Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,656 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:28 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (46) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (678399 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:18am On Oct 02, 2014
islet: If I come for the interview without the supporting documents. Then come drop off the documents at most two hours later, will it jeopardize the result of the interview?

Well, we can't issue the visa without the documents... but it won't jeopardize your case.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Bobbieydeey: 11:39am On Oct 02, 2014
VO one of my friend would be going for interview tomorrow though there's a little problem,he stammers a little too much but he has complete legit doc,hope the vo that would interview him won't be vexed when he takes time to answer .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tonyphil: 2:07pm On Oct 02, 2014
Helo VO,
Just got bck from the embassy...I was denied...the consular says my "wife" should have petitioned for spousal visa instead of fiance visa..
All we did was a traditional introduction ceremony which her family came from the USA to attend...
I plan to appeal...what do u think...thank you for ur support
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:07pm On Oct 02, 2014
Bobbieydeey: VO one of my friend would be going for interview tomorrow though there's a little problem,he stammers a little too much but he has complete legit doc,hope the vo that would interview him won't be vexed when he takes time to answer .

We can be patient when necessary. No wahala.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:16pm On Oct 02, 2014
tonyphil: Helo VO,
Just got bck from the embassy...I was denied...the consular says my "wife" should have petitioned for spousal visa instead of fiance visa..
All we did was a traditional introduction ceremony which her family came from the USA to attend...
I plan to appeal...what do u think...thank you for ur support

I've read the officer's notes and I agree with the conclusion that your ceremony constitutes a traditional marriage. There is also independent evidence that the petitioner in this case refers to you as her husband, so it will be difficult to convince us that you're not married. The petition will be returned to USCIS with a memo recommending that it be revoked; since it's a K petition with a short period of validity, USCIS will probably close the case without contacting the petitioner. I'd advise the petitioner to file the I-130, Petition for Alien Spouse.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:24pm On Oct 02, 2014
KweenCee: Hi VO,
Please does your office still process K3 Visa?Is it still a valid form Visa?Thanks.

KweenCee, I just saw this question from you on another thread:

KweenCee: Hi guys,please i need an answer to dis question.
If we do our church wedding and apply for a fiancee visa,is there any way d embassy here will find out that we did our church wedding?Is there any background check that they will use and confirm that?

Do you really want to take the chance that we'll catch you being dishonest about your marital status in an attempt to circumvent U.S. immigration law? That sounds like a permanent ineligibility under INA 212(a)(6)(C)(i), material misrepresentation. I would strongly advise you not to look for shortcuts.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Bobbieydeey: 2:38pm On Oct 02, 2014
VisaOfficer:

oh alright thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DobraDobra: 2:38pm On Oct 02, 2014
[quote author=VisaOfficer]

I've read the officer's notes and I agree with the conclusion that your ceremony constitutes a traditional marriage. There is also independent evidence that the petitioner in this case refers to you as her husband, so it will be difficult to convince us that you're not married. The petition will be returned to USCIS with a memo recommending that it be revoked; since it's a K petition with a short period of validity, USCIS will probably close the case without contacting the petitioner. I'd advise the petitioner to file the I-130, Petition for Alien Spouse.

Goodafternoon VO I hope d work is getting less now since we are beyound sept 30. Pls inrefrence to d above does family introduction where d parents and few sibblings just sit around to know each other constitut a traditional marriage at d embassy? Where there is no paper document to sho marriage. And I think u once said USCIS only belive in marriage certificate that is paper document from d necessary authority. Thanks

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Politico: 3:10pm On Oct 02, 2014
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by kayfuture: 3:33pm On Oct 02, 2014
VisaOfficer:

No wahala!!! Lmao.
you mixing up real good . Lol
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:33pm On Oct 02, 2014
VisaOfficer:

KweenCee, I just saw this question from you on another thread:

Do you really want to take the chance that we'll catch you being dishonest about your marital status in an attempt to circumvent U.S. immigration law? That sounds like a permanent ineligibility under INA 212(a)(6)(C)(i), material misrepresentation. I would strongly advise you not to look for shortcuts.
Hi VO,
Thanks for your advice.I won't take the chance of permanent ineligibility.We will either defer d wedding and file for a fiance visa or we have d wedding and file for spouse visa.I prefer to be honest and get everything smoothly done with.But another question is,hope the questions we ask on forums like this don't affect us later during the interview?Your candid answer will be appreciated.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tonyphil: 3:55pm On Oct 02, 2014
VisaOfficer:

I appreciate ur response....but she doesn't have a marriage certificate to file spousal.....
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:57pm On Oct 02, 2014
KweenCee:
Hi VO,
Thanks for your advice.I won't take the chance of permanent ineligibility.We will either defer d wedding and file for a fiance visa or we have d wedding and file for spouse visa.I prefer to be honest and get everything smoothly done with.But another question is,hope the questions we ask on forums like this don't affect us later during the interview?Your candid answer will be appreciated.

Yes, the questions you ask in these forums may well come up in the interviews. We would never refuse to issue a visa based solely on what someone writes here, but keep in mind that ANYTHING you post on social media may open up new lines of questioning for the officers. The internet is dangerous, my friends, and the footprints you leave online are there forever.

Conversely, we would never issue a visa based solely on what someone posts on Nairaland. We know that people aren't always exactly as they portray themselves on social media. We look at the totality of evidence, and the most important factor is always the interview itself.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:00pm On Oct 02, 2014
DobraDobra: Goodafternoon VO I hope d work is getting less now since we are beyound sept 30. Pls inrefrence to d above does family introduction where d parents and few sibblings just sit around to know each other constitut a traditional marriage at d embassy? Where there is no paper document to sho marriage. And I think u once said USCIS only belive in marriage certificate that is paper document from d necessary authority. Thanks

tonyphil: I appreciate ur response....but she doesn't have a marriage certificate to file spousal.....

I'm going to quote a response I posted a couple of weeks ago: This is an area where Nigerian law and U.S. law don't dovetail neatly. Traditional marriages in Nigeria do count as marriages and make people ineligible for K visas -- and if your fiance gives the bride price, that's a marriage under customary law. But because such marriages are often undocumented, the Nigerian spouse can't benefit from the IR1 or CR1 petition, because there's no piece of paper to submit to NVC. So people who have had traditional or customary marriages, but not a registry or religious marriage*, are stuck, unable to get either a fiance or a spouse visa.

The obvious solution is to go ahead and do the registry marriage in Nigeria, then apply for a spouse petition. The only reason that takes longer than a fiance petition is that you can file a fiance petition any time, but you can't file a spouse petition until after the marriage.

We do like to hear that people have met each other's parents... but if we know you've had an introduction ceremony, we'll be very curious about whether it was actually a traditional marriage, or just an introduction. Whatever the case, tell the truth, and you'll end up with the visa you qualify for.

(* Religious marriages are recognized for spouse petitions if there's a certificate from an established religious institution involved.)

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tonyphil: 4:00pm On Oct 02, 2014
tonyphil:

I appreciate ur response....but she doesn't have a marriage certificate to file spousal.....
Should I try to get a tourist?....am really devastated...she is 15 wks pregnant...so I won't be with her when she delivers...
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:07pm On Oct 02, 2014
tonyphil:
Should I try to get a tourist?....am really devastated...she is 15 wks pregnant...so I won't be with her when she delivers...

Unfortunately under the circumstances it is likely to be very difficult for you to obtain a non-immigrant visa... not impossible, but difficult. I wish I had better news for you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Politico: 4:28pm On Oct 02, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Just let us know at the interview. The name in your passport is the name that will appear on your visa.

Hello VO,

A cousin of mine, has a similar case with the one above, there was a mistake when filling the DS260 form, in the section where it asks 'have you applied for a US visa before' , they mistakenly clicked NO and its been submitted. However she's applied for student visa but was refused in the past when her petition was still pending. I hope it wont look like she's lieing, please what do u suggest.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tonyphil: 4:28pm On Oct 02, 2014
tonyphil:
Now der is overwhelming evidence to suggest that we ar married because I filed for k1..I guess when we file for spousal...I may need to show more "overwhelming" evidence to show we are married!!! It is well...
Despite my disappointments..I still apreciate ur efforts @VO

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 4:29pm On Oct 02, 2014
Hi VO,please what is the time difference between getting a fiance visa and getting a spousal visa?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:31pm On Oct 02, 2014
Politico:

Hello VO,

A cousin of mine, has a similar case with the one above, there was a mistake when filling the DS260 form, in the section where it asks 'have you applied for a US visa before' , they mistakenly clicked NO and its been submitted. However she's applied for student visa but was refused in the past when her petition was still pending. I hope it wont look like she's lieing, please what do u suggest.

She should let the officer know when she comes to her interview. It probably won't be an issue. If the officer asks her, she should explain what happened.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:33pm On Oct 02, 2014
KweenCee: Hi VO,please what is the time difference between getting a fiance visa and getting a spousal visa?

If a fiance and a spouse both filed today, the fiance case would probably be seen a month earlier (because fiances can schedule their own appointments online, but spouses are scheduled by the National Visa Center). If someone's trying to decide which petition to file, that probably means they're not married yet, and the I-130 can't be filed until after the wedding... so that would slow things down a bit, too.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:34pm On Oct 02, 2014
tonyphil:
Now der is overwhelming evidence to suggest that we ar married because I filed for k1..I guess when we file for spousal...I may need to show more "overwhelming" evidence to show we are married!!! It is well...
Despite my disappointments..I still apreciate ur efforts @VO

Thanks, we appreciate your attitude. We know it's a frustrating process.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tonyphil: 4:48pm On Oct 02, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Thanks, we appreciate your attitude. We know it's a frustrating process.
Dear VO, pls permit me to bother u once more...a sibling of mine says she went alone to the registry to get d marriage certificate without her spouse accompanin her...my fiancee just started a new job and it will b difficult for her to get a break and travel bac and forth due to her present condition..what if I can get the certificate on her behalf..will it be honoured by you?..thnks for your response
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 4:50pm On Oct 02, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Yes, the questions you ask in these forums may well come up in the interviews. We would never refuse to issue a visa based solely on what someone writes here, but keep in mind that ANYTHING you post on social media may open up new lines of questioning for the officers. The internet is dangerous, my friends, and the footprints you leave online are there forever.

Conversely, we would never issue a visa based solely on what someone posts on Nairaland. We know that people aren't always exactly as they portray themselves on social media. We look at the totality of evidence, and the most important factor is always the interview itself.
Please pardon my irresponsible question,i mean no harm.All these questions come up because this distance is really too much for us.For over two years we've apart except for his visits.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 4:53pm On Oct 02, 2014
VisaOfficer:

If a fiance and a spouse both filed today, the fiance case would probably be seen a month earlier (because fiances can schedule their own appointments online, but spouses are scheduled by the National Visa Center). If someone's trying to decide which petition to file, that probably means they're not married yet, and the I-130 can't be filed until after the wedding... so that would slow things down a bit, too.
Hi VO,i can't thank u enough for your prompt response.If we can have a traditional marriage and then have a court marriage at the registry,and also add our wedding invitation card and payment receipt for reception hall,
will all these serve as a proof of a bonafide marriage while we prepare for white or church wedding?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:22pm On Oct 02, 2014
tonyphil:
Dear VO, pls permit me to bother u once more...a sibling of mine says she went alone to the registry to get d marriage certificate without her spouse accompanin her...my fiancee just started a new job and it will b difficult for her to get a break and travel bac and forth due to her present condition..what if I can get the certificate on her behalf..will it be honoured by you?..thnks for your response

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the registry certificate have to be signed by both spouses in front of witnesses? I'm glad to be educated on this issue. smiley

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DobraDobra: 5:25pm On Oct 02, 2014
VisaOfficer:

I'm going to quote a response I posted a couple of weeks ago: This is an area where Nigerian law and U.S. law don't dovetail neatly. Traditional marriages in Nigeria do count as marriages and make people ineligible for K visas -- and if your fiance gives the bride price, that's a marriage under customary law. But because such marriages are often undocumented, the Nigerian spouse can't benefit from the IR1 or CR1 petition, because there's no piece of paper to submit to NVC. So people who have had traditional or customary marriages, but not a registry or religious marriage*, are stuck, unable to get either a fiance or a spouse visa.

The obvious solution is to go ahead and do the registry marriage in Nigeria, then apply for a spouse petition. The only reason that takes longer than a fiance petition is that you can file a fiance petition any time, but you can't file a spouse petition until after the marriage.

We do like to hear that people have met each other's parents... but if we know you've had an introduction ceremony, we'll be very curious about whether it was actually a traditional marriage, or just an introduction. Whatever the case, tell the truth, and you'll end up with the visa you qualify for.

(* Religious marriages are recognized for spouse petitions if there's a certificate from an established religious institution involved.)

Sorry MA not trying to flog this issue but to have a clear view. Scenerio* a lady LPR travelled on lottery single coss she was but has done family introduction yrs even b4 winning just because the parents request to know d immidiate relative of her boyfriend incase of anything and to know who d family are it was just a living room affair with fotos no dowry was paid. Fastward now she is coming back for proper wedding to file for d guy, at interview won't it be taken as she got her visa by deception if they decide to submit d foto of d family knowing each other meeting as part of prove that d relationship as been for long and the VO will say she lied about her status being single when she got d visa. Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:25pm On Oct 02, 2014
KweenCee:
Hi VO,i can't thank u enough for your prompt response.If we can have a traditional marriage and then have a court marriage at the registry,and also add our wedding invitation card and payment receipt for reception hall,
will all these serve as a proof of a bonafide marriage while we prepare for white or church wedding?

The most important thing will be the interview. Some people get married legally but their marriage is solely for immigration purposes and they can't talk about each other at all. Other people don't have much evidence to show, but they can talk about their spouse and their relationship. If you have a bona fide relationship with your spouse, you should be fine.

And don't worry about having asked that question on the other thread... I felt a chill sweep across this discussion forum!.... yes, I read the other threads, but I'm really not out to get anyone. I promise.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:27pm On Oct 02, 2014
DobraDobra:

Sorry MA not trying to flog this issue but to have a clear view. Scenerio* a lady LPR travelled on lottery single coss she was but has done family introduction yrs even b4 winning just because the parents request to know d immidiate relative of her boyfriend incase of anything and to know who d family are it was just a living room affair with fotos no dowry was paid. Fastward now she is coming back for proper wedding to file for d guy, at interview won't it be taken as she got her visa by deception if they decide to submit d foto of d family knowing each other meeting as part of prove that d relationship as been for long and the VO will say she lied about her status being single when she got d visa. Thanks

In the case you describe, we'd be so happy that she actually has a long-standing relationship with the young man that we wouldn't grumble too much about her status when she used the Diversity Visa. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tonyphil: 5:42pm On Oct 02, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the registry certificate have to be signed by both spouses in front of witnesses? I'm glad to be educated on this issue. smiley
Don't mind me...I guess der isn't any shortcut to it...just tired
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DobraDobra: 5:59pm On Oct 02, 2014
“We won't grumble too much about her status“ this is a big word anyway am always appreciative of ur help. The people will weight there options and see which will not cause them harm if ok to prove dia long relationship with d fotos or not. If the risk is too high for d lady while saying the truth end up being a major error. Enjoy the rest of your evening ma
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by buster(m): 7:15pm On Oct 02, 2014
good evening vo. My mum is a green card holder but not yet a us citizen. Does she have to become a us citizen before she file for me.and also wats d waiting time for a mother who files for her son who is above 21 years. And i also want to ask if Hiv testing is compulsory during the medical exams. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.