Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,707 members, 7,809,690 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:14 PM

Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here - Agriculture (66) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here (482621 Views)

World's Largest Pig Farm In Kano / Intending And First-time Farmers: Lets Meet Here / Kaduna State Farmers Lets Meet Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (122) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by vickifeanyi47(m): 10:06pm On Apr 30, 2017
castins:
My pig pen is almost ready, am a beginners, advice please. Do I go for weaner or pregnant ones, which one will be best for me to start with, am just new , pls advice. Am based in PH.

I will suggest you go for growers because weaners or pregnant sows are more delicate to handel being that you don't have the firsthand experienced to take care of them.. I started barely 6 months ago with young growers gilts which have begun to farrow since January.. my advice is start small...very important

2 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ijames: 11:22pm On Apr 30, 2017
enomakos:
any pig farmer in Benin city?
yes im in benin

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by enomakos(m): 6:37am On May 01, 2017
[quote author=ijames post=56083406] yes im in benin [/quote check your pm bro
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by knowyaself2(m): 1:26pm On May 01, 2017
Any farmer that needs palm karnel sludge(pig feed) for fattening diet should please contact me. Our factory is located in ikotun.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by knowyaself2(m): 1:36pm On May 01, 2017
TONY56:

Please what do you refer to as "Sludge" that you advised to be added to feed component and where is it sold?
Sludge is the residue from palm karnel oil. It's used specifically as fattening diets for pigs.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by TONY56: 9:26pm On May 01, 2017
knowyaself2:

Sludge is the residue from palm karnel oil. It's used specifically as fattening diets for pigs.

Thanks very much for the explanation.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by knowyaself2(m): 6:54am On May 02, 2017
TONY56:

Thanks very much for the explanation.
You are welcome
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by heraldgric: 2:00pm On May 02, 2017
what a nice thread this is!
Please what causes d destructive tendencies pigs display ?
I supply pkc at affordable price . thanks
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 4:57pm On May 02, 2017
Good day nairaland farmers, pls I need a coco farmer advice to establish on coco farm any help please drop your contact details for me or get back to me on my private mail address ajayiolakunle41@gmail.com or watsap me on 08182019974. Thanks
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by MhissIfe(f): 9:44pm On May 02, 2017
If you say they can give birth 2.5 times a year, what does that mean?
Love this formular Lagbaja but will like to ask if cassava peels can replace whole cassava? Those worried about piglets, weaners and growers i think it work if the lysine , meth levels are ajusted. Fortification with enzymes will make it more digestible.
Lets keep this thread alive. Ogas are too silent o![/quote]
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by MhissIfe(f): 9:54pm On May 02, 2017
You must mean rooting. Pigs are not destructive. On the contrary they are very curious and intelligent animals. You have to make sure that their houses(pens/rooms) are not too high and the gates are iron but not fully covered so that they can always see what is going on.
Now, sometimes you have to observe your animal and study the times that it is displaying this kind of behaviour. It might just be that it's unsettled or hungry.
I supply pkc at affordable price . thanks[/quote]
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by FashPet(m): 1:14am On May 04, 2017
castins:
My pig pen is almost ready, am a beginners, advice please. Do I go for weaner or pregnant ones, which one will be best for me to start with, am just new , pls advice. Am based in PH.

It depends on the level of your experience and training my brother.
You could have gotten both if you have resources to acquire them. Weaners will give you experience on how to nurture piglets from the scratch and to prove all the information you knew based on breeds, feeds/feeding patterns. Also having pregnant sows will also afford you an opportunity to know how to take care of a pregnant sows and nurture till delivery; witnessing the delivery and nurturing the piglets from the first day.
Consequently in business wise, the weaners you acquired would have been reaching their market sizes at the time the newly farrowed would be reaching 8 weeks, thereby you can sell and use the money to nurture the farrowed piglets to their market size also.

Let me stop here for contributions from others.

2 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by FashPet(m): 1:26am On May 04, 2017
MhissIfe:
You must mean rooting. Pigs are not destructive. On the contrary they are very curious and intelligent animals. You have to make sure that their houses(pens/rooms) are not too high and the gates are iron but not fully covered so that they can always see what is going on.
Now, sometimes you have to observe your animal and study the times that it is displaying this kind of behaviour. It might just be that it's unsettled or hungry.

How much do you supply a tonne?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by FashPet(m): 1:29am On May 04, 2017
heraldgric:

How much do you supply a tonne and where are you?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by heraldgric: 8:55am On May 04, 2017
52,000/tonne for loation within Ibadan. 07063491891
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by vickifeanyi47(m): 2:37am On May 05, 2017
FashPet:

You could have gotten both if you have resources to acquire them. Weaners will give you experience on how to nurture piglets from the scratch and to prove all the information you knew based on breeds, feeds/feeding patterns. Also having pregnant sows will also afford you an opportunity to know how to take care of a pregnant sows and nurture till delivery; witnessing the delivery and nurturing the piglets from the first day.
Consequently in business wise, the weaners you acquired would have been reaching their market sizes at the time the newly farrowed would be reaching 8 weeks, thereby you can sell and use the money to nurture the farrowed piglets to their market size also.

Thanks but what do you really mean by market size, what's the age in months?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Slimchubby: 12:40am On May 06, 2017
Pls am looking to start something small in this line of piggery. My location is Kaduna, are there places I could get pregnant sows or about to mate to buy around Kaduna? Here is my no pls if u have info wch wud be of huge help to me:- 07037999416.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by DEJAVU0691: 2:26pm On May 06, 2017
Dry BDG available for sale in Ilorin @ #45k per tonne. Call 08067611219
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dynamix101(m): 10:26pm On May 06, 2017
MhissIfe:

Hehehehehe!!! Its destructive tendency na. Sometimes i feel like conking them on the head with a heavy metal
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dynamix101(m): 10:31pm On May 06, 2017
MhissIfe:
If you say they can give birth 2.5 times a year, what does that mean?
Love this formular Lagbaja but will like to ask if cassava peels can replace whole cassava? Those worried about piglets, weaners and growers i think it work if the lysine , meth levels are ajusted. Fortification with enzymes will make it more digestible.
Lets keep this thread alive. Ogas are too silent o!

2.5 times a year means the farrow twice and are pregnant before the 12-month year cycle runs out. But i always have a problem with not allowing them to rest at all before they get pregnant after each weaning and the piglets dont get to stay for a complete 8 week suckling period
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dynamix101(m): 10:34pm On May 06, 2017
castins:

Vickifeanyi is correct. Buying growers is safer esp as you intend to breed. Never ever buy a pregnant animal. Its a dangerous shortcut that could be very disappointing and its definitely a price ripoff that you can never make up..... Dont mind whatever they tell you about the beauty of owning a pregnant female

2 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dynamix101(m): 10:43pm On May 06, 2017
FashPet:

Hmmmm........ Buying pregnant sows is a no-no...... If experienced farmers can never buy it, what justification does a newbie have to do so?? It is no easy feat nuturing newborns..... I can tell you because once your sow farrows, you must be at alert esp during the first week and you must go there daily to ensure they dont have complications or life threatening issues like the common stooling which kills them off anyhow.

Also it takes an average of 8-10months for a weaner to attain market weight. The pregnant sow will farrow in 2 months or less and they suckle for 2 months before they are weaned making it a total of 4 months..... Your weaners just turned growers.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by vickifeanyi47(m): 11:43am On May 07, 2017
dynamix101:

Hmmmm........ Buying pregnant sows is a no-no...... If experienced farmers can never buy it, what justification does a newbie have to do so?? It is no easy feat nuturing newborns..... I can tell you because once your sow farrows, you must be at alert esp during the first week and you must go there daily to ensure they dont have complications or life threatening issues like the common stooling which kills them off anyhow.

Also it takes an average of 8-10months for a weaner to attain market weight. The pregnant sow will farrow in 2 months or less and they suckle for 2 months before they are weaned making it a total of 4 months..... Your weaners just turned growers.

Well spoken
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dadson2009(m): 12:22pm On May 07, 2017
Abeg, please, gurus in the house should me to any piggery whatapp group chart. Thanks. 08183602922
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by LANDOS4RE4: 1:10pm On May 07, 2017
How many plots of land do i need to start 50 pigs busness?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by LANDOS4RE4: 1:11pm On May 07, 2017
How many plots of land do i need to start 50 pigs business?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by FashPet(m): 4:52pm On May 07, 2017
heraldgric:
52,000/tonne for loation within Ibadan. 07063491891

Ah ah ah ah ah 52000/tonne. God will bring buyers o
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by FashPet(m): 5:10pm On May 07, 2017
dynamix101:

Sometimes what is difficult for one person might be easier for another person.

Consequently, the gestation period of pig is always 113-115 days, which is almost 4 months before the nursing period.

Also, 8 months is too much to reach market size for a well fed pig. Though market size varies.

Good market sizes for pigs starts from 50kg upwards

2 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by MhissIfe(f): 5:47pm On May 07, 2017
How many productive cycle? I mean how many years do those sows produce?

2.5 times a year means the farrow twice and are pregnant before the 12-month year cycle runs out. But i always have a problem with not allowing them to rest at all before they get pregnant after each weaning and the piglets dont get to stay for a complete 8 week suckling period[/quote]
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by MhissIfe(f): 5:50pm On May 07, 2017
I agree with you, with proper feeding, 50-65 kg within 6-7 months.

Sometimes what is difficult for one person might be easier for another person.

Consequently, the gestation period of pig is always 113-115 days, which is almost 4 months before the nursing period.

Also, 8 months is too much to reach market size for a well fed pig. Though market size varies.

Good market sizes for pigs starts from 50kg upwards [/quote]
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by MhissIfe(f): 5:51pm On May 07, 2017
2 acres.
How many plots of land do i need to start 50 pigs business?[/quote]
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by MhissIfe(f): 5:55pm On May 07, 2017
Lool, but you can manage it if you know what is causing it.

Hehehehehe!!! Its destructive tendency na. Sometimes i feel like conking them on the head with a heavy metal[/quote]

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (122) (Reply)

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.