Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,957 members, 7,952,852 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 05:47 AM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (969775 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (519) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Ayo8(m): 10:51am On Dec 30, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Signs of a burnt head gasket.

Check radiator cam for oily mix like sludge.

Present!!! Will give you a call...
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:04pm On Dec 30, 2015
ukata16:
@Gazzuzz please also I noticed little engine oil drops from this part of the car (mechanic called it 'distributor')
My mechanic has twice worked on it with car glue yet I noticed it again this morning.

Replace the entire distributor.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:09pm On Dec 30, 2015
ukata16:
@Gazzuzz good morning.
Please I noticed the coolant on my car reservoir is bellow MIN. I did the few mins running of engine you suggested sometime ago yet it's still under the MIN.
Can I top the coolant with another one or will I have to do drain of the old one?
It's the coolant that came with the car.
It's a Honda Accord 1998 i4

Top with water for now.
On the long run, you should try to find the leak. Coolant shouldn't go low.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by ukata16(m): 9:37pm On Dec 30, 2015
Thanks boss
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by adanny01(m): 11:47pm On Dec 30, 2015
ukata16:
@Gazzuzz please also I noticed little engine oil drops from this part of the car (mechanic called it 'distributor')
My mechanic has twice worked on it with car glue yet I noticed it again this morning.

There is an oil seal inside the distributor. Have it replaced.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by tolaolu: 10:41am On Jan 01, 2016
Good day boss

Please the coolant tempeture indicator on the dashboard is not working. What can be the likely cause

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Temas: 4:18pm On Jan 01, 2016
Oga gazzuzz.... compliment of the season....I drive a nissan primera 2000 p11-144.. 1.8 engine
I noticed that the engine short oil between service interval.... am using a mobile 1 5W30 full syn oil grade... no smoke... no visible leak ... oil is changed at every 3000km... far less than what is obtainable I guess.. odo is 138000 plus...
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by adanny01(m): 5:10am On Jan 02, 2016
tolaolu:
Good day boss

Please the coolant tempeture indicator on the dashboard is not working. What can be the likely cause

I didnt see "not working"! Just kidding.

How can we really know its not working if we dont know how long the engine is running. This picture could be taken before start in the morning since its showing engine isnt running. It could be actually cold i mean to say unless you can confirm you drove it for sometime and it remained same.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by tolaolu: 6:00am On Jan 02, 2016
This is a 08 Camry.
I just switched off the engine.
However I don't need to switch on the engine once I turn the key twice everything should raise
But the coolant gauge is not just working again
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:27am On Jan 02, 2016
tolaolu:
Good day boss

the instrument cluster could have a fault or the coolant temp sensor[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKfDJL9Ry30gla5exSvO0N79QhyF1TB4seSQOrtCfDlxbj7a5l0A[/img]
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:30am On Jan 02, 2016
Temas:
Oga gazzuzz.... compliment of the season....I drive a nissan primera 2000 p11-144.. 1.8 engine
I noticed that the engine short oil between service interval.... am using a mobile 1 5W30 full syn oil grade... no smoke... no visible leak ... oil is changed at every 3000km... far less than what is obtainable I guess.. odo is 138000 plus...

what a waste. Try switching to 0w-40 and see if you can get more mileage out of it (5,000miles) if not just stick to 20w50 mineral with 3000km interval change
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by tolaolu: 4:46pm On Jan 02, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

the instrument cluster could have a fault or the coolant temp sensor[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKfDJL9Ry30gla5exSvO0N79QhyF1TB4seSQOrtCfDlxbj7a5l0A[/img]

Thanks

It was a bad fuse
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:12pm On Jan 02, 2016
tolaolu:

Thanks

It was a bad fuse

It was not. There is no fuse on your vehicle specified for temperature gauge on instrument cluster..

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by tolaolu: 2:28am On Jan 03, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

It was not. There is no fuse on your vehicle specified for temperature gauge on instrument cluster..

Well the mech did something on the fuse box that made it work
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Omike85(m): 8:06pm On Jan 03, 2016
oga Gazzuzz...please I av a Toyota Camry that shows oil indicator few minutes when driving then after the car starts overheating.. what could be the cause sir?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:25pm On Jan 03, 2016
Omike85:
oga Gazzuzz...please I av a Toyota Camry that shows oil indicator few minutes when driving then after the car starts overheating.. what could be the cause sir?

oil indicator light (the red one) means low oil pressure. It could be caused by low quantity of engine oil, a blocked strainer or filter or bad oil pump or worn crank shaft bearings but you have also indicated overheating so it's possible the overheating is a symptom of the low oil pressure. Answer these questions

What is your engine type and specification
What is your current oil level?
What engine oil do you use?
Do you have coolant shortage?
Any strange rattling noise from the engine.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Omike85(m): 8:06am On Jan 04, 2016
I use total classic oil 20w 50
engine is 1mz -fe v6
checked the oil level its normal and there is water in the radiator..
there is little rattling noise coming from the engine. it started when the oil indicator came up
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Temas: 8:23am On Jan 04, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

what a waste. Try switching to 0w-40 and see if you can get more mileage out of it (5,000miles) if not just stick to 20w50 mineral with 3000km interval change

thank you boss, please share the price of both oil grade; i wish to visit your workshop this weekend.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by kingreign(m): 7:50pm On Jan 04, 2016
Omike85:

I use total classic oil 20w 50
engine is 1mz -fe v6
checked the oil level its normal and there is water in the radiator..
there is little rattling noise coming from the engine. it started when the oil indicator came up

location bro
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by RazaqMB(m): 9:33pm On Jan 06, 2016
Hello house. I want to service a Camry 2000 model for the first time but I don't know the best grade of engine oil to buy. Please I need assistance and how long can I use the grade recommended for?. Also how much is the engine oil. Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by samorasont: 5:08pm On Jan 07, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

oil indicator light (the red one) means low oil pressure. It could be caused by low quantity of engine oil, a blocked strainer or filter or bad oil pump or worn crank shaft bearings but you have also indicated overheating so it's possible the overheating is a symptom of the low oil pressure. Answer these questions

What is your engine type and specification
What is your current oil level?
What engine oil do you use?
Do you have coolant shortage?
Any strange rattling noise from the engine.

Oga Gazzuzz... Compliments of the Season!

My Mechanic told me that a plug in my Jeep Grand Cherokee 2000 model V8 engine is not firing. We changed all the plugs and the problem still persisted. He checked the coil and injector and confirmed them okay. Please help me with trouble shooting advice on what can be the possible cause and solution.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by colossus2: 5:26pm On Jan 07, 2016
samorasont:

Oga Gazzuzz... Compliments of the Season!

My Mechanic told me that a plug in my Jeep Grand Cherokee 2000 model V8 engine is not firing. We changed all the plugs and the problem still persisted. He checked the coil and injector and confirmed them okay. Please help me with trouble shooting advice on what can be the possible cause and solution.
Is your mechanic your driver?
What happened before you changed all plugs?
What is the problem that is persisting?

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by samorasont: 9:04am On Jan 08, 2016
colossus2:

Is your mechanic your driver?
What happened before you changed all plugs?
What is the problem that is persisting?

I had the car serviced and the mechanic noticed that a plug is not firing, which made me to buy new set of plugs, after replacing them the same place is not firing, so he changed the nozzle and the coil but the same problem is still persisting.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by colossus2: 9:35am On Jan 08, 2016
samorasont:

I had the car serviced and the mechanic noticed that a plug is not firing, which made me to buy new set of plugs, after replacing them the same place is not firing, so he changed the nozzle and the coil but the same problem is still persisting.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Scan your car, change your mechanic.

3 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by prof2015(m): 7:51am On Jan 11, 2016
oga gazzuzz my skoda octavia jerks while in motion pls what do i do to rectify it
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:30am On Jan 11, 2016
prof2015:
oga gazzuzz my skoda octavia jerks while in motion pls what do i do to rectify it

Repair history concerning problem. (what have you tried to do?)
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jaz(m): 9:33am On Jan 11, 2016
House Please there's something weird about my suv. When the gear is in drive and I apply the brakes to a halt eg in traffic sometimes The car continues to rev between 0 and 1000r/min and behaves as if it wants to jump and go. Now I put the gear in neutral to avoid the car driving itself and one day leaving me behind. Is this normal ?

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by prof2015(m): 1:38pm On Jan 11, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Repair history concerning problem. (what have you tried to do?)
started recently but i haven't done anything concerning it because it happens once in a while
But the frequency of it happening has increased. A friend of mine advised i have the carburetor cleaned
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:45pm On Jan 11, 2016
jaz:
House Please there's something weird about my suv. When the gear is in drive and I apply the brakes to a halt eg in traffic sometimes The car continues to rev between 0 and 1000r/min and behaves as if it wants to jump and go. Now I put the gear in neutral to avoid the car driving itself and one day leaving me behind. Is this normal ?

Description of vehicle with details of engine type and size.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:48pm On Jan 11, 2016
prof2015:

started recently but i haven't done anything concerning it because it happens once in a while
But the frequency of it happening has increased. A friend of mine advised i have the carburetor cleaned

been a while I worked on a carb, what year of manufacture is your vehicle?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Omike85(m): 10:37pm On Jan 11, 2016
Oga Gazzuzz. took my boss car for an oil change last week and instead of the normal 20w 50 oil we use the mechanic suggested we use 5w 30 synthetic blend..now after a week..the low oil pressure light came up..den few hours later..the timing belt broke.. we fixed it..the oil light came up again and the timing belt broke again..wat could be happening? vehicle is Honda oddysey with over 160k miles.
no noise...no oil burning and no oil shortage
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:54am On Jan 12, 2016
Omike85:
Oga Gazzuzz. took my boss car for an oil change last week and instead of the normal 20w 50 oil we use the mechanic suggested we use 5w 30 synthetic blend..now after a week..the low oil pressure light came up..den few hours later..the timing belt broke.. we fixed it..the oil light came up again and the timing belt broke again..wat could be happening? vehicle is Honda oddysey with over 160k miles.
no noise...no oil burning and no oil shortage

what was the brand of 5w30 used? When you say "we fixed it" what do you mean? What was replaced?

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (519) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.