Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,982 members, 7,817,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:20 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (210) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (678442 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (207) (208) (209) (210) (211) (212) (213) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by deekaykay: 4:39pm On Sep 03, 2015
Hi Wonderful VO

I must confess.. this forum has calmed my sleepless nights. Calling the number on customer care service has not been fruitful, and the emails don't get replied on time. Whoever came up with this idea has done a wonderful job of easing our anxieties.. and kudos to the VOs keeping the flag flying! Una well done..

Ok.. that said, I'm warming up for my interview and I think I'm better armed with information.. say 80 percent. Lol.

Dear VO, my fiancee is sending down the affidavit of support. It should get to me 4 days before my interview. However, we just would like to know if there are other documents we might be needing that she cld send alongside the affidavit of support.

I hope my questions aren't spilling off boundaries.. grin

Thanks VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by prihnce: 7:04pm On Sep 03, 2015
hello VO. my dad is a u.s citizen and he applied for my siblings and i to come join him.. when he submitted the petition my sister was 20 but now she is 21.. we hear the age freezes once one applies, how true is that nd will it affect our chances.. we have gotten a date for the interview.. nd I ve done my medicals, will we be told the result of the medical at the hospital.. we have all my document already.. we just want to know if there is something extra we can add to increase my chances.. we have pictures with our dad from when we were very little, how well will this help nd how many do you think we need? finally, we have no idea what will be asked tho am not really bothered bout that bcus we know our dad very well(am guessing most of the questions will be about our dad, right?) and please VO tell us 3 important questions you think will be asked.. thank you..how should we act in the persence of the interviewing officer.. and finally my dad recently relocated(still U.S) nd in the petition he filled in his old address, can we tell the interviewing officer he just moved then explain? what do you think we should? thanks a bunch
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by amamazed: 11:18pm On Sep 03, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Good morning! The F1 visa is strictly for unmarried persons. If you get married before you enter the United States, one of two things will happen. First, if immigration officials find out that you are married, you may not be allowed to enter the U.S. You'd be turned away until your case becomes current in your proper visa category, F3 (married children of U.S. citizens).

If you manage to enter without telling anyone about your change in marital status, and then file for your spouse, the facts will come out when you apply for citizenship, and you will probably not be allowed to naturalize. So you'll be an LPR forever, subject to deportation if you break the law, unable to file for your siblings or parents.

Don't let him pressure you. Think it through and make the decision that's right for you.

Pls Vo, how soon am I allowed to return to get married after entering the US?

Thanks Ma.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:49am On Sep 04, 2015
bodescous:
Hi the indefatigable VO, it's been a while I talked on this forum. How are you enjoying your new assignment? I always pray for you encounter joy in your endeavors as you have impacted so much on this forum. My question goes thus:When is the new bulletin coming out? I have been waiting patiently as my wife filed for me on Nov 2014 . my petition got approved may 2015 and I got a letter with a case number LGS 2015662....... On June 29,2015. Waiting for further instructions from NVC. My concerns is that on the approved letter sent to me they indicated May 05,2015 as priority date whereas I think my priority date should be November 2014 the petition was filed. Pls enlighten me more on this. Thank you.

Greetings! Hope all is well with you!

A new bulletin comes out at the beginning of every month. Google "visa bulletin" and you'll find September's.

Sounds like you should e-mail NVC and ask them to double-check your priority date. It's possible that there was a data entry error somehow.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:51am On Sep 04, 2015
marokey:
Good morning CO,

I am a US petitioner for my Nigerian husband and we are currently at the NVC stage of processing. All documents have been submitted and I expect a case complete any day.

My husband has lived in a couple different countries and we had to secure Police Clearance certificates from those countries. Malawi proved to be the most expensive - $400. In addition to the exorbitant fee, we had to send the money via Western Union and trust that the Sergeant we were dealing with wouldn't run off with our money. In the end, he did his country proud by processing our application and issuing the Police Clearance certificate. However, once my husband received the certificate, we found that it was LAMINATED. My question is will this certificate be accepted at the interview in Lagos in its laminated state? We do not have another $400 to pay for a new certificate and it was mailed to my husband laminated.

Please advise.

Thank you,

Mar

Greetings! A laminated police certificate will be fine. We've seen Malawi do that with other applicants. No wahala. smiley

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:55am On Sep 04, 2015
debbyAde:
Hello VO,how are you today?
I called nvc two days ago for our case number and I was given but nvc don't have my email address to send me any instructions so I don't knw if I should call back to give them my email address or I should go on with download of the packets i'll need, payment of visa fee, appointment schedules and medical reports( it's a k1 petition) pls can you reply me with the link where the documents are not expired,is ds160 the right thing to fill online ?and pls do you have an idea when the petition is likely to be sent to Lagos since I have the case number already. Thanks a lot, in anticipation for your response.

If you have a case number, the petition should be on its way to post. When it arrives, post will contact the petitioner with instructions for making the appointment. You can find the instructions at the U.S. Embassy to Nigeria website, but don't make an appointment until post notifies you that the petition has arrived. Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:56am On Sep 04, 2015
Desakano:
Good day Vise Officer, could you please give me a possible clue to what could be holding up the issuing of my visa. My interview was on Aug'21, i was told to pick up the visa the following Friday, but until this date, there's no update and the visa isn't ready for pick up. Could it be mere delay or something is wrong? Please, your reply would be appreciated.

I have no way of knowing. Please e-mail post and ask for an update. Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:59am On Sep 04, 2015
deekaykay:
Hi Wonderful VO

I must confess.. this forum has calmed my sleepless nights. Calling the number on customer care service has not been fruitful, and the emails don't get replied on time. Whoever came up with this idea has done a wonderful job of easing our anxieties.. and kudos to the VOs keeping the flag flying! Una well done..

Ok.. that said, I'm warming up for my interview and I think I'm better armed with information.. say 80 percent. Lol.

Dear VO, my fiancee is sending down the affidavit of support. It should get to me 4 days before my interview. However, we just would like to know if there are other documents we might be needing that she cld send alongside the affidavit of support.

I hope my questions aren't spilling off boundaries.. grin

Thanks VO

I'm glad this forum is helpful! smiley The instructions to the AOS should remind the petitioner to send the most recent three years' worth of tax documents as well. And that should do it. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:05am On Sep 04, 2015
prihnce:
hello VO. my dad is a u.s citizen and he applied for my siblings and i to come join him.. when he submitted the petition my sister was 20 but now she is 21.. we hear the age freezes once one applies, how true is that nd will it affect our chances.. we have gotten a date for the interview.. nd I ve done my medicals, will we be told the result of the medical at the hospital.. we have all my document already.. we just want to know if there is something extra we can add to increase my chances.. we have pictures with our dad from when we were very little, how well will this help nd how many do you think we need? finally, we have no idea what will be asked tho am not really bothered bout that bcus we know our dad very well(am guessing most of the questions will be about our dad, right?) and please VO tell us 3 important questions you think will be asked.. thank you..how should we act in the persence of the interviewing officer.. and finally my dad recently relocated(still U.S) nd in the petition he filled in his old address, can we tell the interviewing officer he just moved then explain? what do you think we should? thanks a bunch

Lots of good questions here! First off, if your father was a U.S. citizen when he filed the petition, your sister is and will always be an IR2 (unless she gets married). IR2s remain IR2s regardless of their age, unless they get married and become F3s.

Photos are good, especially if they span several years.

I don't give hints about questions. But just tell the truth and you'll be fine. Really! You don't need to act a special way; just be yourself and the officer will surely find you as charming as I do.

You can explain about your father's new address at the interview.

Good luck!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:08am On Sep 04, 2015
amamazed:

Pls Vo, how soon am I allowed to return to get married after entering the US?

Thanks Ma.

If you enter the U.S. on your F1 tomorrow, you can return on the next flight and get married this weekend. smiley It's best to wait until you've received your actual green card before you travel, of course, but technically you'll be an LPR as soon as you enter the United States.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by dammie12: 5:40am On Sep 04, 2015
Hi VO, thanks for the amazing job you do here.
A case that is deemed complete by NVC has not been sent to the post but the beneficiary in this case is pregnant and will likely put to bed before the interview date. With the present rate of scheduling cases for interviewing, she's expecting to be scheduled for interview in about 2-3months. What's your advice in terms of what she should do. Should the beneficiary wait till she attends the interview and come with the baby or she should sent the baby's document to NVC to add to the case (thinking this might extend the timeframe). Which of these path seems shorter in terms of the time it takes?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Titilayodeji13(m): 8:06am On Sep 04, 2015
Salutations VisaOfficer, God will crown your effort .

It's been 16days we heard from the NVC
and here is a sample of the letter we got.

Dear Sir/Madam:
All documentation necessary to complete the
National Visa Center’s processing of your case has
been received. As soon as an interview date has
been scheduled, the applicant, petitioner and
attorney (if applicable) will be notified. The
applicant should NOT make any travel
arrangements, sell property, or give up
employment until the US Embassy or Consulate
General has issued a visa. The US Embassy or
Consulate General may require additional
documentation at the time of the interview.

Does this mean, Our case is complete and there is no required documents again?

furthermore, the police character certificate I have was done
June 2015 and is valid for 3months, must I come with other other if this expires before the interview

also, I would like to know how priority date works, will an interview be scheduled prior to the when priority date becomes current or when it is current?

Also, I have read from many threads the kind of documents needed in the course of interview, please will like to hear from you the expected document one needs to ve in the interview apart from the one stated in interview letter. Also to this, will I need the Original copy of AOS of my wife and the joint sponsor on the day of interview or a photocopy?

Our Priority date is April 21,2014... is our interview sure for this year. Cos we planning to have our second Year wedding anniversary together dis October.

thanks in anticipation.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Desakano: 8:34am On Sep 04, 2015
Thank you for your reply ma'am. Could you help me with how to e-mail the POST? Number provided on the paper does not connect ever since. I have called this number too 014406218 and the ladies there seems not to have any information pertaining passport status. I sent e-mail to LagosIV@state.gov, but not reply yet. All efforts from my wife and I to have update yielded no result, to be honest it's tiring when you know nothing about what's happening. Thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Titilayodeji13(m): 8:39am On Sep 04, 2015

Dear Sir/Madam:

Does this mean, Our case is complete and there is no required documents again? and prior to this we got a confirmation letter which stated JULY 17,2015 as confirmation date, what does this confirmation date mean?

June 2015 and is valid for 3months, must I come with other other if this expires before the interview

also, I would like to know how priority date works, will an interview be scheduled prior to the when priority date becomes current or when it is current?

Also, I have read from many threads the kind of documents needed in the course of interview, please will like to hear from you the expected document one needs to ve in the interview apart from the one stated in interview letter. Also to this, will I need the Original copy of AOS of my wife and the joint sponsor on the day of interview or a photocopy?

Our Priority date is April 21,2014... is our interview sure for this year. Cos we planning to have our wedding anniversary together dis October.

thanks in anticipation.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ayoade0505: 8:56am On Sep 04, 2015
Hi VO,
we did our traditional wedding May and she got her visa July, our court wedding October same year(2013), and my wife travelled to US two weeks after our court wedding with immigrant visa, though, she was already pregnant then(3months).
She petitioned for me two months ago. I hope the sequence of events between us will be logical during interview considering the facts she was pregnant before traveling?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by blinkdr: 11:08am On Sep 04, 2015
I have finally been called to drop My passport at DHL Muri okunola my question now is how long do I have to wait to get it back
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by olukenny12: 12:01pm On Sep 04, 2015
hello

pls if am too call for appointment. for the dna result. will it takes a week before I will be ask to come, or just a days?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by marokey: 12:36pm On Sep 04, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Greetings! A laminated police certificate will be fine. We've seen Malawi do that with other applicants. No wahala. smiley

Greetings VO! What a relief! Thank you so much for taking the time.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Fishout(m): 3:15pm On Sep 04, 2015
V.O,pls l want u to help me out on this matter,my in-law Sent invitation to me to visit him in us which is B1/B2 bt during d interviewed with consular officer,l was denied d VISA due to fact that l can't hear her (consular officer) well..so my question is dat if l re-apply for another one ,can l request from them to let me answer my questions in my language(Yoruba,). Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:00pm On Sep 04, 2015
dammie12:
Hi VO, thanks for the amazing job you do here.
A case that is deemed complete by NVC has not been sent to the post but the beneficiary in this case is pregnant and will likely put to bed before the interview date. With the present rate of scheduling cases for interviewing, she's expecting to be scheduled for interview in about 2-3months. What's your advice in terms of what she should do. Should the beneficiary wait till she attends the interview and come with the baby or she should sent the baby's document to NVC to add to the case (thinking this might extend the timeframe). Which of these path seems shorter in terms of the time it takes?

There's not enough information here to answer this question. What is her visa category?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:02pm On Sep 04, 2015
Titilayodeji13:

Dear Sir/Madam:

Does this mean, Our case is complete and there is no required documents again? and prior to this we got a confirmation letter which stated JULY 17,2015 as confirmation date, what does this confirmation date mean?

Our Priority date is April 21,2014... is our interview sure for this year. Cos we planning to have our wedding anniversary together dis October.

thanks in anticipation.

I'll answer this one when I get home tonight -- lots of questions and my battery is going!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:03pm On Sep 04, 2015
Desakano:
Thank you for your reply ma'am. Could you help me with how to e-mail the POST? Number provided on the paper does not connect ever since. I have called this number too 014406218 and the ladies there seems not to have any information pertaining passport status. I sent e-mail to LagosIV@state.gov, but not reply yet. All efforts from my wife and I to have update yielded no result, to be honest it's tiring when you know nothing about what's happening. Thank you

LagosIV@state.gov is the correct address. It may take a few days for a response.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:04pm On Sep 04, 2015
ayoade0505:
Hi VO,
we did our traditional wedding May and she got her visa July, our court wedding October same year(2013), and my wife travelled to US two weeks after our court wedding with immigrant visa, though, she was already pregnant then(3months).
She petitioned for me two months ago. I hope the sequence of events between us will be logical during interview considering the facts she was pregnant before traveling?

Sounds logical, yes. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:06pm On Sep 04, 2015
blinkdr:
I have finally been called to drop My passport at DHL Muri okunola my question now is how long do I have to wait to get it back

My guess is within two weeks, but it's hard to say without being involved in your case.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:08pm On Sep 04, 2015
olukenny12:
hello

pls if am too call for appointment. for the dna result. will it takes a week before I will be ask to come, or just a days?

It depends whether anything else is missing from your case, and when the next available appointment is.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:08pm On Sep 04, 2015
Fishout:
V.O,pls l want u to help me out on this matter,my in-law Sent invitation to me to visit him in us which is B1/B2 bt during d interviewed with consular officer,l was denied d VISA due to fact that l can't hear her (consular officer) well..so my question is dat if l re-apply for another one ,can l request from them to let me answer my questions in my language(Yoruba,). Thanks

This is a question for the non-immigrant visa thread. Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Desakano: 5:06pm On Sep 04, 2015
Thank you Ma'am. Finally, I received a reply from LagosIV@state.gov saying "Your application is still being processed; sometimes some applications take longer than anticipated".
I have also tracked the status, for once since Aug' 27 the update changes from READY to ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESSING. Now, i'm wondering what that means. Please, help explain this; there is hope i guess.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by dammie12: 5:13pm On Sep 04, 2015
VisaOfficer:

There's not enough information here to answer this question. What is her visa category?
Her visa category is F2A. The case is complete according to NVC and the priority date will be current very soon. Let me know what other information you'll like to know.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by olukenny12: 5:33pm On Sep 04, 2015
pls I don't really understand you, what I meant is it that will it take up to a week my appointment schedule day we commence or not up to that?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by winnie123: 9:45pm On Sep 04, 2015
Dear vo,

For my case AOS and tax documents have been sent to NVC, is there any need of bring it to the interview again?

VisaOfficer:

I'm glad this forum is helpful! smiley The instructions to the AOS should remind the petitioner to send the most recent three years' worth of tax documents as well. And that should do it. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:28am On Sep 05, 2015
Titilayodeji13:

Dear Sir/Madam:

The July 17 confirmation date is simply the date of the letter confirming that NVC had received your file; the date really isn't important to your case. The letter that you quoted means that NVC is ready to schedule your case for an interview when the case becomes current, but the Embassy or Consulate General may require additional documentation at the time of the interview.

For our (immigration) purposes, the police certificate is valid for one year. However, you should bring a police certificate with you to the interview even if you have already submitted one to NVC.

Interviews are only scheduled when the priority date is current, not before. The priority date is the date on which the petition was officially filed with USCIS. You can monitor your case's priority date at http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/law-and-policy/bulletin.html .

Please review http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas.html to see the documents you will need. If an AOS was submitted to NVC, you will only need to submit a new one if the one submitted does not demonstrate sufficient income to support you in the United States.

It depends what your visa category is. If it's IR1 or CR1, your case is current and you should be scheduled for an interview as soon as one is available. If your category is F2A, only cases with petitions filed on or before March 1, 2014, are currently eligible to be interviewed. I don't know how quickly that cut-off date is likely to move in 2015.

thanks in anticipation.

Hope this helps!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:30am On Sep 05, 2015
Desakano:
Thank you Ma'am. Finally, I received a reply from LagosIV@state.gov saying "Your application is still being processed; sometimes some applications take longer than anticipated".
I have also tracked the status, for once since Aug' 27 the update changes from READY to ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESSING. Now, i'm wondering what that means. Please, help explain this; there is hope i guess.

There are many reasons why a case might go to administrative processing. Usually, it means that the officer has discovered a new piece of information that he or she must review before a decision can be made. In most cases, that doesn't take very long, but sometimes it can delay a case considerably. Feel free to e-mail LagosIV@state.gov and request an update every week or so if you don't see an update on the website soon.

(1) (2) (3) ... (207) (208) (209) (210) (211) (212) (213) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.