Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,826 members, 7,817,410 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:46 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (169) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (678357 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Koribe: 10:24am On Jul 01, 2015
Good morning VO.
I am the beneficiary of an I601a waiver who traveled down an interview at the Lagos Consulate. My initial interview was scheduled for June 19, so I was among those affected the massive global computer glitch.
I arrived in Nigeria on June 13 to give adequate time for my medical examination hoping to return to the United States on June 24.
I received an email on June 15 rescheduling my interview for July 11.
I have literally lived on the state department's website travel.state. gov tracking the progress as consulates return online.

Per the state department's website, those with imminent travel needs are being given priority.
I have asked the scheduling department for an earlier date than July 11 as my family and I are already suffering irrecoverable losses due to the unexpected delay.
Unfortunately, all my attempts to convey to the scheduling department that my wife and family are suffering because of my protracted absence have been met with an inflexible response.
I was at the consulate on June 19 and witnessed a gentleman informing the applicants that ALL interviews for June 19 were rescheduled for July 11.

I am completely at my wits end, helplessly watching the fabric of my life unravel: My wife has had to miss 4 days of work now because she is unable to get adult supervision for our daughters.( that would have been my job)
The lost days translate into lost income. For the first time since we bought our home it appears we will miss a mortgage payment.

I am unsure how you can help, but I stumbled on this website in my desperate search for any solution.

You have being a light of hope for so many, I am hoping that you can shine a light on my path as well.

My wife is the petitioner: I am the beneficiary.
Case # LGS2014601062.

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:30am On Jul 01, 2015
adeworth1:
Angelic V.O thanks for your Good work ma. I and my son F2a LGS2014626031 went fon interview 25th and was Approve ma.just can't stop thanking you for d good job.pls ma I would like to know if our visa is printed and when will it be ready for pick up. God bless you ma

The visas have not yet been printed, but they're in the queue. Our focus over the weekend was on printing all the visas that had been stuck waiting since early June, but yours are up soon!

That said: Just letting y'all know, I have to go back to our normal policy now, so this is the last case I'll check for people. We've returned to normal processing, so there's no reason for me to check on individual cases in this public forum any more. If you need to know the status of your case, please e-mail LagosIV@state.gov. Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:35am On Jul 01, 2015
Koribe:
Good morning VO.
I am the beneficiary of an I601a waiver who traveled down an interview at the Lagos Consulate. My initial interview was scheduled for June 19, so I was among those affected the massive global computer glitch.
I arrived in Nigeria on June 13 to give adequate time for my medical examination hoping to return to the United States on June 24.
I received an email on June 15 rescheduling my interview for July 11.
I have literally lived on the state department's website travel.state. gov tracking the progress as consulates return online.

Per the state department's website, those with imminent travel needs are being given priority.
I have asked the scheduling department for an earlier date than July 11 as my family and I are already suffering irrecoverable losses due to the unexpected delay.
Unfortunately, all my attempts to convey to the scheduling department that my wife and family are suffering because of my protracted absence have been met with an inflexible response.
I was at the consulate on June 19 and witnessed a gentleman informing the applicants that ALL interviews for June 19 were rescheduled for July 11.

I am completely at my wits end, helplessly watching the fabric of my life unravel: My wife has had to miss 4 days of work now because she is unable to get adult supervision for our daughters.( that would have been my job)
The lost days translate into lost income. For the first time since we bought our home it appears we will miss a mortgage payment.

I am unsure how you can help, but I stumbled on this website in my desperate search for any solution.

You have being a light of hope for so many, I am hoping that you can shine a light on my path as well.

My wife is the petitioner: I am the beneficiary.
Case # LGS2014601062.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, thousands of people around the world are in the same situation. July 11 is indeed the earliest available appointment we can offer you. We regret the delay and have been working overtime to make sure the delay is not even longer.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Koribe: 10:50am On Jul 01, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Unfortunately, thousands of people around the world are in the same situation. July 11 is indeed the earliest available appointment we can offer you. We regret the delay and have been working overtime to make sure the delay is not even longer.

VO,
Thank you for your quick response.
I am unsure what the visa printing process is currently like, but is it reasonable to expect to pick up an approved visa on Tuesday July 14 if the interview holds on July 11.

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:57am On Jul 01, 2015
Koribe:

VO,
Thank you for your quick response.
I am unsure what the visa printing process is currently like, but is it reasonable to expect to pick up an approved visa on Tuesday July 14 if the interview holds on July 11.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, probably not. It generally takes five business days, if there are no technical or security-related delays in printing. We always encourage all visa applicants not to purchase tickets until they have taken physical custody of their printed visas.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by fiddodiddo: 11:29am On Jul 01, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Yes, it's always a good idea to record all the names used on the DS-260.

All official docs including police cert bear surname 1st name & 1 middle name. Two middle names were only used once in previous 5th passport. there's never been any name change. Passport office didn't include 2nd middle name when getting prev 4th passport. they said name was too long. since then been using just 1 middle name. birth cert has surname first name & 3 middle names. Still need to write this in other name used? I'm still confused. pls help. tnx
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Koribe: 11:34am On Jul 01, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Unfortunately, probably not. It generally takes five business days, if there are no technical or security-related delays in printing. We always encourage all visa applicants not to purchase tickets until they have taken physical custody of their printed visas.

VO,
Thank you for your prompt answer. Unfortunately I bought a 2 way ticket originating from the US.

Thank you for taking time to respond to my inquiries.

I hope you have a great day.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:25pm On Jul 01, 2015
fiddodiddo:

All official docs including police cert bear surname 1st name & 1 middle name. Two middle names were only used once in previous 5th passport. there's never been any name change. Passport office didn't include 2nd middle name when getting prev 4th passport. they said name was too long. since then been using just 1 middle name. birth cert has surname first name & 3 middle names. Still need to write this in other name used? I'm still confused. pls help. tnx

It is always a good idea to list all the variations of your name that you have ever used in your online application.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by adeworth1: 12:41pm On Jul 01, 2015
VisaOfficer:

The visas have not yet been printed, but they're in the queue. Our focus over the weekend was on printing all the visas that had been stuck waiting since early June, but yours are up soon!

That said: Just letting y'all know, I have to go back to our normal policy now, so this is the last case I'll check for people. We've returned to normal processing, so there's no reason for me to check on individual cases in this public forum any more. If you need to know the status of your case, please e-mail LagosIV@state.gov. Thanks!
THks a lot ma God bless your work.Remain blessed
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by onomee15: 1:28pm On Jul 01, 2015
Dear Visa Office;
My spouse filed an I-130 application for me about 5 months ago. I am however in Nigeria. What will be the next steps when that application is approved? I currently have a valid B1/B2 visa. Will I be able to travel and complete the process in the US on this visa or will I have to follow a series of procedures here in Nigeria? Thanks for your response.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Bolajibeckley: 1:52pm On Jul 01, 2015
Hello Visa officer, I applied for the B1/B2 this January 6 ,2015 and was denied the visa after delayed for over 6/7 hours , in the letter typed stated that I will not be consistent with the non immigrant visa ,also I don't have ties to my country . I am Single 34years old male , no kids , employed, With travel history , my father is a Citizen of the U.S by Naturalization , my trip was to visit my father he had been on dialysis for over 4yrs and he is about to have a surgery. Can I reapply? Pls what steps should i take now cause I will like to see my father , he cannot stay here due to his health condition ,we've tried that it's way too expensive and still dangerous for him , Thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:09pm On Jul 01, 2015
Bolajibeckley:
Hello Visa officer, I applied for the B1/B2 this January 6 ,2015 and was denied the visa after delayed for over 6/7 hours , in the letter typed stated that I will not be consistent with the non immigrant visa ,also I don't have ties to my country . I am Single 34years old male , no kids , employed, With travel history , my father is a Citizen of the U.S by Naturalization , my trip was to visit my father he had been on dialysis for over 4yrs and he is about to have a surgery. Can I reapply? Pls what steps should i take now cause I will like to see my father , he cannot stay here due to his health condition ,we've tried that it's way too expensive and still dangerous for him , Thank you

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:16pm On Jul 01, 2015
onomee15:
Dear Visa Office;
My spouse filed an I-130 application for me about 5 months ago. I am however in Nigeria. What will be the next steps when that application is approved? I currently have a valid B1/B2 visa. Will I be able to travel and complete the process in the US on this visa or will I have to follow a series of procedures here in Nigeria? Thanks for your response.

Is your spouse a U.S. citizen? If so, once the petition is approved, and when it is documentarily complete, you will be scheduled for the next available appointment date here in Lagos. (IR1, CR1 visa categories)

Is your spouse a Legal Permanent Resident? If so, you will need to wait until your case becomes current. Right now petitions filed on or before Nov. 8, 2013, are eligible to be scheduled for appointments. (F2A visa category)

You can travel on your B1/B2 visa in the meantime, and while in the U.S. on that visa, you can apply to adjust status. However, it's possible that USCIS may not approve your application. See http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/adjustment-status for more information.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by onomee15: 2:24pm On Jul 01, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Is your spouse a U.S. citizen? If so, once the petition is approved, and when it is documentarily complete, you will be scheduled for the next available appointment date here in Lagos. (IR1, CR1 visa categories)

Is your spouse a Legal Permanent Resident? If so, you will need to wait until your case becomes current. Right now petitions filed on or before Nov. 8, 2013, are eligible to be scheduled for appointments. (F2A visa category)

You can travel on your B1/B2 visa in the meantime, and while in the U.S. on that visa, you can apply to adjust status. However, it's possible that USCIS may not approve your application. See http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/adjustment-status for more information.

Yes, spouse is a US citizen. The application was sent in using our US address. Do I need to do an address change or simply travel out there once approval is documentarily complete on my B1/B2 to complete the process?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:27pm On Jul 01, 2015
onomee15:

Yes, spouse is a US citizen. The application was sent in using our US address. Do I need to do an address change or simply travel out there once approval is documentarily complete on my B1/B2 to complete the process?

Please review http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/adjustment-status for more information.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by karismatikay: 2:55pm On Jul 01, 2015
Good afternoon Hon.VO,I'm an employee who earns 250 thousands monthly...I've been to Ghana and Dubai for holidays in the previous years...I intend going to the US for this upcoming holiday..How do I go about this?

Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:13pm On Jul 01, 2015
karismatikay:
Good afternoon Hon.VO,I'm an employee who earns 250 thousands monthly...I've been to Ghana and Dubai for holidays in the previous years...I intend going to the US for this upcoming holiday..How do I go about this?

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Sunshine721(f): 3:59pm On Jul 01, 2015
Hello everyone
Am new here, my case has been completed on 16th June, nvc asked us to wait for interview notification date which we are but the problem is, my police report will expire on the 8th of August, please is there a way that I can get a an interview date in July?
I am CR-1.
Thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by 9jaStar: 4:02pm On Jul 01, 2015
Hello VO,

Thanks for being here.

I'm hoping my question fits in here.

My Immigrant Visa petition is being processed. But I have a conference to attend in the USA in August, plus I'd like to go visit my family (wife and two kids, all US citizens) at Christmas.

My non-immigrant visa expired last August.

Can I apply for a renewal of my B1/B2? Or will the fact that I have an immigrant visa in process mean I can't apply or won't be issued?

Thanks again
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:05pm On Jul 01, 2015
Sunshine721:
Hello everyone
Am new here, my case has been completed on 16th June, nvc asked us to wait for interview notification date which we are but the problem is, my police report will expire on the 8th of August, please is there a way that I can get a an interview date in July?
I am CR-1.
Thank you

We are completely, completely booked in July.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:06pm On Jul 01, 2015
9jaStar:
Hello VO,

Thanks for being here.

My Immigrant Visa petition is being processed. But I have a conference to attend in the USA in August, plus I'd like to go visit my family (wife and two kids, all US citizens) at Christmas.

My non-immigrant visa expired last August.

Can I apply for a renewal of my B1/B2? Or will the fact that I have an immigrant visa in process mean I can't apply or won't be issued?

Thanks again

This is technically a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening . In fact, I could swear I just saw them address a very similar issue over there.... Anyway, you can apply, yes. Whether you'll be issued depends on whether you can convince the officer that you intend to use the non-immigrant visa for its intended purpose.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by 9jaStar: 4:09pm On Jul 01, 2015
VisaOfficer:

This is technically a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening . In fact, I just saw them address a very similar issue over there....

Thanks.

Wasn't quite sure where it fit.

I appreciate the prompt response.

Heading over there now
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:10pm On Jul 01, 2015
9jaStar:

Thanks.

Wasn't quite sure where it fit.

I appreciate the prompt response.

Heading over there now

Well, then I couldn't find it over there, so I modified my response to include: Anyway, you can apply, yes. Whether you'll be issued depends on whether you can convince the officer that you intend to use the non-immigrant visa for its intended purpose.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jul 01, 2015
Sunshine721:
Hello everyone
I am CR-1.
Thank you
If ur PCC is not up to a year...don't worry. It is still OK...
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:37pm On Jul 01, 2015
Sunshine721: Hello everyone
I am CR-1.
Thank you
ferdimako:

Good point, Ferdimako! For immigration purposes, police certificates are valid for a year after the date of issuance. Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by imnuflawal: 6:05pm On Jul 01, 2015
adeworth1:
Angelic V.O thanks for your Good work ma. I and my son F2a LGS2014626031 went fon interview 25th and was Approve ma.just can't stop thanking you for d good job.pls ma I would like to know if our visa is printed and when will it be ready for pick up. God bless you ma

Congrats 2 u, am also on d same visa category, Pls hw long did d whole processin take? am stil on waitin at NVC
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by 9jaStar: 10:11pm On Jul 01, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Well, then I couldn't find it over there, so I modified my response to include: Anyway, you can apply, yes. Whether you'll be issued depends on whether you can convince the officer that you intend to use the non-immigrant visa for its intended purpose.

Haha.

Thanks a lot.

Searched all 34 pages over there and couldn't find it either. Asked the question there again and didn't get an answer. But seeing as you'd pointed out that it was their brief, I didn't want to come back here and bother you with it again.

So you can imagine my surprise (and deep appreciation) at your response.

Can't thank you enough
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by kobe79: 10:26pm On Jul 01, 2015
ferdimako:

are u the VO??
where is that moderator?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by adeolu0510: 12:00am On Jul 02, 2015
Hello VO,
Please, is NVC's system problems sorted yet? I'm still unable to pay my kids' iv fee and fill out their Ds 260 after weeks of waiting. I've emailed them but no response and I read online that the technical issue has been fixed, how true is this, please.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 12:02am On Jul 02, 2015
hello VO ...
Applied for f3 visa since 2003 ..
petitioned by father in law .. my wife being the beneficiary .. To be serious am fed up ..
but around April we submitted our passport and other documents . They emailed to have received it ... Since then have not received any news ...Please when will we scheduled for an interview .. We were told to wait for 30days ..Please how long will it take for us to get our visa
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by blinkdr: 2:54am On Jul 02, 2015
greeting i just want to know how long does administrative processing take all tru last week my case was updated everyday is that a good thing i am in the second month
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:28am On Jul 02, 2015
adeolu0510:
Hello VO,
Please, is NVC's system problems sorted yet? I'm still unable to pay my kids' iv fee and fill out their Ds 260 after weeks of waiting. I've emailed them but no response and I read online that the technical issue has been fixed, how true is this, please.

The technical issues are being resolved, but they're not all completely resolved yet. The official language is: "We continue to work to address remaining systems issues as quickly as possible. Restoration efforts are ongoing, but posts should continue to see improvement." One of those issues is the online DS-260. If you just can't fill it out before the interview, you can use the attached DS-230 (see below), and pay the interview fee in person on the appointment date instead of online beforehand.

We will not be accepting the DS-230s forever. I'll let Nairaland know when the DS-260 issue is fixed, at which time we will go back to that method. In the meantime, I hope this helps.

(1) (2) (3) ... (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.