Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,985 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:41 AM

Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) - Sports (117) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) (479899 Views)

Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / FIFA U-20 World Cup New Zealand 2015 Full Time Table And Fixtures / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) ... (232) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:09pm On May 28, 2015
terzurum5:

I think she is the type that doesn't hide her opion, no matter how strange it might appear before the general opinion.

You're right Sir. And I kinda lyk pple who are honest and sincere about what they think on any matter.
And uhm... Sir LeeCodeman... Hahahahaha... Biko... No vex. Bear with her as with the rest of us... We all have our unique style of communication... Pls let's be accomodating of one another... Hahahahaha... You guys are truly awesome but sometimes hilariously silly *big smiles* And I kinda lyk it *winks*

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:17pm On May 28, 2015
Now my turn to be silly...
YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ! ! ! ! ! !
Finally!!! My first time of being the first to comment on a new page(as seen above)...
Hahahahahahaha...
GO GO GO 'SUPER' FLYING EAGLES! ! ! ! ! ! !

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by LeeCodeman: 1:40pm On May 28, 2015
TheSuperNerd:
Now my turn to be silly...
YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ! ! ! ! ! !
Finally!!! My first time of being the first to comment on a new page(as seen above)...
Hahahahahahaha...

LOL
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 1:57pm On May 28, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Iheanacho: No one is indispensable in this team[/size]

Manchester City forward Kelechi Iheanacho has rated the Flying Eagles so highly, saying no player is indispensable in this hugely talented team.

He also touches on missing out on the African Youth Championship in Senegal, his injury problems as well as his targets with the Flying Eagles at the World Cup.

QUESTION: How was your flight to New Zealand from England?

IHEANACHO: The flight was long though I enjoyed it because there weren’t too much turbulence in midair.

It was not tiring? How did you kill the boredom?

It was tiring, so I had to find sleep and play some music, thereafter we landed in Singapore, then Auckland and now New Plymouth.

Have you adjusted to the cold weather and the huge time difference?

We hope to do that quickly so that we will be at our best.

You have reunited with your friends and teammates after a long absence. How did it feel?

I was so happy when I met up with them at the airport because it has been a long time we were together. I am always happy when I’m part of this team. I was very, very excited to see them again.

How are you looking forward now to the U20 World Cup?

It will be a very good experience for me and the team as well. We hope we will do much better than we did with the U17s because we have grown up now and this is another level of football so we have to perfect many things we did not do with the U17s and play more professionally.

We hope to scale through in our first game against Brazil and go on from there.

We were the MVP of the 2013 U17 World Cup in UAE and you now feature for Manchester City. Does that put you under a lot more pressure here in New Zealand?

I won’t play under pressure because we have to give our country what they want and what they need. We are playing for the country and so we have to give our best and make sure we go far in this competition.

By God’s grace, we hope to reach the final and lift the trophy. But no one is sure till the end of the competition.

In this team, we have good quality players and good quality staff who can give us what we need to play.

I will not play under pressure, I will be relaxed and play the football because I will be playing alongside my teammates who we have played together for long, we will work together as a team and so there will be no pressure.

You did not make it to the training camp in Germany. Won’t this affect you at the World Cup?

We all have our opinions, but I could not go to Germany because I was injured and when I came back, I suffered another injury and was trying to recover from that injury.

I would have loved to be in Germany with the team, but I encountered visa issues and coupled with my injury, it was not possible to come down.

What kind of injury did you suffer?

An ankle ligament injury, same injury I had on December 2 and it came back in March.

But we see you are fully fit now because any time you step on the pitch, you score goals.

I am fit now. When you are injured and want to come back, you have to work hard so that you recover fully. I am fit now and I’m ready to go at the World Cup.

So, you have regained your confidence or will you be playing with some fear?

No, I won’t play with any fears because the injury is gone for good. I won’t play with any fears but we have to take precaution.

We are players, when injury will come, it will come, when it won’t come, it won’t. You have to be careful on how you play.

You had a chance to come to the AYC, but you finally did not make it. Was it because you were injured?

Actually it had to do with the injury. I was fully recovered around the time of the competition but I had to play a game for Manchester City for them to be sure I was fully recovered for them to allow me go to the African cup. But in the game, I played like six minutes and I was injured again. That was why I did not make it to the African cup.

And then you got to hear that your teammates won the AYC. Was it a surprise to you?

I was not surprised because I know that nobody is indispensable in this team, everyone has his qualities and duty in this team. Our team is a very good team that even though you are not there, those there will make the country proud because we have quality in the team.

I was sure we will win the AYC because we have the players who can do it and even though I did not come to the World Cup, this team will definitely go far in this competition. We have very, very good players and that is why anybody who comes to the team will have to put in his best for the coach to pick him because we are all very good.

What should Nigerians expect now from Kelechi Iheanacho and Flying Eagles?

We will leave the talk and face the game because that is what will decide our future here. Nigerians should expect good football from me and the team and I pray we go far in the competition, so that by God’s grace we get the trophy.

I am confident we will surely go far in this competition.

The Flying Eagles opening game is against Brazil who have won the tournament five times, while Nigeria are yet to win any.

Yes, they have won five times, but that time is past. This is a new generation and a new competition. It will be determined in 90 minutes. We have to do well as a team, put in our best for us to beat them because they are also a very good team. And then take it on from there and face the other teams in our group.

Who are your role models?

Lionel Messi and Kaka of Brazil.

How would you describe yourself as a player?

I would say I’m a young player who needs to keep learning everyday so as to be a better player.

Thank you.

You are welcome. [/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by safarigirl(f): 1:59pm On May 28, 2015
Just came across this U13 pic....thought to share it

3 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by LeeCodeman: 2:05pm On May 28, 2015
joseph1013:

I was not surprised because I know that nobody is indispensable in this team, everyone has his qualities and duty in this team. Our team is a very good team that even though you are not there, those there will make the country proud because we have quality in the team.
I was sure we will win the AYC because we have the players who can do it and even though I did not come to the World Cup, this team will definitely go far in this competition. We have very, very good players and that is why anybody who comes to the team will have to put in his best for the coach to pick him because we are all very good.

You see...even the boy knows that things will still happen if he did not come to the World Cup. That's what I'm talking about. They all are stars in their own rights. The camaraderie is there...the respect is there...the unity is there.

Am I the only one desiring the World Cup to start tonight?

3 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by robosky02(m): 2:08pm On May 28, 2015
safarigirl:
Just came across this U13 pic....thought to share it

that why i said you are the sports diva

some guys will come and tell us Kelechi looks older than he is

when he is here as 13 yr old

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by LeeCodeman: 2:09pm On May 28, 2015
joseph1013:

He's a Barca fan...hmmm...hopefully he gets to play for us in the not-to-distance future.

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 2:39pm On May 28, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Hungary join Flying Eagles at Quality Hotel[/size]

Group E rivals Hungary have finally booked into the same Quality Hotel in New Plymouth with the Flying Eagles on Thursday afternoon.

The Europeans are coached by a German and so will be expected to be a fit and a very hard working team.

An official disclosed they have been in New Zealand for about five days.

They massacred another World Cup finalists Fiji 7-0 in a test game under very harsh weather conditions – cold and rain showers – and on a slippery pitch.

They clash with Nigeria on June 7 at the Stadium Taranaki. It will be the first meeting between the two teams in this competition.

Hungary’s best showing at the World Cup was achieved on African soil when they placed third in Egypt in 2009.

They barely qualified for New Zealand 2015 courtesy of a 2-1 win over Israel in a European U19 Championship, which they hosted. They lost their first two matches (3-1 to Austria, 6-1 to Portugal). [/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 2:54pm On May 28, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Moses, Isaac in Camp, Promises Goals at World Cup[/size]

Moses Simon has said he hopes to get his shooting boots firing again at the U20 World Cup after he last scored for Belgian champions Gent on April 5.

Simon and Granada striker Isaac Success were the last players to join the rest of the Nigeria squad for the World Cup in New Plymouth Wednesday evening.

“Yes, the last time I scored was in April against Kortrijk, but the goals have not dried up. I believe I will be backing scoring again, hopefully at this World Cup,” he said on arrival in the team’s Quality Hotel.

Moses Simon, a January transfer signing, netted seven goals as Gent won a first-ever Belgian league championship in 115 years.

He said he is delighted with the reception he got from the rest of the squad in New Plymouth.

“It really feels good as I was accepted by the boys immediately on arrival,” said the left winger, who also featured at the 2013 tournament in Turkey.

“I believe we will give Nigeria something good here.”[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by mackfame: 2:57pm On May 28, 2015
joseph1013:

Moses Simon has said he hopes to get his shooting boots firing again at the U20 World Cup after he last scored for Belgian champions Gent on April 5.

Simon and Granada striker Isaac Success were the last players to join the rest of the Nigeria squad for the World Cup in New Plymouth Wednesday evening.

“Yes, the last time I scored was in April against Kortrijk, but the goals have not dried up. I believe I will be backing scoring again, hopefully at this World Cup,” he said on arrival in the team’s Quality Hotel.

Moses Simon, a January transfer signing, netted seven goals as Gent won a first-ever Belgian league championship in 115 years.

He said he is delighted with the reception he got from the rest of the squad in New Plymouth.

“It really feels good as I was accepted by the boys immediately on arrival,” said the left winger, who also featured at the 2013 tournament in Turkey.

About time smiley. Good news, thanks Joe !! smiley

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:00pm On May 28, 2015
joseph1013:
[b][size=14pt]Iheanacho: No one is indispensable in this team[/size]

Manchester City forward Kelechi Iheanacho has rated the Flying Eagles so highly, saying no player is indispensable in this hugely talented team.

He also touches on missing out on the African Youth Championship in Senegal, his injury problems as well as his targets with the Flying Eagles at the World Cup.

QUESTION: How was your flight to New Zealand from England?

IHEANACHO: The flight was long though I enjoyed it because there weren’t too much turbulence in midair.

It was not tiring? How did you kill the boredom?

It was tiring, so I had to find sleep and play some music, thereafter we landed in Singapore, then Auckland and now New Plymouth.

Have you adjusted to the cold weather and the huge time difference?

We hope to do that quickly so that we will be at our best.

You have reunited with your friends and teammates after a long absence. How did it feel?

I was so happy when I met up with them at the airport because it has been a long time we were together. I am always happy when I’m part of this team. I was very, very excited to see them again.

How are you looking forward now to the U20 World Cup?

It will be a very good experience for me and the team as well. We hope we will do much better than we did with the U17s because we have grown up now and this is another level of football so we have to perfect many things we did not do with the U17s and play more professionally.

We hope to scale through in our first game against Brazil and go on from there.

We were the MVP of the 2013 U17 World Cup in UAE and you now feature for Manchester City. Does that put you under a lot more pressure here in New Zealand?

I won’t play under pressure because we have to give our country what they want and what they need. We are playing for the country and so we have to give our best and make sure we go far in this competition.

By God’s grace, we hope to reach the final and lift the trophy. But no one is sure till the end of the competition.

In this team, we have good quality players and good quality staff who can give us what we need to play.

I will not play under pressure, I will be relaxed and play the football because I will be playing alongside my teammates who we have played together for long, we will work together as a team and so there will be no pressure.

You did not make it to the training camp in Germany. Won’t this affect you at the World Cup?

We all have our opinions, but I could not go to Germany because I was injured and when I came back, I suffered another injury and was trying to recover from that injury.

I would have loved to be in Germany with the team, but I encountered visa issues and coupled with my injury, it was not possible to come down.

What kind of injury did you suffer?

An ankle ligament injury, same injury I had on December 2 and it came back in March.

But we see you are fully fit now because any time you step on the pitch, you score goals.

I am fit now. When you are injured and want to come back, you have to work hard so that you recover fully. I am fit now and I’m ready to go at the World Cup.

So, you have regained your confidence or will you be playing with some fear?

No, I won’t play with any fears because the injury is gone for good. I won’t play with any fears but we have to take precaution.

We are players, when injury will come, it will come, when it won’t come, it won’t. You have to be careful on how you play.

You had a chance to come to the AYC, but you finally did not make it. Was it because you were injured?

Actually it had to do with the injury. I was fully recovered around the time of the competition but I had to play a game for Manchester City for them to be sure I was fully recovered for them to allow me go to the African cup. But in the game, I played like six minutes and I was injured again. That was why I did not make it to the African cup.

And then you got to hear that your teammates won the AYC. Was it a surprise to you?

What should Nigerians expect now from Kelechi Iheanacho and Flying Eagles?

We will leave the talk and face the game because that is what will decide our future here. Nigerians should expect good football from me and the team and I pray we go far in the competition, so that by God’s grace we get the trophy.

I am confident we will surely go far in this competition.

The Flying Eagles opening game is against Brazil who have won the tournament five times, while Nigeria are yet to win any.

Yes, they have won five times, but that time is past. This is a new generation and a new competition. It will be determined in 90 minutes. We have to do well as a team, put in our best for us to beat them because they are also a very good team. And then take it on from there and face the other teams in our group.

How would you describe yourself as a player?

I would say I’m a young player who needs to keep learning everyday so as to be a better player.

Thank you.

You are welcome. [/b]

LITTLE WONDER... MESSI AND KAKA ARE HIS TOP SOCCER ROLE MODELS. I SEE MORE OF MESSI IN NACHO BUT OF COURSE, HE CAN BE MUCH MUCH MORE...

THANK GOD FOR THE TEAM SPIRIT AND HIGH RESPECTS THEY HAVE FOR ONE ANOTHER. IT'S NEVER ABOUT INDIVIDUALISM, IT'S ABOUT THE TEAM... NACHO AND CO KNOW THIS.

YES! YES!! YES!!!
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 3:08pm On May 28, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Nwakali Plays Down Significance Of Brazil Match[/size]

Flying Eagles midfielder Chidiebere Nwakali has played down talks of their clash against Brazil being a 'final before the final', saying none of the teams will be thinking about the final just yet.

Nigeria open their FIFA U20 World Cup with mouth-watering tie against the junior Samba Boys of Brazil in New Plymouth on June 1, and Nwakali believes there won't be anything particularly special about the fixture.

"For me it's going to be just a game because it's our first in the competition and nobody would be thinking about the final at that stage.

"A lot of people always want to see Nigeria play Brazil and it will happen but it will be just our first game and what we shall have in mind will be the maximum points.

"You don't want to start thinking about the final from the first game because you might get distracted. We will put in our best in the game but I don't think there's any significance to it beyond the three points we want to get," he said.

Asked what he expects from the Brazilians, the Manchester City midfielder says he expects a tough duel which will be keenly contested.

"It's going to be a tough match no doubt and both teams will put in their best.

"We cannot wait for the competition as we have trained and prepared very hard for it and hopefully we will return home with the trophy," he added.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:17pm On May 28, 2015
joseph1013:

Now the CLASS is FULLY in session... GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!

VA VA VA 'SUPER' FLYING EAGLES! ! ! ! ! ! !

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Nobody: 4:10pm On May 28, 2015
Taiwo Awoniyi in March was the 18-year-old striker who wanted to score in every game to finish as the African Youth Championship in Senegal as the top goal scorer.

He almost did, getting his name on the sheets 3 times in two games but went cold -sort off- in the subsequent games but had done enough to help the team to another title.

Since then, Awoniyi has scored goals with the recklessness of a kid who wants to get noticed; and boy has he attracted massive attention, by FIFA, CAF and without a doubt by the opponents to come in New Zealand.

Lately though his concerns might turn inwards as the biggest competitions will come from the squad.

Kelechi Iheanacho and Isaac Success are household names everybody including Awoniyi knows this, and though he appears to be made of steel on the outside, the Flying Eagles goal poacher has given the first hint me could be playing a reduced role at the World Cup in New Zealand.

In a recent interview with CAF, Awoniyi was asked about his target ahead of the FIFA U20 World Cup and he responded in the most uncharacteristically manner.

QUESTION: What are your own specific target being one of the team’s top scorers?

Awoniyi: The first obligation as a striker is to help the team in winning all the matches. I will try my best to assist my team to victory and also score when the chance comes.

How well will Awoniyi handle the pressure equally better players upfront in the team?
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Nobody: 4:11pm On May 28, 2015
With 2 days before the commencement of the New Zealand 2015 FIFA U20 World Cup, ex-international, Jonathan Akpoborie ‎( class of ’87) says he expects Nigeria to get the better of Brazil in their first group game on Monday.
Nigeria who qualified for the twentieth edition to be hosted by New Zealand, as champions of Africa are grouped with Brazil, North Korea and Hungary.

The Country came close in 1989 and 2005 but how it starts off the block against Brazil could make or mar their title hopes.

The Brazil fixture has been dubbed the biggest tie in Group E and according to Akpoborie, the Manu Garba tutored side are a better team when compared to the class of 1987 that lost 4-0 to Brazil in the finals.

” Its always very interesting but we sort of missed our way because they are tactically better than us. We have raw talent yes, but we lack the organisation and that’s the small edge they have over us now.

” In 1987 we had arguably the best team but we could not cage the Brazilians because they were a better side and that was how the won the finals. Even if we played for 2 days, it would have been the same outcome,” he said

” In this game though, we have a better team; the entire team together not individually, so now we have a very good chance to win the game but everybody has got to put in 200 per cent to beat a team like Brazil.”

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by ChiefEmekaVilla(m): 4:44pm On May 28, 2015
joseph1013:

We thank God for this great news! Now let the games begin.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by bigblangston: 5:02pm On May 28, 2015
ChiefEmekaVilla:

We thank God for this great news! Now let the games begin.
I pray we score d same number of goals ur moniker carries against brazil, ur moniker shud be one of d longest on NL

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by AIG07: 5:06pm On May 28, 2015
[color=#006600][/color]
happy to hear from Nacho imsef se no one is indispensable. This is what happens wen dere is no sentiments in team selection. Another GBOOSAAA! For Manu. This will help d team alot as no player will feel superior. E go make dem serious since no one get a birthright in d first 11(unlike Mikel). This will also compel d guys to rate d team above any individual ambitions costhe bench is as strong as d starters. You flop like this you seat down de watch be that o.
#FLYflyingEAGLES
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 5:13pm On May 28, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Musa – Flying Eagles’ Captain Fantastic[/size]

One of the key decisions often made by football managers is picking the player to lead the rest of the lads out in battles and more often such decision can either make or mar the fortune of any team.

But the choice of Musa Muhammed initially as captain of Nigeria’s 2013 FIFA U-17 World Cup winning team (Golden Eaglets) and later for the U-20 team (Flying Eagles) according to coach Manu Garba, was no accident.

“I picked Musa as captain for the U-17 team based on a personal conviction that he has the quality to lead the team and also because he combines names of two inspired prophets- Musa and Muhammed,” Garba said in his typical philosophical hue.

Musa has indeed turned out to be a leader in the true sense of the word and his exemplary performance has practically rubbed off on the rest of the team. He plays in the defensive line but with an uncommon gusto which sees him surging forward in search of goals.

A dead ball specialist, he tellingly showed how good he can be by curling a sublime free-kick into the top corner for Nigeria’s third and the final goal in the 3-0 thrashing of Mexico in the final of the 2013 FIFA U-17 World Cup that sealed the Golden Eaglets’ record fourth title. The right-back was also the top scorer with four goals at the Orange African U-20 Youth Championship in Senegal where he led the Flying Eagles to conquer the continent in a blistering fashion last March.

“I can play at the right full back or in the central defensive position, but I’m more comfortable in the right back because it allows me to join my teammates in the attack,” Musa told Cafonline.com.

“I always focus on what the coaches have been telling me about (getting into the) scoring position and that is what has been helping me to score all the time.”

The 18-year old is the kind of player that doesn’t do anything at half measure and he noted that constant practice has helped horned his skill, revealing his fond admiration for Carles Puyol, the former Barcelona’s captain known for his offensive style.

“Yes, it is true some people call me captain fantastic. I’m happy being the captain of the Flying Eagles but it is not an easy thing because of the challenges and tough matches we are playing.

“When I joined the U-17 team, I did not expect being made the captain and I’m grateful to coach Garba who is like a father to all of us for also making me the Flying Eagles captain; it is an honour.

“I always practice taking free kicks and penalty kicks in training; sometimes I'm tired but when I think about the responsibility that is on my shoulder, I work harder,” he maintained

Second child in a family that has four other brothers, the defender said his focus now is the FIFA U-20 World Cup which kicks off on Saturday in New Zealand.

On the eve of the team’s departure from their training camp in Germany where they beat the youth sides of German clubs,- Hoffenheim, Nuremberg and Freiburg in test matches; Muhammed was upbeat about the chances of the African champions.

The Flying Eagles would open their account in New Zealand with a top of the drawer encounter against old foes, Brazil, but he was never going to be intimidated, saying they have what it takes to go all the way.

“We have a good chance and our aim in New Zealand is to win the cup and make names for ourselves and the country,” said Musa who was decorated with a national honour (Member of the Order of Niger) along with his teammates following the FIFA U-17 World Cup triumph.

“I’m confident because of the type of players that we have and we are all focussed. Insha Allah (by the grace of Allah) we are going to win all our matches even against Brazil and others teams at the World Cup.

“We play as a team and personally, Wilfred Ndidi and Taiwo Awoniyi gives me so much confidence that we can do it.
The Flying Eagles, led by Musa (with the trophy) won African Youth Championship in Senegal in March

“Coach Manu is a great coach and we look up to him like our father because he always advises us on how to be good in all aspect of life.

“What makes me happy? Is to see that we win all our games,” Musa sounded off.

Senegal, Ghana and Mali complete the African quartet for the tournament that runs till 20 June 2015.[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by P0intBlank(m): 5:15pm On May 28, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

[b]Why was he robbed? Because Awoniyi got two man of the match awards?

It does not work like that.

Look at today's match, Bacca will get the praise for all the goals he scored. But, was he the most valueable player? Take out Banega and watch that team crumble. If you get the stats and see Banega's pass completion, you will see no other player did that like him. When you go to completed dribbles, it was Konoplianka.

Awoniyi scored goals but his overall performance was not above players like Nwobodo.

Look at Mikel at 2005 WYC. He was by far the best player of the tournament but he did not score a goal. That is why Messi took it. It takes more than just goals.

Look at Messi and Spain with Xavi in form. They were untouchable as soon as Xavi lost form, Messi and Spain detoriated.

Today Messi gets the praise but the true hero for Barca in the Champions league is Rakitic. It is not a coincidence he was part of the Sevilla Europa league winning team and is in the Champions league finals.

Players like Pirlo gets overlooked because of lack of goals. If they score, they get the award.

I think that is what happened with Yeboah but we need stats before writing him off. The WYC will show more.

Man City did not bring him to the campus by chance. That was done before the AYC.
[/b]

Messi gets the praise and rightly so. Messi is a creator and finisher all in one. Messi has more assists than Xavi and Iniesta put together. If u doubt it check d stats. Messi has outscored every world class striker Barcelona has bought from Eto to Suarez. Without Messi, Barcelona would be another Arsenal -playing beautiful football and winning nothing. Pass completion stat is useless if it's doesn't result into chance creation. (key passes and assists). Yaw Yeboah played well but didn't do enough to win MVP.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by terzurum5(m): 5:25pm On May 28, 2015
joseph1013:

JoeJoe you are 100 much this the kind of news that makes me so happy.
1 GBOSAA for you + 1 bottle of BKT. Oya take it.
**cheers**...:::::::''''''*smiles*cheesycheesycheesy
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by ChiefEmekaVilla(m): 5:26pm On May 28, 2015
bigblangston:
I pray we score d same number of goals ur moniker carries against brazil, ur moniker shud be one of d longest on NL

Lol my oga, I'm assuming moniker means Username? Me I be newbie for NL. If that's the case, then na basket them go use carry the goals go house be that lol.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 5:34pm On May 28, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Awoniyi: We are going for the trophy[/size]

Nigeria’s U-20 side, Flying Eagles, are being touted as one of the favourites at the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup in New Zealand following the imperious manner they won the continental title last March in Senegal.

Striker Taiwo Awoniyi who was one of the stars when Nigeria won a record fourth FIFA U-17 World Cup in 2013 in the United Arab Emirates, has also been one of the Flying Eagles’ consistent performers and one of the team’s top scorer in Senegal where he notched three goals in five matches.

Speaking exclusively with Cafonline.com ahead of the FIFA U-20 World Cup opening next Saturday, Awoniyi said he and his colleagues are not oblivious of the challenges ahead of them insisting that the coach Manu Garba-led side has the mentality to finally secure the country’s first gold medal at this level.

The Flying Eagles twice came close to winning the trophy in 1989 and 2005 but were stopped respectively by Portugal and Argentina, but the 18-year-old Awoniyi noted a successful championship for Nigeria in New Zealand was nothing but going all the way to win their Holy Grail. Below are excerpts of the interview;

Cafonline.com: To start with, how do you feel being selected for the FIFA U-20 World Cup?

Taiwo Awoniyi: First and foremost, special thanks to God Almighty who has been the author of everything. Without him it (my selection) won't have happened; and great thanks to our coaches for giving me the opportunity since my days in the Golden Eaglets (Nigeria U-17 team).

How challenging has it been playing at the U-20 level after graduating from the U-17 team?

It is very challenging because this is a team where almost everyone graduated from the U-17 side as such, everyone knows what is needed and expected to be able to play in the team when given the chance. Everyone is capable of playing anytime and one just has to keep faith; and hope to be selected.

Most of you were part of the team that won the FIFA U-17 World Cup in 2013, how far can this team go in New Zealand?

Football is a game that can be unpredictable but, I believe with the mentally this team got from day one, I want to talk of nothing else and God willing, we are going to win the trophy.

What kind of mentality are you talking about?

We have a winning mentality. In the team, we have unity and love for one another. There is also great love from our dad (coach Manu Garba) who we all see as coach that brought the belief of facing all game; that nothing will come out of it but victory in all the games we are going to play.

What are your own specific target being one of the team's top scorers?

The first obligation as a striker is to help the team in winning all the matches. I will try my best to assist my team to victory and also score when the chance comes.

Were you surprised with the inclusion of Isaac Success and Kelechi Iheanacho who did not feature in qualifiers and training matches?

Our coach and other technical crew know the best thing for the team. But they (Success Isaac and Kelechi Iheanacho) are member of the family and without club issues, they would have featured in both the qualifiers and training matches. I was not surprised about their inclusion in the team since they are going to bring quality to the team.

Both players (Isaac and Iheanacho) are in direct competition with you in the attacking position, will their inclusion not affect you?

This is a team with a united family both on and off the field. Our prayer is for victory irrespective of who is playing. I believe anyone of us is capable of playing anytime.

What do you make of your chances against Brazil, Hungary and North Korea?

Like I said earlier, we have a winning mentality and we see nothing but victory anytime we are on the field. We hope to soar higher in New Zealand.

Brazil is one of the most successful teams at this level (with five titles). Are you not worried coming against them at the early stage of the competition?

We are a successful team also and we have talents too. We are not scared and we are not entertaining any fear at all.

Nigeria is yet to win the Under-20 World Cup despite coming close in 1989 and 2005; can you go all the way and win it?

Nobody knows what tomorrow holds but I believe with faith, prayer and hard work, we would get what we want. Winning the championship through the help of God would be a successful championship for us.[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by terzurum5(m): 5:34pm On May 28, 2015
NFF Not Putting Flying Eagles Under Pressure
NFF Scribe Sanusi Mohammed Says No Targets Set For Flying Eagles Team.
Amid so much talk about the possibility of the Flying Eagles winning the FIFA U20 World Cup for the first time, General Secretary of the Nigeria Football Federation, Sanusi Mohammed says they haven't given any targets to the team.
The Flying Eagles commence their campaign against Brazil in New Plymouth on June 1, and have been widely touted as favourites and Sanusi says even though they have high expectations of the Flying Eagles, they won't be putting them under 'unnecessary pressure'.
"We have great expectations of them (Flying Eagles) that they will do well but we haven't set any specific targets for them.
"We believe they can win the trophy but we don't want to put them under any unnecessary pressure because that could be counter-productive.
"The boys have done well so far and they have had a good preparation and it is our hope they will bring the trophy to Nigeria because a lot of people expect so much from them but at the same time I don't think it is wise to put them under pressure," Sanusi said.
The Nigerian U20's are in group E, which also has Hungary and North Korea and Sanusi believes it is a fair group the Flying Eagles can qualify from.
"Everybody talks about winning the trophy but we have to qualify from the group first.
"It's not going to be an easy group but I'm confident they will qualify because they have shown so much quality," he added.
The game against Brazil comes up next Monday at 2am Nigeria time.
www.sl10.ng/news/articles/categories/nigeria-1/nff-scribe-sanusi-mohammed-says-no-targets-set-for-flying-eagles-team/210812
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 5:50pm On May 28, 2015
[size=14pt]FIFA welcome Flying Eagles to New Zealand Friday[/size]

World football governing body FIFA will officially welcome the Nigeria delegation led by Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) executive committee member Ahmed Yusuf ‘Fresh’ on Friday.
'Fresh' is also vice-chairman of the NFF technical sub-committee.

The reception will be at 10am local time and during which the Flying Eagles players and officials will be put through what is expected of them on and off the pitch at the U20 World Cup in New Zealand.

The 21 players on the final squad will each receive a token $100 from FIFA.

The rendezvous will be at the team’s Quality Hotel Plymouth International.

The Flying Eagles will after the orientation programme set out for training by 1pm.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by terzurum5(m): 5:58pm On May 28, 2015
FIFA officials deflect scandal questions.
FIFA officials in Auckland have moved to shut down questions about the major corruption scandal facing the sporting body.
The head of the tournament's organising committee is one of seven senior FIFA officials arrested in Switzerlandand charged with racketeering, fraud and money-laundering.
Jeffrey Webb was arrested in a morning raid at a Zurich hotel on the eve of FIFA's annual congress.
Fourteen people have been indicted and seven senior officials have been arrested in Zurich on charges of racketeering, fraud and money-laundering over the past two decades.
A news conference was held this afternoon as part of the start of the Under 20 World Cup, beginning in this country in two days.
Officials at the conference said they would only accept questions about the tournament itself.
The media still asked about the arrests over several minutes but FIFA communications worker Monika Huser said repeatedly they could not be answered.
"Well, we can't actually talk about the recent events happening in Zurich - however, we appreciate that this is important for you... We ask for your understanding at this time."
Questions on the arrests from the media lasted several minutes before the news conference was called to an end.
Les Murray, a former member of the FIFA ethics committee between 2006 and 2012, said fighting corruption in a global body was a tough task and he did the best he could.
He toldCheckpointthey brought down dozens of people but lacked the evidence to catch them all.
"We were not a police force, we were a judicial body. Somebody brought evidence to us that somebody was corrupt - we heard that case. I was there for six years, and I know how things operated, and I sleep very well at night about my role on the FIFA ethics committee."
www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/274833/fifa-officials-deflect-scandal-questions
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by terzurum5(m): 6:02pm On May 28, 2015
No 'taint' on NZ football tournament.
Football's top brass are adamant the scandal will not cast a shadow over the Under-20 World Cup in this country, beginning in two days' time.
The man behind New Zealand's bid to host the FIFA Under 20 World Cup said the bid was clean.
Former Chief Executive of New Zealand Football Michael Glading presented New Zealand's bid to FIFA.
He said he never dealt with Jeffrey Webb and at no point did he have to put up any money into the bid.
New Zealand representative on the under-20 organising committee, Dave Beeche, said it was business as usual for the tournament.
"We don't anticipate any impact on the tournament at all at this stage," he said.
"Obviously it's a developing situation, but we're focusing on the task at hand and that's putting the final touches in place and make sure we deliver a great event."
Swiss prosecutors have launched investigations into how the rights to host full World Cup tournaments were awarded, but Mr Beeche said he was not aware of any investigation into how New Zealand earned the rights to host this one.Sports Minister Jonathan Coleman dismissed suggestions the New Zealand tournament might be tarred by the scandal.
"The focus of the local organising committee is actually on the tournament delivery and obviously they've got a big job ahead of them.
"And all this stuff is happening overseas so it'll be a while for all the to come through the wash, but I'm confident the New Zealand has no direct involvement or implication in anything that involves that touches this scandal."
Dr Coleman said he was certain the Under 20 World Cup will be a great success.
Earlier, former NZ Football chairperson Frank van Hattum toldMorning Reporthe was not surprised by the latest scandal to hit world football's governing body, but any investigation was outside NZ Football's control.
"The under-20 tournament will be continuing and will be unaffected by this; there'll be some officials won't come out because they've got other obligations in the next few weeks, I dare say.
"Most of the organisation of the tournament, if there's an investigation to be done into that, is outside of New Zealand's control."
The former Chief Executive of New Zealand Football, Michael Glading, who presented New Zealand's bid to FIFA, said their bid was clean.
He told Checkpoint he never dealt with Jeffrey Webb, and at no point did he have to put up any money in the bid.
NZ Football CEO Andy Martin is in Zurich for the annual FIFA Congress, and issued a statement:
"The developments in the last 24 hours are very serious and we continue to monitor the situation closely so that we can react appropriately," Mr Martin said.
"Our delegation in Zurich are in close contact with our executive committee and Oceania Football and we will continue to play our role in upholding the integrity of FIFA and its operations."
He said NZ Football and the local organising committee would remain focused on delivering a "great FIFA U-20 World Cup".
The first game will be New Zealand versus Ukraine at North Harbour Stadium in Auckland on Saturday 30 May.
www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/274833/fifa-officials-deflect-scandal-questions
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 6:09pm On May 28, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Nigerians to Watch Flying Eagles, Falcons Live[/size]

Nigerian football fans will have the luxury of watching live and delayed matches of FIFA U-20 World Cup involving the Flying Eagles and the Super Falcons at the FIFA Women's World Cup on television.

The Flying Eagles will begin their quest on May 30 against Brazil, while the Falcons will tackle Sweden on June 8 Canada 2015.
The General Manager NTA Enterprise, Maxwell Loko, said at a media parley yesterday, that all the matches would be on NTA terrestrial channels and Star Time.

According to Loko, the network and all Broadcasting Organizations of Nigeria (BON) platforms will not only relay the games live, but will be played back later in the day to enable more Nigerians view the matches.

Nigeria for instance is11 hours behind New Zealand implying that Nigerians will be at bed when the Flying Eagles play their first match.
"All the matches will be played back in full between 5-7 pm on the platforms so that many people can watch regardless of the outcome, "Loko said.

He said BON would ensure that the matches are shown on television in compliance with non exclusivity clause. Each member station will in addition have advertising window to recoup their investment.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 6:36pm On May 28, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Udinese to track Idowu in New Zealand[/size]

Allnigeriasoccer.com understands that Udinese are leading the race for Nigeria Under-20 international Akinjide Idowu.

A source informed allnigeriasoccer.com that the central midfielder’s intermediary, Babawo Mohammed, is presently in Italy negotiating with the higher-ups at The Bianconeri .

However, talks have not led to the immediate offer of a contract to the Nigeria Youth Soccer Academy, Calabar starlet.

Udinese posted scouts to run the rule over Akinjide Idowu at the African Youth Championship (AYC) and they will further observe him at close quarters in New Zealand during the Under-20s just to confirm that his imperious display in Senegal was not a flash in the pan.

The Flying Eagles number 4 is also a target for Scottish Premier League champions Glasgow Celtic.

Agent Babawo Mohammed will depart Friuli-Venezia Giulia for New Plymouth (New Zealand) on Thursday, with a view to motivating his client during the FIFA Under-20 World Cup.
[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by P0intBlank(m): 6:38pm On May 28, 2015
LeeCodeman:

You see...even the boy knows that things will still happen if he did not come to the World Cup. That's what I'm talking about. They all are stars in their own rights. The camaraderie is there...the respect is there...the unity is there.

Am I the only one desiring the World Cup to start tonight?

That was the same part of interview that struck me. Manu Garba has done a really good job. That's d right orientation. Anyone that's shortlisted should know it's an honour to play for ur country and not the other way round.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:41pm On May 28, 2015
P0intBlank:

Messi gets the praise and rightly so. Messi is a creator and finisher all in one. Messi has more assists than Xavi and Iniesta put together. If u doubt it check d stats. Messi has outscored every world class striker Barcelona has bought from Eto to Suarez. Without Messi, Barcelona would be another Arsenal -playing beautiful football and winning nothing. Pass completion stat is useless if it's doesn't result into chance creation. (key passes and assists). Yaw Yeboah played well but didn't do enough to win MVP.

Saying pass completion is useless tells a lot. You are simply saying the likes of Pirlo, Xavi, Xabi Alonso, Schweinsteiger, Ballack, Busquets, Toni Kroos, Khedira, Thiago Alcantara are useless. Are they or you are just talking. These men do more in pass completion than assists or goals. Most of these names are highly respected footballer.

Guardiola said if he was to return as a footballer, he would return like Busquets.

(1) (2) (3) ... (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) ... (232) (Reply)

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 173
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.