Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,676 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:41 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (105) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (678592 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DpdNKerosene(f): 4:34am On Feb 20, 2015
VisaOfficer:

In this case, it sounds like the officer will indeed find the applicant ineligible for material misrepresentation (use of a different identity). There is a waiver available, however. Waivers are more likely to be granted when the applicant is otherwise credible -- that is, when the applicant tells us what happened instead of hoping we don't notice... which we will, because we have the applicant's fingerprints and photos.

Are they required to deny the applicant because of misrepresentation or is it up to their discretion?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bewaji25: 7:01am On Feb 20, 2015
Good morning ma, I came across this page and am so happy. Pls ma I was giving a 221(g) form after my interview for k1 visa to bring more evidence of my relationship with my fiance and was asked to email lagosivscheduling@state.gov which I sent an email on the 16th of this month but am yet to get a reply mail. Pls what could be wrong, kindly help me look into it. My case number is LGS2014765032. Thank u.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:52am On Feb 20, 2015
SoCalGal:
Hello VisaOfficer!

My mom filled the I-130 form back in June 2005 for my uncle, his wife, and their daughter, and his biggest concern is not getting approved before his daughter turns 21 (in July 2018). Since she was only 7-years-old when the I-130 was filed, will it matter if she turns 21 before the petition gets approved? Is there anything that can be done, perhaps with the help of a lawyer?

Thanks in advance!

It depends how long the petition was pending and whether the child can benefit from the Child Status Protection Act.

The Child Status Protection Act (cspa) amended the Immigration Nationality Act (INA) by changing who qualifies as a child for purposes of immigration. This permits certain beneficiaries to retain classification as a “child,” even if he or she has reached the age of 21.

Age Out
A “child” is defined as an individual who is unmarried and under the age of 21. Before cspa took effect on August 6, 2002, a beneficiary who turned 21 at any time prior to receiving permanent residence could not be considered a child for immigration purposes. This situation is described as “aging out.” Congress recognized that many beneficiaries were aging out because of large backlogs and long processing times for visa petitions. cspa is designed to protect a beneficiary’s immigration classification as a child when he or she ages out due to excessive processing times. cspa can protect “child” status for family-based immigrants, employment-based immigrants, and some humanitarian program immigrants (refugees, asylees, VAWA).

See http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/child-status-protection-act/child-status-protection-act-cspa for more.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:55am On Feb 20, 2015
saddyn:
I'm so happy to Have found this forum. Please i Have a question. My Aunty's passport has a wrong datę of birth, 20th may 1976 instead of 20th may 1978. She have used the passport to apply for an american student visa about 4 to 5 years ago, which they denied her visa.
Now my Aunty is married and want to do change of name and datę of birth on her New passport as the old one has expired. But considering the fact that she had applied for a student visa before with the old passport and she had to fill 1976 Which is the wrong age on the online application form just to tally with the age in the passport. I know american embassy can keep data for a long time. Please i want to know if she changes the date of birth to her real age 1978, will that cause any problems for her at the american embassy, as she is planning to apply with her husband and their new baby for an american visiting visa?

She should use her correct name and date of birth. If she continues to use a false identity, and we find out (as we likely will), the consequences will be much more severe than if she is honest with us.

Can I ask for my own understanding why people use the wrong date of birth to apply for non-immigrant visas? Why would two years make a difference in a student visa application, and why do visa agents who get passports for people use the people's real names but come up with apparently random dates of birth? I honestly don't understand why this happens. Is it so hard for a visa agent to write down someone's birthday?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:57am On Feb 20, 2015
noberu10:
Good Morning, My Fiance was asked to come in for another interview and I was just wondering what exactly is the nature of this interview; and if he needs to come with any other supporting documents? I've emailed the consulate and I'm yet to receive a reply.

LGS2014618003

Thanks so much for reviewing our case!

If he needs to bring any supporting documents, we'll let him know. Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:58am On Feb 20, 2015
DpdNKerosene:

Are they required to deny the applicant because of misrepresentation or is it up to their discretion?

If the misrepresentation is material to the case, yes, we are required to find the applicant ineligible.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:59am On Feb 20, 2015
bewaji25:
Good morning ma, I came across this page and am so happy. Pls ma I was giving a 221(g) form after my interview for k1 visa to bring more evidence of my relationship with my fiance and was asked to email lagosivscheduling@state.gov which I sent an email on the 16th of this month but am yet to get a reply mail. Pls what could be wrong, kindly help me look into it. My case number is LGS2014765032. Thank u.

I'm not seeing any e-mails using that case number... could you send another e-mail, please?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by adeworth1: 8:58am On Feb 20, 2015
Weldone for good job ma. I am the F2a still waiting for periodity date to be updated.ma nvc demanded for a co sponsor which my husband just send to them on behalf of me and my son. My question is my periodity date is 02 AUG 2013 and it maybe updating next month ,ma am I likely to get an interview date even still waiting for nvc 6o days to be updated ?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:36am On Feb 20, 2015
adeworth1:
Weldone for good job ma. I am the F2a still waiting for periodity date to be updated.ma nvc demanded for a co sponsor which my husband just send to them on behalf of me and my son. My question is my periodity date is 02 AUG 2013 and it maybe updating next month ,ma am I likely to get an interview date even still waiting for nvc 6o days to be updated ?

Good morning -- right now we're seeing F2As that were filed on or before May 8, 2013, so yours should be current soon. At that point, if the case is documentarily complete, NVC will schedule it for an interview. To give you an idea of their processing times, last week they asked us to take more March cases, and this week they asked us to take more April cases, but they haven't asked us for our May schedule yet. Hope this helps!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by halaphilip: 10:06am On Feb 20, 2015
Good morning ma,

I need your assistance on the following points:

1. My first name on my birth certificate has a prefix – OLUxxxxx, but it is not on my international passport (and indeed all my documents right from childhood).
2. The middle name on my birth certificate is different from that on my international passport (they’re both my names, my late dad obviously preferred to use the one not on my certificate for me as soon as I started school).

Will these cause a problem at my IV interview?

Thanks as always.

Regards
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:55am On Feb 20, 2015
halaphilip:
Good morning ma,

I need your assistance on the following points:

1. My first name on my birth certificate has a prefix – OLUxxxxx, but it is not on my international passport (and indeed all my documents right from childhood).
2. The middle name on my birth certificate is different from that on my international passport (they’re both my names, my late dad obviously preferred to use the one not on my certificate for me as soon as I started school).

Will these cause a problem at my IV interview?

Thanks as always.

Regards

We're aware of the OluXXXXX variations, so that won't be a problem. If there's nothing adverse associated with your various middle names, and you can explain why you use different middle names at different times, that won't be a problem either.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by halaphilip: 11:30am On Feb 20, 2015
VisaOfficer:

We're aware of the OluXXXXX variations, so that won't be a problem. If there's nothing adverse associated with your various middle names, and you can explain why you use different middle names at different times, that won't be a problem either.

Thanks ma. Actually, I don't "use different middle names at different times". Like I said, only two names (first name and one other name) were put on birth certificate (BC). I have always used the 'other name' not on the BC on all my official documents since I started school. But thanks. I can breathe easier. Interview still over a month away; I wish it was here already smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ebugirl: 1:22pm On Feb 20, 2015
What is the validity of a Nigerian police certificate from the U.S Embassy's perspective?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VCTROKOYE: 1:30pm On Feb 20, 2015
Hi consular officer. I got a mail (DS 261) from NVC concerning my F2B application but surprisingly, my mother has been scheduled for citizenship interview next month being March, 2015. I understand the possibility of me or my petition (my mother) sending a reclassification letter to retain my F2B application. My question now is when should the revocation letter be sent? Is it after my mother's interview or her swearing in? If its after her swearing in, does it mean I'm still qualified under F2B? Again, to which address should the letter be sent? From my calculation, my case will become current in either April or May. So its an advantage to me that the process has already started. I live in Canada. Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bewaji25: 2:01pm On Feb 20, 2015
Thank u ma I have just sent another email now. I hope am sending it to the right email lagosivscheduling@state.gov though that's what was written on the form. LGS2014765032.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by halaphilip: 2:47pm On Feb 20, 2015
bewaji25:
Thank u ma I have just sent another email now. I hope am sending it to the right email lagosivscheduling@state.gov though that's what was written on the form. LGS2014765032.

I think the right email address is: LagosIV@state.gov
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by adeworth1: 3:21pm On Feb 20, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Good morning -- right now we're seeing F2As that were filed on or before May 8, 2013, so yours should be current soon. At that point, if the case is documentarily complete, NVC will schedule it for an interview. To give you an idea of their processing times, last week they asked us to take more March cases, and this week they asked us to take more April cases, but they haven't asked us for our May schedule yet. Hope this helps!
yes its really help.this means we have time to complete our 60days with nvc before our date get updated for F2A. Thks a lot ma God bles

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by natacha9589: 3:38pm On Feb 20, 2015
Hello CO,
Hope all is well. I have a question for you because I am not sure how to proceed on an RFE that I received from USCIS. This is for an adjustment of status application following a K1 visa. I received my K1 Visa from Lagos and just recently applied for adjustment of status. I received an RFE asking me to submit my birth certificate. With my application, I submitted the one I got from the National Population Commission that the embassy had asked me to get following my K1 interview. Now I am being asked to submit another birth certificate. I was born before 1990. Before submitting the same one from NPC again I would like to clarify with you about this. Is the NPC birth certificate the approved document to submit for the birth certificate to USCIS? Thank you for all the help that you provide on this forum.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by adeworth1: 5:06pm On Feb 20, 2015
VisaOfficer:

yes its help ma.if I may ask this question ma why is F2A in lagos still in may 8,2013 ?I just check the bulletin and I saw JUNE 22 ,2013 .God bless ma
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bukolacole(m): 12:43am On Feb 21, 2015
Good day ma, please when we went for our interview, though he congratulated us, but requested for s valid police report and our international passport in the form he gave us, but he did not return our passports to us on Thursday that we went, we have gone to the DHL office at V.I on Friday to submit our please report, my question now is hope there won't be issues of missing passports, how are we going to know they have gotten our mail and like when can we get our Visas? Thanks for your kindness to all. Please am passionately waiting for your responses ma.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Emiratekey(m): 7:30am On Feb 21, 2015
Good morning......... I have a working permit in dubai and I work for 8month later came to Nigeria to apply for conference visa which I was denied 2 times it now 7 month now...... am having another invitation letter from my cousin in America that want me to attend his wife birthday in 20th of June. My questions is can I apply for the visit visa and what do I need to do pls
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:01pm On Feb 21, 2015
ebugirl:
What is the validity of a Nigerian police certificate from the U.S Embassy's perspective?

One year from the date of issuance.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:09pm On Feb 21, 2015
VCTROKOYE:
Hi consular officer. I got a mail (DS 261) from NVC concerning my F2B application but surprisingly, my mother has been scheduled for citizenship interview next month being March, 2015. I understand the possibility of me or my petition (my mother) sending a reclassification letter to retain my F2B application. My question now is when should the revocation letter be sent? Is it after my mother's interview or her swearing in? If its after her swearing in, does it mean I'm still qualified under F2B? Again, to which address should the letter be sent? From my calculation, my case will become current in either April or May. So its an advantage to me that the process has already started. I live in Canada. Thanks.

When your mother knows the date of her naturalization, she should contact NVC, inform them that she's about to naturalize on such-and-such a date, and put in a request on your behalf to opt out of the F2B to F1 conversion. The problem is that you may be caught in a (hopefully brief) tangle if the opt out request isn't granted before you come to your interview. Technically, you'll have to be treated as an F1 until the opt out request is granted -- which means that if it isn't granted at the time of your interview, you'll be told your case isn't current yet. But if that happens, just let the Embassy or Consulate know right away when the request is granted, and they'll schedule a new appointment for you. Good luck!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:10pm On Feb 21, 2015
natacha9589:
Hello CO,
Hope all is well. I have a question for you because I am not sure how to proceed on an RFE that I received from USCIS. This is for an adjustment of status application following a K1 visa. I received my K1 Visa from Lagos and just recently applied for adjustment of status. I received an RFE asking me to submit my birth certificate. With my application, I submitted the one I got from the National Population Commission that the embassy had asked me to get following my K1 interview. Now I am being asked to submit another birth certificate. I was born before 1990. Before submitting the same one from NPC again I would like to clarify with you about this. Is the NPC birth certificate the approved document to submit for the birth certificate to USCIS? Thank you for all the help that you provide on this forum.

Yes, the NPC birth certificate is the preferred document. Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:11pm On Feb 21, 2015
adeworth1:
yes its help ma.if I may ask this question ma why is F2A in lagos still in may 8,2013 ?I just check the bulletin and I saw JUNE 22 ,2013 .God bless ma

You're looking at the Visa Bulletin for March, 2015. For February, 2015, the cut-off date is still May 8, 2013. smiley

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:12pm On Feb 21, 2015
bukolacole:
Good day ma, please when we went for our interview, though he congratulated us, but requested for s valid police report and our international passport in the form he gave us, but he did not return our passports to us on Thursday that we went, we have gone to the DHL office at V.I on Friday to submit our please report, my question now is hope there won't be issues of missing passports, how are we going to know they have gotten our mail and like when can we get our Visas? Thanks for your kindness to all. Please am passionately waiting for your responses ma.

If we have your passports here, all you need to submit is your police certificates. The visas should be ready five business days after we receive the certificates.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:13pm On Feb 21, 2015
Emiratekey:
Good morning......... I have a working permit in dubai and I work for 8month later came to Nigeria to apply for conference visa which I was denied 2 times it now 7 month now...... am having another invitation letter from my cousin in America that want me to attend his wife birthday in 20th of June. My questions is can I apply for the visit visa and what do I need to do pls

These are questions for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by saddyn: 4:53pm On Feb 21, 2015
Thanks for your quick response. I think the agents are more interested on the fee and pay little Or no attention to details.
In your reply, you said she should use her real name and real date of birth. But the name she wants to change is due to marriage Just to include her husbands surname to her name in the new passport as the olé one has expired.
And also for her to use her real age means changing the her date of birth from 1976 to 1978 which will now be different from the date of birth they have at the embassy.
So are u saying that if the date of birth is changed and she notifies the visa officer and maybe shows proof that the new date of birth is her real age, that she will not be penalised?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bukolacole(m): 8:10pm On Feb 21, 2015
VisaOfficer:

If we have your passports here, all you need to submit is your police certificates. The visas should be ready five business days after we receive the certificates.
. You are great ma, we have submitted our police certificate to the DHL office at V.I on Friday ma, please how can we be sure it will get to the Embassy, and how long does it take to get to the Embassy ma?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bewaji25: 11:38pm On Feb 21, 2015
Pls ma should the email be sent to lagosivscheduling@state.gov or lagosiv@state.gov because I have sent another mail like u said and still haven't gotten a reply mail. LGS2014765032. Thank u
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DrCaleb: 6:23am On Feb 22, 2015
Dear Visa officer
I was placed under administrative processing since December for an F-1 visa. I checked my status online, and it still depicts 'Administrative processing on-going'. Its like over 70 days so I decided to email the consular at Abuja, and I got a response that I should come drop my passport for issuance. Though I still checked my status online and its still administrative processing ongoing and that I will be contacted when they are done'. So what's your view on this ma. Thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DpdNKerosene(f): 8:50am On Feb 22, 2015
My fiance and I use Whatsapp and the phone to communication mostly. How much conversation should I print out? Just since September we over 1000 Word Document pages, I'm sure you guys don't want that many... what do you suggest?

(1) (2) (3) ... (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.