Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:23 AM

Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) - Sports (118) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) (480210 Views)

Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / FIFA U-20 World Cup New Zealand 2015 Full Time Table And Fixtures / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) ... (232) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by AIG07: 6:45pm On May 28, 2015
joseph1013:
[b][size=14pt]Nigerians to Watch Flying Eagles, Falcons Live[/size]

Nigerian football fans will have the luxury of watching live and delayed matches of FIFA U-20 World Cup involving the Flying Eagles and the Super Falcons at the FIFA Women's World Cup on television.

The Flying Eagles will begin their quest on May 30 against Brazil, while the Falcons will tackle Sweden on June 8 Canada 2015.
The General Manager NTA Enterprise, Maxwell Loko, said at a media parley yesterday, that all the matches would be on NTA terrestrial channels and Star Time.

According to Loko, the network and all Broadcasting Organizations of Nigeria (BON) platforms will not only relay the games live, but will be played back later in the day to enable more Nigerians view the matches.

Nigeria for instance is11 hours behind New Zealand implying that Nigerians will be at bed when the Flying Eagles play their first match.
"All the matches will be played back in full between 5-7 pm on the platforms so that many people can watch regardless of the outcome, "Loko said.

He said BON would ensure that the matches are shown on television in compliance with non exclusivity clause. Each member station will in addition have advertising window to recoup their investment.
[/b]
good for all sport loving Nigerians
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:51pm On May 28, 2015
TheSuperNerd:

But 2 penalty goals made messi the top scorer at holland...
Anyway, it's ok... Even caf didnt document d stats u lukin for.

That is the problem. I remember during the CAF Nations Cup we won under Coach Keshi. Pitropa received the crown as the MVP of the competition and Ruud Gullit disagreed with the award.

He looked down into a paper and read the stats Mikel achieved. He pointed out that Mikel's pass accuracy and pass completion rate was unbelievable and Mikel deserved that award.

I browsed online for long looking for use stats but I could not find it. That does not mean the committee watching out for the best players do not have it.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by tbaba1234: 6:52pm On May 28, 2015
Can Manu and Ugbade go back to under 17 after this? We seriously need them to bring out the talents.. If we can have Manu at under 17 for 5 years, We would unearth many incredible talents.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by tbaba1234: 6:53pm On May 28, 2015
Plus I don't think Amuneke is the right man at under 17
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:56pm On May 28, 2015
Definitely, Coach Manu Garba was unsung. If not, after Coach Yemi Tella passed, Coach Garbawas the best person to continue with the U17 winning team to the U20 World Cup. Unfortunately, Coach Siasia took over the team and scattered them.

joseph1013:
[size=14pt]Daniel: Manu Was Brain Behind Tella's Success[/size]

A member of the victorious Nigeria U17 team of 2007 Daniel Joshua says coach of the Flying Eagles Manu Garba was the unsung hero of their success.

Manu was assistant to the late Yemi Tella alongside Ben Iroha, but according to Joshua he was the late coach’s most trusted hand and in fact did most of the job.

"Most people forget too soon that Coach Tella was away all through preparations for the World cup as he stayed behind in Korea for treatment after we participated in an invitational tournament," he told SL10.ng.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by EagleScribes: 6:58pm On May 28, 2015
tbaba1234:
Can Manu and Ugbade go back to under 17 after this? We seriously need them to bring out the talents.. If we can have Manu at under 17 for 5 years, We would unearth many incredible talents.

I don't think so. We presently have a clueless super eagles with a clueless coach and the flying eagles with the coach is the future super eagles and coach.
Moreso, there's need for continuity. Since Manu Garba started this team and they are so bonded together, let us see them acheive their potentials together.

Lastly, we need a coach as principled, impartial and fatherly as Manu Garba. We don't have any coach as close to that
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by P0intBlank(m): 7:00pm On May 28, 2015
tbaba1234:

I remind you of a kid, Auturo Lupoli, Lupoli was scoring for fun at the academy level, could not replicate that at senior level. Even Carlos Vela.... Look at their potential as kids and the eventual level they played at... They were supposed to be considered top stars...

Shining for an academy is completely different from when you meet the senior men...

For now, Success is playing at a far higher level than Iheanacho.

It is difficult to say who d better player is (If it's potential, then it's Nacho). Let Time be the judge of that
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:02pm On May 28, 2015
tbaba1234:
Plus I don't think Amuneke is the right man at under 17

We need to give Coach Amuneke time, remember he did not spend long time with the boys like Manu Garba did before the African U17 championship. He qualified for the World Cup. Let us give him time, he might improve.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by P0intBlank(m): 7:04pm On May 28, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

Penalty does not count for Mikel. We are talking scoring a goal in open play. Like Seydou Keita's free kick that beat Carini of Uruguay.

As I said, bring pass completed and completed dribbles. Let us see. Until you bring that, you can not judge. If Yeboah has any of these high and with a brace in the third place, he takes it.

A goal from a freekick is not a goal from open play.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by EagleScribes: 7:04pm On May 28, 2015
Moses Simon

Flying Eagles forward makes Belgium team of the year

The impressive season of Flying Eagles and Gent
forward Moses Simon has been rewarded as he was included in a team of the year in Belgium.
The team of the year by Belgian foremost daily,
dh.be, included the Nigeria international who scored seven goals in 17 games for Gent.

Moses Simon beat off competition from his
compatriot Imoh Ezekiel to get into the team.
Simon just joined up with the Flying Eagles squad for the upcoming FIFA U-20 World Cup in New Zealand.

pulse.ng/sports/football/moses-simon-flying-eagles-forward-makes-belgium-team-of-the-year-id3806371.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by AIG07: 7:06pm On May 28, 2015
TheSuperNerd:
Now my turn too
YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ! ! ! ! ! !
Finally!!! My first time of being the first to comment on a new page(as seen above)...
Hahahahahahaha...
GO GO GO 'SUPER' FLYING EAGLES! ! ! ! ! ! !
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by tbaba1234: 7:09pm On May 28, 2015
EagleScribes:

I don't think so. We presently have a clueless super eagles with a clueless coach and the flying eagles with the coach is the future super eagles and coach.
Moreso, there's need for continuity. Since Manu Garba started this team and they are so bonded together, let us see them acheive their potentials together.

Lastly, we need a coach as principled, impartial and fatherly as Manu Garba. We don't have any coach as close to that

Manu is a great scout.. He can spot talent, not every coach is good at this. At under 17 level that is needed. After this tournament, these boys will scatter.. Siasia will mix them with his boys, Keshi might take one or two..
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by FavourCintosis(m): 7:11pm On May 28, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

We need to give Coach Amuneke time, remember he did not spend long time with the boys like Manu Garba did before the African U17 championship. He qualified for the World Cup. Let us give him time, he might improve.
i agree wit tbaba on this.I swear whenever I look at dat coach face all i c is bribe(God 4giv me 4 that)..But i pray he proves me wrong.That his whole u17 team should b scraped except some few players like nwakali or else dat team will disgrace us

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:20pm On May 28, 2015
P0intBlank:

A goal from a freekick is not a goal in open play.

[b]Men let me tell you about about that goal. The Seydou Keita's free kick goal was from a long range. The Goal keeper of Uruguay Goal Keeper Carini was the best young goal keeper in the World. He won it in the 1997 U20 competition and in 1999.

Before the free kick, Nigerians hoped Pius Ikedia will take the best player award. His amount of completed dribbles was amazing and he had the goal that drew us level with Ireland (Robbie Keane and Damien Duff played in that game).

The news was Keita was the best player, note they knocked us out 3-1. But, Keita did not have a goal.

A penalty will not clinch it. When that free kick came, the usual Seydou Keita would have crossed from that distance but he took a stunning curling shot and he beat Carini.

As soon as it entered, many Nigerians felt we lost for a second time because Ikedia did well.

So Keita's passes did most of the work and that goal crowned it.

I hope you are not equating a long range Free Kick to a penalty.
[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by EagleScribes: 7:28pm On May 28, 2015
tbaba1234:

Manu is a great scout.. He can spot talent, not every coach is good at this. At under 17 level that is needed. After this tournament, these boys will scatter.. Siasia will mix them with his boys, Keshi might take one or two..

I will rather say Manu is a more hardworking coach who works so hard to bring the best from his wards. Which other coach can do that?

Manu Garba has a brand of football and even alternative plans too. Which other Nigerian coach can do that?

Apart from being a good scout, which I feel is due to his work ideals, he's far better than others in every other aspect

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:37pm On May 28, 2015
tbaba1234:

I won't be happy with Coach Siasia if he scatters this team. This team should be the foundation of the Olympic squad. Just as how Coach Garba did with the Flying Eagles. Then only replace a player by a better player. I doubt our U23 have better players to match this boys. I only expect to see few drop. If Coach Siasia scatters this team, then he does not deserve to Coach the Super Eagles. Coach Garba should take over after Coach Keshi's contract expires.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by terzurum5(m): 7:39pm On May 28, 2015
Fifa scandal: The Woman Who Took on Football Corruption.
US probe into Fifa started after the 2022 football event went to Qatar.In November 2010, former President Bill Clinton and then-Attorney-General Eric Holder travelled to Zurich to lobby football's world governing body in support of the American bid to host the 2022 World Cup.
The sport's popularity was rising in the United States, and a successful bid would bring the world's most-watched sporting event back for the first time in nearly three decades.
The Americans were not successful. Instead, Qatar - a small, wealthy emirate on the Gulf - became the first Arab country to be awarded the event. And almost immediately the decision to place a summer tournament in a country where daytime temperatures in those months often exceed 48C drew fierce criticism - and deep suspicion.
Even before Clinton and Holder had left Switzerland, there "was a lot of talk that the decision had been bought", said a person with knowledge of the private conversations among US officials in Switzerland.
Concern in 2010 about deep corruption in Fifa helped galvanise a growing investigation into the international organisation and the way the World Cup is awarded. It was launched in the US attorney's office in Brooklyn, New York, where Loretta Lynch, who this year became Holder's successor, was starting her second term as US Attorney-General.
"There's a lot of things that go into beginning an investigation," Lynch told the Washington Post, when asked about what US officials heard in Zurich.
"There had been allegations of corruption within Fifa for some time."
Lynch oversaw the investigation into Fifa for nearly five years. Investigators finalised their plans to make arrests in Switzerland in the last couple of weeks, as Lynch was beginning her tenure as the new US Attorney-General.
It was her decision to give the final go-ahead for the prosecutions and to request that
Swiss police begin rounding up some of the most important men in international football.
The decision fits with a career pattern of bringing down the hammer on powerful interests who have grown corrupt in their positions.
She announced a stunning 47-count indictment charging Fifa officials with involvement in bribery and kickbacks "year after year, tournament after tournament".
While the Justice Department's case focuses on the decision to hold the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, the probe continues into the awarding of the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.
"The Swiss authorities are continuing an investigation of the awarding of other World Cup venues," Lynch said. "We look forward to seeing the information that their investigation ultimately reveals."
What made the complex Fifa investigation so difficult, Lynch said, was that the alleged corruption went back decades and required the collection of evidence overseas and "the analysis of literally reams and reams of records".
"Our investigation revealed that at least from the early 1990s, the defendants in question began turning their positions with the soccer organisations into their own personal piggybank," Lynch said.
"It's often very difficult to obtain contemporaneous records for things that go back that far ... You also have to make sure that memories are accurate."
With only one month on the job as the nation's top law enforcement official, Lynch has made several high-profile domestic announcements, including the investigation into police misconduct in Baltimore and a settlement this week with the city of Cleveland over policing practices. But the unsealing of the US indictments and the high-profile round-up of Fifa officials in Zurich thrust Lynch - who is known to shun the limelight - squarely on to the international stage.
Read more......
mobile.nzherald.co.nz/football-soccer/news/article.php?c_id=86&objectid=11456397
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Caspian22(m): 7:45pm On May 28, 2015
Amuneke was manu garba's assistant at U-17 in 2013. I believe he might have made some mistakes at the CAF U-17 and remember it was his first coaching task. I'm sure that manu garba must have adviced him.

After the CAF U-17 he apologised and did more extensive scouting, now his team is taraining twice daily at FIFA goal project. They have a pre-tournament by june and we will be facing the likes of brazil U17. Maybe after that tourney we can rate them, but beleive amuneke must have improved.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by terzurum5(m): 7:46pm On May 28, 2015
Fifa Crisis Deepens as Tournament Kicks Off
The implications of the Fifa scandal deepened yesterday ahead of the opening of the Under-20 World Cup in Auckland tomorrow.
Major Fifa sponsors Visa and Hyundai threatened to withdraw their backing of world football's governing body and demanded it clean up its act, while Fifa president Sepp Blatter pulled out of a scheduled appearance at a medical conference. This came as South Africa's successful bid to host the 2010 World Cup came under scrutiny as part of an investigation into corruption among high-ranking football officials.
But Fifa staff in New Zealand maintain the tournament will not be affected by the scandal.
Yesterday football federation members in New Zealand declared a press conference closed after journalists kept asking questions relating to the scandal which has seen the indictment of 14 men, including nine Fifa officials, for corruption.
Local organising committee chief executive David Beeche insisted the U-20 tournament, which begins tomorrow with a match between New Zealand and Ukraine in Albany, will not be affected by the scandal.
In Auckland, Fifa spokeswoman Monika Huser stonewalled media queries about the indictment of 14 people for corruption in the US, which included the detainment of seven Fifa officials in Zurich on Wednesday, saying: "We don't want to talk about it. We can't actually talk about the recent events happening in Zurich."
One of those detained was Jeffrey Webb, 50, the Fifa vice-president and chairman of the U-20 World Cup tournament's organising committee, who was in New Zealand for the football tournament's draw in February and met with Sport and Recreation Minister Jonathan Coleman.
After continued questions, Ms Huser and Fifa head of the Olympics, Club World Cup and U-20 World Cup Marion Mayer-Vorfelder and Fifa Project Lead U-20 World Cup Rhiannon.
Martin left local organising committee chief executive David Beeche to conduct interviews.
New Zealand Football chief executive Andy Martin, who was in Zurich for the annual Fifa congress, said the corruption scandal was very serious.
Michael Glading, who led the winning bid to host the U-20 tournament, said the process in which New Zealand vied with Turkey, Peru and Wales was "100 per cent straight".
It emerged yesterday that former Fifa executive committee member Chuck Blazer, who pleaded guilty 18 months ago to charges of corruption and is understood to have provided information to the Department of Justice on which the charges are based, allegedly received US$750,000 ($1.036 million) from a US$10 million bribe to vote for South Africa to become the 2010 World Cup host.
- AP and staff reporters
Q&A
Why is the FBI investigating Fifa?
The FBI was revealed to be investigating Fifa shortly after Qatar was controversially awarded the 2022 World Cup at the expense of the United States.
The probe focused mainly on allegations of wrongdoing on US soil, particularly by members of the North and Central American football confederation, Concacaf. It emerged last year that its American former general secretary and ex-Fifa executive committee member, Chuck Blazer, had turned supergrass after being threatened with serious jail time for fraud and tax evasion. He helped to provide evidence against his president, Jack Warner, whose two sons also agreed to co-operate with the FBI, and have pleaded guilty to charges.

Read more......
mobile.nzherald.co.nz/football-soccer/news/article.php?c_id=86&objectid=11456377
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by linked: 7:54pm On May 28, 2015
TheGoodJoe:
Definitely, Coach Manu Garba was unsung. If not, after Coach Yemi Tella passed, Coach Garbawas the best person to continue with the U17 winning team to the U20 World Cup. Unfortunately, Coach Siasia took over the team and scattered them.

It wasnt siasia's doing... The team was handled by ladan bosso... That team was an abysmal failure... They came out second place @ the AYC though in my opinion they were the least impressive team out of the four semi-finalist... Siasia took over just before the world cup... and you will agree if you watched both tournaments that their performance at the WYC was way better than at the AYC...
That team lacked the time to gel.... I kinda had a feeling that if they had won germany in the knockout they would have gone far... Cos they played good football against germany and only lost due to some indiscipline..

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Segadem(m): 8:00pm On May 28, 2015
P0intBlank:

Messi gets the praise and rightly so. Messi is a creator and finisher all in one. Messi has more assists than Xavi and Iniesta put together. If u doubt it check d stats. Messi has outscored every world class striker Barcelona has bought from Eto to Suarez. Without Messi, Barcelona would be another Arsenal -playing beautiful football and winning nothing. Pass completion stat is useless if it's doesn't result into chance creation. (key passes and assists). Yaw Yeboah played well but didn't do enough to win MVP.
I agreed with u ,just remove messi's goals and messi assist from barca team u will see where barca belong
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by P0intBlank(m): 8:05pm On May 28, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

Saying pass completion is useless tells a lot. You are simply saying the likes of Pirlo, Xavi, Xabi Alonso, Schweinsteiger, Ballack, Busquets, Toni Kroos, Khedira, Thiago Alcantara are useless. Are they or you are just talking. These men do more in pass completion than assists or goals. Most of these names are highly respected footballer.

Guardiola said if he was to return as a footballer, he would return like Busquets.

Guardiola u made reference to said this "I loathe all that passing for the sake of it, all that tiki-taka. It's so much rubbish and has no purpose. You have to pass the ball with a clear intention, with the aim of making it into the opposition's goal. It's not about passing for the sake of it."

www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/players/lionel-messi/11162958/Pep-Guardiola-I-hate-tiki-taka-its-rubbish-and-completely-pointless.html

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by terzurum5(m): 8:42pm On May 28, 2015
tbaba1234:

That is why some forumites have nickname him 'Manuela Garbadiola' and I call him Prof. of 'Total Football' lol.

3 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by terzurum5(m): 9:09pm On May 28, 2015
Fifa U-20 World Cup: First-up Result Important.
Junior All Whites need at least a draw when they meet Ukraine in Albany tomorrow.
With the Under-20 World Cup kicking off at Albany tomorrow, are the hosts primed for a crowd-pleasing run deep into the tournament or will their involvement be curtailed early in the event? TheHeraldassesses the likelihood of the Junior All Whites progressing from pool play.
Match one: Ukraine, North Harbour Stadium, May 30, 1pm
It is fair to say the World Cup opener is the key to New Zealand's campaign. With the United States looking strong and Myanmar appearing vulnerable, the fate of Darren Bazeley's side could rest on getting a result from their first game. It won't be easy, not against a team that qualified from the European Under-19 Championships, an event so competitive that traditional heavyweights Spain, France and Italy all failed to punch a ticket to NZ.
While Ukraine were fortunate to avoid those football powerhouses in qualifying, they did progress at the expense of England, knocking out a team featuring players who have made first-team appearances for Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool.
Ukraine's own squad is entirely drawn from the nation's top division - with heavyweights Dynamo Kiev and Shakhtar Donetsk combining to provide 10 of the 21-man group - but a lack of foreign-based players hardly means they can be taken lightly.
"The European qualifiers are always really strong," said New Zealand defender Jesse Edge. "[Ukraine] are good at set pieces so that is a big focus for us. But also we need to stick to our style of play and not focus too much on them."
Ukraine conceded three goals in six qualification games and a combination of strength and organisation will be tough to break down but, based on what is to follow, New Zealand really require at least a draw.
Match two: United States, North Harbour Stadium, June 2, 7pm
The United States are the favourites to top group A, and deservedly so. Customarily well-funded at youth level, the US boast the group's best squad and will have designs on winning all three matches.
Possessing a handful of players scattered around Europe's top leagues, the undisputed jewel in the crown is Gedion Zelalem, with the Arsenal midfielder representing previously representing Germany at youth level before being anointed the next great hope of American soccer.
Depending on the outcome of the opener against Ukraine, New Zealand's focus against the US could be about limiting the damage, considering the potential impact of goal difference on the final standings.
Match three: Myanmar, Wellington Regional Stadium, June 5, 7pm
That factor could well play a part in New Zealand's final group game against a side shaping as one of the tournament's strugglers.
If the hosts head into the Myanmar match without a win, a glut of goals will be needed to advance to the second stage as one of the top-ranked third-placed sides.
Attempting to enter through that back door with only three points is a serious risk.
Four points, however, should be enough, hence the importance of the opener against Ukraine.
Earn a draw from that encounter and New Zealand may be safe in the knowledge that victory over Myanmar will be enough to seal safe passage.
mobile.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.php?c_id=4&objectid=11456330

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:18pm On May 28, 2015
P0intBlank:

Guardiola u made reference to said this "I loathe all that passing for the sake of it, all that tiki-taka. It's so much rubbish and has no purpose. You have to pass the ball with a clear intention, with the aim of making it into the opposition's goal. It's not about passing for the sake of it."

www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/players/lionel-messi/11162958/Pep-Guardiola-I-hate-tiki-taka-its-rubbish-and-completely-pointless.html

POintBlank is on POINT...
So U saw that interview huh? I saw dis on goal.com also. Nice... *smiles*

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:24pm On May 28, 2015
P0intBlank:

Guardiola u made reference to said angry this "I loathe all that passing for the sake of it, all that tiki-taka. It's so much rubbish and has no purpose. You have to pass the ball with a clear intentionintention, with the aim of making it into the opposition's goal. It's not about passing for the sake of it."

Are you saying Busquets, Xavi, Xabi Alonso are passing for the sake of it? Because, I do not see the relation. What of Pirlo, Ballack, Zidane? Effenberg, Paul Schools? These guys are respected names because they are great pass masters. Both short and long.

What of our present Flying Eagles team? They are built on the passing philosophy. The best passer of the team is important. That is why the coach talked about cohesiveness of the team. What about Roman Riquelme. I do not get your point.

No top pass master passes for the fun of it. They are integral to the team's success. AC Milan were champions the season before the departure of Pirlo. Pirlo moved to Juventus and they won the league three times consecutively. Do you think Pirlo's passing did not help the team?
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by terzurum5(m): 9:29pm On May 28, 2015
Fifa U-20 World Cup: Nigeria, Brazil are top picks, but watch the mystery team.
Counting down to the Fifa Under-20 World Cup which begins tomorrow, theHeraldlooks at how each group stacks up. Michael Burgess weighs up Group E
Teams
Nigeria
Nigeria will be making their 11th appearance at this tournament and have serious pedigree - beaten finalists in 1989 and 2005 and third in 1985. The Flying Eagles, who have failed to reach the knockout stages on only two occasions, qualified for this tournament as African champions.
Brazil
Brazil have featured in this tournament on all but two occasions since the first Youth World Cup in 1977. They have lifted the trophy on five occasions, one behind great rivals Argentina. Their qualifying campaign was solid but unspectacular, as they struggled to score goals and grab the fourth and final qualifying spot.
North Korea Always a bit of a mystery, North Korea will be competing in a Fifa Under-20 World Cup for the third time, after appearances in 2007 and 2011. They reached the final of the Asian qualifying tournament - beating Japan on the way - and will be strong defensively, super fit and well organised.
Hungary
Hungary are somewhat fortunate to be in New Zealand - they lost two of their three qualifying matches and only scraped in - but shouldn't be underestimated. They have a promising roster, with several players at top European clubs, and reached the semifinals in their last appearance at this level (2009).
Favourites
Brazil and Nigeria. The yellow shirts will be keenly watched, as they bring their brand of "Samba soccer" to New Zealand's shores. The team adopted more of a defensive approach during their qualifying games, but still have plenty of flair. They should comfortably get out of a tricky group. Nigeria arrive in New Zealand as African champions, and will be expected to progress well into the later stages of the tournament.
Star man Brazilian playmaker Andreas Pereira is one to watch. Based at Manchester United since the age of 15, he was named their under-21 player of the year last season and scored several vital goals for the youth team before making his Premier League debut in March.
Stat
Brazil last lifted the Under-20 World Cup in 2011, when three goals from Oscar (now a star at Chelsea) lifted them to a 3-2 over Portugal.
Did you know?
Nigeria have won the Under-17 World Cup more than any other country (four times), but have yet to repeat the success at the next level.
Prediction
Nigeria and Brazil should take the top two places (in that order) and the clash between North Korea and Hungary will likely decide third spot.
mobile.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.php?c_id=4&objectid=11456333
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:38pm On May 28, 2015
TheSuperNerd:

POintBlank is on POINT...
So U saw that interview huh? I saw dis on goal.com also. Nice... *smiles*

Please, can you tell me the logic behind the article. Is he saying pass masters are not importani a team. Is he saying Ever Banega was not instrumental in the success of Sevilla in the last Europa league. Please answer.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by P0intBlank(m): 9:40pm On May 28, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

Are you saying Busquets, Xavi, Xabi Alonso are passing for the sake of it? Because, I do not see the relation. What of Pirlo, Ballack, Zidane? Effenberg, Paul Schools? These guys are respected names because they are great pass masters. Both short and long.

What of our present Flying Eagles team? They are built on the passing philosophy. The best passer of the team is important. That is why the coach talked about cohesiveness of the team. What about Roman Riquelme. I do not get your point.

No top pass master passes for the fun of it. They are integral to the team's success. AC Milan were champions the season before the departure of Pirlo. Pirlo moved to Juventus and they won the league three times consecutively. Do you think Pirlo's passing did not help the team?

Please read my earlier post properly I did not say pass completion is useless. I said pass completion is useless if....Telling me a player did well because he's pass completion is high only makes sense if it had an end product. Passing is not an end in itself, it is a means to an end. The players u mentioned earned a name for themselves because their passes had end products(not just backwards or sideways passing but defense splitting passes that put strikers through on goal)
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:42pm On May 28, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

Sir GoodJoe... *smiles* I truly understand u ok. What I like about u Sir is ur indepth analysis backed up with facts... But Guardiola, the master architect of tikitaka/modern total football philosophy, made a good point. Passes that truly count are result-oriented and game-changing passes... Passes that dictate a game's tempo. But... If u still got a problem with what POintBlank is 'pOinting' out... Then I think u shud take it up with Pep Guardiola... He made that statement... Not POintBlank... *smiles*

P.S: Pirlo, Riquelme, Ballack, Xavi, Iniesta, Zidane, Busquets, Scholes, Xabi Alonso etc are game changers with their passes and oftentimes contribute assists... Now that's result-oriented. Pass masters are truly important... 'result-oriented' pass masters .

Yaw Yeboah didnt hv such influence at the caf u-20 Ayc and didnt even contribute one assist. So pls Sir, let's drop it...

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by linked: 9:56pm On May 28, 2015
safarigirl:
that would mean even players in shitty leagues like the NPL and the Chinese league are rated above the U23's of top teams like Madrid and Barca. The reality though is that a Madrid Academy team would most likely whoop a team from the Chinese league and make rubbish of such a rule.
sorry for bringing this up... in a '' top league'' like laliga. cool
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by phrezzz: 10:00pm On May 28, 2015
Team training 2day was all about ball retention and pressing. iheanacho scored 2goals again today. freekicks where practiced today with musa muhammed scoring another freekick again. Nwakali was tried as a CB today. for our match against brazil, muhammed musa will be our freekick taker. by the way awoniyi scored a beauty he nutmegged our goalkeeper to score. .

(1) (2) (3) ... (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) ... (232) (Reply)

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.