Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,339 members, 7,819,199 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:34 PM

Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) - Sports (120) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) (480115 Views)

Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / FIFA U-20 World Cup New Zealand 2015 Full Time Table And Fixtures / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) ... (232) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by lexyman(m): 8:05am On May 29, 2015
tbaba1234:
Leecodeman, don't you think, Manu's talent would be wasted at senior level? At senior level, the coach invites those doing well in their clubs so either way, it will be a mix.

The problem with Keshi is that he keeps inviting Idle players. Look at Omeruo, he has depreciated a lot such that boro did not even name him on the bench yet Keshi invited him. Same with Onazi.

Where is the incentive to improve??

Manu can not just stick to his boys at senior level. He will have to invite other Nigerians doing well in Europe and those that fit his philosophy.

Lets take things one step after the other , Manu is good no doubt ... But his philosophy will be more concrete if the package comes with d Worldcup .
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by tbaba1234: 8:08am On May 29, 2015
African players don't manage success well. Look at Omeruo. He will soon be offloaded by chelsea.

Does anyone remember njemba njemba?

It is important that these boys continue to remain focused on the careers even when they get to a big club or start making money. Look at Messi and Ronaldo, they continue to maintain a high standard.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Leon2036(m): 8:20am On May 29, 2015
One thing some guys don't understand is this, coaching a national team, is a lot more dificult than coaching an age grade side, I'm not saying this to justify keshi, buh u got to realise that coaching a a senior national team full of proffesional, we will all clamour for those who command 1st team shirt in Their respective teams. Knowing fully well that they will likely be released late, manu is a good coach no doubt but he will struggle with the super eagles job beacus he would not have enough time to make the players play as he wants them to, immagine, the reason. Behind the success of most national side, is either dey have a good team in Their league which dey can draw players from or majority of Their players plays for big teams in Europe where they have two or more of Their national team mate playing together. Del basque is a very good coach but we all know the man and team behind Spain 2010 success (Pep and barca) low is also a good coach, buh would u deny that Pep and bayern had no influence in germany's world cup wining team? Like I said I'm not saying this to defend keshi buh Nigeria we still have. A long way to go!!

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by lexyman(m): 8:21am On May 29, 2015
tbaba1234:
African players don't manage success well. Look at Omeruo. He will soon be offloaded by chelsea.

It is important that these boys continue to remain focused on the careers even when they get to a big club or start making money. Look at Messi and Ronaldo, they continue to maintain a high standard.

The mentality has to change , we have just few footballers that are passionate about the game at senior level ,so many play for the love of money . Africa needs to change their mentality .
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Leon2036(m): 8:24am On May 29, 2015
African players see football as a job, others see it as just a game!!
tbaba1234:

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by terzurum5(m): 8:26am On May 29, 2015
LeeCodeman:
[b]I honestly wish you guys can see what Manu Garba has done. He has created an identity. A unique philosophy. I believe a playing pattern that coaching schools can study and teach to their students.

While I believe that he would be very valuable for him to return to the U17 and continue to unearthen gems, I believe his best usefulness will be to complete this project. The project to seeing out this wonderful generation of players.

Think about it: what is the point of getting these players and acquainting them to a playing philosophy that makes them the darling of youth football lovers around the world and then hand them over to a SiaSia or a Keshi who would rather play one or two of them and then continue to invite players from around the globe telling us that he is rebuilding.

I'm already sad at the prospect of scattering this team in the hands of other coaches.

The thing with Garba is that while the all-conquering U-17 formed the bedrock of this team, certain additions have been made that no one can fault. He has NEVER been accused of prejudice in team selection. He replaces talents with talents with no bias at all. And you know what, the team still keeps the shape that we all know right from the start.

Check out all the great teams in the World and the ones gone past, they all have a playing philosophy. From the tiki-taka Barcelona team to the Diamond-Shaped Chelsea Team to the Real Madrid Counter-Attacking Style. You must have a style of play. And just like Cryuff once said, all of the great teams of the past, be it the Ajax team of the seventies, AC Milan team of the late eighties, Celtic team of the Sixties, Manchester United team of the Nineties, apart from having a unique football philosophy, a large part of their team are players that are homegrown.

Now that's a good point. I see Pinnick running around the world and begging every tom, dick and harry that has a Nigerian name to play for us. In the long-term, it is counter-productive. Why? Because they cannot form the bedrock of your team. A cue can be taken from what Manu Garba said about why he still invited Kelechi, Isaac and even Moses. He said these ones have always been with the team and even if they did not participate at the AYC, they know and understand the PHILOSOPHY. That's it, folks. Ten years from now, ask these players how their Golden Eaglets and Flying Eagles team played and their precise movements while attacking and defending on the pitch and they will tell you with teary eyes even in their sleep. It's ingrained because they were taught from the cradle.

The reason this home-grown philosophy is even very important is because in the National setup, they will not have as much time to be together in Camp as when they were in the Youth setup. However, because they have learned this philosophy so early in their football career and have achieved great results with it, it is impossible for them to forget. This is invaluable.

I dont know how the NFF wants to do it but Manu Garba must be made to continue with these boys to the Olympics in 2016 and the World Cup in 2018. There is not a single member of this team that does not respect manu Garba and Nduka Ugbade. I mean, they do not just respect him as their coaches, they see him as a father who launched their careers on a global scale. They are forever INDEBTED to him. Unlike Keshi who openly says that Mikel is not picking and calling him back, this is very unlikely to happen and when it does, no football lover in Nigeria will be fearful about the outcome BECAUSE there are capable hands from a large pool of players that can do a better job. Every member of this team knows that. You think it's not a big deal that Sokari who has played with the U23 and the Super Eagles says that he does not command a regular shirt in this Flying Eagles team and that everyone has to be hand working to be picked?

I am truly excited about this team. It's not a surprise to see why.[/b]
You ve said it all
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 8:42am On May 29, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Milne: New Zealand must play without fear[/size]

As advice goes, Adam Milne's to the New Zealand U-20 team could not be any simpler. Nor could the international fast bowler be accused of failing to practice what he preaches, having been part of the Kiwi team that captivated a nation at the recent Cricket World Cup.

Milne and his team-mates were the revelations of that tournament, playing a fearless and relentlessly attacking brand of cricket that took them all the way to the final. And while emulating that achievement is likely to prove a tall order for the country's U-20 footballers, Milne said that the Black Caps' experience can provide some useful pointers.

"I think the main thing to take from we did is to play without fear," he told FIFA.com. "We just went out and enjoyed every game; there was never any sense of worry or feeling under pressure. There will be times when things don't go exactly to plan for the boys at this World Cup - that happened to us too - but going out there without fear will help them a lot.

"They have to enjoy it. It's not often you get to play in a World Cup, never mind a World Cup in your home country, so my main advice is just to make the most of the opportunity. For us, it was six weeks of absolute fun. We loved every minute. We knew we'd get some support as the home team but the extent of it, the fact we had everyone getting behind us so much, took everyone by surprise. The momentum just seemed to keep building. Hopefully the U-20 boys can get a taste of something like that too."

They have to enjoy it. It's not often you get to play in a World Cup, never mind a World Cup in your home country.

Adam Milne

Whether similar scenes will be witnessed, given the dominance of rugby and cricket in New Zealand, remains to be seen. But Milne is certainly of the belief that his country would be wise to embrace not only the U-20 World Cup, but the beautiful game as a whole.

"I think it's a tournament everyone should be getting behind but then I'm a bit biased because I've always loved football," he said. "I've played the game since I was young and have great memories of watching it too. The World Cup in 2010 stands out as a Kiwi because it was fantastic to see our team go up against the likes of Italy and come home unbeaten.

"I've seen the TV ads for the U-20s and I think it will be a great tournament, with real high-quality football. You look at the history and pretty much every superstar over recent decades has played in this competition. To have the chance to see that next generation of stars is great for New Zealand because we don't often have a lot of top-level football on our doorstep."

Earlier this year, Milne enjoyed a kick-about with one of the tournament's participants when Junior All Whites keeper Oli Sail dropped in on the national cricket team. He said: "It was cool to have Oli join us and I was really pleased to see the news about his contract (Sail this week signed a two-year deal with Wellington Phoenix). Obviously I'll take any excuse for a kick-about and it was good to have the chance to wish him and the team good luck. I'm hoping to get along to a game in Wellington and would love it if the New Zealand boys can do well."

As a keen cricketer in his youth, Sail undoubtedly relished the experience of rubbing shoulders with the all-conquering Black Caps. He also provided a glowing review of Milne's football skills, singling out the 23-year-old as "excellent", adding: "I think he used to play at a decent level". Indeed, the pair held a common bond in this respect, having both spent their teenage years torn over which of their beloved sports to pursue.

As Milne explained: "There was definitely a period when football was ahead of cricket for me. I remember when I was about 14 or 15 having a football tournament that clashed with my cricket commitments and I chose to go to the football tournament. It was only later that I started to focus more on the cricket. I obviously have no regrets but football's a game I loved playing. I can't really do it anymore unfortunately because my cricket teams wouldn't be too happy if I picked up an injury playing another sport. These days, I just stick to being a fan."

It is in that role that Milne will be cheering on New Zealand over the coming weeks, hoping for yet another Kiwi sporting success story. [/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by terzurum5(m): 8:45am On May 29, 2015
U-20 World Cup preview: The groups, the favorites, USA outlook and the game’s future stars.
Night owls, rejoice, for the 2015 U-20 World Cup, which is being played in New Zealand, kicks off late Thursday night or very, very early Friday morning (depending on what time zone you live in).
[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s U-20 WC coverage]
The bi-annual tournament returns and brings with it yet another showcase of some of the world’s very best up and coming talent from all corners of the globe. Want to see the next great South American star from Brazil or Argentina? The U-20 World Cup is the place to do just that. Oh, and the Americans are back for a second straight cycle, carrying expectations as heavy as any wave of youngsters dawning the Stars and Stripes have in quite some time.
The groups
Group A —Myanmar, New Zealand (hosts), Ukraine, United States
Group B —Argentina, Austria, Ghana, Panama
Group C —Colombia, Portugal, Qatar, Senegal
Group D —Mali, Mexico, Serbia, Uruguay
Group E —Brazil, Hungary, Nigeria, North Korea
Group F —Fiji, Germany, Honduras, Uzbekistan
The favorites
Hey, guess what — Brazil, Argentina and Germany have lots more really good, young players coming through the pipeline, so expect them to be around for the latter stages.
Unlike the big World Cup, winning at the youth level isn’t so much about being the bestteamas it is having the best player, or collection of two or three players. Fortunately for the above mentioned sides, they’ve got both top-end talent and overall better, deeper squads than most.
But don’t be surprised when someone unexpected — think Uruguay, Nigeria or Mexico — has one of the tournament’s leading scorer or assist men, and rides that wave of production to a semifinal or finals appearance. It happens almost every youth tournament — Ghana and Iraq bowed out in the 2013 semifinals.
USA outlook This time around, the draw was kind to Tab Ramos & Co. Remember that vicious 2013 draw — Spain, France and Ghana? Woof. It went about as poorly as was to be expected — zero points and a minus-6 goal differential.
Ukraine, New Zealand and Myanmar is an infinitely better draw. In fact, failing to make it out of the group would be a massive failure. From there, the Baby Yanks could face any one of Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Portugal, Mexico, Uruguay, Serbia or Nigeria. Obviously winning the group becomes advantageous to avoid some of the heavyweights.
Qualification was pretty straightforward for Ramos’ squad after struggling in their first two group games (1-1 vs. Guatemala, 0-1 vs. Panama). The rosterfeatures a number of changes from qualification, but optimism surrounds a side with first-team regulars for their respective club teams — Emerson Hyndman (Fulham), Rubio Rubin (Utrecht), Tommy Thompson (San Jose Earthquakes), Matt Miazga (New York Red Bulls) and Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas) — making up much of the expected starting 11.
Stars of the future
Angel Correa, forward, Argentina & Atletico Madrid —20 years old — Moved from San Lorenzo (Argentina) to Atletico Madrid last summer, but missed six months of his first season in Spain after a tumor was discovered on his heart. Scored 12 goals in 65 league games in Argentina’s first division, as a teenager.
Kelechi Iheanacho, forward, Nigeria & Manchester City —18 years old — Was the star (Golden Ball winner) of Nigeria’s U-17 World Cup-winning side back in 2013. Moved to Man City shortly thereafter, where he’s impressed for the Citizen’s reserve side.
Andreas Pereira, midfielder, Brazil & Manchester United —19 years old — Made his Premier League debut this season, before signing a new three-year contract weeks later. Belgian-born, but a frequent standout for Brazil’s youth teams at all levels.
Giovanni Simeone, forward, Argentina & River Plate —19 years old — The son of Atleti manager Diego, Giovanni made his first-team debut for River not long after his 18th birthday. Born in Madrid, could have played for Spain, but elected to play for the country of his father’s birth.
Hirving Lozano, midfielder, Mexico & Pachuca —19 years old — Nearly 50 appearances for Pachuca’s first team, including 29 this season (7 league goals); 2015 CONCACAF U-20 Championship (qualifying tournament) Golden Boot winner
Andrija Zivkovic, midfielder, Serbia & Partizan —18 years old — 60 first-team appearances for Partizan; scored 5 league goals each of the last two seasons (12 total, all competitions); made 10 appearances in Champions League qualification playoffs and Europa League this season.
Diego Poyet, midfielder, Uruguay & West Ham United —20 years old — Another son of a famous father — former Sunderland manager Gus — Diego made a handful of first-team appearances this year, his first season with the Hammers.
prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/28/u-20-world-cup-preview-the-groups-the-favorites-usa-outlook-and-the-games-future-stars/
To continue......
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 9:24am On May 29, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Stage set for future stars in New Zealand[/size]

Kia Ora! Welcome to New Zealand – the first country in the world to see the sun’s dazzling smile each day, and one that will capture the attention of the footballing world over the next three weeks. With the 20th edition of the FIFA U-20 World Cup now almost upon us, there are no limits to either the hospitality of the cordial Kiwis or the high-quality football that will soon be on offer as some of the beautiful game’s future stars take their bow on the world stage.

In the footsteps of Messi and Co.
The curtain will finally rise on FIFA’s most important youth tournament when the hotly anticipated Opening Match between the hosts and Ukraine kicks off in Auckland on Saturday at 13:00 local time. Driven by the ambition to make a name for themselves on the international stage, 504 of the world’s most talented youngsters are preparing to launch a bid for this coveted trophy. Seized by a thirst for adventure and a desire to write an indelible chapter in footballing history, the tournament’s 24 teams are ready to battle it out to succeed reigning champions France and claim the trophy.

The U-20 World Cup is set to generate plenty of excitement under the motto: 'This is the One!' Sports-mad New Zealanders are well aware that these finals provide a unique opportunity to see the next generation of footballing gems from every corner of the globe playing in their own stadiums. “Lionel Messi, Ronaldinho, Michael Owen and Adriano all played in one of the earlier editions of this tournament, making it a fantastic opportunity for Kiwis to see the next generation of superstars in action," the country’s prime minister, John Key, wrote in his foreword for the programme published by the Local Organising Committee (LOC),

Great expectations for title contenders
The finals, hosted in the seven cities of Auckland, Christchurch, Dunedin, Hamilton, New Plymouth, Whangarei and Wellington, promise to be a highly competitive affair. With France surprisingly failing to qualify for New Zealand 2015 after winning the last edition of the tournament two years ago, Argentina – record six-time world champions in this age group despite not playing at Turkey 2013 – and five-time victors Brazil are likely to be two of the main title contenders.

Among the other sides with high hopes are Portugal, who have lifted this trophy twice before, and Germany, who travel to Oceania having emerged victorious from last year’s U-19 European Championship. And no list of potential winners would be complete without the consistent threat posed by west African teams. Ghana have reached the semi-finals of this competition on five occasions and went home as champions in 2009, while Nigeria have finished as runners-up twice before and are seeking to finally become the second team from their continent to take home youth football’s greatest accolade.

“The U-20 World Cup is one of the greatest tournaments on the world stage, and some of the very best nations will be competing for the trophy in New Zealand,” said a proud Winston Reid in an interview with FIFA.com. The All Whites’ captain, who boasts Maori ancestry, is most excited at the prospect of the different playing influences on display during the competition. “Every match will have an appeal all of its own,” he said. “Every team will have a totally unique philosophy and playing style.”

Fan favourites keen to impress
The host nation are fired up and sure to capture the hearts of many supporters. The Junior All Whites are hoping the roar of their home crowd will help them to significantly improve their tally of two draws and seven defeats from their three previous appearances at U-20 World Cups, and coach Darren Bazeley is enthusiastic about his team’s prospects: “This tournament gives us a great opportunity to show New Zealand’s football and the players within our squad in the best possible light. We’ve got to ensure that the footballers in our team deliver strong performances for both themselves and their country. This competition is a fantastic chance for all of us.”

As is so often the case, the event’s two debutants are also sure to receive plenty of public support. Both Myanmar and Fiji are taking part in their first FIFA U-20 World Cup and are determined to make a lasting impression. “Anyone visiting New Zealand will have a fantastic time,” said Reid. “As hosts it’s our job to ensure that we send our guests home with unforgettable memories. There’s no doubt that the tournament will be a huge success and I really hope it captures the public’s imagination. Although football is growing in this country, it’s far from being the most popular sport, so hopefully this competition will also help football to generate more attention and acknowledgement here."

Enthusiasm and inspiration
The FIFA U-20 World Cup is returning to this corner of the globe for the third time after two previous editions were hosted by Australia. It is also the third time New Zealand has hosted a FIFA tournament after welcoming players and fans to its shores for the U-17 World Cup 1999 and the U-17 Women’s World Cup 2008. In his foreword to the programme published by the LOC, FIFA President Blatter wrote: “We hope that this event will help to give the sport a boost both in this country and the wider region and inspire even more young people, boys and girls alike, to play football.”

A whole host of rough diamonds who have already made a name for themselves are aiming to take a step towards becoming idols in New Zealand. Brazilian Andreas Pereira and Argentinians Angel Correa and Giovanni Simeone are hungry for success and looking forward to the start of the tournament as eagerly as Colombians Jeison Lucumi and Andres Tello, while Bundesliga starlets Marc Stendera and Julian Brandt are seeking to cause a sensation with the German team. Nigeria’s Moses Simon is hoping to demonstrate his goalscoring threat as effectively at this World Cup as he has in Belgium over the past six months, and Bill Tuiloma – currently playing for top French side Marseille - is determined to lead the Junior All Whites into the knockout stages.

It is difficult to imagine a more promising U-20 World Cup, with its array of excellent stadiums, warm-hearted and enthusiastic hosts and some of the world’s most talented young footballers battling it out for the special honour of lifting the trophy into the evening sky over Auckland on 20 July. Who will win the race? Only time will tell. All that remains is to wish the young protagonists well with that Maori greeting meaning “be well”[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by LeeCodeman: 9:25am On May 29, 2015
tbaba1234:
Leecodeman, don't you think, Manu's talent would be wasted at senior level? At senior level, the coach invites those doing well in their clubs so either way, it will be a mix.

The problem with Keshi is that he keeps inviting Idle players. Look at Omeruo, he has depreciated a lot such that boro did not even name him on the bench yet Keshi invited him. Same with Onazi.

Where is the incentive to improve??

Manu can not just stick to his boys at senior level. He will have to invite other Nigerians doing well in Europe and those that fit his philosophy.

[b]
Good observation!

But I will refer you to the things that have worked for us in the past. Let's talk about the Golden Generation of the 1990s.

Finidi George became known while playing for Nigeria starting from his incredible 3 assists for Rashidi Yekini in 1991 ACN qualifier. Then he was still playing in Sharks in Port Harcourt. The National team brought him to the limelight. He then went ahead to play for Ajax winning the Champions' league.

Kanu Nwankwo was in Iwanyanwu Nationale when he led Nigeria to triumph in Japan 1993. After that he became known and played for Ajax, Inter, and Arsenal.

Rashidi Yekini began his prolific international career when he scored for Nigeria in 1985 against Kenya while still playing in Abiola Babes. He was thereafter snatchup by Africa Sports, then Victoria Setubal and Olympiacos.

MutiuAdepoju shone for Nigeria in 1989 World Youth Championship while playing for Julius Berger. He was so good that he was bought by Real Madrid.

Amokachi was laying for Ranchers Bees of Kano and was so good while playing for Nigeria in ACN 1990 that Club Brugge bought him straight after the Nation's Cup.

Stephen Keshi ascension started at New Nigeria Bank Club but it was while he shone in the National shirt that he moved abroad.

I could tell you more. From Siasia to Peter Rufai to Uche Okechukwu to Ben Iroha.

What all of them have in common is that our golden era was brought about because we took our National teams serious and because we performed on a global scale, foreign clubs took notice and bought our players. The more we achieve from our youth teams to the National team, the more prestigious the clubs that will come for our players.

It's already something we have observed with this team. Do you remotely think Man City would have bought Kelechi if we didnt play well at the U17 World Cup. NEVER! Isaac would never have gotten Udinese if we didnt do well at the AYC in Morocco 2013. Nobody would known about Ezeh or Yahaya or Alampasu. Even with the talents in this team, if we fail to perform well in this U20 World Cup, the careers of most of these players will decline. Most top clubs dont think high of our players playing in our local clubs or academies. It is when we perform beyond all reasonable doubts that the World will take notice and good foreign clubs will line up to get a taste.

Here is what I'm saying: if we are truly serious about making a statement with our football in the next 10 years, Manu Garba must be made to oversee this unique project. Let him take over from Siasia, let's do well in the Olympics in 2016, and I swear that by the time it is 2018, our first team in the World Cup will parade a first 11 that the players all play in the best leagues in the World.

How did our national team degenerate to the level where we are calling players from China and Serbia and we are hailing the callups!

What do you guys think about having players playing REGULARLY in Man City, Valencia, Sevilla, Porto, Arsenal. Juventus, PSG, Arsenal, Chelsea, Atletico Madrid, Bayern Munich? That's the dream! There is not a single player in this team that will be too small for these top clubs in the next 2 years. They are a talented bunch. And the thing with playing in top clubs is that the more talented a squad you are playing in, the better you become as a player. Iron sharpeneth iron.

And I bet you this will happen if we allow Manu Garba continue with this project. Because it is only when we win major trophies that this will happen. When we win trophies playing GOOD football with a unique philosophy, clubs will fall over themselves to sign our players.

This is my honest opinion. There is so much analysis I have done about this team. I can craft a book about it. But these nuggets are highlights about how we can shoot to the top in a relative short period of time.

Guys, we can win the World Cup in 2018. It is not rocket science. Get your players in top clubs playing at high pressure every week. How do you do this as an African country? Win trophies from the Youth setup playing a special brand of football style. Hype up these players in the international media and shield them from greedy agents. Setup a national player transfer policy that does this.

So much to write, but let's win this U20 trophy first. Agents from all over the world will be watching LIVE in stadiums in new Zealand and on TV. Let's take it from there.[/b]

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:33am On May 29, 2015
LeeCodeman:

[b]
Good observation!

But I will refer you to the things that have worked for us in the past. Let's talk about the Golden Generation of the 1990s.

Finidi George became known while playing for Nigeria starting from his incredible 3 assists for Rashidi Yekini in 1991 ACN qualifier. Then he was still playing in Sharks in Port Harcourt. The National team brought him to the limelight. He then went ahead to play for Ajax winning the Champions' league.

Kanu Nwankwo was in Iwanyanwu Nationale when he led Nigeria to triumph in Japan 1993. After that he became known and played for Ajax, Inter, and Arsenal.

Rashidi Yekini began his prolific international career when he scored for Nigeria in 1985 against Kenya while still playing in Abiola Babes. He was thereafter snatchup by Africa Sports, then Victoria Setubal and Olympiacos.

MutiuAdepoju shone for Nigeria in 1989 World Youth Championship while playing for Julius Berger. He was so good that he was bought by Real Madrid.

Amokachi was laying for Ranchers Bees of Kano and was so good while playing for Nigeria in ACN 1990 that Club Brugge bought him straight after the Nation's Cup.

Stephen Keshi ascension started at New Nigeria Bank Club but it was while he shone in the National shirt that he moved abroad.

I could tell you more. From Siasia to Peter Rufai to Uche Okechukwu to Ben Iroha.

What all of them have in common is that our golden era was brought about because we took our National teams serious and because we performed on a global scale, foreign clubs took notice and bought our players. The more we achieve from our youth teams to the National team, the more prestigious the clubs that will come for our players.

It's already something we have observed with this team. Do you remotely think Man City would have bought Kelechi if we didnt play well at the U17 World Cup. NEVER! Isaac would never have gotten Udinese if we didnt do well at the AYC in Morocco 2013. Nobody would known about Ezeh or Yahaya or Alampasu. Even with the talents in this team, if we fail to perform well in this U20 World Cup, the careers of most of these players will decline. Most top clubs dont think high of our players playing in our local clubs or academies. It is when we perform beyond all reasonable doubts that the World will take notice and good foreign clubs will line up to get a taste.

Here is what I'm saying: if we are truly serious about making a statement with our football in the next 10 years, Manu Garba must be made to oversee this unique project. Let him take over from Siasia, let's do well in the Olympics in 2016, and I swear that by the time it is 2018, our first team in the World Cup will parade a first 11 that the players all play in the best leagues in the World.

How did our national team degenerate to the level where we are calling players from China and Serbia and we are hailing the callups!

What do you guys think about having players playing REGULARLY in Man City, Valencia, Sevilla, Porto, Arsenal. Juventus, PSG, Arsenal, Chelsea, Atletico Madrid, Bayern Munich? That's the dream! There is not a single player in this team that will be too small for these top clubs in the next 2 years. They are a talented bunch. And the thing with playing in top clubs is that the more talented a squad you are playing in, the better you become as a player. Iron sharpeneth iron.

And I bet you this will happen if we allow Manu Garba continue with this project. Because it is only when we win major trophies that this will happen. When we win trophies playing GOOD football with a unique philosophy, clubs will fall over themselves to sign our players.

This is my honest opinion. There is so much analysis I have done about this team. I can craft a book about it. But these nuggets are highlights about how we can shoot to the top in a relative short period of time.

Guys, we can win the World Cup in 2018. It is not rocket science. Get your players in top clubs playing at high pressure every week. How do you do this as an African country? Win trophies from the Youth setup playing a special brand of football style. Hype up these players in the international media and shield them from greedy agents. Setup a national player transfer policy that does this.

So much to write, but let's win this U20 trophy first. Agents from all over the world will be watching LIVE in stadiums in new Zealand and on TV. Let's take it from there.[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:45am On May 29, 2015
LeeCodeman:

[b]
Good observation!

Awesome piece Sir LeeCodeman!!! A lot of pple may be dreaming world cup success at Qatar 2022 with these boys but Russia 2018 can be our first real shot at world cup glory. 2022 may see us take it 4 the 2nd time... Even for the Afcon, we can dominate for the next 5 editions or more frm 2017... Guys, I believe... And we can get it right... This I know.
Va va va 'SUPER' FLYING EAGLES! ! ! ! ! ! !...
Va va va Manuel Garbadiola, McNduka Ugbade et Crew! ! ! ! !
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:51am On May 29, 2015
LeeCodeman:

[b]
Good observation!

chai God bless u. u don talk am finish everything u said i surport.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by terzurum5(m): 9:52am On May 29, 2015
Gedion Zelalem, midfielder, United States & Arsenal —18 years old — Crowned the next savior of American soccer long before his switch from German to American international was approved. Just a pair of first-team appearances for Arsenal, but rave reviews from Arsene Wengerhave USMNT supporters crazed with hope and excitement.
Godfred Donsah, midfielder, Ghana & Cagliari —18 years old — Made his Serie A debut at 17 years old; scored twice for a relegated Cagliari side this season after becoming a regular in the first team (20 starts).
prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/28/u-20-world-cup-preview-the-groups-the-favorites-usa-outlook-and-the-games-future-stars/

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Nobody: 9:53am On May 29, 2015
Assalamualaikum, flying eagles ya kamata ku dawo mana da kofin nan shi Buhari ya Samu yasha ruwa. ..
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by EagleScribes: 10:00am On May 29, 2015
LeeCodeman:
[b]I honestly wish you guys can see what Manu Garba has done. He has created an identity. A unique philosophy. I believe a playing pattern that coaching schools can study and teach to their students.

While I believe that he would be very valuable for him to return to the U17 and continue to unearthen gems, I believe his best usefulness will be to complete this project. The project to seeing out this wonderful generation of players.

Think about it: what is the point of getting these players and acquainting them to a playing philosophy that makes them the darling of youth football lovers around the world and then hand them over to a SiaSia or a Keshi who would rather play one or two of them and then continue to invite players from around the globe telling us that he is rebuilding.

I'm already sad at the prospect of scattering this team in the hands of other coaches.

The thing with Garba is that while the all-conquering U-17 formed the bedrock of this team, certain additions have been made that no one can fault. He has NEVER been accused of prejudice in team selection. He replaces talents with talents with no bias at all. And you know what, the team still keeps the shape that we all know right from the start.

Check out all the great teams in the World and the ones gone past, they all have a playing philosophy. From the tiki-taka Barcelona team to the Diamond-Shaped Chelsea Team to the Real Madrid Counter-Attacking Style. You must have a style of play. And just like Cryuff once said, all of the great teams of the past, be it the Ajax team of the seventies, AC Milan team of the late eighties, Celtic team of the Sixties, Manchester United team of the Nineties, apart from having a unique football philosophy, a large part of their team are players that are homegrown.

Now that's a good point. I see Pinnick running around the world and begging every tom, dick and harry that has a Nigerian name to play for us. In the long-term, it is counter-productive. Why? Because they cannot form the bedrock of your team. A cue can be taken from what Manu Garba said about why he still invited Kelechi, Isaac and even Moses. He said these ones have always been with the team and even if they did not participate at the AYC, they know and understand the PHILOSOPHY. That's it, folks. Ten years from now, ask these players how their Golden Eaglets and Flying Eagles team played and their precise movements while attacking and defending on the pitch and they will tell you with teary eyes even in their sleep. It's ingrained because they were taught from the cradle.

The reason this home-grown philosophy is even very important is because in the National setup, they will not have as much time to be together in Camp as when they were in the Youth setup. However, because they have learned this philosophy so early in their football career and have achieved great results with it, it is impossible for them to forget. This is invaluable.

I dont know how the NFF wants to do it but Manu Garba must be made to continue with these boys to the Olympics in 2016 and the World Cup in 2018. There is not a single member of this team that does not respect manu Garba and Nduka Ugbade. I mean, they do not just respect him as their coaches, they see him as a father who launched their careers on a global scale. They are forever INDEBTED to him. Unlike Keshi who openly says that Mikel is not picking and calling him back, this is very unlikely to happen and when it does, no football lover in Nigeria will be fearful about the outcome BECAUSE there are capable hands from a large pool of players that can do a better job. Every member of this team knows that. You think it's not a big deal that Sokari who has played with the U23 and the Super Eagles says that he does not command a regular shirt in this Flying Eagles team and that everyone has to be hand working to be picked?

I am truly excited about this team. It's not a surprise to see why.[/b]

Another insightful analysis here buttressing what I've been saying all this while.

I really wish someone from NFF can come over to read these posts. They are invaluable and so golden.

I wonder what the duty of the technical panel of the NFF is and what their inputs are since inauguration. Analysts here are far more technical than them I dare say
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by mikron(m): 10:02am On May 29, 2015
Davik01:
How dare u wish ur brothers ill luck of ds magnitude. U n ur likes are d reasons y black race are still backward in all spheres of development. Shame on u.
you really have time to reply that wale dude. we know him and his cohorts like bin-gbagbo, petrodollar, jiggaman etc. no mind him, na jealousy dey worry am cheesy cheesy
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 10:23am On May 29, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Stage set for future stars in New Zealand[/size]

Kia Ora! Welcome to New Zealand – the first country in the world to see the sun’s dazzling smile each day, and one that will capture the attention of the footballing world over the next three weeks. With the 20th edition of the FIFA U-20 World Cup now almost upon us, there are no limits to either the hospitality of the cordial Kiwis or the high-quality football that will soon be on offer as some of the beautiful game’s future stars take their bow on the world stage.

In the footsteps of Messi and Co.
The curtain will finally rise on FIFA’s most important youth tournament when the hotly anticipated Opening Match between the hosts and Ukraine kicks off in Auckland on Saturday at 13:00 local time. Driven by the ambition to make a name for themselves on the international stage, 504 of the world’s most talented youngsters are preparing to launch a bid for this coveted trophy. Seized by a thirst for adventure and a desire to write an indelible chapter in footballing history, the tournament’s 24 teams are ready to battle it out to succeed reigning champions France and claim the trophy.

The U-20 World Cup is set to generate plenty of excitement under the motto: 'This is the One!' Sports-mad New Zealanders are well aware that these finals provide a unique opportunity to see the next generation of footballing gems from every corner of the globe playing in their own stadiums. “Lionel Messi, Ronaldinho, Michael Owen and Adriano all played in one of the earlier editions of this tournament, making it a fantastic opportunity for Kiwis to see the next generation of superstars in action," the country’s prime minister, John Key, wrote in his foreword for the programme published by the Local Organising Committee (LOC),

Great expectations for title contenders
The finals, hosted in the seven cities of Auckland, Christchurch, Dunedin, Hamilton, New Plymouth, Whangarei and Wellington, promise to be a highly competitive affair. With France surprisingly failing to qualify for New Zealand 2015 after winning the last edition of the tournament two years ago, Argentina – record six-time world champions in this age group despite not playing at Turkey 2013 – and five-time victors Brazil are likely to be two of the main title contenders.

Among the other sides with high hopes are Portugal, who have lifted this trophy twice before, and Germany, who travel to Oceania having emerged victorious from last year’s U-19 European Championship. And no list of potential winners would be complete without the consistent threat posed by west African teams. Ghana have reached the semi-finals of this competition on five occasions and went home as champions in 2009, while Nigeria have finished as runners-up twice before and are seeking to finally become the second team from their continent to take home youth football’s greatest accolade.

“The U-20 World Cup is one of the greatest tournaments on the world stage, and some of the very best nations will be competing for the trophy in New Zealand,” said a proud Winston Reid in an interview with FIFA.com. The All Whites’ captain, who boasts Maori ancestry, is most excited at the prospect of the different playing influences on display during the competition. “Every match will have an appeal all of its own,” he said. “Every team will have a totally unique philosophy and playing style.”

Fan favourites keen to impress
The host nation are fired up and sure to capture the hearts of many supporters. The Junior All Whites are hoping the roar of their home crowd will help them to significantly improve their tally of two draws and seven defeats from their three previous appearances at U-20 World Cups, and coach Darren Bazeley is enthusiastic about his team’s prospects: “This tournament gives us a great opportunity to show New Zealand’s football and the players within our squad in the best possible light. We’ve got to ensure that the footballers in our team deliver strong performances for both themselves and their country. This competition is a fantastic chance for all of us.”

As is so often the case, the event’s two debutants are also sure to receive plenty of public support. Both Myanmar and Fiji are taking part in their first FIFA U-20 World Cup and are determined to make a lasting impression. “Anyone visiting New Zealand will have a fantastic time,” said Reid. “As hosts it’s our job to ensure that we send our guests home with unforgettable memories. There’s no doubt that the tournament will be a huge success and I really hope it captures the public’s imagination. Although football is growing in this country, it’s far from being the most popular sport, so hopefully this competition will also help football to generate more attention and acknowledgement here."

Enthusiasm and inspiration
The FIFA U-20 World Cup is returning to this corner of the globe for the third time after two previous editions were hosted by Australia. It is also the third time New Zealand has hosted a FIFA tournament after welcoming players and fans to its shores for the U-17 World Cup 1999 and the U-17 Women’s World Cup 2008. In his foreword to the programme published by the LOC, FIFA President Blatter wrote: “We hope that this event will help to give the sport a boost both in this country and the wider region and inspire even more young people, boys and girls alike, to play football.”

A whole host of rough diamonds who have already made a name for themselves are aiming to take a step towards becoming idols in New Zealand. Brazilian Andreas Pereira and Argentinians Angel Correa and Giovanni Simeone are hungry for success and looking forward to the start of the tournament as eagerly as Colombians Jeison Lucumi and Andres Tello, while Bundesliga starlets Marc Stendera and Julian Brandt are seeking to cause a sensation with the German team. Nigeria’s Moses Simon is hoping to demonstrate his goalscoring threat as effectively at this World Cup as he has in Belgium over the past six months, and Bill Tuiloma – currently playing for top French side Marseille - is determined to lead the Junior All Whites into the knockout stages.

It is difficult to imagine a more promising U-20 World Cup, with its array of excellent stadiums, warm-hearted and enthusiastic hosts and some of the world’s most talented young footballers battling it out for the special honour of lifting the trophy into the evening sky over Auckland on 20 July. Who will win the race? Only time will tell. All that remains is to wish the young protagonists well with that Maori greeting meaning “be well” – Kia Ora! [/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:23am On May 29, 2015
rabzy:

If you watch the game you don't see busquets, you watch busquets, you've seen the whole game.

Five Star comment. I doff my hat in respect.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:40am On May 29, 2015
joseph1013:

On Coach Manu Garba’s submission that Iheanacho and two other late comers to camp would not start the World Cup games, Iheanacho said: “Whatever strategy the coach applies will be perfectly okay by me.”

From this statement, it seems Nacho will not lead the attack line. I trust Coach Manu Garba and his coaching crew's judgment. What ever formation and strategy they adopt will suit the team perfectly.

Fly Eagles Fly.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 11:01am On May 29, 2015
[b][size=14pt]It's show time[/size]

The countdown is almost over: the FIFA U-20 World Cup New Zealand 2015 is just around the corner. Eight teams will take to the pitch on 30 May bidding to stake their claim to the throne vacated by holders France, who failed to qualify.

It all kicks off in the early afternoon, when eyes will be on Auckland's North Harbour Stadium, where New Zealand and Ukraine will get the ball rolling. However, there will be plenty worth watching elsewhere too. While USA face Myanmar in Whangarei, six-time champions Argentina will take on Panama in Wellington, where Ghana against Austria will subsequently round off the action. FIFA.com previews what promises to be a pulsating opening day.

Match of the day
New Zealand-Ukraine, Auckland, 30 May 2015, 13:00 local time

New Zealand have never made it out of the group stage and will be hoping that the home factor will spur them on to venture into uncharted territory. Their first test in Group A will be provided by Ukraine, who have only graced the tournament twice before (in 2001 and 2005) but reached the Round of 16 on both occasions. Safe to say then, that the All Whites will be up against formidable opposition and will need to hit the ground running if they are to secure three priceless points and take a step towards fulfilling the dream of progressing to the next round.

Both sides stand out for their physical attributes and can also boast a core group of players who know each other well. Some 12 members of the New Zealand set-up contested the FIFA U-17 World Cup two years ago. Meanwhile, Ukraine's squad consists entirely of domestic-based players, five of whom ply their trade together at Dynamo Kiev, the reigning league champions.

The other matches
There is a clear favourite and underdog in the first Group B encounter. Six-time champions Argentina begin their challenge for another title against Panama, who have been to four editions of the tournament and do not have a single victory to show for it. The Albiceleste exhibited devastating firepower en route to New Zealand, with 24 goals scored in nine matches, and they may well need it to break down a team that clinched their spot without conceding once.

Taking place at the same time as this game will be the second Group A fixture, which pits Myanmar against USA. While the Asians will be making their debut at the event, having qualified by getting to the semi-finals of the 2014 AFC U-19 Championship, their opponents are nothing if not experienced, with USA embarking on their 14th campaign.

Last but not least, Ghana meet Austria. Whereas the Africans finished third at Turkey 2013, their opponents possess less pedigree, even if several of their number are with clubs in Europe's major leagues. Unfortunately for the Austrians, one such player, their star man Sinan Bytyqi, will miss the competition through injury.

Player to watch
Argentinian Adrian Cubas is a tough-tackling central midfielder who can also contribute going forward. The teenager was not involved in this year's South American Youth Championship, but has turned heads since embracing a playmaking role, impressing with his stylish and effective one- and two-touch passing. He is highly rated by his club, Boca Juniors, where he has broken into the first team and played in the Copa Libertadores.

The stat
11 - The number of members of Panama's squad who went to the last FIFA U-17 World Cup. Only New Zealand, with 12, have brought along a larger contingent from UAE 2013.

The quote
"I think we go into the event in great shape. The bar has been set very high after winning the South American Youth Championship, but the lads are raring to go. Here's hoping they finish the job we've started. I've put together a group of lads who play really good stuff." Argentina coach Humberto Grondona

Match schedule
Group A
New Zealand-Ukraine (North Harbour Stadium, Auckland, 13:00)
USA-Myanmar (Northland Events Centre, Whangarei, 16:00)

Group B
Argentina-Panama (Wellington Regional Stadium, Wellington, 16:00
Ghana-Austria (Wellington Regional Stadium, Wellington, 19:00) [/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Nobody: 11:05am On May 29, 2015
As the Flying Eagles bid to start their quest for world domination this weekend argues that the players made be small but the level of information,stamina and execution ability exceeds those of the class of 2005 suggesting the team is first among equals.

Ugbade was quick to point out the strong qualities of the Siasia team including their bulky physique and technical abilities.

But he told www.footballlive.ng that the qualities of the present team will aid in delivering the trophy for them in New Zealand.

Ugbade says the current U20 F/Eagles edge their predecessors on technical ability.
” The difference between the Siasia team and this one isn’t much but one prominent distinction is we have a kinder team. As time passes, the nature of Biology has taken its toll, our players have become smaller and much more younger not stoutly as in the past.

” Even Cameroon have experienced the same genetic issues,” he said

” But the edge we have over other Under 20 team from the past like the Chief Coach said, is the information we play upon, we are technically astute, tactically and Psychologically we are strong, honestly speaking we’re strong, we are strong.”

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by rabzy: 11:07am On May 29, 2015
Leon2036:
One thing some guys don't understand is this, coaching a national team, is a lot more dificult than coaching an age grade side, I'm not saying this to justify keshi, buh u got to realise that coaching a a senior national team full of proffesional, we will all clamour for those who command 1st team shirt in Their respective teams. Knowing fully well that they will likely be released late, manu is a good coach no doubt but he will struggle with the super eagles job beacus he would not have enough time to make the players play as he wants them to, immagine, the reason. Behind the success of most national side, is either dey have a good team in Their league which dey can draw players from or majority of Their players plays for big teams in Europe where they have two or more of Their national team mate playing together. Del basque is a very good coach but we all know the man and team behind Spain 2010 success (Pep and barca) low is also a good coach, buh would u deny that Pep and bayern had no influence in germany's world cup wining team? Like I said I'm not saying this to defend keshi buh Nigeria we still have. A long way to go!!

Our national team has had mediocre players for many years. How can our senior team players not be able to control the ball once. They often need need to 3 touches before the ball is controlled. Some would control and the ball would be 3 to 5 yards away from them. After the eagles of 90s and early 2000, there was hardly any team again just a few good players. Our league does not bring out the best in people neither does it recruit the best. These boys were snapped before they could be thrown into that mincer or possibly not even noticed at all.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Nobody: 11:22am On May 29, 2015
Flying Eagles vs FC Nurnberg under 23. in 2013.

got this from youtube uploaded by one Emeka Ezeala..

This is not the present flying eagles team in new zealand!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfHbfI_AFuY
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by AIG07: 11:45am On May 29, 2015
rabzy:

Our national team has had mediocre players for many years. How can our senior team players not be able to control the ball once. They often need need to 3 touches before the ball is controlled. Some would control and the ball would be 3 to 5 yards away from them. After the eagles of 90s and early 2000, there was hardly any team again just a few good players. Our league does not bring out the best in people neither does it recruit the best. These boys were snapped before they could be thrown into that mincer or possibly not even noticed at all.
I can't stop laughing... Even the foreign pros playing in lesser leagues ain't excluded. Have always wish one thing though it seems impossible-that a two leg friendly match between d so called super eagles(Keshi's Men) n d SUPER FLYING EAGLES(Manu's boys) be organised to be played in Akwa. So that d true men will be separated from d boys cos here in africa we believe that age determines football maturity... Which made keshi concludes that Nacho was to young to play at d world cup when d Likes of Pele, kaka, messi etc were still teens when de first represented their respective nations @ d highest level of football(WORLDCUP). I know some folks will say experience is needed in d NT unlike d grade teams. Yes, this is true buh are experiences gain on benches? NO.
No wonder d likes of Brazil n England will keep turning us down for any friendly matches knowing fully well that we 'll be parading the same sets of this 'Mediocre' players.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Nobody: 11:48am On May 29, 2015
Daninya11:
As the Flying Eagles bid to start their quest for world domination this weekend argues that the players made be small but the level of information,stamina and execution ability exceeds those of the class of 2005 suggesting the team is first among equals.

Ugbade was quick to point out the strong qualities of the Siasia team including their bulky physique and technical abilities.

But he told www.footballlive.ng that the qualities of the present team will aid in delivering the trophy for them in New Zealand.

Ugbade says the current U20 F/Eagles edge their predecessors on technical ability.
” The difference between the Siasia team and this one isn’t much but one prominent distinction is we have a kinder team. As time passes, the nature of Biology has taken its toll, our players have become smaller and much more younger not stoutly as in the past.

” Even Cameroon have experienced the same genetic issues,” he said

” But the edge we have over other Under 20 team from the past like the Chief Coach said, is the information we play upon, we are technically astute, tactically and Psychologically we are strong, honestly speaking we’re strong, we are strong.”

Ugbade should concentrate on football matters and not venture into genetics and biology. 2005-2015 is not enough time for any sort of variation to have occurred in the genetic pool of Nigerian players as regards the physiques of the players. The fact that they concentrated on smaller players with the desired qualities that they are looking for does not mean that there are not many 'under 20' players out there with the physiques of the 2005 set. it is just a matter of preference.

Managers like Siaisa, Keshi or Amodu seem to prefer tall guys with big thighs and muscular legs. There are still many of them around. The ones in camp can still develop like some of their predecessors. Give the likes of Awoniyi, muazam, ndidi and even Chidera Eze time and see them balloon into the heights and physiques of Mikel, Kaita and even Taye Taiwo.

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by enomakos(m): 11:54am On May 29, 2015
LeeCodeman:

He's a Barca fan...hmmm...hopefully he gets to play for us in the not-to-distance future.
he will
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by enomakos(m): 12:07pm On May 29, 2015
joseph1013:
[b][size=14pt]Udinese to track Idowu in New Zealand[/size]

Allnigeriasoccer.com understands that Udinese are leading the race for Nigeria Under-20 international Akinjide Idowu.

A source informed allnigeriasoccer.com that the central midfielder’s intermediary, Babawo Mohammed, is presently in Italy negotiating with the higher-ups at The Bianconeri .

However, talks have not led to the immediate offer of a contract to the Nigeria Youth Soccer Academy, Calabar starlet.

Udinese posted scouts to run the rule over Akinjide Idowu at the African Youth Championship (AYC) and they will further observe him at close quarters in New Zealand during the Under-20s just to confirm that his imperious display in Senegal was not a flash in the pan.

The Flying Eagles number 4 is also a target for Scottish Premier League champions Glasgow Celtic.

Agent Babawo Mohammed will depart Friuli-Venezia Giulia for New Plymouth (New Zealand) on Thursday, with a view to motivating his client during the FIFA Under-20 World Cup.
[/b]
he shall join celtic
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Leon2036(m): 12:31pm On May 29, 2015
Yeah I see your observation, buh I'm not talking about the boys instead I'm talking about the coach, for every national team to succeed sombody has. Be working on the players behind and the players need to play together for long before any tournament,can u call. Any team where there are two. Nigerians. Playing together and playing regularly?? What I'm trying to say in essence is this, coach SE is always going to be dificult, cos u have a lot to do in just a short time
rabzy:

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 12:46pm On May 29, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Qatar's 1981 hero recalls U-20 fairy tale[/size]

They may be playing in the FIFA U-20 World Cup for just the third time, but no-one in Qatar will forget their first brush with this tournament. In 1981, the then debutants shocked the football world by marching all the way to the final, ousting much-fancied Brazil and England sides en route.

Germany proved too strong in the final, but that Qatari team - and top scorer Badr Bilal in particular - retain only the fondest of memories of their Australian adventure. Bilal struck three goals during the team's run to the final, the best of which was a spectacular bicycle kick against England in the last four, and believes that the current Qatari team will benefit massively from their U-20 education.

“This type of tournament is the highest level in football and they need this experience,” said Bilal. “We have very good players in this team, they have good football minds, and when they have a difficult situation they know how to solve it. I hope and am sure that they will have good results and qualify for the next round.”

Reflecting on his own remarkable experience of FIFA’s flagship youth tournament 34 years ago, Bilal had no hesitation in declaring it as the highlight of his career. “The best moment in my football life was my bicycle kick and the moment we beat England and knew we were in the final," he said. "At that time Poland were the best team in Europe and we beat them in the group stages, then we beat Brazil - the home nation of football - in the quarter-finals, and England, which was a massive achievement. Now we have trust in this team to do well too.”

The best moment in my football life was my bicycle kick and the moment we beat England and knew we were in the final.

Badr Bilal

Bilal also believes that Qatar's class of 2015 will form the basis of the team that plays in the senior FIFA World Cup™ as hosts in seven years' time. He said: “I believe in the coach Felix Sanchez, he is a very good coach and I hope that he has luck in this tournament. When you have luck, you can reach the final. But there is no pressure on the team. My advice to them all is to enjoy playing because if you do that then you can achieve big things. They will gain great experience at this tournament and if they continue in the right way they will be a part of the team in 2022.”

Sanchez, Qatar's Spanish coach - who previously worked in Barcelona's La Masia youth academy - also sees the 2022 World Cup as the key target for his players. “These boys will be at a great football age in 2022, by which time they will be 25, 26, and there is a huge desire among all those who work with the team for them to be competing in their home World Cup. It is a long journey, but it will be enriching for them to experience this U-20 tournament, which is the closest you can get to the World Cup itself.

“There are three great teams in our group in the form of Colombia, Portugal and Senegal, three top teams from strong continents, so it will be a challenge for us. But our team has been together for a long time, first for the Gulf competition, then in winning the Asian title, and now at the World Cup. There is always pressure but we enter this competition as the Asian champions."

They also arrive in New Zealand knowing only too well that, in football - as Australia 1981 spectacularly illustrated - anything is possible. [/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by terzurum5(m): 1:17pm On May 29, 2015
Ugbade Says They Are In New Zealand To ‘Compete Highly’.
Flying Eagles assistant coach Nduka Ugbade says they are not in New Zealand just to participate at the FIFA U20 World Cup, but to “compete highly”.
The former Nigeria international, alongside head coach, Manu Garba will lead the Nigeria U20 men’s football team to the championship in Oceania, and even though they are already one of the bookmakers’ favourites to go all the way, Ugbade has thought it wise to inform the world they will be seriously competing for the trophy.
“We’re not in New Zealand just to participate,” he told SL10.ng, “For participation, that will be that we are just here to be here.
“But we shall be competing highly at this tournament. We have played some friendly matches during the course of our preparations and they have opened our boys to another level of exposure.
“Added to the information we have fed them and them now understanding the science that governs the game, I can tell you we are now a better team.
“We didn’t have some of our key guys in Senegal (Africa Youth Championship), but they are here with us now and playing in Europe has also broadened their horizon and understanding of the science of the game.
“Trust me, we are better now,” he added.
www.sl10.ng/news/articles/categories/nigeria-1/flying-eagles-assistant-coach-nduku-ugbade-says-they-are-in-new-zealand-to-compete-highly/210847

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by terzurum5(m): 1:19pm On May 29, 2015
I came across this piece of comment in Sl10, has any one of you confirmed it?
Mbah00 3 May 29, 2015 12:36 PM
by Samm Audu Friday May 29, 2015. 12:21 Isaac Success and Taiwo Awoniyi look most likely to lead the Flying Eagles charge for goals against Brazil in an opening U20 World Cup group game in New Zealand on Monday. Coach Manu Garba gave a hint of what his starting XI will look like on Monday during Thursday afternoon’s training at the Manukohiri Park on the outskirts of New Plymouth. Both Success and Awoniyi scored three goals between them, while Manchester City ace Kelechi Iheanacho weighed in with a hat-trick playing behind the two strikers and enjoying a free role. The new formation means Enyimba midfielder Kingsley Sokari, who has been part of the starting midfield since the training camp in Germany, may now drop to the bench. Musa Yahaya also played on the left side of midfield, but he may well be replaced by on-form Godwin Saviour. The only notable change in the back four is Zaharadeen Bello preferred in the heart of the defence ahead of the more athletic Izu Omego. Bello is poised to partner Belgium-based Wilfred Ndidi in the middle of the defence. The Flying Eagles first team at Thursday training Joshua Enaholo – Musa Mohammed, Mustapha Abdullahi, Wilfred Ndidi, Zaharadeen Bello – Ifeanyi Ifeanyi, Ifeanyi Matthew, Kelechi Iheanacho, Musa Yahaya – Taiwo Awoniyi, Isaac Success.
www.sl10.ng/news/articles/categories/nigeria-1/flying-eagles-assistant-coach-nduku-ugbade-says-they-are-in-new-zealand-to-compete-highly/210847

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) ... (232) (Reply)

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 228
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.