

This is urgent please!

I have a Nissan Almeria 1999. Its served me well all this while and l take good care of it too.

Recently, the battery went down and my wife moved another battery to it but since then, the car could not start. IT WILL BE DOING THE NORMAL SOUND AS IF IT WANT TO START BUT WILL NOT PICK UP AND FIRE. ITS NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE.
Mechanic said to buy another and change the coil which we did. Still would not start

Again, mechanic said we should buy new plug, we did but still will not start
They checked fuel supply (by using fuel from a Jerrycan directly into still) , still would not start.
We keep changing one thing or the other, in a trial-and-error style, its costing me money but still vehicle is not PICKING UP

No, someone said it is the SECURITY (the one that came with it originally from Nisaan; we did NOT put any additional security of our own).
They suggested we have to "RESET' it by kind of 'flashing" with your kind of tool (get error codes and reset it).

My question is:
1) Is the above diagnosis TRUE?
2) Can you do these for me?

Car is in Ebutte Metta area of Lagos Mainland.
Cheers.

We spoke on the phone, I hope the terminals of your battery were not mistakenly reversed while changing the battery? If that happenen you might have fried your ecm(brain box).
Another posibility is vehicle is presently immobilized, for that you will require a diagnostic tool to sort it out.

Let me know how it works out.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:52am On Aug 23, 2014
Beautiful4u: there is no check engine light on the dash board and my mechanic as traced all the wires but the problem continues. hw do get the fuel pressure tester. thanks sir

Please run a scan,
fuel pressure tester call this number :08023190606 lukman garutech he sells the tester.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by aeu1: 10:55pm On Aug 27, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

I have 3 solutions for u.

1. Check all boot seals (rubber that runs round) ensure its fittet well along the frame.
2.Get in the boot with a flash light and have some one hose the car down with water with ur flash light look for leaks

3.Check taillight seals or the trunk weatherstrip. Water might be flowing down the sheet metal.
Also check the seal on your antenna

The water doesn't have to drip into the boot and soak through. It can often run along the metal and run underneath the soundproofing and the carpet

Best of luck.
Buzz, thanks for your answer. actually the water drips in through taillight seal. that has been fixed today. God bless
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by dinyelutochukwu: 10:10pm On Aug 31, 2014
Hi Gazzuzz,
Please I need your advice,
My 2007 Toyota camry has a faulty shock absorber
located at the back wheel of the drivers side. I spoke
with a Mechanic who told me to change the two back
shocks...
I'm curious to know (why) If I have to change the two
back shocks instead of one. since the other 3 are
working perfectly.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:17pm On Aug 31, 2014
dinyelutochukwu: Hi Gazzuzz,
Please I need your advice,
My 2007 Toyota camry has a faulty shock absorber
located at the back wheel of the drivers side. I spoke
with a Mechanic who told me to change the two back
shocks...
I'm curious to know (why) If I have to change the two
back shocks instead of one. since the other 3 are
working perfectly.

Are you buying a brand new or Tokumbor?

Shocks and wheel bearings tend to wear out around the same time, so its best to replace in pairs.

You also get a better deal when it comes to price when you buy 2 instead of 1.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by tobiak(m): 10:54pm On Aug 31, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Are you buying a brand new or Tokumbor?

Shocks and wheel bearings tend to wear out around the same time, so its best to replace in pairs.

You also get a better deal when it comes to price when you buy 2 instead of 1.

Shocks absorbers are replaced as a set. You can't buy just one, you buy it as a set. For one to have gone bad, definately the other side would ve been going weak too. It's also a standard procedure to replace the stabilizer linkages which usually go bad with the shock absorbers.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Nobody: 11:03pm On Aug 31, 2014
tobiak:

Shocks absorbers are replaced as a set. You can't buy just one, you buy it as a set. For one to have gone bad, definately the other side would ve been going weak too. It's also a standard procedure to replace the stabilizer linkages which usually go bad with the shock absorbers.
I'm surprised OP didn't mention his car's trim level (SE i4, SE V6 or non SE trim). If its an SE trim, the struts are stiffer than the spring rates of non SE models. Putting SE trim struts in none SE will alter the handling and putting non SE struts in an SE camry will alter the handling. Using a strut meant for i4 in a V6 will cause sagging and using a V6 strut in an i4 will cause harsh ride and nose rising/rear end rise up which will result in uneven level and altered ride quality.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by dinyelutochukwu: 11:36pm On Aug 31, 2014
Gazzuzz, Tobiak and lomomike, thanks for the timely response.

I bought the car Tokunbor, and I've used it for 11 months now. It's a camry LE four plug engine.

And I hope to go for Tokunbor parts.

I'll take all you have said into consideration...

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Beautiful4u(m): 1:17pm On Sep 05, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Please run a scan,
fuel pressure tester call this number :08023190606 lukman garutech he sells the tester.
A SCAN SHOWS THAT THE TEMPERATURE SENSOR WAS FAULTY, IT HAS BEEN FIXED. THANKS MAN
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:02pm On Sep 05, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Beautiful4u:
A SCAN SHOWS THAT THE TEMPERATURE SENSOR WAS FAULTY, IT HAS BEEN FIXED. THANKS MAN

Happy to hear.

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by mokikeoj: 10:17am On Sep 23, 2014
Hello Gazzuzz

I ran a diagnostic check on my 2007 Honda accord after it started showing the check engine light and I was told the catalyst is bad. My questions are:

1) Apart from the emission of poisonous gases, is there any consequence if I don't fix it immediately?

2) Could the faulty catalyst be a symptom of something else?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:11am On Sep 23, 2014
mokikeoj: Hello Gazzuzz

I ran a diagnostic check on my 2007 Honda accord after it started showing the check engine light and I was told the catalyst is bad. My questions are:

1) Apart from the emission of poisonous gases, is there any consequence if I don't fix it immediately?

2) Could the faulty catalyst be a symptom of something else?

Short term Consequences will be o2 and af sensors reporting wrong signals to the ecu, long term will be misfires on several cylinders caused by the wrong signal sent to the ecm by the o2 and af sensors. If you cannot aford to replace the catalyst, just instal a spacer. Spacers cost like 200 naira a piece.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by mokikeoj: 11:53am On Sep 23, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Short term Consequences will be o2 and af sensors reporting wrong signals to the ecu, long term will be misfires on several cylinders caused by the wrong signal sent to the ecm by the o2 and af sensors. If you cannot aford to replace the catalyst, just instal a spacer. Spacers cost like 200 naira a piece.

Thanks a bunch Gazzuzz, pls answer the second question.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:04pm On Sep 23, 2014
mokikeoj:

Thanks a bunch Gazzuzz, pls answer the second question.

A leaking exhaust or bad fuel could pop a catalytic error code..
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Nobody: 4:27pm On Sep 23, 2014
Please how much does it cost to change the cam belt of a Volkswagen Bora? My mechanic said it cost 25k but I get d feeling he wants to pull a fast one on me
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:39pm On Sep 23, 2014
damilola5019: Please how much does it cost to change the cam belt of a Volkswagen Bora? My mechanic said it cost 25k but I get d feeling he wants to pull a fast one on me
original belts cost between 8-12k I guess the balance is labour cost. Ensure you buy original.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by tman14(m): 5:34pm On Sep 23, 2014
Gazzuzz, I just bought a Camry 1999. Was told that the shock absorbers are bad and also discovered the vehicle is low. On enquiries a mechanic suggested that I buy the shock absorber of a Camry 2004 (big daddy). He claims this will solve my problems. Pls wat are the likely adverse effects of this. Will you advise I do it?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:43pm On Sep 23, 2014
tman14: Gazzuzz, I just bought a Camry 1999. Was told that the shock absorbers are bad and also discovered the vehicle is low. On enquiries a mechanic suggested that I buy the shock absorber of a Camry 2004 (big daddy). He claims this will solve my problems. Pls wat are the likely adverse effects of this. Will you advise I do it?

Iv never tried it. There are spacers that can be used to improve ground clearance, you can also use stiffer springs.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by tman14(m): 5:50pm On Sep 23, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Iv never tried it. There are spacers that can be used to improve ground clearance, you can also use stiffer springs.

Thanks for d options.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Ekavint: 9:21pm On Sep 24, 2014
PLEASE HELP ME OUT: My Audi 80 Tiger Face car is not giving current to the distributor but has current in the starting coil and also in the electric carburetor. As such, the engine refuse to start. This problem started after my mechanic change my clutch disc. The vehicle is manual and has no sensor. What could be responsible and what do I do to restore back current into the engine system.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:13pm On Sep 24, 2014
Ekavint: PLEASE HELP ME OUT: My Audi 80 Tiger Face car is not giving current to the distributor but has current in the starting coil and also in the electric carburetor. As such, the engine refuse to start. This problem started after my mechanic change my clutch disc. The vehicle is manual and has no sensor. What could be responsible and what do I do to restore back current into the engine system.

Please give specific details of your vehicle. Engine type and year.( Tiger face ) I have no idea what that is. If your car uses a crank sensor have it checked, also check the igniter most electricians call it a "neck"
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Macmilla(m): 6:21am On Oct 01, 2014
Please my people, I got a 2001 Honda accord and I have been trying to get the best transmission fluid for it. I know ATF DW1 is the recommended one but I can't find it around and I also know it's pretty expensive. Someone recommended Pureguard global synthetic, the one in the picture.
Please is this fluid good for my car? Please I need a reply.
Thanks

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:04pm On Oct 01, 2014
Macmilla: Please my people, I got a 2001 Honda accord and I have been trying to get the best transmission fluid for it. I know ATF DW1 is the recommended one but I can't find it around and I also know it's pretty expensive. Someone recommended Pureguard global synthetic, the one in the picture.
Please is this fluid good for my car? Please I need a reply.
Thanks

Post in his section https://www.nairaland.com/newpost?topic=996664

This user has it for sale:https://www.nairaland.com/luvinhubby

Contact him.

Stick to the recommended oils only.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (508) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.