Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,442 members, 7,819,634 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:39 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (208) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (678733 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) (211) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by k12015: 6:41am On Aug 31, 2015
My fiance was recently interviewed for a K1 visa in another West African US embassy and he was denied the visa. They said the main reason is due to the date of birth on his passport. He had applied for a visitor's visa a few years ago. At the time his passport had the wrong birthdate on it, which was a mistake that was made when printed and he wasn't able to get it changed in time for his interview back then. Since then he changed it to the correct birthdate but he was still denied the visa for the K1. Are there any steps we should take without having to go through a whole appeal process and to ensure he can still get the visa?
Thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ayoade0505: 11:05am On Aug 31, 2015
Hello VO,
I got my birth certificate three years ago from my home town local government, I hope it will be acceptable for Interview?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by MarieEyre: 11:08am On Aug 31, 2015
Call the Children's Practice if you need any info from them. Regards.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Yetunde2507: 11:30am On Aug 31, 2015
Hi VO,

I got a B1/B2 visa in January 2013 with the intention of going on vacation in May 2013. However, i realised shortly afterwards that i was pregnant and decided to combine my vacation with birth tourism in August 2013. I recently applied to renew my visa via dropbox and was called in for an interview wherein i was denied on the basis that i said i was going to maimi for 10 days but went to texas for a longer period.

With respect to strong ties in Nigeria, i can prove that i have one as i earn almost a N1mn monthly and my family are based in Nigeria. All my medical bills were paid for in cash while in USA. My dilemma is that i was not aware of the need to notify the embassy if there was a change of location as i assumed that i could use the visa to travel anywhere within the US. Is there any way to remedy the situation as i am due to attend an interview next week for medical and would like to be assessed based on my current situation.

Many thanks for your anticipated response.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by winnie123: 12:05pm On Aug 31, 2015
Good day Vo,

At what point are we to do a finger printing?

Will that be required during the interview?

If i have a police report from the police command of the location i stay, will there be need for finger print again.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by MarieEyre: 12:14pm On Aug 31, 2015
Hello VO again undecided,

My birth certificate reads Ada Jane Obi (not actual names). Ada as first name, Jane as second name and Obi as last name. However my passport and every other subsequent documents read Jane Ada Obi. Will this pose a problem at my interview. If it will, do I apply for an attestation letter of birth from the NPC and put my names in the order as it appears in my passport. Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Man27: 12:40pm On Aug 31, 2015
Thanks for the swift response. My wife and I have been together for almost 8 years and married for 4years. We have several pictures and family and friends to prove our relationship has been bonafide from the very beginning. I also understand your analysis. Now the question is are we to wait till they get back to us whenever or can we contact he USCIS to maybe quicken the process? Your thoughts would be highly appreciated ma.

Many thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by lanrayx: 1:08pm On Aug 31, 2015
I have a question to ask, if an international students gets to the US with a students visa for a masters degree after completing is masters with a good degree can he be allowed to work and leave in the US
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by blinkdr: 2:10pm On Aug 31, 2015
Thanks for the good work you are doing, I want to know what's the likely time frame for admin processing it's been over 3months for me and over a month I had field investigators at my house sending an email don't work coz it seems all the do is track it on the ceac website, it's really not helpful I would want to knw if u can check my case for me LGS2014846033
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jinggles(f): 2:43pm On Aug 31, 2015
VisaOfficer:

You can use it as a mailing address... but no visa will be issued until you are domiciled in the U.S.
Thank you!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by medeay(m): 9:35pm On Aug 31, 2015
VisaOfficer:

No. Each party to the petition must provide his or her original signature where required.
so, can i sign it and scan it to my wife?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:28pm On Aug 31, 2015
k12015:
My fiance was recently interviewed for a K1 visa in another West African US embassy and he was denied the visa. They said the main reason is due to the date of birth on his passport. He had applied for a visitor's visa a few years ago. At the time his passport had the wrong birthdate on it, which was a mistake that was made when printed and he wasn't able to get it changed in time for his interview back then. Since then he changed it to the correct birthdate but he was still denied the visa for the K1. Are there any steps we should take without having to go through a whole appeal process and to ensure he can still get the visa?
Thank you

It sounds like there were likely some other factors in the decision not to issue. That said, you're free to file a new petition on your fiance's behalf.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:29pm On Aug 31, 2015
ayoade0505:
Hello VO,
I got my birth certificate three years ago from my home town local government, I hope it will be acceptable for Interview?

It should be acceptable, although the officer will likely ask why it was issued so recently (instead of closer to your birth). That's a bit unusual. Most birth certificates are issued soon after a person is born.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:30pm On Aug 31, 2015
Yetunde2507:
Hi VO,

I got a B1/B2 visa in January 2013 with the intention of going on vacation in May 2013. However, i realised shortly afterwards that i was pregnant and decided to combine my vacation with birth tourism in August 2013. I recently applied to renew my visa via dropbox and was called in for an interview wherein i was denied on the basis that i said i was going to maimi for 10 days but went to texas for a longer period.

With respect to strong ties in Nigeria, i can prove that i have one as i earn almost a N1mn monthly and my family are based in Nigeria. All my medical bills were paid for in cash while in USA. My dilemma is that i was not aware of the need to notify the embassy if there was a change of location as i assumed that i could use the visa to travel anywhere within the US. Is there any way to remedy the situation as i am due to attend an interview next week for medical and would like to be assessed based on my current situation.

Many thanks for your anticipated response.

This is a question for the non-immigrant visa thread. Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:31pm On Aug 31, 2015
winnie123:
Good day Vo,

At what point are we to do a finger printing?

Will that be required during the interview?

If i have a police report from the police command of the location i stay, will there be need for finger print again.

The beneficiary will be fingerprinted in the Consulate at the time of the initial interview. That's a separate process from the fingerprinting that is done as part of the police clearance process.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:33pm On Aug 31, 2015
MarieEyre:
Hello VO again undecided,

My birth certificate reads Ada Jane Obi (not actual names). Ada as first name, Jane as second name and Obi as last name. However my passport and every other subsequent documents read Jane Ada Obi. Will this pose a problem at my interview. If it will, do I apply for an attestation letter of birth from the NPC and put my names in the order as it appears in my passport. Thank you.

That shouldn't pose a major problem, although it may lead to additional questions. Officers are aware that name order can be flexible.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:34pm On Aug 31, 2015
Man27:
Thanks for the swift response. My wife and I have been together for almost 8 years and married for 4years. We have several pictures and family and friends to prove our relationship has been bonafide from the very beginning. I also understand your analysis. Now the question is are we to wait till they get back to us whenever or can we contact he USCIS to maybe quicken the process? Your thoughts would be highly appreciated ma.

Many thanks

It's best to wait until USCIS contacts you and makes a formal request for your response to the officer's findings. They will have specific questions for you to address that might not be apparent to you beforehand.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:36pm On Aug 31, 2015
lanrayx:
I have a question to ask, if an international students gets to the US with a students visa for a masters degree after completing is masters with a good degree can he be allowed to work and leave in the US

This question should be directed to the non-immigrant visa thread. This thread is for immigrant visa questions. Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:37pm On Aug 31, 2015
blinkdr:
Thanks for the good work you are doing, I want to know what's the likely time frame for admin processing it's been over 3months for me and over a month I had field investigators at my house sending an email don't work coz it seems all the do is track it on the ceac website, it's really not helpful I would want to knw if u can check my case for me LGS2014846033

I am no longer in Lagos and cannot check particular cases. It's possible that the officer is still waiting for information from another source in addition to the field investigation.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:38pm On Aug 31, 2015
medeay:
so, can i sign it and scan it to my wife?

No. An original signature is the legal requirement -- not a copy or a scan.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:43pm On Aug 31, 2015
Please note that I am answering questions with my thumbs on an e-reader in the evening (U.S. time) after the day's training. My replies this week are going to be both terse and also late in the (Nigerian) day. Bear with me! I'll be way more conversational when I have access to a real computer keyboard again.

Until tomorrow!

5 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by MarieEyre: 4:46pm On Sep 01, 2015
Thank you VO. smiley

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by halaphilip: 8:27pm On Sep 01, 2015
Hello VO,

I am due to travel to the US next week. I got my Police Certificate in April 2014. Do i need to get another one before i travel?

Thanks for your prompt response.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by k12015: 8:54pm On Sep 01, 2015
Thank you VO, for your response. So we would have to re- do the whole 8 month process of applying for the K1 visa again?? How can we ensure that he doesn't run into this issue again with the birthdate Should he be called for an interview then? Is there any way that he can just submit the necessary documents now to show proof of birthdate in order to clear up this issue?

Thank you for your help
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:25pm On Sep 01, 2015
halaphilip:
Hello VO,

I am due to travel to the US next week. I got my Police Certificate in April 2014. Do i need to get another one before i travel?

Thanks for your prompt response.

As long as the visa has been issued, you don't need a new police certificate. Those need to be valid on the day the visa is issued, but it's fine if they expire after that.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:27pm On Sep 01, 2015
k12015:
Thank you VO, for your response. So we would have to re- do the whole 8 month process of applying for the K1 visa again?? How can we ensure that he doesn't run into this issue again with the birthdate Should he be called for an interview then? Is there any way that he can just submit the necessary documents now to show proof of birthdate in order to clear up this issue?

Thank you for your help

I think your best course of action is to address these questions to the Embassy where the interview took place. We all uphold the same laws and policies, but procedures may vary from post to post.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by veleta: 7:56am On Sep 02, 2015
Dear VO,
Am highly impressed with your selfless contributions to this thread.God will always take care of your needs in Jesus Name Amen.
Pls I need your help concerning ds 160 although its not yourpurview but I know you won't turn me down.
I have a cousin I and my family would be visiting in the US.
In the column for( Relationship of US Contact), should my husband fill Relative,even though she is not related to him, or he should fill "Other", Also in the column for( USRelative) should he fill No or Yes.
Thanks for your ever prompt response
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by hajj123(m): 12:52pm On Sep 02, 2015
hello VO,please where am going to direct or send the letter of invitation to my woman in US to?

(1) (2) (3) ... (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) (211) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.